1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
"Statistics of the Population of Morgan County By Townships, With Abstract of Agricultural Productions"
John B. Fairbank was born in New Ipswich, New Hampshire, in March, 1796. He received his early literary education at Ipswich Academy. He engaged in teaching, at Stamford, Connecticut, and there became acquainted with, and was married to, Miss Hannah Crissey; after which he settled in Massachusetts, where he was largely engaged in the manufacture of palm leaf hats and bonnets, and straw goods. In 1835 he removed to the city of New York, where he continued his business until the summer of 1837, when he came to Morgan County. He first settled at Diamond Grove, until the summer of 1845, when he removed to Concord, and settled on the same farm where he now resides. Mr. Fairbank has had a family of five sons and five daughters. The youngest son and the daughters are deceased. His oldest son, Rev. S. B. Fairbank, has been a missionary for twenty-seven years, in India. His fourth son, Rev. John B. Fairbank, is the present pastor of Plymouth church, Ind. His second son is a citizen of Concord, Morgan county, residing on the homestead. His third son, D. W. Fairbank, is engaged in the sale of agricultural implements and seeds, on West State street, near the square, Jacksonville, Illinois. As agent, many years, for McCormick's reaper and mower, he is known to most of the citizens of the county of Morgan and those adjoining. Mr. John B. Fairbank and his family are active members of the Congregational church. He is esteemed for his many manly and Christian virtues.
Capt. George W. Fanning was born in Morgan County, Illinois, February 23, 1835. He is the oldest son of Sampson Fanning, a native of Virginia. His father moved to Tennessee, and from there to Morgan county, settling in township 15, range 10 (Jacksonville), in 1822. His father, Joseph, and family, in 1823, followed and settled in township 14, range 9, where Sampson soon settled. Here he remained till 1851, when he moved to the place where he now resides, near Murrayville. We would remark that Joseph Fanning and his sons were all among the early settlers of the county.
George W., in his early life, was engaged in farming, which avocation
he followed till 1859, when he began the mercantile business in Murrayville,
Ill., which he continued three years. In 1862 he took an active part in
the great conflict by enlisting company F, 101st regiment Illinois volunteer
infantry, which he commanded till the spring fo 1863, when he was discharged
on a certificate of disability, and returned home. He soon embarked in
merchandise again in Murrayville, having an interest in a flouring mill
at the same time in the village. He continued these interests until January,
1870. He was elected treasurer and assessor of Morgan county in the fall
of 1867, which office he filled (being re-elected) four years. In January,
1872, as one of the firm of Fanning, Paradice, and Co., he bought the Sentinel
office and fitted up in Chambers' Block, where they have, at this time,
a jobbing office in connection with the paper, which is doing excellent
work and driving a flourishing business. Capt. Fanning is well known by
the citizens of Morgan county, as well as by many in his native state.
His worth as an upright, public-spirited citizen and business man, is duly
appreciated by his numerous friends.
Thomas Fellows was born in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, February 16, 1810. He is the third child of Joseph and Catharine Fellows, who had a family of seven children. Thomas left home August 21, 1827, and set sail from England to America, landing at New Orleans November 10, 1837; staid there a short time; came to Morgan county June 7, 1838; worked for Adam Allison the first summer; and for ten years superintended the packing of pork for Royal Mooers, at Naples, Illinois. On the 26th of November, 1861, Mr. Fellows was married to Martha Wilson, daughter of Edward and Anna Wilson. They have one child. At present Mr. Fellows is residing on his farm, one mile south of Lynnville.
Zadoch W. Flinn - Among those who have risen from poverty to a position of prominence and great wealth, will be noticed the above-named. He was born in Surrey county, North Carolina, on November 14, 1795. Mr. Flinn was one of a large family of children born to Laughlin and Elizabeth Flinn, and, as was the custom in those days, he, at an early age, worked on that rugged soil, and assisted in the arduous labor of clearing land. What little education he possessed was obtained in the schools of his native state. When fourteen years of age, his parents removed to Kentucky, and he remained at home, working as usual, til 1818. Then being in his twenty-third year, he resolved to visit the prairie state and carve a fortune out of her fertile soil. So, after a long journey, in that year, the subject of this record settled on Richland Creek, Sangamon county, where he built the first cabin, and started a settlement on that creek. The neighborhood yet bears the original name of Richland, which is peculiarly applicable, on account of its fertility of soil. At this time Mr. Flinn was unmarried, and lived in the cabin solitary and alone, with the exception of an occasional visit from the Indians. He was so generous toward the latter that they gave him the name of "The Good Man." His land was equally divided between prairie and timber, and to the tillage and improvement of the farm he applied himself with that tenacity of purpose which has ever characterized the efforts of the early pioneers of Illinois. Feeling assured of his final success as an agriculturist, his labors were urged on by an indomitable will, and at the same time they were characterized by an honest and straightforward line of conduct, which, despite his poverty and forlorn condition, won for him the respect of the whites as well as the aborigines. As was previously remarked, the Indians paid a great tribute to his character, by terming him a good man, and the early settlers fully corroborated the title, on account of his generosity and benevolence toward them when in sickness or distress.
He resided on Richland creek about three years, and then removed to Morgan county, and located on land in township 16-9, in the month of October, 1821. Previous to this, on the 23rd of August, 1821, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Hill, daughter of Francis and Rebecca Hill, of Monroe county, Kentucky. Mr. Hill was a native of Virginia, but had emigrated to Kentucky with his parents at an early age. Mrs. Hill, whose maiden name was Rebecca Hall, was a native of South Carolina; her parents removed to Kentucky when she was quite a young girl. Mrs. Flinn's education was obtained in Kentucky, and what few advantages she possessed were well improved. Being the oldest child, much of the care of the family devolved upon her. Mr. Flinn was married to Miss Hill in Monroe county, Kentucky, and immediately after marriage, came to Illinois, and located his land as above stated. Mr. F., with the exception of some raw land, was extremely poor, but encouraged by the sympathy and aid of his youthful bride, he set out to dig out of the rugged soil a home and competence. By reason of his untiring energy and incessant industry, he soon began to accumulate property. Early in his agricultural career he connected stock raising and grazing with farming, and in both of these branches of industry he was very successful. As soon as a small sum of money was obtained, on the application of citizens, he would loan the same to them at rates of interest determined upon by them, as the law permitted any rate contracted by and between the parties. In this manner a large amount of money was earned. A peculiarity of Mr. Flinn's business was, as the settlers rightly stated, that everything he touched seemed to turn into gold. In fact, he "made success," and obtained a reputation as a shrewd, energetic, and far-seeing man of business without tarnishing his honor and casting a stain upon his name. These statements cannot but assure the reader of Mr. Flinn's inherent nobleness of heart, that would not stoop to dissimulation for the purpose of wealth.
Mr. Flinn was engaged in those Indian troubles known as the Black Hawk war. He participated in most of the campaigns, and in those fierce conflicts fought again and again, fortunately without receiving any wounds. At the time of the "deep snow" their cabin was nearly buried by the drifts of feathery element, and it was with difficulty that the stock was reached, wood hauled, etc. One morning, before ten o'clock, with the assistance of Stephen Flinn, he brought thirteen fine deer to the house. The snow was so deep that the deer were easily caught by the dogs, or shot at will by the hunter. Their bill of fare contained the corn-bread and the savory meat of the wild deer; and this could not but bring forth and develop the muscular frames and strong mental powers for which the yeomanry of the garden state are so noted. At this time, as ever since has been the case, his hospitality and benevolence were constantly tested. The latch-string of his door hung out," and many a weary pioneer and belated traveler rejoiced at the sight of his domicile, for they knew full well that none were turned away from his board, but all met a cordial welcome from this generous family. At the time of his death (December 1, 1868), he possessed over two thousand acres of land, and most of the same was under a fair state of cultivation. He always regarded with great pride blooded cattle, and was the first person in this section to import fine stock from the eastern and southern states. To his efforts are due the fine native cattle of this section, which meet the admiration of the farmer and stock raiser. In the feeding and sale of his stock, Mr. Flinn accumulated most of his large fortune, and this, by the way, on the farm on which he first settled, and on which his widow still resides. Mr. and Mrs. Flinn were the parents of fourteen children (seven of whom are dead), ten girls and four boys. Nine of the girls lived to be married. There are now living four daughters and three sons; as regards the latter, one is married. Of the daughters living, their names appear below, in the order of their ages; viz.: Mary Jane, the wife of Wm. C. Owen, Esq.; Amanda, the wife of Aaron Thompson; Levesta, the widow of John Sulley; Quintilla H., the wife of David Clark. The sons, in the order of their ages, are: Hezekiah W., Franklin M., and Edward M.
Though not an active politician, Mr. Flinn was a strong advocate
and supporter of the old Jeffersonian and Jacksonian principles of democracy,
and ever upheld the honor of his country as well as he was able. He was
not a member of any church, but yet entertained a high opinion of religion,
and aided and encouraged the support of the gospel in a kind and liberal
manner, that evinced the deep esteem he had for morality and religion.
While on a visit with his wife to their old home in Kentucky, he was seized
with a sudden illness, from the effects of which he died, on December 1,
1868. His remains were brought to Morgan county, and buried in the family
grave yard, on the old homestead. There reposes a kind father, an affectionate
husband, a good neighbor, and a faithful friend. An appropriate monument
marks the last resting place of all that is mortal of Mr. Flinn. Such,
in brief, is the history of one who, in early life had to undergo the privation
of poverty, and who, by his own strong will and determined heart, step
by step, rose to a position of wealth and prominence in society. He is
kindly remembered by all of the old settlers who are yet living, as one
who, in the early struggles of this county, was ever willing to lend a
helping hand to distressed pioneers. His estimable widow, at the advanced
age of sixty-seven, is residing on the old homestead, where in the past
she spent so many happy days with her husband. There their children were
born, and for the extended period of forty-seven years, they enjoyed the
comforts of married life. With her two youngest sons, she manages the many
household affairs, and dispenses hospitality with the same open hand that
has characterized her actions for over fifty years. Mrs. Flinn is now the
oldest resident of Morgan county, and bids fair (to judge from her energetic
walk) to live for many years more. As an incident of her industrious life,
we would state that the second bed-tick she owned after marriage was manufactured
by herself; she raised the cotton, picked the seeds by hand, carded and
spun the same at home, and walked over a mile to weave it. This, in connection
with making all the clothing worn by the family, formed only a portion
of her multitudinous labors. What a difference between the labors of the
women of that time and the ease and luxury of those of today! She was a
help-mate worthy of so noble a husband, and justly ranks among the representative
women in the early history of Illinois.
Samuel French was born in London, Merimack county, New Hampshire, November 9, 1812. His business through life has been farming and stock growing. He was married June 2, 1835, to Nancy S. Thompson, of Concord, New Hampshire. He emigrated west and settled about two miles west of Jacksonville, in 1839, where he remained about four years, when, with his family, he removed to his present farm, situated near the flourishing village of Chapin. Mr. French, by his first wife, had four children, all deceased, except one daughter, Laura Ann (former wife of the late Henry Atkins), who is now residing in the city of Jacksonville. He was married to his present wife, Miss Martha, daughter of Rev. John Fox, April 17, 1850. He has by this union two sons, Charles S., and Arthur Lincoln, both residing with their parents. Mr. French is one of the substantial citizens of Morgan county, possessing not only a good farm, but a high tone of moral rectitude and sense of right.
Joseph Fugueira was born on the Island of Madeira, October 5, 1841. He emigrated with his parents, Lewis and Genoveva, and settled in Jacksonville in the spring of 1850, where three of his children still reside. Joseph Fugueira's vocation was carpentering, which he followed till 1862, when he established his present business, as importer and dealer in wine and liquors, No. 208 West Court street, near the northwest corner of the public square, Jacksonville, Ill. He also established, about three years since, the summer retreat, in the southwest part of the city, known as Fugueira's Garden, where he furnishes, during the day and evening, ice cream, fruits, and refreshments, a view of which appears elsewhere in this work. Mr. F. is one of the energetic business men of Morgan county.
Nimrod Funk was born in Shenandoah county, Virginia, Oct. 23, 1794. He was the third child of Samuel and Elizabeth Funk, who were natives of the "Old Dominion." He moved, with his family, to Illinois, in 1830, and settled in what is now Scott county, and died three years after settling there. His wife survived him eight years.
Nimrod, after living with his parents till he grew up, moved to East
Tennessee, and was married to Eve Leib, daughter of John Leib, of Anderson
county, Tennessee, in 1818. In early life he learned the trade of saddler
and harness maker. On the 29th of October, 1827, he landed, with his family,
in Illinois, locating in Morgan county. He entered a quarter section of
land, on a portion of which Linnville (Lynnville) now stands. He carried
on farming until the spring of 1869, when he sold his farm and moved to
Jacksonville. Mrs. Funk died at their residence in the city June 22, 1871,
soon after which he broke up housekeeping and went to live with his children.
They had a family of twelve children, nine of whom are yet living. Mr.
Funk and wife became members of the Baptist Church in 1825. He acquired
considerable property, and now, in his advanced age, is enjoying good health.
County Main Page