1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois





1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
"Statistics of the Population of Morgan County By Townships, With Abstract of Agricultural Productions"



Thomas Deaton was born in Virginia, September 29, 1813. His father (James Deaton) and family settled northeast of the present site of Jacksonville, in 1820. His children, who came with him, were: James Jr., deceased; Robert H., deceased; Leah, former wife of Hezekiah Bridgeman, of Concord (she died about 1853); Martha, former wife of Wm. Goodpasture (died about 1842); Thomas, the subject of this sketch; and William. The balance of the family are now residing in the county. James Deaton erected the second grist mill in the county; the power was horses and oxen. He died April 22, 1854. Thomas was married December 22, 1842, to Miss Matilda Underwood. His children are all residing with their parents, except Joseph Henry, in Green county, and John, in Macon county. Thomas Deaton is one of the energetic and persevering men who have labored for over half a century to develop a county having less than four score souls in it when he first became one if its citizens.

By him, in youth, a wild was seen
Of groves and fragrant prairies green;
In age he sees on every side
Rich cultivated fields, with pride.

Joseph P. Deaton. This venerable settler was born in Amelia county, Virginia, on January 2, 1806. His father, James Deaton, was a farmer, and was a very old settler of Amelia county, Virginia, having been born and raised there. His parents emigrated to Botetourt county, Va., when he was about five years of age. From Botetourt county, they emigrated to St. Claire, Illinois, in 1819. In 1821 they removed into Morgan county. Mr. Joseph P. Deaton was married to Miss Sarah Cook, daughter of J. Cook, of Morgan county. Mr. Cook came to Morgan county, in 1826. Five children were born; viz: Elizabeth, born July, 1829, now Mrs. Jacob Stout, of Morgan County; Marshall who died in 1842; Thomas Deaton, Jr., born March 26, 1833, married February 8, 1854, to Miss Mary A. Caldwell, daughter of David B. Caldwell, Esq., of Morgan county; and L. Ann Deaton, who died when only a young child of five years. Mr. Deaton was in the militia at Galena, when the outbreak of the Indian difficulties commenced, at the time of the Black Hawk war. He was ready to engage in the conflict for the preservation of peace along the frontier. Although in no serious engagement, they stood ready to protect the brave settlers in their homes, and to save them from the cruelty of their savage foes. Few persons have any adequate idea of the barbarities committed during those Indian wars. The complete record of those cruelties has never been published, but if it were, the people would scarcely give credit to the tales of blood and misery, too true, alas, for the peace and quiet of many a home. Though now past the meridian of life, Mr. D. is able to give a distinct and interesting account of those border wars with the Indians. His memory is remarkably well preserved, and his tales are succinct, and seem more like a manuscript than a verbal repetition. The aborigines have passed away. The old soldier remains to tell us of the past, and remind the present generation how much they are indebted to those brave men who paved the way for our present standing as a county and greatness as a state. What a change has transpired since the arrival of Mr. D. in 1819! The little trading points have given place to cities, and the trails have been supplanted by long lines of railways and turnpikes. The fierce alarms are changed into the peaceful notes of agricultural and mechanical business. The soldier no longer is needed to protect the farmer, for wars and rumors of wars are heard no more. Such is the present condition of our great state. What and how much credit there is due the noble band of pioneers, who, through a long and vexatious series of droughts, storms, and wars vindicated their character as upright and God-fearing men.

The domestic relations of Mr. D. have been spoken of in a previous paragraph. They have been of the most happy character, and indicate, in a peculiar manner, the fine qualities he possessed, both as a husband and a father. A philanthropist by nature, he delights in doing good to all. In a quiet way, he works for the general public, and endeavors by his actions to set a good example for the rising generation. We are pained not to have sufficient data at this time to give due justice to the character and standing of the gentleman, a brief history of whose life appears above, but we feel assured that we have accomplished something that will assist in perpetuating his name. Many facts have been lost during the last fifty years, but sufficient data yet remains to tell us of the past. The children are worthy of such a father, and one of them has now an enviable reputation as a justice of the peace. 'Squire Deaton is well known both within and without his jurisdiction as an official who possesses an honest heart and a well-balanced head. We trust that his ability may be recognized, and that he may long retain his position, a place for which he is amply qualified, on account of his attainments as a justice and a scholar. The old pioneer bids fair to live many years. It is a pleasure to listen to his stories of the past, when we think that he was an active participant in those trying scenes. He lives to enjoy the fruits of his industry, and to behold the wonderful changes that are now taking place. We hope that his life may be as long as it has been well spent, and that when he approaches that "bourne from whence no traveler returns," it may be with joy, feeling that he has "well and nobly acted his part upon this stage of action." As we approach the tomb of some early pioneer, we feel that his memory should ever be embalmed in words that never die; so, as we gaze upon the person of a living old settler, we feel the respect due him as a man who has labored long and earnestly for our existence as a county and state, and we hope the time never may come when the people shall become so weak and vacillating as to forget the men who have made this country what it is. We must not forget to note the hospitality and good humor of Mr. D., for they are only equaled by his enterprise and industry. Though advanced in years, he exhibits the habits of a much younger man, by his sturdy stride, and the vim with which he applies himself to any task.

William H. De Motte, president of Illinois Female College, is a native of Kentucky. He was born near Danville, in that state, July 17, 1830. In 1831, his father, Rev. Daniel DeMotte, moved to Western Indiana, where he still resides. He was one of the early pioneers of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the northwest.

President DeMotte is the seventh of a family of eight children. He entered Asbury University at Greencastle, Ind., in 1844, and graduated therefrom in 1849. He was soon after elected a teacher in the Indiana Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, in which situation he remained till the spring of 1864, when Gov. Morton appointed him military and sanitary agent of Indiana, the duties of which office required him to go to Washington, where he spent about a year. In the spring of 1865 he was called to the presidency of Indiana Female college at Indianapolis, and in July, 1868, on the resignation of Dr. Adams, he was called to his present position. President DeMotte is a Christian gentleman of high culture, and one of the most practical and thorough educators in the west. Under his management, Illinois Female College has continued to prosper, and with its present efficient board of trustees and able corps of teachers, we may predict for it a career of great usefulness in the future. This school is designed exclusively for young women. It has the classical, scientific, and musical departments, and is arranged on the President's Home plan, with his family and the teachers living in the college, and having charge not only of the intellectual, but of the social and religious instruction of the students.

President DeMotte was married to Miss Catherine Hoover, daughter of Alexander Hoover, of Montgomery county, Ind., in September, 1852. They have had a family of six children, all of whom are now living. Mrs. DeMotte, the gifted and amiable Christian lady, was an indefatigable co-laborer with her husband in the duties of his office. She died May 26, 1872. Both President DeMotte and his wife, have been active members of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which they were identified in infancy by baptism.

Jonathan DePledge was a native of Yorkshire, England, born in March, 1796. He was the third son of William and Sarah Depledge, who had a family of thirteen children. Jonathan entered the English army, and was engaged under the Duke of Wellington, at the battle of Waterloo. Soon after he received an honorable discharge, returned home, and for twenty years was game keeper for Lord Fitz Williams, at W___ House. He was married at the age of twenty to Miss Jane Robinson, of London, who lived only about two years after her marriage. He was again, married, to Miss Ann Miller. With her he lived about twenty years, until her death, having but one child. In 1843, with his daughter, he came to New Orleans, and soon after to St. Louis, from there to Morgan county, where he bought a farm seven miles north of Jacksonville, where he lived about four years; from there he went to Naples, and then to Meredosia. He was married to his present wife (formerly Miss Elizabeth Gray, of England) in May, 1850. Mr. D. and his wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically, he is a republican, and during the war was a supporter of the Union cause. He commenced in business with about four hundred pounds in money. He has been successful, having devoted his attention to farming. He is a good man, and a public spirited citizen.

Edward Dun, Esq. was born in DuQuoin County, Illinois June 18, 1848. He is the only living child of Rev. Jos. R. and Mary A. Dun. Mr. Dun, the father, was a native of Delaware, and moved to St. Louis in 1835. He is a minister of the Presbyterian church. He was employed by the Temperance and Abolition Societies, as a lecturer through the principal cities of Illinois and Ohio, for a period of five years. In the meantime he married, at Ottawa, Miss Mary A. Rockwood, and was soon located in that city as pastor of a Presbyterian Church. He continued preaching till 1863. He now resides in Jacksonville. His son Edward, attended Normal University, at Bloomington, and Illinois college one year, where he graduated in 1867, with the degree of A.M. He was admitted to the bar in 1868, and is now a member of the law firm of Sanford and Dun.

Col. James Dunlap was a native of Kentucky, born in Fleming county, October 30th, 1802. He was the son of Rev. James Dunlap, who, on leaving Kentucky, settled in Champaign county, Ohio, and then removed to Marietta county, where he spent the remainder of his life. The Colonel emigrated from Champaign county, Ohio, and settled in Morgan county, July 4th, 1830. His first business engagement was in Jacksonville, on the north side of the square, where he opened a general assortment of articles usually offered in a country store. He devoted his energies to this interest till 1838, when, in company with Thomas T. January, he contracted to build the first railroad in the State, which was from Springfield to Meredosia, a distance of fifty-six miles. The firm of January & Dunlap completed this line ready for the rolling stock in 1845. Col. Dunlap dealt largely in real estate, and was also one of the prominent farmers and stock dealers till 1860. On the breaking out of the rebellion he engaged in the common cause of our country, exerting his business talents as Chief Quartermaster of the 13th Army Corps, and giving his attention to this important trust till 1864, when he returned to the peaceful avocations of civil life.

Among the many achievements of an active life of over 40 years, was the erection, in 1856, of the Dunlap House, which appropriately bears the name of its founder. This is one of the best and most capacious hotels in central Illinois. It is an ornament to the city, a most inviting and homelike place of accommodation for boarders and travelers, and may it long remain a monument of the energy and public spirit of the builder whose name it bears.

Col. Dunlap was married in Greene county, Ohio, November 19th, 1823, to Miss Elizabeth Freeman, of that county. Mrs. Dunlap is a woman of amiable and sterling qualities, which render her loved and respected by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. They have had a family of eleven children, in the following order of birth, viz: Sarah, now deceased, former wife of Gen. John A. McClernand; Mary Jane, who died in infancy; Amanda, who died in early youth; Emily, present wife of Rev. Dr. N. N. Wood, of Jacksonville; Mary, residing with her parents at the Dunlap House; Minerva, present wife of Gen. John A. McClernand, of Springville, Illinois; Eliza, present wife of Judge A. H. Robertson, of Lexington, Kentucky; Charles T. of the firm of Conover & Dunlap, wholesale and retail dealers in hardware, on the west side of the square, Jacksonville, Illinois; George A., engaged in Coffeeville, Kansas, dealing in real estate and stock; and William, his youngest son, who is now in his collegiate course, and residing at home, in the Dunlap House. Col. Dunlap has never courted political or public responsibility, but was elected as a member of the State constitutional convention, in 1847, to amend the State constitution. He was commissioned by President Lincoln, in 1861, as Chief Quartermaster of the 13th Army Corps, as before stated. Col. Dunlap is one of the substantial and influential citizens of Morgan county, whose acquaintance is extensive, and whose character is duly appreciated by a community in which he has spent forty-two years of active life. Though nearly seventy years of age, Col. Dunlap has preserved his bodily and mental faculties in a good degree. He now looks healthy and robust, and remarkably young for one of that age. Col. Dunlap and his wife have been members of the Baptist church over twenty-five years.




1894 Index
County Main Page