Flatford Cemetery, Woodson
Cemetery transcription by members of the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society
This burial ground appears on the 1872 plat map of Morgan County and again on an 1878 map of the county. A search for the cemetery in 1978 was unsuccessful. It is possible but not likely that the cemetery site is now covered by Lake Jacksonville which was formed by building a dam across Big Sandy Creek. It is unlikely the burials would have been made in such low ground. Deed Record 59, page 389, contains this entry which probably refers to the site of Flatford Cemetery: "The grantor, Samuel Swigert (widower) for and in consideration of Twenty Dollars in hand paid, conveys and warrants to Effie Jane Flatford of the County of Morgan and State of Illinois the following described Real Estate: One half (½) acre in a square supposed to be near the center of the Northwest quarter of the Northwest quarter of Section Thirteen (13) Township Fourteen (14) Range Ten (10) West of the Third (3rd) Principal Meridian...Dated this 14th day of Sept. A.D. 1879. Samuel Swigert. State of Missouri Adair County The site of Flatford Cemetery is about one-eighth of a mile southeast of Hoag Cemetery of which only four tombstones remain, and is only a few yards east of what is commonly known as the causeway across the east end of Lake Jacksonville. The site of Flatford Cemetery is about ¼ of a mile southeast of Asbury cemetery and Asbury United Methodist Church.
County main page