PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
THOMAS NAYLOR fully exemplifies what can be achieved by a constant and intelligent adherence to any business. His early training was of that kind that leaves an indelible imprint of the industry, intelligence and integrity of the parents. While he was denied the privilege of an education that would serve him to gain a livelihood, he was not discouraged, but pushed steadily forward, and by his own efforts has made a place for himself on the list of those who have gained a success unaided by rank in society, or political preference. Of such men as he, is a great State constructed, and a nation made strong. All honor is due to the pioneers of this grand country for training their children in a manner so that when they take their place on the stage of action their parts may be well played.
Thomas Naylor is a representative farmer and stock raiser of section 9, township 16, range 12, and is a native of Rutlandshire, England. He was born on the 15th of September, 1849, and is a son of P. H. Naylor, of whom an extended sketch appears in another part of this volume. He came to America with his parents in the year 1851, and here he has been virtually reared to manhood, and he may be called one of the sons of Morgan County. He chose the life of a farmer, and in this choice exhibited great sense, for there is no better tiller of the soil in this neighborhood than Thomas Naylor. He was married March 28, 1873, to Martha J. Wilday, who was born in this county, and is a daughter of Alexander and Talithia (Drinkwater) Wilday.
Mr. and Mrs. Naylor are the parents of two children: Anne B. and
Beulah. Mr. Naylor owns a half interest in a good farm in Cass County,
Ill., beside his Morgan County property. He is at present serving as School
Director, an office which he fills to the entire satisfaction of his constituents.
Religiously, he is identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and
is serving as Trustee. A sketch of Alexander Wilday, father of Mrs. Naylor,
appears in another part of this Album. In politics Mr. Naylor is a stanch
supporter of the principles of the Democratic party.
GEORGE NAYLOR. As the older members of the farming community retire from the scene of action the younger men are gradually taking their places, and the larger portion of them are perpetuating in a worthy manner the work which their sires began. Among these may be properly mentioned the subject of this notice, who is comfortably located on a good farm on section 9, township 15, range 12. He is a native of this State, having been born in Cass County, Feb. 2, 1852.
The father of our subject was P. H. Naylor, of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in this work. He is one of the prominent citizens of Morgan County, to which he came at an early day, and contributed largely to its growth and development. Our subject was reared to man's estate under the parental roof, and bred to farm pursuits, receiving his education in the common school His life passed comparatively quiet and uninterrupted until he was ready to establish a home of his own, and he was then married Feb. 18, 1875, to Miss Mary B. Burrus. Mrs. Naylor was born Feb, 18, 1856, in Morgan County, and is the daughter of Thomas Burrus, now a resident of Kansas.
To Mr. and Mrs. Naylor there has been born one child, a son, Jonathan
L., Jan. 29, 1876. This boy, now a promising youth of thirteen years, is
being given a good education, and as the only son will receive all the
advantages which his parents are able to bestow upon him. Mr. Naylor cast
his first Presidential vote for Hancock, and politically, is a sound Democrat.
In his farming operations he is meeting with success. Besides carrying
on general agriculture he is considerably interested in stock raising.
He owns one-half of 240 acres of land in Cass County which is the source
of a fair income. In religious matters he belongs to the Methodist Episcopal
Church in which he serves as Steward, and with his wife labors cheerfully
as opportunity presents in the Master's vineyard. They have a pleasant
and inviting home, and enjoy the acquaintance of a large circle of friends.
P. H. NAYLOR resides on Section 9, township 16, range 12, is a native of Rutlandshire, England, and was born May 12, 1817. In England the man who owns twenty-five acres of land is the possessor of a domain, and is looked upon by his less fortunate countrymen with awe. So it is no wonder that these people, who rank among the most skilled farmers in the world, seek to better themselves by coming to America, where land is within the reach of all. Here the provident English farmer is reasonably sure to attain success, for with his prudent habits formed by necessity, coupled with his complete knowledge of husbandry, he has only to go forward and grasp the opportunities that lie within easy reach. Mr. Naylor is a good type of the English farmer, and that he has been a successful one his record will demonstrate.
Our subject was the son of Robert and Catherine Naylor, both natives of England, and his boyhood days were spent on the "tight little isle." His education was secured at the schools incident to his country, and as a matter of course he gained knowledge under difficulties. The poorer classes in European countries can send their children to school but very little, as at an early age the little ones are obliged to aid their parents in gaining a livelihood. In the fall of 1851 Mr. Naylor became possessed of the idea that he wanted to become an owner of land, and in furtherance of this scheme he took passage at Liverpool on a sailing-vessel, and after a long voyage covering two months he landed at New Orleans, in a strange country and without friends. He proceeded directly up the Mississippi and Illinois rivers, and so reached Meredosia. Here he worked for nearly three years as a farm hand, and subsequently rented a farm for several years, and to illustrate his total lack of resources, it may be incidentally stated that he was obliged to borrow money to pay his fare from St. Louis to Meredosia. His first purchase consisted of 695 acres of bottom land, and upon this crude farm he settled, and here has resided since. He has made additions to his original farm until he now owns 855 acres of land, and beside this he has partly given two sons an aggregate of 240 acres of land, situated in Cass County, Ill. It will thus be seen that Mr. Naylor's total possessions consisted at one time of 1095 acres of land, and in addition to this he also owned a quarter section in Missouri, which he gave to one of his sons who lives in that State. Mr. Naylor, by good management, and by shrewd financiering, has attained a high eminence in the farming community of his county, and is in every sense a good representative of the English farmer.
Mr. Naylor was married Sept. 29, 1842, to Sarah E. Haines, who was born in Rutlandshire, England, Jan. 13, 1825. She was a daughter of William and Mary (Willimot) Haines, both natives of England. To Mr. and Mrs. Naylor have been born five children, three of whom are living: Thomas, the eldest, is residing in this county, and is the owner of one-half interest in 240 acres of land in Cass County, Ill.; George is also a resident of this county, and owns the other half of the Cass County land referred to; Charles is in Missouri; the two deceased are William H. and Mary C.
Mr. Naylor, politically, acts with the Democratic party. He has served
a number of years as a School Director, and has given satisfaction. He
and Mrs. Naylor are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and worship
at McKindry Chapel, and he is now serving as Trustee of that organization.
It is a pleasure to give the history in this ALBUM of such people as Mr.
and Mrs. Naylor. The praise which is given them is not of that perfunctory
sort that usually attaches to biography.
WILLIAM NEAT of the banking firm of Neat, Condit & Grout, Winchester, Ill., was born in Macon County, Mo., in 1846. His grandfather, John Neat, a native of Neatsville, Ky., was one of the pioneers of Morgan County. Where now stands the town of Winchester, he entered a large tract of land from the United States Government and resided upon it until about 1845. In that year being possessed of the irresistible desire of the average American citizen to push on farther west, he emigrated to Missouri where he there followed various pursuits until 1846, when he died.
Our subject's mother, whose maiden name was Martin, returned to Winchester and still resides at that place with her son, William Neat, our subject. William Neat was taught the elementary branches of an English education, obtained in the primitive common schools of the days of his boyhood in Scott County, and was thus occupied as a student at the outbreak of the Rebellion. Early in Feb. 1862 at Glasgow, Ill., he enlisted as a private soldier in Company I, 28th Illinois Infantry and served until discharged at Jackson, Tenn., in 1863. At the battle of Hatchie, Oct. 5, 1862, a grape shot so mutilated one of his legs as to necessitate immediate amputation. Either the field operation was unsuccessful or else it was exposure or lack of proper attention that brought the surgeons to the conclusion that a second amputation was necessary. Indeed it appeared that before the final recovery of the unfortunate victim, a third part of the limb sloughed off virtually making three several amputations of the wounded member. And so was added another victim to incompetent surgery or necessary exposure incident to the great war of the Rebellion.
Having returned to Glasgow from the army, young Neat as soon as physically able resumed his studies at school and was shortly afterward graduated from Aurora (Ill.) Business College. Some time during the sixties he was appointed government storekeeper in the Internal Revenue Department, but this occupation being uncongenial, it was abandoned after he had held the office one year. In 1871 he engaged in the grocery business at Winchester, and a year later sold out and returned to Glasgow, where he was in general merchandise until 1879, when he removed to Alsey, Ill., and engaged in business until 1883 when he returned to Winchester. Here he engaged in grain business to which he has since devoted much of his time.
The banking house of Neat, Condit & Co. was established in 1886; mr. Grout came into the firm in 1887 thus making a strong financial combination. The concern does a general banking and deposit business and is justly recognized as one of the solid, reliable and substantial financial institutions of Southwestern Illinois.
Mr. Neat is an enthusiastic member of the order of G.A.R. and counts it a privilege to belong to such an institution; he also belongs to the I.O.O.F. He is a sound Republican and believes in his party. He was married at Glasgow in 1871 to Miss Alice Cumbey, a native of Wisconsin. She died April 1st, 1877, leaving two children, John Carrollton and Cora S.
Our subject was married Feb. 2, 1881 to Miss Armetta Blair, the accomplished
daughter of Robert A. Blair, Esq., of Winchester. Of this union there was
one child, Robert, who died in infancy. Mrs. Blair-Neat died Aug. 17, 1883.
GEORGE H. NERGENAH. The farming and stock-raising interests of Morgan County have a leading representative in the subject of this notice, who in 1881 established himself on section 21, township 16, range 12. He is a native of this county, and was born June 6, 1857. His parents were George H. and Henrietta (Frohwitter) Nergenah, who were natives of Germany, and are supposed to have emigrated to America some time in the forties. George H. Nergenah, Sr., was born Sept. 12, 1805, in Hanover, Bissendorf, German. He died Dec. 1, 1870.
The father of our subject had been twice married, and lost his first wife at sea while crossing the Atlantic. Of this union there had been born two children, only one of whom is living, a son, Henry, who is a resident of Meredosia precinct. Mary died about 1876. Mr. Nergenah married his second wife in this county, and became the father of six children: Louisa, the wife of Frederick Tillman; William, living in this county; George H., our subject; Annie deceased; Lizzie and Minnie, the latter the wife of Frederick Nagel.
George H. Nergenah, Sr., for a number of years after his arrival in this county, prosecuted farming on rented land, and finally settled in Bethel precinct. He encountered the usual hardships of pioneer life, struggled successfully with the elements of a new soil, and was numbered among the leading German residents of this community. He lived to be over sixty years of age, and rested from his earthly labors Dec. 1, 1870. He belonged to the German Lutheran Church, and was always in warm sympathy with the institutions of his adopted country. After becoming a naturalized citizen he identified himself with the Democratic party, and was the uniform encourager of those enterprises tending to benefit the people at large.
The subject of this notice was reared to manhood on the farm, and has been an eye witness of many changes occurring since his boyhood. He acquired his education in the public school, and by reading and observation has kept himself well posted upon all matters of general interest. He attained to a strong and healthy manhood, and when ready to establish domestic ties of his own, was married, Dec. 5, 1888, after reaching the thirtieth year of his age, to Miss Louie I. Whorten, the wedding taking place at the bride's home in Concord Precinct.
Mrs. Nergenah was born Jan. 18th, 1868, in Morgan County, Ill., and
is the daughter of Michael L. Whorten, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere
in this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Nergenah, after their marriage, settled on
the farm where they now live, and which comprises eighty acres of well
improved land, with a snug residence, and the outbuildings required by
the progressive and enterprising agriculturist. Mr. Nergenah, politically,
is a staunch Democrat, like his father before him, and serves as a School
Director in his district. He is public-spirited and liberal in his ideas,
and is looked upon as one of the rising men of his community - one who
is destined in the near future to make his mark therein. Religiously, he
belongs to the Lutheran Church.
ROBERT NEWBY owns and operates a fine farm on sections 21 and 22, township 15, range 11. He is engaged in general farming and stock-raising, and has lived on his present farm since 1856. Since he bought his place he has made many improvements on it, and all these show the marks of ingenuity and enterprise. He has made his farm a model one for the purposes of breeding stock.
Mr. Newby has been a resident of Morgan County since the spring of 1833, coming here from Pennsylvania with his parents. He was born in Yorkshire, England, Aug. 12, 1827. His parents, John and Hannah (Green) Newby, were also natives of Yorkshire, and there were married. John Newby was a mechanic, having learned a trade while a young man. He was the father of only two children, both of whom were born in England: Robert, and a daughter, Sarah, now deceased, and who died in Macoupin County, Ill., in 1882. She was twice married, having children only by her first husband, Mr. Thomas Wheat. In the spring of 1831 John Newby and, his wife concluded to try their fortunes in the New World, when they took passage on a sailing-vessel from Liverpool, and landed in Baltimore, after a voyage which covered nine weeks and six days. In Baltimore John Newby was occupied as a house carpenter, but later removed to Pittsburg, Pa. At that time the emigration to Illinois was large. The reputation of its virgin prairies, coupled with the easy manner of procuring land by pre-empting it and after a nominal residence, paying but $1.25 an acre, all these induced Mr. Newby to emigrate to the new State. He accordingly located in township 15 and range 11, where he made his home until his death, which occurred in 1881, at the age of eighty years. Mr. and Mrs. Newby were members of the Methodist Church, and were consistent Christians. Mr. Newby was a Republican in politics. His wife followed him to the grave in 1882, and at the time of her death was about eighty-two years of age.
Mr. Robert Newby, whose name heads this sketch, lived at home until he became of age, and has always been engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was first married in Morgan County to Miss Hall, who was born here of English parentage. Her father and mother, William and Mary (Kilham) Hall, are both deceased. They died in this county, where they settled at an early day, having emigrated from England. Their daughter, Mrs. Mary Newby, died in 1874. She was a Christian woman, being a member of the Methodist Church, and in which religious organization she took great interest. She left six children to mourn her loss, four of whom are living: Robert F. is at home, and is assisting his father in the management of his farm; Mary E., G. Albert, and Emma J. are also at home; John W. was killed by a horse, which became frightened, and rearing up, fell upon him, injuring John so badly that he died five days after the accident. His death occurred in 1885. He was a single man, twenty-eight years of age, and was employed by a cattle rancher. Charles L. married Miss Sarah Moody, and died in this county in 1886. He left a wife and one child.
Mr. Newby took for his second wife Miss Julia A. McGinnis. She was
born in Morgan County, in 1851, and lived here up to the time of her marriage.
She is the daughter of American parents, both of whom are deceased. She
is the mother of four children, whose names follow: Lodella, Walter R.,
Clarence, and Emily. Mr. and Mrs. newby are communicants of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, and politically, Mr. Newby is a stanch Democrat. He is
not what may be termed a politician, but takes interest in public affairs,
as all wide-awake and intelligent citizens should.
SAMUEL WARREN NICHOLS, editor of the daily and weekly Jacksonville Journal, is a native of Hancock County, this State, and was born Feb. 5, 1844. His father, the Rev. Warren Nichols, of the Presbyterian Church, was born in Massachusetts, and died in 1862, in Ohio, where he had resided for some years.
At Lima, Ohio, in May, 1864, the subject of this sketch enlisted as a Union soldier in Company E, 151st Ohio Infantry, and served four months in and around Washington, D.C. Upon leaving the army, he came to this county, settling in Jacksonville, and for some time attended the Illinois College. Later he became a student of the Jacksonville Business College, from which he was graduated, and taught therein one year. From 1867 to 1870 he was Treasurer of the Jacksonville Gas Light and Coke Company, and during the latter year was Teller of the First National Bank.
Later, as a member of the firm of Nichols & Brennan, our subject was engaged in the stove business in this city six years, and from 1876 to 1885, he was in the photograph business. About 1884 he began writing for the Journal, and in 1885 he was employed regularly on the staff of that paper. The Journal Company was organized in November, 1886, and since that time Messrs. Nichols & Fay have directed its editorial columns.
Mr. Nichols is a live, wide_awake newspaper man, and the columns
of the Journal attest his devotion to the very best interests of the city
and its people. He is a member of the Congregational Church, and is prominently
identified with the Masonic fraternity and the G.A.R.
CHARLES NICKEL. Among those who have made a signal success of farming and stock-raising, mr. Nickel should be mentioned as one occupying a place in the front rank. He is the owner of a finely-conducted farm of 260 acres on section 16, township 16, range 11, where he has been located since the spring of 1869. He has effected good improvements, and keeps usually about forty head of cattle, 100 head of swine, and nineteen head of horses and colts. He raises grain sufficient to feed his stock, and the balance of his farm is devoted to pasture and hay. His industry and enterprise have long been recognized by the people of this section, while he has his future reward in the esteem and confidence of his neighbors.
Our subject first opened his eyes to the light, on the other side of the Atlantic, in the Province of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, Jan. 3, 1838. He lived there until a lad nine years of age, and then accompanied his father to America. They settled in Beardstown, this State, where our subject learned the trade of a wheel-wright, which he followed for some time before the outbreak of the Civil War. In May, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, 14th Illinois Infantry, under Capt. Thomas M. Thompson, and went with his regiment to the South, where he participated in some of the most important battles of the war, being at Shiloh, Vicksburg, and Jackson, Miss., and joining Sherman in the memorable march to the sea. He was promoted to the rank of Second Sergeant, and while experiencing some narrow escapes, came out unharmed, and after receiving his honorable discharge turned his attention to farming pursuits, in which he has since been engaged.
Mr. Nickel started out in life for himself when a lad of fourteen years, without other means or resources than his good health and resolute will. Being faithful and industrious, he found little trouble in securing employment, and upon reaching manhood was fully prepared to establish a home of his own. After the war was over he was married, in Cass County, this State, to Miss Paulina Jokisch, a native of that county, and the daughter of Charles G. and Christina (Elsneer) Jokisch, who were natives of what was then the Kingdom of Saxony, and who, coming to the United States in their youth, settled in Cass County, where they were married; both are now deceased. They were excellent and worthy people, and fine representatives of their substantial ancestry.
The father of Mrs. Nickel died when she was only eight or nine years old, leaving the mother with a family of seven sons and three daughters, of whom Paulina was one of the younger members. The children, as fast as becoming old enough, made themselves useful in the home, and after a time scattered to look out for themselves. Mrs. Nickel remained with her mother until her marriage, which resulted in the birth of seven children, three of the boys being triplets. Two of these - Howard and Charles - died when quite young, and also a daughter, Christina. The survivors are Franklin C., John H., May L., and Edward, the latter one of the triplets. Mr. Nickel, politically, is a decided Republican, and both he and his estimable wife belong to the German Methodist Church.
The parents of our subject were Henry and Catherine (Rohn) Nickel,
natives of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and the father a farmer by occupation.
They were reared and married in their native province, and after the birth
of four children set out for the United States, accompanied by three of
them, the other child having died. Afer a safe voyage on a sailing-vessel
they landed in the city of New Orleans, and thence came up the Mississippi
and Illinois rivers to Beardstown, where the parents took up their abode,
and where they both died a few years later.
County main page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their