1906 Historical Encyclopedia Of Illinois & History of Morgan County IL






HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS
& HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY
Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers, 1906.





HACKETT, James Henry, retired merchant of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., is a native of Vermont, born in Orange County, that State, March 30, 1841, a son of James and Hannah (Richardson) Hackett. His ancestry is traceable to the colonial period, he himself being a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. His great-grandfather, Daniel Hackett, was born May 25, 1753, and died in Tunbridge, Vt., July 11, 1841. Daniel Hackett served in the earthworks thrown up on Bunker Hill, and his father was a member of the Patriot force who received from General Israel Putnam the famous order to hold their fire until they could see the whites of the enemy's eyes. He was in Captain Samuel McConnell's Company, of Col. Daniel Moore's command.

James H. Hackett attended the public schools of his neighborhood in Vermont, and later Canaan (N.H.) Union Academy after which he was engaged in teaching at various points in Vermont and New Hampshire. At the conclusion of his work as a teacher, he secured an official position in the State Penitentiary, at Concord, N.H., and later became connected with the Insane Asylum at that place, where he remained three years. In 1863 he was appointed Clerk of the Hospital for the Insane at Jacksonville, Ill., and at once entered upon the duties of his position. The task was a very important one, and involved much responsibility, as he was required to keep all the books and purchase all the goods and materials used in the institution. On the termination of this connection, Mr. Hackett became connected with the clothing business, in which he continued for eighteen years. He was also engaged in other business enterprises in Jacksonville, being a partner in a flour mill under the firm name of Scott & Hackett, which was afterward changed to the Morgan Roller Mills Company.

Mr. Hackett is of a literary turn of mind, and, in addition to supervising his business interests, finds time to write largely for "The Farm," of which he is editor. Mr. and Mrs. Hackett live on the handsome suburban residence property, where they commenced housekeeping more than forty years ago. Mr. Hackett has a farm in Greene County, Ill., of about 700 acres. He also has lands in Texas and Kansas, and has for many years devoted his time largely to farming and live stock.

On September 11, 1865, Mr. Hackett was married to Mary Bailey, a daughter of James R. and Ann (Henderson) Bailey. For several years previous to her marriage Mrs. Hackett performed the duties of Matron of the Hospital for the Insane here. She was born November 21, 1841. Her father was a native of Bucks County, Pa., and her mother of New Jersey. James R. Bailey learned the printer's trade in the old Benjamin Franklin office, in Philadelphia; for many years after coming to Morgan County used an old Franklin press, which he had shipped here, and was for many years editor of the Jacksonville "Sentinel," the first Democratic organ established in Morgan County, now known as the "Courier." (See sketch of James R. Bailey in this volume).

Mr. and Mrs. Hackett have five children: Eva May, wife of William A. Patterson, of Chicago; James Dutton, of New York City, manager of a branch of the Colonial Bank; George Arthur, of Decatur, Ill., general manager of the Central Malleable Iron Company of that city; Charles H., Superintendent of the Jacksonville Electric Railway; and John S., of the firm of Johnson & Hackett, house furnishers, of Jacksonville, Ill.

Mr. Hackett has been prominent in politics, having been a candidate on the Republican ticket for the State Senate, and for membership on the State Board of Equalization. Fraternally, he was made a Mason of Blazing Star Lodge, A.F. & A.M., of New Hampshire; afterward a charter member of the Jacksonville Lodge (of which he was one of the organizers and Master for one term), as well as a member of the B.P.O. Elks, Jacksonville Lodge, No. 682. In 1899, he became a Mystic Shriner in the Peoria Lodge. He is also a Knight Templar. Religiously, he is a member of the State Street Presbyterian Church of Jacksonville, of which he was Stated Clerk for twenty years. He is a life member of the American Board of Foreign Missions.

HAIRGROVE, John Whitlock, Dr., was born in Jacksonville, Ill., August 21, 1856. On both sides he comes from American stock, his ancestors having settled in this country before the Revolution. His father, Columbus Hairgrove, was born in Troup County, Ga., April 29, 1828, and in 1850 came to Morgan County. Here he met Rose Ann Whitlock, daughter of John Whitlock an old settler and prominent farmer of Morgan County, whom he soon after married. During the Civil War he served three years in the One Hundred and First Regiment of Illinois Volunteer Infantry.

A great portion of Dr. Hairgrove's boyhood was spent on his father's farm six miles from Jacksonville. He attended the country schools and later Illinois College. After teaching a country school for one term Dr. Hairgrove began the study of medicine and surgery at the Prince Sanitarium, under the celebrated Dr. David Prince, who instilled in him a profound appreciation of the possibilities of surgery, bending his inclination to that as the supreme outlet of his life ambition. For four years he remained with Dr. Prince as student and assistant, and then attended the Missouri Medical College, where he was graduated. The first four years of his medical practice were spent in Waverly, Ill. He then went to Germany and spent over a year in study in Vienna, Berlin and Dresden. On his return he came to Jacksonville, where he began the practice of surgery, having since spent six months in study in Paris.

In June, 1903, Dr. Hairgrove was married to Mabel Marvin, of Madison, Wis., who, on the paternal side, traces her descent to forefathers who settled in New England early in the eighteenth century, several having served in the War of Independence. In politics Dr. Hairgrove is a Republican. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and many medical and surgical societies.



HALL, Henry Hammond, retired capitalist and farmer residing in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born in Accomac County, Va., August 17, 1827, the son of Henry H. and Ann Hack Pitt (Beard) Hall, who came with their family to Illinois in the spring of 1835. They located on open prairie land, now the town site of Virginia, Cass County, which the senior Henry Hall founded about 1837, and where he spent considerable money in developing the place and in bringing about the changes which made it the geographical center of Cass County in 1847, and ultimately the county seat. The parents spent here the remainder of their lives, the father, who was a physician and surgeon, becoming interested in general business, and therefore devoting little time to practice.

Henry H. Hall, after finishing his studies in the public schools, occupied himself in various ways, and, in early manhood, purchased an interest in the "Cass County Times," an independent paper published in the town of Virginia. While editing the paper, he assisted in setting the type and operating the hand-press on a four page sheet. Meanwhile he had commenced to read law, but changing his plans turned his attention to medicine. About the time he was ready to enter upon the practice of the latter profession, his plans were agin disarranged in consequence of the death of his brother, John P. Hall, a merchant of Virginia. Having been appointed administrator of his brother's estate, it became necessary for him to devote the following three years to the settlement of its affairs. By this time, on account of impaired health, he found it necessary to permanently abandon his intention of entering the law, and applied himself to farming, still later becoming identified with banking interests. He assisted in organizing the Farmers' National Bank, of which he was President while he remained in Cass County. He is still Vice-President of that institution, and owns farms there, the operation of which he supervises. In 1870 he located at Jacksonville, where he has since lived in retirement from active business. He was one of the organizers of the Jacksonville Public Library, of which he was Manager for twelve years. He is a member of the Literary Union, the Art Association, the State Historical Society and the Morgan County Historical Society.

In 1850 Mr. Hall was married to Elizabeth E. Epler (sister of Judge Cyrus Epler), who died in 1870, leaving five children, four of whom are living, namely: Charles H., of Chicago; Marion I., of Jacksonville; Mrs. Mary H. Cormick, of Centralia, Ill.; and Mrs. A. L. Kimber, of Chicago. In 1872, Mr. Hall was married to Anna E. Savage, and they have one child - Helen H., living in Jacksonville.

Politically, Mr. Hall is a Democrat, but has sought no political honors. He became affiliated with the Masonic order while a resident of Virginia, Ill., and became a Knight Templar in Jacksonville. He is a member of the Congregational Church.

HALL, John S., a well known and prosperous farmer who follows his vocation in the vicinity of Literberry, Morgan County, Ill., was born near Staunton, Augusta County, Va., February 10, 1832. He is a son of Nelson J. and Catherine (Grow) Hall, also natives of that State. Nelson J. Hall came to Morgan County in 1857, and died at the home of his son, John S. He was hurt in a cyclone, which caused much damage in Morgan County, and succumbed to his injuries twelve days later. He and his wife were the parents of thirteen children, all of whom reached maturity. Of this family, eight were girls.

John S. Hall was reared on a farm. In boyhood he received his mental training in the common schools, and, on reaching mature years, applied himself to farming. At the beginning of the Civil War, he enlisted in Company G, Fifty-second Regiment Virginia Volunteer Infantry, in which he served about a year. In 1864 he located in Morgan County, and engaged in farming on rented land. Shortly afterward he purchased the farm where he has since resided, which now consists of 200 acres, situated a mile and half from Literberry.

On August 3, 1865, Mr. Hall was united in marriage with Elizabeth A. Henderson, and soon afterward commenced housekeeping in his present home. He and his wife became the parents of three children, namely: Hattie B., who is married and lives on the home farm; Lula, the wife of J. R. C. Bateman; and Annie who lives with her father. The mother of this family died March 2, 1898. In political campaigns, Mr. Hall maintains an independent attitude, using his judgment as to the best man on whom to bestow his suffrage. Religiously he is a member of the Christian Church, in which he has served as Trustee for many years. He is a man of high character, and as a farmer has secured most praiseworthy results from his many years of toil.

HAMEL, Peter E., retired from active farming and living at 912 South East Street, was born in Knox County, Ohio, April 10, 1833, son of William and Rosanna (Ely) Hamel, the father being a native of Somerset County, Pa., born November 21, 1807, and the mother, of Washington County, the same State. They moved to Ohio in 1814, and in October 1850, the family located in Morgan County and purchased a farm of 240 acres eight miles southwest of Jacksonville. The father was engaged in farming until within a few years of his death, which occurred at Lynnville (whither he had retired) in 1877.

Peter E. Hamel was raised on his father's farm; attended the school near his home; remained with his parents until 1873, and then farmed on his own account. He is now the owner of 170 acres of the old homestead and an additional 80 acres three miles east of Woodson. He retired from active work on the farm in 1898, bought his present comfortable home in Jacksonville, and has since resided there. He was married September 6, 1866, to Sarah Green, daughter of Thomas Green, a farmer who settled in Morgan County, in 1836. Mr. Hamel has had four children: Ellen O. L., who died at sixteen years; Margaret, wife of Henry Reece; Joseph L. and Charles E. Mr. Hamel has served as School Director, Road Supervisor and Township Trustee; in politics is a Republican, and is connected with the I.O.O.F.

HAMMAN, George H., farmer, residing in the village of Meredosia, Morgan County, Ill., was born in Pike County, Ohio, September 12, 1840, the son of Henry and Barbara (Keberth) Hamman, the father being a farmer. The family came to Morgan County, Ill., in 1867, and occupied a rented farm for two or three years, when George H. Hamman moved to Cass County, Ill., and farmed there four years. He then returned to Morgan County, and for thirty-one years, with his son, Edward, operated the splendid farm of the late George Graham, situated near the bluffs east of Meredosia. In 1894 Mr. Hamman moved to Kansas and three years later returned to Meredosia, where, with his wife, he now resides in a pleasant home. He has been a successful business man and is classed among the well-to-do residents of the community.

Mr. Hamman was married, in 1864, to Lena Fry, and of this union two sons and two daughters survive. The wife and mother died in October, 1885. In 1897 Mr. Hamman was married in Coffee County, Kans., to Margaret Quelch, who owns some valuable town property in Meredosia. Mr. Hamman and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Besides Edward, mentioned above, the other children are: Lizzie, wife of D. E. Curry; Mary, wife of George Butcher, and Amos, a practicing physician at Longbeach, Cal. In politics Mr. Hamman is a stanch Republican.

HARKER, Joseph Ralph , President of the Illinois Woman's College, Jacksonville, Ill., was born in the County of Durham, England, June 30, 1853, a son of Ralph D. and Mary (Young) Harker. The mother died in 1889, the father being still alive (1905). There were eight children in his father's family, the male members of which found occupation in coal mining. The entire family came to America in 1871 and settled in Duquoin, Ill., where they continued the occupation of coal mining. The subject of this sketch at that time was eighteen years of age, and, having left school at the age of ten years, had had no opportunity for study in the meantime. He continued to work in the mines until 1874, studying during the summer months when the mines were closed. He obtained good books and set to work in earnest to secure an education. Later he took up Latin and Greek, being assisted in his work by a school friend, and three years of hard work in the winter and study in the summer qualified him, by 1874, to teach a colored school in Duquoin. He then determined to become a teacher by profession, and abandon altogether the life of a miner. In the fall of 1874 he secured the principalship of a school at De Soto, Ill., where he remained two years. He then moved to Beardstown, where he taught one year; then in Meredosia, Morgan County, for four years. His next school was in Waverly, where he taught until 1884, when he was called by President Tanner of Illinois College to take charge of Whipple Academy, where his success was such as to increase the number of pupils from 40 to 138. He taught as Institute Instructor of Teachers for nine years in Perry County, and for several years in Sangamon and Morgan Counties, and his services have been in constant demand for the past twenty-five years. His first connection with college was as a member of the college faculty, taking up his work at the Whipple Academy. Here he continued his studies privately, with the result that he graduated from Illinois College in the class of '88 with the degree of A. B. In 1891 he secured the Master's degree, and that of Doctor of Philosophy in 1893.

In 1893 Doctor Harker assumed his present position as President of the Illinois Female College, now known as the Woman's College. Here he has been very successful and the number of pupils and the efficiency of administration have increased the patronage marvelously. During the past five years large additions to the college buildings have been made in consequence, and in 1900 three acres of ground were added to the college property, and improvements both to the buildings and grounds have been made to the extent of $80,000 within the past five years. The college has now a total enrollment of over 300 students; and the people of Jacksonville certainly owe much to Dr. Harker for the development of their institution.

On September 6, 1876, Joseph Ralph Harker was married to Miss Susan Amass, a native of England, who came to America with her brother. She died January 7, 1880, leaving one daughter named Maude, now the wife of Albert C. Metcalf, of Kewanee, Ill. In December, 1882, Dr. Harker married Fannie E. Wackerle, of Meredosia, daughter of Dr. W. J. Wackerle. Six children were born of this union, namely: Bessie, Jennie, Ralph, Louis, Albert and Ruth.

Dr. Harker is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in 1904 was a delegate from the Illinois Conference to the General Conference, which met in Los Angeles, Cal. Politically he is a Republican.

HARNEY, George Hiram, who is successfully engaged in the harness business in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born in that county, February 6, 1871. He is a son of Milton Miller and Margaret Ann (Wyatt) Harney, natives of Alabama. Milton Harney's parents migrated from Kentucky to Ohio in 1830, and settled in Morgan County in 1832. His wife's parents came from Morgan County. In boyhood Mr. Harney received his mental training in the district schools. He subsequently learned the trade of a harness maker, and in 1894 engaged in that business at Woodson, Ill., where he was located for four and a half years. He then passed three years in Waverly, Ill., and thence moved to Jacksonville, where he has since been engaged in the harness business, with profitable results.

On February 17, 1892, Mr. Harney was united in marriage with Mary E. McCurley, a daughter of James and Sarah Jane (Edwards) McCurley, by whom he has had one child - Paul Denham, who was born August 23, 1899.

Politically, Mr. Harney takes an independent stand, and casts his vote irrespective of partisan considerations. His religious faith is that of the Christian Church, in which he holds the office of Deacon; he served in 1901-'04 as Assistant Superintendent of the South Side Mission Sunday school. He is a man of high character, diligent in business, and enjoys the confidence of all who have made his acquaintance.

HASTINGS, Lambert , farmer and stock-raiser, residing in Jacksonville, Ill., was born at St. Johnsbury, Vt., March 23, 1842, a son of Joel and Emily (Knapp) Hastings. Both his parents were descended from ancient and prominent families of English ancestry, who located in New England. Joel Hastings, who was born November 8, 1811, was for several years the owner of an extensive foundry and machine shop in Vermont, which he conducted until the failure of the business. The extent of his operations may be judged by the fact that he employed 100 men in the industry. The decline in his prosperity impelled him to seek a home in the West, where he might recoup his fallen fortunes. In 1855 he therefore left Vermont for Illinois, and locating in Madison County, engaged in farming. In 1862 he brought his family to Morgan County, with which it has since been identified. The last five years of his active life were devoted to the insurance business. He attained the age of eighty-two years, and throughout his long life retained the confidence and respect of all with whom he was associated. He married in his native State, September 20, 1837, and raised a family of four children, namely: Charles L., Eleanor (wife of Charles Fowler), Harriet and Lambert.

Lambert Hastings attended the public schools of Vermont until he had reached the age of thirteen years, when he accompanied his parents and their family to Illinois. His youth in this State was devoted to the assistance of his father upon the farm in Madison County. Upon arriving at maturity he continued this vocation on his own responsibility, and has since devoted all his energies to agricultural pursuits, combined with stock-raising and kindred enterprises, with the exception of a brief period when he was employed in a sales stable in Jacksonville. He has made a specialty, in late years, of dealing in hay, buying and selling large quantities annually. He now rents 240 acres of fine farming land in Morgan County, located in Township 15, Range 10, for two or three years renting about 1,300 acres. An idea of the magnitude of his stock operations may be gleaned from the fact that at one time he had upward of 700 head of stock on his land. He has also dealt extensively in horses.

In politics, Mr. Hastings is a stanch Republican, actively interested in the welfare of the party measures which he believes to be promulgated for the best interests of the whole people; but he has never sought public office, though in 1898, at the request of his friends, he was a candidate for the nomination for Sheriff. In religion he is an attendant upon the services of the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church, of which his parents were members. On October 6, 1897, he was united in marriage with Mrs. Eliza A. Self, daughter of Robert and Catharine (Kennedy) McAllister. She was born in Morgan County, December 13, 1853. In 1840 her parents came from Mercer County, Ky., to Morgan County, her father dying there in 1863, and her mother, in 1898. By her marriage with George P. Self, son of Harvey and Sarah (Abraham) Self, Mrs. Hastings became the mother of five children, namely: Claude O., India I., Harry P., Harvey H., and James F. Harry died at the age of two years, and James at the age of nineteen.

Mr. Hastings has recently erected a modern residence in the southern suburbs of Jacksonville, but still personally superintends the operation of his farm. He is highly regarded as a type of the best citizenship of Morgan County, and can always be depended upon to assist in the advancement of those movements inspired by a desire to promote the welfare of the community.

HAYDEN, Charles Leslie, Circuit Clerk and Recorder of Morgan County, Jacksonville, Ill., is well educated, popular and able, and has been tried and never found wanting by the public for a period of over a decade. He was born in East Cleveland, Ohio, May 1, 1844, the son of Amos Sutton and Sarah Merrick (Ely) Hayden. Alfred Ely, the maternal grandfather served in the War of 1812, and migrated from Massachusetts to Ohio in 1820. The father was a native of Youngstown, Ohio - date of birth September 17, 1813 - and the mother of Springfield, Mass., born November 29, 1816. Amos Sutton Hayden, a clergyman of the Christian Church, was President of the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute for seven years from 1850. From East Cleveland the family had removed to Hiram, Portage County, Ohio, and in 1858, they located at Hopedale, Harrison County, that State, where for two years Prof. Hayden served as President of the McNeely Normal Institute, In 1860 he returned to East Cleveland.

Charles L. Hayden was therefore reared in an atmosphere of culture and higher education. He received his early mental training at Hiram, Ohio, while his father was at the head of the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute. But the boy was naturally active and practical, rather than scholarly, and after taking a business course at Bryant & Stratton's College, Cleveland, he indulged in a short period of good physical training on a farm. Like other youth of full blood and patriotic instincts, at the outbreak of the War of the Rebellion it was with the greatest difficulty that he could be held in check. Finally after he had passed his eighteenth year, in August, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, First Regiment Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery, and served with manly credit in the Army of the Cumberland, until his honorable discharge June 20, 1865.

After the war Mr. Hayden returned to his home in East Cleveland, and resumed his farming operations, which he continued after his removal to Minonk, Woodford County, Ill., in February, 1867. Here he was married December 22, 1869 to Leanah M., the second daughter of Rev. Charles O. and Mary (Eades) Rowe, her father also being a minister of the Christian denomination. Mr. Hayden engaged in agriculture in the vicinity of Minonk until 1884, when he located at Washburn, Ill., and conducted a hotel until September, 1890. The latter date marks his removal to Jacksonville.

Mr. Hayden's record as a public official commences with his election as Constable in 1894, his political constituents being Republicans. But it was soon discovered that his mental caliber and his broad business education, both in college and in the world of practice, fitted him for higher and more responsible official duties. In November, 1896, he was therefore elected to the office of Circuit Clerk and Recorder of Morgan County, and filled the position with such general satisfaction that he was reelected in November, 1900, and November 1904.

Mr. And Mrs. Charles L. Hayden have been the parents of four children: Ethel D., born November 29, 1871; Edith, May 23, 1873 (died in infancy); Frank Leslie, May 3, 1894 (also died an infant) and Lois R., March 22, 1894, and adopted June 10, 1897. Amos S. Hayden, the father of the subject, died in September, 1880; his mother, in January, 1903. Mrs. Hayden's father, Rev. Charles O. Rowe, passed away at Laramie, Wyo., in 1894, his wife having preceded him in 1851, dying in Morgan County.

Charles L. Hayden has been a member of the Christian Church for nearly half a century, joining it on his fifteenth birthday, at Hopedale, Harrison County, Ohio. He was one of the pioneers of the Grand Army of the Republic, being mustered into the patriotic fraternity in 1868. His initiation into Masonry was with the Robt. Morris Lodge, No. 247, A. F. & A. M., and in 1891 he affiliated with Harmony Lodge, No. 3, having held its secretaryship since 1900.

HEIMLICH, David T. , formerly the proprietor of a fine barber shop in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., but later widely known as a poultry expert, was born in the village of Geimmeldingen, Rhenish Bavaria, December 3, 1853, the son of Michael Heimlich and his wife Christina, both natives of Rhenish Bavaria. In May, 1860, David T. Heimlich came to the United States with his parents, landing at New Orleans. Thence the family went to St. Louis, where David obtained employment for one year in the Government Arsenal, and afterward in Dr. Coyle's patent medicine laboratory, where he remained until 1867. In that year he removed to Springfield, Ill., to learn the barber's trade with his only brother, John. While thus engaged he took advantage of the opportunity afforded by the German Lutheran Parochial School, and also at intervals attended a night school. In October, 1869, he removed to Jacksonville, and after being employed at his trade by several persons, formed a partnership with H. Frank Strickling, which lasted three and one-half years. Mr. Heimlich then carried on the business successfully until October 1, 1904, when he sold it to Cully & Ross.

In the fall of 1883, Mr. Heimlich became interested in poultry culture. He spent much time in investigating the matter and read all the publications devoted to the subject. The results of his research soon became manifest, and since 1890 he has enjoyed almost a national reputation as a poultry expert. His services have been in demand by associations in fourteen different States and in Canada, as a judge of their most important poultry exhibits, and he has often been recalled on like occasions. Requests for his services during the season are more numerous than he can accept. At the St. Louis exposition in 1904, he was one of the twenty poultry judges selected out of 285 who had made application, and the only successful applicant of the eight candidates from Illinois. Mr. Heimlich is a regular and highly appreciated contributor to the several poultry magazines and his articles on poultry topics are in great demand, widely copied and quoted. He is a member of the Executive Committee at Large in the national legislative body of the American Poultry Association, and also Vice-President and a member of the Executive Committee of the Barred and White Plymouth Rock Club, a national organization. He is a broadminded and diligent religious student, and after attending a three years' course of lectures and sermons under Rev. D. F. Howe, was elected to the Board of Stewards at their first quarterly conference, and has since served in various capacities on the church board.

In 1875 Mr. Heimlich was one of the first sixteen, who, under Capt. William Harrison, organized the Morgan County Cadets, as Company F, Fifth Regiment Illinois State Militia. He served three years as Corporal and his service covered the period of the memorable strike disturbances at St. Louis, in 1877.

On January 2, 1879, Mr. Heimlich was united in marriage with Jennie C. Richmond, a daughter of James Madison and Sarah (Nixon) Richmond, and born near Canton, Ohio. Three children have resulted from this union, namely: Laura L., born October 16, 1880; Ida F., born January 7, 1881; and Edgar C., born September 3, 1883.

In politics Mr. Heimlich is connected with the Socialistic Labor party. At first he was independent, leaning toward the Republicans. Party methods, however, became repugnant to him. In 1896 he voted the Democratic ticket, but his subsequent study of political, social and economic problems resulted in his present partisan attitude. In 1902 he was the Socialist Labor party candidate for Mayor of Jacksonville, and received sufficient votes to give his party official recognition at the next election.

Fraternally, Mr. Heimlich has been a member of Urania Lodge, No. 243, I.O.O.F., since 1874, and was twice honored with the office of Noble Grand. He is also a member of Ridgely Encampment, No. 9, I.O.O.F., in which he is a Past Grand officer.

HEINL, Frank J., who is engaged in the real estate and loan business in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., and is one of the most prominent and popular men in that city, was born in Terre Haute, Ind., August 24, 1867, a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Francois) Heinl, who located at Jacksonville in 1870, and are still residents of that city. Joseph Heinl, the father, is a nurseryman and florist.

Frank J. Heinl received his mental training in the public and high schools, and was afterward associated with his father in business until 1894, when he became connected with public affairs. He is a member of the Illinois State Historical Society, Secretary of the Morgan County Historical Society, a life member of the Illinois State Horticultural Society, and a member of the Literary Union. Politically, he is an active and influential Republican. In 1894 he was elected County Clerk of Morgan County, and was reelected in 1898. In 1904 he was elected to the Forty-fourth General Assembly of Illinois, of which he was an active and influential member.

Fraternally, Mr. Heinl is affiliated with the A.F.& A.M., belonging to Harmony Lodge, No. 3; Jacksonville Chapter; Hospitaler Commandery; Mohammed Temple, Peoria; and Peoria Consistory (thirty-second degree). He is identified with Urania Lodge, No. 243, I.O.O.F., and Ridgely Encampment; and is now High Priest of the Grand Encampment of Illinois. He is also a member of Jacksonville Lodge, No. 152, K. of P. Mr. Heinl is unmarried. He is a man whose excellent qualities of head and heart have attracted to him hosts of friends, by whom he is held in cordial regard.

HELLENTHAL, Michael, who has long been engaged with successful results in the manufacture of carriages in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., and is one of the most successful and highly esteemed members of the community, is a son of Adam and Persinthia (Crescent) Hellenthal. He was left fatherless at the age of three and, as his mother died when he was fifteen years old, he lived thereafter with an aunt until he reached maturity. In early life he learned the carriage maker's trade with A. Allison, of Peoria, Ill., with whom he spent three years. In 1866 he started in business for himself in Jacksonville, where he has since been located. His work includes all kinds of painting and trimming, and the manufacture of fine carriages. Until 1892 he made only wagons and buggies, and is now one of the oldest business men, actively engaged, in Jacksonville.

In 1862 Mr. Hellenthal enlisted at Chicago in Company C, Eighty-second Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was there mustered into service. He took part in the battle of Chancellorsville, was captured at Gettysburg, and confined for two months in Belle Isle Prison. After being exchanged and returned to his Company, he participated in the battles of Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mountain. His regiment was then sent to the relief of Rosecrans, and afterward marched to Knoxville, Tenn., to relieve Burnside. He fought at Resaca, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek and Atlanta; followed Sherman in the March to the Sea, his last battle being at Bentonville, N. C., and participated in the Grand Review, at Washington. He returned to Chicago, June 9, 1865, where he was mustered out of service. Proceeding directly to Jacksonville, he has since been identified with the city as one of its leading business men.

On November 14, 1867, Mr. Hellenthal was united in marriage with Magdalena Minter, by whom he has had nine children, namely: Charles; Annette (Mrs. T. E. Laurie); Margaret (Mrs. J. H. Coleman); Lucilla (Mrs. J. J. Schafer); Edward, a soldier in the Spanish-American War; Catherine, who resides at home; William, who assists his father in the carriage business; Walter, who lives with his parents, and Roy, who is a student. Politically, Mr. Hellenthal is a Republican; religiously, a member of the Presbyterian Church, and fraternally, connected with the G.A.R. and I.O.O.F. of Jacksonville. The record of Michael Hellenthal, both in war and peace, is of the most commendable order, and will prove a source of perpetual pride to his posterity.

HENDERSON, Amos, who is one of the oldest and most prominent citizens of Jacksonville, and Morgan County, Ill., as he is also one of the worthiest, was born in that city, November 20, 1840, the son of Smiley H. and Elizabeth Henderson, natives of Ross County, Ohio, who came to Greene County, Ill., in 1824, before Morgan County was surveyed. Smiley Henderson passed through Jacksonville in 1826, when that city was being platted, on his return from the Indian trading station of Beardstown. During the same year he made another trip to Jacksonville and for $75 purchased the corner lot where the opera house now stands. There he engaged in the packing business, together with Col. Dunlap and Ira Davenport, and continued thus for several years. He then opened a general store, which he conducted for a number of years, or until he retired from active life.

Amos Henderson received his early mental training in the public schools, and subsequently graduated from Berean College, after which he read law for three years with Judge Berdan and Richard Yates. In 1861 he made a trip through the new territory of Minnesota, which was then being opened. He visited St. Paul when that city was being laid out, and hunted throughout the Territory. On the site of Minneapolis stood only five slab shanties. He returned to Jacksonville, and the day after his arrival, in July, 1862, enlisted in Company B of the One Hundred and First Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. In that regiment he was engaged mostly in skirmishing; was mustered out in 1864, and reenlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Thirty-third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in which he served until the end of the war. On December 20, 1862, he was captured at Holly Springs, Miss., and released by Grant's forces. After the war Mr. Henderson returned to Jacksonville, and for several years conducted a grocery and confectionery on the corner of West State Street and the Public Square, being afterward engaged in the real estate and insurance business.

On October 16, 1866, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage with Emeline Miller, a daughter of Henry Miller, who, at an early period, migrated from Kentucky to Morgan County. Two children resulted from this union, namely: Herbert J., born in 1867, and engaged in the printing business in Jacksonville; and Ruth, born in 1870, now the wife of Clarence Depew, who is associated with his brother-in-law Herbert Henderson, in the same line of business. Mr. Henderson is now serving his twenty-fifth year as Justice of the Peace. Fraternally he is a member of Illini Lodge, No. 4, I. O. O. F., and in 1876 was elected Grand Master of the order in the State. In 1878-79 he served with J. H. Oberly as Grand Representative of the State. He is also a member of the G. A. R.


    
HENDERSON, Jackson, one of the most widely known and highly respected agriculturists of Morgan County, residing in Literberry, Morgan County, was born on his father's farm half a mile southeast of Arcadia (now owned by Mr. Henderson's younger brother, M. M. Henderson), July 24, 1827, and is a son of David G. and Mary (Henderson) Henderson. David G. Henderson was born in Hampshire County, Va., August 23, 1796, and was a son of John and Phoebe (Gano) Henderson, who were representatives of two of the oldest and most highly honored families of the Old Dominion. John Henderson was a tailor by trade, having chosen that vocation on account of his lameness. A few years after the birth of David G., the family removed to Pennsylvania, and thence to Ohio, finally locating in Pickaway County, that State. On that farm the son David was reared to manhood, attending the early schools of the neighborhood. At the age of eight or nine years he had been bound out to Jacob Ersom, a farmer on the south branch of the Potomac. At the age of twenty-six he left his home in Pickaway County and was married to Mary Henderson, his cousin, the daughter of David Henderson, a pioneer of the county named. Having determined to remove to Illinois, of the wealth of those prairies he had heard much, in 1824 he started with a four-horse wagon for this State. Reaching Greene County, he located for the winter on the banks of Apple Creek. There were no roads in Illinois at that time, the only paths across the country being narrow Indian trails, and the settlers along their route informed them that they could not travel in the daytime, on account of the great swarms of green-head flies, which would kill their horses. The groves, about fifteen miles apart, were the resorts of all emigrants. Upon approaching their first stopping place, Hickory Grove, their horses were covered with blood as the result of the attack of these pests. At sundown they resumed their journey, after a short time arriving at Linn Grove. With the exception of the howling of the wolves which surrounded their camp, they suffered no further discomforts during their journey. On this trip they remained one night at the residence of the Rev. John Greene, a true friend to all emigrants and pioneers, and on August 25, 1824, they arrived at Apple Creek, near the present site of Whitehall. Here Mr. Henderson found three uncles who had preceded him. The cabin occupied by the family that winter was a rough structure such as few farmers now would offer shelter for their stock; but although it had neither floor nor loft, it served, in a measure, to protect them from the severe cold of the winter. For forty days and nights it did not thaw, and the sufferings of these pioneers may well be imagined. That fall Mr. Henderson occupied a portion of the North Prairie, and planted five acres in wheat, hoping to have white bread during the next season, instead of corn, which, for a long time, had been the only grain from which they had made flour. A pioneer settler named North, who had a small mill and still house, permitted the early settlers to grind their grain there, they paying him twelve and a half cents per bushel for the privilege.

On April 1, 1826, Mr. Henderson started for Morgan County, passing through Rattlesnake Spring (now Winchester) and the prairie where Lynnville is now located, to Swinnerton's Point and to James Deaton's home, which was located in the timber. As a destructive storm of the preceding year had blown down many trees along the route, Mr. Henderson was compelled to cut his way through with an ax much of the way. On the evening of Sunday, April 2d, he arrived at Jersey Prairie, and began looking about for a permanent home. Moneyless and friendless, mr. Henderson entered upon an era of hardship which the present generation cannot comprehend. As soon as possible he purchased of Augustus Smith a cabin, for which he gave a cow valued at $10. Mr. Henderson now possessed two cows and two ponies. Renting of Thomas Barston a tract of land, he planted some corn and cotton. The grain crop proving a failure at harvest time he started for Greene County to look after the wheat crop, traveling about a distance of over forty miles, with his sickle in his hand. Threshing this grain in the old-fashioned way, by the trampling of horses, he carried it to Alton, where it was ground by a treadmill. This furnished the first white flour which the family had eaten since they had left Ohio. All the clothing worn by the family, after that which they brought with them was discarded, was made by hand from cloth spun from the flax and cotton; the coarse flax being used for trousers and the finer, for shirts. Night after night Mr. Henderson would sit and pick the seeks from the cotton by hand, while his wife would spin and weave to meet the requirements of her family. For coloring the cloth indigo was raised and prepared by hand, a dye-vat being made by hollowing a large log.

Mr. Henderson immediately took an active interest in public affairs in Morgan County. Soon after arriving in the precinct he was elected to the office of Constable, serving in this capacity for eight years. His eminent fitness for official life having become evident to all, he was then elected Justice of the Peace, filling that position for over sixteen years. For over twenty-eight years he served as Township Treasurer, and in 1847 he was elected County Commissioner, holding that position for a long period.

"Squire Henderson," as he was popularly known throughout Morgan County, was one of the most striking figures of the pioneer period. A man of great integrity, strength of character and a disposition which prompted him to accomplish everything possible for the betterment of the condition of the whole people, he found many opportunities for assisting materially in the promotion of the public welfare. No citizen of his day was more highly honored than he; and this brief record of his life, preserved forever in the annals of the county, forms no unimportant chapter in the history of the early development of Morgan County.

Reared amid typical pioneer surroundings, Jackson Henderson early became imbued with those principles of thrift and industry which were so characteristic of his father and his grandfather. The house in which he was born was a one-room cabin built of round, unhewn logs. It had a puncheon floor, one window and one door, the latter of land-split clapboards. The first school which he attended was taught by Johnathan Atherton, and was located about three-quarters of a mile from his home. Its architecture was very similar to that of his home - built of round, unhewn logs, with slab seats, puncheon floor, and plank desks running along the walls. Here he received instruction during the winter months, but the remainder of the year he assisted his father in the important work of clearing his land and developing a farm out of the wilderness prairie. He remained upon his father's farm until his marriage, which occurred December 24, 1847, and united him with Dianah Petefish, daughter of George Petefish, one of the pioneer farmers of Morgan County. (An extended sketch of the Petefish family will be found on other pages of this volume.) In 1849 he purchased a small farm near that upon which he was raised, where he remained one year. He then purchased 33 acres in the same neighborhood, which he operated for three years. In 1852 he disposed of this property and removed to Louisa County, Iowa, where he purchased 160 acres of land at $5 per acre. Upon this he erected a log cabin, one of the first built in that part of Iowa, of which he was one of the earliest pioneers. Indians were numerous in the Territory in those days, and for several winters they hunted and fished in the vicinity of his home; but they were peaceably inclined and gave him no trouble. In 1862 he returned to Morgan County and purchased a farm of 120 acres, the nucleus of his present farm of 460 acres. Here he was successfully engaged in general farming and stock-raising until his removal to Literberry March 7, 1905.

In politics Mr. Henderson was originally a Whig, casting his first presidential vote for William Henry Harrison. Upon the organization of the Republican party, he entered its ranks, being one of the first men in Morgan County to align himself with that organization and cast his vote for General John C. Fremont. Though a stanch supporter of the men and measures of that great party, he was never sought nor consented to fill political office. He became one of the charter members of Arcadia Lodge, No. 92, I. O. O. F., which was organized in 1852, and has passed all the chairs and been Representative to the Grand Lodge.

Mr. Henderson's wife died in 1863, leaving the following named children: Minerva, who died at the age of fourteen years; Commodore Perry, who resides upon a farm located near that of his father; Phoebe A., wife of Richard Gudgell, residing in Iowa; Mary E., who died at the age of twenty; and Ada M., wife of John Myers, residing near Literberry, Ill. On October 24, 1865, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage with Mrs. Martha E. Ray, widow of James K. Ray, who was killed at the battle of Dallas, Ga., May 15, 1863, the day on which Mrs. Dianah P. Henderson, Mr. Henderson's first wife, died. Mrs. Henderson is a daughter of Ira Henderson, a native of Morgan County and a son of David W. Henderson, who migrated to Illinois from Ohio in 1824, taking up Government land in Morgan County. By her marriage to Mr. Ray she became the mother of one son, Charles T., now a resident of California. Four children have been born of her union with Mr. Henderson: Nora, wife of Lewis Maul, a farmer near Arcadia; Fred J., a farmer near Arcadia; Allen, who died at the age of twelve years; and one son, who died in infancy. Mrs. Henderson is an active worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church at Arcadia.

The life of Jackson Henderson has been such as to entitle him to recognition as one of the conspicuous landmarks of Morgan County. Inheriting from his ancestors those strong and striking characteristics which were so noticeable in the character of his father, he has made the most of the opportunities which have presented themselves to him, and has won an honorable success solely by reason of his own energy, industry and perseverance. Throughout his entire career he has been inspired by the highest motives. He has never shirked his duty as a citizen, and has been a generous contributor of his time and means for the advancement of all worthy enterprises calculated to elevate the material, social, moral and intellectual status of the community.


  
HENDERSON, Madison M., one of the oldest and most favorably known residents of Morgan County, Ill., where he is successfully engaged in farming near the village of Arcadia, was born August 24, 1838, on the homestead on which he now resides. He is a son of David G. and Mary Henderson, natives of the State of Virginia. David G. Henderson was one of the earliest settlers in Greene County, Ill., and later he and his family removed to Morgan County, where he resided until his death.

In boyhood Mr. Henderson received his mental training in the subscription schools of his neighborhood, and remained with his father until the latter's death, on January 16, 1882. He diligently applied himself to farming until May 28, 1862, when he enlisted in Jacksonville, for three months in a company under the command of Capt. John W. King, of that city. The command was ordered to Camp Butler, near Springfield, Ill., where it was mustered in as Company A, Sixty-eighth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. It remained at that point, engaged ind drilling and guard duty, until July 3, 1862, when the regiment was transported to Washington, D. C., and thence, by boat, to Alexandria, Va., where it went into camp on Arlington Heights, the site of the present National Soldiers' Cemetery. After remaining there for a time, the regiment marched back to Alexandria, where its term of service expired. It then returned to Washington and was again transported to Camp Butler, where it was mustered out of service about the last of September, 1862. Mr. Henderson is the owner of 160 acres of land on which he conducts general farming with satisfactory results.

On December 22, 1879, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage with Lodoska D. Robinson, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Robinson. Mrs. henderson died fourteen months after her marriage. On November 23, 1887, Mr. Henderson wedded Margaret M. Deatherage, who was born near Waverly, Ill., and is a daughter of William and Nancy Harrison (Gunwell) Deatherage. To this union one child, Lester C., was born January 1, 1891.

In politics, Mr. henderson is a supporter of the Republican party. He has served as Township Trustee for twelve years. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the I. O. O. F. Mrs. henderson is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Henderson is a man of high character and correct life, and is respected by all who enjoy his acquaintance.

HENEGHAN, James, who is successfully engaged in business in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., as proprietor and operator of the Brook Mills, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, March 12, 1865. He is a son of Patrick and Mary (Riley) Heneghan, natives also of County Mayo, his father coming to the United States in 1870 and locating first in New York. One year afterward he moved to Greene County, Ill., where he died in 1890. His widow is still living and resides with her son, James, in Jacksonville.

When he was a child, James Heneghan accompanied his parents to the United States, and after receiving his mental training in the district schools of Greene County, Ill., engaged for some time in office work. In 1881, he was employed by Henry C. Yaeger, a miller at Kane, Ill., with whom he remained for five years. After a year spent at Anna, Ill., in the same occupation, in 1887 he came to Jacksonville and for five years was employed with Scott & Chambers, at the "Old Morgan Mills". In April, 1892, Mr. Heneghan entered into partnership in the milling line with William Watson, under the firm name of Watson & Heneghan, who erected the Brook Mills, at the corner of South Main and Anna Streets, Jacksonville. The firm conducted a rapidly growing business in the manufacture of the best brands of flour. Mr. Watson died April 6, 1903, and Mr. Heneghan purchased the widow's interest in the concern and has since conducted it alone, with marked success. The "White Lily" is his leading and best known brand of flour. He also has a large trade in grain and feed. His business capacity is recognized by all who know him, and he enjoys the confidence and respect of all his patrons.

On April 28, 1897, Mr. Heneghan was joined in wedlock with Leah J. Schmalz, a daughter of F. F. Schmalz, a prominent grocer of Jacksonville. To their union have been born four children, namely: Mildred Mary, born February 20, 1898; George Phillip, born April 26, 1899; Frederick James, born October 23, 1901; and Walter Watson, born June 22, 1903.

In politics, Mr. Heneghan is an unswerving supporter of the Democratic party. Fraternally, he is identified with Lodge No. 912, M. W. A.; Jacksonville Council, No. 868, K. of C.; Jacksonville Council, No. 182, United Commercial Travelers; Lodge No. 237, B. P. O. E.; and Post "O" of the T. P. A.

HIERMAN, Theodore E., farmer and stockman, actively engaged in the operation of his fine farm of 274 acres near the bluffs northeast of Meredosia village, was born on his father's farm in Cass County, Ill., July 1, 1862, the son of Bernard and Mary (Seigemeyer) Hierman, both natives of Germany. The father was a painter by trade and first settled in Beardstown, where he followed that occupation, but subsequently engaged in farming.

Theodore Hierman received his education in the schools of Cass County, and was married March 16, 1887, to Lucinda Hackman, daughter of William and Elizabeth Hackman, farmers in Cass County. Of this marriage two children were born, viz.: Aldo and Laverna. After his marriage Theodore Hierman moved to the farm where he now lives. It was at that time the property of his wife's father, who died January 31, 1905, his wife following a few days later, February 16, 1905-the couple having lived together for sixty years. At their death the farm was inherited by Mrs. Hierman. Mr. and Mrs. Hierman are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and attend the McKendree Chapel near their home, of which Mr. Hierman was Sunday-school Superintendent. In politics he is a Republican and for two terms was a Director on the School Board. Fraternally, he is a member of the Court of Honor.

HINE, Frank, one of the oldest and most worthy citizens of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., now living in retirement, was born in New Haven, Conn., July 2, 1832. He is a son of Thomas and Harriet (Cole) Hine, natives respectively of Seymour and New Haven, both in Connecticut. Thomas Hine was born April 21, 1801, and followed the occupation of a carriage maker until 1852, when he located in Morgan County. His wife was born June 6, 1803, her father having served as a musician in the Revolutionary War. On arriving in Morgan County, Thomas Hine bought a farm three miles west of Jacksonville. Some years before his death he relinquished active work, spending his winters in Jacksonville, and his summers in Martha's Vineyard, Mass., where he died in September, 1884. His wife passed away at New Haven, in 1876.

In boyhood, Frank Hine received his early mental training in the public schools of Ohio, to which State his parents had taken him in 1838. At the age of fifteen years he became a salesman at Akron, Ohio, and was thus employed for two years. His parents then moved to LaFayette, Ind., where he continued for three years in the same occupation. In 1852 the family located in Morgan County, the young man working on the home farm until the fall of 1862. At that period he was appointed Chief Clerk in the Illinois Institution for the Deaf, and served ably and faithfully in that capacity until 1893. During this long period of thirty-one years Mr. Hine discharged the duties of this important position with zeal, energy and fidelity. After leaving the institution he traveled for two years, and then retired to live with his son, Frank, on a small farm east of Jacksonville.

On December 18, 1860, Mr. Hine was united in matrimony with Jane Bradshaw, of Hancock County, Ill., a daughter of Joel and Catherine (Dixon) Bradshaw. Three children were the issue of this union, namely: Harry Clinton, who was born October 20, 1861, and died April 22, 1872; Hattie Catherine, born January 14, 1863, died December 13, 1894; and Frank, before mentioned, who was born June 1, 1865.

Politically, Mr. Hine is a supporter of the Republican party. In fraternal circles, he is identified with the A.O.U.W. Religiously he is a member of the State Street Presbyterian Church of Jacksonville, in which he has been a Ruling Elder for fifteen years, and was Sunday-school teacher and Superintendent for a considerable period. Such lives as that of Mr. Hine are wellsprings of salutary influence in the community which is so fortunate as to harbor and honor them.


HINRICHSEN, William Henry, Hon. , retired editor and ex-member of Congress, residing at Alexander, was born at Franklin, Morgan County, Ill., May 27, 1850, a son of Edward S. and Nancy Ann (Wyatt) Hinrichsen. His father was born in the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg, Germany, of Norwegian descent. In youth he became involved in some revolutionary movement among the younger generation, many of whom were executed for treason. He had fled to Hamburg to escape the punishment for his escapade, the importance of which from a political standpoint hitherto had not impressed him, and an attempt was made by the Mecklenburg government to secure his extradition. But his employers, sympathizing with him and realizing the innocence of his intentions, placed him aboard a ship in the capacity of supercargo and he embarked for a long voyage. After visiting various points on the Mediterranean, he sailed for New Orleans, La. His vessel was wrecked on the Unhappy Island, off the south coast of Florida, and after reaching the mainland he went to Philadelphia, Pa., from which point he communicated with his family in the fatherland. This was in 1835 or 1836. He afterward became court interpreter in that city, having become known as the master of several languages. While in Pennsylvania he assisted in building the Harrisburg & Gettysburg Railroad, and afterward was employed for awhile in Pittsburg, Pa. About 1839 he came to Illinois, and, settling at Franklin, soon became identified with the Wabash Railroad, then known as the Northern Cross. Forty years of his life were spent in the service of this company. In 1853 he removed to a farm south of Alexander which he had purchased, and in 1857 erected the residence in Alexander which is now occupied by his son, living there until his death in 1891. His wife died in 1900. Mr. Hinrichsen was well informed on all subjects of general interest, and was a man of public spirit. He and his wife became the parents of the following children: Mary Elizabeth, wife of Frederick George, of Los Angeles, Cal.; William H., of Alexander; Savillah T., of Lincoln, Ill.; Eugenia, wife of Dr. Harold W. Johnston, of Bloomington, Ind.; Edward S., Jr., of Alexander, who is connected with the U. S. Mail Service, and Mark F., who is engaged in mining in Mexico.

William H. Hinrichsen was educated in the public schools of Morgan County and the State University at Champaign, Ill., where he completed his studies in 1870. For some time after leaving college he was employed in various capacities at Alexander, principally as station agent for the Wabash Railroad and as a grain dealer. In 1871, at the age of twenty-one years, he was elected Justice of the Peace at Alexander. In the winter of 1874 he received an appointment as Deputy Sheriff under Irvin Dunlap and removed to Jacksonville to fulfill the duties of that office. For three terms of two years each he served in this capacity under Mr. Dunlap, and then, in 1880, was elected to the Shrievalty, holding the office for one term. In 1882, the last year of his incumbency, in company with George E. Doying, who was already a partner in the concern, he purchased the "Illinois Courier," a weekly newspaper published at Jacksonville. In the spring of 1883 they established a daily edition. In 1887, with Warren Case as a partner, they also purchased the "Quincy (Ill.) Herald," and founded the "Index," a legal publication issued from the office of the "Courier." In the meantime Mr. Hinrichsen removed to Quincy and edited the "Herald" of that city until 1890, when the partners sold the paper, and he returned to Jacksonville, intending to resume editorial charge of the "Courier." Just prior to his return, on the convening of the Thirty-seventh General Assembly (1891) he was elected Clerk of the Illinois House of Representatives, discharging the duties of the office for that term, about this time, having been chosen a member of the Democratic State Central Committee. In this capacity he actively participated in the campaign of 1892. During this period he visited every county in the State, engaged in the work of reorganizing the Democratic County Committees. In 1892 he was unanimously nominated by the Democratic State Convention for the office of Secretary of State, was elected, and served four years. After the election he disposed of his interest in the "Courier" to George E. Doying, who also bought the interest of Mr. Case. On January 1, 1895, Mr. Hinrichsen was chosen Chairman of the Democratic State Central Committee, of which he had been a member since 1888, and was at the head of the committee at the time when the Democracy of Illinois committed itself to free silver. It was Mr. Hinrichsen who invited William Jennings Bryan to Springfield for the purpose of addressing the convention of that year; and it was the speech that Mr. Bryan made on that occasion which resulted in the formulation of free silver principles by the Democracy of the State.

In 1896 Mr. Hinrichsen was elected a Delegate-at-Large to the National Democratic Convention at Chicago. The same year he received the nomination for Congress by the Democrats of the Sixteenth (now Twentieth) District, and he was elected by a majority of more than 6,000-about double the normal majority. Upon the expiration of his term in the House of Representatives he returned to his home in Alexander, where he has since devoted himself almost exclusively to literary work. In the meantime, however, he has had charge of the press bureau of the Democratic State organization nearly every year, having begun this work in 1888. In 1899, when John R. McLean was the Democratic candidate for Governor of Ohio, Mr. Hinrichsen was asked by Mr. McLean to assume editorial charge of the "Cincinnati Enquirer" during the campaign, which he did. In 1900 he acted as Traveling Manager of the National Democratic Committee, and in this capacity raised much of the funds for the conduct of the national campaign of that year.

Mr. Hinrichsen's literary work has attracted widespread attention in late years, especially throughout the East and Middle West. He has written a very large number of short stories, which have appeared in several of the magazines and leading city dailies. For four years he has contributed one short story to every Sunday issue of the "Chicago Inter-Ocean." He has also been a frequent contributor to the "Ten Story Book," "Wayside Tales," the "Red Book," the "Farmers' Magazine" of Springfield, Ill., the "Democratic Magazine," the "Chicago Chronicle," the "Chicago Tribune," and to various newspaper syndicates. He has also published a book of short stories, that have appeared of late years in the "Chicago Inter-Ocean"; a treatise on "Practical Politics," prepared for the "Globe Syndicate"; and a digest of the Australian ballot law (1891), the only publication of the kind in Illinois, which is now recognized as an authority by the courts of this State. Fraternally he is a member of the Odd Fellows, the Elks and the Knights of Pythias. He was reared in the M. E. Church, but his family are now identified with the Episcopal Church, in the work of which his wife is deeply interested.

On July 13, 1873, Mr. Hinrichsen was united in marriage with Louise Sparks, a daughter of John Sparks, one of the early settlers of Morgan County. Her mother was, in maidenhood, Elizabeth Bradshaw, a member of a prominent pioneer family of Morgan County. They are the parents of three children, as follows: Edward E., an engineer in the employ of the Inter-State Telephone Company, at Springfield, Ill.; Annie, residing at home, and Ernest in the employ of the Bell Telephone Company at Jacksonville. Miss Annie Hinrichsen possesses marked literary ability, and is the author of a large number of short stories which have appeared in leading magazines devoted to fiction. She is a member of the regular staff of writers for "Wayside Tales," and a regular contributor to the "Chicago Red Book."

HITT, Henry W., one of the oldest, most highly esteemed residents of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born on his father's farm, a few miles west of Jacksonville, in that part of Morgan County now included in Scott County, July 4, 1836. He is a son of Elisha B. and Sarah (Parker) Hitt, natives of Bourbon County, Ky., where the father was born in 1808, and the mother in 1818. Elisha B. Hitt, who through his mother was descended from a very prominent family, was a farmer by occupation. He settled in Morgan County in 1835. The place where he located is ten miles west of Jacksonville, and is now a part of Scott County. During the '50s he served two terms in the Legislature of Illinois. In 1865 he located on a farm a mile and a half west of Jacksonville and for a few years was interested in the livery business in that city. He died in 1881.

In boyhood Henry W. Hitt attended the country schools, after which he spent two years in Illinois College, two years in McKendree College, and completed his education in Millersburg, Ky. In 1858 he engaged in the mercantile business at Exeter, Ill., in which he continued for a few years, and then conducted a store at Merritt, Ill., moving thence to Jacksonville in 1887. Since that period he has spent a portion of his time in the livery business, and during the last eight years, from 1896 to January 1, 1905, was a deputy in the office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court. At the beginning of the Civil War, Mr. Hitt raised a company, of which he was elected Captain, it being mustered into the service as Company B, Twenty-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry.

Mr. Hitt has been twice married - first, on November 7, 1861, to Belle Stevenson, a native of Newark, N. J., and a daughter of William and Ann Stevenson. Three children have been born to them, namely: Elisha B., who was born on July 26, 1862, and id engaged in the livery business in Springfield, Ill.; Sallie, born November 29, 1866, who married Rev. Charles A. Crane, of Boston, Mass.; and Anna Lou, born January 4, 1869, who died at the age of twenty-two years. The mother of this family died in 1870. On January 28, 1874, Mr. Hitt was wedded to Lizzie Stevenson, who was born in Newark, N. J., a sister of his first wife.

In politics, Mr. Hitt is an Independent Democrat. Fraternally, he became a member of the Exeter Lodge, No. 424, A. F. & A. M., in 1865. He is also a member of the Jacksonville Chapter, R. A. M., and of Hospitaler Commandery, No. 3, K. T. From 1858 to 1887 he was affiliated with the I. O. O. F. Few men in Jacksonville are more widely known than Henry W. Hitt, and none more cordially regarded or more highly esteemed.

HODGES, Levi T., living on his farm near Meredosia, Morgan County, Ill., was born in the vicinity where he now resides, November 12, 1853, the son of Thomas and Susan (Burrus) Hodges, the mother being a native of Tennessee and the father of Ohio. Mrs. Hodges' father moved from Tennessee to Morgan County, becoming one of the earliest settlers in that locality. The elder Hodges bought land soon after coming to Morgan County, which by industry he developed into a valuable farm. He was married twice and had a family of ten children, but only two of the second marriage survive, viz.: Levi T. and his sister Emma, wife of Henry Eller. Mr. and Mrs. Eller are residents of New Mexico. Thomas Hodges, when he died in 1886, left a landed estate of 1,000 acres. Mrs. Hodges died in 1893.

Levi T. Hodges has been identified with farming all his life, his present real estate aggregating 235 acres. He has a pleasant home and a profitable farm. He was married January 17, 1875, to Samantha Perkins, daughter of Absalom Perkins, who was one of the early settlers of Morgan County. He and his wife have five children, viz.: Wilmer, who is engaged in the railroad business; George A., also a railroad man, who married Effie Stultz, with their three daughters residing in Decatur, Ill.; Ansel, who assists his father on the farm, where Olive Mabel, the only daughter, also resides, and Merle.

In order the better to educate his children, Levi T. Hodges took up his residence in the town of Meredosia in 1888, but returned to his farm in 1900. During his residence in Meredosia he was twice elected President of the Village Board, serving two full terms. He owns several pieces of town property. The family is affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Hodges is a Republican in political principles.

HOLKENBRINK, Ben J., who is a successful dealer in bicycles, and conducts a general repair shop for bicycles, guns, etc., in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born in Effingham County, Ill., October 28, 1875, a son of Anton and Anna (Sanders) Holkenbrink.

Mr. Holkenbrink started in this line in Jacksonville in 1901, together with George Wolke, under the firm name of George Wolke & Co., but later sold his interest to his partner, and became associated with his brother-in-law in the same business. He subsequently purchased the latter's interest and has since conducted the concern alone. He does all kinds of bicycle work, and repairs steam, gasoline and electric auto-machines and motorcycles.

In 1900 Mr. Holkenbrink was united in marriage with Rosetta Summers. Two children have resulted from this union namely: Marion Grace, born in June, 1901, and Benjamin, born November, 30, 1903.

In politics, Mr. Holkenbrink follows the fortunes of the Democratic party. Religiously, he was born and reared in the Catholic faith, and is a member of that church. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the M.W.A., and the Royal Arcanum. He is industrious, energetic and honest in the conduct of his business, and is favorably regarded by all who know him.

HOLMES, J. Stewart (deceased), formerly an extensive farmer and stock raiser in the vicinity of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born on his farm there August 26, 1836. He was a son of J. T. and Jane V. Holmes, natives of Kentucky. In boyhood our subject assisted his father on the homestead farm and attended the district school in his neighborhood, afterward pursuing a course of study in Illinois College. He then applied himself to farming on the family homestead, on which he made many fine improvements. Besides general farming he devoted his attention to stock-raising on an extensive scale. He was very successful in all his undertakings, and at the time of his death, June 14, 1880, was the owner of 444 acres of land, comprising the home farm.

On February 10, 1864, Mr. Holmes was united in marriage with Julia Hitt, a daughter of Jesse and Julia (Parker) Hitt, natives of Lexington Ky. Five children resulted from this union, namely: Sallie H., who was educated in the Jacksonville Female Academy; James T., who lives on the home farm; Jessie; Louisa Bernice; and Clarence, who died at the age of eighteen months. The parents of Mrs. Holmes came to Illinois by wagon in 1836, and settled on the place where Mrs. Holmes was born. Afterward her father made a trip to New Orleans with horses and mules, and there he died of typhoid fever. Her mother died when Mrs. Holmes was three years of age, and the latter was reared to maturity by her uncle, Elisha B. Hitt. After her husband's death, Mrs. Holmes remained on the home farm, ten miles east of Jacksonville until 1897, when she moved to Jacksonville, where she has since resided. She is a very estimable woman, possessing many graces of mind and heart and is the center of a most interesting family circle.

In politics Mr. Holmes was a supporter of the Republican party. His religious connections were with the Presbyterian Church, to which Mrs. Holmes also belongs. Fraternally, he was affiliated with the A. F. & A. M. As before mentioned, he was a successful man, and possessed those qualities which merit and insure substantial progress, notably, energy, perseverance and strict integrity.

HUGHES, Nathan J., M. D., physician and surgeon, Waverly, Ill., was born in New Columbus, Owen County, Ky., April 30, 1854, the son of William and Anna Eliza (Guill) Hughes, natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively. William Hughes was a farmer, and, like all agriculturists, would have preferred that his son should have followed the same avocation, but, after attending the schools near his home, the lad determined to enter the field of medicine. With this end in view he went to Cincinnati and entered the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, in 1879 securing his coveted degree of M. D.

Dr. Hughes began to practice his profession in Corinth, Ky., and for seven years remained to aid those who required his services, but at length he decided to removed to Illinois, and in 1886 located at Franklin, Morgan County, where he practiced until the fall of 1889. Desiring to take a post-graduate course, he then went to New York, where for twelve months he studied in the medical department of the University of the City of New York, receiving his degree from that college in 1890. For two years following this date he practiced his profession in the city of Chicago, but in 1892 located at Waverly, Ill., in which town he has since remained to attend to the large patronage which he has established and where his leading position is secure.

On December 18, 1890, Dr. Hughes was married to Nellie S. Sharp, of Cincinnati, and of this union five children have been born-those living being: Corinne Lillie Sharp, Lowell Nathaniel, Alfred Webb, and Donald L. Harold died at the age of fifteen months, in August, 1895.

In his political affiliations Dr. Hughes is a Prohibitionist. He is a Director in the First National Bank of Waverly. Among the organizations to which he belongs may be mentioned the American Medical Association; State and County Medical Associations; fraternally, to the K. of P. and A.F.&A.M. orders, and religiously, to the Methodist Church, of which latter body he has been a member since boyhood.





1906 index
County main page