1906 Historical Encyclopedia Of Illinois & History
of Morgan County IL
& HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY
Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers, 1906.
LAMBERT, John, formerly an extensive and prosperous farmer of Morgan County, Ill., now living in retirement in Jacksonville, was born at Canaan, Conn., May 4, 1835, a son and only child of Eli and Elizabeth (Gleddell) Lambert, natives of Yorkshire, England. His mother had been previously married, and by the first husband had seven children, five of whom died young. Eli Lambert, who was employed in the woolen mills of the East, journeyed West in the spring of 1839 - traveling by river, canal and stage - and located in Morgan County, where at $3.50 per acre, he bought 80 acres of land on Indian Creek, near Literberry. There he built a hewed-log cabin, which is still standing, containing one room, with puncheon floor, and bought a yoke of oxen and a horse. In the summer of 1839 his wife, with her three children - her son, Joseph, being a young man - came down the Ohio River in a row-boat, camping along the way, and reached St. Louis from the mouth of the Ohio by steamboat. Thence the two other children continued the journey by stage. John Lambert was then a little over four years of age. Eli Lambert died in 1846, at the age of fifty-four years. He was employed in the woolen mill at Jacksonville, and cleared up the farm in the winter. At a later period, he and his son bought a carding mill at Berlin, Ill., in which venture he lost nearly everything but the 80 acres which he first purchased. His wife died March 12, 1872, at the age of seventy-seven years.
In boyhood, Mr. Lambert attended the subscription school in the vicinity of his humble home, walking two miles to reach the log house in which he learned his first lessons. It had slab benches for seats, and a slab the length of the room for a writing desk. His first teacher in this school was a Mr. Snyder, whose charge for the term was $3 per quarter for each pupil. Mr. Lambert was eleven years old when his father died. As soon as he was able, he assisted his brother in clearing the farm, grubbing and other work, until the place was in good condition for cultivating. He continued to make additions to the homestead property, until he was the owner of more than 500 acres of land, and in 1887 moved to Jacksonville, where he now lives in retirement.
On September 25, 1877, Mr. Lambert was united in marriage with Sarah Hickman, who was born in Morgan County, and was a daughter of Edward Hickman, a native of England. He emigrated to this country and married Mary Shepherd, who bore him five children, as follows: John E., who lives in Morgan County; Samuel I., a resident of Jacksonville; Sarah; William S., who died at the age of three years, and one child who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Lambert became the parents of three children, namely: Ada M.; May B.; and Edward E., who died in 1903, at the age of twenty-two years.
Edward Hickman, Mrs. Lambert's father, was a soldier in the Civil War. In 1862 he enlisted as a private in Company I, One Hundred and First Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. At the battle of Resaca he was wounded, and died of gangrene resulting from the wound. His wife died October 6, 1900, aged seventy-two years.
In politics, Mr. Lambert gives his support to the Democratic party,
and is a member of the Methodist Church. He is one of the few survivors
among the early residents of Morgan County, and to the sterling qualities
possessed by him and his contemporaries - their honesty, industry, perseverance
and endurance - its prosperity is largely due.
LANE, John M., Rev., (deceased), one of the most devoted, faithful and efficient of the early ministers of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Morgan County, Ill., was born in Madison County, Ohio, October 26, 1826. He was the youngest son of Rev. Joseph and Margaret (Krouse) Lane, natives of that State. His father was a teacher in the public schools, and also a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church. In boyhood Mr. Lane attended the district schools in Ohio, and in his nineteenth year became a pupil in the Danville (Ill.) Seminary, where his scholastic training was completed. Quite early in youth, he was converted to Christ and united with the denomination to which his father belonged, in which a few years later he was licensed to preach.
In the fall of 1853, Mr. Lane was received into the Illinois Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and remained in that connection until his death. He was at one time junior pastor with Newton Cloud on the Lynnville Circuit, Morgan County, and was pastor for two years on the Concord Circuit. As to his church appointments, he was sent, in the fall of 1860, to a church in the western portion of Springfield, Ill., and there, in the summer of 1862, was stirred to patriotic ardor by the President's call for 300,000 more men to serve the Union. Shortly afterward, while in charge of the church at Moweaqua, Ill., he was instrumental in raising a company of soldiers, of which he was made Captain. It was mustered into the service as Company E, One Hundred and Fifteenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with Jesse Hale Moore, a former pastor of Grace Church, Jacksonville, as Colonel. Mr. Lane went to the seat of war, and remained with the company until his health was so much impaired that he was compelled to resign. While in the military service, he filled (on Sundays) a church pulpit at Alexandria, Va. He also preached, almost every Sabbath during his connection with the army, either in camp, or in the churches near which the soldiers were stationed. Returning home in 1863, he spent some time, for the purpose of recuperation, upon the farm of J. Sibert, near Meredosia, Ill. In the fall of 1866, he was appointed to organize a church society in the then rapidly growing southeast section of Jacksonville, and the Brooklyn church structure resulted from his efforts in that direction. Death claimed him, however, before his task was finished. He died August 6, 1867, when the walls of the edifice were about two-thirds raised, a martyr to his country's cause.
On October 5, 1858, Mr. Lane was united in marriage with Mary E. Sibert, a daughter of Jeremiah and Eliza (Wildey) Sibert, the ceremony taking place at their "Diamond Grove" home, in the vicinity of Jacksonville. Two children resulted from this union, namely: William J., who resides with his mother in Jacksonville; and Margaret L., wife of Charles S. Anthony, of Los Angeles, Cal.
Politically, the sympathies and views of Mr. Lane were in accord with
the policies of the Republican party. His first Presidential vote was cast
for Abraham Lincoln. In 1865, while in Meredosia, he was nominated on the
Republican ticket in Morgan County, as one of the Associate Justices of
the Peace. Mr. Lane was a faithful and steadfast soldier of the Cross,
and his diligent and untiring service in the cause of his Master resulted
in the conversion of many souls. His mortal remains now repose in Diamond
Grove Cemetery, near Jacksonville.
LANG, Edward J., Col., the efficient Superintendent of Building and Construction, and Instructor in Woodworking, at the Illinois Institution for the Deaf, in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born at Paris, Ill., April 10, 1867. He is a son of William H. and Mary A. (Casson) Lang, natives of Virginia. His parents journeyed to Illinois, and located at Paris, Edgar County. His father was a prominent contractor and builder of that city, where he died in 1903, his widow still surviving him as one of its residents.
In youth, Edward J. Lang attended the public schools of Paris, and graduated from the city High School, subsequently taking private lessons in architecture. He learned the carpenter's trade with his father, and became a building contractor in 1892. In that line he continued until the time of his appointment to his present position. Since then he has discharged the duties of this office, making Jacksonville his home, with the exception of the period spent as major in the Fourth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, during the Spanish-American War. He departed for Cuba with the regiment, January 1, 1899, serving in the Seventh Army Corps, under the command of Gen. Fitzhugh Lee. The regiment returned to the United States May 4, 1899, and was mustered out at Augusta, Ga. Mr. Lang then resumed the duties of his former position in Jacksonville.
Col. Lang's service in the State Militia is worthy of notice. On April 20, 1887, at Paris, Ill., he enlisted in Company H, Eighth Regiment Illinois State Militia. He was promoted to be Corporal, then Sergeant, and in 1890 was elected Second Lieutenant. Soon afterward, he was elected First Lieutenant, and, in 1893, Captain. He was twice elected Major of the Fourth Regiment Illinois State Militia, which has meanwhile been changed from the Eighth, and in that capacity he served, with high credit, throughout the Spanish-American War. After that war he was elected Lieutenant-Colonel of the Fourth Regiment, to which rank he was reelected June 8, 1904. On June 8, 1905, he was elected Colonel, which office he now holds, with regimental headquarters in Jacksonville.
On July 9, 1898, Col. Lang was united in marriage with Lillie Hybarger,
of Paris, Ill., a daughter of Rufus and Margaret (Elledge) Hybarger. Religiously,
Col. Lang is a member of the Baptist Church. In politics, he is a Republican,
and fraternally, is affiliated with Apollo Lodge, No. 57, K. of P., of
LARIMORE, Samuel Hugh, retired, Jacksonville, Ill., was born on a farm two miles northeast of that city, March 14, 1834, and is a son of Thomas Jefferson and Priscilla (Broadwell) Larimore. His father, who was born in Bourbon County, Ky., in 1799, was a son of Hugh Larimore, who emigrated to Kentucky from New Jersey or Maryland. He came to Illinois in 1830, and between that year and 1833 took up Government land which is included in the present farm of Samuel H. Larimore. He left the State temporarily in 1833, spending a short time in Kentucky, but after his return passed the remainder of his life in Morgan County. For several years he spent his winters in Jacksonville, for the purpose of giving his children the advantage of attendance at the colleges of that city. In the early years in Morgan County he conducted a general merchandise store at Jacksonville, and he and his brother-in-law, Rev. James B. Corrington, erected a home on the site of the "Pacific Hotel," East State Street. He was a devoted Methodist, was a Trustee of the woman's College for many years, and at one time was a member of the State militia. Originally a Whig, he became a Republican upon the founding of that party, and though deeply interested in its welfare, never cared for public office. His death occurred April 10, 1865.
To Mr. Larimore and his wife the following named children were born: Ann Elizabeth, who died in infancy; Mary Louise (deceased), married Asbury Milton Foster; Samuel H.; Priscilla; Thomas (deceased), who married Aquila King; John Wesley, deceased; William Henry Harrison and Wilson Hobart, both of Girard, Kans.; Lydia Jane, wife of Dr. James Polk Willard, of Denver, Colo.; Elizabeth Ann, deceased. Thomas J. Larimore was a public-spirited and influential citizen, and one whom others delighted to honor. He will be remembered by many of the older generation as a man of strong character and unquestioned integrity.
Samuel H. Larimore was educated in the early subscription schools and Berean College, a school established by the Christian denomination in Jacksonville. Soon after the completion of his college course, he was employed by his father for a time in the manufacture of linseed oil. On December 30, 1858, he was united in marriage with Lucinda Stout, a native of Morgan County and a daughter of Theodore and Hannah (Phillips) Stout. Her father came from Ohio to Illinois about 1832 and located on a farm about seven miles northeast of Jacksonville, where he spent the remainder of his life, dying in June, 1864. His wife died in September, 1852. The children of Theodore and Hannah Stout were: Emeline (deceased), was married to Jonathan Sharp; Martha (deceased), who married Aaron Hatfield; Sarah (deceased), wife of David Samples; Hattie (deceased), wife of John W. Martin; Margaret, wife of John P. Runkle; Mrs. Larimore; Louisa (deceased), who married William Self; and Theodore, of Jacksonville. By his second marriage with Emily (Dunlap) Foley he became the father of one son, William, now deceased.
After his marriage, Samuel H. Larimore engaged in agriculture on land given to him by his father. From time to time he made additions to his land by purchase until he now owns about 400 acres, all under cultivation. Since 1869 he and his wife have resided in Jacksonville; and during these years he has left the operation of his farm largely to others. Originally a member of the Brooklyn M.E. Church, he has of late years been identified with Centenary Church, in which he is Trustee. In politics he was formerly a stanch Republican, and though still believing in most of the principles of that party, he has voted the Prohibition ticket for a number of years. Mr. Larimore and his wife have had seven children, of whom one son, William Francis, died at the age of two years. Those surviving are: Alice, wife of Arthur S. Edwards, of Greenfield, Ill.; May Emma, wife of Dr. F. H. Metcalf, of Franklin; Charles Wesley, who resides near Atlanta, Ga.; Samuel Bert and Myrtle (twins) - the former residing with his brother, Charles Wesley, and the latter at home; and Phoebe Helen, wife of Lloyd William Snerly, of Jacksonville.
Mr. Larimore is a representative of the best type of native born citizens
of Morgan County, within whose borders his entire life has been spent.
He has co-operated cheerfully with his fellow citizens in all well considered
efforts to advance the general welfare of the county, and has shown a charitable
disposition in his dealing with those with whom he has come in contact.
He and his wife, both of who are honored by a large circle of friends,
are entitled to recognition among the best citizenship of Morgan County,
and to representation in the annals of the State and county.
LAYMAN, Montreville Fitts, who is among the most able and prominent members of the bar of Morgan County, Ill., and one of the most popular citizens of Jacksonville, Ill., was born in Franklin County, Ill., October 31, 1844, the son of John D. and Nancy (Henry) Layman, natives of Alabama and Tennessee, respectively. The father was reared in Alabama and settled in Illinois at an early period. He married Nancy Henry in Franklin County, and there spent the remainder of his life, dying when his son, Montreville, was a child. He was of German ancestry, while the mother's derivation was English, and by occupation he was a farmer and a school-teacher.
The subject of this sketch grew up on a farm in Franklin County, Ill., and received his early mental training in the public schools of that county, teaching there until 1868. In 1870 he taught school in Morgan County; also attended a private law school in Benton, and in the year named was admitted to the bar. He began the practice of his profession in that place, and in 1873 moved to Waverly, Ill., locating in Jacksonville in 1875, where he has since been engaged in general professional work.
On January 12, 1871, Mr. Layman was united in marriage with Elizabeth Austin, a native of Morgan County, and a daughter of Eli Austin, of Hart's Prairie, Ill. Four children were born of this union, namely: Hattie M., who died in childhood; Clara M., wife of Rev. Clyde L. Hay; Elsie and Bessie.
In politics, Mr. Layman is an ardent and influential Republican, and
takes an active and effective part in the campaigns of his party. He has
served one term as a member of the City Council of Jacksonville and in
1882 was elected County Judge of Morgan County, performing his duties with
especial dignity, ability and impartial firmness. He is now a member of
the State Board of Pardons, having been appointed to that position by Gov.
Yates in October, 1902. He is a member of the Grace Methodist Episcopal
Church, and highly esteemed throughout Morgan County, both as a lawyer
and a man.
LEACH, John, Sr., (deceased), who was generally known throughout Morgan and the surrounding district as one of the successful farmers and stock raisers of Morgan County, was born in Yorkshire, England, March 25, 1823, the son of John and Ann (Duckels) Leach. In the spring of 1829 his parents came to America, settling in Morgan County, his father entering a Government claim about three miles west of Jacksonville, its location being one of the most sightly and attractive in the entire State of Illinois. He had been reared to agriculture in England, and came to America finely equipped to take his part in the scheme of agricultural development which was then engaging the attention of large numbers of immigrants to the new Western country. His first claim was a tract of 160 acres, to which he soon added by the purchased of 40 acres, giving him a fine farm of 200 acres in one of the most beautiful agricultural regions of the West. He was at first discouraged with the outlook in Illinois and desired to return to his native land, but his wife insisted that they remain, principally because of the benefits which would accrue to the children in the family. His descendants have since had reason to rejoice in his ultimate decision in the matter. The elder Leach died December 26, 1872, at the age of eighty-six years. His wife died August 17, 1881, at the age of ninety years.
John Leach, Sr., enjoyed but limited education facilities, though he made the most of the opportunities in this direction which presented themselves. Under the capable instruction of his practical and hard working father, he became familiar with all branches of farm work. Purchasing his father's farm of 200 acres, he added thereto from time to time always exercising great care in the choice of his land, so that it would center about the site of his home, until he finally was the possessor of 1,000 acres. Some of this land is estimated to be worth, on the open market, fully $150 per acre; and all of it is very fertile and easily cultivable.
The life of the deceased was one of great activity, and diligence and industry were his watchwords. He was highly interested in all movements looking toward the elevation of the status of the agriculturist, and was one of the founders of the Morgan County Fair Association, the first agricultural society organized in the country. In the two associations which succeeded it he was an active and influential member. A stanch Republican, he filled those local offices which he felt it the duty of every good citizen to occupy, but never desired to enter the broad field of politics, except as a worker in the ranks of the party. Mr. Leach died January 2, 1893, and his demise was regarded as a distinct loss to the county.
On February 9, 1853, Mr. Leach was united in marriage with Mary Ann
Beilby, who was born in Morgan County, June 29, 1835, a daughter of Samuel
and Georgiana (Reid) Beilby, both natives of England. They first located
on the island of Jamaica, West Indies, where Mr. Beilby had a coffee plantation
near Kingston. About 1830 they came to Morgan County, Mr. Beilby conducting
a store at Lynnville until his death in 1836. Mr. and Mrs. Leach were the
parents of the following children: Georgiana, wife of William Coultas,
born May 22, 1853, and died March 24, 1896; Eliza Ann, wife of Judson A.
Boston, born March 3, 1855; Sarah Matilda, born February 2, 1857, died
October 12, 1879; John William, born April 6, 1859; Thomas Edward, born
March 19, 1861; Mary Etta, wife of Stephen S. Knoles, born June 14, 1863,
died February 10, 1889; George Albert, born November 25, 1865; Hattie Belle,
wife of Charles L. Reid, born April 30, 1868; Laura May, wife of Watson
Leck, born June 14, 1871; Charles Franklin, who is a Director in the Ayers
National Bank of Jacksonville, and variously interested in local affairs,
born November 28, 1873; and Walter Leslie, born May 6, 1876.
LEDFERD, Frank L., the well known and successful proprietor of an attractive and well patronized bookstore in Jacksonville, Ill., was born on a farm just east of the city, on January 8, 1874. He is the youngest son of William H. and Julia Frances (Chamberlain) Ledferd, of whom the father was born in 1823 at Salem, N. C., and the mother, in New York City in 1830. The former came to Illinois in 1865, and settled on a farm near Jacksonville. After spending a year there he bought a farm four and a half miles east of Jacksonville, where he lived until 1902, when he retired from active business life to his home on East College Avenue, in that city. During the Civil War Mr. Ledferd was living in Missouri, and being the only Union man in his immediate vicinity, lost several hundred acres of land through the hostility of his neighbors. He is a very active member of the Salem Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he officiated as Deacon and Trustee for a number of years. He and his wife became the parents of the following children: William C.; Mary, deceased, who was the wife of James Tunison, of Atlanta, Ga.; George, deceased; Elizabeth, wife of George Graff; Fannie, deceased; Emma J., widow of Charles Corrington; Charles H., of Atlanta, Ga.; and Frank L.
Frank L. Ledferd received his early mental training in the district schools, and afterward graduated from Brown's Business College, in Jacksonville. After his graduation from this institution he was occupied for four years as traveling salesman and office manager for H. C. Tunison. In 1897 he purchased Stout's bookstore in Jacksonville, which he has since successfully conducted, having to a large extent also dealt in sporting goods.
On October 6, 1897, Mr. Ledferd was united in marriage with Millicent
Arenz, a daughter of Albert W. and Ella (Rapp) Arenz, of Jacksonville.
This union has been the source of four children: Frank A., James W., Aileen
and Byron. In politics, Mr. Ledferd is a supporter of the Republican party.
He has always taken a lively interest in public affairs, and his benevolence
and liberality toward the charitable enterprises of the city are well known
and appreciated. Religiously, he is a member of the Century Methodist Episcopal
Church, and has always been active in church work. He held the office of
Recording Secretary of the Y. M. C. A. for a number of years. Socially,
he is popular, and is Secretary and a very active member of the Jacksonville
Country Club, as well as Secretary and a very active member of the Jacksonville
Country Club, as well as Secretary of the Central Illinois Golf Association.
In fraternal circles, he is identified with Illini Lodge No. 4, I. O. O.
F., and Jacksonville Lodge No. 152, K. of P. He is among the most popular
and highly esteemed of the younger business men in Jacksonville.
LOAR, John Riggs, local representative of the Standard Oil Company, and former Mayor, Jacksonville, Ill., was born in Bourbon County, Ky., May 31, 1832, the son of Alexander and Eliza (Riggs) Loar. His father was a native of Baltimore, Md., and his mother a descendant of an old family of French and English ancestry.
Mr. Loar was brought to Morgan County, Ill., in 1833 by his parents who settled in Jacksonville, where all his life has since been spent. His father, who was a contractor and builder, erected many of the residences and commercial houses of Jacksonville, and during the thirty-three years of his residence in that city won the respect and confidence of his contemporaries by reason of his straightforward and honorable business methods, and his clean, upright social life. He died in 1866, his wife having preceded him about 1842. They had four sons, named as follows: William Franklin and Erasmus, both deceased; George, of Ottumwa, Iowa; and John R.
John R. Loar was educated in the subscription schools of Jacksonville. Under the direction of W. D. Humphrey he learned the trade of a carpenter and builder, and for about eighteen years engaged in contracting. Among the important undertakings intrusted to his care was the construction of the main building of the State Institution for the Education of the Blind. For eight years following his work as a contractor he was engaged in the wholesale and retail grocery trade, and from 1884 to 1901 devoted his time to the wholesale oil business. In the latter year he disposed of his business to the Standard Oil Company, which he has represented in Jacksonville since. For five years he had been identified with the Jacksonville Building and Loan Association, of which he is Vice-President. He also served as a member of the Board of Education for several years. A stanch Republican, he has taken an active interest in the political undertakings of the party, and for two terms served as Mayor of Jacksonville, having been elected as the nominee of that party. Previous to his incumbency in that office he represented his ward in the City Council. For twenty years he filled the office of Deacon in the Christian Church, of which he is one of the active and helpful members. He is prominent in Masonry, affiliating with Harmony Lodge No. 3, Jacksonville Chapter No. 3, and Hospitaler commandery No. 31. He is also a member of Urania Lodge No. 243, I.O.O.F., and the Encampment auxiliary thereto.
Mr. Loar was united in marriage April 7, 1857, with Mary J. Carns, who died in 1873, survived by four children: Nellie Florence, deceased, who was the wife of F. D. Pendleton, of Independence, Mo.; Carrie B., wife of Cornelius F. Vandervoort, of Paterson, N.J.; Eliza, wife of Samuel J. Watson, of Paterson, N.J.; and John J., deceased. On August 31, 1882, he married Mrs. Sandy Tandy, and they have one daughter, Florence Nellie, who resides at home.
Mr. Loar is an unostentatious citizen, who has quietly endeavored to
accomplish what he could for the betterment of the community interests.
During his long residence in Jacksonville no taint has attached to his
name; on the contrary, he has always been highly regarded as a model citizen,
whose motives have been above question, and whose public spirit has been
manifested on numerous occasions - not infrequently when it has called
for no small measure of self-sacrifice.
LUKEN, Johanna (MOHLENBRUCK) , widow of the late Casper Luken, resides in a pleasant home on the home farm, on Section 9, Town 14 North, Range 8 West, near Alexander, Morgan County. Casper Luken was born in Hanover, Germany, November 3, 1842, the son of Henry and Louisa Luken. The family emigrated to America when Casper was thirteen years old. They had but little capital, and Henry Luken worked for others by the month to support his wife and family of six children, who came with him from Germany. Casper was the oldest child and assisted his father in maintaining the household. As conditions improved, Henry Luken bought land and carried on farming during the remainder of his life. Casper Luken secured a good education for a boy of his age in Germany, but was ignorant of the English language, in which he later acquired proficiency. He was industrious, persevering and economical, and made a success of farming, finally accumulating an estate of 480 acres, which, at his death, he bequeathed to his wife and children. There were eight children living at the time of his death, and each child fell heir to forty acres of land.
Mr. Luken's farm was improved beyond the average, with a substantial
dwelling, good barns, shade trees, an orchard, etc., all showing taste
and culture, and surrounded by well cultivated fields. He was a member
of the German Lutheran Church, in which he was a Trustee and Elder. Politically,
he was a Democrat. He was married March 20, 1873, at Jacksonville, to Johanna
Mohlenbruck, who was a native of Germany and came to America with her brother,
Fred in 1869. To Mr. and Mrs. Luken were born eight children, viz.: Lena,
wife of Herman Aljets; Louise, wife of Rev. P. Fedderson; Sarah, wife of
Fred Kloppe; Minnie, wife of George Horn; Casper, Anna, George and Otto.
LUTTRELL, William T., a well known and much respected farmer and live-stock man, residing in retirement on his well improved farm on Section 1, Town 13, Range 9, Morgan County, Ill., was born where he now lives, on December 20, 1831, the son of John R. and Margaret (Duncan) Luttrell, both natives of Kentucky. His grandfather was Thomas Luttrell, who came to Morgan County from Adair County, Ky., in 1822, bought land and built a saw and grist mill on Apple Creek. He died in 1841.
The father of the subject of this sketch devoted his life to farming, and, on reaching manhood, bought eighty acres of land, to which he later added another eighty. He was married in March, 1831, and he and his wife raised a family of seven children - five sons and two daughters - William T. being the first born of the family. John R. Luttrell, the father, was born April 1, 1810, and died in 1900; his wife died in 1884.
William T. Luttrell was reared to farming in his boyhood, meanwhile attending school near his home, and still later in the villages of Franklin and Waverly. He was married in 1869 to Mary F. Burnett, who died February 14, 1870. He chose for his second wife Eliza A. Wright, to whom he was married February 20, 1877. She was a daughter of William Wright of Scott County, Ky. Her father moved to Morgan County in 1829, and was a soldier in the Black Hawk War of 1832, while her grandfather fought seven years in the Revolution, during which he was promoted to Captain. The grandfather, William T. Luttrell, was also a soldier in the Black Hawk War.
Mr. Luttrell himself had too much of the ancestral blood in his veins
to remain a quiet spectator during the Civil War. He therefore enlisted
at Franklin, on August 9, 1862, in Company H, One Hundred and First Illinois
Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He entered the service
as a Corporal and was First Lieutenant when mustered out at Washington
in June, 1865. The regiment participated in many engagements, including
Sherman's March to the Sea, and took part in the Grand Review in Washington
after the close of the war. For a time his duties lay in gun-boat service
on the Mississippi and in the siege of Vicksburg. Returning to Morgan County
after the close of the war, Mr. Luttrell resumed farming, and now has a
well stocked and well improved farm of 240 acres. He has followed mixed
farming and has grown a good grade of stock. He belongs to the Christian
Church, while his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He
is a Republican in politics, and has served his district several terms
on the School Board.
County main page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their