1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
"Statistics of the Population of Morgan County By Townships, With Abstract of Agricultural Productions"
James Langley was born in Nelson county, Kentucky, Jan. 11, 1786. He settled in Morgan county, five miles east of Jacksonville, in the spring of 1829. He made a trip through Illinois in the summer of 1824, by way of Springfield, Peoria, and thence overland to Galena. He was offered eighty acres of land by James Latham, in what is now the business part of the city of Peoria, for three hundred dollars; he was also offered ten acres near the North Market House, St. Louis, for ten dollars per acre. In his trip from Peoria to Galena he came in contact with only one cabin, where today are flourishing towns and villages, beautiful farm residences, and almost an unbroken chain of cultivated fields. He was married in his native town to Miss Catherine, daughter of Bryant O'Neal. His wife came to Morgan county in September, 1829. By this union he had three children; two died in infancy; Josephine was the former of Wycoff Poling, of the mercantile firm of Langley, Poling, & Wright of Franklin, Ill. He was married to his present wife, Mrs. Mildred (relict of Abner Wright), in September, 1856. Mr. Langley is one of the few old settlers living today in Morgan county; he is the oldest man in the township. He has witnessed great changes in the county and state in the last forty five years. As a citizen, he is respected by a large circle of acquaintances and friends in the community where, for so many years, he has been an active citizen and business man.
Thomas J. Larimore was born in Bourbon county, Ky., October 11, 1797. He was the second child of Hugh and Elizabeth Larimore, who were natives of Maryland, and early settled in Kentucky, and through life followed farming. Thomas J. Larimore had only the advantages of the common schools of his state, in those early times; but by persevering industry, he acquired a fair, practical business education in after life. He was married on December 20, 1828, to Miss Priscilla Broadwell, the daughter of Samuel and Nancy Broadwell, who were also citizens of Harrison county, Kentucky. Mrs. Larimore was born January 14, 1806. Mr. Larimore, a few years before his marriage, engaged in merchandising, which he followed till 1830, when with his family, he removed to Jacksonville, in April of that year, and there opened a store, which was one of the first in the place. He followed merchandising three years. He purchased a farm in the fall of 1833, about five miles northeast of the village, on which he then moved. The farm was known as the "Locust Grove Farm", containing, at that time, about six hundred acres. He resided on his farm til 1853, when he returned to Jacksonville, and retired from active labors, except superintending his farm, and other minor business. Mr. Larimore and his wife have had a family of nine children, six of whom are now living. Five of their children are married and well settled in life; viz: Mary L., present wife of Asbury M. Foster, is at this time residing with Mrs. Larimore, on east State street; Samuel H. is also residing with his family, in the city of Jacksonville; Lydia J. is the wife of Dr. James P. Willard, one of the practicing physicians of Jacksonville; William H. and Wilson H. are residing in Girard, Kansas, now engaged in farming; and John W. is also a farmer, residing near Fairfield, Iowa. Politically, Mr. Larimore was a whig, and a firm supporter of the principles which became the foundation of the republican party. He and his wife became members of the Methodist Episcopal church in 1836, and their precepts and examples, through the Divine blessing, have given them their children also as members of the same church. After a protracted illness, Mr. Larimore was called to his final home, and his labors on earth closed at his residence, April 9, 1865. He left a large circle of friends and acquaintances to mourn his loss, but not as those without hope. His example as a Christian man still lives in the memory of his children and acquaintances.
Holy acts are all immortal,
Ne'er can lose their saving power;
Greatest boon our friends bequeath us,
Welcome in a dying hour.
- His family were, originally, of German descent, but emigrated early to
Pennsylvania, settling in Adams county. George La Rue, Sr., was born in
the county above mentioned, and his son, the subject of this article, was
also born in the same county on the 12th of March 1822. His parents dying
when he was quite young, his opportunities for obtaining an education were
extremely limited, yet the boy was accustomed to study, and by dint of
industry and severe application, gathered considerable knowledge. He remained
in Pennsylvania several years, and then removed to Champlain county, Ohio.
For seven years he worked for various farmers, closely applying himself
to the study as well as the labor of agricultural affairs. On the 5th of
September, 1851, Mr. La Rue was married to Miss Lydia Ann Marker, daughter
of Samuel Marker, Esq., formerly of Pennsylvania, but at the date of marriage
a resident of Champlain county, having lived there over two years. Son
after the marriage of Mr. La Rue he removed to Illinois and settled in
Morgan county, within the limits of the Mauvaisterre precinct. He arrived
in the county on the 4th of October, 1851, and immediately commenced farming.
He continued in this occupation till the time of his death, which took
place on the fourth day of November, 1862. He was only forty years of age
when that direful disease, hereditary consumption, hurried him to an untimely
grave. This disease had prevailed to a great extent in the family, both
in Pennsylvania and Ohio, and may be termed the great scourge of the eastern
states. A few years previous to his death he opened to the citizens a public
house at Alexander, which he called the "Alexander Hotel." His
estimable widow, Mrs. La Rue, attends to the management of the house, and
has the reputation of keeping a first class hotel in every respect. Though
Mr. La Rue has been dead several years, yet his memory is green in the
hearts of the old citizens of that section of the county. He is remembered
as a man of honor and an enterprising and successful farmer. If Providence
had permitted him to live longer, he would have accomplished much improvement
in the science of agriculture, and achieved some considerable note as a
skillful tiller of the prairie. In his case, at least, "the good that
he has done lives after him," and is not interred with his remains.
As we conclude this short article in regard to the history of Mr. La Rue,
we would say, as the generality of the correct business habits, and his
regularity was only surpassed by his generosity and liberality toward all
with whom he came in contact.
Abraham Liter was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, November 30, 1798. He is the oldest child of Jacob and Catherine Liter, who were formerly natives of Maryland, though both having settled in Kentucky when quite young, previous to their marriage, in 1839. He removed to Morgan county, Illinois, and located on a farm in Jersey Prairie, and there Mr. Liter and wife spent the remainder of their lives. Abraham Liter spent his boyhood on his father's farm, and when he arrived at the age of twenty-two he was married to Miss Sarah Miller, by whom he had three children. About six years after their union she died, and he remained a widower eight years. He them married Miss Elizabeth Liter, by whom he had nine children, two of whom are deceased. In 1839 Mr. Liter moved to Morgan county, and settled on the farm where he resides. His avocation has substantially been that of stock dealer and farmer. While residing in Kentucky he employed a portion of his time in driving horses and mules to Milledgeville, Georgia, and other southern cities. A portion of Mr. Liter's farm is situated within the corporation of Jacksonville. Mr. Liter is now at the advanced age of seventy-four years, and is enjoying good health. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church.
James H. Lurton was born in Scott county, Kentucky, March 21, 1813. He was the fourth child of Dr. Wm. Lurton, who had a family of nine children, six of whom are now living. Dr. Lurton was a prominent physician of Kentucky. He removed to Morgan county in 1833, here he resided till his death, in 1839. James H. came to Morgan county in October, 1831, and located on what is known as Jersey Prairie. He was deputy sheriff for three years, under Alexander Dunlap. In 1833, he was appointed by the county court collector of Morgan county, which position he filled about four years. He was then elected assessor and collector, which office he filled for several consecutive terms. One fact worthy of record is that Mr. Lurton was never defeated for any office in the county; i.e. when he had the vote of the county for a county office. He resigned his office in 1850, and engaged in merchandising in Jacksonville, which business he continued till 1862. He was elected, in 1861, collector and treasurer of the county, which position he filled with ability till 1869. He was married at the age of thirty-nine, to Miss Mary Strebling, daughter of Rev. W. C. Strebling. By this union they have had a family of nine children, eight of whom are still living. His oldest daughter is the wife of Dr. G. B. Sarchette, a gentleman of French origin, who is now residing at Terre Haute, Indiana. His oldest son, Wm. S., is married, and residing near his father.
Mr. Lurton has been, and is still, giving his children the advantages
of a good education. He became early in life identified with the democratic
party, but is now a liberal republican, with the venerable sage and statesman,
Horace Greeley, as standard bearer. Mr. Lurton, when he became a citizen
of Morgan county, had but little capital, but by persevering energy, and
strict adherence to business has amassed sufficient to make him comfortable.
He is one of the early citizens of the county whom the people have thoroughly
tested, and as an advocate of their interests, he has never been found
wanting. He has done much, by his energy and capital, to develop and improve
the county, in which for over forty years he has been an active public
man, and a respected and useful citizen. The people have reposed in him
the utmost confidence, by conferring him many posts of honor and trust.
County Main Page