1906 Historical Encyclopedia Of Illinois & History
of Morgan County IL
& HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY
Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers, 1906.
MCCLERNAND, John Alexander, was, for a time, one of the distinguished citizens of Morgan County, having resided in Jacksonville from 1851 to 1856. He married a daughter of Col. James Dunlap, of Jacksonville. An account of the varied civil and military services of General McClernand is fully given in the preceding "Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois," on pages 359-360.
MCCONNEL, Edward , attorney and editorial writer, Jacksonville, Ill., was born in that city July 19, 1840, the son of Murray and Mary (Mapes) McConnel, natives of New York and New Jersey respectively. He received his primary mental training under private tuition, and subsequently became a pupil in the West District School of his native town, which, under the principalship of Dr. Newton Bateman, was probably the first effort made in the State toward the establishment of the graded-school system of instruction. After finishing his studies in this school, Mr. McConnel pursued a classical course of four years at Illinois College, graduating from that institution in June, 1859. On leaving college, he read law for a time, but relinquished his legal studies in 1861, and enlisted as a private in Company B, Tenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, one of the three-months' regiments which served their terms of enlistment at Cairo, Ill. On August 31, 1861, Mr. McConnel was appointed First Lieutenant in the Sixteenth Regiment United States Infantry, which formed a part of the Fourteenth Army Corps. With this regiment he served until March, 1866, when he resigned, holding commissions as Captain and Brevet-Major. Returning to Jacksonville, he sometime afterward resumed the study of the law, and was admitted to the bar in 1879. Since then, besides his legal practice, he has done considerable newspaper work of an editorial character. On December 7, 1874, Mr. McConnel was united in marriage with Mrs. Julia Walton Garetson at St. Louis, Mo.
In politics, Mr. McConnel is an earnest and influential Democrat, In
1894 he was elected to the Lower House of the Illinois General Assembly.
In 1896 he was promoted to the Senate, and in 1900, was returned to the
House of Representatives. Since the expiration of his last term of legislative
service, he has devoted his attention to the practice of his profession
and to his newspaper duties in connection with the "Jacksonville Courier."
He is recognized by all as possessing a high order of ability, and superior
literary and legal attainments, and maintains an enviable social and civic
standing in the community.
MCDONNELL, Henry, a well known citizen of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., who is engaged in the undertaking business, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, November 27, 1840, the son of Henry and Margaret (O'Maley) McDonnell, natives of Ireland. Henry McDonnell, Sr., was a blacksmith by trade, and was thus employed by Henry Ennis for many years. He came to Morgan County in 1849, after working for some time in St. Louis, Mo., and Springfield, Ill. The family originally came from the East, by way of the lakes to Chicago, then down the river to Naples, and on to Jacksonville by railroad. They were members of the Catholic Church, and the father was one of the first men in this region to organize those of his faith into a religious body. It was largely through his efforts that the first Catholic church in Morgan County was built. He died in 1890.
Henry McDonnell was about eight years old when he came with his mother, sister and two brothers to Jacksonville, where he received his mental training in the public schools. He was then bound out as an apprentice to learn the house painter's trade, which he followed until 1891. He executed many large contracts, among others those in connection with the schools for the Deaf and Blind, Illinois College, Illinois Woman's College, Grace M. E. Church, Centenary Church, the Catholic Church and Parochial School, Presbyterian Church, County Court House and many other public and private buildings. In addition to earning prominence in this line Mr. McDonnell also conducts one of the largest wall-paper and paint stores in Central Illinois, carrying with his other stock a choice line of pictures and frames. In 1891 he invented a kind of decoration for walls, spending about three years in New York in the work of introducing it. While thus engaged, he was obliged to return home, on account of sickness. He then engaged in the undertaking business, in which he has since continued, opposite the court house in Jacksonville. For four years he has also served as Coroner of Morgan County.
In 1866 Mr. McDonnell was united in marriage with Margaret McInerney. Of the five children born of this union, three are living, namely: John, an attorney of Jacksonville, who served in the Spanish-American War as Lieutenant of Company I, Fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry; Mary (Mrs. William H. Murphy), of Brooklyn, N. Y.; and Agnes, a saleslady with Marshall Field & Company, Chicago. Margaret died when five years old, and James, at the age of six months.
Mr. McDonnell has two brothers and one sister, viz.: James Franklin, of Morgan County; Patrick, of Chicago, and Margaret (Mrs. Michael Rabbitt), of Jacksonville. Patrick was a soldier in the Civil War. At the battle of Mission Ridge the color bearer was shot down, and Patrick, seizing the flag, bore it for some time, when he too was laid low with a ball in the thigh. He gave the flag to his Captain, and just as the latter planted the staff in the ground it was shot in two pieces. For his gallantry in this fierce engagement, Col. Alex. W. Raffen, commanding the Nineteenth Illinois Regiment, makes most commendatory mention of Patrick McDonnell. Since the close of the war he has been engaged in the wall-paper business, selling goods for prominent houses in New York and Chicago. His home is now in the latter city.
In politics, Mr. McDonnell gives his support to the Democratic party.
He has no specific fraternal connections, but is identified with the great
cause of humanity. In religion, he is a member of the Catholic Church.
He is a man of upright character, and, in his business life, bears an excellent
MCELFRESH, William McKendree, Rev., who resides at No. 629 Hardin Avenue, Jacksonville, Ill., has been actively engaged in ministerial duties, in association with the Methodist Church, for upwards of fifty years. He was born in Nicholas County, Ky., April 9, 1825, the son of John and Ann (Becraft) McElfresh, who had six children, William McKendree being the youngest.
Mr. McElfresh was reared on his father's farm and attended the local schools, but until he reached the age of twenty-two years was practically self-taught. His father and family removed to Morgan County, Ill., in 1834, and settled near Ebenezer, where John McElfresh had purchased a farm. John McElfresh and wife were both natives of Maryland. The former was an able preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church, being ordained a Deacon of the Baltimore Conference by Bishop McKendree in 1817. He traveled with the leading lights of the Methodist Episcopal Church in that day, although he was entirely a self-made man. He obtained his education by extensive reading of the best authors and in association with able men. He died in 1845.
In 1836, then in his eleventh year, William McElfresh professed religion at Ebenezer and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church the same day. On July 17, 1850, he graduated from McKendree College, which subsequently conferred upon him the degrees of A.M. and D.D. During the period of working out the problem of his education he taught school several terms. In the fall of 1851 he entered the Illinois Conference, then holding its session in the city of Jacksonville, Bishop Waugh presiding. His superannuation occurred, in the fall of 1895, under the presidency of Bishop Joyce, and at the conference held in the city of Jacksonville.
For forty-four years Mr. McElfresh was in the regular line of the itinerancy, without any cessation; during that period was appointed to eight circuits, ten stations and two districts and in 1872 was a member of the General Conference held in the city of Brooklyn, N.Y.
On October 25, 1853, Mr. McElfresh was married to Matilda J. Belford,
and of this marriage four children were born; two who died in infancy;
Annie, who was a student of the Bettie Stuart Institute, Springfield, Ill.,
and the Illinois Wesleyan College, Bloomington, and died April 1, 1903;
Katherin, who was a graduate of the Woman's College, Jacksonville, in 1884,
later pursued a teacher's course in the Chicago Musical College, and married
February 23, 1897, George Montgomery Blair, Sr., and has two children -
William McKendree and Marian.
MCFILLEN, James C. , was born two miles west of Literberry, near Arcadia, Morgan County, Ill., October 18, 1849, a son of James and Mary (Patton-Henderson) McFillen. The former was a native of Ireland, where he was born June 24, 1801, and the latter of Morgan County. James C. McFillen was one of a family of six children, namely: Lizzie, widow of Charles Durfey, who lives in Chicago; James C.; Belle, wife of Jeremiah Cox, who resides near Jacksonville, Ill.; Sarah L., wife of William E. Murray, of Literberry, Ill., who is in the implement business; Amanda, wife of J. W. Henderson, of Jacksonville; and Theresa, wife of J. R. Watt, of Jacksonville. The father came to the United States when a young man, and began working as a day laborer. He located in Morgan County during the '30s, and was among the earliest settlers of the county. He first worked in the Israel & Taggart distillery near Jacksonville, and afterward moved to the farm where his son James was born. There he lived until his death, in January, 1883. He was a member of the Catholic Church. He was thrice married, to his first union two children being born, namely: Bernard and Michael, deceased. His second wife was a Miss Haynes, who bore him one child, Mary A., wife of William Henderson, of Menard County, Ill. His third wife, previous to her marriage to him, was the widow of Ira Henderson, her maiden name being Mary Patton. Her father was David Patton, one of the early settlers of Morgan County.
James C. McFillen attended the district schools in boyhood, and remained at home until he was seventeen years old, when he began working by the month. This he continued to do for a few years, and then rented land until 1884, when he bought his father's old farm of 100 acres, which was also his own birthplace. There he remained five years, and then purchased his wife's home place of 112 acres, where her father died, and where Mr. McFillen now carries on general farming with successful results.
On February 17, 1876, Mr. McFillen was united in marriage with Alice K. Murray, daughter of James Murray, a sketch of whose life appears elsewhere in this volume. Mr. and Mrs. McFillen have had four children, but one of whom is living, namely: Elsie Edna, wife of George A. Dunlap, of Sangamon county, Ill., who has one child, James A. Of the three deceased children, Murray died at the age of eighteen months; Mabel I. passed away when four and a half months old; and Lela B. was eight years and four months of age at the time of her death. She had, however, been baptized, was an active worker in the Sunday-school and Epworth League Society, and was an exceptionally bright child. In 1897 Mr. McFillen moved to Jacksonville to educate his daughter, Elsie, in the Woman's Department of Illinois College, from which she was graduated with the class of 1901.
In politics, Mr. McFillen is a Democrat. For eight years he served as
District Commissioner and on November 7, 1905, was elected County Commissioner
for a term of three years. Fraternally, he is affiliated with Jacksonville
Lodge Nov. 4, I.O.O.F. He is a man of high character, and is respected
by all who know him. Mr. and Mrs. McFillen are both members of the Methodist
MCKINNEY, Archie B., who is successfully engaged in farming near Winchester, Scott County, Ill., was born in Lincoln County, Ky., May 27, 1857, near McKinney postoffice, which was named after his grandfather. He is a son of Alexander and Rosa Belle McKinney, of whom the former was born June 15, 1829, on a farm which became the site of the town of McKinney. His grandfather, Burton McKinney, was a farm born July 16, 1799, and his wife Lucinda Hocker, was born October 3, 1804. They owned considerable property near the site of the town of McKinney, and lived on a farm in that vicinity, but a few years before their deaths removed to Stanford, Ky., where they passed the remainder of their lives in retirement. Burton McKinney died July 16, 1871, his wife having preceded him April 27, 1863. They reared the following named children: William F., Mary J., Alexander, Ann Eliza and Nathan H., all of whom are deceased; Fannie, widow of B. W. Dunn, of Stanford, Ky.,; and James, who lives in that State. Alexander McKinney was born,, reared and died within two miles of McKinney. He married Rosa Belle Burton, a native of Kentucky, and they began housekeeping on a farm in the vicinity of McKinney, where they lived until the death of the husband. His widow still survives him, and is at the present writing (December, 1905) with her daughter, Mrs. Smith, in North Carolina. They became the parents of eight children, namely: Anna Belle and Mary E., who live under the maternal roof; William, who resides near the old home farm; Archie B.; Fannie, deceased; James, who lives in California; Samuel, deceased, and Bettie B. (Mrs. Smith), whose home is in North Carolina.
Alexander McKinney carried on farming and stock-raising all his life, and left a considerable estate. He was a member of the Baptist Church, and his wife of the Christian Church, and both took a deep interest in religious work. In politics, he was a steadfast Democrat, and died August 19, 1872.
In boyhood A. B. McKinney received his mental training in the district and public schools, and remained at home until he was twenty-four years old. At that period he went to Missouri, where he was engaged in teaming. In 1882 he came to Morgan County, Ill., and bought 55 acres of land in Section 30, Township 15, Range 11, situated eight miles east of Winchester, Ill., and known as the Samuel F. Campbell farm. Mr. McKinney has remodeled all the buildings on the place, besides adding several new ones. He now owns 127 acres in one body and successfully conducts farming and stock-raising. He devotes considerable attention to raising cattle, horses and Poland-China hogs.
On December 24, 1882, Mr. McKinney was united in marriage with Eliza E. Campbell, a native of Morgan County, Ill., and a daughter of Samuel F. and Nancy F. Campbell. Five children resulted from this union, all of whom are living on the home farm, namely: Roy B., Emma, Nannie, Sallie and Beatrice.
In politics, Mr. McKinney is a supporter of the Democratic party. Religiously,
he and his wife are members of the Christian Church, of which he was one
of the Deacons. Mr. McKinney is one of the most thorough farmers in his
section, is an upright man, and a citizen whose dutiful life reflects credit
upon the community of which he is so useful a member.
MCPHAIL, Eugene Enos, who is successfully conducting a dairy business in Jacksonville, Ill., was born in Brown County, Ill., October 23, 1861. He is a son of Enos P. and Minerva (Pettigrew) McPhail, natives of Illinois. After receiving his early mental training in the public schools in the vicinity of his boyhood home he applied himself to farming, and followed that occupation until 1898, when he undertook dairying, in which he has since been engaged. He came to Morgan County in February, 1898.
On March 29, 1883, Mr. McPhail was united in marriage with Mary Parker, a daughter of James Monroe and Jane (Clark) Parker, natives of Kentucky. Five of the children resulting from this union are living, namely: Maude, Eugenia, Alta, George and John Russell. One son, named Roy Edwin, died at the age of twelve years.
Politically, Mr. McPhail casts his vote regardless of party ties. Religiously,
he is a member of the Christian Church, in which he officiated as an Elder
in New Salem, Ill., and was also Clerk and Superintendent of the Sunday
school. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the I.O.O.F. He is industrious
and energetic in his daily life, and is a man of upright character and
MANLEY, W. C., M. D. -Doctor Manley, a practicing physician and surgeon of Franklin, Morgan County, Ill., was born in Knox County, Ill., July 18, 1849, the son of Archibald Manley, who was a native of Indiana and a pioneer farmer of Knox County. The subject of this sketch obtained his literary education in the common schools and Lincoln (Ill.) University; studied medicine with Dr. W. W. Hauser, of Lincoln, and later in the American Medical College, St. Louis, graduating from the latter in February, 1879, when he commenced the practice of his profession at Franklin in the spring of that year. Later he went to Chicago, where he spent one year in the Polyclinic Hospital of that city. He then practiced in Jacksonville, from 1896 to 1900, when he resumed his professional work in Franklin, where he is now located. He is a member of the Illinois State Medical Society, both Eclectic and Regular. Fraternally, he is connected with the Masonic Order, the I.O.O.F., the Eastern Star and the Rebeccas, Modern Woodmen, Protective League and Royal Americans. He is a member of the Christian Church, and politically, a Republican. He was married October 28, 1881, to Margaret E. Wright, daughter of James Wright, a farmer and pioneer settler of the county. She died August 3, 1903, leaving two children-Carl W. and Mary Almeda.
MASTERS, James Madison, (deceased), late a widely known and highly respected pioneer farmer of Morgan County, was born in Overton County, Tenn., April 3, 1818, a descendant of an old and honored pioneer family of that State. He was reared upon his father's farm, receiving a limited education in the subscription schools of his neighborhood. In his childhood the family removed to another part of Tennessee, whence they later removed to Illinois. Accounts as to the year of this removal differ, but some of Mr. Masters' living descendants state that they recall having heard him frequently assert that the family entered the State in 1818, the year it was admitted into the Union. Other accounts are to the effect that they did not arrive in Illinois until 1830. Their first location was on a tract of unimproved land situated about three miles northwest of the site of the city of Jacksonville. Shortly afterward the father brought his family to a log cabin which stood on the site of what is now the campus of Illinois College. In the fall of 1830 they again removed to a tract of land about a mile and a half west of Murrayville, which had been entered as a Government claim; and this was the home of James Madison Masters during the remaining years of his active life.
Mr. Masters commenced life with practically nothing. The land upon which he began his independent farming operations was partly timbered and partly covered with wild blackberries, and the task of putting it in condition for cultivation was an arduous one. But he possessed strong characteristics - determination, energy and perseverance - inherited from a long line of sturdy ancestors; and, applying himself to the task of developing a farm from the wilderness, he succeeded within a comparatively brief space of time. His energy was undoubtedly a powerful inspiration to many of his neighbors, and he was famed throughout the southern part of Morgan County for his vigor, his honesty and integrity, and his willingness to assist generously in the promotion of the public welfare at a period when such labor as this entailed often meant self-sacrifice in no small degree. As his years advanced he felt the lack of educational facilities which had hampered him in his earlier life, and succeeded, by much reading and intercourse with men, in securing a fairly liberal education for his day. His devotion to his family was very marked. Having been compelled in his youth to deny himself practically all of the luxuries of life, as well as many of its actual necessities, he determined to deny his family nothing which might add to their comfort and pleasure. To his neighbors he was also the same kindly, generous and public-spirited citizen, extending every assistance possible to make life more pleasant. In all respects the record of his life was not only pure, but supremely helpful.
Mr. Masters was married, in 1841, to Ann Rebecca Dinwiddie, who died in 1873. They were the parents of five sons and two daughters, all of whom are now deceased. It is worthy of note that the sole survivor of this family who bears the name of Masters is Arthur Madison Masters, of Jacksonville, grandson of James Madison. Of the children of James Madison Masters, William Thomas Masters was at one time Professor of Greek in Illinois College; James served in the Civil War, and Squire Davis Masters (whose sketch appears elsewhere) became one of the most successful farmers and stock-raisers in Morgan County. A brother of James Madison Masters named Davis Masters (an uncle of S. D. Masters, above mentioned) died in Menard County, Ill., February 22, 1904, aged ninety-eight years. He served as a Representative in the Nineteenth General Assembly (1854-56).
Representatives of early generations of the family also served in the Black Hawk War. Throughout the entire career of the family in Morgan County, it has occupied a position of prominence in the community, and the name is indelibly associated with the history of the county.
James Madison Masters, the subject of this sketch, died at the home
of his son, S. D. Masters, in Jacksonville, at noon, April 3, 1898, at
the exact age of eighty years, his birth having occurred at noon, April
MASTERS, Davis, Squire, (deceased), agriculturist and stock-raiser, Jacksonville, Ill., was born on his father's farm near Murrayville, Morgan County, Ill., August 8, 1848, and died at Citronelle, Ala., in the year 1904. He was a son of James Madison and Ann Rebecca (Dinwiddie) Masters, and a member of one of the oldest and most honored pioneer families of Morgan County. (See sketch of his father elsewhere in this volume). Mr. Masters received his education in the common schools and at Illinois College, which he left in his sophomore year to engage in business with his father. During the active years of his father's life, after S. D. Masters began his farming and stock operations until the retirement of the former, the two were closely and very successfully associated in business.
Securing from his father a tract of land, Mr. Masters at once began the raising of stock, in addition to general farming. But it was as a stockman that he became best known. The operations of both father and son became very extensive. Early in life S. D. Masters began the shipment of hogs and cattle to the markets. Demanding high prices from the outset of his career. Inasmuch as it became evident that the stock he handled was invariably of a superior quality, he received the highest prices quoted in the market. For five years he bought cattle in Texas, drove them to Morgan County himself, here fattened them for the market, and sold them at a high figure. He also dealt extensively in hogs. It is worthy of note that Mr. Masters at one time, during the later years of his life, reared a herd of 165 cattle whose average weight was 1,843 pounds - the highest average weight, considering the number, of any stock ever shipped from Morgan County.
In addition to the splendid business tact which guided him in all his operations, he applied strict scientific principles to his agricultural and stock-raising operations. There was little of the element of luck in his transactions. He was not only an expert judge of land values, which enabled him to accumulate land of the most productive quality, but he was one of the best judges of live-stock in the Middle West. He would never send a single head of stock to the market when it was in a condition which others would describe as "good enough"; he demanded that its condition should be as nearly perfect as the best of care and attention could render it. He was constantly on the lookout for methods of improving his land and the condition of his stock, and scarcely a day passed but that he visited some portion of his property. He accumulated an estate which includes over 3,200 acres of fine farming land, lying mostly in Morgan, but partly in Greene County, and much of this is said to be the equal of the finest land in Illinois for agricultural purposes. While a large portion of his estate was inherited from his father, Mr. Masters managed the property with far better judgment than most other men who commence life with paternal aid of this character; and it was solely due to his business ability that the property increased to the extent noted.
During all his mature life Mr. Masters was an active member of the Presbyterian Church. In young manhood he became a communicant in the Presbyterian Church at Murrayville, and upon removing to Jacksonville, in 1881, united with the State Street Church, in which he served for several years as Chairman of the Board of Trustees. He was intensely interested in the work of the Sunday School and the Young Men's Christian Association, and devoted much time to the former work outside of Jacksonville. Largely through his instrumentality, eighty new Sunday-schools in Illinois were organized; and the aid that he rendered in this direction cannot be overestimated. For several years he was President of the Morgan County Sunday School Association, and for about twelve years was a director in the Jacksonville Young Men's Christian Association, whose work he promoted in every way possible. Like his father he was a radical Republican in his political views, but he neither sought nor consented to occupy public office.
Mr. Masters was untied in marriage December 30, 1874, with Ella A. Lightfoot, daughter of Dr. P. F. and Sarah (Edwards) Lightfoot, of Murrayville. Dr. Lightfoot is now living there in retirement, after a long and useful career in medicine and surgery, being one of the oldest and most highly esteemed citizens and practitioners in that section of the State. (A more detailed record of his life will be found on other pages of this work.) To Mr. and Mrs. Masters the following named children were born: Leonard L., born December 8, 1875, graduated from Illinois College in the class of 1897, entered the law department of the University of Michigan (where he spent one year), and died suddenly of pneumonia May 5, 1900, at the age of twenty-five years, having married Rena French, daughter of Charles S. French, of Chapin, Ill.; Mary L., born November 6, 1887; Arthur Madison, born in Murrayville, July 31, 1878, graduated from Whipple Academy and Jacksonville Business College, and on September 1, 1898, married Lulu Gertrude, daughter of Carey Francis and Margaret Jane (Grimes) Strang, of Murrayville, and became the father of two children - Eleanor Strang and Florynce L.
The remarkable success which attended the operations of S. D. Masters
undoubtedly was due more to his peculiar genius in estimating land and
stock values than to any other individual agency. Inheriting from his father
a keen business instinct, his foresight and sagacity developed rapidly
as he began his independent operations. Though his transactions were frequently
very large and important, he had the faculty of carrying on business so
quietly that few persons knew the extent of his dealings. He was invariably
prompt and reliable in business matters, discharging all obligations with
scrupulous exactness. While very devoted to his family and always ready
and anxious to do everything possible for their comfort and pleasure, he
also assisted others when he was convinced that their cause was worthy.
He never paraded his generosity, but all his benefactions were bestowed
unostentatiously. He admired honesty, ability, and persistent effort in
the right direction quite as much as he admired success. In all his dealings
with his fellow men he was eminently fair and impartial, and his integrity
both in business and in social life was never questioned. Such a record
as this should prove not only a source of inspiration to the present generation,
but of pride and gratification to his descendants.
MATHEWS, Cyrus W., who is the owner of a very fine farm in the vicinity of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., of which city he is a prominent resident, was born on his father's farm seven miles east and one mile north of Jacksonville, on September 1, 1834. In boyhood he attended the district school of his neighborhood, and was subsequently a student in Illinois College. He remained on the home farm until September 16, 1862, when he enlisted in Company G, First Regiment Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, being attached to Gen. Fremont's command. Later he served under Gen. Hunter and Gen. Curtis. The regiment was dispatched by boat to intercept Gen. Price at Jefferson City and Mr. Mathews participated in the battles of Springfield, Sugar Creek and Pea Ridge. In August, 1863, his regiment was engaged in the battle of Cold Harbor, where Mr. Mathews had a horse shot under him, and his right knee was injured. He was then promoted to be Orderly Sergeant, and on many occasions was in command of his company. He was mustered out of the service at St. Louis in August, 1864. After the war, he returned home and had charge of the farm until February, 1866. His present place consists of 200 acres, on which he is engaged in general farming and stock-raising; and he also owns an interest in the paternal homestead.
On February 7, 1866, Mr. Mathews was united in marriage with Mary J. Welbourn, a native of Morgan County. Two children resulted from this union, namely: Alice F., who was a student in the Presbyterian Academy; and Edgar, who lives on the home farm. Soon after his marriage Mr. Mathews moved to his farm, which he cultivated until 1875.
In politics, Mr. Mathews is an earnest and influential Republican, and
in 1875 was a candidate for the office of County Commissioner, and in 1876
for that of Sheriff. He was appointed Postmaster of Jacksonville by President
Harrison, and served four years and two months. For ten years he held the
office of Township Treasurer; had been Chairman of his precinct, and, upon
several occasions, Chairman of the Republican County Committee, serving
in the latter capacity during the Yates gubernatorial campaign. Fraternally,
he is affiliated with the A. F. & A. M. and the G. A. R., of Jacksonville.
Mr. Mathews has been a very successful farmer, and is now one of the most
prominent citizens of the community in which he lives.
MATHEWS, Richard Thomas, retired farmer, Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill. Was born on a farm in that county, March 2, 1843. He is a son of Samuel Taylor and Sarah Ann (Adams) Mathews. The father was born January 21, 1799, in what was then Green County, Ky., near Bowling Green. Samuel T. Mathews was of Protestant Irish descent, being a son of Richard Mathews, born during the Revolutionary period, and probably a descendant of one of the original immigrants of the early Colonial days.
Samuel Taylor Mathews came to Illinois in 1821, and entered a tract of Government land in Morgan County, on Section 4, Township 15, Range 9, of which his son, Richard T., still owns a part. Samuel T. Mathews was married in Kentucky February 22, 1821, and when he came to Morgan County with his wife brought with him $5, a portion of which was still in his possession at the end of the year, there being little in that new country for which he could spend money. He ground his own corn, having built one of the first grist and sawmills in the county, located on Mauvaisterre Creek, and the only establishment of the kind known there for many years. On February 22, 1821, he was married to Sarah Ann Adams, who was born October 20, 1803, in what is now Mairon County, Ky., a daughter of Elijah Adams, a native of Maryland. In 1822 grandfather Mathews came to Morgan County, and soon afterward grandfather Adams followed. The Adams family in the county is now extinct. Nine children resulted from the union of Mr. And Mrs. S. T. Mathews, namely: Melinda J., deceased; Elijah A. and Richard W., who died in childhood; Margaret A., widow of Hezekiah Craig; Samuel T. and Cyrus W., both deceased; Sarah E., wife of J. W. Bab; John H., deceased; and Richard T., of Jacksonville. The father of this family continued to take up land and buy claims until he had about 1,100 acres of land, in all, and he has always engaged in farming and raising stock on a large scale. In 1875 he was instantly killed by falling from a tree.
In politics, Samuel T. Mathews was at first a Whig, but became a Republican in 1860. He served as one of the early County Assessors of Morgan County and for two terms as Sheriff first during the "big snow" and again in the forties. He was a member of the Legislature for two terms, knew Abraham Lincoln well, and visited that illustrious man's house in Springfield, taking his son Richard T. with him.
Soon after Mr. Mathews' arrival in Morgan County, the Cumberland Presbyterians built a church on his farm, which is said by Hiram Reeve, who came here in 1820, to have been the first church edifice erected in the county. S. T. Mathews and his wife are both buried on the farm. The former was a Captain, raised a company in the Black Hawk War, and was made Colonel, commanding a regiment in that conflict.
Richard T. Mathews was reared on the home farm and attended the country school, the Jacksonville public school, and Illinois College. He entered college in 1861, but left it the next year to join the army, enlisting August 15, 1862, in Company D, One Hundred and First Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, being mustered out June 7, 1865. He participated in all the battles of his regiment until he was wounded at the battle of New Hope, Ga., May 25, 1864, two bullets entering his left breast and shoulder, breaking the latter. One of these balls, which lodged under the ribs, he carried for nine years. In September, 1864, he rejoined his regiment at Atlanta, and participated in Sherman's March to the Sea and the Grand Review at Washington. After the war, Mr. Mathews resumed farming in connection with stock-raising and continued thus engaged on land secured form his father until he removed to Jacksonville in 1896. He now has 300 acres of the original farm, besides other lands within and outside the county, and lots in Jacksonville, where he lives in retirement exercising supervision over his farming interests. He is a member of the Matt Starr Post, G. A. R., and of the Order of Elks.
Mr. Mathews was married December 8, 1886, to Martha E. Welbourn, a native
of Morgan County, and a daughter of Wisdom and Rachael Welborn, who migrated
from North Carolina. He has led an industrious and successful life. Having
served his country well in time of war, and faithfully performed his duty
in all the relations of life, he is resting from his labors in the quiet
contentment of well earned repose.
MATTINGLY, Shelton J., (deceased), one of the oldest and worthiest of the pioneer settlers of the vicinity of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., who had made his home on the same farm continuously for nearly fifty years, was born in Washington County, Ky., June 22, 1817, and died November 24, 1905, aged eighty-eight years, five months and two days. He was a son of William and Nancy Mattingly, also natives of Washington County, Ky. William Mattingly died when Shelton was an infant, leaving two children. His widow was married sometime afterward to Reuben Bird, and in the fall of 1824 the family moved to Morgan County, Ill., settling about nine miles north of Jacksonville on a tract of Government land. There Mr. Bird died in the fall of 1826, leaving his widow and four children in straitened circumstances.
Mrs. Bird at once set to work at her loom to save sufficient money, aside from that required in the support of her family, to pay the indebtedness on the Government land on which she lived. Many of the old settlers can testify to her deftness and celerity in weaving, and in less than a year, she had $70 in cash stowed away in a teapot which was placed on a high self in the cabin. Nearly all the land in that vicinity was then entered, but Mrs. Bird was so highly respected that she was allowed to hold a squatter's claim. In the fall of 1827, however, prospectors desirous of securing lands, informed her that they had selected the tract on which she lived. After they refused to come to terms for the improvements made on the place, and resisted her many entreaties not to disturb her, she informed them that but $30 yet remained on the sum required to clear the tract, and they agreed to allow her one more day to secure that amount.
It was then late in the evening, and it was a difficult matter to borrow money on short notice. The case seemed almost hopeless, particularly, as, even if successful in securing it so hurriedly, a quick trip must be made to Springfield to perfect the transaction. Mrs. Bird, however, was not discouraged. She had an arduous journey before her and dark clouds covered the sky, but she set about her preparations with characteristic determination. Telling Shelton, who was then ten years old, to bring "Old Black" she hurriedly made her preparations for the trip. "Old Black," as many of the old settlers remember, was a noble animal, being nearly eighteen hands high, and very muscular. After the darkness of night settled down, Mrs. Bird, on her faithful steed, started for the head of Indian Creek, a distance of twelve miles, to borrow the required $30. Although it rained continuously, she succeeded in reaching that point without mishap and obtained the money.
Early next morning, she started for Springfield on the trusty animal. The roads were very heavy, but noon found her at Spring Creek, three miles west of Springfield. The storm of the previous night had swollen the stream and washed away the bridge, leaving but one stringer. Nothing daunted Mrs. Bird took the bridle rein, intending to walk over on the only remaining piece of timber and let "Old Black" swim across. Instead of swimming, however, the horse walked on the same timber, both performing the feat in safety. Soon afterward Mrs. Bird arrived at the Land Office, and on counting over the money, the Receiver, Mr. Enos, found a counterfeit dollar. Mrs. Bird borrowed a dollar from him to make up the deficit, and after partaking of his hospitality-which was very limited, as the whole family cooked, worked and slept in the same room-at three o'clock started for home, with her difficult task accomplished and her mind relieved of a great weight.
Mrs. Bird lived to see her children grown up and comfortably situated, and to do many acts of kindness and benevolence, not only for her own family, but her neighbors. She was a pioneer member of the Methodist Church, and always zealous in the Christian cause. She died in 1856, universally beloved and lamented, at the age of seventy-three years.
Shelton J. Mattingly, her son, lived on the old farm to the last, and
was one of the few among the pioneers of that region who had occupied the
same place for a period so extended. He was a sincere Christian, one of
the best of neighbors, and highly respected and cordially esteemed by all
who had the pleasure of his acquaintance.
MAWSON, John Robert, formerly one of the most enterprising and successful farmers of Morgan County, Ill., bur now living at leisure two miles southwest of Jacksonville, was born in Scott County, Ill., February 16, 1843, the son of Robert and Ann (Killam) Mawson, natives of England. Robert Mawson moved with his family to Morgan County about 1838. By occupation he was a farmer, and also had large interests in coal lands in Scott County. On locating in Morgan County, he purchased a small farm of 70 acres on which he spent the remainder of his life, dying in June, 1879, at the age of seventy years, his wife passing away in October, 1856, when fifty-six years old. They were the parents of ten children, namely: Mary Ann (Mrs. Robert Dobson); Elizabeth (Mrs. Robert Hembrough); Martha J. (Mrs. Jonathan Richardson); John Robert; Harriet (Mrs. Samuel Angelo); George who lives in Canada; William, who resides in Missouri; Abel; Fanny (Mrs. P. Ranson), who died at the age of forty-two years; and Phillis (Mrs. Joseph Allen), of California.
In his youth Mr. Mawson received his mental training in the district schools near his home, and assisted his father on the farm. There he was reared to manhood and has been a farmer throughout his life. He is now the owner of 400 acres of as fine land as Morgan County contains, which he has devoted to general farming and stock raising. On September 2, 1861, Mr. Mawson enlisted in Company K. Twenty-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in which he served three years. He participated in the battles of Belmont, Island No. 10, Iuka, Murfreesboro, Knoxville, Chickamauga, Dallas, Raccoon Mountain, Resaca and Atlanta, taking part also in many minor engagements and sharp skirmishes. He was honorable discharged and mustered out of the service at Springfield, Ill., on September 20, 1864. On returning home he applied himself to farming and continued thus until 1903, when he abandoned that occupation and moved to Jacksonville. There he first resided in virtual retirement, in his modern residence on South Main Street, but later removed two miles northwest of the city.
On April 13, 1869, Mr. Mawson was united in marriage with Clara, a daughter of Logan and Lucy (Carlton) Tankersley. This union has resulted in five children, as follows: Frank L., Lucy Ann (Mrs. Charles T. Mackness), of Jacksonville; R. D. Mawson; George L., who died at the age of nineteen years, and LeRoy, who lives at home.
Politically, Mr. Mawson is a stanch Republican. He served as Trustee
of Township No. 10, for six years, and held the office of School Director
for a period of twenty years. Religiously, he is a member of the Christian
Church, in which he was a Deacon for ten years, and has also been Trustee.
Fraternally, he is a member of Jacksonville Post, G.A.R.; is also affiliated
with the A.F. & A.M. and the U.W.A. orders. He has lived an upright
and useful life, and enjoys the unreserved confidence and unfeigned regard
of all who know him.
MAYFIELD, Milton, was born in Montgomery County, Ala., June 6, 1823, and came with his parents, Ennis and Mary (Myers) Mayfield, to Illinois when he was six years old. His grandfather, his father, and his father's brother were pioneer settlers in Morgan County, and in view of their prominent part in the affairs of the county, its early history would be incomplete without reference to the family. Milton's father died when the son was yet in his minority and his mother, only a few years later, leaving the son practically the head of the family. His uncles, Stephen and Manning Mayfield, and Dr. George and Dr. Monroe Mayfield, were men of more than ordinary education among the early settlers of that time, and did much to encourage education among the people. Manning Mayfield was educated for a lawyer, and taught night and grammar schools, to which his nephews came, and to which other ambitious youths walked miles to attend. The chief compensation that he received was the knowledge of the fact that his effort was needed and appreciated. In his early manhood Mr. Milton Mayfield taught the winter school, as it was then called in his neighborhood. He always took a great interest in education, and held some school office from the time he became of age until his removal to Jacksonville. His brothers attended McKendree College, at Lebanon, Ill., and his sister the Illinois Woman's College of Jacksonville.
Mr. Mayfield married Miss Elizabeth Caudle, of Scottville, Ill., who, after fifty-nine years of married life, still survives. There were six children born to them: Caesar, who died a few years ago from an accident received in the Chicago Union Stock Yards; Wellington and Goudy, who live in Chicago; Dr. Brock Mayfield, and the Misses Mary and Sarah Mayfield of Jacksonville.
Mr. Mayfield was a lifelong Democrat, and always took great interest
in politics, never missing an opportunity to vote with his party. He was
elected Sheriff of Morgan County, and removed to Jacksonville, where his
children were educated, and where he resided until his death, at the age
of eighty-two years.
METCALF, F. H., M. D., a practicing physician and surgeon of Franklin, Morgan County, Ill., was born in Jacksonville, Ill., December 5, 1862, the son of Samuel and Martha A. (Huntley) Metcalf, the father being a merchant of Jacksonville. The son was educated in the Jacksonville schools and the Chicago Medical College, where he was graduated in 1886, and later, for three and a half years, followed his profession in Kansas. In 1889 he settled in Franklin, Ill., where he has since conducted a very successful practice. He is a member of the American Medical Association, as well as of the State and County Medical Societies, and connected with the I.O.O.F. Dr. Metcalf was married, March 31, 1887, to May E. Larimore, daughter of Samuel Larimore of Jacksonville.
MILLIGAN, Harvey W., Dr. , (deceased), a most prominent, worthy and deeply lamented citizen of Jacksonville, Ill., and former Professor in Illinois College, was born in Alford, Berkshire County, Mass., April 26, 1830. He was a son of William and Laura (Edwards) Milligan, natives of Massachusetts. He grew up to manhood in New England-reared in a home circle, the heads of which inculcated in his mind and heart the sturdy virtues of Puritan stock. In 1853 he was graduated from Williams College, which, in 1856, conferred upon him the degree of A.M. It was his purpose to become a physician, and, by dint of frugal habits and close application, he completed a course of study in the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated in 1862. During his professional studies his subsistence was dependent upon his efforts as a teacher in the Pennsylvania Institution for the Deaf in Philadelphia, in which he continued as an instructor until 1865. Being prevented, by lack of means, from immediately entering upon the practice of medicine, he accepted the position of Superintendent of the Wisconsin Institution for the Deaf, at Delavan, where he remained three years. He was offered a position in the Illinois Institution for the Deaf, in Jacksonville, in 1868, which he accepted, and from that period became prominently identified with the scientific, philanthropic, educational and religious interests of that city. In 1882 he was made Professor of History and English Literature in Illinois College, and became greatly endeared to his pupils. The alumni of that institution, during the last twenty years of Dr. Milligan's life, always regarded him with affectionate veneration. He was not only a preceptor ripe in wisdom, but sustained to them the relation of an intellectual and moral father in his solicitude for their personal welfare and advancement. He was the College Librarian when the complement of volumes was very slender, shelved in an obscure and narrow space, and superintended their removal, when greatly increased in number and quality, to appropriate quarters in the Jones Memorial Building. Independent of his college work, Dr. Milligan was intimately identified with the general educational interests of Jacksonville. He was a principal promoter of the first Free Library and Reading Room, organized in 1874, and had the supervision of it until the Y.M.C.A. assumed control. He was a Trustee of the Jacksonville Free Library Asociation, and in this capacity, did much to pave the way for the present Public Library. He was a member of the Jacksonville Board of Education for two terms, and also of the Jacksonville Microsopical Society (organized in 1870), and the Jacksonville Historical Society, serving as Secretary of the latter body. Of the Jacksonville Horticultural Society and the Natural History Society, he was the founder. Almost from its inception, he was Secretary of the Literary Union Club, in which his influence and usefulness were manifest and generally recognized. His records of the proceedings of this body are a rich storehouse of knowledge. He was the author of a valuable work, entitled "The Government of the People of the State of Illinois," which occupies a high rank in literature of this character.
On March 16, 1856, Dr. Milligan was united in marriage with Josephine M. Wade, a native of Philadelphia and a daughter of Nelson and Royina (Mason) Wade. This union resulted in five children, of whom two survive, namely: Dr. Josephine and Laurance E.
In political convictions, Dr. Milligan was an Independent, believing
in free trade and the gold standard. Fraternally, he was affiliated with
Hospitaler Commandery, No. 31, Knights Templar, of which he was a charter
member. During the later years of his life he was a very devoted and active
member of the Congregational Church, in which he was reared in his New
England home. In this church he officiated, first as Clerk, and subsequently
as Deacon. The Sunday-school and Bible class were always sources of deep
pleasure and rich profit to him. Dr. Milligan was in every sense a model
man, an ideal citizen, and a consecrated Christian. To all whose heart's
desire yearns for "whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are
lovely, whatsoever things are of good report," his shining career
affords an uplifting inspiration.
MINTER, Mathew, instructor in shoemaking at the Illinois Institution for the Deaf, at Jacksonville, Ill., was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, March 1, 1847, the son of Michael and Margaret (Heilman) Minter, natives of Germany. In the fatherland, Michael Minter was by occupation a stonecutter. In 1854 he came to the United States with his family, landing in New Orleans, where, three months after his arrival, he died of yellow fever. His widow, with her sons and daughters, then journeyed to Illinois, and settled in Jacksonville.
Mathew Minter received his education in the public schools of Jacksonville, and at the age of fifteen years, began learning the shoemaker's trade with Godfrey Tendick. He worked for that gentleman twelve years, after which, in 1876, he started in business for himself on North Main Street, Jacksonville. This enterprise continued until September, 1897, when he was appointed to his present position. For twenty years Mr. Minter was an honored member of the famous old Fifth Regiment Band, and is in possession of a badge which he wore in that body while attending the funeral of Abraham Lincoln. He was personally acquainted with Mr. Lincoln, and heard the celebrated Lincoln-Douglas debates. Mr. Minter is President of the German-American League of Morgan County.
On June 30, 1870, Mr. Minter was united in marriage with Eveline Tefft,
of Jacksonville, a daughter of John and Rectina (Cobb) Tefft, who were
among the earliest settlers of Morgan County. Politically, Mr. Minter is
an earnest and active Republican, and from 1889 to 1891 served as a member
of the City Council of Jacksonville. Fraternally, he has been affiliated
with the Masonic order for thirty-three years, and for thirty-four years,
with the Odd Fellows. He is Past Master of Harmony Lodge No. 3, A.F.&A.M.,
of which he was Master for six years. He is a member of Jacksonville Chapter
No. 3, R.A.M., and Hospitaler Commandery No. 31. For thirty-four years
he has belonged to Illini Lodge, No. 4, I.O.O.F., in which he is Past Grand,
and was Treasurer for six years. He is Past Chief Patriarch of Ridgley
Encampment, and was its Financial Secretary for nine years. He is Past
Grand of the Rebecca Degree, I.O.O.F., and a member of Jacksonville No.
30, Court of Honor. Mr. Minter is a broad minded, well informed, public
spirited citizen, and holds a high place in the esteem of the community
in whose welfare he has felt a deep concern since he crossed the threshold
MITCHELL, James M., a worthy and well known citizen, Morgan County, Ill., who is successfully engaged in the coal business, was born in Pittsburg, Pa., June 21, 1831. He is a son of James E. and Mary (Melvin) Mitchell. In June, 1840, he came with his parents to Jacksonville, where, in boyhood he received his mental training in the public schools. In early manhood he applied himself to the milling business at the City Mills, being engaged in the buying and selling of wheat for about fourteen years. Subsequently, for about six years, he was engaged in the auction business on the Public Square, in Jacksonville. Still later, he undertook the manufacture of brick, in which line he was occupied for five years. Finally, he began dealing in coal, and now handles about 10,000 tons per years, his yards being located at the intersection of the Chicago & Alton and Burlington Railroads.
On May 1, 1860, Mr. Mitchell was united in marriage with Catherine Fitzgerald, a daughter of John Fitzgerald. Eight children were the offspring of this union, as follows: Clara B. (Mrs. Ralph Reynolds); Ida (Mrs. E. Whitmer); William, deceased; Edward M.; Clinton, of Jacksonville; Alexander, Stella and Clarence H. of Jacksonville. The mother of this family died in 1879, and in 1882, Mr. Mitchell was wedded to Lutha E. Brown, a daughter of Burton and Clara (Hilligass) Brown. This union resulted in four children, namely: Mina, Louise, Ruth and Fay, of whom the eldest is a teacher in the public schools and the others are students.
In politics, Mr. Mitchell adheres to the Democratic party, and has served
five terms as Alderman. Religiously, he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. He is a thoroughly capable business man, straightforward and upright
in all his transactions, and is regarded as a substantial member of the
MOORE, George W., farmer and ex-County Commissioner, residing seven miles east of Jacksonville, Ill., was born on the farm where he now lives January 1, 1833, the son of Dr. Edmund and Mary (O'Neal) Moore, pioneer settlers of Morgan County. (For more extended ancestral history, see sketch of Dr. Edmund Moore, preceding in this volume.) Reared on his father's farm, he attended the district schools of his neighborhood. Entering Illinois College, he was graduated from that institution in the class of 1856, with the degree of Bachelor of Science. Returning home, he assisted his father in the management of the farm until the summer of 1861, when he determined to respond to the call of President Lincoln for additional troops. At this time Captain Lewis of Jacksonville, was recruiting a company of cavalry to fill out Missouri's quota, and in this command, which became Company G, First Regiment Missouri Volunteer Calvary, Mr. Moore enlisted on August 20th of that year. Upon the organization of the company he was elected Second Lieutenant. The command proceeded at once to Missouri where, under General Fremont, it assisted in the work of driving General Sterling Price and his bushwhackers from Missouri into Arkansas. He also took part in the second campaign against Price, under command of Generals Curtis and Sigel. His entire service was in Missouri and Arkansas, and the operations of the army with which he was connected were directed principally against guerrillas and bushwhackers.
At the close of the war, Mr. Moore, returned to his home and reengaged in agriculture, to which he has devoted his life. He has applied modern methods to the industry, and his farm is regarded as one of the most finely cultivated and valuable in Morgan County. Much of his time has been devoted to stock-raising, in which he has been successful. A firm believer in the foundation principles and workings of the Republican party, he has been zealous in the promotion of its welfare in both township and county affairs. From 1887 to 1890 he served as County Commissioner, and for a period of thirty-five years filled the office of Township Trustee of School Funds. He has always been deeply interested in the cause of education, and in later years has served as Trustee of the Illinois Institution for the Education of the Blind, a post to which he was appointed by Governor Yates in 1901. His sole relation with secret or fraternal orders is his membership in Matt Starr Post, No. 378, G. A. R.
Judge Moore was united in marriage May 25, 1868, with Nancy M. Chambers, daughter of Colonel George M. Chambers, a sketch of whose life will be found in other pages of this work. She died in July, 1890, leaving one daughter - Eleanor Irwin, who resides with her father.
In closing this brief memoir of one of the most highly esteemed citizens
of Morgan County, it is but proper to record the fact that throughout his
entire life he has been regarded as a man of unimpeachable integrity, of
high personal character and an untiring devotion to the best interests
of the entire community. His interest in public matters has been unselfish,
his sole aim apparently having been to do what lay within his power to
elevate the social, moral, intellectual and industrial status of his native
county. In his dealings with others he has been actuated by the spirit
of the Golden Rule. He is a man of striking personal characteristics, his
intellectual attainments being most liberal for one whose nurture and employment
have been among the practical affairs of rural life. In association with
other men of culture and refinement, he has been able to appreciate learning
and share in the discussion of high themes. A broad-minded, useful citizen,
his career should prove a source of inspiration to representatives of the
MOORE, Edmund, Dr., (deceased), a pioneer physician and surgeon of Morgan County, was born in Elphin, County Roscommon, Ireland, May 26, 1798, a son of Lewis and Ellen (Lockwood) Moore. The paternal ancestry of the family is Scotch-Irish. Dr. Moore's mother was a descendant of the historic Shannon family, and had two brothers who attained great distinction in British military and naval affairs. One of these, a Lieutenant under Nelson, commanded a ship at the battle of the Nile, and also fought at the battle of Copenhagen and at Trafalgar, where Nelson was killed. He died at the Soldiers' Home at Greenwich. Another brother, who became a General in the British army, was in the East India service for many years, and died while in the East, the husband of an East Indian princess.
When Edmund Moore was an infant in arms, his parents came to the United States, locating temporarily at Frankfort , Ky. Soon afterward they removed to Florida, then a Spanish colony, and subsequently to Louisiana, then under French dominion, remaining about five years in the two provinces. Returning to Bloomfield, Nelson County, Ky., the elder Moore took up a tract of land and spent the remainder of his life there. There Edmund Moore was also reared and educated. After reading medicine under the supervision of Dr. Bemis at Bardstown, Ky., and attending lectures at Louisville, he began practice under a State license at Rockport, Ind., remaining there until his removal to Morgan County, Ill., in 1827. Here he was examined and licensed by the State of Illinois. Upon arriving in Morgan County he purchased a tract of land located about one mile east of the farm now owned by George W. Moore, his son, erected a cabin, and occupied that place about six years, practicing his profession and improving his farm. In 1833 he located on Section 29, of the same township, where he spent the balance of his life, dying there May 29, 1877.
Dr. Moore was a splendid specimen of manhood, mentally and physically. He typified the "doctor of the old school," immortalized by Ian MacLaren, the Scot novelist; for, during the half century of his residence in Morgan County, he was called upon to perform a vast amount of professional work for which he expected and received no remuneration. His practice necessitated very extensive rides throughout the surrounding country, and his trips to relieve suffering humanity were frequently attended by great personal risk, through exposure to the elements in a wild and sparsely settled country. Most of his early practice was accomplished on horseback, with the old-fashioned saddlebags. For many years there were no other physicians in his neighborhood, and it was not infrequently the case that he was called to ride as far south as Edwardsville. Many of his rides covered a distance of sixty miles or more from his home. He became an acknowledged expert in the diagnosis and treatment of the fevers and other diseases peculiar to the Illinois and Mississippi valleys. During the Black Hawk War he was Surgeon of the Third Regiment of Illinois troops, which rendezvoused but was not called into active service. During the War of 1812 he had endeavored to enlist for the service under General Harrison in the Canadian campaign, but was not accepted on account of his delicate health.
Dr. Moore was well acquainted with Abraham Lincoln as a boy and man. While practicing his profession in Spencer County, Ind., he was frequently called upon to attend the Lincoln family, but lost sight of the future President after his removal to Morgan County. After Lincoln's election to Congress, the two men met one day on the streets of Jacksonville, when the former, extending his hand to Dr. Moore, asked him if he did not remember his former patient. The Doctor finally recognized him and in later years reverted to the incident with feelings of great pleasure.
Though deeply interested in public matters, the only office which Dr. Moore ever consented to fill was that of Township Treasurer of School funds. A Whig in early life, he became a Republican upon the founding of that party, voting for John C. Fremont for the Presidency. In religion, stanchly devoted to Presbyterianism, he served as an Elder in the Pisgah Presbyterian Church for about thirty years.
Dr. Moore was married November 30, 1823, to Mary O'Neal, who was born near Bardstown, Ky., May 18, 1796, a daughter of Bryant and Ann (Cotton) O'Neal. Her father was born in Ireland, accompanied his parents to Virginia, was reared in that colony, and afterward removed to Kentucky. He served in the Revolutionary War, and for his patriotism and service, received from Patrick Henry, then Governor of Virginia (which included the territory now embraced within the limits of Kentucky), title to a tract of valuable land near Bardstown, Ky. Bryant O'Neal fought under St. Clair when the latter was defeated by the Indians in the Ohio campaign, and also under General Wayne at the battle of Fallen Timbers, near Fort Wayne. His son, Thomas, the only brother of Mary O'Neal, saw valiant service in the War of 1812. He fought throughout Harrison's campaign, helped to defeat the British forces at the battle of the Thames where Proctor surrendered and Tecumseh was killed, and personally assisted in the capture of the noted British General. He held a commission as Sergeant-Major in a regiment of dragoons. It is worthy of note that Ann Cotton O'Neal was an eye-witness to a battle between the British and Continental forces during the Revolution, which occurred in her father's wheat field in Fairfax County, Va.
A romantic incident of the Revolutionary period is related by George
W. Moore, son of Dr. Moore, and is here preserved for the first time in
print. During an engagement between the British and Colonial troops near
the home of the Cotton and O'Neal families in Fairfax County, Va., a British
soldier who had received a serious bullet wound in the abdomen dragged
himself to the Cotton home and asked for a drink of milk. This was furnished
to him by Mrs. Cotton, who invited the sufferer into the house that he
might receive the care and treatment necessary to his recovery. The milk
that he drank passed from his digestive organs through the wound, soothing
it and eventually curing him. He remained at the Cotton home, and ultimately
transferred his allegiance to the Patriot cause.
MORRISEY, William M., City Attorney of Jacksonville, Ill., was born in Northampton, Mass., March 26, 1874, a son of P. S. and Alice (Keefe) Morrisey. His father was born in Ireland in 1847, came to the United States at the age of ten years, and until 1877 resided at Northampton, Mass. Since that year he has been a resident of Jacksonville. Both parents are still living.
William M. Morrisey was educated in the country schools of Morgan County and at Brown's Business College. His first independent venture was as a clerk in the grocery business, but poor health prevented him from continuing in this line very long. On January 1, 1897, after recovering his health, he began the study of law in the office of Judge M. T. Layman; on January 1, 1900, was admitted to the bar, after examination before the State Board of Examiners at Mount Vernon, and since that time has been engaged in practice as the partner of Judge Layman.
Mr. Morrisey has taken an active part in politics, espousing the cause
of Republicanism. When Richard Yates announced himself a candidate for
the Governorship, in the fall of 1899, Mr. Morrisey was chosen Secretary
of the Republican County Central Committee, a post which he has continued
to fill to the present time. He was a member of the Inaugural Committee
in 1900; served as Deputy under Henry Yates when the latter was Internal
Revenue Collector for this district; was Secretary and Treasurer of the
Illinois State Institution for the Education of the Blind, from July 1,
1901, to July 1, 1903, and resigned the latter office to become City Attorney
of Jacksonville, to which he was elected in the spring of the latter year.
On April 18, 1905, he was reelected City Attorney, after one of the most
bitter campaigns ever waged in any of the municipalities of the State,
leading the entire ticket and receiving a majority of nearly 400. His majority
in 1903 was the largest ever accorded a candidate for the office in Jacksonville.
Mr. Morrisey was united in marriage April 12, 1904 with Katherine I. Keating,
a native of Jacksonville, and a daughter of Edward and Mary (Ryan) Keating.
Though a young man, he enjoys the esteem of his fellow-citizens in Jacksonville.
He has attained success in his chosen profession in the face of numerous
obstacles, chief of which probably have been long periods of illness, which
have incapacitated him for the work in which it has been his ambition to
make a success. He is a self-made man in every sense of the term, is possessed
of a public spirit and an inclination to accomplish everything possible
for the advancement of the community, and his integrity has never been
brought into question.
MORRISON, Isaac L., Hon. , (deceased, for nearly half a century one of the ablest and most highly reputed lawyers at the Illinois bar, was born near the village of Glasgow, Ky., January 26, 1826, the son of John Organ Morrison, his mother before marriage being a Miss Welborn, of North Carolina, and his father a native of Virginia. At the commencement of the Revolutionary War, his grandfather, Andrew Morrison, who was from the North of Ireland, lived with his family in the vicinity of Orange Court House, Va. He was a soldier in the Continental army and met his death at the battle of Brandywine. Mr. Morrison's maternal grandfather was Samuel Welborn, of North Carolina, who also served in the Revolutionary War in the campaigns of Gen. Greene against Cornwallis. In 1793, at the age of twenty-one years, John Organ Morrison left Virginia and settled in Kentucky, where he pursued his vocation of farming. He departed this life when his son, Isaac L., was fifteen years old, and the latter being the eldest of the sons at home, assumed the management of the farm, in the meantime reading historical works and endeavoring to acquire knowledge from all possible sources. Thus he spent the time until he reached his twentieth year, when he pursued a two years' course of study in Masonic College, Kentucky. He then entered upon the study of law, for eighteen months reading in the office of a prominent attorney in his vicinity. In 1851 he left Kentucky and located in Jacksonville, Ill., where he spent the remainder of his life. As a lawyer, he speedily gained a conspicuous standing which he ever afterward maintained. He was particularly skillful as a special pleader and in the examination of witnesses. He was thoroughly versed in corporation law, and among his clients was the Jacksonville Southeastern line. He was a man of broad and varied information, a profound student of history, and a rare Shakesperean scholar.
For the first few years of his law practice, Mr. Morrison was associated with Cyrus Epler. After the dissolution of that firm, about 1870, Judge H. G. Whitlock and William G. Gallaher successively became his partners, and on the death of the latter J. P. Lippincott was admitted to the firm. On the retirement of Judge Whitlock from active practice, Hon. Thomas Worthington entered the firm, and subsequently in 1899, John J. Reeve became a member. Mr. Morrison practiced in the State and Federal Courts, and was generally regarded by the bench and bar as among the most forceful of Illinois lawyers. His office was the law school from which were graduated a number of prominent legal practitioners, including Richard Yates and the late Judge R. D. Russell, of Minneapolis. To young struggling lawyers Mr. Morrison was ever helpful, and he never hesitated to give the worthy poor gratuitous advice and service.
Mr. Morrison was among the organizers of the Jacksonville National Bank, chartered in 1872, and was a member of its first Board of Directors. To that position he was reelected every year during his subsequent life, acting also as Attorney for the institution. At the time of his death he was the last survivor of the original Directors.
On July 27, 1853, Mr. Morrison was married to Anna R. Tucker, of New York City, a daughter of Jonathan and Miriam (Weeks) Tucker. Two children resulted from this union, namely: Alfred T., and Miriam M., wife of Thomas Worthington, a distinguished lawyer, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume, and who for many years was United States District Attorney for the Southern District of Illinois.
In politics, Mr. Morrison was a strong Republican, and a potent factor
in the councils and campaigns of his party. He was a clear, impressive
and convincing public speaker, and his services on the stump were of high
value. The first Republican State Convention held at Bloomington in 1856,
as also that of 1860, included him among its members. He was a delegate
to the Republican National Convention, in 1864, and during that year served
as a member of the Republican State Central Committee. In 1876, 1878 and
again in 1882 he was elected a Representative in the Illinois Legislature
from the Morgan district, and during the session of the last named year
was the recognized leader of his party on the floor of the Lower House.
He was Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, and as such was instrumental
in shaping all the important legislation of the session, including the
famous Harper Bill. In 1880 he was his party's candidate for Congress,
and largely reduced the ordinary Democratic majority in the district. Mr.
Morrison was an active member of Trinity Episcopal Church, of which he
was Vestryman, and to which he was a liberal contributor. His busy, dutiful
and useful life came to a deeply lamented end February 27, 1901.
MORTON, Joseph, Col., (deceased, was born in the State of Virginia, August 1, 1801, a son of Robert and Elizabeth (Sorrels) Morton. The Morton family settled in Bledsoe County, Tenn., where, in March of that year, Robert Morton died. His widow subsequently married Wiley Kirby, and soon afterward moved to Adair County, Ky., where in 1825, Mr. Kirby died. In 1828 Mrs. Kirby and her family journeyed to Morgan County, Ill., where she, too, passed away. Joseph Morton received his early mental training mainly in Madison County, Ky., and in the fall of 1820, before the county survey was made, located on Government land just east of Jacksonville. He was one of a dozen or fifteen pioneer settlers in Morgan County, and was a farmer and stock-raiser. He assisted in building several of the first log cabins in the county.
On April 27, 1823, Col. Morton was united in marriage with Mary Odle,
a native of Kentucky, and a daughter of Daniel Odle. Both of her parents
were born in Kentucky. The union of Col. Morton and wife resulted in thirteen
children, namely: Minerva, Charles, Clarinda, Helen, Joseph, Andrew, William,
Mary, Francis, George, James and Thomas. In politics, Col. Morton was an
unswerving but independent Democrat, and a potent factor in the local councils
and campaigns of his party. He was elected to the Lower House of the Illinois
Legislature in 1836, while the State capital was still at Vandalia. He
was again elected to this body in 1846, and in 1854 was chosen to the State
Senate. In 1862 he was a member of the Constitutional convention. He took
the census of Morgan County, then including Scott and Cass Counties. In
1835, he superintended the taking of the State census. Religiously, Colonel
Morton was a member of the Christian Church. He was a man of strong character,
resolute, keen, courageous and persevering, and possessed all the qualities
essential to success in the pioneer period. He died on March 2, 1881.
MORTON, Francis M., who was formerly prominent in agricultural affairs in Morgan County, Ill., now living retired in his pleasant home at 715 South Main Street, Jacksonville, was born on his father's farm, in Morgan County, October 8, 1841. His parents were Joseph Morton, better known as "Colonel" Morton, and Mary (Odle) Morton. Joseph Morton came to Morgan County, Ill., in the fall of 1819, and commenced farming the following year. He assisted in building the first log cabin erected in the county, in 1820; was a progressive man; for two terms was a member of the Illinois House of Representatives and one term of the State Senate from Morgan County, and at one time held an estate of about 800 acres. He died March 2, 1881.
Francis M. Morton was raised to farming, attended the public schools and was two years in Berean College (Christian Church State College). He then returned to the home farm and was married January 27, 1863, to Maria Louisa Orear, daughter of George and Sarah (Heslep) Orear-farmers, and since 1835, representing a very prominent family of Morgan County. After their marriage Mr. Morton and wife continued to live on the old homestead until 1889, when they moved to Jacksonville. They became the parents of two sons, Gilbert W. and George C. Gilbert W., who is a farmer of Morgan County, married Nellie C. Matthews, and they have five children: Mary Louisa, John Francis, Mamie A., Orear and Sarah Alice. George C., who holds a position under the Government as a member of the State Live-Stock Commission, at Chicago, married Anna M. Matthews, and is the father of one son, George M.
Mr. Morton is a member of the order of Elks, and a Democrat in politics;
Mrs. Morton is identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and their
attractive home is situated in a pleasant part of the city.
County main page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their