1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
"Statistics of the Population of Morgan County By Townships, With Abstract of Agricultural Productions"
Florentine E. Kellogg was the son of Elisha Kellogg, a native of Massachusetts. He moved, about 1810, to Genesee county, New York. In 1818 he moved to White county, Illinois, where he remained but a short time, moving next to Morgan county, Illinois, arriving there in October, 1818, and settling nine miles east of the present site of Jacksonville, on Mauvaisterre creek, and there built the first house (a log cabin) erected in Morgan county. The nearest white neighbors were thirty miles distant, where Springfield is now situated. At this time, the shoes for covering the feet of the children were squirrel skins drawn over the feet, and corn was converted into meal by being pounded.
Florence E. Kellogg, the subject of this sketch, was born in Batavia,
Genesee county, New York, on the first day of January, 1816 - on the first
day of the year, first day of the week, and first hour of the day. He settled
in Morgan county at the same time his father did, living with him one year,
when he moved three miles northwest of Jacksonville, where he lived seven
years. He and his father moved to Rushville in 1827, and built the second
house in that place. They lived there one year, when they returned to Morgan
county. In 1832 they moved to Galena, where Florence married Miss Rebecca
Jane Williams in 1837. In 1846 he moved to California, two years previous
to the discovery of gold in that country. He lived in California twenty-five
years, during which time his business was raising fruit, grain, and stock;
he also carried on a machine shop. Mr. Kellogg has four children and nine
grandchildren living. He returned to Morgan county in August, 1871, where
he now resides. Few men have seen as romantic a life as Mr. Kellogg, and,
although he has endured many hardships, is yet hale and hearty, and appears
as though he could yet stand many more such campaigns.
Matthew S. Kennedy was the son of Samuel and Frances Kennedy, who had a family of fourteen children. Five sons and one daughter are still living; all, save two daughters, have been citizens of Morgan county. They settled in Hamilton county, Ind., in the fall of 1831, where Mr. K. died, in 1838. His family settled in Morgan county in the fall of 1839, and were on the farm of ex-Governor Duncan, west of Jacksonville, about one year.
Mathew S. was born in Washington county, East Tennessee, oct. 20,
1824. He removed in 1840, southeast of Jacksonville about five miles, where
he remained until 1845, when he came to Waverly, where he now resides.
A fine view of his farm residence appears elsewhere in this work. He was
married in November, 1848, to Miss Mary, daughter of James Burnett. They
have had two children; one only - Sophronia - is now living. Mrs. Kennedy
died in June, 1851. His present wife is Elizabeth, daughter of Johnathan
Rohrer, by whom he has three children now living - William L., John F.,
and Edward R. Mr. K. is one of the citizens who holds a high place in the
affections of all his numerous acquaintances.
Alonzo L. Kimber, M.D., was born in Harrison county, Ohio, November 10, 1825. He was educated at the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, and graduated at the Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill., in the spring of 1857. He established practice in Prairie City, McDonough county, Ill., in the spring of 1856, where he continued about three years, when he removed to Waverly, Ill., where he now resides. Dr. Kimber was connected with the 101st regiment Illinois volunteers, being engaged in the service about two years as surgeon. He resigned this position, on account of poor health, November 7th, 1864. In this position he won the love and esteem of his comrades in arms, who regretted the loss of his society as well as medical counsel. The Doctor was married December 16, 1856, to his present wife, Miss Mary C., daughter of John Evans, an old citizen of Carrollton, Greene county, Ill. He has, by this union, six sons and one daughter. Alonzo Lincoln, George L., Harry, and Anna E., are residing with their parents. Few of the citizens of Morgan county have a larger circle of friends than Dr. Kimber, who is esteemed for his many Christian virtues. In his profession he is highly useful, and an honor to the county and community, in which, as a citizen, he is duly appreciated.
Joseph W. King is a native of Hartford, Connecticut. He was born September 10, 1808. He is the oldest child of John and Mary Otis King, who had a family of three children, all deceased except the subject of this sketch. John King was largely engaged in the grocery business, in which he was quite successful. He and his wife were both descended from the old Puritan stock. He died on shipboard in his passage from Charleston, South Carolina, to New York, April 1, 1814. His remains were reserved for interment on land, and were finally removed to Hartford, soon after, and buried. Mrs. King died at Westfield, Massachusetts, November 6, 1831. Joseph W. King was educated at Westfield, Massachusetts, where he received a good substantial business education. He learned the jewelry business. Manufacturing silver ware, particularly silver spoons, was with him a prominent feature of his business in after life. He was married in Westfield, Massachusetts, in October, 1833, to Miss Abbie E. Hamilton, daughter of Eli B. and Minerva Hamilton, of that town. Mrs. King was a native of Blanford, Massachusetts. Her parents' ancestors were English and Scotch. Mr. King and his wife have had two children, of whom John W., only, is living. He was among the first in the state to enlist at the breaking out of the late war, being enrolled in the 10th Illinois infantry. Early partaking of the hardships and privations, he was worthy the honors, of our citizen soldiers. The commission of colonel was conferred upon him during the service.
Joseph W. King, the subject of this biography, arrived in Jacksonville
in November, 1838, where he established himself as jeweler and silversmith,
continuing the occupation till 1866, when he finally retired from the business.
Mr. King began business in Jacksonville with limited capital, but, by his
energy, perseverance, and good financial management, he has acquired a
competence. In 1852 Mr. King and Governor Yates became partners in some
real estate transactions, principally in and around Decatur, Illinois.
They laid out an addition to that city soon after their purchase, known
as the "Yates & King Addition." This transaction was financially
very successful. The parties are still interested in company in real estate.
During the official term of Governor Oglesby Mr. King was appointed by
him one of the trustees of the soldiers' orphans' home, and he held the
position of treasurer of the board until the administration of Governor
Palmer. Politically, Mr. King was originally a whig, but became a republican
in 1856. He was a member of the state convention which adopted the first
platform of the republican party, at Bloomington, Illinois. That convention
put in nomination Dr. Bissel and John Wood, for the state ticket, which
was triumphantly elected. He has since been devoted to the interests of
that party. He was a personal friend and warm supporter of Abraham Lincoln,
for whose election he was an official worker. He was a staunch supporter
of the government during the rebellion. As an old and prominent citizen
of Morgan county, Mr. King is well known, and highly respected for his
many excellent traits of character.
Edward P. Kirby is a native of Putnam county, Illinois, born October 28, 1834. He is the eldest son of the Rev. William Kirby, an old settler of Morgan county, who was one of the original founders of Illinois College, and, in the early days of that institution, one of the professors. His health failing, he removed, with his family, to Putnam county, and was there engaged in the ministry. His death occurred in December, 1852, in Scott county, Illinois, whither he had previously moved.
Edward P. Kirby received his literary education at Illinois College,
Jacksonville, graduating therefrom in 1854; after which he went to St.
Louis, where his time was employed as a teacher for three years. He then
returned to Jacksonville, and succeeded the Hon. Newton Bateman as superintendent
of public instruction, having charge of the west district high school,
and continued in that capacity for five years. In 1862 he was married to
Miss Julia S. Duncan, youngest daughter of the late Gov. Duncan. Mr. Kirby
commenced reading law in 1863, in the office of Morrison & Epler, and
was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1864, and commenced practice in
Jacksonville. Mr. Kirby is a gentleman of fine classical attainments.
Dr. Cyrus H. Knight is a native of Cumberland county, Maine, and was born October 9, 1806. He is the third child of Samuel and Elizabeth Knight. He received his literary education at Hebron Academy, and left New England in 1833, and settled in Missouri for a short time, and the next four years he spent on the frontier. In March, 1837, he settled in Morgan county, Ill., where for about four years his time was employed in teaching school. On the 14th of June, 1839, he was married to Miss Julia Smith, daughter of Thomas Smith, now a resident of McDonough county, Ill. They have had two children, both of whom are deceased. Their only daughter, Mrs. Turner, died October 16, 1870, leaving a son. In 1837 Dr. Knight commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Prosser, of Jacksonville. He attended lectures at Louisville Medical Institute, graduating in the winter of 1844-5, when he commenced the practice of medicine at Arcadia, remaining there till 1860, enjoying in the meantime, a lucrative practice. In 1861 he moved to Jacksonville, and soon after became the physician for the Illinois Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, and still retains that position. In 1850 Dr. Knight became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. Knight is a member of the Congregational Church of Jacksonville. Dr. Knight is among the older residents of Morgan county, and is highly respected.
County Main Page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their