Devore Cemetery, Franklin Pisgah
Cemetery transcription by members of the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society
Words in brackets [ ] or parenthesis ( )are not on stone.
From page 431 of Deed Record UU in the Morgan County clerk's office it is found that on Nov. 12, 1863, Uriah J. Devore, executor of the estate of John Devore, deceased, sold land in Section 12 of Township 14 N Range 9 W. He reserved the right of way to the burying ground formerly reserved on the said described land. The buyer was Uriah Johnson. When the executor of Uriah J. Johnson's estate sold the land to Elmer E. Smith on Sept. 14, 1892, the cemetery was described as containing ½ acre plus the right of way thereto. The executor was Thomas Hembrough and this transaction is found on pages 597 and 598 of Deed Record 46 in the Morgan County clerk's office. Harold Edwin Hembrough remembers that as recently as 1940 the tombstones in tiny Devore Cemetery were standing in a pasture. A visit to the site on Nov. 25, 1980 found a plowed field with no trace of the cemetery to be seen. The site is reached by driving north from Asbury United Methodist Church one and 1/5 miles and turning east into a private road posted against trespassers. Following the winding private road drive .8 of a mile until a farm house and outbuildings are reached. The cemetery was located about 50 yards south of the house. Legal description would be in the southeast quarter of the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 12 of Township 14 N Range 9 W, in the area of Lake Jacksonville.
|Name||Birth||Death||Other or Notes||Veteran?||Donated By||Obit?|
|Fry, Milton||11 Sept 1803||16 June 1865|
|Fry, Letitia Devore||w/o Milton Fry
d/o John Devore
County main page