PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
GEORGE JAMESON, Sheriff of Morgan County, became a resident of the city of Jacksonville over thirty years ago, in the fall of 1856. He has consequently witnessed its transformation from an unimportant village to its present wealth and prosperity. He first opened his eyes on the other side of the Atlantic, in Northumberlandshire, England, Feb. 17, 1837, and is the son of George and Mary (Chat) Jameson, who were also of English birth and parentage. The father followed blacksmithing through life, and departed hence in 1859, Wales. The mother survived her husband a period of twenty-seven years, remaining a widow, and passed away at Hexham, in Northumberland, England, in March, 1886. There were only two children in the family, both sons, of whom George is the only one living. His brother, John, met with a violent death in England, having been run down on a railroad track and instantly killed. He was a contractor by occupation, and fifty years old at the time of his death.
The subject of this sketch commenced work at blacksmithing in the shop of his father when a lad of thirteen years. He was thus occupied six years, and when a youth of nineteen crossed the Atlantic, settling first in Toronto, Canada, where he remained three months. Then coming to the States, he made his way at once to this county, where he worked as a journeyman blacksmith until the spring of 1859. Then opening a shop he began business in a modest manner, and has still continued thus employed, being very successful, and having usually from six to ten men, including three of his sons. These latter now have the general charge of the business. Mr. Jameson has been quite prominent in local affairs, being first elected Alderman of the Third Ward and holding this office two terms. He was elected County Sheriff in 1886, and was the second Republican elected to this office in Morgan County. He has had four deputies - John G. Loomis, William D. Matthews, A. G. Austin (who died in August, 1887,) and W. T. Layton. He also has a turnkey, Charles E. Goodrich.
Mr. Jameson sometime ago wisely invested a portion of his capital in land, purchasing a farm of 420 acres, four miles south of the city. This is under a high state of cultivation and provided with all modern improvements. It is operated by a tenant. The residence of Mr. Jameson, which, with its surroundings, comprise one of the finest dwellings in this city, is located at the corner of Harding and Morton streets, and has in connection with it three acres of ground. Surrounding the residence are beautiful shade and ornamental trees, the buildings are in the modern style of architecture, and the whole forms a lovely home. Presiding over its domestic affairs is a very estimable lady, formerly Mrs. James Spires, to whom he was married in November, 1886.
Mr. Jameson was first married in 1860, when twenty-three years of age, to Miss Mary Jane Coultas, who was born at Lynnville, this county, and was the daughter of William and Jane Coultas, who were numbered among the prominent residents of the county. Of this union there were born nine children, six of whom are living, namely: Jennie, Mrs. Spires, is a resident of Jacksonville and the mother of one child, a son, George; William L., married Miss Nell Seymour, and they live in Jacksonville; John R.., George, Grace and Frank are all residents of Jacksonville.
Mr. Jameson cast his first Presidential vote for Lincoln, and since that time has uniformly given his support to the Republican party. He is also a member of the I.O.O.F. Mrs. Mary Jameson departed this life, at her home in Jacksonville, in 1879. It has been remarked of her by those who knew her best, that she was an "every-day Christian." A kind wife and a devoted mother, she sought only the good of those around her. She had been for many years a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and adorned her profession in her daily walk and conversation..
Considering the fact that Mr. Jameson came to this country poor in purse and without any other resources than his stout heart and willing hands, in noting his position among men today it will be acknowledged that he merits the plaudit of "well done." Not only has he given strict attention to his own business affairs, he has been signalized himself as a liberal minded and public spirited citizen, giving cheerful assistance to the projects set on foot having for their object the general good of the community. He has twice revisited his native land, taking in also Scotland and France.
J. H. JEWSBURY. Few of the prominent, prosperous residents of Morgan County are "sons of the soil." The majority have been attracted hither by the fame of the broad prairies, and the pleasing aspect of the country, rich in prospects of future wealth. Some, however, have spent their entire life in the land of their birth, and amid adverse surroundings, have arisen to affluence. Such is the character, and such represents the career of J. H. Jewsbury, a successful farmer of twenty years experience. In this volume appears a view of his home, which is situated on a farm of 280 acres highly improved, and supplied with good buildings. Since 1865 most of his time has been passed on this farm.
He was born four miles northeast of Jacksonville, and is therefore a native of Morgan County, his birth occurring Oct. 2, 1840. He is the youngest son of Richard and Mary A. (Smith) Jewsbury, natives of Derbyshire, England. Richard Jewsbury was reared as a hardware salesman, while in England. He received an unusually good education in his mother country, and while yet a young man, was considered very talented. He married his wife in the county of his birth, and she, like himself, was possessed of a very good education. They lived in the town of Measam, near Atherton, and there three of their children were born: Richard S., now a resident of this county; John C., who lives on a farm in Bourbon County, Kan., and Thomas N., who became a saddler and harness-maker, in Jacksonville, Ill. It was in the spring of 1836, that the parents, with their three little children, sailed for America, and after a voyage of six weeks, they landed in New York City, and later proceeded to Toledo, Ohio. The wife and children remained in that city, while Mr. Jewsbury came on horseback to Morgan County. There he purchased what was known as the Porter Clay farm, being named for a brother of the great orator and Statesman, Henry Clay. This farm was mostly improved and well-stocked. He later returned to Toledo, and brought his wife and children in a one-horse wagon to Morgan County, shipping his household goods by rail and lake. When he came here he expected to find a new and undeveloped country, and preparing himself for any emergency, brought along a large supply, not only of the necessities, but also of the comforts of life, including a fine library of 300 volumes, which was, no doubt, the largest then to be found in this part of the State. After some years Richard Jewsbury sold his farm in this county, and located for about three years in Cass County, Ill. In 1846, during the period of their residence in that county, Mrs. Jewsbury died at the age of forty-three years. She was a consistent and earnest member of the English Church, and universally beloved.
In 1849, Mr. Jewsbury with his second son, John C., set out for California. His camping outfit was complete, and his mode of transportation was with wagons, drawn by ox-teams. He left Cass County in March, and crossed the Missouri River at St. Joseph, and westward over the trail then used by those seeking the gold fields. They reached the American Eldorado, in August, after a trip devoid of any startling incident. For some two years they mined with but little success, then bought a place near the coast, and engaged as farmers for three years, with but little better success than they had experienced in mining. Becoming tired of California, in the spring of 1854, they started home by the Isthmus route, taking passage on the same vessel that carried Gen. John C. Fremont, on his first trip from Panama to New York. After Mr. Jewsbury landed in New York City, he proceeded to Morgan County, and from that time lived with his children. His death occurred at the home of one of his sons, near Jerseyville, Jersey County, Ill., in February, 1886, when within two months of being eighty years of age. He was a member of the Baptist church, and politically, a Democrat.
J. H. Jewsbury was well educated by his parents in the public schools of Morgan County. He lived at home with his father for three years after the death of his mother, and since that time, has earned his own living. He was married near Waverly, Ill. To Miss Lucinda E. Adams, who was born in the southwestern part of Morgan County, on April 2, 1846. She is a daughter of Phelps and Matilda A. (Jones) Adams, natives of North Carolina and Kentucky, respectively. Mr. Adams was born in 1815, and came to Morgan County with his father, John Adams, in 1832, they becoming necessarily early settlers. They located land in the southwestern part of the county, where John Adams died, aged about fifty years. Matilda A. Adams nee Jones, came North with her father, Thomas Jones, to Morgan County, in 1825, and here he died, aged seventy-two years. Her mother also died here when she was more than seventy years of age.
Mr. and Mrs. Adams were the parents of eight children, Mrs. Jewsbury being second. After the children were born, Mr. and Mrs. Adams removed to Sangamon County, Ill., settling near Waverly. Mr. Adams died suddenly of heart disease, while on a visit to Jacksonville, in July, 1883. He was a good citizen, and trained in the Democratic party. His wife, who survives him at the age of sixty-seven lives with her children, and is in good health.
Mrs. Lucinda E. Jewsbury was carefully reared to all kinds of domestic
work, and was well educated. She is the mother of four children, one of
whom, Joseph, died when he was seven years of age. The living are: Albert
W., Frederick H., and Wilmuth P. Mr. and Mrs. Jewsbury attend the Christian
Church, at Chapin. Politically, Mr. Jewsbury is an ardent Democrat. He
is one of the very best citizens of Morgan County, and has attained his
eminence as a business man and a neighbor, by strict attention to his own
affairs, and fair dealings with all men.
WILLIAM B. JOHNSON, senior member of the firm of W. B. Johnson & Sons, occupies a fine business block, which he put up in the summer of 1877, and which embraces Nos. 65 to 70 on the east side of the Square, in Jacksonville. He gives employment to twenty men, and has supervision over one of the most important industries of the city. He came to this place in 1850 when it was an unimportant village, and started business in a small way in tinware and stoves. In 1862 he added furniture to his stock, and, under the impetus of a steadily increasing patronage, the house rapidly attained its present position in the front ranks of the furnishing business.
The Blue Grass State was early home of our subject, his birth taking place in 1829. His parents, Lively and Agnes (Thurman) Johnson, were natives of Virginia. They lived in Kentucky until 1830, the father in the meantime engaged in farming in Cass County, his land being located three miles from the town of Chandlerville. This was Government land when he settled upon it, and the first dwelling of the parents was a cabin in the timber. It contained but one room, and was built in the most primitive manner, no shingles, iron, sawed timber or glass being accessible. The fireplace admitted sticks of wood ten feet in length. Upon leaving Kentucky, they came to this county, where the father engaged in farming until his death, which took place in 1834, while he was still a young man. He had, however, signalized himself as a worthy citizen, and had been especially active as a temperance advocate. Religiously, he belonged to the Old School Presbyterian Church. The mother survived her husband a period of thirty-six years, and spent her last days on the old homestead, her death taking place in 1870. The nine children of the parental family all lived to mature years. Those surviving at the present time are Sarah, Mary, William B., our subject, and John B. The deceased are Martha, Nancy, Susan, Elizabeth and Catherine.
The subject of this sketch spent his younger years under the home roof, and later learned the tinner's trade in the city of Springfield. He established in business for himself, first in Mt. Pulaski, Logan County, but fourteen months later removed to Fulton, Whiteside County, and thence came to Jacksonville in 1850. In 1851 he was married to Miss Sarah E. Lawson, a native of Kentucky. Of this union there were born six children, two fo whom died at an early age. The four living are all sons. William H. married Miss Florence McGill, a native of New York State, and is the father of one child, a son, Frederick M. William is a partner of his father. John L. and Edward are members of the same firm. Charles A. is pursuing his studies in the city schools.
The family residence is pleasant located at No. 423 West State Street,
and in its furnishings and surroundings is fully in keeping with the means
and station of its inmates. Death entered this peaceful abode in November,
1887, calling away the devoted wife and mother. Mrs. Johnson was a very
estimable lady, and a member of the Presbyterian Church for many years.
About the time of her connection with this church, Mr. Johnson also became
a member, and has served some twenty years as Trustee. In political matters
his sympathies are with the Republican party. He has ever maintained a
lively interest in the welfare of his adopted city, and has aided in the
development of coal mines, the securing of railroad advantages through
this region and the building of factories. He has thus signified the public
spirit, without which no city can attain to prominence or prosperity.
H. K. JONES, L.L.D., M.D., senior member of the firm of H. K. & C. G. Jones, became a student of the Literary Department of Illinois College in 1839, and was graduated from that department in 1844. He then entered the Medical department of the same College in 1844, graduating in 1846. After this important event he commenced the practice of his profession in Missouri, where he lived for several years. But his old attachments drew him back to Jacksonville, where he has resided since that time, a period now of nearly forty years. His career has been that of a conscientious practitioner, an honest man, and a good citizen. A native of Rappahannock County, Va., our subject was born August 5, 1819, and is the son of Stephen and Mildred (Kinnaird) Jones, who were also natives of the Old Dominion. The father emigrated from his native State to Missouri about 1827. He had been an extensive farmer in Virginia and carried on the same occupation after crossing the Mississippi. He died in Lincoln County, Mo., in 1831. The mother survived thirteen years, dying in 1844.
The paternal grandparents of our subject were from Wales and Scotland. Grandfather Jones crossed the Atlantic in time to do good service in the Revolutionary Army under the direct command of Washington. He spent his last years in Virginia. To Stephen and Mildred Jones there were born five children, namely: Mrs. Maria Follson and Mrs. Nancy Kimes, deceased: Hiram K., our subject; Richard M., who was also a physician and is now deceased; and Cumberland G., the associate of our subject in his practice.
Mr. Jones was reared on the farm in Missouri, and remained under the parental roof until a youth of sixteen years. In the meantime he improved his opportunities for education, and after leaving school was occupied in teaching for a period of eight years in the academies and other schools of Lincoln County, Mo. About 1844-45 he commenced the study of medicine, fitting himself for the collegiate course. He emerged from the classical department of the Illinois College in 1844, and from the Medical department in 1846. He commenced the practice of his profession at Troy, Lincoln Co., Mo., and four years later was appointed Assistant-physician of the Insane Hospital in Jacksonville, which position he held until 1854. That year he became a resident of Jacksonville. For ten years he has been a member of the Board of Trustees of Illinois College, and in 1855 was appointed to fill one of its vacant chairs and deliver lectures during the winter. He is a member of most of the medical societies of both the State and county.
In 1879 Dr. Jones in company with five other gentlemen organized the Concord Summer School of Philosophy at Concord, Mass., and for five years thereafter attended and delivered a course of lectures each summer. This organization was officered as follows: A. Bronson Alcott, of Concord, Mass., Dean; prof. F. B. Sanborn, of Concord, Secretary; Prof. L. H. Emery, Jr., of Quincy, Ill., Director; Prof. Dr. W. T. Harris, L.L.D., of St. Louis, Mo., and Dr. H. K. Jones, Directors. This institution is entirely self-supporting and at each session there are delivered lectures by the famous literary men and women of the country, such as: Dr. A. C. Bartol, of Boston; Miss Elizabeth P. Peabody, of Massachusetts; Pres. Noah P. Porter, of Yale College. Julia Ward Howe, of Boston; John Abbe, of Massachusetts, and Mrs. Edna Cheney, Boston. The session commences in July of each year and continues four weeks. Its existence and purposes are familiar to the cultured and literary people of both East and West.
The lady chosen for the life companion of our subject, with whom he was united in marriage in 1844 was in her girlhood Miss Elizabeth Orr, a native of Pike County, Mo., and the daughter of Judge Philip and Lucy Orr, natives of Missouri, and at the time residents of that county.
Mrs. Jones is a lady of much literary ability and with her husband
is a member in good standing of the Congregational Church. Their beautiful
home with its modern improvements is finely located on West College avenue,
where the doctor also has his office. He has little to do with politics,
otherwise than to support the Republican principles by his voice and vote.
DR. C. G. JONES, junior member of the firm of H.K. and C.G. Jones, and who, with his brother, commands a lucrative practice in Jacksonville and vicinity, was born in Rappahannock County, Va., Sept. 3, 1827. He was taken by his parents to Lincoln County, Mo., when a mere child, and spent his time there upon the farm and in attendance at the common school until a youth of sixteen years. He then became a student in Troy Academy, in Lincoln County, Mo., and later, in 1849, of Illinois College. From this institution he was graduated in 1854. Then returning to Missouri, he organized and conducted an academy in Troy, while he devoted his leisure hours to the study of medicine.
Our subject, about 1866, came to Jacksonville and completed his medical studies under the instruction of his brother. During the winters of 1866-67 and 1867-68, he attended the St. Louis Medical College, from which he was graduated, and soon afterward became associated with his brother in the practice which they have since made extensive and profitable. He was married July 22, 1856, to Miss Sarah Wing, of Troy, Mo., who was born March 28, 1828, in that place. The parents of Mrs. Jones were Horace B. and Mary (Perkins) Wing, who were natives of Vermont and are now deceased.
In the sketch of Dr. H. K. Jones, found elsewhere in this volume,
will be noted the parental history. Our subject, politically, is an earnest
Republican, and, with his estimable wife, a member of the Congregational
Church. Dr. Jones is connected with most of the medical associations of
Illinois, including the Morgan County Medical Society, besides the Macroscopical
Society of Jacksonville, the American Philosophical Society and the Jacksonville
Literary Club. His resident is in the western part of the city, near that
of his brother.
LYMAN F. JOY. The subject of this notice is full worthy of mention in connection with the early history of this county, to which he came during the period of its early settlement when a lad five years of age. The journey thither was performed overland by team from Pittsfield, N. H., and the Joy family settled in a small log cabin which they occupied until enabled to build a better dwelling. In the meantime the father occupied himself in developing the land which he had purchased, and for a few years they endured all the difficulties of life on the frontier. Industry and economy in due time placed them upon solid ground, and the result of their labors and sacrifices was a well-regulated homestead, and a large measure of the comforts of life.
Our subject is of excellent New England ancestry, and the grandson of James Joy, who was born in Durham, N. H., and was a blacksmith and ship builder by trade. He also engaged considerably in agricultural pursuits. He was a man of much force of character, active and enterprising and prominent in his community. He lived to be eighty years of age, and spent his last days retired from active life at Groton, Mass. In the meantime, however, he, in 1837, had visited Illinois, and by entry and purchase secured about 1,000 acres of land on sections 4 and 5, township 15, range 11, this county. At this time very little of the land in this region had been turned by the plowshare. Grandfather Joy began making improvements, but after a time returned to the old Granite State, and sent his three sons, John, the eldest, and the father of our subject, Charles and Sylvester, to finish what he had begun. John Joy was practically the manager of the property, and upon a part of this he lived and labored the remainder of his life. He finally became te owner of 480 acres, which he improved into a good homestead, and where his death took place in February, 1879. He had been very successful, and made a specialty of stock-raising, from which he realized a good fortune.
John Joy, like his father, was also a native of Durham, N. H., and at an early age learned to handle the blacksmith tools in his father's shop, and also assisted the latter in carrying on the farm. He was married in Loudon, his native State, to Miss Judith Bachelder, who was a native of that place and the daughter of an old New England family, who were prominently connected with the Congregational Church. The parents of our subject, after their marriage, lived in New Hampshire about five years, then equipped themselves for the long journey to Illinois. The trip occupied one month, and upon reaching this county, they settled upon a part of the land which grandfather Joy had entered form the Government, and John Joy prosecuted farming uninterruptedly, until his decease, which occurred in 1879. The wife and mother lived about twelve years after coming to this State, passing away when only about forty years of age, and leaving an only child, our subject. She was a member of the Congregational Church from her youth.
John Joy, after the death of his first wife, was twice married, and the homestead is now owned by his third wife, by whom he became the father of two children: Charles B., who remains at the homestead, and James A., who is engaged in the grocery trade, and furnishing railroad supplies in Pueblo, Colo. The maiden name of the mother of these boys, was Jane Bigger. She is a resident of Jacksonville, and is now past sixty years of age.
The subject of this sketch learned his letters in the old Granite State, and later attended the primitive schools of this county for a time, and when sufficiently advanced in his studies, became a student of Illinois College. In the meantime he had also learned farming in all its details, and chose this for his vocation. In 1855 he took unto himself a wife and helpmate, Miss Angelica Hazelton. This lady was born in Vermont, March 10, 1838, and is the daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Weatherby) Hazelton, who were also natives of the Green Mountain State, and of excellent New England ancestry. They came to Illinois in 1838, and located on land near Chapin. There the wife and mother died in middle life. Mr. Hazelton was married a second time, and finally removed to Mt. Hope, McLean County, this State, where he died when about forty-five years old. Of his first marriage there were only two children: Angelica and Mary Ann; the latter is now deceased. Of his second marriage there was no issue. The Hazeltons were ranked among the best families of that time, and their daughter, Mrs. Joy, is a lady of more than ordinary worth and intelligence. She was left an orphan when quite young, and her early advantages were quite limited, but she has made the most of her opportunity, and is at once recognized as a lady of refinement and cultivated tastes.
Seven children came to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Joy, two of whom - John P., and Arthur B., (twins) died in infancy. Minnie the eldest daughter, is the wife of Albert Rice, who is farming near Arnold, this county; they have two children, Harry J., and Florence. Mrs. Rice received an excellent education, completing her studies in the Methodist College. Miss Nettie Joy completed her education at Creston, Iowa; Edward F., attended school at Galesburg. Walter died April 11, 1889; Ruth B. All are at home with the exception of Mrs. Rice.
Politically, Mr. Joy is a sound Republican, and in religious matters
is with his excellent wife, an active member of the Joy Prairie Congregational
Church, in the councils of which Mr. Joy has always taken an active part,
and is numbered among its chief pillars.
CHARLES B. JOY. Those who are familiar with history and biography can scarcely fail to notice the fact that the most solid and substantial families are they, who, reaping wisdom from the maxim, that, "a rolling stone gathers no moss," have clung to the property of their forefathers, each generation effecting additional improvements, and usually increasing its value. An extended residence always give dignity to a family or individual, and this fact is finely illustrated in the subject of this notice, who occupies the old homestead, comprising land which was entered by his paternal grandfather, John Joy, in 1837, from the Government. Here Charles B. was born, Jan. 31, 1859, and here he has spent the greater part of his life. He is the owner of 320 acres of cultivated land, besides forty acres of timber and also operates the farm of his mother, comprising 150 acres. To successfully conduct these various interests, requires no small amount of judgment and management, and the indications are that Mr. Joy is proving himself quite equal to the task.
While carrying on general agriculture, Mr. Joy, is likewise largely interested in fine stock, especially horses, having the celebrated young stallion, "Mayroc," a registered animal No. 15,819, three years old and imported one year ago by J. W. Ramsey, the noted breeder of Springfield, Ill. This animal weights about 1,700 pounds, has a coat of shining black, and has already made for himself an enviable reputation. Mr. Joy has also a number of thorough-bred mares, and in fact is able to exhibit some of the best specimens of the equine race in this county. All his operations are characterized by that thoroughness, method and system which is indispensable to and is almost invariably followed by success.
The Joy family is represented elsewhere in this volume, and is recognized as occupying a leading position in its social and business circles. Charles B., our subject is the son of John P. and Jane B. (Bridgeman) Joy. The maternal grandparents of our subject were also natives of the Buckeye State, where Grandfather B., carried on farming and died. The mother, later, came to the home of her daughter in this county, where her death took place. To the parents of our subject there were born four children, two of whom - Walter and Clarence died in infancy. James Allen, the elder brother of our subject, is a resident of Pueblo, Col., where he is engaged as a wholesale grocer; he is also interested in a stock ranch in Arizona.
The subject of this sketch spent his boyhood and youth at the parental
homestead, his life passing in a comparatively uneventful manner, until
assuming the graver duties attendant upon man's estate. He is more than
ordinarily intelligent, keeps himself well posted upon current events,
and in politics gives his unqualified support to the Republican party.
He is a regular attendant of the Congregational Church, to which his mother
belongs, and is regarded as one of the rising young men of this county.
His mother, who has now nearly attained her threescore years, makes her
home in Jacksonville, with out subject.
County main page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their