PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
JOSEPH V. BRECKON. This young and enterprising farmer owns and occupies a farm of 1818 acres - his father's old homestead - which is finely located in township 15, range 9, section 5. He purchased the interest of the other heirs to the property, and is carrying on the improvements commenced by his honored sire during the early settlement of this county. The land is under fine state of cultivation, with good improvements. It is devoted principally to general agriculture, but Mr. B. is also considerably interested in blooded stock, having a goodly number of Short-horn cattle together with horses and swine.
Our subject was born Aug. 26, 1864, and acquired his education in the district school. His life passed quietly and uneventfully during his boyhood and youth, and he learned farming in all its details from his father, who was a man of great enterprise and energy, and who conducted his labor in a first-class manner. The father, the Rev. Vickerman Breckon, was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1828, and lived there until 1843, when he emigrated to America with his parents, William Breckon and wife. They came directly to Illinois and located on a tract of land in Morgan County. Vickerman, when a youth of seventeen years commenced the battle of life for himself with a capital of twenty-five cents, and one old horse worth about $35. He secured a tract of land and in due time his industry and perseverance were rewarded in the establishment of a good homestead. He was married Jan. 17, 1855, to Mrs. Elizabeth (Wilson) Stimpson, a native of his own country, and they became the parents of three children, - Joseph V., our subject, Sarah M. and James W. The daughter became the wife of Charles Hopper, of English birth, and a boot and shoe dealer in Jacksonville. They have six children - Thomas V., Effie, Fletcher, Lena, Clara Belle, and Freddie. James W. married Miss Emma L. Trotter, and is farming in this county.
The parents of our subject in about 1889, took up their residence in Jacksonville. They have been residents of this county for a period of forty-six years, and the father a goodly portion of this time has officiated as a local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Joseph V., our subject, was married in Morgan County, this State, March 14, 1888, to Miss Effie L. Padget, who was born in Macoupin County, Ill., Nov. 1, 1864. She is the daughter of Joseph and Amanda Padget, the latter of whom died when Effie was but two years old. The father is still living in Macoupin County, where he is carrying on farming. Her only brother, Charles E., is a resident of Pendleton County, Mo.
Mr. and Mrs. Breckon are the parents of one child, a son, Paul, who
was born Jan. 28, 1889. They are both members in good standing of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, and Mr. B. has been Librarian for three years. Politically,
he is a strong prohibitionist and a zealous worker in the cause of temperance.
The young couple are very pleasantly situated, and an engraving of their
home appears in this volume. They have plenty of this world's goods and
are surrounded by hosts of friends.
SAMUEL N. BRIDGEMAN. This young man is starting out in life for himself, is comfortably established on a 40-acre farm in township 15, range 11, section 2, and also operates other land. The first mentioned has been brought to a good state of cultivation and provided with very good buildings. Mr. Bridgeman has spent his entire life in this county, of which he is a native, having been born in Concord Precinct, May 7, 1856. He is perfectly familiar with agricultural pursuits, having been bred to farm life from his boyhood, and there is no reason to doubt that his future will be prosperous in a community where he is held in much respect.
James Bridgeman, the father of our subject, was a native of Virginia, whence he emigrated to this county late in the fifties. He was a farmer by trade, and after coming to Illinois followed this for a time, then purchased sixty acres in Arcadia Precinct, where he lived until the outbreak of the Civil War. Under one of the special calls for troops by President Lincoln, he enlisted as a Union soldier in the 101st Illinois Infantry under command of col. Fox, and which was assigned to the Army of the Tennessee. He participated in all the battles of his regiment until near the close of the war when he was taken ill and died in 1864, at Holly Springs. He was stricken down in the prime of life, being less than forty years of age. The wife and mother is still living, making her home in Concord Precinct, and is now fifty-six years old. Her maiden name was Virginia Henderson. She was born in Arcadia Precinct, and was the daughter of Aaron Henderson, a native of Virginia, and who was one of the earliest settlers of this county, where he spent his last days. He came to Illinois with his family during the winter of the deep snow, which covered the fences and upon the surface of which there was formed so strong a crust that the people could ride over it with safety. Mr. Henderson died about 1849. His wife, Mrs. Sally (Boles) Henderson, is still living in Arcadia Precinct and is now eighty-five years old. The Hendersons were of Scotch Presbyterian stock.
Mr. and Mrs. Bridgeman, became the parents of three children, viz:
Samuel N., our subject; Lucinda, the wife of William Ader, who lives on
a farm in Arcadia Precinct; and James, who married Miss Anna Gilmore, and
is also a resident of that precinct. Samuel N. remained with his mother
at the homestead until his marriage to Miss M. Rachel Erickson. This lady
was born June, 1858, in Indiana, and came to Illinois with her parents
in the fall of 1890. The latter were James B. and Nancy E. (Patten) Erickson,
and they settled in Arcadia Precinct. They are still there. Mrs. Bridgeman
remained under the home roof until her marriage. She is now the mother
of two children - James E. and Minerva P. Mr. Bridgeman, politically, supports
the principles of the Democratic party, and both he and his wife are members
in good standing of the Methodist Church.
W. H. BROADWELL. Upon South Lane street, in Jacksonville stands the agricultural implement establishment of the gentleman whose life is here briefly sketched. He was a native of Morgan County, Ill., and was born on the 14th of September, 1823. He was the son of Baxter and Mary (Lindsley) Broadwell, both of whom are natives of Morris County, N.J. The earliest associations and memories of the father of our subject, are connected with the farm upon which he was brought up. He was educated in the usual institutions of his native place, and after that taught school for a number of terms, and discovered such an aptitude and ability for this employment as to occasion some thought of continuing permanently therein. About the year 1810 he removed to the neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio; thence he went to the front in the War of 1812, serving through the whole period, and was finally mustered out at Cincinnati. During the greater part of the time he lived in Ohio, he continued teaching school, remaining until the year 1818. Then he came to this State and settled at Grafton, which is situated at the mouth of the Illinois River. After about three years he came to this county, but prior to its organization, in which he afterward took part. He took up a farm of 100 acres, and continued to operate it so successfully, that it grew to some 600 acres in extent, and he became one of the most extensive farmers in the county. He erected a single cabin, adding to it from time to time as he was able. His market place was St. Louis, ninety miles distant. He was a firm adherent of the Whig party, and passed his last vote for Henry Clay. His death occurred in December of 1832.
The family of which our subject was a member, included seven children, the first birth being that of three boys, who were named George W., Thomas J., and James M. All attained to manhood although James M., who resides at Burlington, Iowa, is the only one now living. The other members of the family are: William H., Norman M., Louisa, Jane S.
The grandfather of our subject was born in New Jersey, and as a young man entered heartily into the War of Independence in 1776. The maternal grandfather of our subject was Joseph Lindsley, a native of the same State. He also served in the Revolution, and was commissioned Major. He served throughout the seven years, and was frequently by the side of Washington in the various engagements. By trade he was a carpenter and millwright, and was possessed of no little skill as a workman. The family upon both sides is of English extraction. Until the year 1836, our subject lived upon the home farm. At that time he was bound out an apprentice to learn the trade of blacksmithing for a period of seven and one-half years. He learned this trade in Jacksonville, and continued working as a journeyman for some six months after he had attained his release. At that time he engaged in business for himself, and continued thus employed some twenty years. He had a large workshop, and ran four forges continually, which speaks quite clearly regarding the amount of work that was brought to him. Prior to leaving his business he had engaged considerably in the agricultural implement trade, and this he continued after having relinquished his forges. He purchased his present business in 1845, and had perhaps, the largest business in his line in the city. He was the owner of three different stores, which he had built himself, sparing no pains to make them in every way suitable for commercial purposes.
Mr. Broadwell had been prominently identified with the movements that have resulted in bringing the various railroads to the city, and was connected with them. He also took much interest in any enterprise that promised to aid the city, and advance it to a high standing amid the other centres of commerce and influence in the State, and had been actively engaged in connection therewith.
The marriage of our subject dates from the year 1846. The lady of his choice was Mary A. Cochrane, a native of England. Their family circle includes nine children, whose names are recorded as follows: Charles E., now a resident of Kansas City; William B. who after his settlement in California, married Miss Messerole of that State; Norman; Mary L., now Mrs. W. B. Shaw, living at Fowler, the county-seat of Meade County, Kan.; Alice M., who is the Principal of Los Angeles College, Cal.; Annie E., formerly a teacher in the State Normal School of Winona, Minn., now Mrs. C. P. Davidson, of Scranton, Pa.; Harry L., who is living in New Mexico; Harriet, and Mabel R.
The residence of our subject, which is situated on West College Avenue,
is such an one as his position in the city would lead us to expect, evincing
the refinement and culture of his wife and family. He was a member of the
Masonic fraternity, and as such was much esteemed. In matters political,
he was a strong Republican, and had the honor of being the first of that
party ever elected to the office of Sheriff of this county. This position
he held for one term, and performed his duties in a most satisfactory and
exemplary manner. Before the organization of the city, he also held the
position of Township Trustee. He always held a high place in the regards
of his fellow-citizens, and was a much valued member of the community.
His death occurred Nov. 26, 1888.
JOHN W. BROCKHOUSE, one of the present County Commissioners of Morgan County, was born March 28, 1851, in this County. He is one of the young men who has inherited to a large extent the virtues of his parents, and who exhibits in his life, the fact that "blood will tell." He is a son of Herman G. and Mary E. Brockhouse, both of whom were natives of Hanover, Germany. They came to Morgan County some forty-five years ago, and settled on section 25, township 16, range 12. Coming to this country when land was cheap, and when they could have their choice, they were exceedingly fortunate, but notwithstanding all this they were obliged to suffer privations and to do many things to get along in this world that would discourage the generation that came after them. The elder Brockhouse resided upon the farm that he first located, up to the time of his death. Politically, he was a Democrat, and had great influence in his neighborhood. As sufficient evidence that he was more than an ordinary man, it would only be necessary to state that when he landed in this county he had just $35 and when his labors ended, an inventory of his estate developed the fact that he had left to his heirs a property worth $40,000. When he first came here he erected a log-cabin in which he lived for several years, but later he built a better home and erected barns sufficient to carry on a large farm. His wife died several years before he did. They were parents of nine children, six of whom are living: Herman, who is a resident of Scott County; Annie, wife of John Schumaker, of this county; John W.; Maggie wife of William Nergenah; they reside in Concord Precinct; Carrie, wife of Gottlieb Schumaker, of this county; Eliza, wife of Emil Schultz, of Christian County, Ill.
John W. Brockhouse was reared to manhood in a comparatively new country, and has seen Morgan County take long strides in its march to prosperity. He received his education in the subscription schools of the early days in Illinois. For the information of the generation now living, it may be said that in the pioneer days, and before the present excellent common-school system came into practice, the settlers would pay the teacher a stated amount for each scholar, and the school house was generally built of logs, all combining in the expense of its erection. The teacher generally "boarded 'round." This system led to many complications which have been eradicated by the present excellent methods, and an education secured in the old way, was generally gained under manifold difficulties. Our present school system is without a doubt as near perfection as it can be made, and the child who grows to manhood now without securing knowledge, is himself to blame. The parents of today are better able financially, to give their children proper learning than the pioneers of fifty years ago were. The subject of this sketch, therefore, is principally self-educated. By constant and intelligent reading he has become what would be called, a fairly well-posted man. He was married Oct. 20, 1874, to Miss Caroline N. Weiser, a native of Cass County, Ill. Her parents were Nicholas and Hilkie Weiser. By this union there were four children, three of whom are living - Laura, Alfred and Edward. Frances is deceased.
Mr. Brockhouse is the owner of 280 acres of well-improved land. The
buildings thereon are of the best and in full keeping with this magnificent
place. And the owner is considered to be among the best farmers in Concord
Precinct. He settled on this farm shortly after his marriage, and has continued
to reside here since. Politically he is a Democrat. In the fall of 1886
he was elected a Commissioner of Morgan County for a term of three years.
He has filled this office with fidelity and is reckoned as one of the hard-working
intelligent men of the Board. He belongs to the Lutheran Church.
JOHN H. BROCKHOUSE. The substantial German element of this county, as wherever it becomes part of a community, has been largely instrumental in its growth and development, and represents some of the best qualities to be found among the early pioneers. The subject of this notice is fully entitled to be mentioned among this latter class, as he has been a resident of this county for over a quarter of a century. To what purpose he has labored is amply illustrated in his valuable homestead, comprising 350 acres of land, which he has brought to a good state of cultivation, and upon which he has erected a handsome modern residence, with other buildings to correspond. He labored early and late during his younger years in the accumulation of his property, and is now enjoying the reward of his toil.
A true son of the Fatherland, our subject was born in what was then the county of Firstenan-Bippen, in the Province of Osnaburg, Kingdom of Hanover, June 19, 1828. His parents, John G. and Ellen (Fontalgea) Brockhouse, were of pure German stock, and in 1843, when John H. was a youth of fifteen years, they emigrated to America, making the voyage on a sailing-vessel, embarking from the city of Bremen, and landing in New Orleans between three and four months later. Thence they came up the Mississippi directly to this county, and located on a tract of land in Bethel Precinct, where they spent the remainder of their lives engaged in farming pursuits.
There were nine children born to the parents of Mr. Brockhouse, only two of whom survive him, himself and his brother Henry, the latter a resident of Bethel. Our subject attended school several years in his native Province, and since coming to America Has, by reading and observation, kept himself well informed in regard to current events. He has a fair knowledge of English, and is numbered among the intelligent men of his community. Shortly before reaching his majority he was married, April 9, 1849, to Miss Mary A. Taylor. She is the daughter of Jonathan and Nellie (Parsons) Taylor.
Ten children came to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Brockhouse, eight of whom are living, viz: William C., John H., Jr., Charles, Harriet, the wife of Jacob Vallery, of this county; Milton, Jane, Martha, and James F. George W. and Emma died at the ages of twenty-three and twenty-nine respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Brockhouse took possession of the farm which they now occupy in 1851, first purchasing eighty acres, and gradually adding to their possessions as their means justified. The land was mostly in its primitive condition, and in its transformation to its present state there has been involved a large amount of labor, and a considerable outlay of money. Diligence and economy have borne their legitimate fruits, and in the life of Mr. Brockhouse has been finely illustrated that of the self-made man, who has been courageous amid its drawbacks and difficulties, and permitted no small circumstance to discourage him.
In political matters our subject supports the principles of the Democratic
party. He mixes very little in public affairs although he is at present
serving as School Director, and upon several occasions has officiated as
Judge of Elections. In religious views he coincides with the doctrines
of the Lutheran church.
BRONSON, THOMAS J., a highly respected resident of Jacksonville, and one of its enterprising and prosperous citizens is a native of Avon, N.Y., where his birth took place in 1842. To his parents, Samuel C. and Lucretia (Rogers) Bronson, there were born twelve children, of whom only four survive.
Samuel C. Bronson was a native of Connecticut and born in February 1800. In his youth he learned the trade of a tanner, also that of a boot and shoemaker. These he followed a number of years, but finally became interested in farming and, abandoning the bench, occupied himself in agricultural pursuits until his death, which occurred in June 6, 1881. He was a good man in the broadest sense of the word, a Jacksonian Democrat, a member of the Presbyterian Church and a prominent brother in the Masonic fraternity. To the principles of Masonry he was warmly attached and defended them with all the strength and courage of his character.
The subject of this sketch left the parental roof on the 24th of March, 1862, when a young man of twenty years, and entered the employ of the Toledo & Wabash Railroad. Six months later he changed his residence to Springfield and for a period of four years was in one of the offices of the Great Western. Thence he went to Omaha, Neb., and entered the service of the Union Pacific Company with whom he remained until 1866. We next find him in Jacksonville, Morgan County, as an employee of the St. Louis, Jacksonville & Chicago Railroad Company, with which he remained two years.
Upon leaving the railroad Mr. Bronson became the employee of W. F. Huntley & Co., engaged in the saddlery, hardware and harness business and with them he remained five or six years. He then commenced business for himself at his present location. He carries a full and fine stock of everything in his line and enjoys an extensive and constantly increasing patronage.
One of the most important events in the life of our subject was his marriage with Miss Mary Gilbert Snyder, which took place at the home of the bride Oct. 19, 1870. Mrs. Bronson was born in jacksonville, Feb. 25, 1842 to gilbert and Eliza Snyder, and was the youngest of their four children. Her sister Sarah, died when about two years old; Wesley S. is associated with Thomas J. Bronson, our subject, in the harness and saddlery trade. He married Miss Sally Saunders, of Jacksonville, and is the father of five children.
John M. Snyder was graduated from a business college at Chicago and was engaged in the grocery trade at Jacksonville until the outbreak of the late Civil War. He then enlisted in the 101st Illinois Infantry, was promoted to Quartermaster, but later resigned his commission and returned to Jacksonville; assisted in organizing the 6th Illinois Cavalry and was promoted to Quartermaster also in that regiment. He continued thereafter in the service until 1863. Then again resigning his commission he returned to Illinois and became the private Secretary of Governor Richard Yates at Springfield. He now holds the position of Collector of toll at the Copperas Creek Locks. He participated in many active engagements while in the army and acquitted himself in a most creditable manner in connection with his responsible duties. After becoming a resident of Springfield he was married to Miss Maggie Walker, of Ohio, July 20, 1864. This lady was employed as a teacher in the Springfield public schools and has a fine education. Of this union there have been born three sons, Frederick H., Willie P., and Ralph M.
Mrs. Bronson entered the primary department of the Illinois Female College, and was graduated from that institution in the class of 1860. Of her union with our subject there are three children - Anna M., born March 21, 1872; Eliza Lucretia, Feb. 9, 1874, and Kittie, Oct. 31, 1879. They are a bright and interesting trio and continue with their parents in their pleasant home at No. 420 East State Street.
Mrs. Eliza Snyder, the mother of Mrs. Bronson, was born in Ireland,
nov. 1, 1816, and was one of a family of four children, the offspring of
Wesley and Eliza Drennon. The brothers and sisters, John, Mary Ann, and
Wesley emigrated to America and settled in Lexington, Ky., whence they
removed to Illinois. Eliza became the wife of Gilbert Snyder on the 13th
of March, 1834, and this family in due time embraced four children. Mr.
Snyder was a millwright by trade and assisted in placing the machinery
of the first mill in Morgan County. His death took place Oct. 14, 1841.
He was a member of the old Whig party, politically, and in religious matters
identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church. His native place was Rochester,
WILLIAM WOODFORD BROWN, late cashier of the Waverly Bank, and widely and favorably known to the people of this county, met his death in a very unexpected manner at the Pacific Hotel in Jacksonville, on the 14th of May, 1889, by an overdose of morphine taken by mistake for quinine. He was a man generally respected in his community, where both his business and social relations had been of the pleasantest character, and his sudden taking off was not only a source of deep grief to his family and friends, but was generally regretted by the community. The main points of the testimony taken before the Coroner's Jury, conclusively proved that the drug was taken entirely by mistake, and whatever fault there was connected with the matter, lay with the person who prepared the capsules, and which were given to Mr. Brown as quinine. This he had been in the habit of taking quite freely, and it was known that he was strongly opposed to the use of morphine in any shape. A post mortem examination showed him to be singularly free from disease, and he was thus cut down in his prime, when but for this sad accident, it would naturally appear that he might have been granted years of life and happiness.
Our subject was born in Waverly, this county, March 26, 1839, and was the son of Dr. Isaac H. and Mary (Woodford) Brown, (further mention of whom will be found in the sketch of Dr. Albert C. Brown, on another page in this Album). The early years of his life were spent mostly in school, at the home of his parents. After leaving the schools of Waverly, he entered Illinois College in Jacksonville, and after completing his studies, embarked in the drug business in Waverly, which he prosecuted in company with a partner, until 1872.
Mr. Brown in the meantime had displayed more than ordinary business abilities, and, becoming quite prominent in local affairs, was employed as Deputy Circuit Clerk under Joseph W. Caldwell, which position he held four years. At the expiration of this time he entered upon his duties as cashier of the bank at Waverly, in which he was a stock-holder, and whose success was largely due to his excellent methods of transacting business, and his courteous treatment of the patrons of the institution. It is safe to say that his business interests were probably more extensive than those of any one man in Waverly. He left a valuable estate, consisting of bank stock, houses and lots in the town, and ana interest in a farm in Macoupin County. He also carried a life insurance to the amount of $23,000. Politically, he was a decided Republican, and held the various local offices of his township. He was once a candidate for Sheriff of Morgan County, running far ahead of his ticket, and coming within nine votes of being elected. During the progress of the Civil War, he was one of the first to enlist with the three months' men, and was only prevented from entering the regular army by physical disability. He was for twenty-eight years a member of the Masonic fraternity, and officiated as Master of the Waverly Lodge No. 118. A steady, thorough going business man, a genial, honorable gentleman, and an upright substantial citizen, in his decease the county lost one of its most valued men.
Mr. Brown was first married to Miss Laura, daughter of A. A. Curtiss,
who departed this life at their home, in Jan. 20, 1870, leaving one child.
His second wife was Miss Mary Hobson, who survives him, and who is the
mother of two children, Cornelia and Edward T. No one was more deeply attached
to his family than Mr. Brown. He was prosperous in his business relations,
beloved by many friends, and apparently was surrounded by everything to
make life pleasant and desirable. The funeral was conducted by the I. O.
O. F., of which he was an honored member, and the impressive ceremonies
were attended by a large concourse of people. The last hours of Mr. Brown
had been spent in pleasant conversation with a friend, and he had retired
in his usual good health and spirits. When he did not make his usual appearance
in the morning, and could not be aroused from without, his room was entered,
and he was found in a state of coma from which it was impossible to awaken
him, although he was breathing as his friends entered the room. Physicians
were summoned, and everything possible was done to counteract the effects
of the fatal drug, but in vain, and he breathed his last at 10:30 a.m.
ALBERT C. BROWN, M.D. Very few words in introduction are necessary in noting the career of the subject of this notice. He is a son of the late Isaac H. Brown, who was one of the most noted physicians of the county, and who not only commanded an extensive patronage, but for whom not only his patrons, but his acquaintances entertained a feeling of the warmest regard. Albert C. was born in Chicago, June 25, 1849, and completed his medical studies at Bellevue College, in New York City, in 1873. Prior to this he had read medicine under the careful instruction of his father and other tutors, and was graduated from Illinois College in 1870, after which he took a course of lectures at Rush Medical College.
Dr. Brown, after receiving his diploma, was the associate of his father in practice in Waverly, where he has since been located. He was married in 1875, to Miss Lucinda A., daughter of Platt and Flora A. Carter, and who was born in Sangamon County, this State. Of this union there were born two bright children, Fred and Carter. The Doctor, politically, inclines to Republican doctrines, and besides serving as a member of the School Board, has represented his Ward in the City Council.
Dr. Isaac H. Brown, obtained a brilliant record as a physician and Christian gentleman, his upright life and benevolent acts gaining him in a marked degree the esteem and confidence of his community. He was a lover of truth, and a devotee of science with the manifest desire to improve and elevate those with whom he became associated. He was born in Goshen, Litchfield, Conn., Oct. 20, 1805, and pursued his course of medical study for a time in Pittsfield, Mass. Later, he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons in the city of New York, from which he was graduated Feb. 20, 1828.
In the spring of 1829, Dr. Brown, the father of our subject, established himself in his profession at Avon, Conn., where he continued until the spring of 1838. He then emigrated to this State, and located in Quincy, where he remained about one year, then changed his residence to Waverly, this county, where he followed his profession successfully until his death, which occurred April 13, 1874. He had been married in Avon, Conn., July 29, 1834, to Miss Mary, youngest daughter of Chandler Woodford, and to them were born eight children: Jane A. married Frederick Curtis, and is now fifty-three years of age. William W., of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in this work, was formerly a banker of Waverly, and is now deceased; Lucy M. became the wife of Prof. E. A. Tanner, of Illinois College, Jacksonville, and is now forty-seven years of age; Georgiana died when about three years old; Oliver H. is in the employ of the Santa Fe Railroad, and located at Topeka, Kan.; Albert C., our subject, was the fifth child; Frederick A. was employed as a teacher in Illinois College, and died in 1876; Sylvester S., also a railroad man in Topeka, Kan., with his brother.
Dr. Isaac Brown, politically, was a stanch Republican, and held some of the local offices, rather against his will, for he preferred giving his time to the duties of his profession. He was for many years a Deacon in the Congregational Church, and officiated as Superintendent of the Sunday School. He was a man greatly attached to his friends, frequently assisting them financially, and although living to a ripe old age, nearly attaining his three-score years and ten - his faculties remained practically unimpaired, and he continued to be a blessing to his community until called hence. The life of the physician of the pioneer days was one attended by many hardships and of these Dr. Brown had his full share, but his energy sufficed to enable him to overcome many difficulties, and he enjoyed uniform good health until a few years prior to his demise.
The paternal grandparents of our subject were William and Mary (Hayden)
Brown, the former a native of Hartland, Conn., and the latter of Windsor,
that State. They came with their son, Isaac, to Illinois, and grandfather
Brown established the first blacksmith sop at Waverly. Both spent the remainder
of their lives here, and their remains lie side by side in Waverly cemetery.
JAMES M. BROWN, a pioneer of 1829, began life in this county in very limited circumstances, but is now the owner of a fine property, including a well-appointed farm of 300 acres, on section 18, township 16, range 11. This has been his home for a quarter of a century, and to it he has given the best efforts of his life, making all the improvements now upon it, which are first-class, and bringing the soil to a thorough state of cultivation. When first coming to this county he operated as a renter, and endured many hardships and difficulties before he could feel that he was on solid ground.
A native of East Tennessee, our subject was born in Washington County, May 22, 1845, and is the son of Jeremiah Brown, also a native of that State, and who is supposed to have been of Southern parentage. Upon reaching man's estate he was married in his native county to Miss Mary Stormer, who was likewise born in East Tennessee, but whose parents were descendants of people who came form Pennsylvania. Jeremiah Brown, after his marriage, established himself on a small tract of land in his native county, where he lived until after the birth of three children - James M., Catherine and Sarah A., - then disposed of his interests in the South, and set out with his little family, in the fall of 1829, for this county. They located first near the present site of Arcadia, but the father subsequently secured eighty acres of land. He, however, was not permitted to live to carry on the work which he had in view, but met his death while digging a well by the falling of a barrel containing mud and dirt, the chain of which gave way, and which broke his back, his death ensuing nine days later. The mother was subsequently married to Robert Martin, and both she and Mr. Martin lived to be quite aged, spending their last years near Arcadia.
Our subject lived with his mother and stepfather until a youth of eighteen years, when he started out for himself, and has since made his own way in the world. He found his bride in Cass County, being married there to Miss Sarah A. Buxton. This lady was born in Ohio, in 1829, and is the daughter of Peter and Susan (Reams) Buxton, the former of whom was born in England and emigrated to the United States when quite young, settling in Ohio, where he was married. A few years later, leaving the Buckeye State, he came to Illinois with his family, locating in Cass County early in the thirties. Mr. Buxton did not live very many years thereafter, passing away in the prime of life. His wife survived him for a long period, living to be eighty-four years of age.
To the parents of Mrs. Brown there was born a large family of children, most of them natives of this State. She was quite young when leaving Ohio, and was reared to womanhood in Cass County. Her union with our subject resulted in the birth of six children, one of whom died when four years old; James F. owns and operates a farm in the same township as his father; Philip married Miss Ellen Henderson, and is living on a farm in Nodaway County, Mo.; Abigail is the widow of Adam Gaddis, who died very suddenly while shingling a barn; George P. married Miss Anna Harris, and lives on a farm in township 16, range 11; Jane lives at home with her parents.
Mr. Brown cast his first presidential vote for Pierce, and gives
his unqualified support to the Democratic party. Both he and his wife are
active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which our subject
officiates as Trustee, and contributes liberally to its support. He has
borne no unimportant part in the settlement and development of Morgan County,
and is properly numbered among its representative men.
T. BROWNLOW is one of Morgan County's representative men. He has been active as a farmer in previous years, but is now enjoying the fruit of his toil, a retired but by no means inactive life. He was born in Sutton-upon-Trent, Nottinghamshire, England, on the 9th of Oct. 1823. His parents, Thomas and Elizabeth Brownlow were both natives of England. They provided their son with as good an education as possible, which was however, somewhat limited in scope, but has been greatly extended by subsequent reading, so that upon all general topics he is well versed. He has been engaged in farming from his youth and is thoroughly acquainted with all practical points connected with his chosen calling.
Prior to leaving England he was married to Elizabeth Olden. His second matrimonial alliance was with Maria Bingham. Of this union six children were born, five of whom survive. Their names are as follows: Thomas, George, Henry, Winfield and William. The deceased child was the daughter, Mary.
Mr. Brownlow emigrated to America in 1850. Seven weeks consumed by the ocean passage from Liverpool to New York. Upon landing he almost immediately started West, coming to Morgan County and for a short time worked as a farm hand for Dr. Thomas Wakeley, near Markham, after which he bought a farm in Scott County, and there resided for several years. Returning again to Morgan County in 1868 he settled upon a farm in section 3, township 15, range 12, where he continued to live until the spring fo 1883, when he removed to Chapin. Retiring from active farm labor he prepared to spend the remainder of his years in the quiet rest and enjoyment he had so well earned. He owns 152 acres of thoroughly good land and his farm is well stocked and provided with all things necessary to its successful operation. The success that has perched upon his banners is the success that must come to honest, persevering endeavor, when such efforts are intelligently directed. In the upward struggle he has ever been cheered and encouraged by his wife, who has been nobly true throughout the years of her wifehood and has largely contributed to the brightness and success of his life.
Mr. Brownlow for several years and while a resident of Scott County
was School Director. In political affairs he has espoused principles of
the Democratic party and usually votes its ticket. He has always had the
interests of the community and State at heart and this being recognized
he is accorded the hearty respect and esteem of the people.
WILLIAM BARR BROWN, a young man of more than ordinary ability, is one of those destined to make his mark in his community, being wide-awake and enterprising, endowed by nature with fine capacities, and having the advantages of a good education, completed at Jacksonville College at the spring term of 1881. He was born in Lexington, Ky., Sept. 27, 1860, and is the son of Dr. Lloyd W. Brown, an eminent physician and surgeon, who was a resident of Jacksonville for a period of ten years prior to 1881, then removed to his country residence, remaining there until 1885. He then returned to the city, and is now President of the Illinois Savings Bank, while at the same time he looks after the operations of the farm carried on by our subject. Politically, he is a stanch Democrat, and in religious matters a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mrs. Rebecca C. (Warfield) Brown, the mother of our subject, was born in Lexington, Ky., and died at the homestead in this county, in the fall of 1881. The parental household included ten children: Edward W. married Ruth Smith, and with his father and our subject carries on the farm in Sangamon County; Rebecca C. resides in Jacksonville with her father; Lloyd W., Hattie B., Ruth, Mary; Lloyd 2d and Mary 2d are deceased.
The subject of this sketch remained a member of the parental household until his marriage, which occurred Nov. 8, 1882. His bride was Miss Fanny E. McCoy, who was born in Kentucky, Oct. 20, 1860. Of this union there are two children - William Barr, Jr., and Eleanor May. Mr. McCoy came to this county in its pioneer days, amassed a fortune, and died here. The mother is still living in Jacksonville. The maiden name of the mother was Corington, and Mrs. Brown is their only child. In Sangamon and Morgan counties Mr. Brown and his sons own and operate 4,500 acres of land, and make a specialty of graded Percheron horses, of which they have on hand at present (May, 1889) 125 head. They are mostly grade and imported animals, and are the source of handsome returns. They also deal largely in Shorthorn cattle.
Our subject and his wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, in which Mr. Brown holds the office of Steward. He officiates as
School Trustee in his district, and both he and his accomplished wife enjoy
the esteem and friendship of a large circle of acquaintances. They have
a delightful home, and are surrounded by all the comforts of life.
REV. FRANK C. BRUNER, A.M., pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Winchester, came to this part of Illinois as early as 1854, when a child six years of age, from his birth place in Switzerland County, Ind. He first opened his eyes to the light April 24, 1848, and is the son of William and Harriet (Brandenburgh) Bruner, who upon their removal from Indiana in the year above mentioned, settled in Rock Island County, this State, where the father followed farming, and where our subject was reared to man's estate.
Mr. Bruner received his education mostly in the district school, and was a youth of more than ordinary intelligence, bright and ambitious to do something for himself in the world. During the progress of the Civil War, he, at the age of fifteen years, enlisted as a Union soldier in Company A, 9th Illinois Cavalry, being the youngest member of his regiment. He participated in many important battles, was at Guntown, Miss., on the 10th of June, 1864, at Hurricane Creek, Tupelo and Nashville, and was promoted for his gallantry in the noted Hood campaigns. He served until the close of the war, and received his honorable discharge at Springfield, Nov. 25, 1865.
After leaving the army, young Bruner entered Westfield College (Ill.), where he spent over four years. In 1886 he received the Master's degree, and at commencement he delivered the Master's oration, which was highly commented upon by the press. He joined the Illinois Methodist Episcopal Conference, the fall of the year 1875, and subsequently presided over several different charges, among them Blue Mound, Clayton, Mason City, Beardstown - coming to Winchester in the fall of 1888. He is what might be properly termed a natural evangelist, having a fine command of language, and being able to hold the attention of his audience, convincing them by his logic, and awakening a profound interest. At Beardstown, in 1886-7, during one series of meetings, he gathered in about 200 converts, and 150 at Winchester during the winter of 1888-9.
The subject of our sketch was married in Marshall, Ill., June 14,
1874, to Miss Tina Smith. Mrs. Bruner was born Feb. 25, 1855, in Ohio,
and is the daughter of Samuel Smith, who now resides in Marshall, Ill.
This union resulted in the birth of two children - Mabel, born April 16,
1875, and Ethel, born Feb. 24, 1877. Mr. Bruner is a member of the G.A.R.
Post, Beardstown, and A.O.U.W., and is also identified with the I.O.O.F.
WILLIAM C. CLARK BRUNK, a general merchant of Franklin Village, commenced his business career as a clerk in his father's store, and after his marriage purchased the stock, added to it and now enjoys an annual trade of about $4,000. He and his wife own the building and their residence, and have started out in life under favorable auspices. Not the least among the blessings which they enjoy is the esteem and confidence of many friends, they both being spoken very highly of in their community.
Our subject is a native of this county and was born April 7, 1867. He was given a good practical education, and nature equipped him with those qualities which form the basis of all true manhood. He is the son of James T. Brunk, who was born in Bourbon County, Ky., in February, 1829, and who was brought by his parents to this country in 1832. He has since resided here most of the time. He commenced his mercantile career in Orleans where he sojourned a number of years, then removed to Alexander, and from there to Franklin where he opened up a general store which he conducted successfully until retiring.
The maiden name of the mother of our subject was Eveline Jolly. She was born in Illinois, and died at her home in Franklin Sept. 27, 1886. Only three are living of the four children born to the parents: Lyda B., Nettie A., and our subject. The eldest daughter is the wife of George P. Mulberry, formerly of Greene County, this State, but who is now keeping a confectionery store in Franklin; they have no children; Nettie married Ripley Mayfield, a farmer of this county and they have one child, Leila.
The subject of this notice chose for his life partner Miss Ina Johnson of Monroe County, Mo., and they were married Feb. 28, 1887. The father of Mrs. Brunk died some years ago; the mother is living and a resident of Missouri. They were the parents of thirteen children, eight of whom are living. William J. married Jennie Poage of Paris, Mo., and he is a practicing physician of Barry, Pike County, this State; they have three children: Charles, Susie and Campbell. Adolphus married Bessie Allen of Pike County, and is employed as a commercial salesman. They have two children - Cora and Bessie. Eva married Thaddeus Gaitskill of Florida, Mo., and they have two children - Adolphus and Willie; Jennie is the wife of Edgar Atkinson, a farmer of Santa Fe., Mo.; they have one child, Clarence. Albert married Ellen Griffith who is now deceased. He is a train dispatcher, lives in Texas, and has one child, Robert. James is unmarried and is employed as a telegraph operator at Ladonia, Mo. Harry, a boy of twelve, resides with his mother.
The father of our subject was married a second time and is living
in Franklin. William C., politically, is a stanch Democrat and is a member
of the Village Board.
GEORGE W. BURNETT. The sons of the pioneers of Morgan County have reason to be proud of their position as such, especially when they have improved the talents bestowed upon them, and have preserved the self-respect, which, whatever may be a man's fortunes in life, will in time almost invariably gain him a worthy position among his fellow-men. The career of Mr. Burnett has been uniformly prosperous, he having been spared many of the trials and adversities which are allotted to some, but he has pursued the modest and unassuming course which has gained him many friends who would stand by him, even should misfortune overtake him. He is numbered among the substantial farmers of this county, and has a fine estate on section 27, township 14, range 8.
Our subject was born in the township where he now resides April 3, 1831, and is the son of Isham and Lucinda (VanWinkle) Burnett, who are widely and favorably known throughout this section as forming a part of its pioneer element. He was reared to farming pursuits and given such education as was afforded in the log cabin school-house of that day, during a few months in the year. He resided with his parents until a man of twenty-seven years, but in the meantime, had secured a part of the land comprising his present farm, and had been engaged in its cultivation.
At an early day several families from the East settled near the present homestead of Mr. Burnett, and established a store, a blacksmith shop, a grist and saw mill, a very good school, and a church. The dwelling now occupied by our subject, was erected by Franklin Miner, a member of the colony. Mr. Miner met his death accidentally at the mill, and subsequently the remaining members of the colony removed to other parts of the county. ON the 6th of May, 1858, occurred the marriage of Mr. Burnett with Miss Mary J. McCormack, who was born in this county, and is the daughter of John and Jane McCormack. The newly wedded pair settled upon the present farm of our subject, which then comprised eighty acres of land given him by his father, and to which he added from time to time until he became the owner of 1,300 acres. He has given four of his sons each a farm ranging from 160 to 240 acres, all improved, and he has still over 400 acres left. In addition to general agriculture, he has engaged largely as a live stock dealer, with very profitable results.
Seven of the eight children born to Mr. and Mrs. Burnett, are still living, one daughter having died at the age of seven years. These are named respectively, Marshall, Everett, Oscar, Fred, John, Emma and Lucinda. The private business of Mr. Burnett has occupied about all his time, and he has never desired office; he has mingled with political matters very little, although keeping himself well posted upon events of general interest, and giving his support to the Republican party. Mrs. Burnett is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, although in belief a Presbyterian, having joined the former on account of their being no Presbyterian Church in this vicinity.
John McCormack, the father of Mrs. Burnett, was born in Nicholas County, Ky., in 1801, and was the son of James and Elizabeth McCormack, natives of Gettysburg, Pa. The family is of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and was represented in Pennsylvania at a very early day. James McCormack was a gunsmith by trade, and was married in Pennsylvania to Elizabeth Gregory. Later he removed to Kentucky during the pioneer days of Nicholas County, where he became the father of a large family, and spent his last days.
In Nicholas County, Ky., John McCormack grew to manhood and was married.
He lived there until 1834, then coming to this county, entered a tract
of land near which the village of Franklin afterward grew up. He only lived,
however, a few years thereafter, departing hence in 1838. The six children
born of this union, are recorded as follows: James R. died in this county;
Elizabeth married John Newport; Catherine became the wife of G. Atchinson;
Nancy married M. Sanders; Mary, Mrs. Everett, was the youngest daughter;
John A. was killed in a collision on a railroad, while serving as a soldier
in the late Civil War. Mrs. McCormack survived her husband for a period
of twenty-five years, devoting her life to her children, and had the happiness
to see them grow to a happy manhood and womanhood. Both she and her husband
were Presbyterians, and among the first members of Pisgah Church.
WILLIAM BURRUS, is a resident of section 2, township 16, range 12, is a native of Overton County, Tenn., and was born April 26, 1820. He was a son of Martin and Elizabeth (Davis) Burrus, both of whom were natives of Tennessee. His paternal ancestors were English while on his mother's side they were of Scotch descent.
William Burrus was the eldest child, and is probably the oldest living male member of the Burrus family. About the year 1832 in company with his parents, he moved to Morgan County, Ill., and at the time of their arrival here, Jacksonville was but a small hamlet. Then there was but little prospect of there being built a thriving city. His father died in 1852, and his mother followed him a few years later. They were the parents of twelve children, of whom the following survive: William, Susan, wife of Thomas Hodges, of Morgan County; Mary, wife of Robert Ray, of Kansas; Elizabeth, wife of Edward Beecham of Menard County, Ill.
William Burrus has lived in Morgan County, nearly all his days. His education was received in the early subscription schools that were in vogue at the time of his youth, but he has been obliged to rely upon his own efforts to gain an education. About the time that he reached manhood, Illinois was beginning to emerge from the difficulties that surrounded her in an early day. Her markets were beginning to improve and society was better. It is safe to say that Mr. Burrus has undergone as many of the privations that surround a pioneer's life as any man in Morgan County. He rode in the first passenger train between Meredosia and Jacksonville, and has witnessed a wonderful development of the railroad system in Illinois. When he commenced life there was not a mile of railroad constructed in this State, and transportation of all kinds was made by means of horses and oxen. There were a few miles of canal built, but not enough to do the country much good. Threshing machines were unknown then. The grain was separated from the straw by the old primitive methods of the flail and by means of treading it with horses and oxen. Fanning mills were unknown and when that useful machine was first introduced, some people were superstitious enough to say that its use should be discouraged, as the only moral and proper way to clean grain was to let the winds of heaven blow the chaff away by holding it up in the air and allowing it to fall to the ground. Steel plows were then unheard of, the old wooden mold-board being considered good enough to plow the earth with.
Mr. Burrus settled on his present farm in the spring of 1848, and has lived there continuously since. He first purchased 160 acres of land which was in a very wild condition. He erected a log cabin 16x18 and there resided for over twenty years, and in this house he reared the most of his children. The log cabin is still standing on the farm, and is preserved by the owner for the memories that cluster around it. His present residence which is built of brick, is a model farm house and a practical exhibition of its owner's transition from a poor pioneer to a wealthy farmer. He owns 720 acres of land, every acre of which he earned. His first start was made as a renter. In five years he made $500 and invested this in land, and from that small beginning he has attained his present proud distinction. He was married Feb. 17, 1842, to Nancy Masterson, daughter of Samuel and Jane Masterson, natives of Kentucky, and early settlers of Morgan County.
To Mr. and Mrs. Burrus have been born eleven children, seven of whom are living: Thomas J., Benjamin F., William M., Alexander, Eliza A., Katie C., and Martha J.; the four deceased are Elizabeth C., John H., James M. and Felix O. Mrs. Burrus was born May 2, 1826. Both husband and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Burrus has held the office of Steward for several years. He has always been very liberal towards churches and schools.
Mr. Burrus is one of the original founders of the Methodist Episcopal
Church on section 4, township 15, range 12, known as the McKindry Church,
and is the oldest man now belonging to that organization. Politically,
he is a Prohibitionist, but was formerly a Democrat, and aims to vote for
the best man for office. William Burrus is one of the representative pioneers
of his county and is esteemed by all who know him.
JOHN BURT is a general farmer and owns eighty-four acres in township 16, range 11. He has a well-cultivated farm upon which he has resided since March, 1866. While Mr. Burt's farm is not a large one, its productive qualities are equal to that of any in his neighborhood. He spares no pains to attain good results, and by constant application has made a success.
In 1861 Mr. Burt came to Morgan County from Sangamon County, Ill. He is a carpenter, and followed his trade while living in Ohio, and was very successful. He was born in Ayreshire, Scotland, a few miles from where the former poet, Robert Burns, first saw the light of day. Mr. Burt's birth occurred on Dec. 23, 1814. His parents were of English descent. His father, Abraham Burt, was born in Scotland, and married Susan Harper, after which they located in Ayreshire, and there the father followed mechanical pursuits until 1837, when on the 8th day of October of that year, they started for America, and after a voyage of six weeks and five days, they arrived safely in New York City. The ship upon which they came from Scotland, the "Frances," Capt. Griffin commanding, was lost on her return trip. After landing in New York the family proceeded immediately to Warren County, Ohio, where they settled, the father dying there in 1863, being ninety years of age at the time of his death. His wife, the mother of John, died in January, 1861, at the age of eighty-six years. They were of the old Scotch-Presbyterian faith, than whom there are no better people living. John Burt was the fourth child of five children, three sons and two daughters. He was reared in his native shire until he was twenty-three years old, at which time his parents came to America as before indicated. He learned his trade while in Ohio working with his brother Abraham. John came to Illinois in 1856, when men were in large demand, and when large wages were paid. These conditions aided him in making a start in the world. He married Miss Mary Hunter of Sangamon County, Ill. She was born in Lexington, Ky., on March 12, 1819 and is the daughter of Josiah and Elizabeth (Neel) Hunter, who were natives of Mechlenburg County, N.C., and who came originally from Pennsylvania, ancestrally speaking. Mr. and Mrs. Hunter were reared in North Carolina, and later removed to Lexington, Ky., where Mr. Hunter died in the prime of life in January, 1831. His widow, with her children, in 1836, came to Morgan County, where she died April 4, 1862, being then past eighty-six years of age. She, like her husband was a life-long Presbyterian.
Mrs. Burt was the youngest of five children, three sons and two daughters
that lived to grow up. Mrs. Burt was a young lady when her mother came
North, receiving her early education and impressions in Kentucky. She is
the mother of one child - Mary E., who, as a dutiful daughter is staying
at home with her parents. Mr. and Mrs. Burt and daughter take great interest
in religious matters, and worship in the Presbyterian faith. Politically
Mr. Burt is a Republican; originally he was an Abolitionist, but after
the wiping out of slavery, he naturally found a political home with the
party that freed the slave. He is reckoned as one of the solid, hard-working
men of his community.
MRS. MARY A. BUTCHER is a resident of section 23, township 16, range 13, and is a native of Pike County, Ohio, where she was born Feb. 16, 1826. She was a daughter of Thomas R. and Sarah (Boiler) Butcher. Her father was a native of Pennsylvania, and her mother was also born in that State. Her father was a soldier in the War of 1812. He enlisted at the beginning of the war under the general call for troops, and remained in the army until the close of hostilities.
Mrs. Butcher's parents were among the very first settlers of Pike County, Ohio, and lived there until their death. They were well-to-do farmers, and reared a family of five children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the only survivor. She was reared to womanhood in her native county and State. She received her education in the early log cabin subscription schools, and, of course, the learning she obtained was necessarily through difficulties that now would seem almost insurmountable. It may be pessimistic to indulge in the thought that the youth of two generations ago, or even of one, were constructed of different material from those of today, but it is no flight of fancy to record that simple fact that our fathers and mothers would have been many times discouraged in their search for knowledge, had they not been built of the sterner stuff that makes true men and women. In their day there were but few sources of amusement, and not many ways to divert one's attention from hard, dull work. The youth of the present generation ought to be thankful for the advantages they possess, and, as they read the histories of their ancestors, glean therefrom profitable lessons.
Mrs. Butcher was married Dec. 29, 1850, in Pike County, Ohio, to Adam Butcher, a native of the Buckeye State, and whose birth occurred Jan. 20, 1826. He was a son of John and Sarah Butcher, who were also natives of Ohio, their ancestors all being of German descent. Mrs. Butcher was the mother of nine children, six of whom are living: Roland C. lives in Colorado; Royal is a resident of Christian County, Ill.; Josiah lives in Morgan County, while George, Albert, and Ida are at home. Mr. Butcher and wife emigrated to Morgan County in 1851. Their journey from Pike County, Ohio, consumed nineteen days. They landed in Jacksonville, Ill. Their means of transportation was by a "prairie schooner' drawn by two teams. They were accompanied by two other families, making a party of about a dozen persons in all. Mr. Butcher rented a farm soon after his arrival in Morgan County, and continued to do so for five years, when he purchased a farm of a quarter section of land, where his widow now resides. He paid about $30 per acre for this land, and afterward bought forty acres more. As a matter of course Mr. and Mrs. Butcher were obliged to live economically until they obtained their start in the world, and the lot of a pioneer of Illinois was theirs. Mr. Butcher died Jan. 5, 1883. He was one of the leading citizens of his township, and enjoyed an extended acquaintance. Politically, he was a Democrat, with Greenback proclivities, but, being of a modest disposition, he never sought office. He was a kind and loving husband and father, and enjoyed the reputation of being an honest man.
Mr. Butcher was a member of the Union Baptist Church, and always
took an active part in church work. He was also a member of the Masonic
fraternity. Mrs. Butcher and her children are active members of society.
THOMAS BUTLER, whose place among the prosperous and progressive farmers and stock-raisers of Morgan County is unquestioned, resides on section 21 of township 14. He was born near the ancient city of Chester, England, in the year of 1832. He was the fourth child in a family of eight born to William and Mary Sheffield) Butler both of whom were born in the same country. His father followed the avocation of farming throughout the greater part of his life and died in the year 1871. His wife survived until the year 1885, and during that time did everything in her power to fill the place of both parents to the children that had been given her.
Our subject was raised upon a farm, and from his earliest years fulfilled various tasks of ever increasing magnitude and importance, until he was enabled to take charge of any department of agricultural labor; his education was received in the district schools of England. He came to this country when twenty-six years of age, brining with him his wife and family. He had been married in the year 1858 to Miss Sarah Filkin. This lady was born in the year 1833 near Chester, England, and was the fifth of nine children, who comprised the family of Richard and Elizabeth (Fisher) Filkin.
Mr. Butler sailed from Liverpool in the year 1858 on the Ocean Monarch, a sailing vessel that occupied three full weeks in making the trip partly owing to the rough weather encountered throughout the greater part of the passage, which we may rest assured did not greatly assist in making those who were on shipboard for the first time feel at home and in no wise added to the comfort of their ocean experiences. Landing at Castle Garden, new York City, they came direct to Morgan County, arriving on the 12th of June, 1858. They finally determined to settle in Lynnville, in this county, and there made their home for about two years, when they removed to a farm at Franklin, and remained for a like period. From that place they went to Woodson and remained for one year.
About that time our subject made his first purchase, buying eighty acres of improved land in township 13, and operated the same for about two years. In 1866 an additional eighty was purchased, situated on section 22, township 14. This also was improved land, and upon it the family lived for eight years. In 1874, he was enabled to buy a farm of 160 acres of well-improved land, which is that upon which he now resides. He has retained possession of his former purchases and is therefore the owner of 240 acres, situated on sections 21 and 22. His farm is stocked with good full blooded Short-horn cattle and a large number of Berkshire and Poland-China hogs.
In political matters our subject is not very active, although on the other hand he is not neglectful of his duties as a citizen and usually votes with the Democratic party. For several years our subject has been one of the School Directors and holds that office at the present time. The religious home of Mr. and Mrs. Butler is in the Episcopal church of which they have been devoted members from their youth.
There have been born to mr. and Mrs. Butler seven children, whose names are as follows: Samuel Milford, William Ritchie, Charles Edwin, Thomas Henry, Beatrice Elenor, John Simpson, and Edna Jane. Samuel M. is married and resides in this county; the remainder of the family still reside at home - the two youngest are attending school.
Mr. Butler was one of the early settlers in Morgan County and despite
many difficulties in the beginning and that it was hard work in obtaining
his start, he has continuously progressed from the very first. Slowly he
accumulated sufficient to make his first purchase and from that time he
has gone on more rapidly until he occupies a place as one of the most successful
farmers in the county. He takes a lively interest in all matters pertaining
to the promotion of educational and religious affairs and is never weary
of well-doing in this direction. He is proud of the growth of Morgan County,
and is happy that it has been his privilege to help at least in some measure
to that end.
County main page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their