1906 Historical Encyclopedia Of Illinois & History
of Morgan County IL
& HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY
Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers, 1906.
JAMESON, John Richardson, a prosperous and skillful blacksmith in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born in Lynnville, Ill., October 21, 1865, the son of George and Mary Jane (Coultas) Jameson, of whom the father was born in Northumberlandshire, England, in 1836. He came to Morgan County when twenty years old, after working on a railroad in Canada, and was the father of nine children, namely: Grace, Jennie, William, John R., George, Frank, Ida, Kate, and Fred. The father died in 1892, the mother having passed away in 1879.
In boyhood Mr. Jameson received his mental training in the public schools and after finishing his schooling learned the blacksmith's trade, becoming a capable workman at the age of twenty-two years. In 1886 his father gave the blacksmith shop to him and his brother, William, and they conducted it jointly for about ten years. In 1874 the father moved to Jacksonville, where he established a shop which has since been operated by members of the family continuously, with the exception of a period of about six years. In 1899 Mr. Jameson opened his present shop. He does all kinds of expert horseshoeing and general blacksmithing, and the place is equipped with modern machinery operated by an electric motor. Mr. Jameson makes a specialty of fine horseshoeing, and his patrons are the best horsemen in the city and surrounding country.
On October 23, 1901, Mr. Jameson was united in marriage with Hattie R. Sibert, daughter of Isaac Wood and Martha (Sample) Sibert. This union has been without issue.
Politically, Mr. Jameson is a Republican. In 1886, he was elected Sheriff
of Morgan County by a majority of over 700, and filled the office most
creditably for one term, being the first incumbent of that office to be
elected on the Republican ticket in thirty-two years. In the matter of
religion he does not subscribe to any creed. H is a remarkably energetic
and persevering man, and has been very successful in business, being one
of the most popular citizens of Jacksonville and favorably known throughout
JENKINSON, William Arthur, wholesale grocer of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born in North Allerton, Yorkshire, England, November 30, 1854, the son of Thomas and Mary (Appleton) Jenkinson, both of whom were born in that town - the father, in January, 1821, and the mother, in 1820. There Thomas Jenkinson was engaged in the wholesale and retail grocery business until the time of his death in 1888.
William A. Jenkinson received his mental training in the grammar schools of his native country. At the age of fourteen years he was employed in his father's grocery, where he received careful instruction after the thorough English custom. In May, 1880, he came to the United States, locating immediately at Jacksonville. In the following month, together with his brother, Henry, he established a retail grocery store, which continued until 1888. At that period the wholesale grocery firm of W. A. Jenkinson & Co., was formed, and has since transacted a prosperous business.
In September, 1885, Mr. Jenkinson was united in marriage with Ellen H. Clayton, daughter of Joseph and Urania (Taft) Clayton, of Jacksonville.
Mr. Jenkinson is an independent in politics; in religion is a zealous
Congregationalist, and all-in-all is one of the most capable, upright and
successful merchants of Jacksonville.
JOHNSON, Henry Richard, retired farmer of Morgan County, Ill., residing in Jacksonville, was born in Ross County, Ohio, April 2, 1828, the son of Zacharia and Barbara (Richart) Johnson. When he was seven months old his parents brought him to Morgan County, where they spent the remainder of their lives. At the time of his mother's death, which occurred when she was ninety_five years old, she was the oldest resident of the county. His father died at the age of fifty_six.
Richard Johnson, father of Zacharia Johnson, was a native of New York State. Thence he migrated to Ohio and (in 1824) to Illinois. In New York he served in the War of 1812. He married Diana Wagner, of Pennsylvania. When he came to Morgan County, he bought a claim of 120 acres where the town of Arcadia now is, a portion of which, under the name of New Lexington, he platted and laid out in lots. By occupation he was a blacksmith. He also entered 80 acres under a patent signed by President Andrew Jackson. This land is still owned by the family, being held in Mrs. Zacharia Johnson's name until her death, January 1, 1904. In the pioneer period Richard Johnson's house was used for many years for church purposes, services being held for three weeks continuously.
Henry R. Johnson received his early mental training in the primitive subscription schools of Morgan County, and was reared to farm work, in which he engaged until the time of his retirement. He still supervises his farming interests, having 700 acres of fine farm land, devoted to general farming and stock_raising. On it are fed and raised over 300 head of stock annually. As his possessions indicate, he has been diligent and intelligent in his farming methods, always successfully contriving to secure the best results. In 1869 he moved to Jacksonville, where he has since resided.
On March 11, 1852, Mr. Johnson was married to Martha Helen Reeve, a daughter of Isaac B. Reeve, who, in 1819, started the first blacksmith shop in Morgan County, first using a stump for an anvil block and working out of doors under the shade of a tree.
Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, namely: Mary E. (Mrs. Stephen O. Shuff); Anna Maria (Mrs. Charles B. Strawn); Hattie (Mrs. Charles Jeffers), Henry Jackson and James B. The mother of this family died in June, 1893. On November 14, 1894, Mr. Johnson married as his second wife Mrs. Elizabeth Murray, a daughter of Tison and Catherine (Griffith) Bell. She was born in Pike County, Mo., and was first married to James Murray, April 13, 1852. He died July 24, 1882. They had seven children, namely: William E., Mary Elizabeth (Mrs. Martin M. Crum), Catherine (Mrs. James McFillan), Sarah (Mrs. Albert Crum), Irwin E. and Flora May (Mrs. Theodore Martin, who is deceased.
For twenty_seven years Mr. Johnson was a Director of the Jacksonville
National Bank, resigning this position in 1904. Politically he is a Democrat,
and has served three terms as Alderman, and three years as Justice of the
Peace. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Formerly he was
affiliated with the Odd Fellows.
JONES, Benjamin F., Postmaster, Nortonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, July 25, 1839, the son of Jesse J. and Susan (Covington) Jones, natives, respectively, of Pennsylvania and Ohio. In 1846 Jesse J. Jones, father of Benjamin F., migrated, with his family, to Morgan County, Ill., purchasing land and settling near Pisgah. He was the father of twelve children - eight sons and four daughters - Benjamin F. being second in order of birth. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Benjamin F. Jones, with his father and two brothers enlisted in the Union Army, Benjamin joining Company G, First Missouri Cavalry ("Duncan Rangers"), at Jacksonville, Ill. Perhaps the most important engagement in which he participated was the battle of Pea Ridge; he also took part in the battle of Sugar Creek, Ark. After serving three years he returned to Morgan County and the homestead, and there engaged in farming until 1901. His father died in 1887.
On January 30, 1868, Benjamin F. Jones was married to Miranda Sargent,
and they became the parents of eleven children; nine of whom survive, viz.:
Hattie B., wife of J. M. McNeely; George E., Elmer B., Jesse W., Rolfe
E. and Nellie. Mr. Jones is the owner in Nortonville of a house and two
lots. In 1900 his son, Warren, was appointed Postmaster of Nortonville,
and Benjamin F. Jones, his deputy. In 1902 the latter was appointed Postmaster,
and is still serving in that position. He is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church and the Grand Army of the Republic.
JONES, Ebenezer Paul, one of the oldest and most prominent citizens of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., as well as one of the most worthy and highly respected, was born near Utica, Oneida County, N.Y., April 12, 1830, a son of Ebenezer and Martha (Hughes) Jones, natives of Wales. Ebenezer Jones was a farmer by occupation.
In his youth Mr. Jones attended the district schools in the neighborhood of his father's farm, and assisted the latter in his agricultural labors. When he reached the age of twenty years, he went to Hartford, Conn., where for four years he was engaged as farmer for the Hartford Retreat for the Insane. He was economical during this period, and invested a portion of his earnings in Wisconsin timberland which he purchased at a low price, and sold in a short time at a profit of $35 per acre. In 1859, he moved to Morgan County, Ill., and secured the position of farmer at the Illinois Central Hospital for the Insane, at Jacksonville. He continued in this connection for thirteen years, in the meantime becoming the owner of four farms - of 160 acres, 130 acres, 40 acres and 20 acres, respectively. On the last named property he now resides, having subdivided it into valuable building lots. In 1873 he resigned his position in the employ of the State, and has since devoted his attention to the supervision of his farms and other property interests.
John Jones, an uncle of Ebenezer P., was a soldier in the War of 1812, having enlisted from the vicinity of New York City, and Mr. Jones' mother, who was at that time but twelve years of age, retained during her lifetime a vivid recollection of the United States forces, as they marched past her home in Utica, on their way to Sackett's Harbor, where an engagement with the British was expected.
On July 26, 1864, Mr. Jones was united in marriage with Margaret Anna, a daughter of Robert and Sarah (Scott) McKelvey. Mrs. Jones is a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, where she was born November 24, 1837. Six children have resulted from this union, as follows: Fletcher Lincoln, a resident of Kansas City, Mo.; Clara Anna, who died at the age of thirteen years; Sidney Paul, who operates his father's dairy; and Emma Lois, Mary Margaret and Blanche Luella, who live with their parents.
Politically, Mr. Jones has always been identified with the Republican
party, but has never sought political preferment. Religiously, he is a
member of the State Street Presbyterian Church, in Jacksonville, in which
he and his family have worshiped for many years. Their comfortable and
attractive residence is at No. 1457 South Main Street, Jacksonville.
JONES, Hiram Kinnaird, M. D. (deceased), was an able practitioner of Jacksonville, Ill., for many years especially well known in literary circles, both East and West, and greatly admired for his public spirit and elevated personal character. He was born in Culpeper County, Va., August 5, 1818, the son of Stephen and Mildred (Kinnaird) Jones, both parents being natives of the county named. His father was both a merchant and farmer, and was married September 22, 1814, by the Rev. William Mason. Dr. Jones' paternal grandparents were natives of Wales and Scotland, the grandfather settling in Culpeper County in time to do loyal service in the Revolutionary War under the direct command of Washington.
Dr. Jones laid the foundation of his thorough education in the common schools of Missouri, whither his parents had removed when he was quite young. Later he pursued the higher branches at the Illinois College, Jacksonville, graduating from both its classical and medical courses and being honored, from his alma mater, with the degrees of A.M., M.D., and LL. D. The interim between his classical and medical courses was spent in teaching school, and after graduating in the latter he at once commenced practice at Troy, Mo. Illinois College also had a warm place in the Doctor's heart, and he evinced the feeling in such practical ways as his bestowal of a gift of $20,000 to it, for the library building erected as a memorial to his deceased wife, in 1897; the $10,000 donation of 1902, and contributions of smaller amounts of which no record exists.
In 1851 he was appointed Assistant Physician for the Illinois Hospital for the Insane, and located at Jacksonville. Later Dr. Jones succeeded Dr. Higgins as Acting Superintendent of that institution in 1855, resigning the position to open an office for the practice of his profession at No. 505 West College Avenue. From that year until the date of his death, June 16, 1903, he gave to his work the conscientious devotion and study characteristic of the true physician. In 1869 he formed a professional partnership with his brother, Dr. Comberland George Jones, which was only dissolved by the death of the latter in 1893.
Dr. Jones not only achieved prominence as a practitioner, but he was one of the most public spirited men in Jacksonville, being especially active with tongue, pen and purse in the movements which aimed to elevate the community, morally and intellectually. He was a lifelong Republican, an unflinching Abolitionist in the early days, and a member of the Congregational Church, of the liberal type. His mental attitude and caliber are explained by the fact of his membership in the famous Concord School of Philosophy, before which for ten years he read his literary papers and received high praise from such men as Emerson, Alcott and Thoreau. For a decade he also delivered philosophical addresses before the senior class of Illinois College, as well as lectures on anatomy and physiology in the Jacksonville Business College. In 1860 Dr. Jones organized the Plato Club and was prominently identified with it during the thirty-six years of its existence. He founded the Jacksonville Historical Society, in 1884, and was its first president; the Literary Union (still active) in 1865, and the American Akademe, in 1883, of which he was also the first President. In the midst of his ceaseless activity, intellectual and professional, he found time to take extensive tours abroad, both for recreation and self-improvement. Twice he traveled to Europe, also visiting Egypt, Palestine and Syria. Upon his return home, by request of his fellow-citizens, he delivered most interesting talks on what he had seen and thought. It will thus be seen that his life was remarkably fertile in useful and elevating work, and that his death left a void in the higher life of the community.
In 1844, Dr. Jones was untied in marriage with Elizabeth Orr, daughter of Judge Philip and Lucy Orr. Mrs. Jones was born December 24, 1824, and died August 30, 1891, being a woman of fine literary tastes and culture, and so perfectly adapted to her talented husband that their married life was very happy. They had no children. The beautiful library building of the Illinois College, already mentioned, stands as a touching memorial to his gifted wife.
One who was very close to the strong and warm life of the deceased gives
the following epitome of his character: Doctor Jones stands in a class
by himself, being a man fifty years ahead of his time. There are those
who seek eagerly for notoriety and those who shrink from it. The wise are
not conscious of the wisdom of their utterances, but are astonished when
they hear them praised. It is well that both these classes exist. They
are essential to the work of the world; the one influence in the doing
of it properly. Doctor Jones was of this latter number. Though too diffident
to cherish ambition for leadership, he was ever ready to further whatever
would instruct or benefit others. Not satisfied with scientific and professional
attainments, though excelling in them, he pushed inquiry beyond, that he
might learn of the reasons and causes of what he saw; and so, when he could
have achieved fame as a scientist, he was content with the modest pursuits
of the philosopher. He took his place as a worker in his profession, as
a neighbor and a citizen, everywhere doing faithfully everything that he
undertook. He cared to be good, rather than great."
JONES, John, prominent farmer, was born on his father's homestead within one and a half miles of his present home, located on Section 17, Township 13 North, Range 8 West, Morgan County, Ill., the son of Robert Augustus and Letitia Ann (England) Jones. His great-grandfather, Robert A. C. Jones, was a native of England, whence he emigrated to America. Waitman Jones, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a resident of Morgan County, coming with his son, Robert Augustus, in the winter of 1827. Robert Augustus and wife had a family of fourteen children, of whom twelve reached maturity, John Jones being the fifth in order of birth. The father died November 5, 1901, and the mother, October 30, 1899. The father was a successful farmer who accumulated an estate of 700 acres of land.
John Jones was educated in the public schools and was reared to farming. On reaching maturity, he began farming on his own account, and has been very successful. He has sold considerable of his land of late years, as, in view of his increasing years, there was more than he could properly superintend, especially as his rheumatic troubles seriously interfered with his activity; notwithstanding which he still retains 120 acres, surrounding his pleasant home. In August, 1861, Mr. Jones enlisted in Company K. Twenty-seventh Illinois Infantry, and served three years, being actively engaged at Belmont, Mo.; Stone River, Tenn.; Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, and through the great campaign which culminated at Atlanta, Ga. He received his discharge at Camp Butler, Ill., his term having expired, and resumed farming in Morgan County.
Mr. Jones was married September 19, 1867, to Sarah Frances Ray, daughter
of William E. Ray, who came to Morgan County in the '20s with his father,
Elijah Ray. Mr. Jones and wife have one child, Ada Susan, now Mrs. Albert
Miner, who has four children: John R., Mary, George R. and Sarah Elizabeth.
Mr. and Mrs. Jones are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and by
his connection with the Union Army during the Civil War he is identified
with the Grand Army of the Republic.
JONES, William Samuel, who is successfully engaged in the real estate business in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born on a farm south of Franklin, that county, January 21, 1863. He is a son of P. D. and Elizabeth (Morris) Jones, natives of Tennessee and Virginia, respectively. His paternal grandfather was a very prominent citizen and an extensive slave owner living near Nashville, Tenn.
P. D. Jones was born near Nashville, Tenn., in 1835, and his wife, in Virginia, in 1832. The former was left an orphan at an early age, and came to Morgan County when eight years old. In 1870 he bought a farm in the southern part of the county, which he operated until 1889. In that year he sold the property and moved to Paris, Mo., where he invested the proceeds in land. He remained there until 1897, again disposed of his farm, and returned to Franklin, Ill., where he invested in town property. He died in February, 1898, and his widow followed him in August 1899.
William S. Jones received his early mental training in the district schools of Morgan County, and then assisted his father on the farm until he was twenty-one years old. At that period he went into the real estate and live stock business in franklin, Ill. In 1891 he bought 200 acres of land in Hettick, Macoupin County, Ill., and a year later sold it. He then moved to Paris, Mo., where he remained until April, 1905, during that period transacting an extensive real estate business. At that time he located in Jacksonville, where he owns what is known as the Potts Farm, situated at the western limits of the city. From the southeast corner of the Potts tract Mr. Jones has platted a new addition to the city of Jacksonville, and is also the owner of considerable other property.
On September 21, 1898, Mr. Jones was married in Paris, Mo., to Minnie Brissey, of Winchester, Scott County, Ill., a daughter of Ewing and Lucy (record) Brissey. Her maternal grandfather, John Record, was one of the pioneer preachers of Illinois. One child resulted from this union, Paul A., born March 16, 1900.
Politically Mr. Jones is a supporter of the Republican party. Fraternally,
he joined Franklin Lodge, I.O.O.F., in 1889. He is also affiliated with
Jacksonville Harmony Lodge and is a Knight Templar. In religious belief
he is a Presbyterian, being a member of Westminster Church of Jacksonville,
Ill. As will be justly inferred from the above facts Mr. Jones is a man
of high moral standing, thoroughly capable in business and possessed of
much energy and force of character.
JORDAN, William Harrison, for many years a prosperous and substantial farmer in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., but now leading a life of retirement, was born on a farm six miles northwest of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., May 20, 1840. He is the son of William Scott and Eliza (Hill) Jordan. The family history covers a century spent on Illinois soil, and chiefly in Morgan County. Sometime between 1784 and 1800, the grandfather of William H. Jordan came from Union, S.C., and settled on land now included in St. Clair County. Mr. Jordan's uncle served in the War of 1812. His father, William Scott Jordan, was born in what is now St. Clair County, May 10, 1803. After a short time spent in Pike County, Mo., he came to Jacksonville and located near where the old Berean College stood. In 1830 he married Eliza B. Hill, who was born in Pennsylvania, January 17, 1807. In 1832, he was a soldier in the Black Hawk War. Throughout his long life in Morgan County, he was a very active member of the Ebenezer Church, in which he was Sunday-school Superintendent for forty years. He was widely known for his sterling Christian character and kindly generosity, his useful life coming to an end November 17, 1878.
Mr. Jordan received his early mental training in the public schools, and assisted his father in the management of the farm until the outbreak of the Civil War. He then enlisted in Company G, of the "Duncan Rangers," mustered in as the First Regiment Missouri Volunteer Cavalry. He was injured in the charge at Sugar Creek, and, after serving through the battle of Pea Ridge, was discharged in 1862, at Batesville, Ark. He returned home, and, after recovering from his injuries, began farming on rented land, subsequently spending several years in the cattle business. In 1899 he removed to Jacksonville, where he has since resided.
On October 8, 1867, Mr. Jordan was united in marriage to Mary Grund, of Beardstown, Ill., a daughter of Philip and Rosa (Riffer) Grund, early settlers of Cass County. The following children resulted from this union, namely: Henry Philip, who was born July 12, 1868, and died October 5, 1869; Horace Chamberlain, of Jacksonville, born in 1870; Clara E., who was born November 27, 1871, and is the wife of John A. Baschal, of Markham, Ill.; Arthur H., who was born July 10, 1874, and died March 13, 1899; and Ernest Grund, of Jacksonville, born January 11, 1877.
Politically, Mr. Jordan has been a lifelong Republican of the most earnest
type. In the noted campaign of 1882 he was a candidate for County Commissioner
of Morgan County, and, although the county ordinarily gives a large Democratic
majority, he was defeated by only twelve votes. Fraternally, Mr. Jordan
is identified with Matt Star Post, G.A.R.
JOY, James Madison, Postmaster, Waverly, Ill., was born in West Virginia, April 16, 1840, a son of William F. and Minerva (Knight) Joy. His father was born at Harper's Ferry, Va., and his mother in North Carolina, his parents removing to Illinois, in 1857, and locating on a farm in Sangamon County, where they spent the remainder of their lives.
James M. Joy came to Illinois in 1856. Until the outbreak of the Civil War he attended school and worked upon various farms in Sangamon County. On August 7, 1862, he enlisted in Company I, Seventy-third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in which he served until the close of the war, being mustered out July 22, 1865. His command was attached to the Army of the Cumberland. Though he saw a comparatively small amount of active service in the field, he has a military record of which any man might well be proud. After participating in the battles of Perryville, Ky., and Stone River, he engaged in the historic battle of Chickamauga, where he was captured by the Confederates. He was first taken with a large number of other prisoners to Richmond, Va., and detained in Libby Prison for five weeks. Thence he was taken to Danville, Va., where he remained in confinement for five months, and thence to Andersonville, where eleven months of indescribable suffering were endured, making his total term of imprisonment eighteen months. As the result of the great hardships he was compelled to endure throughout his period of imprisonment, he has undergone considerable suffering in the later years of his life. During the closing days of his imprisonment in Andersonville, the report of his death reached his home, and all arrangements for holding funeral services in his memory were made, only to be stopped, a few moments before the hour set for the services, by the belated intelligence that he was still alive. From Andersonville Mr. Joy was taken to Vicksburg, Miss., and thence to Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, where he received a furlough and returned to his home at Loami, Sangamon County. The following year he began teaching school in the country districts, a vocation he followed for two terms. After working as a clerk in a store at Loami for a short time, he was united in marriage with Amanda Hall, and moved upon a farm in Sangamon County which he had purchased. There he remained following agriculture until 1881, in the meantime taking an active interest in educational matters, and serving for twelve years as a School Director. In 1881 he removed to Waverly, which has since been his home. At first engaging in work at the carpenter's trade, he continued independently until August, 1882, when he formed a partnership with Frank Rantz, and engaged in the hardware, undertaking and furniture business for six years. In 1893 he embarked in the undertaking business alone. On August 12, 1898, President McKinley commissioned him Postmaster at Waverly, and on February 23, 1903, he was reappointed to the office by President Roosevelt.
Mr. Joy is a prominent member of the Grand Army Post of Waverly, of which he has been Commander or Adjutant for many years. Fraternally he is identified with Waverly Lodge No. 93, I.O.O.F. In the M.E. Church he is a member of the official board. He has served two terms on the Waverly School Board, and two terms in the City Council. Politically, he has always been unwavering in his allegiance to the Republican party.
Mr. Joy's first wife died December 25, 1880. On February 22, 1883, he married Rachel Ann VanKirk, a native of Mercer County, N.J., who removed with her parents to Illinois in 1865. By his first marriage, Mr. Joy became the father of a daughter, Ida, wife of W. M. Minnick, of Chicago.
It is a fact worthy of note that Mr. Joy was one of five brothers who
fought in the defense of the Union during the Civil War, four of whom served
in the same company. Beside himself, they were John W., William E. and
Joseph O. John W. died of wounds received at the battle of Perryville,
Ky., and at the same battle William E. received a wound in a similar manner
in the thigh, but not fatal. Joseph O. was wounded in the hip at the battle
of Mission Ridge. The youngest brother, Buena Vista Joy, entered the army
at the age of sixteen years, as a member of Company I, Sixteenth Illinois
Cavalry, was wounded in the wrist, was captured, taken to Richmond, and
thence to Andersonville, where he died.
JOY, Lyman F. , one of the most widely known agriculturists of Morgan County, and a representative of one of its most prominent pioneer families, residing on his farm about five miles southeast of Concord, and eight miles northwest of Jacksonville, was born in Pittsfield, N.H., February 3, 1833, the son of John P. and Judith (Bachelder) Joy. John P. Joy, who was born in Durham, N.H., March 17, 1806, was a son of James and Sarah (Pickering) Joy. The former, who was born March 4, 1778, in Durham, N.H., learned the trade of a blacksmith from his father, and afterward became a shipbuilder; but his business having been ruined by reason of the Embargo Act of 1808 and the War of 1812, he removed to another neighborhood in New Hampshire, where he purchased a farm and engaged in the manufacture of scythes and other implements. He became the founder of the town of Pittsfield, in that State, and was a man of great influence in his community. He married Sarah Pickering December 19, 1802, and they had seven children, one of whom, John P., came with his father to Illinois in 1838, followed later by Charles and Sylvester.
The family located in Morgan County in that year, the elder Joy purchasing about 1,200 acres of fertile prairie land, which has since been known as "Joy Prairie". A month after his arrival in the county he returned to his old home, leaving his sons in possession of the newly acquired property, and spent the remainder of his life in New Hampshire. Two of the sons were married, and brought their wives with them; Sylvester married after he settled in Morgan County. With the exception of a log cabin, the new comers found the land upon which they located devoid of improvements for the accommodation of themselves and their families. The log house first occupied by John P. Joy contained but one room, with puncheon floor; but his wife, Judith Bachelder, a native of Loudon, N.H., was a helpmate in the truest sense of the word, and assisted her husband in every possible way to found a pleasant home in the wilderness. She bore the hardships of the times bravely, and carefully reared her only son, Lyman F. Joy, to the age of sixteen years, when, in 1849, she was called from earth. The elder Joy was again married in 1850 to Elizabeth Parsons, a native of New Hampshire, who died two years later, leaving no children. In 1853 he was united with Jane Bigger, who bore him four children. Of these two survive, namely: James Allen, proprietor of the Joy Steamship Line, running to Atlantic ports from Boston; and Charles, who is located on the homestead. John P. Joy carried on extensive operations in general farming and stock raising, and was very successful. He was an influential member of the Congregational Church, of which he was one of the founders. In politics he was first a Whig, and afterward a Republican, and died at the age of seventy-four years.
Lyman F. Joy attended the early subscription school located on Joy Prairie, and afterward took the full elective (now scientific) course in Illinois College. For five or six years after the completion of his college course he taught school. In 1855 he was united in marriage with Angelica Haseltine, a native of Passumpsic, Vt., and they at once began housekeeping on the place where Mr. Joy now lives. He now owns 420 acres in one body, and all under cultivation, which is reputed to be one of the finest bodies of land for agricultural purposes in Morgan County. All the improvements upon the place are the result of his own labor. While he is now engaged in general farming, for many years he conducted extensive stock operations; and in all his undertakings he has been successful. Mr. Joy has been actively interested in the promotion of the best interests of the Republican party since its organization in 1856, and is now serving his tenth year as Justice of the Peace and his thirteenth year as Notary Public. Aside from purely local offices, such as good citizens are called upon to fill from time to time, he has never sought political honors. For more than forty years he has been a member of the Congregational Church, of which his wife, who died April 9, 1892, was also a member. They became the parents of seven children, of whom the following survive: Minnie, wife of Albert C. Rice, of Arnold, Ill.; Nettie J., wife of Thurlow H. Pratt, of Joy Prairie; Ruth J., wife of Arthur C. French, of Chapin; and Edward F., who, with his father, manages the home place, his wife bing formerly Frances Cowdin.
Mr. Joy is a representative of that type of citizenship which forms
the bone and sinew of a community. Throughout his entire life he has shown
a gratifying public spirit, taking a hearty and unselfish interest in the
promotion of those well considered projects which have had for their end
the advancement of the highest interests of his fellow-men. No enterprise
of a worthy nature has ever been place before him for consideration and
failed to enlist his earnest cooperation and support; and in many instances
he himself has taken the initiative. He is an honored representative of
a type of strong men which is rapidly disappearing; a man whose integrity
and whose motives have never been brought into question; one whom his fellow-men
delight to honor. And as such he is entitled to a permanent and conspicuous
place in the annals of Morgan County.
County main page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their