1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
"Statistics of the Population of Morgan County By Townships, With Abstract of Agricultural Productions"
Abraham R. Bailey was born March 4, 1789, in Springfield, Essex county, New Jersey. He worked at carpentering in his native state in early life. He went to Ontario county, New York, and after stopping there with his uncle, Thomas Bailey, about one year, went down the Allegheny river on a raft, to Pittsburg, at that time a small village. He visited also the villages of Dayton and Cincinnati, Ohio, and made one trip to New Orleans, on a flatboat, before the war of 1812, and on his return, settled in St. Louis, in 1814. He was at that time acquainted with nearly all the American citizens in the village. Here he worked at his trade, and built the second frame building ever erected in St. Louis, which at that time contained only five stores and two doctors, and Col. Rufus Easton was the only prominent lawyer of the town. He went to St. Charles, and there erected a saw and grist mill. He soon after settled in Newport, Franklin county, Mo., where he was married to Miss Elizabeth Sullins, Nov. 4, 1823. He soon after settled on Plumb creek, Morgan county (now in Scott), where he remained four years, when he settled on the northeast quarter of section 2, township sixteen, range 12, where he now resides, living in quiet retirement with the wife of his early life, with whom he has lived nearly fifty years. His children are: Mary, born September 1, 1824, now deceased; Nancy, born May 2, 1827, wife of Thomas Crawford, who resides near her parents; Samuel Sullins, born April 16, 1833, now a prominent citizen of Dundee, Mo.; Phoebe Elizabeth, born August 9, 1842, wife of Joseph F. Heffner, residing with her parents. Mr. B. has been absent from the county twenty-eight years, but has always owned the property he now lives on. He also owns a large farm in Dundee, Missouri. Few, if any, of the citizens of Morgan county have lived to see greater changes in the great west and northwest than Mr. Bailey. He has lived to see some of our large cities emerge from a wilderness, and from small villages. He has the love and respect of a large circle of acquaintances.
Isaac Baldwin - Among the prominent nurserymen and fruit growers of Morgan county, or even of the state, Mr. Baldwin stands conspicuous. His fruit farm is situated about one mile north of the city of Jacksonville. It contains one hundred and two and one-half acres, about forty acres of which are in small fruits, and the most distinguishing feature is fourteen acres of red raspberries, known as "Turner's Seedling." Some twenty-five years since, Prof. Turner, from the seeds of the red Antwerp, produced this stock, which is now considered superior to any other variety for marketing; its fruit is large, of good flavor, hardy, and a more continuous bearer. From a few canes, some ten years ago, Mr. Baldwin began to propagate this variety, and has now fourteen acres of fruit-bearing vines. Last spring he filled orders for about seventy-five thousand canes, shipping to different parts of this country and Europe; and judging from the past increase of orders, it would not be surprising if next year, they should exceed two hundred thousand vines. In the nursery business he is producing fruit trees in large varieties, and also osage plants largely. Mr. Baldwin was in early life an English gardener, with small means. He began some twelve years ago making at first strawberry culture a specialty, beginning with only ten acres, which he has from time to time enlarged. He now, by his enterprise and industry, has accumulated a fair competence, and thousands, for years to come, will be benefitted by his labors, in the fruits of which he has patiently proven. While we give Prof. Turner credit for raising the variety of fruit which will ever bear his name, we must award to Isaac Baldwin the honor of proving and demonstrating its superior claims, and by his energy, spreading it broadcast over the country.
Mr. Baldwin was born in Scotland, but was raised in Lancashire, England.
His father, James Baldwin, and his grandfather, Jeremiah Baldwin, were
active horticulturists of their time. Mr. Baldwin first came to this country
in 1859, and after remaining at New Orleans a short time he came to Jacksonville.
His first business in Morgan county was laying off and beautifying the
grounds of the state institution for the education of the blind. In the
spring of 1860 he began as a proprietor on the fruit farm where he now
resides. Mr. Baldwin was married in Lancashire, November 11, 1851, to Miss
Mary Ann Stansfield, daughter of David Stansfield. They have had a family
of ten children, of whom two are deceased; of those living, six are sons
and two daughters, all residing on the farm with their parents. Mr. Baldwin
is a man of great energy, and with regard to the interests which he so
ably and largely represents, he has a sound judgment. He took an active
part in founding the Morgan County Horticultural Society, over which he
has presided with characteristic ability. As Vice President of the Central
Illinois Horticultural Society, the last year, he is well known. He is
a citizen highly esteemed by all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance,
being honorable in all his business transactions, and having a just pride
in all his acts, wishing and striving to advance the public weal in all
his business operations. With regard to himself, his life is a success;
with regard to others, a blessing. A vew of his residence will appear elsewhere
in this work. Morgan county, as well as the prairie state, may justly feel
proud of her distinguished horticulturist, Isaac Baldwin. "By their
fruits ye shall know them."
Hon. Wm. H. Barnes was born in Hampton, Connecticut, May 14, 1843. He is the oldest son of Rev. William and Eunice Barnes. His father is of English and his mother of Puritan stock. His father is an eminent clergyman of the Presbyterian Church. He was a graduate of Yale College, in the class of 1839. He is a Christian man, of fine talents and classical attainments.
Hon. Wm. H. Barnes is greatly indebted to his parents' training.
He entered Illinois college in the fall of 1861, and graduated in the fall
of 1864, when he entered the Senior Class of Michigan University, and graduated
in June, 1865. He read law in the office of Wm. Brown, at Jacksonville,
and in May, 1866, was admitted to the bar. He then opened a law office,
has been the attorney for the T., W., & W. Railroad Company, and has
made the sale of railroad lands a specialty. As an attorney in criminal
cases, he is distinguished among the criminal practitioners of central
Illinois. Mr. Barnes was elected by the democratic party to the state legislature
in the fall of 1871, a position which he filled with distinguished ability
and with satisfaction to his constituents. Hon. Wm. H. Barnes, as an advocate
in point of tact and ability, is second to none. Though young, he is an
ornament to the bar of Morgan county, and a credit to the state of which
he has been a citizen for twenty years.
Barnabas Barrows was born April 14, 1796, at Bridgeport, Addison county, Vermont, and in that state he received most of his early education. His ancestry are of English descent. Two of the ancestors of Mr. Barrows came over in the May Flower; one settled in Pomphret, Connecticut, the other in Mansfield, Conn.; and from the one who settled in Pomphret sprang the family of Barnabas Barrows.
On the tenth of August, 1828, Mr. Barrows landed in Kentucky, where
he spent several years as a farmer, and he there became acquainted with
Miss Mary A. Craig, to whom he was married on the first of February, 1832.
She was the daughter of James Craig, of Shelby county, Ky., who afterwards
became a resident of Morgan County, Ill. Mr. Barrows and wife have had
a family of nine children, five boys and four girls, and all are yet living.
In the winter of 1830 Mr. Barrows removed to Morgan county, Ill., and settled
on a farm, and was married in that county at the time stated above. He
is among the older pioneers. He came to the county poor, but, with strong
muscle and a determined will, he set about making a farm, having entered
land soon after coming to the state. Mr. Barrows quite early became engaged
in the breeding and growing of sheep. As a business man he was successful,
having raised a large family of children, and given them the advantages
of an academical education. Mrs. Barrows died in October, 1852, beloved
and respected by her numerous circle of friends. Her loss was deeply felt
in the community where she resided, and the remembrance of her noble qualities
as a mother and woman of pure Christian character had the salutary effect
of bringing all of their children to the profession of Christianity. She
was a consistent and active worker in the Presbyterian Church, her husband
and family being members of that church. The sacred memory of such a mother
and wife can but reflect with the purest influence on her survivors, she
having died leaving a young family. Mr. Barrows was married within two
years after, to Mrs. Butts. By this marriage there is one child. Mr. Barrows
acquired considerable valuable land, and as his boys grew up he has given
them each a half quarter section, or its equivalent. In early life he imbibed
the principles of the anti-slavery party, and remained steadfast to those
principles till the black man was liberated. He now votes with the republican
party, and during the war was a thorough Union man. He has lived under
every President of the United States. His first vote for President was
in 1820, for James Monroe. He voted twice for Abraham Lincoln and lastly
for U. S. Grant. He is now a hale and hearty old gentleman, and among the
older settlers of Morgan county. He furnished one son to the army, viz.,
Josiah A. Barrows, who enlisted August 8, 1862, in company D, 101st regiment
Illinois volunteers. He was soon after detailed to the topographical corps
of engineers of the third brigade, first division, twentieth army corps.
He assisted in making a survey of the country from Kenesaw Mountain to
Savannah and Atlanta, and from there through the Carolinas to Richmond
and Washington, visiting on the way, the bastiles of Libby and Belle Isle.
The last bearing he took with the compass was from Fairfax Court House
to the dome of the Capitol. He was discharged January 1, 1865, when he
returned to his home and engaged in the quiet pursuits of agriculture.
He was married March 4, 1866, to Anne E. Butts, and they have had three
children, one deceased. A vew of Mr. Barrows' residence is shown in this
Anthony Boston was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, April 27, 1807. He was the son of John and Barbara Boston, of Maryland, who emigrated to Kentucky, where he is now living (at Woodford), aged ninety-three years. Anthony Boston was married, December 9th, 1839, to Miss Louis Stevenson, daughter of Jas. Stevenson, of Kentucky, who settled in Morgan county in the fall of 1829, where he lived till 1831, when he died. His wife died, in Kentucky, in June, 1829. Mr. B. located on a farm near Virginia (now Cass county), in 1835, where he resided twelve years. Here he had a farm of eight hundred acres. He moved to Jacksonville in 1856, where he resided two winters, when he moved to the farm where he now resides, about three miles east of the city. He has had a family fo ten children, nine of whom are still living. They are all married but two, and well settled in life. Their names, in the order of their birth, are: James, William, Mary Ann, Jacob, Augustus, John W., George, and Martin (Martha); besides Judson and Charles, who are residing at home. Mr. Boston has reared and educated a large, respectable family, who are among the enterprising and intelligent citizens of the respective localities in which they reside.
John C. Bozarth was born on section 7, township 16, range 11 (Concord), Morgan county, December 26, 1826. He was the third son of Joseph Bozarth, who came from Christian county, Kentucky, and after residing a few months in Missouri, settled permanently in Morgan county, in 1823. He remained on the same farm until his death. July 16, 1847, aged fifty-six years and seven days. He was one of the early settlers of the county, and was esteemed for his many virtues by a large circle of acquaintances. He raised a family of eight children, five sons and three daughters. His daughter, Mrs. Ann Seehan, of Chapin, and his son, John C., are the only members of the family now residing in the county. John C. was married December 9, 1849, to Miss Harriet, daughter of Olney Ticknor, one of the early settlers, who is still living near Chapin. He had by this marriage five sons and three daughters, all deceased except James, William and Harry. Mr. Bozarth, as well as his ancestors, have always followed farming. He is a good, substantial and plain farmer, and has the satisfaction of knowing that, with a good heart and a willing hand, he has done his humble part in improving the moral and physical condition of his native county.
William H. Broadwell was born in Morgan county, September 14, 1823. He was the son of Baxter and Mary Broadwell, who were natives of Morristown, New Jersey. Mr. B. enlisted and served through the war of 1812, being mustered out in Ohio in 1815. He remained there two years, when, with his wife, he moved to Calhoun county, in 1817, and settled near the mouth of the Illinois river, where he remained till the fall of 1821, when he settled near the present town or station known as Morgan city. He lived there and followed farming till his death, December 8, 1832. He had seven children, two only of whom are now living, viz.: Wm. H., in business on south Main street, and Jane S., at present matron of the Jacksonville Infirmary. Wm. H. Broadwell served an apprenticeship at the blacksmith trade, and established business in Jacksonville, in 1845, which he followed till January, 1863, when he engaged in his present business, the sale of agricultural implements, garden and field seeds. Nine years ago he commenced this business, which has been constantly increasing to the present time. He is one of the self made men of Morgan county, who, by an upright course of dealing, and a friendly and amiable character, has drawn around him a large circle of friends and patrons, who duly appreciate his many good qualities as a citizen and business man.
Dr. Isaac H. Brown was born in Goshen, Litchfield county, Connecticut, October 20, 1805. He pursued his course of medical study in Pittsfield, Mass., and graduated in the city of New York, at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, February 20, 1828. The following spring he established himself in his profession at Avon, Conn., where he continued till the spring of 1836. He then emigrated to Quincy, Ill., remaining there about one year, when he located in Waverly, Morgan county, where he has successfully followed his profession to this time. Dr. Brown was married in Avon, Conn., July 29, 1834, to Miss Mary, youngest daughter of Chandler Woodford, by which union he has had eight children in the following order: Jane A., born March 3, 1836, present wife of Frederic Curtis, residing two miles east of Waverly; William W., born March 28, 1839, and now engaged in the sale of drugs and hardware on the west side of the square, Waverly, Ill.; Lucy M., born Aug. 12, 1841, present wife of Prof. E. A. Tanner, of Illinois College, Jacksonville, Ill.; Georgianna, born October 14, 1843, deceased; Oliver H., born August 20, 1846, and now engaged extensively in the sale of stoves and hardware on the west side of the square in Waverly; Albert C., born June 25, 1849, who, after graduating at Illinois College, is now with Dr. Prince, at the Infirmary in Jacksonville, and is taking steps towards a thorough medical course to qualify himself to adorn the profession his father has so successfully followed for over forty years; Frederic A., born October 22, 1851; and Sylvester S., born August 17, 1853, are now in their collegiate course at Illinois College.
Dr. Brown has a brilliant record as a physician and Christian gentleman;
his upright life and benevolent acts make him a pattern to all who may
follow him; by his love of truth, his devotion to science, his desire to
improve and elevate those with whom he has been associated in life, he
has merited and secured the confidence and respect of all who know him.
His family are widely known and appreciated throughout their native county
for their moral and intellectual attainments. Dr. Brown is still in the
enjoyment of his mental and physical faculties almost unimpaired by age,
and may live long to be a comfort to his family and a blessing to the community
in which he has resided for thirty-five years.
William Buckingham was born in Greenborough county, Virginia, May 1, 1807. He was the third son of James and Rebecca Buckingham, citizens of Virginia. In March, 1828, William came to Morgan county, and settled at Diamond Grove, near Jacksonville, where he was engaged in farming for two years. He moved to the village in the spring after the "deep snow" (1831), where he followed plastering and bricklaying till 1838, when he moved on his farm, two and a half miles from Jacksonville, where he followed farming for ten years. He sold his farm in 1848, and returned to town and followed his trade till 1856, when he engaged in the grocery trade for two years. He bought a farm, eight miles south of town, in 1858, which he cultivated about two years, and then sold it and moved to his present place, near town, on the Springfield road. In the firm of Buckingham & Hamilton he is now engaged in the ice trade. They put up, last year, over three hundred tons, and are prepared to store for the future sufficient to supply the increasing demand. Mr. B. was first married to Miss Armina Eaton, October 15, 1831, who died in June, 1833. He was again married to Mrs. Mary Landers, relict of James Landers, of Kentucky. He had, by this union, three children, two of whom are still living, viz: Margaret, wife of Jas. O. Hamilton (his partner in the ice trade), and Mary, wife of George Glover, United States mail agent, residing with her father. His wife died October 15th, 1844. He was again married, October 10th, 1847, to Miss Eliza Pitner, of Cass county. By this union he has William F., residing in Whitehall, Illinois. Mr. Buckingham has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church forty years. He is respected for his upright and consistent life, and is esteemed for what he truly is, a good citizen and upright business man.
Adam A. Butcher was born in Pike county, Ohio, January 20, 1826. He was married to Miss Mary Ann Thorp, December 29, 1850. He moved to and settled in Meredosia, in October, 1851. He bought the farm where he now lives and settled on it in March 1857. Mr. Butcher has six children all living at home, viz: Roland, born November 23, 1856; Royal, born June 10, 1858; Josiah, born December 4, 1861; George, born July 22, 1864; Albert, born December 9, 1866; and Ida, born June 4, 1870. Beside these his three oldest sons died in infancy. Mr. Butcher, as a parent, is kind and respected for his many virtues. May he long continue a solace and comfort to his family, and an ornament and blessing to the community in which he resides.
County Main Page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their