1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
"Statistics of the Population of Morgan County By Townships, With Abstract of Agricultural Productions"
Prof. Edward A. Tanner, A.M., is a native of Waverly, Illinois. He is the youngest child of Jos. A. and Orra Tanner, who are old settlers in Morgan county, though formerly from Warren, Conn. The ancestors of the family were English. They removed to Morgan county about 1834, and located on a farm.
Professor Tanner entered Illinois College at the age of fifteen,
and graduated therefrom in 1857, receiving the degree of A. B., and three
years after the degree of A. M. was conferred upon him. After finishing
his collegiate course he taught in the public schools of Waverly and Jacksonville
for a period of three years. He was then called to the professorship of
Latin in Pacific University, Oregon, and filled that position four years.
In the meantime, having studied theology, he was licensed to preach by
the Congregational Association of Oregon in 1864. In 1865 he was appointed
Professor of Latin in Illinois College, which position he still holds,
and has also officiated four years as chaplain of the Insane Asylum at
Jacksonville. As an eminent educator, Prof. Tanner holds a front rank in
the state, being a scholar of fine classical culture and solid erudition.
He was married June 27, 1861, to Miss Marion L. Brown, daughter of Dr.
I. H. Brown of Waverly. Mrs. Tanner is a native of Waverly. Her parents
were formerly from Connecticut. Prof. Tanner and lady have had a family
of four children, one of whom is deceased. In politics, the Professor is
Judge William Thomas was born November 22, 1802, in Warren county (now Allen county) Kentucky. He commenced the study of his profession in the law office of Gov. James T. Morehead, continuing with Hon. J. R. Underwood, at Bowling Green, Ky. He obtained his license as an attorney July 5, 1823, and remained with Mr. Underwood till September, 1826, when he purchased a horse and traveled on horseback through portions of Indiana and Illinois to Jacksonville, where he had concluded to settle, arriving there October 12, 1826. His early written notes of the country through which he traveled and the condition of Jacksonville at that time, would make a volume of great interest to the present people of the west. At that time, Jacksonville contained only eleven families and eight transient persons boarding. The only tavern was kept by a Mr. Teft, with whom Judge Thomas for some time boarded. His first business was an engagement in the village school for three months, being the first term taught in a city where the lore and patience of thousands have since been taxed and tried. In the summer of 1827, as quartermaster-sergeant in Col. Neal's regiment, he went to Galena to take part in the Winnebago war. He was established in his profession in the spring of 1827, and attended the courts in the first judicial circuit that spring. He was first elected to the state senate in 1834, and re-elected in 1836, but resigned in March, 1839, as he was elected circuit judge of the first judicial circuit, which position he filled two years. In 1841 he resumed the labors of his profession until 1846, when he was elected to the state legislature. He was also one of the delegates elected in 1847 to revise the state constitution. He was again elected to the state legislature. It was during this term, in 1851, that he was appointed trustee to close up the financial affairs of the Bank of Illinois at Shawneetown, which occupied nearly ten years of his subsequent business life. In 1861 he was appointed, by Gov. Yates, one of the auditors to audit the war accounts, which position he resigned after serving about one year. In 1865 he was appointed by Mrs. Phoebe Strawn to assist her in the administration and settlement of the estate of the late Jacob Strawn, which estate was fully settled up in 1871. Judge Thomas was one of the first trustees of the Illinois Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb, acting from the date of his appointment in 1839 till 1870, with only a short interval - when he was appointed a member of the state board of public charities, which position he resigned a few months after, on account of a severe rheumatic affliction. He was also one of the original board of trustees of the Illinois Female college, established in 1847. He is at this time acting president of the board, a position which he has filled for years. By his munificence, added to that of others, this is one of the literary institutions which not only adorn the city of Jacksonville, but enhance the moral and intellectual interests of the country. Judge Thomas was also one of the first trustees of the Illinois State Hospital for the Insane, which position he resigned after two years. Few of the pioneers of Morgan county or the state have been called to fill so many public offices of trust or responsibility, or have served the public with more efficiency, than Judge Thomas. He was married in March, 1830, to Miss Catherine Scott, formerly of New York. Mrs. Thomas is a worthy and devout Christian woman, who is making the service of her Divine Master the great work of her benevolent life. They have had one child, which died in infancy. Mr. T., as well as his wife, has been an active and prominent member of the M. E. Church for over thirty-four years. He was sent as a lay delegate to the general conference in the spring of 1872, and was called to act on some of the committees of that body. His mental faculties are almost unimpaired by age. He is today a wise, benevolent, and useful citizen, respected and beloved by all who know him.
Judge Andrew J. Thompson was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, December 9, 1815. He emigrated with his father, Bernard Thompson, and family, in the fall of 1834, settling first in Jacksonville, where he followed his trade, carriage making, for a short time, when he removed to Bethel, and conducted the same business till 1851. He then engaged in milling, wool carding, farming, and dealing in real estate, to which he also added, in 1855, mercantile business, in the well known firm of Clark & Thompson. He also commenced farming on the farm where he now resides in 1860, which business he has followed in connection with the other branches above mentioned to the present time. Judge Thompson has served the people as justice of the peace ten years, as associate judge of the county court four years, and as postmaster for over thirty-one years. Few, if any, of the citizens of Morgan county have held responsible offices longer, or filled them better, than Judge Thompson. He was married to Miss Mary Jane Whitaker, of Kentucky, July 19, 1839. He has ten children - five sons and five daughters - all living; viz.: L. O., present wife of Capt. Henry White of Exeter, Illinois; Emma, wife of Milton Engleman, of Carrollton, Illinois (now residing in Colorado); Lewis C., Julia Kate, Eveline, Leona, Frank L., Charles, Arthur E., and Harry, living with their parents. A tree standing a few rods east of Judge Thompson's residence (planted by his father), now measures over thirteen feet in circumference. Judge Thompson is one of the prominent citizens of Morgan county, known and respected by a large circle of friends and acquaintances, not only in the county, but throughout the "military tract."
James B. Thompson, the oldest son of Bernard Thompson, was born September 17, 1810, in Brown county, Ohio. He emigrated to Morgan county in the fall of 1834, and settled north of Jacksonville where he remained three years. He moved to Greene county, where he resided two years, after which he returned and settled in Bethel, Morgan county, where he followed blacksmithing for about three years. He settled on the northeast quarter of section 32, township 16, range 12, where he now resides. Mr. Thompson was married May 1, 1834, to Miss Mary McGuier, of Hamilton county, Ohio. Three of his children died in infancy; the six now living are as follows, in order of birth: Clark, now at the Normal School, Bloomington; Mary, wife of John T. Crawford, of Chapin; Sarah, wife of Adolphus McPherson, residing near Perry; and Elvira and Owen residing with their parents. Mr. Thompson, as an old and upright citizen, is highly esteemed by all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance.
Olney Tinknor was born in Oneida county, New York, February 15, 1796. He was married to Miss Mary P. Richards, of Broome county, New York, January 3, 1819. Of eight children, three died in infancy, and four are still living, viz: Harriet, wife of John C. Bozarth; Lawrence, of Macon county, Illinois; Elias W. and Henry H., residing on the old homestead. Mr. Tinknor came from Lisle, Broome county, New York, and settled in Morgan county in July, 1823, where he still resides, enjoying mental and physical vigor unusual for one of his age. He has lived for nearly fifty years a witness of, and a participant in, the changes wrought in the county; having aided, by an active and well-spent life, in the development. He holds a prominent place in the affections of those who know him.
Few are the men who live today,
And by experience know
The toils and ills of frontier life
Of fifty years ago.
John Trabue was born in Adair county, Kentucky, December 25th 1814. He is the fourth child of a family of ten children. His parents, Robert and Lucy Trabue, were both natives of the "Old Dominion." His father's ancestors were French, being of those who, inconsequence of the religious persecutions in the time of the Huguenots, left Europe and settled in America. Mr. Robert Trabue received his education in Kentucky, where, in his early life, his parents had removed. He was married to Miss Lucy Wagoner. He removed, with his family, in 1833, and settled in the present limits of Brown county, Illinois. He followed farming as a business through his long and active life, which closed, at his residence, in 1860. His wife survived him two years.
John Trabue received his early education in the common schools of
Montgomery County, Tennessee, where his parents settled first after leaving
Kentucky. He obtained a good business education; when, at the age of seventeen,
he engaged in clerking in a store in Dover (known now as Fort Donaldson),
where he remained two years. He then removed to Nashville, Tennessee, where
he remained till 1837. He came to Mt. Sterling, Brown county, Illinois,
and opened a store, in 1837, where he remained two years. He was married,
in February, 1838, to Miss Caroline, daughter of Robert Fish, of Scott
county, Kentucky. They have had a family of seven children, four of whom
are still living. In 1846, Mr. Trabue moved to Meredosia, where he opened
a store, and continued in successful business till 1856, when he removed
to Jacksonville, where he engaged in merchandise till the fall of 1861.
He was then elected to the office of county clerk, of Morgan county, which
office he now holds, having been elected three terms, and in which he has
given universal satisfaction. Mr. Trabue, politically, was a whig till
that party was disorganized, since which he has been strongly identified
with the democratic party. His continuance in his present position is a
mark of the high appreciation his fellow citizens have for him as a business
man and an efficient officer. Mr. Trabue began life with small means, but
he has achieved success by strict attention to business. He has given his
children the advantages of a good education. They are all married but one.
He is a self-made, upright business man, and has the esteem of his fellow
citizens in an imminent degree; being always obliging, affable, and courteous
to all who have business or social relations with him.
Andrew J. Turner, the oldest son of John Turner, was born in Madison county, Illinois, December 18, 1814. His father was a native of Madison county, Kentucky, born December 18, 1791, being just twenty-three years older than his son Andrew. He settled in Madison county, Illinois, in the fall of 1810, at which time Madison county covered more than one-third of the territory of Illinois. Here he was married, April 17, 1811, to Miss Ruth Downing. Mr. Turner was actively engaged as one of the Illinois Rangers during the war of 1812, having an active service of over three years. Mr. Turner had a family of seven sons and four daughters, all living except two sons who died in infancy, and Mary, wife of Wm. McLain, Andrew J., Israel, William D., Almira C., present wife of John D. McMahan, and Alfred B., are citizens of Waverly. Rev. Joel, Isa, and Elizabeth, present wife of W. W. Hilton, are citizens of Virden, Illinois. Nancy, present wife of Americus Blaney, is a citizen of Macoupin County. Mr. John Turner and wife died at their residence, where they settled in the fall of 1828, which was the east half of the northwest quarter of section 21, township 13, range 8, which he entered, and on which he made the first improvement. The subject of this sketch came to the county with his father, and has resided on the same farm ever since, which is near where his father first settled. He was married November 12, 1836, to Miss Eliza M., daughter of Hezekiah Russell, a citizen of Waverly. He has only one daughter living, Elizabeth, wife of S. S. Hilton, of Waverly, and two died in infancy. Mr. A. J. Turner is one of the pioneers of Morgan county, now in the prime of life, respected by all with whom he is acquainted.
Prof. J. B. Turner is a native of Templeton, Worcester county, Massachusetts, born December 7th, 1805. He is the sixth child of Asa and Nabby Turner, who had a family of four sons and four daughters. The ancestral descent on the paternal side was German, and on the maternal side Nabby Baldwin was a lineal descendant of the Baldwins who figured in the Roman empire in the middle ages. Three Turner brothers were passengers on board the "Mayflower", and from them sprang the Turner family in America. Soon after landing at Plymouth, one settled in Connecticut, one in Rhode Island, and the direct ancestor of Prof. Turner settled in Massachusetts. One characteristic feature of the Turner family was their love for farming and enterprise in subduing new countries. Agricultural pursuits seemed to elicit their most earnest attention. Asa Turner was a man who was distinguished for his fearlessness and straight-forward honesty in all his transactions. His father, Edward turner, while a young man, settled in Templeton, where he improved a farm, and on the breaking out of the revolutionary war, he entered the army as an officer. He participated in the battle of Bunker Hill, and other engagements. He died while the forces were stationed at Saratoga, leaving his widow with several small children on the farm. Thus it will be seen that Asa Turner was thrown on his own resources very young. His mother was a woman of extraordinary force, both of mind and body. Prof. Turner's time was spent principally upon his father's farm until the age of fifteen, when he entered, as a student, the Academy at Amherst, remained at the institution only one term, after which he worked at farming in the summer and taught during the winter months. At about the age of twenty-two, he entered Yale College graduating therefrom in the class of 1832. Before receiving his diploma Mr. Turner was selected as teacher in Illinois College, Jacksonville, and a short time after was elected Professor of Rhetoric and Elocution. He remained a Professor in that institution for a period of fifteen years. He was married October 22, 1835, to Miss Rodolphia Kibbe, of Somers, Connecticut. They have had a family of six sons and one daughter. In the education of his children prof. Turner has united physical and mental culture, believing that in order to attain the highest development, it is necessary to unite physical and intellectual attainments. His children are graduates of the several institutions which they have attended, excepting the youngest son, who has not yet completed his education. Their eldest son, R. K. Turner, is practicing law at Quincy, Illinois.
In politics Prof. Turner became an early advocate of the free soil
party. Between him and the illustrious Lincoln there existed a life-long
personal friendship, and during the late rebellion he remained a firm supporter
of the Union cause. The Professor says that when he came to Illinois, strictly
speaking, he was in debt for his education, in part, and the success of
his life is the result of his own indefatigable exertions. He has acquired
a handsome competence, and now owns two thousand acres of valuable land
in Illinois. After dissolving his connection with Illinois College, he
turned his attention to farming, and for a period of about ten years worked
habitually in the fields during the day, and in the evenings attended to
his correspondence and reading matter. Religiously, although from early
life a regular communicant in the orthodox churches, he has ever been most
strenuously opposed to all sects, creeds, denominations, and division,
of whatever sort, in the church of Christ. The Professor is now residing
at his beautiful residence, surrounded by an interesting family. A fine
view of his place will be shown elsewhere in this work.
Hon. Isaiah Turney was born December 15th, 1800, in Warren county, Kentucky. He came to Wayne county, Illinois, in 1818, where, after a residence of sixteen years, he moved to Macoupin county, Illinois, remaining there until 1848, when he settled in Waverly, where he now resides. He was married to Miss Judah Lee, of Kentucky, July 27th, 1820. By this union he had eleven children, eight of whom are now living. Of these are Ellen, present wife of James Samples, of Waverly, and Asa, who is residing with his father. Notwithstanding Mr. Turney graduated as a physician, he has followed agriculture, except in his official positions as justice of the peace, postmaster, and as a representative in the state legislature one term (1861-62). Mr. Turney has long been respected by his fellow-citizens, whom he has tried to serve faithfully in all the trusts they have conferred upon him. He has the sympathy of his friends in the domestic afflictions which he has been called to pass through.
Thomas Turney was born in Lawrence county, Illinois, January 1, 1819. He came to Morgan county with his mother, Jane B., relict of the late John Eads, who is living with her son, Thomas, in Waverly, where he has resided since 1849 (having formerly lived in Jacksonville, and on Apple Creek, from 1827 to 1849). Mr. Turney was married, November 10th, 1841, to Miss Harriet B., daughter of William Massie, of Franklin. By this union he has four children: Alice E., residing with her parents; Clara J., relict of Dr. J. W. Meacham, Albert L., on his father's farm, in Sangamon County; and Ida M., at home with her parents. Mr. Turney is one of those energetic and persevering men, who appear to realize the power and possibilities of human accomplishment. He followed blacksmithing for over twenty years, when he devoted his attention to farming and stock growing, but latterly to stock dealing. He is respected for his probity and upright dealing, by all who know him. He has been an active, industrious citizen of Morgan county for over forty-five years, and is still in the prime of manhood, capable of further bearing his share in the future development of the industrial interests of his county and state.
County Main Page