1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois





1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
"Statistics of the Population of Morgan County By Townships, With Abstract of Agricultural Productions"




Alexander Edgmon was born in Sullivan county, East Tennessee, December 5, 1819. With his widowed mother, Rebecca, and family he removed and settled at Waverly in April, 1836, where he remained till 1840, when he settled in the city of Jacksonville. He continued here till 1871, when he moved on his farm, where he now resides, two miles south of the city. Mr. Edgmon engaged in brock manufacture with A. P. W. Taintor for some time. Afterwards he continued the business as sole proprietor till 1865, when he, in company with Mr. Gallaher, continued until 1870, from which time he was sole proprietor for one year, after which he sold a half interest to G. W. Hilly, and, the year following, the remainder to L. B. Ross. Mr. Edgmon and his associates have made a larger amount of brick than any other firm in the city or county. Their pressed brick has been shipped by rail to other parts of the state. One year they employeed over one hundred men, and made, for several years, over 5,000,000 brick. Mr. Edgmon is one of the energetic business men of Morgan county, who, by his industrious and public-spirited career, has contributed largely in making Jacksonville what it is, - one of the prominent cities in the state. He is respected by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

William Ellicock was born in Derby, England, May 10, 1836. He emigrated to Illinois, and settled in Greene county, in the summer of 1860. He came to Jacksonville, Ill., in December, 1865, where he opened an auction and commission house, and is still engaged on the north side of the public square. Mr. Ellicock established the first and only successful house of this kind in the city. His large commodious business house, with the general and varied assortment of his stock, enables him to compare favorably with any house of its class in central Illinois. Mr. Ellicock is a good citizen and an upright business man, - one who, by fair dealing, has the confidence of a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

Hon. James M. Epler is a native of Morgan county (in that portion since formed into Cass county). He is the fifth child of Hon. David and Rachel R. Epler, who had a family of eight children. James M. received his earliest culture in the common schools of Cass county, and at the age of sixteen entered Illinois College, Jacksonville, completing the scientific and classical course and graduating from that institution in the class of 1858. Immediately after he commenced reading law in the office of Cyrus Epler, of Jacksonville, and was admitted to the bar. In December, 1859, he commenced the practice of law in Beardstown, Cass county, where he remained till 1864. In the fall of 1862 Mr. Epler was elected to the Illinois legislature as representative from Cass County. In the spring of 1864, in company with his brother, he made a visit to California, where they sojourned for about a year. In 1866 he was returned to the legislature, the district embracing Cass and Brown counties. In the fall of 1867 Mr. Epler removed to Jacksonville and entered into a law partnership with Hon. William Brown. In the fall of 1868 Mr. Epler was elected, by a handsome majority, to the state senate from Morgan county, and is the present incumbent, filling the position with marked ability and distinction. Mr. Epler is unquestionably destined to win an enviable fame in the arena of politics, and, as a lawyer, stands prominent in this portion of the state. On the 7th of April, 1867, Mr. Epler was married to Miss Hannah Taylor, daughter of Joseph Taylor, of Springfield. They have had two children. Mrs. Epler is a graduate of the convent at Springfield. She is a lady very much esteemed for her social and literary qualities. Politically, Mr. Epler has always been a staunch supporter of the principles advanced by the democratic party. A fine view of Mr. E.'s residence will be shown elsewhere in this work.




1894 Index
County Main Page