Crawford-Hatfield Cemetery, Chapin-Bethel
Cemetery transcription by members of the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society
Words in brackets [ ] or parenthesis ( )are not on stone.
The only known visible relic of this abandoned cemetery is a broken Hatfield tombstone that was plowed up about 1972 by a youth, Roger Nergenah. For some time the stone was leaned against a tree which has since been removed. In 1977 this tombstone is atop a well platform in Concord, at the residence of Rev. Don Hatfield. Very little is known about the cemetery but Mrs. Reginald (Verna) Nergenah recalls that the cemetery was once in a wooded area in the northeast quarter of Section 5 in Township 15 N Range 12 W. The site is on the south side of Illinois Route 104 and is about 11/4 miles northwest of Bethel. A search of real estate transactions failed to reveal any mention of the burial ground, but Samuel Hatfield and his wife, Minerva, both alive on Sept. 29, 1837, once owned the tract of land. Other Hatfields closely associated with the area were William B., alive on April 16, 1843, and Nathan Hatfield who died before Nov. 10, 1847.
|Name||Birth||Death||Other or Notes||Veteran?||Donated By||Obit?|
|Crawford, David||30 Mar 1882||Obit|
|Hatfield,||1 Yr 1 Mo 3 Da||8 Ag 1858||Daughter of R. and E.J. Hatfield
(No mention of this child's death
appeared in the Jacksonville Sentinel.)
County main page