PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
WILLIAM SHEPHERD. This late well-known pioneer of Morgan County, came to Illinois in 1841, became a resident of Morgan County in 1844 and spent his last peaceful days at the farm now owned and occupied by his son, William W., a prominent farmer and stock-raiser, residing on section 33 and a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work.
The subject of this sketch was born in Kentucky, Jan. 7, 1803, and early in life removed to Ohio, where he lived until emigrating to Illinois. In this State he located first in LaSalle County and two years later, as before mentioned, took up his residence in Morgan, and after many years spent in the labor incident to pioneer life gradually retired from its more active duties and departed this life in July, 1879. The maiden name of his wife was Jane L. Blair, a native of Tennessee. The parents of Mrs. Shepherd left the Blue Grass State when she was very young, removing to Ohio, in which State she lived until her marriage which occurred July 13, 1826. She, with her husband, endured the hardships and privations incident to life in a new country and departed hence three years prior to his decease, her death occurring July 12, 1876, when she was seventy-one years old. The united with the Presbyterian Church in her youth, and maintained her membership throughout the remainder of a long and worthy life.
To William and Jane L. (Blair) Shepherd, there was born a family of eight children of whom the record is as follows: William W., was born May 5, 1827, and has already been mentioned; James A., was born June 17, 1828, married Miss Alvira Drury of Morgan County, and is now living at Newton, Iowa; they have four children - Charles J., Frederick, Frank and a babe unnamed. Martha J., was born Jan. 30, 1832 and died May 10, 1885; she married J. H. Hill, of Jacksonville, and became the mother of four children - Mary J., Ella F., Eva J., and Grace C. George was born Feb. 14, 1834, married Mary Stephenson, of Sangamon County and lives near Sidney, Neb., where he is engaged in farming; during the late Civil War he served in the Union Army as Wagonmaster. Richard M. was born April 14, 1837, enlisted as a Union soldier in the 101st Illinois Infantry and went with Sherman on his famous march to the sea; he is now engaged in the nursery business near Bloomington. Joseph W. was born March 28, 1840 and during the Civil War enlisted in the 101st Illinois Infantry and was Superintendent of Fortifications at Memphis, Tenn., until his death, which occurred in 1862. Emily A. was born Aug. 10, 1842 and was married to Mr. George Johnson; John B., was born May 26, 1856 and died that same day.
The Shepherds form a part and parcel of the worth and respectability
of Morgan County, being honest, upright, intelligent citizens, lovers of
law and order, and who have exercised no unimportant part in bringing this
section to its present condition, socially, morally and financially. Every
man who has lived honestly, built up a homestead and reared his children
to become worthy citizens, has performed a goodly share in the great drama
of life and is worthy of being held in remembrance.
WILLIAM W. SHEPHERD, one of the most prominent farmers and stock raisers of Morgan County, came to the Prairie State a poor man and by the exercise of diligence and economy has amassed a modest fortune. His real estate comprises a farm of well-tilled land, 230 acres in extent, with a handsome residence, a substantial barn and all the other buildings necessary for the prosecution of general agriculture and the care and keeping of fine stock. In the latter industry he is associated with his son Morris H. They make a specialty of Shorthorn cattle of the best strains and have been eminently successful. Their reputation in this line is not confined to their own immediate neighborhood but extends throughout the State. As a thorough and skillful farmer Mr. Shepherd occupies a position in the front rank, while as a citizen he is first-class.
A native of Adams County, Ohio, Mr. Shepherd was born May 5, 1827, and spent his childhood and youth amid the pioneer scenes of the Buckeye State, acquiring a fair education mostly in the common schools of his native county. In 1841, when he was a lad of fourteen years his father decided to push further westward, and came to LaSalle County, this State, where the family sojourned two years. In 1844 the father and his son, William W. purchased a farm near Orleans, which remained the family homestead for a quarter of a century. The next removal was to the farm now owned and occupied by our subject, where the parents, William and Jane L. (Blair) shepherd spent their last years. A sketch of them will be found on another page in this volume.
The subject of this notice at the age of twenty-five years was first married at Jacksonville, Ill., Oct. 12, 1852, to Miss Susan M. Simpson, who was born in South Hampton, England, April 6, 1831. Her mother died in England and Susan M. came with her father to America in 1844, when a child of thirteen years. She had then received the rudiments of a good education in that well-known institution, Miss Chapman's Female Seminary, near London. Her union with our subject resulted in the birth of five children who are recorded as follows: Morris H., was born March 29, 1854, is unmarried and engaged with his father in operating the homestead; Emma V., was born Dec. 6, 1855 and died June 12, 1857; Benjamin Franklin was born April 24, 1858, and is engaged as a salesman for the Holliday Lock and Safe Co., of St. Louis, Mo.; Kate Ella was born Sept, 8, 1860, and died Sept. 7, 1861; William was born Aug. 17, 1863, and died March 3, 1868.
The present wife of our subject, to whom he was married May 29, 1877,
was formerly Mrs. Susan E. Witty, of Mount Sterling, Ill. She was born
in Kentucky from which State her parents removed when she was a child one
year of age. The Shepherds are members of the Presbyterian Church at Pisgah
in which our subject has been Elder for many years. Politically he is a
sound Republican and an enthusiastic Harrison man. He has seen much of
pioneer life, both in Ohio and Illinois and in the former State, when a
boy attending school, carried wood on his back to the temple of learning
to assist in keeping it warm during the day. The contrast between then
and now, both in Ohio and Illinois, is a marked one and Mr. Shepherd has
contributed his full quota in redeeming a portion of the wilderness and
converting it to the abode of a civilized and intelligent people.
JOSEPH J. SHEPPARD, one of the largest land-owners of this county, is the proprietor of 1200 acres, which is largely devoted to live stock, which Mr. S. feeds in large numbers annually, and ships mostly to the Eastern markets. His homestead is noticeable among the many other well-regulated estates of this section as indicative of everything to make life pleasant and desirable, having about it an air of comfort and plenty, denoting ample means and a competence for the future. The farm buildings and machinery are fully adapted to the purposes of rural life, and everything about the premises indicates wise management, thrift and economy.
Our subject is the offspring of a fine old family, being the son of Thornton Sheppard, a native of North Carolina, who, when quite young, emigrated with his parents to Kentucky, and lived in what is now known as Russell and Adair Counties, until emigrating to Illinois and taking up his abode in this county, in October, 1829. The family consisted of four children, and the father purchased a small tract of land in Township 14, Range 10, giving in exchange therefor his team of oxen and wagon. The father proceeded with the improvement of his property, was successful as a tiller of the soil, and although a man singularly free from mercenary motives, accumulated a comfortable property, being at the time of his death the owner of a good farm of 240 acres. In connection with agriculture he also officiated as a minister of the Regular Baptist Church, being a faithful laborer in the Master's vineyard for a period of forty-nine years without receiving any remuneration. The good which he did during that length of time can scarcely be estimated, and under the circumstances his piety could not for a moment be questioned. He passed to his final rest at the homestead which he had built up, Nov. 9, 1874. The mother survived her husband about eight years, her decease taking place at the old home, July 11, 1882.
To the parents of our subject there were born eight more children after their arrival in this county, and their family in all comprises six sons and six daughters. With one exception they lived to mature years, growing up intelligent and worthy citizens, and doing honor to their parental training. Thornton Sheppard was a man more than ordinarily public-spirited and liberal, thoroughly honest in all his dealings and extremely kind to the poor, looking personally after their needs and assisting the unfortunate wherever they were to be found, without regard to color or religious denomination.
The subject of this sketch, who was the eldest son and third child of his parents, was born in what is now known as Russell County, Ky., Sept. 10, 1827, and spent his childhood and youth under the parental roof, occupied mostly in farm pursuits. He acquired his education in the district school, and also enough knowledge of the carpenter trade to enable him to build his own house and do considerable work for others. A few months before reaching the twenty-seventh year of his age, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Elizabeth Coffman, the wedding taking place at the bride's home, in township 14, range 10, June 20, 1854.
Mrs. Elizabeth (Coffman) Sheppard was born in Rockingham County, Va., Dec. 16, 1832, and is the daughter of Abraham and Rachel (Houdershell) Coffman, who were natives of Woodstock County, that State. There also they were married and reared their family, then emigrating to Illinois in the fall of 1853, settled, the following spring, in Township 14, Range 10, this county, where the father died, oct. 29, 1860, and the mother April 3, 1874. They were the parents of six children, four of whom lived to mature years, and of whom Mrs. Sheppard was the fourth in order of birth. Mr. Coffman was a millwright by trade, but after coming to this county occupied himself at farming.
Twelve children completed the household circle of our subject and his estimable wife. The eldest born, a daughter, Emily J., died in infancy; George W. remains at home with his parents; John S. married Miss Mattie Parker, of Brown County, and resides in the southern part of this county; Irving D. married Miss Jennie Lynn, and resides in this county; Alice R. became the wife of G. H. Coons, of Sangamon County, and died May 16, 1884; Sylvester married Miss Mary Perkins, and resides in this county; Ulysses died in infancy; McClellan married Miss Lydia Parker, and is living in this county; Emeline, Luther, Clara and Lucy are at home with their parents.
Mr. Sheppard, politically, is an old Douglas Democrat - a man decided
in his views and fearless in giving expression to his convictions. He has
held some of the minor offices of his township, and is a man looked up
to in his community. He is able to tell many a tale if pioneer life in
the Prairie State, and, among other thrilling incidents, remembers well
the winter of the big snow, when man and beast in many sections came very
near the point of starvation, and undoubtedly many perished. Closely connected
with the history of our subject is that of his estimable wife, who has
shared his toils and also his successes for a period of thirty-five years,
and has performed her full share in the accumulation of the property and
in establishing the reputation of the family. She is a lady of more than
ordinary intelligence, and deserves more than a passing notice among the
pioneer wives and mothers of Central Illinois.
WILLIAM FLETCHER SHORT, D.D., President of the Illinois Female College. This gentleman who holds an advanced position in religious and educational circles in Illinois, was born in Butler County, Ohio, near the city of Hamilton in the year 1829. He is the son of Daniel and Diana (Petefish) Short, and was the first_born of a family that included eleven children. The brothers and sisters were named as follows: Martha J., Oliver Francis, Sarah Ellen, Thomas B., Samuel P., Elizabeth, Mary A., Harriet, Ezra D. and Charlotte.
The grandfather of our subject, William Short, was born in Virginia, and came to this State about the year 1848, and settled in the vicinity of Decatur in Macon County. His life occupation was that of farming, which he followed with varying success, yet withal no little financial progress, and died at the advanced age of ninety years at the home where he had so long enjoyed the competency he had made. His political position was in the ranks of the Democrat party, of which he was a firm adherent. The mother of our subject was born in Rockingham County, Va., in the year 1810. After her marriage with Mr. Short they remained in Virginia for a time, but removed to Ohio, and later to this county, where they settled in 1834. The next year following her parents also settled in this county. After a happy married life of about thirty_five years she died, in Sangamon County, aged about sixty years.
The early days of our subject were spent in this county, he being but five years of age when his parents removed hither. After receiving the usual course of instruction in the ordinary schools, at the age of twenty he entered McKendree College, and after studying through his junior year entered the Illinois Wesleyan University from which institution he was graduated in 1854 as A.B., and three years later received the degree of A.M. in course, and was made a Doctor of Divinity by the Ohio Wesleyan University in 1877. During his senior year he was appointed to a Missouri Conference Seminary in Jackson, and served three years teaching in the same. At the end of that period his health failed and he joined the Illinois Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He commenced his labors as a clergyman at Island Grove, which pulpit he filled for two years. From there he went to Williamsville, Sangamon County, serving for the same period. The next two years were spent at Waverly, in Morgan County, after which he went to Winchester, Scott County, for a like term. The subsequent three years he was at Carlinville, thence he removed to Hillsboro, remaining one year and then went to Jacksonville, where for three years he was Pastor of Grace Church. At that period he was appointed Presiding Elder of the Jacksonville District, holding the same for four years, after which he received the appointment to his present position, in which he has continued for fourteen years.
The nuptials of Dr. Short and Miss Sarah B. Laning were celebrated in the year 1854. This lady was one of a family of nine, and the only daughter born to Jacob H. and Hannah (Silvers) Laning, who were natives of the State of New Jersey. They migrated to Illinois and settled in Menard County, at an early date in the history thereof. The above interesting event occurred at Petersburg, Menard County. There has been given to them five children, whose names are as follows: Lula Belle, Catherine, Flora M., William Fletcher, Jr., and Edward Laning.
The eldest daughter of our subject was educated in the Illinois Female College and was graduated in 1873; the name of her husband is Edward Lambert, of Jacksonville. Their family now includes three children, viz.: Annie Watson, Edward Laning, and Helen May. Annie is attending the college of which her grandfather is principal. Catherine, who was born in the year 1858, was graduated from the same institution in 1876, as was also her sister Flora, who is now Mrs. Julian S. Wadsworth; her husband is pastor of the Methodist Church of Centerville, Rhode Island; Catherine is now Mrs. Dr. J.D. Waller; William was born in 1866, attended Illinois College, and is now a salesman in the dry_goods store of Mr. Patterson, of Jacksonville.
The subject of our sketch is a man of strong, patriotic sentiments, and he took occasion during the late war to express himself forcibly in that connection. He made quite a number of fervid and loyal speeches, aiming to arouse the most loyal enthusiasm of his fellow_citizens, and was actively engaged in raising recruits to do active service. He was a member of the party known then as War Democrats, and none could possible have taken a firmer stand, both in private and public, in opposition to the rebellion and in support of the Union than did he.
The Short family is of Scotch_Irish stock, and blends at once the
national characteristics of both, giving all the firmness and hardy manhood
of the one and the keen_witted, bright vivacity of the other. Dr. Short
has been a resident of Morgan County and vicinity for over fifty years,
and is thoroughly well_known and that also most favorably. His administration
of the college has been such as to keep it upon the top wave of popularity,
financial success and intellectual power. As a result the attendance is
always strained to its utmost capacity, and usually there are more waiting
to take their places in the classes than can possibly be received.
JAMES H. SILCOX. The career of this gentleman has been one of more than ordinary interest as that of a man who began in life at the foot of the ladder with no capital, except that with which nature has endowed him, and who struggled up slowly but surely until he attained a good position among men and accumulated a competence. He is now retired from active labor and is spending his declining years amid the comforts of a pleasant home in the village of Concord. He is the owner of a good farm in township 16, range 11, comprising 385 acres, which is well improved, well watered and admirably adapted to stock-raising. Of this industry Mr. Silcox made a specialty while on the farm, and to this it is still largely devoted.
With the exception of eight years spent in Cass County, this State, Mr. Silcox has been a life-long resident of this county, which owns him as one of its sons. He was born in what was then the unimportant little town of Jacksonville, Nov. 26, 1834, and is the son of Solomon Silcox, who was born and reared in East Tennessee. The latter was bred from a boy to farm pursuits, and was married in his native county to Miss Jane Keaton, who was also of Southern birth and parentage. The parents of our subject continued to reside in Tennessee until after the birth of two children - William and Polly - when they resolved to emigrate North, and accordingly coming to this county, took up their residence in the hamlet of Jacksonville. After some years they removed to Beardstown, where the father died at the age of seventy years. He is remembered as a good man in the broadest sense of the term, kind in his family, generous and hospitable with his neighbors, and one who uniformly exerted a good influence upon those around him.
The mother of our subject survived her husband many years and spent her last days in Whitehall, Greene County, this State, where her death took place upon the day she was eighty-two years old. She was a lady possessing all the womanly virtues and in every way a suitable companion of such a man as her husband. Both were members of the Christian Church. James H., our subject, was the fifth in a family of eight children and with his younger sister, Mrs. Jane Black, is the only one now living. He was reared to man's estate under the parental roof and when reaching this majority started out for himself, and has built up his own fortune without any financial assistance.
The marriage of our subject with Miss Elizabeth C. Gish, was celebrated at the home of the bride in the township where they now live. Mrs. Silcox was born in Iowa and came to this county with her parents when quite young. Her father was accidentally killed by being thrown against a tree while riding on horseback at a rapid rate. The wife and mother is still living. After the death of her first husband she was married to Jacob Long who also met his death accidentally, being thrown over a bridge by the upsetting of his buggy at an embankment. Mrs. Long has now attained to the age of threescore and ten years.
Mrs. Silcox was one of the younger members of a family of four children, of whom there is living one besides herself - her brother Frank who is a resident of Morgan County. She is a lady of more than ordinary intelligence and great energy of character. Of the children born to her and her husband, three died in early childhood. Their eldest son, Charles, has the chief management of the homestead in which he is assisted by his brothers William and Robert as partners. Chester looks after the live-stock interests of his father, James and Richard live with their parents in Concord. Jane is the wife of John Erickson and resides on a farm not far from the homestead. Lilly and Dolly are with their parents.
Mr. Silcox upon becoming a voting citizen identified himself with
the Republican party, and during the late Civil War officiated as Deputy
WALTER L. SIMPSON, freight agent for the Wabash Railroad Company, has been located in Jacksonville since the 6th of December, 1885. He is a native of the city of Liverpool, England, was born April 6, 1856, and was brought by his parents to the United States when a little lad three years of age. The latter were Alexander and Bathia Souter (Wright) Simpson. The father was a native of Scotland, born near the town of MacDuff, where he was reared to manhood and married. He was at one time cashier of a bank in the city of Bamff, Scotland, and was also manager of the once famous Bone Mill of MacDuff. The family only sojourned in Liverpool two years, then removed to London, and from that city sailed to the United States.
The parents of our subject, upon reaching America, immediately proceeded Westward and located in the then unimportant town of Jacksonville, this State. The wife and mother lived only one year thereafter, her death taking place in the spring of 1860. In the fall succeeding, the father, with his youngest child, Eliza, returned to Scotland, where the child was left in the care of her aunt. The father came back to Morgan County in 1866, and died in 1874. In the meantime, Walter L., after the departure of his father to Scotland, was taken into the home of his uncle, Dr. John Simpson, of Woodson, where he lived until the fall of 1864. Then, with his eldest brother, Henry, he, too, crossed the ocean again, and for two years attended school in the town of Turriff, Scotland. Upon his return to America he was accompanied by his father, brother and sister, and he subsequently entered the High School in Jacksonville, where he completed his education.
Our subject, upon leaving school, engaged for a time in farm pursuits, and July 16, 1875, was united in marriage with Miss Emma B. Wyatt, of Jacksonville. The young people began the journey of life together on a farm which had been left to William and Walter by their paternal uncle, John Simpson. It is situated ten miles southeast of Jacksonville, and is still owned by Walter, as the home of his childhood and the scene of many happy days. Mrs. Simpson's health failing, in 1880 they removed to Jacksonville. Then Mr. Simpson abandoning agriculture, entered the employ of the Wabash Railroad as Check Clerk. His strict attention to his duties secured his promotion at different times, until he was given his present responsible and lucrative position.
Mrs. Emma B. Simpson was born Dec. 19, 1858, in Morgan County, and is the daughter of William T. and Margaret (Harndy) Wyatt, natives of the same county, and who are now residents of Jacksonville. The parental family included eight children. The father is a dealer in live_stock. To Mr. and Mrs. Simpson there have been born four children _ Maggie May, Annie D., Minnie Pearl and William Henry.
John Simpson, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was also a native of Scotland, and lived in Aberdeenshire, two miles from the village of Turriff. He was a farmer by occupation, and belonged to the Established Church of England. He married a Miss McIntosh, a native of his own country, and to them were born five children, Alexander, the father of our subject, being a twin to William. William and John came to the United States in 1835, and settled in Lexington, Ky., where they were intending to follow teaching, for which they had fitted themselves by careful education. William died about 1840. John entered upon the study of medicine, and was graduated from the Medical College of Lexington, under the famous Dr. Dudley. Subsequently he came to Morgan County, where he practiced successfully until his death, in 1878.
John H. Simpson, a brother of our subject, is a traveling salesman for the firm of A.J. Jordan & Co., of St. Louis, Mo.; Annie, a sister, is the wife of John McAlister, of Jacksonville; Charles and Catherine died in infancy in the city of Liverpool, England. William M. was drowned, Aug. 8, 1878, while bathing in the River at Alton, Ill.; he was by occupation a railroad engineer, and was in the employ of the Chicago and Alton Railway at the time of his death. Eliza, the youngest sister, makes her home with her sister Annie.
JAMES W. SIX, one of the enterprising farmers of his community, and one who, by industry and intelligence, occupies a high place as a successful agriculturist, is a native of Scott County, and was born near Winchester, Oct. 25, 1829.
His father, Abraham Six, was a native of Virginia, and in 1826, when but a young man, came to Illinois, and located in Winchester. Here he entered a quarter section of land, which he improved and resided upon until his death, which occurred June 6, 1849. John Six, the grandfather of James W., was born in Germany, but when quite young came to America and located in Virginia, later removing to Kentucky, where he was one of the early settlers. In 1830 he came to Scott County, and purchased a farm near Exeter, where he lived as long as he was actively engaged in business. He died near Perry, Pike County, Ill.
As indicated, the ancestors of James W. Six were farmers, and to this occupation James W. was attracted. He was educated at good schools, and remained at home until he attained his majority, when he commenced farming for himself on rented land. He finally bought the old homestead, and after passing a few years there, sold out and removed to Morgan County, where he purchased a farm of 200 acres, near Waverly. This he operated for two years, but not liking prairie land, he sold it and went back to Winchester, buying 200 acres of land four miles from town. He continued the farming business until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company D, of the 129th Illinois Infantry. He was mustered into service at Pontiac, and immediately sent to the front and took part in all the battles in which his regiment was engaged. He saw service on the fields of Resaca, Peach Tree Creek, Snake Creek Gap, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain, and was with Gen. Sherman in his march to the sea. His regiment operated before Atlanta, and was in the innumerable skirmishes that occurred previous to the capitulation of that town. At Nashville he was taken ill with rheumatism, a result of the exposures incident to a soldier's life, and was in the hospital for two months, but in a measure recovered, and then served until the close of the war. He participated in the Grand Review at Washington, after which he received his honorable discharge, and came back to Winchester to engage in farming.
But the result of the exposures that surrounded his army life was such that he was unable to perform a great deal of manual labor, and he was therefore compelled to do light work. In 1879 he bought his present place, improved it, and is now engaged in raising stock, grain and small fruit. He was married twice, the first time to Miss Mary Ray, on Dec. 27, 1850. She was a native of Scott County, this State. Mr. Six was married the second time to Miss Louisa Hale, on the 24th of December, 1858. She is the daughter of Allison Hale, and was born in Tennessee. Her father came to Illinois and located in Scott County as a farmer, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1875. He was a Class Leader in the Methodist Episcopal Church and Superintendent of the Sunday School. The mother of Mrs. Six, whose maiden name was Abigail Ford, was born in Tennessee and died in 1844, leaving six children - William, John, James, Thomas, Louisa and George. James was a soldier in the late Rebellion, and served in the 129th Illinois from 1861 until hostilities ceased. George was also in the same regiment, and served from 1862 until the close of the war.
Mrs. Six was born in Oxville, Scott County, Aug. 29, 1842. Her mother died when she was two years old. She remained with her father for ten years, when she began to fight her own way in the world. She was the mother of nine children by her marriage with Mr. Six. Their names are: Allison, Mary, Laura, Haws, Thomas, Clara, Harvey, William and Stella. Allison is married, and is a merchant in Warrensburg, this State; Mary married Willard Little, a farmer of Bluffs; Laura married George T. York, also a farmer of Bluffs; Clara is attending High School at Macon, and the rest of the children are at home.
Mr. Six has a splendid war record, and is now drawing a pension of $50 a month, as a partial recompense for the services he rendered and for the sacrifices he made for his country. His disability - rheumatism - has steadily increased, and for the last eight or ten years has left him entirely helpless, being deprived of the use of his limbs. He is called in the neighborhood, "Uncle Jimmy," which is evidence of the respect borne him by the community. He belongs to the G.A.R. of Bluffs, and is a Republican.
A full page lithographed portrait of Mr. Six appears in this volume,
and forms a valuable addition to the work.
DANIEL SMITH, known to the commercial world as a cigar manufacturer and wholesale dealer in tobacco, is reckoned among the leading capitalists of Winchester. He was born in the village of Rautenhausen, Germany, Jan. 1, 1838 and came to America in Aug. 1854. His parents, Conrad and Christina (Walber) Schmidt, both died in the old country. They reared a large family of children, of whom Daniel, one brother John, and a sister, came to the United States. John now runs a large sheep ranch in Oregon, and the sister resides in Bloomington, Ill. Daniel Smith, who it will be observed, adopts the English spelling of the family name, was educated in the fatherland and there learned the trade of a shoemaker.
From New York, where he landed on coming to this country, our subject made his way to LaSalle, this State; arriving there in Sept. 1854, and with nothing for capital but a brave heart and good health he pursued his trade as a journeyman for six years, working at LaSalle, Bloomington, Davenport, St. Louis, Burlington and Jerseyville in the order named, thus becoming very nearly a professional tourist. During the great Pike's Peak excitement in 1860-1, he caught the "gold fever" and joined the disappointed throng which had painted on its banners, "Pike's Peak or Bust," and the conclusion is plausible that he was one of the multitude who was "busted", for we find him again at the shoemaker's bench in Jerseyville immediately succeeding that great retreat from the Rocky Mountains. In the spring fo 1862, associated with an acquaintance, Mr. Smith embarked in the manufacture of cigars at Jerseyville and from there he came to Winchester in Jan. 1863. Here he has since continued in that business.
Beginning life in America with nothing but his trade, and that not one of the most lucrative ones, Mr. Smith has by untiring perseverance and industry steadily risen step by step, so that he need never fear the proverbial wolf at the door. The meagre savings from his trade were wholly swallowed up in his attempt to find fortune at Pike's Peak, therefore his ample possessions consisting in farm lands, city property and money have been accumulated since that date, and principally if not entirely since coming to Winchester.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Lutheran Church and has been for the
past six or seven years Treasurer of the local lodge of Odd Fellows. He
was married in this county Dec. 28, 1863 to Mrs. Mina Sibert nee Diller,
a native of Germany and has four sons and four daughters, George, Anna,
Oscar, Edward, Nellie, Mabel, Lillie and Arthur.
JOSEPH T. SMITH. This gentleman may usually be found following the peaceful pursuits of agriculture on his well-regulated farm on section 5, township 15, range 11. He is numbered among the leading men of his community, and in his life has been illustrated the qualities of his substantial New England ancestry. The only reliable family records in his possession go back to the days of his paternal grandfather, Ezekiel Smith, who was born at Weathersfield, near Hartford Conn., and served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He was a strong man physically and mentally, became prominent in his county, and lived to the ripe old age of ninety-three years. The records indicate that he was twice married and that he became the father of three daughters and two sons, the younger of the latter being Lory, the father of our subject.
Lory Smith was carefully reared and given a practical education in the common school. Soon after reaching his majority it is thought he repaired to Hartford, where he learned the trade of a carpenter, and later operated as a contractor. He was cut down in the midst of his usefulness at the early age of thirty-three years, leaving his wife (who was a widow with four children when they were married) with two sons and two daughters. One of the latter, Frances, became the wife of Loren Sackett, and died late in the forties. Mr. Sackett is now a resident of Lee County, this State; Joseph T. our subject, was the elder of the sons; Charles L. married a New England Lady, Miss Mary A. Filley; they came to this county and died, leaving one son, who is a resident of township 16, range 8. Sarah C. died unmarried in Hartford in 1888.
The maiden name of the mother of our subject was Fanny Taintor; she was born in Connecticut and was the descendant of an old family who had emigrated from England to America during the Colonial days, and from whom sprang many descendants. Some of her ancestors served in the Revolutionary War, and others were prominently identified with the history of New England. It is not known positively whether the Taintors were of English or Welsh descent. Joseph Taintor, the maternal grandfather of our subject, was born about 1745 and died about 1790. He was the son fo John Taintor. He learned the tanner's trade in early manhood, and it is supposed followed this mostly all his life. He spent his last years in North Carolina. He was the father of three children - William, Sarah and Fanny. The latter was first married to James LeVaughn, who died in Connecticut and left two sons, James and William, who are now deceased.
The mother of our subject departed this life at her home in Hartford Conn., Nov. 27, 1851. She, like her husband, was an active member of the Congregational Church, presided over by the celebrated Dr. Hawse. She was left in straightened circumstances by the death of Mr. Smith, and her son, our subject, was taken into the home of an uncle in Massachusetts, where he was given only limited advantages for education. At the age of fifteen years he was apprenticed to a book-binder at Hartford, and followed this business in New England until 1844. He then determined to seek his fortunes in the Great West, and selling out his interests at Hartford journeyed to this region and took up a tract of land which is now included in his present homestead.
In making the journey hither Mr. Smith traveled by stage, canal and river, and was one month in reaching his destination. He at that time secured 180 acres of land, and for some time sheltered himself in a little shanty. He had then no capital but his strong hands and stout heart, and the young wife, who was prepared to bear with him the heat and burden of the day. They labored together with the mutual purpose of building up a home, and after a series of years spent in a manner common to the settlers on the frontier, were enabled to look around them and realize that their toil and sacrifices had not been in vain. After bringing his land to a good state of cultivation, erecting buildings, planting trees and providing things most needful for their comfort and welfare, Mr. Smith turned his attention to the raising of live stock, from which he has realized a snug sum of money. He believes in keeping the best grades, maintaining that this is the best economy in the end.
The marriage of our subject with Miss Maria Lathrop took place at the bride's home at Hartford, Conn., May 3, 1837. Mrs. Smith was born in Ashford Township, Windham Co., Conn., March 12, 1818, and is the daughter of Erastus and Sarah (Bailey) Lathrop, the former of whom was a carpenter by trade, and died when quite aged, in Hartford. The mother later came to this county and made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Smith, where her death took place when she was about sixty years old. Both she and her husband were Congregationalists in religious belief.
Mrs. Maria Smith was given a common school education and subjected to careful home training by her excellent parents. She remained with them until her marriage. Of her union with our subject there were five children, two fo whom are deceased. Sarah died in infancy; Arthur, when a bright and promising youth was graduated from Union Park Theological Seminary, Chicago, and was given a license to preach, being sent West under the auspices of the Home Missionary Society. He died in Topeka, Kan., Sept. 7, 1872, unmarried, and aged about twenty-five years.
George C. Smith, the eldest son of our subject, married Miss Eva F. Munson, and is occupied as a druggist's clerk, at Springfield, this State. During the Civil War he served as a Union soldier in Company K, 27th Illinois Infantry, fought at Belmont and in other battles, and finally on account of failing health was obliged to accept his honorable discharge after a two years' service. He is now in Springfield, Ill.; Joseph C. is unmarried and operates the homestead; Charles H. was married to Miss Mary M. Erskine, who died leaving no children, and he remains at the homestead.
Mr. Smith, originally in politics was on Old-Line Whig, but since
the day of Republicanism has given his support to the principles of this
party. He was at one time connected with the Congregational Church, but
is now rather liberal in his views upon religious matters.
LARKIN B. SMITH. Th enterprise of this gentleman has placed him in the front rank among the successful farmers and stock-growers of this county. He has a fine estate, embracing 573 acres of land, 140 in the homestead proper, which is located on section 16, township 16, range 11. He has occupied this since the spring of 1867, since which time he has given his attention mostly to the breeding of fine horses and cattle, of which he has a goodly assortment, and is in the habit of carrying off the blue ribbons.
During his early manhood Mr. Smith, having much mechanical genius, was engaged for some time as a carpenter and joiner, but farming being more congenial to his tastes, he finally changed his occupation, although this talent has served him well in this direction also, and been the means of saving hundreds of dollars. He purchased his first land direct from the Government and this he still occupies. He was one of the pioneers of this county, coming as early as 1835, and lived with his parents at what is now Glasgow, south of Winchester, Scott County, and which place was laid out by his father. Scott was then embraced in Morgan County. The family removed to what is now Morgan, about 1839.
A native of Washington County, Ky., our subject was born four miles from the town of Springfield, Jan. 14, 1816, and is the son of Ashford Smith, who served under Gen. Harrison, in the War of 1812, as First Lieutenant in the battle of Tippecanoe. He was born in Virginia, and was the son of John Smith, of Fredericktown, where he spent his entire life engaged in farming pursuits, after having served as a Captain in the Revolutionary War. He married a Virginia lady and became the father of a large family.
The father of our subject was reared in Virginia, and when a young man repaired to Springfield, Ky., where he learned the trade of a tanner and currier and where he lived for about fifteen years. At the expiration of this time he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. In Washington County, Ky., he married Miss Mary Wright, daughter of William Wright, a Virginian farmer and old Revolutionary soldier. Mr. Wright took up his residence in Kentucky, and was there married to Miss Elizabeth Burdeen, and they spent their entire lives in Washington County. In payment for his services as a soldier Mr. Wright obtained a warrant for a large tract of land, and after settling upon it occupied himself with its improvement.
The parents of our subject after their marriage settled in Springfield, Ky., where the father followed his trade of a tanner most of the time, until coming to Illinois in 1835. Here he selected a tract of land in township 16, range 11, where he built up a comfortable homestead and lived to be eighty-seven years old. The wife and mother died at the age of seventy-seven, prior to the demise of her husband. Both were members of the Methodist Protestant Church, and in politics Mr. Smith was an old line Democrat.
The subject of this sketch was next to the eldest of his parents' ten children, five sons and five daughters. He was quite young when coming with them to Illinois, and spent his life thereafter until his marriage, in this county. His first wife, Miss Nancy J. Nash, was born in Coles County, this State, but was brought by her parents to this county when quite young, and here was reared to womanhood. She died at the homestead in 1849, in the prime of life, leaving one child, Isaac N., who married Miss Sarah Moss, a sister of George M. Moss, whose biography will be found elsewhere in this volume. Mrs. Smith was a sufferer from consumption, and was ill for some time before her decease. She was a lady possessing many friends, and a member in good standing of the Methodist Church.
Our subject in due time contracted a second marriage, with Miss Martha Goodpasture, who was born in Overton County, Tenn., July 10, 1826. She was less than one year old, when her father, Abraham Goodpasture, came to this county. A further notice of the family will be found in the biography of John J. Goodpasture, on another page in this ALBUM. Mrs. Smith received a common-school education, and remained a member of the parental household until her marriage. Of this union there were born twelve children, three of whom are deceased, namely: William, Melvina and Elvina, the two latter twins. The eldest son living, Thomas J., married Miss Maude Zook, and they live on a farm in township 16, range 11. Larkin B. married Miss Jane Richardson; M. Alice is the wife of John Ham; Marshall married Miss Ada Morrison; Sydney married Miss Maria Decker. The above all live in the same township. Elizabeth J. is the wife of Julius Laughary, and they live at Arenzville, in Cass County. Lewis A. and Richard P. make their home with their parents, the former engaged as a teacher, and the latter assisting his father on the farm.
Mr. Smith cast his first Presidential vote for Martin Van Buren,
and is a sound Democrat, first, last and all the time. He has served as
Justice of the Peace, and occupied various positions of trust. He is in
all respects looked upon as a representative citizen, one who has contributed
his full quota to the building up of his county.
WILEY SMITH for thirty years has lived at the farm upon which he is now located on section 13, township 16, range 11. He has 159 acres which composes his homestead, and also owns 142 acres in Scott County, all of which is well improved. Mr. Smith does a general farming business, and is one of those men who have been principally the architects of their own fortune. He has always worked hard for the achievement of his present possessions, and in a word, has earned everything he has.
Mr. Smith came to this State with his father in 1835, and is a native of Hickman County, Tenn., having been born on Kane Creek, Oct. 30, 1829. His father, was also a native of Tennessee, and was reared to agricultural pursuits in his native State, where he was afterward married to Elizabeth Moss, who was born and reared there also. After marriage, he pursued farming until four children were born, when they started for Illinois with an ox-team, and arrived there safely in the year indicated. When Peter Smith came to Morgan County, it was a wilderness of prairie, and there were few people living here. His early life in this county was passed in much the same manner as the lives of other pioneers were, full of hardship, but he lived until he saw his adopted county rise to the eminence of being one of the best in the great State of Illinois. Those who are now enjoying the fruits of these early sufferings, should remember that the men who came here and prepared the way for their children, deserve greater respect than an army that conquers by the sword. Peter Smith died on his original farm, May 18, 1876. He was then seventy-three years of age, and his wife preceded him to the shadowy realm, in May, 1875. She was nearly sixty-seven years old. This respected couple were members of the old school Baptist Church, and were well-liked by their associates. They made a good record, of which their posterity ought to feel proud.
Wiley Smith is the second son and child of a family of ten children, seven of whom are living, married and have families. He was reared to manhood in this county, and was married here to Miss Jane Standley, who was born in the township where he now resides, on Dec. 15, 1840. She is the daughter of Noble and Nancy (Smart) Standley, both of whom died here some years ago at an advanced age. They came from Tennessee, where they were married, and after the birth of two children emigrated to Illinois in the year 1829, where they lived until their death. They suffered the hardships common to all pioneers, and coming here when the country was new, they had an opportunity of choosing a good farm which they improved. They purchased their land from the Government at $1.25 per acre. Mr. and Mrs. Standley were members of the old school Baptist church, belonging to that organization for many years.
Mrs. Smith was one of eleven children, seven sons and four daughters. Three sons are deceased, one of whom, David, was accidently killed by a runaway team. He was married and left a family. Another one, Thomas, was killed during the war in Missouri, by the rebels. He left a family also. Another one died while in infancy. Mrs. Smith is the mother of six children, the following three being deceased: Mary died April 12, 1879, when past seventeen years of age; Charles H. died Feb. 18, 1877, at the age of four years, while death claimed an infant. The following are living at home: Hester, Rosa, Clarinda, and Edgar N.
In the affairs of life, Mr. and Mrs. Smith have achieved a success,
and their reputation is that of the best. They attend the Baptist Church,
and politically, Mr. Smith believes that the Democratic party is the best.
REV. HORACE SPALDING, an ordained minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was also for many years identified with the educational interests of this part of Illinois, for a long time as principal of Howard Academy, Jacksonville, and subsequently as principal of other schools in the city, besides teaching in other places outside of the county. He held high rank among the members of his profession here, was well know, and was respected for his learning, while his simple, unostentatious, pleasing manner, combined with gentle dignity, made him beloved wherever he went.
Our subject was of New England birth and education, born May 27, 1802, in Moretown, among the beautiful hills of Vermont. There the thoughtful, studious lad passed his boyhood, and by his own exertions gleaned a substantial education, and, at the youthful age of fifteen years, entered upon his career as a teacher. He taught some little time in New York State, and thence went to the city of Lynn, Mass., where he engaged in his vocation some years. June 19, 1825, the young teacher was united in marriage with one of his profession, Miss Elvira M. Ladd, and in her sweet companionship he found intelligent encouragement and aid in his life work as an instructor and preacher. She was born in New Hampshire, a daughter of William and Abigail (Spalding) Ladd, who were also natives of that State, and there married, Jan. 20, 1795. They had ten children, two of whom died in infancy, and the other eight, who grew to maturity, received excellent educations, and at some period of their lives were teachers. Two of the sons, Laban and Azel P., both adopted the medical profession, and the latter became an eminent physician in Wisconsin, where he died. The names of the other members of the family are Levi, William, Martha, Cynthia, Maria, Abigail, and Elvira. Our subject and his wife both taught school in New Hampshire prior to their marriage, and after that they pursued the profession in Lynn six years, and from there went to the city of New Bedford, also in Massachusetts, where he had charge of a school four years. At the expiration of that time he was called on to preside over Howard Academy, in Jacksonville, and, as before noted, served as its Principal for several years, and also was connected with other of the city schools.
During that time he represented the State Bible Society some nine years as State Agent, and also acted often as local preacher. In his early childhood his earnest mind, religiously_inclined, had taken a bent toward Methodism, and he had joined the church, and from that day till the hour of his death he was a faithful worker in the cause of his beloved Master, commencing his ministerial career in his native Green Mountain State. In the year 1856 Mr. Spalding removed with his family to Cass County, this State, and taught school the three ensuing years in Virginia, his daughter Martha acting as his assistant the first year, till she accepted a position in a district school, and then her adopted sister Harriet supplied her place as her father's assistant in the village school. From Virginia the family returned to Jacksonville, and they taught in the town schools several years. In 1876 our subject and his wife removed to this farm, where Mrs. Spalding is still living with her daughter and son_in_law, Samuel Jumper, here gracious and kindly presence making her a venerated and loved member of the household. From this peaceful abode, where loving care had smoothed the pathway to the grave, he entered upon the life eternal Jan. 10, 1881, in the fullness of time, at the ripe old age of seventy_eight years and eight months. His memory is held in sacred remembrance by all who ever came under his influence, to whom he had acted as teacher, guide and friend. Of his happy wedded life of nearly fifty_six years two children where born, namely: William W., who died of consumption, in Virginia, in the opening years of manhood, when only twenty_three years old; and Martha, now Mrs. Samuel Jumper. Mr. and Mrs. Spalding also adopted a daughter of his deceased sister, Abigail Smith, Harriet A. Our subject's great_grandfather, Crary, was for many years one of the leading jurists of the Connecticut bar, and Judge of the Probate Court in that State. Back another generation is the ancestor of that name who came from Ireland to America very early in its colonial history.
We cannot better close this sketch of our venerated subject than by giving an outline of the life of his well_loved and highly_respected son_in_law, Samuel Jumper. This gentleman is a veteran of the late war, and on Southern battlefields fought nobly for his country, and bravely endured sufferings and hardships in her behalf. He is now identified with the agricultural interests of Morgan County, as a practical farmer of township 16, range 9 west. He is a native of Ohio, born in Richland County, in December, 1832, to Abraham and Catherine (Shaffner) Jumper. They were both natives of Pennsylvania, where the former was born Aug. 12, 1798, and the latter Nov. 4, 1801. They were united in marriage Feb. 1, 1820. Four years later they professed religion, and became members of the Church of the United Brethren. Soon after uniting with this church, the father, Abraham Jumper, commenced to preach in the German language. In this he was very successful, but it was a matter of much regret among his friends that the was unable to speak the English language with the fluency necessary for public speaking. Therefore he began to study under the instruction of an English teacher, and, in the course of four months, could address both English and German audiences. He spent thirty_five years in the ministry, and passed from his labors on earth April 13, 1869. The wife and mother died July 22, 1883, at the age of eighty_two years.
Samuel Jumper accompanied his parents when they removed to Illinois. They located first in Alexander County, but soon after removed to Union County, of which they thus became pioneers. Our subject was reared in that county, and was educated in the subscription schools. In the fall of 1851 he went to Texas, with several others, and worked as a farm hand there a few months, and was then employed in a blacksmith shop a short time. After that he began to learn to make saddle_trees, and subsequently plied that trade there two and one_half years. In the summer of 1854 he returned to Illinois, bringing a herd of cattle with him, and settled in Jacksonville. He remained here until Nov. 20, 1858, when he married and moved onto a farm near by. A year later he went to Cass County, and lived in Virginia till the fall of 1861, when he located on his present farm on section 16, and has made his home here ever since, with the exception of the years spent in the South aiding his brave fellow_soldiers to save their country from dishonor and disruption. His farm of seventy acres is under fine tillage and is well improved, and his beautiful orchard of choice varieties of fruits is one of the finest in the neighborhood. His happy marriage with the daughter of our subject has proved the wisdom of his selection, as she is as wise and good as she is true, and none know her but to value her for her great worth. Six of their nine children are still spared to bless the home circle _ Hattie M.L., William H.A., Samuel M., Edward G., John A., and Sarah E. Three of their children have been called to the higher life _ Frank H., Alice Carey and Clarence H.
On the 8th of August, 1862, Mr. Jumper laid aside all private duties to take an active part in the great war then waging in this country, and enrolled his name among the gallant members of Company D, 101st Illinois Infantry. From that time till the cessation of hostilities, in the spring of 1865, he did good service in many engagements with the enemy. While on the ironclad gunboat "Cricket," at Greenville, Miss., his regiment had a hot contest with the enemy, and was then dispatched on a foraging expedition to the country in the vicinity of Vicksburg, our subject being with the party who on one occasion confiscated 3,500 bales of cotton. They then went up the Mississippi, and had a very heavy engagement at Greenville. After the surrender of Vicksburg, Mr. Jumper and his comrades were sent up the White River to Clarrinton, where they made a pontoon bridge for the boys to cross the river to capture Little Rock. They proceeded up the White River to the Little Red River in Arkansas, in search of two rebel boats, supposed to be in that stream, and they finally overhauled the captured them fifteen miles above where the river is usually considered navigable. At that place the Confederates had built a pontoon bridge, which they destroyed on the approach of the Union soldiers. Our men succeeded in capturing some of the horses and some of the guards, and returning down the river to West Point, they managed to secure the two boats for which they had been searching, though Gen. Marmaduke had stationed his men at that place, and, as soon as our men got within range, opened fire on them, wounding nine men, one of whom died. The captured boats were taken to Napoleon, where the Red River empties into the Mississippi River. At that place Mr. Jumper was taken sick and sent to the hospital in Columbus, Ky., where he remained six weeks, and was then transferred to Mound City, Ill. Four months later, having sufficiently recovered, he joined his regiment at Cassville, Ga., April 15, 1864. Five days thereafter he took part in the hotly_waged contest at Dallas or Good Hope Church, his corps losing 1,800 men in that battle, and there his brother William was shot through the left thigh. He next engaged with his regiment in the battle at Peach Tree Creek, and in other contests and skirmishes with the rebels prior to the capture of Atlanta, his regiment being the first to enter that city. Thence the men proceeded to Savannah, Ga., where they captured the fort and held it several weeks. After that they went through the Carolinas, and at Bentonville had their last pitched battle. From there they went to Goldsboro, thence to Rolla, from there to Richmond, and onward to Washington, D.C., where our subject and his brave fellow_soldiers were honorably discharged, June 7, 1865, having served with credit to themselves and to the everlasting honor of their country.
After his military experience Mr. Jumper lived for awhile in Jacksonville,
but Jan. 1, 1866, moved on his farm, and has lived here ever since. He
and his family are deservedly held in high estimation in this community,
and are people of good standing in religious and social circles. He and
his wife are among the leading members of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and actively aid their pastors and fellow_members in all good works. He
is a modest, unassuming man, although possessing judgment, resolution and
capacity to do whatsoever he attempts. He interests himself in the welfare
of his township, and has served it faithfully and well for years as Road
Supervisor and School Director, to the great satisfaction of all concerned,
although he is by no means an office_seeker. He is a firm Republican, and
uses his influence in support of his party.
WILLIAM T. SPIRES, SR., was born in Lincoln County, Ky., Dec. 26, 1822, and received his education in the common schools of the country. His father, John Spires, is a native of North Carolina, and was born in 1798. He came to Lincoln County, Ky., in an early day. Just after he became of age he married Susan Leach, whose people came from Virginia. The father and mother of William T. Spires trace their ancestry back to Ireland and Germany. In their family there were ten children, eight of whom are living, and whose records are herewith given: Phebe I. married Allen Connolly, and is deceased; they had two children, one of whom is also deceased. Sarah P. married Allen Connolly; they had five children - Sarah A., John A., Sylvester, George and Harvey. John R. married Sarah Weller, of Macoupin County, Ill.; they are farming in Sangamon County, Ill., and have three children - George, Mattie and Albert. Annie married Edward Seymour, a farmer of Morgan County; their children are: Sylvester, Sarah, Nettie, James and Oliver M. Harvey married Sarah A. Stice, and they reside on the John Squires homestead; they have four children - Lillie, Edward, Marion and Otto. Mary married William Olford, of Macoupin County, and they have three children - Lela, Charles, and an infant.
William T. Spires, of whom we write, married Margaret Reed, in 1844. Mrs. Spires' parents were pioneers, having emigrated to Morgan County in 1830. They have ten children, as follows: John M., William T., Sarah M., Martha H., Mary S., Margaret J., Julia C., Emma, Marinda and Matilda. John M. married Mary A. Niece, of Sangamon County, he is a locomotive engineer, living at Peoria, Ill. William T. married Maria Deere; they are farming in Morgan County, and are the parents of two children - Charles and Carrie. Sarah Ann married Abraham Seymour, a farmer of this county; they have one child, Lillie, who married Benjamin F. Morrow, of Greene County, Ill. Martha H. married James P. Storey, who is a farmer and school teacher of this county; they have three children - Hattie, Charles and Curtis. Mary S. married Isah Whitlock, who is also a farmer and teacher of Morgan County; they have five children - Lulu, Ewen, Bert, Bertha and Grover C. Margaret J. married Marion Cline, of Ohio, and they are living in Harper County, Kan., with their three children - Silvia, Zulu and Marvin. Julia C. married S. Douglas Whitlock, a farmer of this county. Emma married John C. Smith, a merchant of Springfield, Ill., and they have three children - Grace, Marvin and Roy D. Marinda married Z. D. Morrow, a jeweler of Springfield. Matilda married Charles Wood, a farmer of Greene County; they have two children, Forrest and Roy.
Like all pioneers of this county William T. Spires began the unequal battle of life without other resources than health and hope. By persistent and intelligent work he accomplished his desire, that of being an independent farmer. After his marriage he purchased the homestead upon which they now live, being then only partially improved, and containing 130 acres of land and a small house. Now he owns 200 acres of land that is in the best state of cultivation, and beside erecting splendid buildings he has assisted his children to start in life. He is now living retired, and is resting from the labors of a well-spent life, while his son manages the farm.
This family are consistent members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Spires
is a member of the I.O.O.F. Politically, he has been a sound Democrat since
he arrived at the voting age, but has held no office, neither does he take
any particular interest in politics, except what every good citizen should.
County main page