PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
MRS. EMMA (MILNER) HEWSON occupies one of the most beautiful homes in the city of Jacksonville, at No. 1357, South Clay Avenue. She is a most estimable and highly respected lady of cultivated tastes and ample means, and is the widow of John Hewson, who departed this life, March 30, 1885, leaving his wife and two children to mourn their loss. He had been a kind husband and father, a good citizen, and a capable business man, and a resident of this county since its pioneer days.
Mr. Hewson was born near the town of Rippon, Yorkshire, England, July 29, 1812, and in his youth served an apprenticeship at boot and shoe making. He crossed the Atlantic in 1843, and coming immediately to Illinois, settled on a tract of land which embraced a portion of the mound four miles west of the present site of Jacksonville. Later he removed to a point seven miles south of the city, where he purchased 240 acres, and brought the land to a high state of cultivation, effecting all modern improvements, among them being the erection of a handsome residence, and the setting out of a large quantity of fruit and shade trees. He was prosperous in his labors, and acquired a competency. In the fall of 1869 he retired from active labor, leaving the farm and moving into the city, where he spent the remainder of his life.
Miss Emma Milner became the wife of John Hewson, January, 1835. She was born July 9, 1818, in Leeds, Yorkshire, and is the daughter of James and Elizabeth (Wade) Milner, natives of England, where they spent their last years. To Mr. and Mrs. Milner there were born seven children. Of all these children, one alone survives.
The residence and grounds which comprise the pleasant home of Mrs. Hewson, were purchased in 1860. The estate includes three houses, and the store building in the city. Mr. Hewson was a very energetic and capable business man, and by his lively interest in the upbuilding of Jacksonville, has left his name on record as one of its most valued citizens. He was a staunch Republican, a strong temperance man, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he officiated as Steward and Trustee.
Elizabeth, the eldest daughter of Mrs. Hewson, became the wife of John Fink, and is now deceased. They were the parents of five children - Frank, Eva, Luella, Stella, and Maude. Ellen, Mrs. James A. Cook, is a resident of Jacksonville, and the mother of two children, Orrin, and Emma. Mrs. Hewson is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and contributes liberally of her time and means to the furtherance of religious work. She is very popular in her community, and held in universal esteem.
On another page is a lithographic engraving of John Hewson. This
will be a highly valued memento to his many friends, who mourned his death
as a personal loss.
DR. LUKE CHANDLER HIGGINS. The name of this successful and popular practitioner is familiar to the leading residents of Naples, where he has labored for many years as a physician and surgeon with phenomenal success. He, however, is fond of farming pursuits, and makes a specialty of stock-raising, - an industry in which he takes great pride - and has bred some of the finest animals in this part of Scott County. He is popular in his community conscientious and straightforward in his dealings, and in all respects a praiseworthy citizen.
Dr. Higgins represents an excellent family, being the son of Samuel C. Higgins, a native of Elizabethtown, N.J., and the grandson of Capt. Luke H. Higgins, who was born in New Jersey and followed the sea. The latter was of Scotch descent, and met his death by drowning off the coast of Brooklyn. Samuel Higgins learned shoe making in his native State, whence he removed in his youth to Rochester, N.Y., where he was married and engaged in the shoe business. He finally, in 1844, traded the property which he had accumulated for an 80 acre farm in Genesee County, N.Y., where he still resides, and is now eighty years old (September, 1888). Our subject boasts of twin uncles, eighty-one years old in July, 1888. These remarkable old gentlemen were residents of Brooklyn, N.Y.; one died in October, 1888, and the other is living. The father of our subject was a Democrat in politics, and a supporter of the Presbyterian Church, of which his wife had been a member over forty years.
Mrs. Mary (Godby) Higgins, the mother of our subject was born in Bristol, Mass., and was the daughter of Seth Godby, a descendant of English ancestry, and a carpenter by trade. She lived to the age of seventy-four years, and was an active member of the Presbyterian Church. She spent her last years in Genesee County, N.Y. They lived on the same farm forty-two years. The parental household included five children, the eldest of whom, Isaac M., is a resident of Macon County, this State, where he prosecutes farming and the breeding of full blooded horses; he is a member of the Horse Breeder's Association. Mae J., Mrs. Richards, lives in Macon County, where her husband is engaged as a farmer and stock-raiser, dealing largely in horses and cattle of fine grades; Robert S. is farming in Genesee County, N.Y.; Sarah died at the age of three years. Our subject was the youngest.
Dr. Higgins was born in Corfu, Genesee Co., N.Y., Jan. 4, 1845, and was reared a farmer's boy, attending the common school until eighteen years old. He then engaged in the study of medicine under Dr. Isiah Rayno, for four years, during which he entered the medical department of the Buffalo University, attending three school sessions, making a three years' course, and was graduated with honors in the spring of 1868, receiving his diploma, signed by Millard Fillmore, ex-President of the United States. He came West and began the practice of his profession in Macon, this State, in April, 1868. He continued here until September, 1869, then, coming to Naples, pursued his practice with the same fidelity as heretofore, and was soon in the enjoyment of a large and lucrative business. He for some time labored under considerable disadvantage, but has come off with flying colors. His practice extends throughout Pike, Morgan and Scott counties, but he makes his headquarters at Naples, where he has two residences and four lots. He also owns 160 acres of land at Bernard post-office, in Lincoln County, Kan. He is also engaged in the livery business, keeping about fifteen to twenty head of good road horses. In the cattle line his favorites are blooded Holsteins, which he obtained from different parts of this State and Ohio, and which he grazes on the Illinois bottoms. He pursues this industry simply for the love of it. He has one magnificent thorough-bred Hambletonian trotting stallion, "Robert Bonner," who has made a fine record, and also has other full-blooded trotting stock, mostly colts.
Not content with the interests already mentioned, Dr. Higgins is quite an apiarist, having about fifty stands of bees, the largest collection in his precinct. He is a gentleman of excellent education, especially in his profession - a close student and of regular habits. He votes the Democratic ticket, and socially, belongs to the I.O.O.F., at Naples. He has served as President of the School Board four years, and is now serving his fourth term as a member of the same. He has also been a member of the Board of Trustees. Connected with his profession, he is the examiner for fifteen different insurance Companies.
Dr. Higgins was married in Naples, May 8, 1869, to Miss Louie W.
Weed. Mrs. Higgins was born in Sandusky, Ohio, March 5, 1849. She came
to this county with her mother and stepfather when quite young. She was
partially reared in Madison, Wis. She was educated at Oberlin College,
Ohio, and completed her studies in the State Normal School of Missouri.
Of this union there have been born two children - Samuel C., Jr., and Jennie
ROBERT HILLS is a general farmer and stock raiser, and is pleasantly located n section 32, township 15, range 11, at which place he owns a well-improved farm of 170 acres. Mr. Hills has been successful, and is well and favorably known as a first-class farmer. He has resided on this farm continuously since his marriage.
Mr. Hills came to this country in 1857, from Durham, England, where he was born in the town of Gainford, Jan. 20, 1840. He came of Scotch ancestry, his grandfather, Robert Hills, having come from Scotland with his parents when a small boy. His grandfather spent the most of his life in Durham and Yorkshire as a farmer, and died at the age of eighty years, and was buried in Durham County. He married Sarah Gibson, a native of England, who lived and died there. It is a noteworthy fact that the family are very long-lived to be nearly seventy years or older, and some as old as eighty years. The father of the subject of this notice, Edmund Hills, was one of the younger of this remarkable family of thirteen children. They were all well known as temperance people of good habits, and high moral qualities. Edmund Hills grew up in the county where he was born, and began life as an English farmer usually does, and is still living in Durham County, over seventy years of age, and is stout and active. He was married to Mary Howe, of English birth and parentage, and born in Durham County, where she has since lived. Edmund Hills and wife are members of the Church of England, and are well thought of in their community. They were the parents of twelve children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the eldest. In the family of children there were five sons and seven daughters, and of these four sons and six daughters are still living. Robert, two brothers and a sister are residents of the United States, and all are married.
Robert Hills, of whom this biography is written, was reared in his native country, and on April 22, 1857, he started for America, taking passage at Liverpool on the Steamship "Kangaroo," of the Inman line, and after a voyage of thirteen days, landed at New York City, when he immediately set his face westward and came to Morgan County. At this time he was under age, and began life in his new home as a laborer. He continued in this occupation until his marriage, which occurred at the bride's home, in this township, April 27, 1862, Miss Sarah Allinson becoming his wife. She was born on the old Allinson homestead on section 2, township 15, range 11. She is the eldest child of Adam Allinson, who was born not many miles from Gould, in Yorkshire, England, in 1801. He came of English ancestry, and was the son of Adam Allinson, who had been a blacksmith and veterinary surgeon, and who was married to an English lady of his native shire, to whom was born two children - Thomas and Adam, Jr. Thomas Allinson learned the trade of his father, that of blacksmith, and when yet a young man left his home for America, being the first of his family to cross the sea, this being about the year 1819. For a time he lived in Southern Indiana, and later his father, mother and brother Adam came over, in 1820, and joined him. The father of Thomas and Adam died soon after landing in Indiana, being then an old man. In 1821, the younger brother, Adam, father of Mrs. Hills. Constructed a primitive flatboat, which he launched on the Wabash River, placed all his worldly possessions thereon, and started down the river. He floated down the Ohio to Cairo, and then poled his boat up the Mississippi River to Naples. On his way up the Illinois River to reach Naples, he passed through, what to him was a very lonely country. He, however, set out for Jacksonville, and in the same year began to look around for some of the rich Government land that was then to be had in this county. He found what he wanted, and preempted the land on which the County Poor Farm and the Illinois State College are located, but later, to procure just the home he wanted, he came on to township 15, range 11, and preempted several hundred acres of land. He here found the most eligible building spot in the county, on a knoll of considerable elevation, overlooking a large scope of country, and here he built his first house before he was yet married. He has built and re-built since, until his now beautiful homestead stands as a monument to his memory. His death occurred in 1880, he having reached the age of fourscore. It was soon after he had come to this county that the mother and an older brother, Thomas, came on and joined him. Thomas located the property where Mr. Robert Hills now lives, and made that his home until 1856, when he went to Macon County, Ill., and purchased 1300 acres of railroad land and improved it. He there died, in 1863, at a ripe old age. The mother of the two boys, Thomas and Adam, lived with the latter until her death, which occurred some years after she came to Morgan County, aged sixty-six years.
After Adam Allinson had come to this county he married Miss Mary Norwood, who was a native of Yorkshire, and whose parents, Robert and Sarah Norwood, came to the United States in 1827, and made a settlement in Morgan County. Here Mr. and Mrs. Norwood lived and died, the former dying in 1836, of cholera, the period when that disease was epidemic in Illinois; his wife dying some years later. Mr. Norwood was a miller, and ran the mill which his son-in-law, Mr. Allinson, had built, which is probably the first one erected in this county. Its motive power was supplied by oxen, eight or ten of these animals treading a wheel forty feet in diameter. The customers of this mill came from sixty miles around.
Mrs. Mary Allinson was a young woman when her parents came to America.
She died in 1874, some years before her husband, at the age of sixty-six
years. She attended the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was a good mother
and neighbor. Three of her six children are now deceased: Thomas, Sr.,;
Thomas, Jr.; and Ann, who was the wife of John Funk. She died in Morgan
County, leaving two sons. The living children are: Mrs. Hills; Mary, wife
of George Bramham, and the youngest of the family, Adam, whose biography
appears in another part of this volume. Mrs. Hills, is the mother of four
children, one of whom, Robert, is deceased; he died at the age of nineteen
years, and was a bright young man. The living are as follows: Leonard married
Sarah McFarlane; they are living on a farm in Morgan County. Mary, the
wife of Thomas Packard, lives on a farm near Franklin; Adam E. is at home,
and a bright boy. Mr. and Mrs. Hills attend the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and politically Mr. Hills believes that the Republican party is right.
HERMAN HOBROCK, one of the most prominent and influential German farmers of his township, is the proprietor of over 603 acres of land, lying in Scott and Morgan counties. He rents a part of this, and has in his homestead 320 acres under a fine state of cultivation and embellished with modern buildings. The residence is especially fine and stands in the midst of beautiful grounds, making one of the most delightful homes that heart could wish. The barns and other outbuildings are in keeping with the well known enterprise and ample means of the proprietor. Mr. Holbrook si a man popular in his community, and his amiable wife is a lady of more than ordinary intelligence and fine traits of character. Their's is apparently a model home, where affection may bid defiance to the outside world, being in itself a safeguard amid the troubles and afflictions of life.
Mr. Hobrock was born in what was at that time the Kingdom of Hanover, Germany, June 8, 1842, and at an early age was placed in school and pursued his studies quite uninterruptedly until a youth of fourteen years. A year later, in the fall of 1857, he and his parents started for America, taking passage on the sailing vessel "Industry" at Bremen, which landed them, after a voyage of eleven weeks and five days, in the city of New Orleans. Thence they made their way to the vicinity of Beardstown, Illinois, where the father secured a tract of land, and in the cultivation of which our subject assisted until he was twenty-one years old.
Young Hobrock at this time, having in view the establishment of a home of his own, commenced farming on rented land in Cass County, where he remained two years. He had in the meantime, with genuine German thrift and prudence, saved a snug little sum of money, and now purchased 160 acres of land in Meredosia Precinct, upon which he operated until 1870. Then selling this he purchased 120 acres which he still owns. He brought about all the improvements upon his farm, and one year operated a sawmill in Meredosia. This, however, he soon abandoned, it not being congenial to his tastes, and thereafter gave his whole attention to agricultural pursuits.
In the spring of 1887 Mr. Hobrock purchased the improved farm of 320 acres which constitute his present homestead and to which he soon afterward removed, renting his other land. This farm is beautifully located and is mostly level ground, lying about four miles from Naples and the same distance from Bluffs. A fine windmill conveys water to whatever point required, and there are all the other modern conveniences required by the enterprising and progressive agriculturist. He raises corn and wheat and graded stock, also buys and feeds cattle and swine in large numbers. Mr. Hobrock is able to lay by a snug sum of money as the result of his labors.
Our subject was married at the bride's home near Meredosia, in Cass County, March 8, 1865, to Miss Eliza Kramas, who was born in Cass County, this State, and is now the mother of six children, viz.: Henry, Fred, Caroline, Annie, Emma and William. They are all at home with their parents. Mr. Hobrock votes the straight Republican ticket, but aside from officiating as School Director and Clerk of the Board, has very little to do with public affairs. He was an active member of the Lutheran Church at Meredosia and one of its most liberal contributors, assisting generously in the erection of the church edifice and officiating as Trustee at the time of its erection. While in Meredosia he was for a number of years Superintendent of the Sunday School.
Christian Hobrock, the father of our subject, was, like himself, a native of Hanover and the son of Haman Hobrock, who was of pure German stock and spent his entire life in the Fatherland. Christian was a carpenter and joiner, also a contractor, and operated a small farm. In 1857 he came to America and located near Beardstown, in Cass County, this State, where he purchased land and grew very prosperous as a farmer, finally becoming the owner of 200 acres. He brought this to a good state of cultivation and lived there until 1872, then sold out and retired from active labor. He now makes his home with his son, out subject, and has arrived at the advanced age of seventy-eight years. He has been an honest and hard-working man, and is a member in good standing of the Lutheran Church. The wife and mother, Mrs. Mary (Erk) Hobrock, was likewise born in Hanover, and coming to America with her family, died in Beardstown, this state, in 1872, at the age of sixty-four years. Their four children were Annie and Henry, residents of Cass County; Herman, our subject, and Victor, a resident of Beardstown.
ROBERT HOCKENHULL. This esteemed and highly respected citizen, is widely and favorable known to the people of Jacksonville. He was born in the town of Bunbury, Cheshire, England, on the 23d of November, 1816, and is the son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Woodward) Hockenhull, and the eldest of their family of three children. The other two children, John and Sarah, are now deceased.
The genealogy of the Hockenhull family is traceable through many generations, and in days gone by, the male members were prominently identified with the local and political affairs of Cheshire, officiating as Sheriffs, and occupying other positions of responsibility and trust. Robert, out subject, came to the United States in the spring of 1838, and traveled extensively over the Western Continent. The prairie land of Illinois appeared to him the most pleasant stretch of country he had found, and he resolved to make his future home here. Six months after his arrival he returned to England, where he remained the following seven months. Finally persuading his parents to allow him funds to invest in the United States, he returned hither, accompanied by his brother, John, in the spring of 1839. They came directly to this county, and Robert established himself in the drug trade at Jacksonville, his brother John acting as clerk until 1845. The latter then secured a half-interest in the business, but it soon reverted to its former owner.
Mr. Hockenhull continued in the drug trade until 1865, when he sold an interest in his business to J. W. Young and S. B. Hardy, and at once formed a co-partnership with Edward R. Elliott & Samuel R. King for the purposes of banking, under the firm name of Hockenhull, King & Elliott. This institution has taken its place among the leading banking houses of the country, and is recognized as one of the most substantial, conservative, yet enterprising and public-spirited financial concerns in the country.
The marriage of Mr. Hockenhull and Miss Matilda McMackin, was celebrated in 1847, and to them were born the children named as follows: Elizabeth, Margaret, who died in infancy, Jennie, Sarah, John N., and Robert M. Elizabeth is the wife of Dr. M. A. Halsted, of Jacksonville; Jennie married Mr. T. J. Hook, of Jacksonville; Sarah married Rev. William J. Harsha, pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church, at Omaha, Neb.; John married Miss Aspasia LaSalle, of Orange, N.J.; Robert M. married Miss May Weagley, of Jacksonville. The sons are both connected with the banking house.
Mrs. Matilda (McMackin) Hocckenhull was born in the city of Philadelphia, Pa., and was the fifth in a family of nine children. She came with her parents to Jacksonville, in 1836, and after fulfilling in a most creditable manner the duties of a wife and mother, departed this life in the spring of 1882. Her family was of Scotch ancestry, and possessed in a marked degree the reliable and honest characteristics of that nationality. Mr. Hockenhull was married a second time to Miss Rebecca Rust, of Jacksonville, this event occurring in June, 1884.
Mr. Hockenhull during his early manhood voted with the old Whig party, and upon its abandonment cordially endorsed Republican principles. He was very conscientious regarding the right of suffrage, and refused to vote until he had been a citizen of the United States for seven years. He has become fully identified with the interests of his adopted country, and claims that he has the advantage of the native-born citizen in that he is an American by choice, while the other is an American from force of circumstances. Providence has blessed him with a competence, as a result of his labors. He has given liberally of his means for the establishment of worthy institutions, among them the Presbyterian Academy, and the church of that denomination, with which he is connected, while he has also assisted in the erection of the Illinois College building, and two Presbyterian Church buildings that were destroyed by fire. He has been a Trustee of the Illinois College for many years, and occupies a leading position among the men who have contributed to the growth and development of Morgan County.
A portrait of Mr. Hockenhull on another page of this work, is an
important addition to its value, and will be viewed with interest by its
SARAH P. HOCKENHULL. The subject of this biography, a lady widely known and highly respected throughout the city of Jacksonville, is a native of Southeastern Pennsylvania, born at Columbia, the county seat of Lancaster County, Aug. 28, 1814. Her father, Dennis McMackin, was a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, and her mother was in her girlhood Margaret Nelson, a native of Wilmington, Del. Dennis McMackin spent his early years in County Tyrone, and was one of a large family of children, and the first one of the family to come to the United States. He made his first journey hither in 1803, lived for a time in Pennsylvania, then returned to Ireland, and a year later came back to America, accompanied by his sister, Martha. They settled first in Soudersburg, Lancaster Co., Pa., and a year later removed to Columbia. Mr. McMackin was married soon after his second visit to the United States.
The father of our subject was a boot and shoe manufacturer by occupation, and about 1819 left Columbia and took up his residence with his little family in the city of Philadelphia. There he followed his trade until coming to Illinois, in the spring of 1836. He settled in Jacksonville, but only lived two years, his death taking place in the fall of 1838. The mother was one of a family of six children, and was born in Wilmington, Del. She accompanied her husband to Illinois, and survived him many years, her death taking place in Jacksonville, about 1865, at the ripe old age of eighty-four. Her father was a native of Scotland, and emigrated to America about 1764, settling in Wilmington, where he distinguished himself as a successful physician, and allied himself with the cause of the struggling Colonist, abandoning his profession for the time, to take an active part in the Revolutionary War. Prior to this he was a very wealthy man, but his property was confiscated by the British. He was stigmatized as the "learned Scotsman". He leased to Caesar A. Rodney, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, a tract of land known as the Cold Spring Farm, situated on the Christine, for a term of ninety-nine years. Gen. Washington frequently sojourned under his roof while passing through that section of country. Not only was his grandfather ruined financially during the agitation of those terrible times, but was broken down physically. The British offered a prize for his head, esteeming him a power among Colonists to be feared. He was a man of cultivated and literary tastes, a firm believer in the Christian religion, and published a number of works controverting the doctrines of Thomas Paine. He took a lively interest in educational matters, and taught Greek and Latin to the young men of his town. He built the First Presbyterian Church at Wilmington, a venerable pile which is still standing, and in the society officiated for many years as Elder.
Miss Martha McMackin, the aunt of our subject, was the mother of John McClintock, D.D., who at the time of his death was President of Drew Theological Seminary. For a number of years he was a professor in the Dickinson College, of Carlisle, Pa. To her and her husband, John McClintock, there was born among other children, he who became known as the celebrated Dr. James McClintock, one of the most eminent physicians and surgeons of the city of Philadelphia.
The brothers and sisters of Mrs. Hockenhull are recorded as follows: Jane P. was born in 1811, and married Stafford Smith, of Philadelphia; Margaret, who was born in 1813, became the wife of Joshua Moore, of Jacksonville, now deceased; Sarah P. was the third child; Catherine married Insley T. Goudy, and became the mother of several children, all of whom are deceased, with the exception of one son, Ainsley, who is now a resident of Jacksonville, this county; Matilda was born in 1818, in Philadelphia, and became the wife of Robert Hockenhull, a banker of Jacksonville, Ill.; she died in 1882; Eliza, who was born in 1820, is unmarried, and a resident of Atlantic City, N.J.; Mary A., born in 1822, became the wife of William Divine, of Philadelphia, where she now resides.
The subject of this sketch accompanied her parents to this county in May, 1836, there coming with also, Stafford Smith and wife. Jacksonville was then an unpretentious village. Mrs. Hockenhull was then a young lady twenty-two years of age, and had been educated in the schools of Philadelphia. She was first married to Joseph C. Thompson, a native of New Hampshire, but at that time, in 1845, a resident of Meredosia, Ill., to which he had come in 1831. He was an extensive farmer, and interested in merchandising and pork packing. He had previously married, and of his first union there had been born a son, Joseph W., who is now a resident of Jacksonville. Of his union with Miss McMackin, there were no children. Mr. Thompson departed this life at his home in Meredosia, on the 17th of July, 1855.
Mrs. Sarah P. Thompson continued her residence in Meredosia until her marriage with Mr. John Hockenhull, a retired merchant, of Jacksonville, who died in 1885. Mr. Hockenhull was a man of means, enterprising, active and industrious, and a citizen esteemed by all. He took an active part in the support of the Union cause during the Rebellion, and contributed liberally of his means to this end. He was a native of Manchester, Cheshire, England, and crossed the Atlantic during his youth. During the early days of that church, he identified himself with the Westminster Presbyterian Church, and after becoming a voting citizen, allied himself with the Republican party. He retired from active business about 1858, and purchased a place in Morgan County, which he named Mulberry Grove, and in the beautifying of which he took great delight. He possessed more than ordinary taste in matters pertaining to landscape gardening and floriculture, and his suburban home was literally an Eden of beauty. Mrs. Hockenhull, however, was injured by a fall, and on this account he sold his country home and moved to Jacksonville in the fall of 1875.
Mr. Hockenhull, in company with his wife, returned to his native land in the spring of 1871, and traveled all over England, visiting the principal scenes of its historical events, many of its old castles and ruins, and therefrom gathered many a souvenir in the line of choice paintings and engravings. Not only a lover of nature in all its forms, he was also a connoisseur in art matters, and his home was a model of taste and beauty. Providence had blest him with this world's goods, and he was numbered among the public spirited, and liberal men of his State, giving freely to those less fortunate, and to the projects calculated to benefit the community. IN all this he was careful that his right hand should not know what his left one did. His benefactions were made quietly and unostentatiously as one who felt that it was more blessed to give than to receive. Educational and religious institutions found in Mr. Hockenhull a never failing friend. In his private life and the home circle, he was kind and indulgent, and lived closely up to those principles taught by the great Master.
The father of Mr. Hockenhull, who was also of English birth and parentage,
was an architect of rare ability, and there are still standing in the city
of Manchester, in the shape of many of its public buildings, the monuments
of his taste and skill. Notable among these is the famous Manchester Theatre.
This worthy gentleman came to his death by being thrown from a horse while
on his way to Balmoral, which is now chiefly notable as containing one
of the favorite palaces of Queen Victoria. The town of Hockenhull, adjacent
to the residence of Lord Byron, was named in honor of a member of this
JOSEPH HODGKINSON, who is numbered among the prosperous and enterprising farmers of Scott County, has risen to his present honorable position through the quiet force of persistent labor and indomitable will, that has overcome all obstacles that lay in the pathway of success. He owns a fine, well-stocked farm on section 11, township 13, and a pretty, comfortable home pleasantly located just outside the corporate limits of the city of Winchester. He is mostly engaged in stock raising, and is prominent member of the Scott County Stock Breeder's Association, of which he has been a director for six years, and now has entire charge of the horses belonging to the Association. These animals are the finest in the county, and consist of two Percherons, one Clydesdale, and one French coach horse. Mr. Hodgkinson is eminently fitted for the responsibility of such a position, as he is a dear lover of the horse, has a perfect knowledge of the animal, knows all their best points, and understands the best methods of handling them.
On Christmas Day, 1832, in Kirk Ireton, England, the subject of this sketch was born to George and Fanny (Dale) Hodgkinson, both natives of Derbyshire, England. His ancestors were a race of yeomen in old England, and the father and grandfather of our subject were also tillers of the soil in their native land. In the fall of 1843 the family emigrated to America, and coming directly to Illinois bought a place, comprising forty acres of wild land, about five miles southeast of Winchester. But the father and mother were not destined to enjoy the new home long, for the former was killed by being thrown out of a wagon, in the winter of 1844-45, and six weeks later the poor mother died from the shock of the dreadful blow that had befallen her and her little ones in a strange country so far from their old English home. The six children born to that worthy couple, comprising three sons and three daughters, are all living, and on the death of their parents they were separated and bound out till they came of age: Fannie, now Mrs. Megginson, of Morgan County, was bound to Adam Allinson till she was eighteen years old; Hannah, now Mrs. Jones, of Scott County, was bound out to James Coultas till she was eighteen; George, who lives in Republic County, Kan., was bound out to Robert Woodall, Sr., till he was twenty-one; Robert, who has lived in Vallejo, Cal., since 1861, was bound out to his uncle, Charles Frost; Ann, who lives in Macoupin County, Ill., and our subject, were bound out to William Wonksley, of Scott county, till they became of age.
The latter was to work on a farm and to attend school occasionally. He had to work very hard, received a limited education, and was poorly clad, having the ordinary experience of such boys. He left those people before his time was up, in the fall of 1852, and began to look out for himself, being a young man of an ambitious, energetic disposition. He was employed by his uncle, Charles Frost, who gave him $12 a month, and he remained with him till February, 1853. He then went to Morgan County, and was there working on a farm when the war broke out, and he then returned to his uncle again, and was engaged on his farm and other farms, and also in shipping horses to St. Louis for some time. October 11, 1865, Mr. Hodgkinson took one of the most important steps of his life in his marriage, on that date, to Miss Louisa, daughter of the late Reuben and Martha (Adkisson) Howard, natives of Tennessee, who were among the earliest settlers of Scott County. The father, who was a practical, successful farmer, died Jan. 17, 1884, and the mother died Feb. 22, 1877. They had six children, four daughters and two sons, one son and one daughter now being dead. Their son Newton gave up his life in the late war. He was a private in Company H, 129th Illinois Infantry, was taken sick and died in the hospital in Nashville, Tenn., Oct. 2, 1863. Mrs. Hodgkinson was the youngest child, and was born Feb. 21, 1837, in Scott County. Of the three children that has blessed the happy wedded life of herself and husband, two are now living: George R., born May 27, 1878; Viola A., May 31, 1880. They are bright and intelligent children, and are receiving good educational advantages. The greatest sorrow in the wedded life of our subject and his wife was occasioned by the death of their little daughter, Martha F., who was born May 17, 1867, and died April 23, 1871.
After marriage Mr. Hodgkinson settled on fifty acres of land, and four and three-fourth miles southeast of Winchester, on the Manchester Road, which he bought Sept. 8, 1865, and still owns. He has added to it since, having bought sixty acres in 1867, and ten acres in 1882, besides two and ninety-eight one-hundredth acres on the outskirts of the city, where he has built his home. He has greatly increased the value of his farm since it came into his hands, has set out shade trees, built two barns, sheds, etc., and made many other improvements.
Mr. Hodgkinson is a frank, warm-hearted man, with a pleasant manner,
that wins him esteem from all with whom he comes in contact, either in
a business or social way. He is gifted with firmness, sagacity and natural
tact to a large degree, and so manages his affairs as to produce the best
results financially. His fellow-citizens rightly judge him to be a good
man for office, and wished him to serve as County Commissioner, but he
refused to allow his name to be used for that position. He has, however,
been School Director and Road Supervisor of the precinct, and in both cases
did good work for the community. He occasionally takes part in politics,
and uses his influence in favor of the Democratic party. Both he and his
wife are zealous members of the Christian Church, he being an Elder in
the same. Mrs. Hodgkinson is pronounced by those who know her well, to
be a very fine woman, kind, sympathetic, and motherly, and a true Christian.
When her parents became infirm through age she and Mr. Hodgkinson kindly
undertook the responsibility of caring for them, and fulfilled this duty
faithfully, and after the death of the mother Mrs. hodgkinson took entire
care of her father, till his death from a cancer relieved his sufferings.
JAMES HOGAN, who departed this life at his home in Scott County in July, 1879, established one of its most valuable homesteads and became the owner of 240 acres of land, which he brought to a fine state of cultivation and upon which he effected modern improvements. His career was a fine illustration of the results of energy and perseverance, and he came to Illinois at a time when men possessing those qualifications were most needed. His widow, Mrs. Permelia Hogan, carried on this large farm for about two years after the death of her husband, then divided the property with her children and now has her homestead of eighty acres on section 14, where she is surrounded by all the comforts and conveniences of life.
Mr. Hogan was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, in 1803, and came to America when twenty years of age. He sojourned for a time in New York City, then came to Morgan County, this State, and purchased 100 acres of land, the nucleus of the present estate. He was one of the earliest pioneers of this section, coming at a time when wild game was plentiful and when sometimes as many as fifteen deer could be seen in one herd. He battled with the difficulties attendant upon life on the frontier, and for a series of years labored early and late in the building up of his homestead and the accumulation of a competence.
Mrs. Hogan was born in Christian County, Ky., Aug. 10, 1824, and is the daughter of Peter and Mary (Williams) Chrisman. Her paternal grandfather, George Chrisman, was a native of Christian County, Ky., and served in the War of 1812. He carried on blacksmithing and farming combined, and lived to be eighty-eight years old. The Chrisman family is of German descent and George Chrisman was one of the earliest settlers of Morgan County, this State.
The father of Mrs. Hogan, upon reaching manhood, engaged in farming and sawmilling. He also operated a gristmill and a distillery, and became well-to-do. He died at the early age of thirty-four years. The mother was born in Christian County, Ky., where she was married. Her father did good service in the Revolutionary War and was killed in the battle of New Orleans.
The mother of Mrs. Hogan, after the death of her husband, went to
Arizona and spent her last days with one of her daughters, passing away
in June, 1887, at the age of seventy-nine years; she was a member of the
Presbyterian Church. The parental household included five children, of
whom Permelia was the eldest. Catharine is a resident of Chicago, Elizabeth
lives in Salt Lake City, Henry is engaged in mining in Colorado, Barbara
is deceased. Miss Permelia came to Illinois with her parents and was reared
to womanhood in the vicinity of Lynnville, Morgan County. She was but nine
years old at the time of her father's death, and remained at home with
her mother until her marriage with Mr. Hogan, which occurred in 1842. Of
this union there were born ten children, the eldest of whom, a son, Thomas,
died when a promising young man of twenty-one years. Frank is a resident
of Springfield. During the late Civil War he enlisted in the 18th Illinois
Infantry, in 1861, and served until the close, receiving a wound which
crippled him for life. Elizabeth is the wife of Henry Bingham, a resident
of Springfield and employed as an engineer on the Wabash railroad. Catherine
is the wife of Thomas Sidles, who is a fireman on the Wabash railroad and
resides in Springfield. William is farming. John remains at home with his
mother. Peter was killed on the railroad. Della and Mary are both dead.
George is at home. Mr. Hogan, politically, was a Democrat, and belonged
to the Catholic Church. The residence of Mrs. Hogan is situated within
one mile of Chapin, and forms one of the most attractive spots in that
section of country, everything being kept up in good shape and denoting
cultivated tastes and ample means. She is a lady universally respected,
and has reared her children to become honest and praiseworthy citizens.
CHARLES L. HOLLIDAY, one of the oldest inhabitants of Morgan County, and who resides in Bethel Precinct, is a native of Allen County, Ky. The man whose industry, bravery, and integrity aids in the development of a new country is more deserving of praise than the greatest general who ever won a battle. The pioneer of a new country is building a fabric that will last until time shall be no more. He erects the foundation of a new order of things, and initiates new enterprises that shall benefit generations to come. The man (or woman) who leaves all comforts of home, who bids farewell to the early associations of life, and who turns his back upon all he holds dear in life, and goes forth into a new country, fraught with dangers from wild beasts and wilder savages, is entitled to more praise from mankind than an army of Napoleons.
Charles L. Holliday is a pioneer in every sense of the word, and was born, as before mentioned, on June 20, 1820. He was the son of Hiram and Agnes Holliday, both natives of the Old Dominion. When but a small boy, not then being eight years of age, he came with his parents to Illinois, and in 1831 the family removed to Morgan County. They were among the first settlers of Whitehall, Greene County. Mr. Holliday's father and Mr. Jarbo erected a small building about 16x24, with the intention of making a harness and saddle shop in one end and a store in the other. They whitewashed this building with lime, and from this incident the village of Whitehall derived its name. A petition was then circulated for the purpose of establishing a post-office in the town, and the father of Charles L. Holliday became the first Postmaster. From Whitehall the family removed to what is now called Murrayville, Morgan County, the former name of which was Elkhorn Point. They resided here for several years, and after the mother died the family became scattered, the most, however, remaining in Morgan County. Charles L. was a farmer's boy, and received but limited education, as the advantages to be secured in those days were extremely limited, but since he ceased attending school he has read books on different subject and thus has kept posted. Interspersed with work upon the farm, he learned the carpenter's trade, and by the time he became of age he was a first-class mechanic. He followed this business about thirty-five years, but latterly he has run his farm. When the Holliday family first settled where Murrayville now is, Charles L. mowed wild grass on the identical spot upon which the village is now located. He was married on Jan. 7, 1841, to Margaret Taylor, a native of Nicholas County, Ky., and daughter of James and Katie (Bishop) Taylor. To this union were born eleven children, the following of whom survive: Agnes, Mary S.; Sarah L., who married Pierce Lamb, of Missouri; Melissa, wife of James Anderson; James B., Charles R., William W.; Fannie, wife of Charles Williams; Ada F., wife of Clarke Funk; Maggie, wife of John Moody. Kate is deceased, dying at the age of fifteen years.
Mr. Holliday is the owner of 250 acres of as nice land as the sun ever shone upon. These broad acres, in connection with his wife, he has earned. In the winter of 1842-43, Mr. Holliday chopped wood for twenty-five cents a cord and split rails for thirty cents per 100, and was obliged to board himself. He sold the first crop of corn he raised in this county for eight cents a bushel, and wheat for thirty one cents a bushel, and delivered at Exeter Mills. He also sold port for $1.50 per 100 dressed.
Politically, Mr. H. is a Republican, but was formerly a Whig. He
has held the office of School Director and served with satisfaction to
his constituents. Mr. and Mrs. Holliday are members of the Christian Church,
and are active members of society.
GEORGE M. HOLLOWAY. This fine old gentleman of English descent and Kentucky birth, has nearly rounded up the seventy_sixth year of his age, and if what his neighbors say about him is to be relied upon, he has reason to look with satisfaction upon a life which has been filled in with good and pleasant deeds, and also with many years of industrious labor. He owns and occupies one of the pleasantest homes in township 14, range 13, Scott county, and besides possessing a competence has an admirable share of sound common sense and a genial temperament, which has all his life long been continually winning for him the friendship of those with whom he has been brought in contact.
Mr. Holloway was the youngest of the nine children, three sons and six daughters, born to his parents, and is the only survivor of the family. His native place was in Clark County, Ky., about eight miles from Winchester, and the date of his birth, June 14, 1813. He commenced going to school in the Blue Grass State, but in 1828 the family came to Illinois, settling in Morgan County, upon a tract of land from which they constructed a comfortable homestead, and where the parents of our subject spent their last years, after having each arrived to the advanced age of about eighty years. John and Millie (Burch) Holloway, the parents of our subject, were natives respectively of Virginia and Kentucky. The father served as a soldier in the War of 1812, but aside from this engaged in farming all his life. The first representatives of the family in this country came over from England and settled in Culpeper County, Va., during the colonial times. The brothers and sisters were all natives of Kentucky. The family became somewhat scattered, most of the children making their homes in Illinois.
The subject of this sketch was reared to manhood in this county,
receiving a limited education, but growing strong and healthy in body and
mind and well fitted for the future duties of life. When a little over
thirty years of age he was married Aug. 29, 1833, to Miss Mary New. Mrs.
Holloway was born in Ohio County, Ky., May 29, 1811, and came to Illinois
a few years after the arrival of her future husband. The newly wedded pair
established themselves in a modest dwelling on a farm in township 14, range
13, but after occupying that a few years sold out and purchased their present
farm. Upon this there had been effected only a few improvements, and Mr.
Holloway for many years thereafter labored early and late in the building
up of his home and the accumulation of something for his declining years.
The household circle was completed by the birth of nine children, _ Lucinda,
John C., Permelia, Mary, Martha, Samantha, Lucy, Wealthy J. and Melissa.
FRED C. HOMES. The Homes family have been represented in the United States for several generations and in Illinois for nearly fifty years. William Homes, the father of our subject, and a native of Boston, Mass., was a man of excellent education, and came to this State in his youth. He was graduated from the Illinois College, after which he identified himself with the ministry of the Presbyterian Church, and was pastor of a congregation at St. Louis, Mo., until about 1856. Then becoming interested in the legal profession he studied and practiced law at the same time, and finally drifted into the newspaper business, becoming connected with the editorial staff of the Missouri Republican, the leading Democratic paper of that State. Later he was employed as an Attorney for the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad for a number of years. In 1864 he went to California, on business, and was absent almost two years. Upon his return he again became connected with the Republican and died in its employ in 1869. In early life he was a Whig, but later joined the Democracy, and although not a politician, always maintained a warm interest in questions of national importance.
Mrs. Julia R. (Salter) Homes, the mother of our subject, was a native of New Haven, Conn., and the daughter of Cleveland J. Salter, who was the first child of that name in the United States, and whose parents were natives of England. She is still living and resides near Philadelphia, Pa. The parental household included seven children, namely - Fred C., William F., Henry B., Frank K., Julia R., Mary L., and John C. The paternal grandfather, Henry Homes, was a member of the well-known firm of Homes & Homes hardware merchants. The subject of this sketch was born in Springfield, Ill., May 18, 1844, while his mother was on a visit to that place. The family were then living in St. Louis, Mo., and there remained until the boy was eleven years old. In the meantime he had attended the common school, and after pursuing his studies a short season at Palmyra, Mo., repaired to Springfield, Ill., where he studied three years, and then went East, to Andover, Mass., and spent two years. Later he passed the same length of time on his grandfather's farm in Waverly, Ill. In the meantime the family made their home at St. Louis, although spending the summer months out of the city.
Upon attaining his majority our subject repaired to New Haven, Conn., where he attended school three years. In 1865 he joined the family at St. Louis, and engaged as clerk in a hardware store until 1869, when he came to this county and established himself in Waverly Precinct on a farm, that he now owns and occupies, but then the property of his uncle. In 1871 he took unto himself a wife and helpmate, Miss Myra A., daughter of Orlando and Martha (Pickett) Wadhams, and born near Waverly in Sangamon County. In due time his uncle, Charles L. Ives, presented Mr. Homes with the farm and in addition to agricultural pursuits he has carried on quite a flourishing lumber business in Waverly. His homestead lies just north of the corporate limits of the town and embraces 160 acres of land with excellent improvements. It is represented in this volume, and is a remarkably pleasant place, and the frequent resort of the best people of this part of the county.
The five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Homes were named, respectively:
Charles I., Susie W., Fred C., Jr., Myra W., and Mary L. Our subject, politically,
is a sound Republican and in religious matters is a Congregationalist.
HASSELL HOPPER. This gentleman, who is now pursuing the vocation of a farmer on section 30, township 16, range 9, Morgan County, is a veteran of the late war wherein he fought gallantly and faithfully for his adopted country. He is of English birth and parentage. His father, Thomas Hopper, was born in Yorkshire, England, and was the son of a farmer, a friend of the celebrated John Wesley, the Methodist divine, who preched many times in the home of his father when he (the father of our subject) was a boy, and his parents were strong defenders of the Wesleyan Methodist faith. His mother was a Miss Gorton previous to her marriage with his father. He was reared to man's estate in his old English home, and was married to Jane, daughter of Hassel and Ann Poad, natives of Yorkshire, and they in turn reared their family of children there. In 1856 they brought them to the United States in the sailing vessel Ellen Austin, making the voyage in five weeks and two days, landing in Castle Garden, N.Y., and coming from thence to Jacksonville, this county. They located there a few months, and then removed to this township, where the father spent his last days, dying in December, 1887, leaving a widow and nine children to mourn his loss, namely: Annie, who married George Edson, and died in this county; John, who died in 1887; Jane F., now Mrs. Robert Hunter; Hassell, Richard, George T., James P., Hannah, Thomas W., Charles, Philip H. The beloved mother, aged seventy-eight years, is a welcome inmate of our subject's household. She, like her husband, early became a member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, and she is a true and earnest Christian.
He of whom we write was in the prime of early life when he crossed the waters with his parents to build up a new home in the United States. In August, 1862 he determined to enlist to aid the brave soldiers of the Federal army to preserve the Union of the country that he had adopted as his own, and he enrolled his name as one of the members of Company E, 101st Illinois Infantry, and did efficient service until the close of the war. Among the principal battles in which he fought were those at Mission Ridge, Resaca, Dallas, Peachtree Creek, and the engagements around Atlanta, whence he accompanied Sherman on his march to the sea, and he was afterward present at the Grand Review at Washington, where he was mustered out of service with his regiment in June, 1865, having won an honorable record for bravery. He was wounded in the left knee by a shot at Resaca, which, though not serious at the time, became quite so as the result of his rashly going into service again too soon afterward without giving it time to heal. On his retirement from a military life, Mr. Hopper engaged with Lambert & Hopper in the market house at Jacksonville, remaining there twelve years. At the expiration of that time, he turned his attention to farming, and bought his present farm, which comprises 130 acres of land, all in a high state of cultivation, with good improvements, and from this he derives a very good income.
Our subject is undoubtedly much indebted to his wife for the comforts of a cozy home, as it was his good fortune to marry Miss Anna Wood in June, 1867. Her parents, James and Martha (Beach) Wood, were natives of England, and emigrating to the United States, they came here quite early in the settlement of the county, and their last days were passed here.
Mr. Hopper is a man whom to know is to respect, as he possesses the
qualities that make a desirable citizen. He is fairly prosperous in his
calling as he deserves to be, having been steadfast and unwearying in his
endeavors to build up a comfortable home for himself and family, and thrift
and industry have placed him far above the reach of want. In his political
views, he is a strong Republican taking an intelligent view of the different
questions of public import that are discussed on every hand. He is a man
of earnest religious feelings, and he and his family are members of the
Methodist church, and act in accordance with its teachings as far as in
FRANK A. HUBBERT. In the career of this worthy resident of Scott County, is illustrated that of the self-made man, who commenced life without other resources than those which lay within him, and by a course of industry and prudence has secured a goodly portion of the world's belongings, together with the confidence and esteem of his fellowmen. He owns and occupies one of the best_regulated farms of township 15, range 12, located on section 20. Here he has 115 acres of land with a good residence, a good barn and the other buildings necessary for his comfort and convenience. He ranks among the leading German citizens of his community, and is a man whose word is considered as good as his bond.
The early home of our subject was in what was then the kingdom of Westphalia, and he was born April 7, 1829, in the village of Holten. In common with the youth of his native country, he received a thorough practical education, and when leaving school at the age of fourteen years, began an apprenticeship at the blacksmith trade, and served three years. Later he worked as a journeyman, and in 1849 was drafted into the German army, and was employed largely around fortifications, and the building of bridges. When occasion required, he shouldered the weapons of war, and fought the Danes, engaging in several regular battles in Holstein, Jutland and other Provinces. After serving three years, he resumed blacksmithing in his native Province, where he lived until 1854. Then at the age of twenty_five years, not being satisfied with the outlook, he determined to emigrate to America. He secured passage on a sailing_vessel, the "New Orleans," at Bremen, and after a voyage of 115 days, during which they encountered severe storms, landed in New Orleans, and engaged two months at blacksmithing.
Our subject next made his way to this county, and in Jacksonville put up a shop which he conducted one year. He then removed to New Berlin, and next to Exeter, where he remained, however, only four months. We next find him at Murrayville, where he put up a shop and remained four years. His health now failing, he concluded to change his occupation and purchased seventy_five acres of land which is included in his present homestead. Later he added to it until he had 115 acres. The cultivation and improvement of this involved a great amount of labor, but he has now all but five acres in fertile condition. He built fences, put up a house and barn, and gradually added the other improvements naturally suggested to the enterprising and progressive farmer. His land is watered by Mauvaisterre Creek. In addition to general agriculture, he raises grain and stock, making a specialty of fine cattle and Poland_China swine. He employs two teams of horses on the farm, which is now the source of a comfortable income. The secret of his success has been good management at farm work, and following up the rule of living within his income.
Mr. Hubbert was married in Jacksonville, Jan. 8, 1860, to Miss Mary Stumborg, who was born in Hanover, Germany, and they are now the parents of six children, of whom, however, but three are living, Johanna, Clara, and Henry. The deceased are Mary, Louis, and Annie. Johanna is the wife of George H. Vannier, a farmer of Nebraska, near Milford, Seward County; the other two are at home with their parents. Mr. Hubbert, politically, is an uncompromising Democrat, and for years has been a School Director in his district, also Road Supervisor, and has served on the Grand Jury.
The father of our subject was Henry Hubbert, also a native of Westphalia
and a general merchant. He spent his entire life in his native land, and
died in 1853. He belonged to the Catholic Church. The mother's maiden name
was Anna Lewe, a native of the same Province as her husband, and who also
died there. They were the parents of eight children, viz.: Sophia, Eliza,
Clara, Anna; John (deceased), Bernard, Frank, our subject, and Henry.
JOHN A. HUGHES the oldest living settler of his part of the county, is a native of Fleming County, Kentucky. He was born April 17, 1803, and is the son of Allen B., and Elizabeth (Tilton) Hughes. His father was a native of Virginia, and his mother was also a native of that State. His paternal ancestors are said to have been English, while those of his mother were Welsh. The exact time of their emigration is not known, but it is supposed to have been at an early day, when they located in Clermont County, then called Brown County, Ohio. Here they resided for nine or ten years. In 1823, John Hughes with his parents came to White County, Ill., and there lived for three years, and in the fall of 1826 came to this county. When he landed at Jacksonville it had only four houses and these were built of logs. His father first rented a few acres, and then entered eighty acres of land in Indian Creek and settled on the raw prairie. Here he resided for a short time and died in this county in 1835.
Our subject, John A. Hughes, was reared mostly in Ohio, and engaged chiefly in farming and in the milling business. Like most self_made men his educational advantages were few, and even those were obtained under difficulties. He attended in Ohio the subscription school, which was held in a log cabin built in the usual primitive style with greased paper for windows and slabs for benches with legs put in to keep them up. Being naturally fond of reading he has aimed to keep well posted on the general topics of the day, so that he is in reality principally self_educated. He first leased land on section 16, and afterward entered 240 acres of land near the present site of Murrayville, and settled on the same, when the country was in a wild and primitive condition, just as the Indians had left it. He first built a double log cabin, each room being 16 feet square and this he first occupied in 1832. He resided there a number of years and improved it from time to time until he had a very desirable frame house. He had virtually no means when he started, having invested all he had in land. By untiring industry and careful management he made of his land a good farm.
Like all of the pioneers Mr. Hughes was subjected to many hardships. He has been an eye witness of the gradual growth of the country, from a wild state into what it is to_day, and he himself has nobly done his part. He was married Feb. 20, 1827, to Elizabeth Webb, who has borne him nine children: Sarah A., wife of William McDonald, a native of Scotland; Mary, wife of A. Gunn, of this county; Allen B., in this county; William, in Kansas City, Mo.; Emily, wife of James Dikis, in Murrayville, Ill.; Robert R., Komer, Pratt County, Kan.; John T. in Sangamon County, Ill.; Harriette E., wife of Stewart Murray, in Kansas; Oliver P., in Cass County, Ill.
Mr. Hughes at one time owned about 1,200 acres of land which he has
mostly divided among his children. He has been married three times. His
first wife died in 1860, and his second was Abigail Hickes, the third who
died in 1888 was the widow Entricen. Our subject is a thorough and self_made
man, and is numbered among old settlers of Morgan County. He is now reaping
the fruits of his early industry, enjoying life in his old age surrounded
by his children. In politics, he is a Democrat, and his two sons, Robert
and Oliver, served gallantly in the late war. He has always been at the
head of every movement to improve the county or elevate society. He is
a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he has been Steward
for about a quarter of a century, and his usual industry and energy have
characterized his dealings with the church as well.
JOSEPH HULETT. Among the prominent agriculturists of Morgan County who have in the last four decades, materially assisted in its advancement and prosperity, no one is more deserving of honorable mention in this BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM than he whose name we have with pleasure placed at the beginning of this brief sketch. He is a native of Kentucky, born near Winchester, Clark County, Sept. 1, 1823. His father, Joseph Hulett, Sr., was born near Fredericksburg, Va. When a child his parents removed to Clark County, Ky., where they remained a short time, and then settled in Madison County, where he, the father of our subject, spent the larger part of his youthful days and, when old enough to establish himself in business, began farming there. He subsequently removed to Fayette County, and was for a few years engaged in agricultural pursuits in Lexington, finally removing to Morgan County and settling near Jacksonville, where he died at the ripe old age of seventy-eight years. He was twice married. Miss Nellie Mansfield, a native of Green River County, Ky., becoming his first wife, and of their union eight sons and five daughters were born, all of whom grew to maturity. His second marriage was to Elizabeth Hukill, who born him five children, two sons and three daughters, and of the two marriages eleven children are still living. Mr. Hulett was a man highly respected in this community for his sterling integrity and honesty of purpose. In politics he was a stanch old-line Whig. He was a member of the Baptist Church for more than half a century, and both he and his wife were sincere workers in the cause of religion.
Our subject was among the younger members of the thirteen children born to his parents, and was reared on a farm, living with his father in Clark and Fayette counties till grown to manhood. He had the misfortune to lose his mother while a boy, and the family records having been destroyed by fire, his knowledge of his ancestral history is limited. Not being quite satisfied to settle down to farming, he learned the carpenter's trade, and for six years engaged in carpentering and contracting. Subsequently his early knowledge of cattle, learned while on the farm, became of practical use to him, and his excellent judgment concerning them easily secured for him a position as buyer of stock for prominent cattle dealers in the vicinity of Lexington, and he gave up his trade to become manager of the large stock farm of Benjamin Gratz, an extensive farmer of Lexington. He also had the supervision of the farm of Carter Harrison, Ex-Mayor of Chicago, the short time he was a resident of that place. The shrew business habits and undoubted ability of our subject in that line of business insured him an excellent salary, and, as he was as economical as he was industrious, in the few years he was thus employed he laid the foundation of his present fortune. In 1850 Mr. Hulett determined to permanently establish himself in life, and, knowing Illinois to be one of the finest agricultural States in the Union, came to Morgan County March 3, that year, and rented a farm north of Jacksonville, on which he lived for awhile, then removed to this neighborhood and rented a farm of Joseph Morton, which he managed successfully three years. In 1853 he bought 160 acres of his present homestead, lying on sections 25 and 26, township 15, range 10 west, paying $30 an acre for it, although there were plenty of farms in the vicinity that could have been bought for two-thirds that sum, but they were lacking in many of the essentials that he considered necessary on a good farm. Mr. Hulett afterward bought adjacent land, paying $60 an acre for some and $80 an acre for other tracts, till now he has a valuable farm of 250 acres under excellent cultivation. There were very comfortable buildings on the place when our subject moved on to it in 1854, and he and his family occupied the house until 1872, when he built his present fine brick residence. It is of modern architecture, neatly and artistically furnished and decorated, the interior and exterior alike showing marked evidence of the taste, cultivation and refinement of the occupants. The property of our subject is a testimony to the ability, good judgment and superior management which he has used in improving it from year to year, and is now one of the model farms of the county, and an ornament to his township. Mr. Hulett has been extensively engaged in farming and stock-raising, but he now rents the larger part of his farm, keeping his beautiful house as a residence, and is practically retired from active life, having been a sufferer the past seven years from angina pectoris (ueralgia of the heart).
As a man of strict honesty, fair and square in all business transactions, our subject is universally esteemed throughout the community, and merits the high respect in which he is held. In local affairs he has always been prominent, and has faithfully served the township in the various responsible offices, having been Township Treasurer, School Director, etc., for many years. Religiously, he is a consistent member of the Christian Church.
An important step in the life of Mr. Hulett, and one to which he owes in a measure the grand success that he has met with in life, was his marriage with Miss Elizabeth V. Simpson, which was celebrated Aug. 9, 1849. She was born in Woodford County, Ky., being a daughter of Johnson and Elizabeth (Powers) Simpson. Her father, who was a carpenter and contractor, spent his entire life in Woodford County, where his widow is still living.
To our subject and his wife have been born ten children, all of whom, excepting William J., who died when thirteen months and thirteen days old, are still living, the following being their record: Ella married J. V. Stout, the proprietor of a book and stationery store in Jacksonville, and they have two children, Harry and Corinne; Elizabeth J,; Josephine; Granville, who married Miss Jessie Freeman, and is now in business in Kansas City, attended college in Jacksonville six years and Rush Medical College three years, and subsequently practiced medicine in Kansas City two years; Fannie; Belle married Samuel Scott a dry-goods merchant of Kansas City, and they have one child, Fannie Marie; Lorena married Eugene Pyatt, clerk in a Jacksonville bookstore; Jennie S. married Thomas Montgomery, a general merchant at Hersman Station, Brown Co., Ill.; Marcus has just finished his education, and has joined the Doctor in business in Kansas City.
Mr. Hulett, whose educational advantages were limited, has very generously
given his children every possible opportunity for acquiring knowledge,
not only in the common branches of study, but especially in music, arts
and sciences. His daughters have taken a college course as well as his
sons, having attended the college at Jacksonville, Fannie completing her
education at Valparaiso. The beautiful works of art that adorn the walls
of the house testify to the natural talent and ability of Misses Fannie
and Lizzie, who are accomplished artists, handling brush or pencil with
equal facility, as evidenced by their works in pen-drawing and crayon,
their specialty being portraits. Mrs. Hulett and two of her daughters are
esteemed members of the Presbyterian Church, while the remaining members
of the family belong to the Christian Church.
GEORGE E. HUSBAND, who has attained distinction as a successful farmer of Scott County, is a native of Illinois, and was born June 12, 1846. A complete record of his ancestry appears in another part of this volume, in the biography of Charles J. Husband.
George E. Husband was reared on a farm, and received his schooling at the public and subscription schools, where he acquired a substantial education, which has been supplemented in later years by copious reading a current literature. He remained at home, working on the old homestead until his father's death, and in 1870 he began to operate his share of the property, which at that time was destitute of substantial improvements. He immediately erected a house 38 x 50, one well adapted for a farmer's home, and which is surrounded by a well kept yard; in fact everything connected with his home denotes intelligence and industry. Mr. Husband's farm presents a pleasant landscape, orchards and groves being noticeable, thus breaking the monotony that is usually inseparable from a prairie farm. He has continued improving his homestead, until he can now point with justifiable pride, to a magnificent farm of 400 acres, and which is one of the best in Scott County, conveniently located, being only four miles from Bluffs, which is a good market town. The place is also well watered with living springs, an adjunct which adds value to the farm. He has now 335 acres under plow, the most of which he leases to tenants. He feeds a great deal of stock, and ships many cattle and hogs.
Mr. Husband was married in Pike County, this State, Oct. 29, 1872, to Miss Nancy E. Dimmitt, daughter of Thomas Dimmitt. Her father was a native of Ohio, and was born in 1822, of Welsh ancestry. He came to Illinois when quite young, and when he became twenty_one years of age he commenced farming for himself, which he continued until he sold out and removed to Kansas in 1875. He remained in that state for three years, when he returned to Illinois, and now lives in Griggsville. His wife's maiden name was Hannah Wade. She was born in England in 1823, and came to America when she was ten years old, settling in Pike County with her parents. She died in 1872. For many years she was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died in that faith. Following are the names of her ten children: Frank W., John S., Charles, James W., Nancy Ellen, Elizabeth, Mary A., Grace, Victoria and Clarissa. Mrs. Husband's grandfather, John Dimmitt, was a native of Ohio, and in 1830 came to this state and located in Pike County, where he engaged in farming on an extensive scale, and in his time was a prominent citizen.
George E. Husband is the father of four children. Fannie and Geo. I. are living, while Ashley D. and Arthur O. are dead. He is the President of the School Board, an office which he has satisfactorily filled for six years. Politically he is a prominent Republican, and as evidence that he wields great influence in Republican councils, it may be stated that he is a member of the County Central Committee, and has represented his party in county and state conventions many times. As a farmer, he has been eminently successful, and the fact of his being a well preserved man, strong and robust, is evidence that in his younger days he adhered to the commendable plan of taking care of himself, and that he has been temperate in all things. He possesses the happy combination _ and which is a rare one _ of being a sound, shrewd business man and a highly successful farmer.
Mr. Husband has numerous traits of character that make him very popular,
and which call forth many good words for him from his neighbors and from
those with whom he holds business relations. He is charitable, and possesses
those special characteristics that go to make up an intelligent and valuable
citizen. His dealings with his fellow man have always been such as to merit
confidence, and upon this record is based his well deserved prosperity.
There is room in this great big world for more men like George E. Husband.
CHARLES J. HUSBAND. One seldom meets with a man who leaves a more lasting impression than the subject of this sketch. He has the highest qualities of the true gentleman; is genial and companionable, and possesses a fund of general information by which he is enabled to lead in profitable and entertaining conversation. He has been abundantly blessed with his world's goods, and makes his home in one of the finest residences in Scott County, which, with its surroundings, very nearly approaches the popular idea of paradise. Not the least among his blessings is the companionship of an amiable and intelligent wife _ a refined and cultivated lady, with tastes similar to his own. Their home indicates, on all sides, the existence of cultured tastes and ample means, and is a most pleasant resort for the many friends whom they have made since commencing their wedded life in Scott County. Mr. Husband owns and operates 203 acres of prime land on section 32, in Oxville Precinct, township 15, range 13. He was born in this precinct, Aug. 14, 1843, and received a good education in the common schools. While a boy he learned the trade of a carpenter, and has since been more or less engaged in the handling of tools, although he makes farming his principal business. He purchased his land in 1871, and has effected all the improvements which we see to_day. The residence is a substantial brick structure, forty_four feet square, the woodwork of which was done mostly by Mr. Husband. The land is watered by Mauvaisterre Creek, and with its well_kept fences, groves and orchards, presents a picture delightful to contemplate. In addition to the raising of wheat and corn, our subject keeps a goodly assortment of live_stock_horses, cattle and swine _ and avails himself of the most modern and improved machinery in the tilling of the soil.
In Scioto County, Ohio, Oct. 9, 1871, occurred the marriage of our subject with Miss Eliza Johnson, the daughter of J. O. and Phebe (Jeffords) Johnson, a well_to_do farmer of that county. Mr. Johnson was a native of Scioto County, while his estimable wife was born in Warren County, Ohio, and was the daughter of Henry Jeffords, also of that State. The father of Mrs. Husband spent his last years in Ohio, and died in August, 1883, aged seventy_five years, five months and five days. The mother survived her husband a little less than two years, her death taking place in November, 1885, when she was sixty_eight years old. They were the parents of eleven children (nine of whom lived to years of maturity), viz: Sarah J. (now deceased), Mary A., Isaac, Rebecca, Eliza, Henry J. (deceased), Caroline, Emily F., Milton (deceased), Okaey and W. Gordon.
Mrs. Husband was born in Lucasville, Scioto Co., Ohio, in March 1844. Of her union with our subject there are two children, sons _ Orrin G. and Orville G., both of whom remain at home with their parents. Mr. Husband, politically, is a decided Republican, and has served on the Grand and Petit juries. A man quiet and unassuming in demeanor, he has, notwithstanding, exercised a sensible influence in his community _ an influence which has been uniformly good.
The father of our subject was Judge Robert Husband, a native of Yorkshire,
England. In early manhood he followed the trade of a carpenter, and finally
became a builder and contractor in York and Sheffield. He came to America
in 1842, and making his way directly to Scott County, purchased land in
Oxville Precinct, where he carried on farming and carpentering combined,
and was prospered. Later he engaged as a live_stock dealer, buying and
feeding extensively, and at the time of his death was the owner of 480
acres of land. His decease occurred in 1870, at the age of fifty_six years.
After becoming a voting citizen, he identified himself with the Democratic
party, but later wheeled over into the ranks of the Republicans, with whom
he remained until his death. He wielded considerable influence in the politics
of his party, and after occupying other positions of trust and responsibility,
was made Associate Judge of the County Court, which office he held during
the war. The mother, Mrs. Fanny (Copley) Husband, was also a native of
Yorkshire, England; she was born in 1818, came to America with her husband,
and died in Oxville Precinct in 1862. Their five children were named respectively,
with the exception of one who died in infancy: Charles J., George E., Mary
(deceased), and Ellen E., who lives in Oxville Precinct.
WILLIAM A. HUTCHISON, who is prominent among the business interests of Waverly, is, with his partners, Messrs. Flemming & Sons, conducting a prosperous trade in hardware and drugs, and has been established here since 1859. His family is numbered among the pioneers of 1830, at which time James Hutchison, the father, with his wife and one child, William A., settled on a tract of land near Waverly, when there was very little indication of a town.
The ancestors of our subject went by the name of Hudson, and were first represented in this country by five brothers, who emigrated from England and settled in Virginia and adjoining States. One of their descendants, Joseph Hudson, the grandfather of our subject, was born near Richmond, Va., but at an early day removed to Kentucky, and laid out the town of Hudsonville, in Breckenridge County. It is not known positively just how the name came to be changed, but was evidently done after the birth of grandfather Hudson, who in time answered to the name of Hutchison, to which his descendants afterward clung. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and died at the advanced age of one hundred and two years.
John Hutchison, a son of the above, and the grandfather of our subject, was born in Breckenridge County, Ky., where he followed farming, and married Miss Susan Heinemann, of Germany ancestry. They lived in Kentucky until 1830, then accompanied their son James, the father of our subject, to Illinois, and settled in this county. The grandfather after a time started to visit his old home in the Blue Grass State, and died on the way there, in Jasper County, Ill., at the age of about seventy years. His wife died in Waverly, this county, when sixty years old. They were the parents of five children.
James Hutchison was born in Breckenridge County, Ky., in 1808, and was married, in Indiana, to Miss Elethia Campbell. This lady was born in North Carolina, and in 1830 they came to Illinois, and settled upon a claim of Government land near Waverly. This the father afterward sold, and entered eighty acres near by, which he improved and lived upon a number of years. About 1837 he moved into the village, and built a carding mill and grist mill. He possessed considerable mechanical genius, had learned the tailor's trade, and was also a millwright. He operated these mills until 1851, in which year the cholera epidemic visited this region, and he fell a victim to the terrible disease.
The father of our subject was an earnest Christian man, and for many years officiated as a local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was kind and benevolent, both in his public and private life, gave liberally to those in need, and was successful in business, accumulating a comfortable property. His first wife, the mother of our subject, died about 1840, leaving seven children, five of whom lived to mature years, and of whom William A., our subject, was the eldest. His brother John is a resident of Waverly; Joseph makes his home in Augusta, Ark.; Margaret became the wife of Dr. McVey, and died in Macoupin County, this State; Mary is the wife of C.F. Meacham, of Waverly.
The second wife of James Hutchison was Miss Margaret Westfall, and they became the parents of three children: David, a resident of Jacksonville; Samuel and Melinda, of Waverly. William A., our subject, was born in Little Orleans, Southern Indiana, on the White River, Aug. 2, 1828, and was two years old when the family came to this county. Here he has since lived, and has thus witnessed the changes which have passed over the face of the country, and the transformation of the raw prairie to cultivated farms and prosperous villages. He was taught to make himself useful at an early age, and assisted his father in the mills until leaving home to become a clerk in Waverly, where he remained two years. At the expiration of this time he associated himself in partnership with William Rhodes, and under the firm name of Rhodes & Hutchison they carried on a general store until the death of the father. The firm then disposed of their stock of merchandise, and confined their attention to the mills. One of these was destroyed by fire, but was rebuilt, and eighteen months later the other was burned, causing additional heavy loss, and leaving Mr. Hutchison without property and in debt.
Making the best of circumstances Mr. Hutchison, now without capital, resumed the occupation of a clerk, and in due time rebuilt his mill, operated it for a time, then sold out, and purchased an interest in the store where he had been clerking. With this he has since been connected. Prosperity has attended him during these later years, and he is now in the enjoyment of a lucrative patronage. He is at present associated with Messrs. Robert Fleming &Sons, the firm name being Hutchison, Fleming & Sons.
Mr. Hutchison was married, in 1852, to Miss Julia Church, who was
born in Greene County, this State, and is the daughter of Levi and Esther
(Kellogg) Church. This union resulted in the birth of four children, one
of whom died in infancy, and one at the age of thirteen years. The survivors
are Edwin and Hattie. Mr. Hutchison, politically, gives his uniform support
to the Republican party, and with the exception of serving as City Treasurer
has had but very little to do with public affairs. In religious matters
he belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he gives a liberal
support, and is considered one of its chief pillars. Socially, he is identified
with the Masonic fraternity and the I.O.O.F. He is regarded as a man of
the strictest integrity, and his credit is always A 1. At one time he dealt
considerably in grain, and was associated with other leading citizens in
the building of the elevator at Waverly.
County main page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their