PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
DEWITT C. LEIB. The great editor, Horace Greeley, never made a wiser saying than when he wrote that "A man is a benefactor of his race when he causes two blades of grass to grow where but one grew before." Following this line of logic, the person whose name heads this sketch can truly be called a benefactor. His marvelous industry, coupled with his native intelligence, has conspired to place him among those who have patiently toiled under adverse circumstances, and have come out ahead in the unequal race. And it is always thus with such men. These are the people who make a free republic the best government on earth.
DeWitt C. Leib was born near Exeter, this county, March 23, 1848. His father, Daniel Leib, a farmer by occupation, and one of the pioneers of Morgan County, was a native of Tennessee and was of German descent. He died April 5, 1879, aged about sixty-eight years. His wife, the mother of DeWitt, died in 1851, and Mr. Leib subsequently married the widow of the late John Riggs. His first wife bore him three sons and two daughters. Two of the former died, one in infancy and the other at the age of seven years. DeWitt C. was reared on the farm and educated at the common schools and at North prairie Seminary. Mr. Leib was counted as one of the most successful farmers in the county, following that occupation until the fall of 1882, when he was elected to the office of County Treasurer. At the expiration of the term to which he was elected, he engaged in the grocery business at Winchester and followed it until June 1888. In 1886 he again entered politics, and made the race on the Democratic ticket for Sheriff and was defeated by fourteen votes.
The almost complete overthrow of the Democratic party in that election
forms an important and long-to-b-remembered epoch in the political history
of Scott County, with which this work has nothing to do, only as it is
mentioned to direct attention to the causes that led to the defeat of the
person of whom we are writing. Some time prior to 1886, and while Mr. Leib
was treasurer and a majority of the other offices were filled by Democrats,
the tax was levied to build the present magnificent Scott County court
house, which will always be pointed to as a monument to the public spirit
of the projectors of that grand pile. As the work of construction progressed
from month to month and lengthened from year to year, a sort of general
fright and senseless panic seized the granger tax payers lest the expense
of the structure would eventually bankrupt the whole community. It was
during this period that Mr. Leib concluded to make the run and stand for
the shrievalty, and in common with every other candidate without respect
of party who had anything to do with the "Court-house scheme"
as it was called, went down to, at least temporary, political ruin. Nevertheless
the court-house has been completed, the whole indebtedness wiped out, the
people in general are satisfied if not happy, and the men who suffered
martyrdom, in a political way, in its behalf, are now the heroes. The fact
that the scheme for building the Court-house has in these later days, when
reason takes charge of those who were so frightened, been approved by the
majority of the tax-payers is compensation enough to those who were defeated
at that election. Mr. Leib is now chairman of the Democratic Central Committee,
is an active party man, and is reckoned as one of the good citizens of
Winchester. He is a self-made man; what of this world's goods he enjoys
is the result of his own industry.
Mr. Leib was married at Exeter this County, Aug. 29, 1871, to Miss Susan Martin, and has one child, a daughter named Carrie. The family belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Leib is a working member of the Knights of Pythias.
DR. JAMES LEIGHTON, of Manchester may be considered to have been a pioneer physician of Scott County, although not among the earliest here, and for many years he was a leading member of his profession in this part of Illinois. He is widely known and honored, for he has not only been the beloved physician but the close friend in many a household, where his soothing touch has healed disease or stayed death's ravages. He has nor retired from active practice, though notwithstanding his advanced age, he is in full possession of his mental faculties and preserves his physical powers to a wonderful extent, enjoying excellent health, and frequently may be seen riding horseback to look after some of his farms or other property near here. While attending to his professional duties our subject has displayed an active propensity for business and finances and has accumulated wealth, and owns considerable valuable real estate in Greene, Morgan, and Scott counties, besides houses and lots in Manchester.
The doctor was born May 20, 1806, in Harmony, Somerset Co., Me., coming of sterling New England stock. His father, James Leighton, a miller by trade, was a native of the ancient town of Kittery, in York County, that State, and his mother, whose maiden name was Betsy Quinby, was born in New Hampshire. Of a family of eleven children, of whom but three survive, our subject was the third in order of birth. He was carefully reared by his parents and given the advantage of a liberal education, attending at first the district school, and at the age of sixteen entering Bloomfield Academy preparatory to studying medicine, and in that institution he was a pupil portions of three years. Shortly after his twentieth year he began to study medicine in Bowdoin College, and received his diploma in 1831, having pursued a thorough course of instruction and taking high rank for excellence of scholarship. He established himself in the practice of his profession in the town of Monson, in his native county. Jan. 30, 1832, the doctor was united in marriage to Miss Ann Hall, a lady of superior intelligence and culture, who was educated in Bloomfield Academy, of which her father, the learned Rev. James Hall, was preceptor. He afterward accepted a similar position in Anson Academy, the same county, and died there in 1835. The doctor remained in Monson six years, and then deciding that the West offered great attractions for a young and well-instructed physician, he removed with his family to the then far-distant Illinois, it requiring a month to make the journey by public conveyances, overland and by water. He settled here in Manchester, and opening an office was in continuous practice for forty years, not withdrawing from general practice till 1877. Those were busy years for him, as he had a large number of patients, and he won an enviable reputation among the members of his profession for his skill and success. During the fifty or more years of his life in Illinois the doctor has seen many eventful changes, and has watched with much satisfaction its great growth in population, wealth and standing, till it is one of the richest and proudest states of the Union. When he came here the country was very thinly settled and the improvements were simple and cheap. Illinois was then entitled to a representation of only three congressmen, and all the state north of the northern line of Madison County was in one congressional district. Now the State has twenty representatives in the National Legislature.
Our subject is a fine representative of the gentlemen of the old school, always courteous and considerate and refined in his manner, gentle and kind in his disposition, and a general favorite with all. He has mingled much in the public life of the community, and his wise counsel and enlightened views have made him invaluable as a civic officer. He has been Trustee of Schools for many years, and has been Township Tr4easurer for seventeen years. He is entitled to the prefix Hon., before his name, as in 1844, he was elected to represent his district in the Illinois Legislature, and served with honor and distinction. He has watched with intense interest the political growth of the country, and has always been strongly in sympathy with the Republican party, having been an old-line Whig before the formation of the Republican party. He identified himself with the temperance movement in 1831, and has favored it ever since, being a strictly temperate man in deed and word, and, in fact he is in favor of all reforms.
Aug. 15, 1864, death invaded the household of our subject and removed
the beloved wife, who had walked with hand in hand over thirty-two years.
She filled the perfect measure of all that belonged to a true and noble
womanhood, and was an influence for good upon those about her in whose
hearts she held a warm place and has left an abiding memory that is pure,
sweet and holy. Of her wedded life with our subject six children were born,
five of whom are living, as follows: James M., a general merchant in Manchester,
married, and his wife died, leaving him three children; Horace, in the
grocery business in Manchester, married and his wife died; Kate, wife of
Nathaniel E. Pegram, of Lincoln, Logan Co., Ill., has six children; Helen
keeps house for her father; George Clinton is married and lives in Pennsylvania.
ADDISON J. LESLIE. In noting facts concerning the building interests of Meredosia, the name of this gentleman is found to figure prominently therein. He is a skilled mechanic with a good understanding of his trade, and has operated as a contractor for many years. His promptness and reliability have secured for him a good patronage among the business men of his community, where he has erected a large number of buildings.
Mr. Leslie is essentially an Ohio man, and was born in Trumbull County, that State, June 2, 1844. His father, Samuel Leslie, a native of Pennsylvania, is long since deceased, but his mother, Mrs. Mary (Covert) Leslie is still living, and is now in the ninetieth year of her age; she makes her home in Rockford, this State, with her daughter; she also is a native of the Keystone State. They left Ohio about 1845, emigrating to the vicinity of the present site of Beloit, Wis., and later removed thence to Winnebago County, this State, where our subject attained his majority. He attended the public school in Beloit, and at an early age became familiar with the various employments of farm life, also learning the trade of a carpenter, at which he served two years.
As a journeyman carpenter, Addison J. Leslie subsequently worked in Galesburg, Ill., a number of years, and in due time began operating as a contractor, being thus occupied three years in Knox County. He came to Meredosia in the spring of 1873, and has built up a good business, giving employment now to usually four workmen, and some times more. Besides his village property, he is the owner of 240 acres of land in Meredosia Precinct. Like many of the men around him, he commenced life for himself without means, and has arisen to his present position solely through the exercise of his industry and good management.
On the 27th of November, 1873, our subject was united in marriage
at the home of the bride in Meredosia with Miss Emma Agnew. Mrs. Leslie
was born in Indiana, July 30, 1855, and by her union with our subject,
is the mother of three children, only one of whom is living, a daughter,
Alta. Their home is pleasantly located in Meredosia, and they count their
friends by the score in this county. Mr. Leslie supports the principles
of the Republican party, and has served in some of the local offices. Socially
he belongs to Benevolent Lodge, No. 52, A.F.&A.M., and has filled all
the offices in the Blue Lodge. He also belongs to Meredosia Chapter No.
11, R. A. M., and for some years has been Secretary of the Chapter. In
religious matters, he is identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
He has watched the growth and development of Central Illinois, with the
warmest interest, and has given his uniform encouragement to all the projects
tending to elevate the people, socially and morally, and better their financial
JONAS LITER, known and honored as the founder of the village of Liter, is a member of a noted pioneer family of Morgan County, that came here in the early days of its settlement, and bore a prominent part in its development. He is living on the old homestead his father purchased fifty years ago. The farm owned by him, which he is managing with good profit, is one of the fairest and most valuable of the fine farms in this region. And he is considered one of the most enterprising and skillful of the practical agriculturists of township 16, range 10.
Our subject is a Kentuckian by birth, and his immediate ancestors were among the earliest white settlers of that State in the time of Daniel Boone, of whom they bought a large trace of wild land, embracing many thousand acres. His grandfather, John Liter, it is thought was a native of Pennsylvania, at all events he was married there, and there his son Jacob, father of our subject, was born. The grandparents removed to Kentucky in an early day, and as before stated, bought a large tract of land of Daniel Boone. They lived about three years in Grant's Fort as a measure of safety against the hostile Indians. They, the grandparents, died in Kentucky, and the title of their 10,000 acres of land proving to be worthless, after several years of litigation, the family were obliged to relinquish the entire tract. John, the eldest son, then left the old Kentucky home, and with others made his way to Rolls County, Mo., where a Liter settlement was made. There were eight children born to the grandparents, namely: John, Lewis, Jacob, Abram, Henry, Tina, Kate, Betsy. Tina married Torence Smith, who died on the battlefield in the late war, and she died in this county; Kate married John Giltner and they both died in Kentucky; Betsy married George Livey, and they both died in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Jacob Liter, the father of our subject was married in Kentucky to Miss Catherine Boyier, and there their nine children were born, whose names are as follows: Abram, Andrew, Jacob, John, Polly, Sam, Sarah, Joseph, and Jonas. In September, 1839 they came with their family to this county, located on the farm, where the subject now lives, and here spent their last days, and are now peacefully sleeping their last sleep in the little family cemetery, where their children in affectionate remembrance of their goodly lives have erected monuments commemorative of their virtues. They were both people of earnest religious character, and were consistent church members, he of the Stoncite Church of Kentucky, and she of the Lutheran Church.
Our subject was a little past nineteen years of age when he came to this county, and his life has since been passed on the old homestead in this pleasant locality. He owns 300 of the original 600 acres of the Liter farm, lying on section 2, township 16, range 10. It is under admirable tillage, every acre being cultivated to its full capacity, and all capable of yielding rich harvests. The buildings, including a commodious dwelling, roomy barn, etc., are of a substantial order of architecture. The farm joins the village of Liter, which was planned and laid out by our subject on his own land after the railway passed through, and is a monument to his enterprise and shrewd foresight.
On Feb. 14, 1849, Mr. Liter was united in the bonds of holy matrimony with Miss Emeline, daughter of Emery and Rebecca (Padgett) Shed. Her parents were married in Cincinnati, Ohio, and her father died in that city when she was a mere child, and her mother soon after brought her to Illinois. The following children have been born to her and her husband: Elizabeth, now Mrs. Samuel C. Ennis; Mary, who died at the age of six years; Joseph married Luella Black, daughter of John Black; William is dead; Jane, now Mrs. Charles L. Massie; Angeline married Dr. S. Griffin, and both are dead; Jonas F.; Edward is dead; Eva L. and Luella are at home.
On the 18th of May, 1883, a terrible calamity befell this family in the destruction of the village of Liter, wherein perished some of its beloved members. On that eventful day a cyclone swept through this township, leaving death and desolation in its track, and in a few minutes the village of Liter was almost destroyed; the depot, the cars on the railway, and nearly all the houses were blown to pieces, and nine persons were instantly killed, including Edward Liter, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Liter, and their daughter and son-in-law, Mrs. and Dr. Griffin, with their child. Outside the village the awful storm did not do so much damage, and although several were hurt, but few were killed.
Mr. Liter is possessed of much executive ability and business tact,
and has increased his share of his father's estate by shrewd management,
and is numbered among the wealthy members of his precinct. He is a man
whose worth and stability of character is conceded by all, and he is an
influence for good in his community. He and his family are leading members
of the Baptist Church, and in all that they do evince a true Christian
JOSEPH LONGNECKER is numbered among the capable, sturdy pioneers of Scott County, whose faithful and well directed labors in the past did much to develop its great agricultural resources, and who have contributed largely to its present prosperity. His farm on the eastern limits of the city of Winchester is one of the finest in the vicinity in point of cultivation and improvement, and here he is living in retirement amid the scenes of his early toil, free from active care, and in the enjoyment of an ample competence, in one of the very pleasantest homes for which this locality is noted. It is rendered especially attractive by the fruit trees, small fruits and shrubberies surrounding it, and a profusion of rare and beautiful flowering plants that are under the especial charge of Mrs. Longnecker, who has arranged them with good taste and fine effect.
The subject of this biographical review was born June 6, 1813, in Cumberland County, Pa., coming of good old Pennsylvania stock. His father, of the same name as himself, was also a native of the Keystone State, his birthplace in Lancaster, but his mother, Elizabeth Ruplee, was born in the same county as himself. They had a hard time of it in their early married life, as Mr. Longnecker, who was a farmer, had to struggle to pay for his farm of 200 acres. The mother passed away from the scenes of earth first, dying in February, 1839. The father survived her some fourteen years. Eleven children gladdened the lives of that worthy couple, four of whom are now living, three daughters and our subject.
Joseph Longnecker received a meagre education, attending school only in winters, and in the summer seasons worked to earn money to defray the expenses of his education. At the age of seventeen he began to learn the trade of a carpenter, serving an apprenticeship of about three years, and at the age of twenty had acquired a thorough knowledge of the trade. For awhile after that he worked as a journeyman carpenter until he found employment in building railway cars, but after working at that a few years he went into the commission business.
April 15, 1851, by his marriage to Nancy, daughter of Peter and Sarah (Houser) Barnhart, of Germany, he secured the able assistance of one who has proved the best of wives and the kindest of mothers. Nine children have been born unto them, of whom the following is recorded: Sarah, born Jan. 28, 1841, is the wife of James Watt, of Winchester, and they have five children; Peter, born Feb. 28, 1857, lives in Newton, Kan., where he is engaged in business as a jeweler; John, residing on the homestead, married Ella Young, and they have four daughters (for further particulars concerning John see biography of him on another page of this work); George, born April 8, 1862, unmarried, owns a jeweler's establishment in Winchester, but makes his home with his parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Longnecker came to Illinois with their children in 1846, and after living in Winchester two years he moved onto his farm, having bought 145 acres of land on his arrival here. He has added to it since until he now owns 224 acres of fine farming land, lying all in a body, and nearly all under cultivation. The years that followed his settlement here was fraught with labor and care, as he was busily engaged in clearing his land of timber and tilling the soil, planting shade trees and orchards, etc., and building the present roomy, substantial dwelling, barns, sheds, etc., that adorn the place. Our subject continued engaged on his farm until 1856, when he bought an interest in a flour mill, and assisted in its management, but after a year's experience in that line he sold out and gave his entire attention to his farm. He has interested himself greatly in rearing stock, keeping as many cattle and horses as the farm can support.
Mr. Longnecker is fairly alive to all political issues, and at general
elections votes the Democratic ticket, but in local affairs votes for the
man whom he regards as best fitted for the position without regard to his
party affiliations. He has usually tried to shun office, though a man of
his ability, judgment, and integrity is rightly considered by his fellow
citizens to have the requisite qualifications for a civic official, and
they have twice elected him to be Alderman of the First Ward. Religiously,
both he and his wife are valued members of the Methodist Episcopal church,
and he has been Trustee of the same. He has always been a very temperate
man, never using tobacco or liquor, and his life has been guided by high
principles, and its record is without blemish. He and his family occupy
a high social position in their community, and are in every way worthy
of the consideration and respect accorded them.
JOHN LONGNECKER, JR., is numbered among the intelligent and enterprising members of the farming community of his native precinct, Winchester, and is in good circumstances, owning considerable valuable property. He resides on his father's old homestead, where he was reared and which is under his management, and here he is devoting himself to stock raising, and his fine graded cattle and horses compare with the best in the neighborhood.
Our subject was born in Winchester, Aug. 12, 1847, and is the third child of Joseph and Nancy (Barnhart) Longnecker, whose sketch appears in this work. He was one year old when the family moved to the farm where he now lives, and as soon as large enough he used to assist his father in its cultivation, and then attended school in the winter seasons. He was an ambitious, bright student, and he managed to fit himself for a teacher, and was engaged at that profession in Scott County, five years, but with that exception he has given his attention to agricultural pursuits. He began for himself when he was twenty-one, his father hiring him to assist him till he was twenty-three, when he took charge of the home farm, his father retiring to private life, out subject continuing to make his home with his parents until he was married and established a home of his own. That auspicious event in Mr. Longnecker's life occurred March 25, 1875, on which day he was wedded to Miss Ella Young, a woman whose amiable and lovely disposition has won her many warm friends. Their home is one of the prettiest and most attractive in the precinct, and to any one crossing its threshold and sharing its hospitality, the evident union of spirit between the members of the family gives the impression that happiness and love dwell here and reign supreme. In this pleasant dwelling four children have blessed the parents, of whom the following is the record: Carrie, born Feb. 17, 1876, is an apt scholar and attends school in Winchester; Mable, born May 15, 1878, is also a promising pupil in the same school; Emma, born Oct. 30, 1880, a bright, quick little scholar, is in the third grade at school; Nancy, the youngest, was born April 14, 1884. Besides instruction in the public schools, Carrie and Mabel receive music lessons at home, their parents being anxious that they shall be accomplished and well educated.
Mrs. Longnecker was born June 12, 1857, on the old homestead in Scott County, that was the birthplace of her father, Alexander Young, sixty-two years ago, and which is still his dwelling place and that of his wife, whose maiden name was Emily McGlassen, she also being a native of Scott County. Of their six children, two are dead and the remainder are married and have left the old home. Mrs. Longnecker was their fourth child in order of birth, and she received a good common school education, and remained at home until her marriage with our subject.
Our subject is a fine representative of the so-called self-made men
of this county, as, being well endowed mentally and physically, by energy,
shrewdness, and sound management, he has made his way to a high place among
the solid, reliable citizens of the community with whose interests his
own are bound up, and while working hard for himself he has materially
aided in securing the prosperity of the precinct and the county. He is
active in politics, lending his influence to the Democratic party in general
elections, but in local elections voting for the man rather than for the
party, and he has been delegate to the county conventions repeatedly. He
and his wife are prominently connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church,
as two of its most valued members. He is a Trustee of the church, and has
been Secretary of the Sunday school. Mrs. Longnecker belongs to the W.C.TU.,
and is also a member of the Ladies' Foreign Missionary Society. Mr. Longnecker
is a member of Pioneer Lodge No. 70, I.O.O.F., and has been Secretary and
Trustee of this lodge. He is an active member of the Scott County Stock
Breeder's Association, and is prominently identified with the Anti-Horse
Thief Association of Scott County, and has served as Financial Secretary
since its organization.
WILLIAM G. LUMSDEN. This sturdy old veteran who is approaching the eighty-third year of his age, is one of the earliest settlers of his neighborhood, and has for many years been comfortably established at a well-regulated farm on section 17, township 13, range 10. He came to Central Illinois during the days of its pioneership, and for many years labored early and late in transforming a portion of the wild prairie into cultivated fields and a permanent homestead. With the assistance of his devoted wife he realized in a goodly measure the ambitions of his early manhood, obtaining a competency for his declining years, and gathering around him troops of friends, of whose esteem and confidence he has been assured in many ways. During the period of his active life he was quite prominent in local affairs, and contributed his full share in developing the county and encouraging the enterprises calculated for the general good.
Louisa County, Va., was the native place of our subject and his birth occurred Sept. 23, 1806. His parents were William and Ann Lumsden, both natives of the Old Dominion, while his paternal grandfather was a native of Scotland; the mother traced her ancestry to England. The family lived in Virginia until 1818, then removed to Kentucky and located in Todd County, where the parents spent their last days upon the farm which they built up from the wilderness, and where their children were reared to manhood and womanhood.
When about seventeen years old the subject of our sketch left the farm and began learning the tanner's trade, which he followed a number of years. The education he received was acquired in the primitive log school house, first in Virginia and then in Kentucky, the advantages of that day being far inferior to those enjoyed by the present generation. At the age of twenty-five years he was married, in Kentucky, Sept. 1, 1831, to Miss Lucy Keeling. This lady was born in Halifa County, Va., Oct. 11, 1803, and was the daughter of Edmund and Nancy (Francis) Keeling, who were also natives of the Old Dominion. The Keeling family traced its descent to Scotland, while the Francis family was of German descent.
In 1834 Mr. Lumsden set out with his wife and one child, in a covered wagon with five horses and accompanied by Elijah Harlan, for Illinois. Mr. Harlan stopped in Macoupin County, but Mr. Lumsden, after a twenty days journey, halted in the embryo village of Jacksonville. In those days there were neither railroads or hotels, and the emigrants stopped wherever night overtook them, cooking and camping by the wayside, and sleeping in their wagons. Soon after his arrival Mr. Lumsden rented a tract of land, upon which he farmed two years, then purchased land about one and one-half miles west of the present site of Murrayville. A year later he sold out, and then rented land three years from Uncle John Hughes.
In due time our subject made permanent settlement on the farm which he now owns and occupies, and which embraces 220½ acres of choice land. Only thirty acres had been broken at the time of his settlement here, and there was a frame house of one room, besides an old log hut. The family moved into the house before it had been plastered, and used the log structure for a kitchen, and the mother also kept her loom there, for the housewives of those days were obliged to spin and weave, and manufacture most all the cloth for the family use. Mrs. Lumsden also wove scores of yards for her neighbors and the people around, in order to assist her husband in making both ends meet.
With the hardships of those days there were mingled many pleasures notwithstanding, and in due time there gathered around the hearthstone of our subject and his estimable wife the faces of a number of bright children, the record of whom is as follows: Susan E. became the wife of John Bracewell, of Wayne County, Iowa; James W. is now living with his father; Martha is the wife of Thomas Widdup also of Iowa; Frances M. lives in this county; John T. is a resident of Champaign County; Mary J. is the wife of Edward Wyatt, of Murrayville; Edward T. lives in Monticello, Ill.; Nancy F. is the wife of Howarth Ayre, and they live in Black Pool, England, where Mr. Ayre has been employed as a carpenter for half a century.
Mr. and Mrs. Lumsden have been for many years members in good standing
of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which our subject has officiated
as Steward, and contributed to its support. He joined the Republican party
at its formation, and has served as Constable, Township Trustee and School
Director. He is a member of the Old Settlers Society of Morgan County,
and is one of those men whose name will be held in kindly remembrance long
after he has gone the way of all the earth.
WILLIAM T. LUTTRELL. A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner, neither do uninterrupted prosperity and success qualify for usefulness and happiness. The storms of adversity, like those of the ocean, rouse the faculties and excite the invention, prudence, skill and fortitude of the voyager.
The subject of this sketch has passed through many of the vicissitudes of life, and has been thoroughly schooled by experience. He never studied books three months in his life. He is one of the pioneer boys of Morgan County, born Dec. 20, 1831. His parents came to Morgan County, where his father located on land south of Franklin. John R. Luttrell, his father, was born in Adair County, Ky., April 1, 1810, where he lived until 1822, when he came here and commenced farming. Here he still lives.
Our subject had four brothers - Hiram J., James Monroe, Isaac Newton, and John W., in Franklin, Morgan County. Hiram married Mary E. Hammond; both are deceased. They had three sons - Albert, henry A. and Richard. James married Mary A. Ward, of Franklin; they both died leaving four children - Lewis, Thomas, Ernest and Cora. Isaac Newton married Catherine Brewer, of Morgan County; he is a farm of New Virden, Sangamon County, this State. Our subject married twice, his first wife, Mary F. Burnett, died without issue. The second wife, Eliza A. Wright, is a native of Illinois. Her grandfather was in the Revolutionary War.
William T. Luttrell has a good war record. He enlisted Aug. 9, 1862, in the 101st regiment, Illinois Infantry, Col. Fox commanding. Capt. J. M. Fanning was the commander of his company. He saw service in 1863 at Vicksburg, and was under Gen. Grant at Missionary Ridge Sept. 23, 24 and 25. He was also with Gen. Sherman on his famous march to the sea, and was finally discharged at Washington, D. C., June 7, 1864. He enlisted as a private soldier and by strict attention to duty was promoted to the rank of First Lieutenant.
After the war closed he returned to the peaceful pursuit of agriculture
in Morgan County, where he owns a splendid farm of 250 acres, all accumulated
since his return from the war. Mr. Luttrell has a good military and civilian
record and bears a first-class reputation among his neighbors for all the
qualities that constitute a good citizen. He is a Republican in politics,
but the allurements of office have no charms for him.
County main page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their