PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
DR. WILLIAM J. WACKERLE, a representative physician and surgeon of Meredosia and a graduate of the University of Heidelburg, was born in the Grand Duchy of Baden, Germany, Fe. 23, 1819, and came to America when a young man of twenty years. He took up his residence in Meredosia in 1846, and, with the exception of six months spent in Missouri in 1852, during the cholera epidemic in St. Louis, when he volunteered his professional services, he has since been a resident here.
The early studies of our subject were conducted in the common schools of his native place, and when seventeen years old he entered the University of Freiburg, where he attended one and one-half years, then entered the Medical Department of Heidelburg University, where he attended two years and was then graduated. He started for America in the fall of 1839, taking passage at Havre on a sailing vessel and landing in New Orleans after an ocean voyage of sixty-three days. He spent one year in Jackson, La., engaged in the practice of his profession, then, coming north, settled in Detroit, Mich., ut less than a year thereafter returned south to St. Louis, Mo., and thence, in 1846, came to this county.
While a resident of St. Louis Dr. Wackerle was married, Feb. 19,
1843, to Miss Susan F. Anderson, who was born in Fauquier County, Va.,
June 30, 1825. She is the daughter of Elijah and Fannie (Browning) Anderson.
They were likewise natives of Virginia, the father of English and the mother
of Scotch descent. In 1835 they removed to Lincoln County, Mo., settled
on a farm, and resided there until their decease. The mother died in 1843,
and the father in January, 1888, aged ninety-four years. Thus it will be
seen that Mrs. Wackerle was only about ten years old when she came to Missouri
with her parents. They are the parents of six children, five of whom are
living, namely: William F., a resident of Kansas; Charles J., a physician
of Glasgow, this State; Louis, a resident of Nevada, Mo.; Edward resides
in Butler, Mo.; and Fannie, wife of Prof. Harker, of the Illinois College,
Jacksonville. The Doctor is of a social disposition, a man well read and
well-informed, and a conscientious practitioner. He belongs to the Morgan
County Medical Society and the Masonic fraternity. In religious matters
he is identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics votes
the Democratic ticket. As one of the oldest settlers of Meredosia, he naturally
enjoys a wide acquaintance, and is universally respected. His parents,
Jacob and Elizabeth (Rise) Wackerle, were of pure German stock, and are
WILLIAM WAGGONER is a representative farmer and stock raiser of Morgan County. He was born in Perry County, Pa., Aug. 14, 1840, and received his education at the public schools of that old commonwealth.
William Waggoner, Sr., was also born in Perry County, Pa., Oct. 6, 1805. He lived in Pennsylvania until he grew to man's estate, and then removed to LaSalle County, Ill., but becoming dissatisfied with the country he returned to Perry County, Pa., thence removing across the mountains to Cumberland County, in the same State. His wife died at the latter place. In 1856 he came to Morgan County, and purchased a farm of 240 acres, all improved. This time he removed with the intention of making Illinois his future home, an action which he never regretted. William Waggoner, Sr., was the father of eleven children, six of whom are living, namely: Peter, Catherine, Elizabeth, Anna, Emma and William, Jr.
Peter married Elizabeth Patterson, of Morgan County, and is a farmer and stockman. They have three children - Mabel, Mary and Ruth; Catherine married James Magill, also of Morgan County, who is a farmer and stock-raiser. They have four children - Owen, Lloyd, Charles and Alice; Elizabeth married Marshall W. Green, a farmer of Morgan County; Anna married Luther Magill, now deceased. Mrs. Magill lives in Jacksonville, and is the mother of five children - Nellie, Louis, William, Leonard and Clara; Emma is single, and lives with William, Jr.
Our subject married Annie Grimes, of Greene County, Ill., Dec. 22, 1880. Mrs. Waggoner was born Oct. 16, 1847. Her father and mother, John and Mary Ann Grimes, are of Kentucky nativity, their parents having come from England.
Mr. Waggoner, whose name appears at the head of this sketch, is now
living upon, and owns the homestead purchased by his father, and is making
a signal success of the business of general farming and stock raising.
He takes great pride in raising good grades of cattle, horses and hogs,
and for these he always receives the highest market price. He is a thorough
farmer and business man, and is well thought of in his community. He enlisted
as a volunteer in the 101st regiment of Illinois Infantry, commanded by
Col. Charles Fox, Capt. Sylvester L. Moore being his company commander.
His enlistment occurred in August, 1862, and he was discharged at St. Louis,
Mo., in July, 1863, for disability. He was taken prisoner at Holly Springs,
Miss., and paroled after being in captivity but a few hours. His regiment
was exchanged on the day of his discharge. Mr. Waggoner is a working member
of Matt Starr Post No. 378, G. A. R., of Jacksonville. He is a Republican
in politics. He was a brave soldier, is a good citizen, well spoken of
by his acquaintances, and, in fact, as has been said of another person,
"He will stand without hitching."
ROBERT B. WALLACE, farmer and stock raiser of Bethel Township, and also one of the largest fruit raisers in his section, is a native of Morgan County, and was born July 18, 1844. He is a son of William H. Wallace, deceased, who was a native of Vermont. His father is supposed to have been of Scotch descent. Robert's mother was a native of Ohio, and her father is supposed to be of Welch descent. Her maiden name was Samantha Jones. Her parents were among the early settlers of Bethel Precinct, having come here about a half a century ago.
Robert B. Wallace was one of five children, four of whom are living: Robert B., Richard M., who is now in Kansas; Kearney, deceased; William, who is living in this State; Armenia, wife of Turner Funk, of Vernon County, Mo. Robert's father, in 1849, went to California at the time of the gold excitement and was moderately successful in his quest for the precious metal. He remained in California about two years, when he returned to Illinois, but he subsequently went back to California and there died, about 1853. Politically, he was a Democrat, and like all pioneers had done much hard labor. He was known in his day to be the best cradler in Morgan County, and he was equally good in landing the scythe. He was always in favor of any move that was for the public good, and that would elevate society, and he enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his neighbors. Robert's mother is a member of the Christian Church, and is now well advanced in years. She subsequently married Samuel Poole; they purpose making their home in California.
Robert B. Wallace was reared to manhood in this county, and received the education incident to district schools, and having been an extensive reader all his life is well posted on general topics. He enlisted July 2, 1862, and was mustered into service in the following August, in Company E, 101st Illinois Infantry, as a private soldier. After his regiment went South it was assigned to the Army of the Mississippi, and latterly to the Army of the Cumberland. He participated in the battles of Missionary Ridge, Buzzard's Roost, Resaca, Dallas, Peachtree Creek, and was in the siege of Atlanta from start to finish. From Atlanta he went with Sherman in his march to the sea, and on that celebrated expedition he was on duty as one of the foragers, during part of the trip. He was also participated in numerous minor engagements. He was captured by the rebels at Holly Springs, Miss., and was a prisoner six months; he was paroled, and spent some time at Benton Barracks, St. Louis, Mo., until he was duly exchanged. He finished up a creditable war record by taking part in the Grand Review, which occurred in the month of May, 1865, at Washington, and on the following 27th of June he was honorably discharged, after which he returned to Morgan County, where he has since resided.
Mr. Wallace was married Feb. 2, 1859, to Mary F. Anderson, daughter
of Alexander Anderson, a pioneer of Morgan County. To Mr. and Mrs. Wallace
have been born seven children, four of whom are living: Comella, Lottie,
Myrtle and James W.; the following are deceased; Arthur, William and Lulu.
Mr. Wallace's home is a mode of comfort and convenience. He is a member
of Rollin Taylor Post No. 524, G. A. R., and has been commander for three
terms in succession, and is now adjutant of the post. His wife is a member
of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and both he and his wife take a great
deal of interest in social matters. Mr. Wallace politically, is a Republican.
He is reckoned one of the good citizens of Morgan County, and in his business
he is meeting with deserved success.
JAMES M. WARD. Soon after the advent of the pioneers in Central Illinois, and their discovery of a soil more than usually productive, the establishment of a nursery became a necessity among the other industries inaugurated by the enterprising men who drifted thitherward. Among these latter was the subject of this sketch, who is now recognized as one of the largest nurserymen and fruit growers in Scott County. He has eighty acres of finely cultivated land on section 35, township 15, range 14, and has for some years given early all of his attention to the propagation of choice nursery stock. He is of that genial, courteous and obliging disposition, which has not only gained him many personal friends, but which has been the means of securing him a large patronage, both in this and adjoining counties.
An Ohio man by birth and training mostly, our subject first opened his eyes to the light in Newark Township, Lacking Co., Dec. 3, 1831. His father, Stewart Ward, Esq., was born in Beaver County, Pa., in 1792, and was the son of John W. Ward, a native of England, who came to America in 1790, lived for a time in the Keystone State, and then in 1800 emigrated to Ohio, settling in Licking County, before the Territory had been transformed into a State. He improved a farm from the wilderness, and there spent the remainder of his days.
The father of our subject was reared amid the wild scenes of pioneer life, in Licking County, Ohio, where he received a limited education, but grew up healthy in mind and body, and like his father before him, engaged in agricultural pursuits. His life passed uneventfully (with the exception of serving as a Corporal in the War of 1812) until 1830, when he set out for the farther West, and located first in Putnam County, this State, near the present site of Magnolia. Two years later he removed to the vicinity of the Fox River, in Kendall County, where he entered a claim, but was driven out by the Indians, and took up his abode near Ottawa.
In the fall of 1832, Stewart Ward changed his residence to a point near the present site of Bloomington, where he engaged in farming until 1841. That year, crossing the Mississippi with his family, he took up his abode in Gentry County, Mo., repeated the experiment of reclaiming a portion of the wilderness, and built up a comfortable homestead, where he remained until his decease, in July, 1841. He possessed at the sturdy elements of the pioneer, and for a long period officiated as a Deacon in the Baptist Church. He married Miss Anna McGinley, a native of Pennsylvania, who died in 1843, aged fifty years.
James McGinley, the maternal grandfather of our subject, was born in the North of Ireland, and upon emigrating to America, located first in Pennsylvania, and then like the Ward family pushed further westward into Ohio. He was one of the pioneers of that region, and engaged as a contractor during the construction of the Ohio and Erie Canal from Cleveland to Portsmouth. In 1830, however, he made another removal, coming to Illinois and locating near what was then the hamlet of Bloomington, and where his death took place in 1836.
To the parents of our subject there were born six children, viz.: James M., our subject, who is the eldest; Martha A., and Catherine, who are residents of Bloomington; Rebecca, who died when four years of age; Orlando, who died in 1839, and Henry, a resident of Davies county, Mo.; James M. with his brothers and sisters spent his life in a manner common to the sons of pioneer farmers, acquiring his education in the district school. He was a lad of nine years when the family set out from Ohio to Illinois, overland by team, and still remembers many of the incidents of the journey, the settlement near Bloomington and Fox Lake, and how the Black Hawk Indians frequently passed through the country. He also recollects the agitation which culminated in the removal of the family to Ottowa for safety from the Indians. Later in life he attended the High School, which was established in Bloomington, and at the age of nineteen years engaged as a teacher, which profession he followed about three years.
Mr. Ward, in 1845, made his first purchase of land about eight miles west of Bloomington, and the improvement of which he carried on very successfully. In due time, by additional purchases, he became the owner of 360 acres, the whole of which he brought to a good state of cultivation. This accomplished, and desirous of more land to conquer, he disposed of his interests in McLean County, and in April 1866, emigrated across the Mississippi into Macon County, Mo. There he purchased eighty acres first, and afterward became owner of 300 acres in Randolph County, all of which he improved, and lived there until 1869. In January of that year he came to Scott County, and purchased the land which he now owns and operates.
Upon this place Mr. Ward has effected fine improvements, and is well equipped with all the appliances necessary for carrying on the nursery business. About thirty acres is devoted to the growing of apple, peach and evergreen trees, while he has a large assortment of flowering and other choice plants. His specialty, however, is the smaller fruits, great quantities of which he ships annually to Peoria, Chicago, and other points. A portion of his land is devoted to farming on a small scale, and he raises a goodly number of Poland_China swine.
Near Bloomington, McLean County, this State, on the 6th of February, 1842, our subject was united in marriage with Miss Clarinda Barker. This lady was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, Oct. 16, 1823, and is the daughter of Samuel Barker, who located near Bloomington in the spring of 1832, being among its earliest settlers. To Mr. and Mrs. Ward there were born eighty children, only four of whom are living. Charles died in 1858, when a promising youth of sixteen years.
George Ward, during the late Civil War, enlisted in the 94th Illinois Infantry, was mustered in at Bloomington, in the fall of 1862, and participated in all the battles in which his regiment engaged, serving until the close. Then returning home, he is now engaged in farming. Albert is married and engaged in the commission business at Saulsbury, Mo.; Levi died at the age of eleven; Alice became the wife of Amos W. Harrison, of McLean County, and died April 12, 1881; Samuel is a resident of Canton, Mo., and is engaged in teaming; Henry died when a little lad of five years; Daniel was graduated from the Christian University, at Canton, Mo., and is Principal of the Fountain school in Pueblo, Colo.
Mr. Ward cast his first Presidential vote for William H. Harrison.
He is now a lively Prohibitionist, and frequently is sent as a delegate
to the County Conventions. He has served on the Grand and Petit Juries,
and as School Director, Justice of the Peace, and Township Clerk. He is
an active member of the Christian Church at Naples, in which he has been
an Elder for the long period of thirty years, also served as Clerk, Trustee
and Superintendent of the Sunday_school at Naples, twenty years. Socially,
he belongs to the I.O.O.F., at Naples, and has represented his lodge in
the Grand Lodge at Springfield. Mr. and Mrs. Ward are proud in the possession
of twenty_eight grandchildren, and one great_grandchild.
EDSON R. WATERS was born at Elkton, Todd Co., Ky., Nov. 13, 1821, and died at Winchester, this State, May 30, 1888. When Edson R. was but six or seven years of age his parents emigrated from Kentucky to Manchester, St. Louis Co., Mo., where the father died the following year.
The widowed mother removed to St. Louis City, and there reared her little family, acquitting herself in the great responsibility as only a true Christian mother can. She surmounted all the difficulties incident to one who was left without any resources, and her children are living examples of the fact that she did nobly. Edson learned the trade of a blacksmith and wheelwright, and thereto gave the rest of his busy life. He came to Winchester in 1847, bringing with his wife, whose maiden name was Martha Shibley, and to whom he was married at St. Louis, Mo. Here he reared his family and prosecuted faithfully his chosen avocation, accumulating thereat a handsome competency. He was known and respected as an honest man and a consistent Christian, being always mindful of his obligation to God and to man. His devotion to his family was proverbial, and the church to which he belonged, the Methodist Episcopal, had upon its rolls no man who was more devoted to its tenets. He was an enthusiastic member of the Odd Fellows lodge at Winchester, and was ever found ready to do his part in charitable works. In fact, there are not any of the duties of good citizenship in which Mr. Waters was delinquent. In the death of such a man the world sustains a great loss.
His widow survives him, and is now living at Winchester, and at the time of the writing of this sketch (1889) is about fifty-seven years of age. Of her children the following is believed to be a correct record: William Howard is the successor in his father's business; Eliza Jane is the widow of A. J. Hoover; Mary K. is the wife of E. G. Reynolds, now of Pueblo, Col.; John T. is a coal operator at Moberly, Mo., and is married; Edson R., Jr., is in business in Winchester; Marthelia died in infancy; Charles F. also died while very young; Ada Virginia is the wife of William A. Wells, a dealer in livestock at Winchester; Harry Moreland died at the age of eighteen years; Emma Nevada is a young lady, now in Colorado, and Forrest Rippey is a cigar manufacturer.
Edson R., Jr., to whom we are indebted for much of the foregoing
information, is one of the married sons of the family. He was educated
in the common schools, and has been in active business, which he has prosecuted
successfully, ever since arriving to man's estate. His characteristics
are that of a promising business man, and, it is safe to predict, that
his name will be placed high on the roll of men who make a prosperous community.
About eight years of the life of Edson R., Jr., were spent in Missouri
and Kansas, and he has been in business in Winchester since 1884. He was
married to Miss Julia Burns Jan. 19, 1887, and a bright baby boy in the
household hears the euphoneous name of Russell.
JAMES WATT. In the subject of this notice we recognize one of the earliest pioneers of Morgan County - a man who at one time enjoyed the personal friendship of Douglas and Lincoln, and who has been the interested witness of the remarkable changes which have occurred in this country during the period of fifty-six years. He is at present engaged as a furniture dealer at Winchester, among those people he enjoys a lucrative trade and is recognized as an unassuming, straightforward citizen, popular in both business and social circles.
A native of Cincinnati, Ohio, our subject was born July 17, 1820, and is the son of David Watt, who was born in Pennsylvania and who as a member of the "Pittsburg Grays," served as a soldier in the War of 1812. He traveled through Northern Illinois at that time and later in 1833, brought his family to Scott County, via a river steamer which was more than a week making a trip from Cincinnati to Montezuma. He put up the first steam saw-mill in Scott County, completing it in the spring of 1834, but three or four years later sold this and purchased a water-power mill on Big Sandy Creek, one mile east of Winchester. This latter he rebuilt and put in machinery for grinding wheat and from that time on until his death, in 1848, operated it successfully, running it by water when the latter was plentiful and by steam when the streams were low.
The mother of our subject, Mrs. Jane (Anderson) Watt, was a native of Coal Hill, Pa., and the parental family included nine children, four of whom are living, viz: James our subject; David B., of Winchester; Jane, Mrs. Gwin, of Chicago; and Oliver S., of St. Louis, Mo. The five deceased, all lived to mature years and were named respectively, Henry, Euphemia A. (Mrs. Nash), Robert A., William H., and Isabel (Mrs. Sells of Baldwin City, Kan.) The mother died of cholera in 1851, in Winchester, Ill., being the first victim of this terrible scourge which she contracted without being exposed to the disease. The father of our subject, was killed in 1848, by the explosion of the boilers of the steamer "Planter" when on his way to St. Louis, and at which time several other persons also lost their lives.
The subject of this notice entered upon his education in his native city and completed his studies in Winchester. At the age of eighteen years, he began learning the carpenter's trade and later, took up mill-wrighting which he followed about five years. He put up a wool-carding mill in 1847, and subsequently added to it a flouring mill. He sold this property in 1852, and began the manufacture of threshers and reapers, while he also carried on at the same time the general repairing of machinery. He finally drifted into the manufacture of buggies, wagons, and other vehicles, which he prosecuted until 1876, together with the manufacture of furniture. He failed in business at that time and turned over all of his property tho his creditors and started anew. He then began selling furniture on a small scale, in 1878, and has gradually increased his business until he now operates with a considerable capital stock, and has also stoves and tinware. He has become widely and favorably known to the people of this region among whom he has built up a lucrative trade.
The 10th of March, 1841, witnessed the marriage of our subject with Miss Elizabeth, daughter of David McConnell, deceased, and who was one of the earliest settlers of Scott County. Of this union there were born four children - Orville M., Edwin E., John M., and David K. Orville and David are residents of Washington, D.C.; John lives in Anthony, Kan.; and Edwin in Winchester, Scott County. The wife and mother departed this life in May, 1865, and in the fall of that year, Mr. Watt was married to Miss Sarah Longnecker.
The present wife of our subject, is the daughter of Joseph Longnecker
of Winchester, and is now the mother of eight children, five of whom are
living, viz: Joseph C., James O., George F., Mary E., and Peter C. Mr.
Watt is occupying for his warerooms the building in which Stephen A. Douglas
taught school during the winter of 1833-34. In politics, he is independent,
voting for measures rather than men, and he has steadily avoided becoming
an office-holder. He is identified with the Masonic fraternity, and in
religious matters is a pillar of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at Winchester.
SAMUEL G. WEAGLEY, M.D. Perhaps the highest tribute that can be passed upon a man, is to acknowledge that in all respects he has fulfilled his obligations as a member of the community, conscientiously, and to the best of his ability. Such individuals are comparatively few and far between, and while perhaps making little stir in the world, really exercise a deep and lasting influence upon those with whom they come in contact. From the known character of Dr. Weagley it is to be inferred that these remarks are peculiarly applicable to his case. He has labored as a physician and surgeon among the people of this county for the last forty years, and enjoys in a marked degree their confidence and esteem, both professionally and as a business man and a citizen.
Fayette County, Ky., was the native place of our subject, and his birth occurred Jan. 6, 1823. He was among the comparatively few who at that early day received a good education. He completed his studies in Jacksonville, (Ill.) College, where he took a course of medical lectures, and later attended lectures at Louisville, Ky. He entered upon the duties of his chosen profession, first in 1849. Upon his arrival in this county, the settlers, few and far between, were located mostly in the timber along the streams. The Doctor was familiar with agricultural pursuits which were perfectly in harmony with his tastes, and he accordingly purchased a farm of I. N. Tindall. Upon this he labored a number of seasons, and purchased additional land adjoining, then sold and secured his late homestead from W. M.Cassell. This he has recently sold to Whitaker M. Grant, but during the absence of the latter in Alaska, remains upon it, and is looking after its affairs until the return of the owner. This farm comprises 240 acres of choice land upon which Dr. Weagley effected good improvements.
Our subject has practiced medicine in Morgan County for the long period of forty years, and is consequently known to a large proportion of its people. He is amply adapted both by training and education to the responsible duties in connection therewith, and his career has been characterized by that conscientious fidelity to the best interests of his patients and that ready sympathy which has been more effective than drugs and nostrums. He is the offspring of an excellent family, being the son of Isaac N. and Sarah (Gregg) Weagley, who were likewise natives of Fayette County, Ky., where the father owned a farm, and also operated as a carpenter. He died when comparatively a young man during the infancy of his son, Samuel G. He was of German descent, while the mother of our subject, whose parents came from Maryland, traced her ancestry, to England. Besides our subject, there were but two children. The other son, Abraham, married a Miss Cassell, of Fayette County, and is now deceased. The sister, Maria, became the wife of Henry Higgins of Scott County, Ky. They lived there some years, then came to this county, and Mr. Higgins engaged as an upholsterer in Jacksonville. He was then provided with considerable means, indeed was quite wealthy, but lost a large portion of his property, and died in limited circumstances. His widow is still a resident of Jacksonville, and has arrived at the age of eighty_eight years. She retains all her mental faculties unimpaired.
In July, 1849, Dr. Weagley was wedded to Miss Amanda C. Layton, of Scott County, Ky. She was born March 7, 1830, and came with her parents to this county about 1831. They settled on a farm in the vicinity of Jacksonville, where the death of the father occurred in 1840. The mother is still living, and residing there. They were the parents of seven children, four of whom are living. Of these, William T., married Miss Melinda Boyce, and is acting Deputy Sheriff of this county. They have five children _ Mattie, William, Nettie, Bessie, and Linda. Sarah E. married Andrew Jackson Morton, of this county; he is now deceased; she is a resident of Jacksonville. Mary F. married Irvin Dunlap, who is quite prominent of local politics, and was Sheriff of this county for eight years; they are the parents of one son, Millard F., and have an adopted daughter, Lizzie, a child of the sister of Mr. Dunlap; she is the wife of Edward Nixon, a railroad man holding a responsible position. Mr. and Mrs. Dunlap are now traveling in California, on account of the health of the latter.
The Doctor and his estimable lady are the parents of five children: Isaac W., S, Gregg, who married Lillie B. Davis; they have one daughter, Katie. Martin H.; Katie L. is the wife of Whitaker M. Grant, formerly of Alabama, but who is now United States District Attorney in Alaska; they have two children, Alice C., and Katie W. Ida May married Robert M. Hockenhull, a banker of Jacksonville, and they have one child, a daughter, Virginia May. Their son, Isaac W., died when a promising young man of twenty_one years, and Martin H. was taken from the household circle at the interesting age of fourteen years.
Politically, Dr. Weagley is one of the most active members of the
Republican party in this section, although steadfastly declining to become
an officeholder. He is identified with the Masonic fraternity, being a
member of Blue Lodge. Formerly both he and Mrs. Weagley were identified
with the Christian Church at Jacksonville. The society was eventually disbanded,
and they have not since associated themselves with any religious denomination.
They have made hosts of friends during their long residence in this county,
and form a part of that solid and reliable element by means of which it
has attained to its present reputation and standing among the communities
of the Great West.
THOMAS J. WELLS is a son of one of the first settlers of Scott County, was reared amid the primitive scenes that characterized its early settlements to a vigorous, capable manhood, and as soon as large enough began to share in the pioneer labors that laid the foundations for its present wealth and greatness. He is now numbered among the most successful of the practical, wide_awake, skillful farmers and stock_raisers of Winchester Precinct, where the greater part of his life has been spent since 1822, a period of sixty_seven years. His farm on section 16, township 14, range 12, comprises 200 acres, and with its well tilled soil, substantial buildings, including a fine brick residence, and many other valuable improvements, is considered one of the most desirable estates in this part of the county. There is a great deal of fruit on this place, including choice varieties of apples, pears, peaches, strawberries, currents, plums and grapes. Mr. Wells has devoted himself largely to raising stock, and has some fine graded cattle and horses.
The subject of this sketch was born Sept. 19, 1816, in Monroe County, Ill., and was the third child in order of birth of ten children in the family of Alexander and Mary (Chance) Well natives of Virginia and Maryland respectively, the former reared in Kentucky and the latter in Illinois. The father came to this State in the territorial days, and met the woman to whom he was afterward married. They spent the first few years of their wedded life in Monroe County, Ill., and came from thence with their family in 1822 to Scott County, then called Madison County, and later Morgan County. He took up a piece of wild land and improved it into a good farm, his original homestead now being in the possession of our subject. He was one of the first settlers here and had a good deal to contend with that the farmers of the present day know nothing about. Wild beasts were plentiful in this region and often troubled the crops, and our subject has seen many a bear killed by his father lying in the door_yard. In those days he had to go way to St. Louis to mill, and finally bought a small hand_mill on which two men could grind a peck of corn without stopping to rest. He took an active part in the Black Hawk War, and was a captain of a regiment. He was held in high consideration by his fellow_citizens and was a man of influence in this community, and here his name and memory are cherished as those of a deserving pioneer. His honorable life_record was brought to a close at the venerable age of ninety_five years in February, 1877. His wife is also deceased; her death preceding that of her husband twenty years. The descendants of this worthy couple were well represented in the late war by one son, John C., and five grandchildren, one of them, William A., the son of our subject, all of whom served in the Union Army.
Thomas Wells of our sketch, was a child of between four and five years when his parents brought him to Scott County, and as in those pioneer times schools had scarcely been started in this region his education did not commence till he was eleven or twelve years old, and he did not even know his letters, when, for the first time at that age he began to attend the rude log house, with its rough slab benches and poorly lighted interior, that served as the temple of knowledge for the children of the early settlers of Winchester Precinct. His chances for attending school even then were limited as he had to assist his father on the farm, but at one time he was under the tuition of the famous Stephen A. Douglas for three months; that gentleman teaching school in Winchester. At the age of twenty_one our subject began an independent life, and worked a portion of his father's place for all that he could get out of it. Nov. 13, 1845, he took an important step toward establishing a comfortable home, as on that date he took unto himself a wife in the person of Miss Julia Ann York. Her parents were William K. and Phebe (Lyons) York, natives respectively, of North Carolina and Bowling Green, Ky. They were married near Alton, Ill., March 4, 1821, and removing to this county at once, bought a place south of Winchester and were the very first settlers here. They had nine children, three of whom are now living, and two of their sons, William H. and J.B., served in the Union army in the late war, the former as quarter_master and the latter as private. Mrs. Wells was the second child of this family, and was born April 27, 1824, six miles east of Winchester. The family fared very hard in those early times, in common with many other pioneers, and Mrs. Wells received such education as she could pick up. She was twenty_two years old when she married our subject.
Mr. and Mrs. Wells settled a half mile west of this place, and began housekeeping on a very limited scale. Mrs. Wells in those days, being an accomplished spinner and weaver made all the cloth used in the family, and even sheared the sheep herself to get the wool. Mr. Wells at that time farmed on an eighty_acre tract of land, subsequently bought twenty acres more, and later on another 100_acres, which belonged to the homestead of his father.
Our subject and his wife mutually aided each other in their work and their years of hard and unremitting toil have been amply rewarded as we have seen. Four children, two sons and two daughters have blessed their union and are spared to comfort their declining years _ William A., born Sept. 15, 1846; Thomas J., born April 25, 1848; Mary E., born Sept. 26, 1850; Lenora, born June 15, 1853. Will aim A., who lives in Winchester, has been married twice. His first wife, by whom he had three children, was Maggie Woodall. After her death he married Ada V. Waters, and they have had two children, one of them now dead. Thomas, who lives in Jerseyville, Ill., married Jennie S. Stuart, and they have seven boys. Mary E. is the wife of Charles S. Doyle, and they live at the homestead, and have one child, Gertie. Lenora married Robert Hawk, and they live one_half mile north of the homestead, and have one child, Ivan.
Mr. Wells is public_spirited and contributes his quota to furthering all schemes for the advancement of the precinct and county. He is an uncompromising Republican and always gives his party his support at the polls. He cast his first vote for the hero of Tippacanoe and many years later had the pleasure of voting for his grandson, our present President.
He has been school Director and Supervisor of roads many years, and
discharged the duties thus incumbent upon him so as to promote the best
interests of the community. He and his wife are people of earnest religious
convictions, who carry their religion into their every day lives, and over
forty years ago, they united with the Christian Church. Though the frosts
of age have descended on his head our subject still bears in his heart
the dew of youth, and seems never to have grown old, being lively and full
of fun and his genial disposition makes him a general favorite with all.
JOHN WELSH. The substantial character of this name itself is quite indicative of the qualities of the man. A well-to-do reliable and unassuming citizen, he never seeks popularity, but has been content to pursue the even tenor of his way in his own particular sphere, shedding a healthy influence around him, and being recognized as the encourager and supporter of everything that is worthy and elevating in the community. He is one of those rare characters whose word is considered as good as his bond, and who has a healthy contempt for a mean action.
The native place of our subject was County Tipperary, Ireland, and his birth occurred March 10, 1832. His father, Patrick Welsh, was a native of the same county as his son, and there spent his entire life, engaged in farming. The maiden name of the mother was Mary Lewis. She was also born and reared near the childhood home of her husband, and is now deceased. The parental family consisted of seven children.
Our subject sojourned in his native county until a youth of eighteen years, receiving a common-school education, and employing himself mostly at farming. In early youth he had become interested in the country on the other side of the Atlantic, and from what he could gather from reading and hearsay, it appeared to him that here were opportunities not to be found on his native soil. He determined to emigrate thither, and accordingly, in 1850, bade adieu to the friends and associates of his childhood, and embarking at Waterford, landed seven weeks and four days later in New York. Thence he proceeded to Chester County, where he found employment as a farm laborer, and where he continued to lived until 1855. The spring of that year found him first in this county, and he rented a tract of land on North Prairie. With the exception of two years spent in Morgan County, and two years in Greene County, he has since made Scott County his home.
Mr. Welsh settled on his present farm in December, 1866, and for a period of twenty-three years has given his undivided attention to agricultural pursuits. He has wisely made of these a science and a profession, and from the first set up for himself a high standard which he has endeavored to follow. It cannot be denied that he has succeeded in an admirable manner. His farm, 160 acres in extent, has been brought to a thorough state of cultivation, his buildings are neat and substantial, and his machinery and live stock indicate in a forcible manner his progressive and enterprising spirit. He makes a specialty of graded horses, Short-horn cattle, and Poland-China swine.
Our subject was first married in Jacksonville, in the spring fo 1863,
to Miss Susan, daughter of Richard Sponsler. Of this union there were born
three children - Edward, Lucy and Ella, who are at home with their father.
The wife and mother died in 1873. Mr. Welsh contracted a second marriage,
in 1875, with Mrs. Mary (O'Neill) Ryan, a native of Ireland. This marriage
likewise resulted in the birth of three children - Katie, Margaret, and
John. Mrs. Welsh by her first husband, William Ryan, became the mother
of one child. Mr. W. meddles very little with public affairs, and has never
sought office. Upon becoming a naturalized citizen, he identified himself
with the Democratic party, and is a member in good standing of the Catholic
JOHN WHEWELL, an independent and prosperous farmer and stock_raiser of Winchester Precinct, is classed among the most upright and highly respected members of its social and religious community. Although of foreign birth the most of his life has been passed in the United States, which has no more loyal citizen than he, and during the late Civil War he fought bravely and well in defense of the institutions of his adopted country, although he was then scarcely more than a youth.
Our subject is of English origin and ancestry. His father, James Whewell, was a native of Lancashire, England, and his mother, whose maiden name was Maria Out, was also born in that shire. The father learned the trade of a weaver, and about forty years ago emigrated with his family from his native land, coming directly to Winchester, Scott County. He cast in his lot with the pioneers of the precinct, rented a place for a few years, and then removed to Morgan County, where he bought sixty acres of land, which he tilled assiduously until death closed his useful career in 1861. He was twice married, his first wife, by whom he had two children, our subject the only survivor, dying before the family left England. There are three children by the second marriage now living.
John Whewell was but four years of age when he left the land of his birth and came with his father to America. His education, which was very meagre, was conducted in what is now known as Hart's school_house. As soon as he was large enough to be of any use he had to assist his father on the farm, and he thus early acquired a good, practical knowledge of farming in all its branches that has been of inestimable value to him since he began the pursuit of agriculture on his own account. He was a self_reliant, self_helpful lad, and at the age of seventeen went forth from the old home to make his own way in the world henceforth. He worked out for nine months, and then responding to the call of his country for assistance in defending the stars and stripes, he put aside all personal aims and ambitions to take up the hard life of a soldier, enlisting in Company I, 101st Illinois Infantry, at Jacksonville, Ill. His regiment was ordered to Holly Springs in Mississippi, and there met the enemy, and six companies, including Company I, were captured. They were imprisoned but a very short time before they were paroled and dispatched to St. Louis, where they remained until spring. Mr. Whewell took part in all the battles in which his regiment was engaged, accompanied Gen. Sherman on his famous march through Georgia, and was wounded at the battle of Resaca, receiving a severe scalp would from a rifle ball, which laid him up in the hospital at Nashville, Tenn., three months; he then returned to duty, his term of enlistment not expiring until the war closed, and he took part in the Grand Review at Washington, and was finally mustered out of service at Springfield, this State, having won a good military record as a brave and efficient soldier.
After his experiences of the privations and hardships of war on Southern battlefields our subject returned home and resumed his former occupation, and as soon as he was married he settled on his present homestead, which comprises 110 acres of land of exceeding fertility and well located, and 100 acres under plow. The land was in its primitive wildness when it first came into his possession, and he had to clear away brush and timber before he could attempt its cultivation and bring it to its present excellent condition. The farm is well supplied with stock, and Mr. Whewell feeds all he raises. The buildings are neat and substantial, and everything about the place denotes a well_ordered farm that is under skillful management.
May 24, 1868, was the date of the marriage of Mr. Whewell to Miss Mary Ellen Hart, daughter of Henry and Mary Ann (Herring) Hart of this county, of which they were early settlers. They reared but two of their family of children. Mr. Hart has been gathered to his fathers, but his widow is still living. Mrs. Whewell is a native of this county. Her happy wedded life with our subject has been blessed by the birth of six children, three sons and three daughters, all of whom are living.
In every department of life that our subject has been called on to
fill he has shown himself to be a man of honor and unswerving integrity.
In his domestic relations he is a considerate husband and a devoted father,
passionately fond of his family. Both he and Mrs. Whewell and their daughter
Annie are members of the United Baptist Church and cordially cooperate
with their pastor and fellow members in any good work. Mr. Whewell's part
in public affairs has been creditable to him and advantageous to his precinct,
which he has served as Road Supervisor and School Director. He takes interest
enough in politics to do his duty a the polls, always voting with the Republican
party. The memory of his life on the battlefield is preserved by his connection
with the G.A.R. he being a valued member of Hesse Post, No. 203, at Winchester.
JUDGE HERBERT G. WHITLOCK, Counselor and Attorney-at-law, a native of this county, was born in the city of Jacksonville, during the time it was an unimportant hamlet, over fifty years ago, on the 24th of November, 1831. His parents, who had come to Illinois during its pioneer days, were John and Mary (Sheppard) Whitlock, natives respectively of Virginia and North Carolina. The paternal grandparents were William and Rosanna (Sheldon) Whitlock, natives of Virginia and Tennessee, and the grandfather a farmer by occupation.
Grandfather Whitlock came to Morgan County as early as 1829, and took up a tract of Government land along its southern line. There he carried on agriculture by the imperfect methods of those days, built up a comfortable home and spent the remainder of his life. He was the father of a large family of children, nine in number, and those who were permitted to survive were eventually numbered among the substantial citizens of that region. John, the father of our subject, came to this county the year previous to the removal of his father, accompanied by his wife and three children. He located on land four miles from the present site of Jacksonville, where he labored and accumulated a good property. Here five more children were added to the household circle, of whom lived to mature years, and seven still survive. These are Roseanna, Mrs. Hairgrove, of Jacksonville: Serena, Mrs. Taylor of Washington: Minerva, Mrs. Hairgrove, of Waverly, this county: Eveline S., Mrs. Vermillion, of Frankfort, Mo.: Mary E., Mrs. Nichols, of Howard, Kan.; and Della, Mrs. Harper, of this county. The maternal grandparents of our subject were Lewis and Alice (Johnson) Sheppard, natives respectively of Virginia and England. Grandmother Sheppard emigrated to America with her parents when a young girl twelve years old. Grandfather Sheppard was a well-educated man and taught school during his younger years. He came from Kentucky to this county in 1829, settling on a tract of land which he cultivated, and all through life followed his profession of teacher in addition. He also settled in the southern part of the county, and this family also included nine children, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood. Grandfather Sheppard served in the War of 1812, and was at the battle of New Orleans. He spent his last years at the old homestead in this county. Both the Whitlock and Sheppard families trace their ancestors to England.
The subject of this biography spent his younger years with his parents on the farm, until reaching his majority. As a boy at school he had been studious and fond of his books, and now resolved to become further advanced in practical knowledge. Entering Jacksonville Berean College, he continued as a student there until July, 1859, then commenced teaching and reading law. He pursued the latter in the office and under the instruction of Hon. I. L. Morrison, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work, and was admitted to the bar in 1866. In the meantime he had been employed in the Quartermaster's department in the army, at Cairo, Ill., and in 1862 became a member of the staff of Gen. Logan, and was employed in the duties attendant thereon until the close of the war.
Mr. Whitlock commenced the practice of his profession in the city of Jacksonville, operating for a time alone, but subsequently formed a partnership with William Gallaher which continued two years. In February, 1869, the firm was changed to Morrison, Whitlock & Gallaher, and continued until the death of Mr. G., in 1871. Since that time it has been Morrison & Whitlock. It is well known throughout this part of Illinois, as both members are men of strong intellect, extensive readers and thoroughly well informed.
Our subject was elected to the County Judgeship in 1865, holding
the position a period of four years and was Trustee of the asylum for the
insane from 1872 to 1876. He was also a member of the School Board in his
city four years. He is a man warmly interested in education, and all enterprises
tending to elevate the people and advance their welfare. There has presided
over the home for the last twenty years, one of the most estimable ladies
of Morgan County, who in her girlhood was Miss Fanny M. Woods, and to whom
he was married Oct. 19, 1869. Mrs. Whitlock was born Feb. 6, 1848, in Carlinville,
Macoupin County, and is the daughter of Dr. Levi and Martha (McClure) Woods,
who were born respectively in Franklin, this county, and Lebanon, Tenn.
They are now both dead. Mr. Whitlock, politically, votes independently,
aiming to support the men whom he considers best worthy to serve the interests
of the people. His pleasant and attractive home is located on East State
street, and is the frequent resort of the many friends of himself and his
excellent lady. He is in the enjoyment of a good property and all the comforts
ORLANDO WHITNEY. Prominent among the leading farmers of Central Illinois may be mentioned the gentlemen with whose name we introduce this biographical notice. He is thorough and skillful in the management of his affairs, highly successful and well_to_do, and is a great lover of fine horses, number of which may always be seen at his well_regulated homestead on section 36, township 13, range 12, Scott County. He has for the prosecution of this industry all modern conveniences and buildings, and in consideration of his close attention to business it is not surprising that he has attained to his present position.
Mr. Whitney was born at the homestead where he now lives, June 8, 1836 and is the son of Jonah Whitney, a native of Massachusetts, who emigrated to Illinois as early as 1835, and settled in this county, when a large portion of the land was still the property of the Government. He entered eighty acres from "Uncle Sam" and subsequently purchased several hundred acres, the greater part of which he brought to a good state of cultivation, and built up a good homestead upon which he spent the remainder of his days.
Mrs. Mary A. (Wadsworth) Whitney, the mother of our subject was the daughter of John Wadsworth, a descendant of William Wadsworth. It was this loyal patriot, who immortalized himself by hiding the charter of the Colonists in the old oak tree when Andros was endeavoring to gain possession of it and thus deprived the people of their liberties. For years afterward this oak tree stood a monument to the deed, and was ever reverenced as the "Charter Oak" To the parents of our subject there were born three children, those besides Orlando being Amelia and Albert, who died when about eighteen and twenty years of age respectively.
Orlando Whitney was reared to man's estate at the old homestead and became familiar with farm pursuits. He studied his lessons in the log cabin with seats made of slabs and desks made of boards fastened to the wall. The roof was covered with clapboards and weight_poles held them down; a log was cut out at one end of the structure and filled in with a row of window panes, this constituting the only window. The system of education was quite in keeping with the architecture of the temple of learning, but the boys of that period grew up almost without exception, strong of muscle and healthy in mind, well fitted to perform their part in the drama of life.
Young Whitney at an early age developed fine musical talents and taught singing school before reaching manhood. He also gave lessons on the violin and cornet and was the leader of the Cornet Band of Manchester for four years. On the 11th of September, 1862, he was united in marriage with Miss Sophia, daughter of James F. Curtis of Manchester Precinct. The young people commenced their wedded life together at his present home, and Mr. Whitney followed his chosen vocation of farming from that time onward. Six children in due time came to the fire_side, five of whom are now living, namely: George, Nellie, Kate, Albert, and Frank. George married Miss Nannie Ray. They live on his father's place, and have four children _ Earl, Richard, May, and an infant son unnamed. Nellie, (Mrs. Edward L. Smith) also lives near her childhood's home, and is the mother of three children _ Kenneth, Morris, and an infant daughter named Nellie C.; Kate is the wife of Thomas Hubble, of Manchester Precinct. The wife and mother departed this life May 31, 1886.
Our subject contracted a second marriage, Oct. 28, 1888, with Mrs. Mary (Dunn) Wines, widow of Andrew Wines and daughter of Andrew Dunn, deceased. Of her first marriage there were born three children, none of whom are living. Mr. Whitney is the owner of 800 acres of land, while his wife owns 180 acres in Neosha County, Kan. His horses are graded Norman, Hambletonians, and Almonts, and he is able to exhibit some of the finest specimens of the equine race in this part of Illinois. He has a race_track on his farm, where he does his own training, and as a result of judicious purchases and wise management he has several colts, which trot a mile in three minutes and one that could make it in 2:30. He also gives considerable attention to graded Holstien and Short_horn cattle and Poland_China swine. He keeps a number of goats among his pigs and chickens, believing them to be a preventive of cholera.
In political matters Mr. Whitney usually supports the principles
of the Republican party. Naturally his extensive farming interests absorb
the greater part of his time and attention so that he has little inclination
to enter upon the responsibilities of official life. He and his excellent
wife, together with their son, George, and daughter, Mary, belong to the
Christian Church at Manchester. Their hospitable home is the frequent resort
of the many friends whose confidence and esteem they enjoy in a marked
degree. Mr. Whitney occupies no secondary position among the extensive
and successful agriculturists of Scott County.
MICHAEL L. WHORTEN. In the career of the subject of this biographical outline we have that of a native-born citizen, who first opened his eyes to the light in this county, Oct. 22, 1836, and grew up with the country. His first impressions of life were obtained amid the surroundings of an unsettled region, at a time when the ground which is now occupied by farms, cities and villages, was practically untrod, except by wild animals and Indians, with only here and there the adventurous foot of the white man.
Mr. Whorten received a limited education in the pioneer schools and that careful home-training which resulted in forming a self-reliant character, and those habits of industry and frugality which seldom fail to bring a measure of success in life, and gain for a man a good position among his fellows. Being naturally quick to learn and observing, he grew up intelligent and well-informed, and remained a member of the parental household until approaching the thirtieth year of his age. Then, being able to establish a home of his own, he was married March, 1866, to Miss Martha A. Green.
Mr. and Mrs. Whorten, after their marriage, established themselves in a modest home on land which he had purchased, opposite where he now lives. They took possession of their present homestead in June, 1866. This comprises 192 acres of choice farming land, which Mr. Whorten has brought to a good state of cultivation, redeeming it from the raw prairie, and upon which he has effected all the improvements with which it is now embellished. In due time the family circle was enlarged by the birth of five children, the eldest of whom, a daughter, Louie I., is the wife of George H. Nergenah, of this county. Fielder L., Gray, Joseph W. and William are with their parents at home.
Our subject is the son of John and Mary (Letton) Whorten, who were natives of Kentucky, and who emigrated to Illinois during the thirties, first locating in Scott County, but two years afterward settling in what is now known as Concord Precinct, where they were among the earliest pioneers. The father took up a tract of land and labored on it faithfully until his death, which took place Sept. 5, 1874. The mother died in August, 1875. Five of their children are living, viz.: Joseph, Elizabeth, Thomas, Michael L. (our subject), and Eliza. Julia A., Sarah, Mary J. and George W. are deceased.
Mrs. Whorten was born June 28, 1846, and, like her husband, is a native of this county. Her parents were William and Catherine (Long) Green, and her father was a native of Tennessee. They were among the earliest pioneers of this section. The family consisted of eight children, and the survivors are recorded as follows: Melissa is the wife of J. E. Bayless, of this county; James R. is a resident of Springfield; Mary is the wife of C. G. Milnes, of California; Nancy married D. R. Mason, of Fairfield, Iowa; William lives in Cass County, this State; Martha., Mrs. Whorten, was the next in order of birth; George is a resident of Beardstown, and Catherine is the wife of Isaac Ratcliff, of Ashland, Ill.
Mr. Whorten, in his labors and struggles, has been greatly assisted
by his estimable wife, who has fulfilled the duties of wife and mother
in a most admirable manner. Both are members in good standing of the Christian
Church at Concord, in which our subject has officiated as Deacon and been
one of its chief pillars. Politically, he votes the straight Republican
ticket. Probably no man in the county has done more downright hard work,
and there are certainly none who are held in higher esteem for the qualities
of character which were most needed in the settlement of a new country.
During his younger years he broke prairie by the slow method of an ox team,
and carried on farming amid many other disadvantages, and with machinery
far inferior to that of the present time. He has looked with wonder and
admiration upon the progress of the age, and has in all respects fulfilled
his obligations as an honest man and a good citizen.
GEORGE W. WHORTON. A man has not lived in vain when leaving behind him those who hold his name in loving remembrance. The subject of this memoir, who passed from earth on the 28th of May, 1888, in Concord Precinct, had spent nearly his entire life in this county, whose people had learned to estimate him at his true worth. He belonged to an excellent family, was reared to manhood healthful and vigorous in mind and body, and built up a valuable estate on section 24, township 16, range 12.
Mr. Whorton was born in this county, and was the son of John and Mary Whorton. The boyhood and youth of George W., our subject, passed in a comparatively uneventful manner, nothing of importance transpiring until the outbreak of the Civil War. He then enlisted in Company B, 101st Illinois Infantry, and did good service as a soldier until the close of the war, participating in many important battles thereof - being at Bull Run, and marching with Sherman to the sea. During this time he seldom missed a roll-call, was never wounded, and, although suffering hardship and privation in common with his comrades, he returned home comparatively unharmed.
On the 4th of April, 1867, George W. Whorton was united in marriage with Miss Naomi Ream. This lady was born Nov. 4, 1844, on North Prairie, Cass Co., Ill. She is still living, and occupies the valuable homestead left her by her husband, and which is located as noted in our opening paragraph. Mrs. Whorton is the daughter of Daniel and Mary (Parr) Ream, the latter of whom was a native of Kentucky. The Ream family is of German ancestry. The parents of Mrs. Ream were early settlers of Cass County, this State, and located on North Prairie. Their family included six children, three of whom survive, namely: Mrs. Whorton; Lydia, the wife of James Van Dyke, of Gallatin, Mo., and Maggie, the wife of Anderson Hood, of Cherokee City, Ark.
Mrs. Whorton suffered the loss of her mother when about twelve years old, and was then taken into the family of the late John H. Fox, of this county, where she lived until her marriage, which occurred April 4, 1867. Mr. and Mrs. Whorton commenced their wedded life together in Concord Precinct, and for years with the mutual purpose of building up a homestead for themselves and their children, and giving to the latter advantages beyond what they themselves had enjoyed in their youth. They were greatly prospered in their labors, and Mr. Whorton at his death left a valuable farm of 200 acres and other property. As an agriculturist he was thorough and skillful, and as a man and a citizen possessed all the elements which inspire esteem and respect among men. He was a man of decided views - one whose opinions were held in respect - and gave his support, politically, to the Republican party. In his death, Morgan County lost one of her best citizens and most enterprising men. He was not a member of any G. A. R. post, but, at the request of immediate friends, the funeral was conducted by Chapin Post No. 524, under Commander Anderson, assisted by Camp No. 40, of Chapin, and Camp No. 20, of Concord. A sermon was delivered by the Rev. A. J. Ives, at the residence, and was listened to by a large audience which had assembled to show their respects to the deceased. When the last carriage had passed down the drive-way at his late home the hearse had almost reached the cemetery, about a mile distant. The beautiful burial service of the Grand Army was then delivered by the officers present. Most all of the brothers and a goodly number of the comrades attended in regulation uniform, and the services were exceedingly impressive. To Mr. and Mrs. Whorton was born a family of five children, only two of whom survive namely: Jessie M. and Grace E. The others are Oscar, Charles W., and a babe unnamed, who died in infancy.
Mrs. Whorton and her two daughters reside at the homestead - a very
pleasant place, where they are surrounded by the comforts of life. Mrs.
Whorton and her daughters are active members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, and are prominent and popular in the social circles of their community.
County main page