PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
J. C. VALLENTINE. The science of farming has received much attention from the subject of this notice, who believes that a small tract of land thoroughly cultivated yields more satisfactory results than a large area partially neglected. He therefore secured only eighty acres, but it comprises some of the choicest land in township 16, range 11, and is eligibly located on section 19. Mr. Vallentine, however, has his residence in the village of Concord, where he owns a good home, and is practically retired from active labor.
Our subject came to this part of Morgan County in the fall of 1846, and since that time has devoted himself largely to the business of a carpenter and joiner, also having a good understanding of the finer trade of cabinet-making. Soon after coming here he established a shop in Concord, but there being then little call for the products of his handiwork, he secured his land and interested himself in agriculture until an increase of population should give him employment at his trade.
Mr. Vallentine first landed in Morgan County at Meredosia, March 5, 1845, a young man, and with a capital of $18 and his trade. He loaned all but $3 of his capital at 12 percent interest for a year, then called it in and decided to locate in Concord, of which he has since been a resident. He was born near Adamsburg, in what was then Adams but is now Westmoreland County, Pa., Dec. 21, 1819, and is the son of Michael Vallentine, a native of Lebanon County, that State. The paternal grandfather of our subject was born in Germany, and coming to America when a young man, settled in the unbroken wilderness of Lebanon County, Pa., where he improved a farm and spent the remainder of his life, dying when quite aged. He married a lady of his own country, who accompanied him to the United States and shared his fortunes the greater part of his life, she too living to be well advanced in years. Grandfather Vallentine, although working industriously, did not accumulate a very great amount of property, but lived honestly, and, with his estimable wife, steadfastly adhered to the doctrines of the Lutheran Church.
Michael Vallentine, the father of our subject, acquired a thorough knowledge of farming, and also learned the shoemaker's trade. In fact, he was a natural mechanic, and could do almost anything with tools. When a young man he emigrated to Adams County, Pa., and was there married to Miss Catherine Fillman, who was born and reared in Lycoming County, and came of German parentage. After their marriage, the parents of our subject lived in Pennsylvania until 1847, and then determined to seek the young State of Illinois. They set out on the journey overland with teams, accompanied by their nine children, camping and cooking by the wayside, and sleeping in their wagon wherever night overtook them.
On landing in this county the parents of our subject settled near the present sight of Concord, to which their son, J. G., had preceded them two years. Here they spent the remainder of their lives, the mother dying about 1869, at the age of seventy-two years, and the father in 1878, aged eighty-four. The latter belonged to the Lutheran church, while the mother was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian. They were the parents of eleven children, four sons and seven daughters, and nearly all lived to mature years.
The subject of this sketch was the eldest son and second child of his parents, and received only such school advantages as were afforded in a section of country thinly populated, with the cabins of settlers few and far between. He set out at an early age to learn the trade of a cabinetmaker, under the instruction of Andrew Wise, in Allenwell, Miflin Co., Pa., and two years later commanded good wages, being an expert workman. He came to Morgan County a single man, and in due time met and married Miss Elizabeth Rentschler. This lady was born in Snyder County, Pa., in 1824, and is the daughter of George and Catherine (Survey) Rentschler, who were natives of Pennsylvania, and who came to Morgan County about 1838. They located near concord, and occupied one home until the death of the father, which occurred in 1879. The mother is still living, although in feeble health, and is about eighty-four years of age.
The childhood and youth of Mrs. Vallentine were spent, in a quiet
and uneventful manner, under the home roof, amid the pioneer scenes of
Morgan County, where she developed into a pleasing womanhood, and in due
time became the wife of our subject. Of the six children who blest their
union, two - Mary L. and Lovina - died in early childhood; the eldest daughter
living - Catherine - is the wife of c. Roach, a painter by trade, and they
reside in concord; Rosa, the widow of Samuel Martin, has one child, and
makes her home with her father; John Major married Miss Jennie Standley,
and they live on a farm in Clark County, Kan.; Effie M. is the wife of
Charles Martin, a carpenter of Collinsville, Ill. Mr. Vallentine, since
becoming a voting citizen has uniformly supported the principles of the
HERMAN D. VANNIER is a native of Hanover, Germany, where he was born October 1, 1832, and reared on a farm. His father, Frederick Vannier, was also a native of Hanover, Germany, and by trade a gunsmith. He removed to London, England, and there enlisted in the English army, and was sent back to Germany to fight the french from 1812 to 1815. In 1851 he came to America, and died very soon after he landed, at the age of sixty-two years. His wife was Kate Shown. She was also born in Hanover, and came to America in 1851 and died in 1855, leaving six children: Dick, henry, Margaret, Annie, Herman and Mary. Dick and Henry were both in the Mexican War.
Herman D. received a common school education in his native land and after he became ten years of age he worked on a farm for his father. IN 1851 he came to America with his parents, leaving Bremen on the sailing vessel "Tousan;" after a voyage which covered eight weeks and three days, they landed in New Orleans, whence they came directly to St. Louis. From St. Louis he came to Scott County and from here he proceeded to Peoria, where he followed the work of firing on a steamboat, a business he prosecuted for some time. In 1857 he came to Scott County and rented some land, which he continued doing for eight years, after which time he bought eighty acres. By dint of hard work and under many disadvantages, he cleared this tract of land and stayed on it until 1875, when he purchased his present place of 290 acres. This farm was an improved one, partially, and he has since cleared it up until he has now 175 acres under the plow, well fenced, and containing a splendid orchard. It is well watered by springs, and upon it is erected a large commodious farm house and other buildings. He is engaged in a general farm business, and among other things raises Clydesdale horses. His cattle and hogs are of improved breeds, and a source of considerable revenue to him.
Mr. Vannier was married in Peoria, in February, 1852, to Miss Mary Middendorf, a native of Hanover. Her father was a soldier in Germany, and also a farmer. He came to America in 1860 and located at Bluffs, where he engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in August, 1878. Her mother was also a native of Germany, and died July 4, 1886, leaving eight children, of whom Mrs. Vannier was the eldest, having been born Jan. 15, 1828. While yet in Germany she learned the dressmaker's trade, a calling she pursued until her emigration to America. She crossed the ocean on the same ship as her husband did. She was the mother of eight children: Henry W., Annie, George J., John D., Mary K., Frederick G., Carrie A., and William (deceased). Henry married Ada Bloyd, and is now a resident of Seward, Neb.; Annie married John Gansman, and they also reside at Seward, Neb.; George married Emma Aldridge, and is farming at Bluffs; John married Annie Morthole, and they are residing in Seward, Neb.; Mary married John O'Harra, who is a coal miner at Centerville, Iowa. The rest of the children are at home with their parents.
Mr. Vannier is a Democrat, and has held the office of School Director
for three years. He is also an active member of the Lutheran Church. Mr.
V. is of the hard working farmers whose modesty is apparent, and is adverse
to ;publicly parading his actions, but nevertheless he is one of the solid
farmers of this county, and one who will leave to his children the priceless
heritage of a good name.
GEORGE VASEY, a stock-raiser, and farmer, resides on section 29, township 15 and range 11, where he owns and operates a splendid farm of 169 acres, twenty acres of which is good timber. This farm is well improved, and is the old homestead entered by the maternal grandfather of Mr. Vasey as early as 1832. Mr. Vasey has lived on this farm since 1859, and since he commenced residing upon it has made some improvements.
Mr. Vasey was born in North Riding, near Scarboro, Yorkshire, England, March 11, 1837, and is an excellent representative of the progressive English farmer. He inherited in a large degree the painstaking and careful plan of husbandry that is of necessity practiced in his native land It is an established fact that the people who come from the old countries, where land is scarce and poverty plentiful, and where the habits of economy in living, and the thorough plan of cultivating land obtains, make better farmers than a great many who were reared in this country. It is well known that in a good many cases where plenty exists waste follows, and so in this country, where there is an abundance of land, the people are not so careful of the way they cultivate it as are the old country farmers.
John Vasey, the father of George, was the son of John Vasey, Sr.,
both being natives of Yorkshire, England. The senior Mr. Vasey was a farmer
in Yorkshire, and lived and died there. He was about three score and ten
years of age at the time of his death. John Vasey, Jr., the father of the
subject of this sketch, was reared in his native county, and for a few
years, when a yong man, spent his time as a sailor. He was married in England
to Miss Hannah Richardson, who was a sister of Vincent Richardson, of whom
a sketch appears in this Album. John Vasey and wife, after marriage, began
life as farmers, and to them were born seven children, their births all
occurring in Yorkshire. The entire family came to the United States in
the spring of 1849, landing at Quebec, Canada, after an uneventful voyage
of eight weeks and three days. From Quebec they proceeded by land and water
to Illinois, and in the summer of the same year they reached Morgan County.
The senior Vasey procured land and immediately set about making a home,
and when he died, in July 1871, he had been the owner of about 600 acres
of good and well-improved land. He started his children liberally in life.
Mr. Vasey died when he was sixty-eight years old, having well rounded out
a most useful and virtuous life. When he passed away the county lost a
good citizen. His wife survived him, she dying in 1884, being then about
seventy-one years of age. She was a kind mother, a good neighbor, and was
thoroughly well liked by everyone with whom she came in contact, and her
memory will long be cherished by her children. George Vasey was educated
chiefly in Morgan County, and here received his first ideas of "getting
on in the world." He went back to England and was married in Lincolnshire,
April 15, 1867, to Emma Grant, who was born there in 1843. She is the daughter
of James Grant, who was a successful businessman in Lincolnshire, and died
ripe in years. The mother of Mrs. Vasey died young, and but little is known
of her history. Mrs. Vasey is the mother of three children: John J., Laura
B., and Charles H., all of whom are at home. Politically, Mr. Vasey followed
in the footsteps of his father and brothers, and is a sound Democrat, but
he cares little for politics, except when local affairs are involved. He
is one of the solid men of this town, and one who is greatly respected
for his sterling qualities.
JOHN VASEY. The farmer who depends wholly upon raising grain, as a rule, is not successful. When a crop fails it is a disastrous blow to him, and so, many Illinois farmers have taken up diversified husbandry, and are not dependent wholly upon one kind of crop. Many have gone extensively into stock-raising, and this is a business that rarely ever fails. The grain that is raised is fed upon the farm, and two profits are made, on eon the grain and the other upon the stock. Mr. Vasey has a farm of 165 acres, consisting of the best of land which he inherited from his father's estate. He is engaged in stock-raising, and as a result of good management, has been very successful.
Mr. Vasey came with his parents to this county in 1849, and has lived in the township where he now resides, since 1852. He is a native of Yorkshire, England, and was born Feb. 27, 1841. His father, John Vasey, was a Yorkshire, Englishman, and after he became of age, married Anna S. Richardson, a native of the same shire. The senior Vasey was engaged as a pork packer in the old country, and until he came to America. John Vasey, the father of the subject of this sketch, came from a prominent English family, who were the owners of a large tract of real estate in Yorkshire, England, where the Vaseys had lived for many generations.
It was after the birth of all the family of seven children, four of whom are living, when on May 21, 1849, the Vasey family left their native heath for Hull, England, where they took passage for Quebec, and after a voyage of eight weeks and three days, landed in America. From Quebec they came directly to Morgan County, and located near Lynnville, where they resided until 1852. They then removed to the township in which the subject of this sketch now resides, and were the father attained a fine property. At the time of his death he was the owner of 600 acres of splendid land, a small portion of which was valuable timber. John Vasey, Sr., died at his home July 20, 1871, at the age of sixty-five years. His wife survived him, and died June 17, 1884, aged seventy-two, and so a worthy couple passed away leaving to their children a heritage beyond price, that of a good name.
John Vasey, of whom this sketch is written, had the advantage of a good training by worthy parents. He lived at home until after the death of his father, and in 1875 made a trip to his native home in England, and was there married. The ceremony occurred at St. Michaels, in Malton, and the bride was Miss Isabella Danby. She was a native of York, England, and was born in Jan. 1851. She is the daughter of English parents, William and Annie A. (Marshall) Danby. Her father, William Danby, was a successful furniture and cabinet-maker until his death, which occurred in Malton, England. He was a prominent man in his shire, and was reckoned as an influential and good citizen. His wife, who survives him, is now in America, living with her daughter, Mrs. Vasey. She is past sixty-seven years of age, but is in the enjoyment of good health, and is an intelligent lady. Mrs. Vasey obtained a good education in her native country, and is the worthy daughter of worthy parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Vasey fully appreciate their nice home and enjoy it.
They have no children of their own, but are foster parents of one child,
Louisa Jones, an intelligent Miss of fourteen years. Politically Mr. Vasey
is a Democrat, and he takes great interest in the public affairs of his
adopted country. His success in his line of business is due to the fact
that he never stopped short of obtaining the best, no matter what it cost.
RICHARDSON VASEY was born in Yorkshire, England, May 9, 1849, and after a most useful life, died at his home in Jacksonville, March 21, 1884. He had retired somewhat from active business, but had carried on his farm most of the time until his death. He entered the mercantile business in partnership with Adam Funk about one year before his death, and was fast attaining distinction in this calling, when he was called away.
Mr. Vasey was the son of John and Hannah (Richardson) Vasey. A full family history of the Richardsons appears in another part of this volume in the biography of Vincent Richardson. John Vasey, after married lived in England until all his family was born. On May 27, 1849, they bid farewell to their native land, and after a journey of eight weeks and three days, landed in New York, whence they immediately proceeded to Morgan County, and there settled in township 15, range, 11, and here John Vasey and wife spent their last days in affluence, and died in the old home that was the scene of their battle for independence, and which they gallantly won. John Vasey died July 20, 1871. He was born Oct. 1, 1804. His wife survived him until June 16, 1884, when she died at the age of seventy-four years. Mr. and Mrs. Vasey were members of the English Church, and were much beloved by all their acquaintances.
Richardson Vasey, was the youngest of his family but one. He was five years old when his people landed in America. He began his education in the common schools, and completed it at the State College at Jacksonville, and also at a college located at Allegheny City, Pa. After finishing his education, he became a successful and intelligent farmer. He secured a good farm of 160 acres which is now in an excellent state of cultivation. Everything that he undertook was finished, and in a satisfactory manner. He was painstaking in every small detail, and believed in the principle of "that which is worth doing at all, is worth doing well." He was very active in politics, and had been from early life. He was firmly intrenched in the Democratic principles, and he is given the credit of fighting many a good battle for his party. He was a born leader, a fact which was exhibited in his political doings. IN 1878 he was elected from his district, to a seat in the State Legislature. As a lawmaker, he left behind him a good record for integrity and faithfulness. He was a reader of great scope, and there were few men in his portion of the country, whose general intelligence covered a wider field. He was particularly interested in astronomy, and in this branch of science, his knowledge was extended. The shelves of his library were filled with the choicest selection of books, which were not placed there for ornamental purposes, but for use, and it is a safe assertion to make, that he read every book he bought, as he was of an eminently studious bent, and was ever in search of knowledge. He at one time carried on a large local correspondence for newspapers, and was a writer of more than ordinary talent. As a man, Mr. Vasey was respected by all parties for his simple honesty and sincerity of purpose. He was genial, kind hearted, and made many friends by his uniform courtesy and willingness to aid those who needed it. Charity to him was a cardinal virtue.
Mr. Vasey was married in Morgan County, near Lynnville, on Aug. 20, 1877, to Miss Virginia B. Gordon, who was a native of this county, and whose birth occurred Oct. 28, 1853. She was the daughter of Hon. John and Sarah P. (Funk) Gordon. Her mother died at her home near Lynnville, on Sept. 12, 1873, where she was born and reared, at the age of forty-two years. She enjoyed the reputation of being a good woman, and a sincere Christian. Mr. Gordon married for his second wife, Mrs. Emma Dayton, and now lives in Jacksonville, and carries on his farm near Lynnville. Mr. Gordon is one of the reliable and leading Republicans of Morgan County, and has represented his district with ability in the State Legislature several terms. He was born on his father's old homestead near Lynnville, where he was reared and attended the common schools. He finished his education at an Ohio college. On the whole it may be said that he is a very successful man.
Mrs. Vasey was educated at the old Atheneum, a female seminary that
once existed in Jacksonville. She was also graduated at the Conservatory
of Music in the same city. She is a bright and intelligent woman, and an
active member of the Christian Church. She has two children, Raymond G.,
DR. CHARLES M. VERTREES. A residence of thirteen years in Murrayville, and that length of time a practitioner of medicine and surgery, has fully established the subject of this sketch in the esteem and confidence of the residents of this locality, who look upon him as one of their leading men, both professionally and as a member of the community. He is a scion of old Kentucky stock, although a native of this State, having been born in Pike County, March 1, 1838. His parents were John and Nancy (Bradbury) Vertrees, the father born in the Blue Grass State, and the mother in Ohio.
About 1839, when our subject was a year old, his parents moved to Fulton County, where they probably lived six years. We next find them in Knox County, where they sojourned until our subject was reared to man's estate. The father during those years was engaged in agricultural pursuits, but finally retired from active duties of life, and is now a resident of Galesburg, Ill. The mother died June 8, 1888.
The early education of our subject was obtained in the district school, but when approaching his majority, anxious to gain further knowledge, he entered Abingdon College, where he applied himself to his books one year. Then followed the outbreak of the Civil War, and at its beginning in April, 1861, he enlisted as a Union soldier in Company E, 17th Illinois Infantry. His regiment was assigned to the army of the Southwest under command of Gen. Grant, and young Vertrees fought at one battle of Frederickstown, Mo., and received a painful wound in the face, which confined him in a hospital a number of weeks. As soon as convalescent he rejoined his regiment, and met the enemy in battle at Ft. Donelson, Shiloh, the siege of Vicksburg, and numerous other engagements and skirmishes. He served the regular term of his enlistment, was promoted to First Sergeant, and after receiving his honorable discharge, re-enlisted in 1865 in Hancock's 7th Veteran Corps, which was mostly assigned to guard duty around the cities of Washington and Philadelphia. He remained with the army until early in 1866, and served as Sergeant Major of his regiment. At Vicksburg he was struck by a spent canister shot, from which, however, he soon recovered.
Upon retiring from the service, our subject began the study of medicine with Dr. S. D. Pollock, of Abingdon, and now of Galesburg, with whom he remained about two years. During the winter of 1868-69, he attended Rush Medical College at Chicago, and at the close of the term began the practice of his profession at Bath, in this State. Subsequently he passed examination by the State Board of Health, and was duly licensed to practice in the State. He sojourned at Bath about one year, and then took up his abode in Murrayville, where he has since resided.
Dr. Vertrees was married July 20, 1871, to Miss Amelia D. Fields, daughter of Dr. Fields of Mason County, this State. This union resulted in the birth of three children, two of whom, Ione A., and J. William are deceased. The only daughter living, Sada A., was born May 7, 1877. The Doctor as an ex-soldier, belongs to Watson Post G.A.R. of which he was Commander one year. He is also identified with the I.O.O.F., and is the Treasurer of his lodge. He has passed all the Chairs and represented it in the Grand Lodge. He is an honored member of the Masonic fraternity, and in this has served as Senior Warden.
Mrs. Vertrees is a lady held in high respect in her community, and
an active member of the Presbyterian Church. Our subject, politically,
votes the straight Republican ticket, and is quite prominent in local affairs,
holding the office as President of the Village Board of Tustees, and is
also President of the Board of School Directors. He has obtained to his
present position solely by his own efforts, receiving no financial assistance
at the start, and having no capital but his good health and persevering
disposition. He is popular both among his professional brethren and as
a citizen, and is widely and favorably known throughout Murrayville and
JOHN VIRGIN is one of the most extensive farmers and stock raisers in Morgan County, and is the owner of one of its largest and most valuable farms, comprising 2,000 acres lying mostly in township 16, north; range 8, west. Here he has the most beautiful home (a commodious frame house of a good style of architecture, well and tastefully furnished, and replete with all the modern conveniences for making life comfortable,) situated in the midst of velvety lawns adorned with lovely flowers, shrubbery, maples, evergreens and other kinds of shade trees, the whole making a charming scenic feature in the landscape.
Our subject comes of good old Pennsylvania stock, and his grandfather, Eli Virgin, was born in Fayette County, that State, was bred to the life of a farmer, and in due time married and reared a family on the same farm where he had been born and had grown to manhood. He died on the old homestead at the age of sixty years, and there his wife, who lived to be seventy years old, also drew her last breath. Their son, John H., father of our subject was born April 19, 1796, and in 1820 he was married in Fayette County, to Miss Margaret, daughter of John Hughes, of Greene County, Pa. They continued to reside in their native state a few years and in 1826, with their little family and some of their household effects, they started for the wilds of Kentucky, and finally arriving in Greenup County, located there. A few years later, in 1830 they recrossed the Ohio River and established themselves in Knox County, Ohio. Thence they moved to Menard County, Ill., in 1851, and stayed their earthly pilgrimage and their remaining days were spent there in peace and plenty. The father passed to the world beyond the grave in October, 1858, aged sixty-four years, and the mother followed him in December, 1863, aged nearly sixty-six years. Of their children, Eli, Mary and George were born in Pennsylvania, John was born in Kentucky, and Maria and Ruth in Ohio.
The early days of the life of our subject were passed in Kentucky and Ohio, and when he accompanied his parents to Illinois he was in the prime of young manhood, stout of heart, strong of muscle, and clear headed, able to cope with anything that might interfere with his plans of making his life a success. In 1859 he came to this county and bought a part of the farm where he now lives. His capital at that time was rather limited, but not so his earnest confidence in his ability to do whatsoever he set out to do, and he bought 250 acres of his homestead at the rate of $40 per acre, going in debt to the amount of $2,000. In the years of hard labor that followed he worked to good purpose, and by the quiet force of persistent efforts, directed by sound discretion and constant devotion to duty, he succeeded where so many have failed and not only cleared off the indebtedness on his realty, but has added more to it by subsequent purchases till at present he owns one of the largest farms in this vicinity, nearly all of it in a body. His land is under a fine state of cultivation, and is amply provided with barns and other buildings for all necessary purposes. He usually raises 600 acres of corn each year, and never sells a bushel of it, except to accommodate a neighbor, but uses it all to feed his large numbers of cattle and hogs. He is engaged very extensively in stock-raising and generally feeds and ships about 300 head of cattle, and from 300 to 500 hogs a year. The entire farm is under his supervision, and he has several tenant houses on the place for his workmen. He raises a good deal of fine fruit, and has an orchard of about six acres of choice varieties of apples, pears, peaches, etc.
Mr. Virgin was married in Menard County, in October, 1856, to Miss Mary E. Gibbs, and she has been to him all that a true and helpful wife can be. Her parents, William and Elizabeth (Hall) Gibbs, were born and reared in England, and accompanied their respective parents to the United States when young. They located near Baltimore, and from that city came to Illinois in 1840, and have spent their remaining days. Mr. and Mrs. Virgin have nine children living, as follows: Charles F., who married Hattie Lathom, and lives on the home farm; Hattie E. now Mrs. George Deweese, of this township; Clara M., now Mrs. Samuel Willet of Springfield; Anna, Luella, John H., Byron, Leon, and Inez.
Mr. Virgin is a man of large enterprise and of more than ordinary
intelligence and ability, as is seen in the shrewd management of his extensive
interests, whereby he has acquired wealth. He is influential in public
affairs, as a man of his position who has done so much to advance his adopted
county ought to be, and for six years he served as County Commissioner
for Morgan County, having been elected to that office in 1873. He and his
family stand high in the social circles of the community, and are exceedingly
hospitable, friend or stranger oft receiving a warm welcome in their charming
home, and being royally feasted at their bountiful board.
CHARLES F. VIRGIN is numbered among the intelligent and wide-awake young Americans, who are actively promoting the various interests of Morgan County. He devotes himself to farming in a general way, raising both grain and stock, and is rightly considered one of the most skillful and energetic of the younger members of his calling. He is a native of Illinois, born in Menard County, Aug. 26, 1857, and is a son of John Virgin, well known as one of the leading agriculturists of this part of Illinois. For his life record see his biography on another page of this volume.
Our subject was quite young when his parents removed to Morgan County, and he was reared to man's estate on his father's farm in this township. He gained the basis of a liberal education in the local district school, and was sent to the Business College at Jacksonville to complete it, and there pursued a fine course of study. He was a bright and apt pupil, and stood high in the estimation of his teachers and fellow students, both on account of his excellent scholarship, and his pleasant, genial manners. He had been bred to the life of a farmer, and as a keen observer and an intelligent lad he had gained a good practical knowledge of the calling in all its branches, and when it came time for him to decide upon a vocation he naturally turned his attention to agriculture, and has since pursued it with characteristic energy, bringing to his work a clear judgment and a good capacity for labor, and the success that has follows his efforts is well merited.
Feb. 2, 1888, Mr. Virgin was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Lathom,
daughter of one of the leading families of this section. For parental history
see sketch of her father, W. J. Lathom, on another page of this work. Mr.
and Mrs. Virgin have a pretty attractive home, whose pleasant hospitality
are graciously extended to hosts of warm friends. Mr. Virgin is a member
of the Anti-Horse Thief Association, of Prentice, and he is active in every
enterprise that is likely in any way to benefit the community, and elevate
its moral and social status.
MARTIN VOGEL, manufacturer of carriages, buggies, wagons, sleighs, etc., and every description of a road vehicle, may usually be found at his headquarters No. 225 North Sandy street. He was born in Texas in1842, and when a child three years of age removed with his parents to Cincinnati, Ohio. The latter were George P. and Martha (Swain) Vogel, who were natives of Germany. The father operated for many years as a contractor and builder, and is now living in retirement at Lawrenceburg, Ind.
The parental household includes eight children. Martin received a common-school education like his brothers and sisters and when a youth of fifteen years commenced his apprenticeship at the trade of a carriage-maker under the instructions of his father in Cincinnati, Ohio. After working eighteen months his peaceful vocation was changed to that of a soldier in the Union army, as he enlisted in Company D, 32d Indiana Infantry, in which he yielded a faithful service of thirty-seven months. He participated in many of the important battles, and at Altona received an honorable wound. He was in the battle at Green River, Ky., at Shiloh, Murfreesboro, Perry Hill, Chickamauga, and went with Sherman in his march to the sea. At Murfreesboro he was captured by the enemy and confined in Libby and Castle Thunder prisons for three months. Otherwise than to suffer the natural results of privations and exposure, he came out unharmed and received an honorable discharge.
Upon leaving the army mr. Vogel returned to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he completed his trade, developing into a journeyman. The year 1867 found him in Morgan County, and in the city of Jacksonville, he entered the employ of Richards & Co., with whom he remained until 1871. He then commenced business for himself and by his straight forward method of carrying on his affairs, his industry and integrity he was soon in the enjoyment of a large patronage and giving employment at times to as many as nine men. The success has continued to the present time and he is now numbered among the leading business men of Jacksonville, his manufactory being classed among its leading interests.
One of the most important events in the life of our subject was his
marriage in 1872, with Miss Laura A., daughter of R. G. don Carlos. To
Mr. and Mrs. Vogel there was born one child only, a son, Earl. Mr. Vogel
is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the I.O.O.F., and politically,
a stanch Republican. The neat and comfortable family residence is located
at No. 412 South Main street.
County main page