PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
EDWARD McASEY. The adopted sons of America have acquitted themselves in fully as admirable a manner, in most instances, as those who were native born, and among them the subject of this notice deserves more than a passing mention. He is one of the leading farmers of Scott County, fought as a Union soldier during the late Civil War, and is thoroughly identified with the interests of his adopted country. He was born in County Carlow, Ireland, Nov. 23, 1833, and is the son of Patrick McAsey, who died when Edward was a mere infant.
Our subject sojourned in his native county until a youth of eighteen years, receiving a common school education and employing himself mostly at farming. He was a thoughtful and ambitious boy, and at an early age determined to become a man among men. Seeing little prospect of carrying out his desires in his native land, he decided to emigrate to the United States, and accordingly put his resolve into execution in the fall of 1851. He landed in New York City, and sojourned there with an uncle until the following spring, then set out for the West, crossed the Mississippi, and located in St. Charles County, Mo.
Our subject was a resident of Missouri until the fall of 1854, then came to this county, and within its limits has since made his abiding_place. He occupied himself at farming until the outbreak of the Rebellion, then enlisted as a Union soldier in Company D, 129th Illinois Infantry, which shortly afterward was ordered to the front in Louisville, Ky. He was in the service nearly three years, participated in the battle of Stone River, and then was taken ill and sent to the hospital, where he remained until receiving his honorable discharge. The privations and hardships which he endured undermined his constitution, and on account of this he now receives a pension from the Government.
Three years after taking up his abode in this county, Mr. McAsey
was married, in September, 1857, to Miss Mary, sister of Patrick O'Donnell,
one of the leading farmers of Central Illinois, and whose biography appears
elsewhere in this volume. Mrs. McAsey was born May 15, 1843, in Ireland,
and of her marriage with our subject there has been born one child, James
H., Oct. 2, 1859. This son, although now approaching the thirtieth year
of his age, remains with his parents, and relieves his father of a large
part of the care and management of the farm. He is in his own right owner
of 191 acres of land, and is largely interested in stock_raising. Mr. McAsey,
it is hardly necessary to say, votes the straight Republican ticket, and
has no desire for the spoils of office. He and his family belong to the
Catholic Church. His accumulations are the result of his own industry,
aided by the good management of a prudent and intelligent wife, and their
hospitable home is the frequent resort of the many friends whom they have
made during their long residence in this county.
WILLIAM McCULLOUGH. In this gentleman Scott County finds one of its most enterprising, progressive and public-spirited citizens, who uses his wealth freely to further all feasible plans for its moral, social, and material elevation. He stands among its leading farmers and stock raisers, and his fine farm in Winchester Precinct, with its broad, well-tilled fields yielding rich harvests in repayment for careful cultivation, and its many substantial and valuable improvements, is one of the largest as well as one of the most desirable estates to be found within a radius of many miles, indeed, is considered one of the best in the county. His home is pleasantly located on the Phillips Ferry Road, one-half mile west of Riggston, and his elegant brick residence, built of material made on the spot at a cost of $7,000, attracts the eye of the traveler on the highway.
Our subject is of Celtic antecedents on the paternal side of the house, his father, also named William, having been born in Ireland, coming to this country when a boy with his parents, who settled in the State of New Jersey. His mother, Ann (Webster) McCullough, was a native of New Jersey, and there spent her entire life, dying Dec. 18, 1876. The father was a practical, skillful farmer, and successfully carried on that occupation till his death in 1852. Both he and his wife were true Christians, and valued members of the Presbyterian Church, and in dying left the precious memory of lives well spent. They had eleven children, nine boys and two girls, all of whom are living except three. He of whom we write was their ninth child in order of birth, and was born to them May 18, 1828, in their home in Somerset County, N.J. He received the education commonly given to farmers= boys in the public schools, and as a bright, intelligent lad profited thereby. He worked with his father on the farm till he was seventeen years old, and then served an apprenticeship at the carpenter=s trade the three ensuing years, and after that worked as a journeyman in his native State a year. At the expiration of that time he ambitiously concluded that he would go forth far beyond its bounds and see what life held for him in the great West, and in the spring of 1850 he started on that ever memorable journey, going from his New Jersey home to Philadelphia by train, and proceeding from that city by the same conveyance to Boston, from there over the Alleghany Mountains by stage, and thence by boat to Pittsburg, and so on to St. Louis, and up the Mississippi and Illinois rivers to Naples, taking eighteen days to make the trip, and landing in Jacksonville in the month of March. He immediately agreed to go to work at his trade the next day, and after working there a few weeks, and earning some money, he went to Tazewell County the same spring, and entered 160 acres of land from the Government. Engaging a surveyor to stake it out he returned to Springfield and bought a land warrant for 160 acres for $90. Retaining possession of this land a year he sold it for $300, and a few years later the rise in real estate had been so great that it was worth $25 an acre. After selling his land in Tazewell County Mr. McCullough bought 160 acres of fine farming land in Scott County, of Robert Haggard, for which he agreed to pay $4,000, $1,000 down, and $1,000 each year thereafter till it was paid, without interest, and ten per cent off if paid before due, and he managed so successfully that the last payment was made for $900, he having rented the farm and kept busily at work at his trade in order to obtain the money to make the payments.
March 31, 1853, Mr. McCullough=s marriage with Miss Martha A., daughter of J. B. Campbell, one of the first settlers of Scott County, was consumated. During the brief years of their wedded life she greatly aided in the upbuilding of a home, but Nov. 3, 1860, death crossed the threshold and took her from the scene of her usefulness. She left two children, of whom the following is the record, Cynthia Ann, born April 13, 1855, married Luther Hornbeck, and died Dec. 27, 1888; Jane, born March 8, 1857, is the wife of John M. Allyn, of St. Louis, and they have two children, a boy and a girl. Mr. Allyn is Secretary of the Telegraphic Department of the Missouri Pacific Railway, at St. Louis, with a salary of $1,800 a year.
Mr. McCullough was married to his present wife, formerly Miss Emily J. Camp, Oct. 16, 1862. She is a daughter of George and Nancy (Felton) Camp, of Scott County. Her father was one of the first settlers here, walking the entire distance from his old home among the green hills of Vermont, and Mrs. McCullough preserves as a relic of that journey the knapsack in which he carried his few belongings on that eventful trip. The following is the record of the seven children that have been born of the happy wedded life of our subject and his amiable wife: Sarah Victorine was born Oct. 9, 1863; William Grant, July 6, 1865; Abel Camp, Oct. 2, 1866; Laura Brasfield, June 6, 1868; Harriet Amanda, March 12, 1870; George Howard, March 23, 1875; Warren Elmer, Dec. 1, 1877.
From the very commencement of his career in the West our subject has met with more than ordinary success, from a financial standpoint, and has constantly been increasing his property till now he owns real estate to the amount of 1,080 acres, forming one of the most extensive and valuable farms in this part of Illinois. Shortly after his first marriage he bought the John Cox farm, of 104 acres, at $40 an acre, and after his second marriage he bought the William Cox farm, of 120 acres, at the same price. He then abandoned his trade, and has since devoted himself entirely to agricultural pursuits, and to the management of his property. His next purchase was sixty acres of land of John Hornbeck, for which he paid $80 an acre, and after that he bought 100 acres of land of Marshall Smith, at the same price. He subsequently invested still more money in land, as follows: He bought 160 acres of M. W. Riggs, at $50 per acre; then 262 acres of William D. Campbell, at $75 an acre, after that 160 acres of William A. Gillham, at the same sum per acre. Just before buying the William Campbell place he sold 100 acres of land to J. N. Campbell. He traded seventeen acres of land to John Coultas for eighty-three acres of land west of the railway, paying for the difference at the rate of $75 an acre. Later he bought fifty-five acres of the Joe Campbell farm, at $75 an acre, which completes his purchases up to date. Mr. McCullough has his farm under a fine state of cultivation, employing three men to assist him in its management, and six teams to work the land. He is extensively engaged in raising cattle of high grades, feeding from 100 to 150 a year, and raises about 200 hogs a year.
Mr. McCullough occupies a prominent position among the generous, high minded, open handed men of Scott County, who, while building up fortunes for themselves have not been unmindful of the interests of their adopted precinct and county, but have in every way striven to give an impetus to their growth and development, and have been instrumental in securing to them wealth and high standing. He has donated very largely to churches, regardless of denomination; contributed $600 toward the erection of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Riggston, of which he is a member, and aided in the building of nearly all the churches in the vicinity: one at Bethel, one at Exeter, and three in Winchester, Rutledge Chapel and Benson Chapel. He has been a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since February, 1856, is one of the leaders in the church at Riggston, of which he has been Steward and Trustee continuously, and a worker in the Sunday-School. Mrs. McCullough and six of the children have also united with that church. In his wife he has found a true helpmate, who has encouraged him in his work, and heartily co-operated with him in all his plans.
Our subject has been School Director, and he erected a fine two-story brick school-house half a mile west of his home for the accomodation of the children in the district. His influence has been felt in other public matters, and the neat railway station at Riggston owes its existence mostly to his liberality and enterprise, as he as contributed $500 toward its erection. Mr. McCullough takes a genuine interest in the political affairs of his country, and has always voted the Democratic ticket, being one of the stanchest supporters of his party. He was in attendance at the National Democratic Convention at St. Louis, in 1888.
Our subject is gifted with a fine constitution, and has always enjoyed
good health till within the last three years, since which time he has suffered
with dyspepsia, and has tried medical treatment here and at St. Louis with
but little avail. It is the sincere wish of his many friends that this
severe affliction may pass away, and he be restored to his normal health.
SAMUEL MCCURLEY is a native of Morgan County, Ill., and was born on the 3d of September, 1829, and has resided here since his birth. His father, Ezekiel McCurley, was a native of Alabama, and was born in 1815. He was united in marriage with Jane Criswell, of the same State, whose parents came to Morgan County in an early day. Ezekiel McCurley first settled here in 1827, but returned to Alabama the same fall, and, in company with his father and mother, returned the following spring, and settled on Government land. Their first purchase was eighty acres, but, by additions in later years, the farm was increased to 900 acres. At the time of the senior McCurley's death, which occurred April 13, 1835, the homestead comprised 200 acres of land. Mrs. McCurley his wife, and mother of the subject of this sketch, died oct. 15, 1883. She was the mother of eleven children, seven of whom are living: William M., Julia, Emeline, Margaret, Susan, Mary E., ans Samuel. William M. married Telitha Davidson, of Macoupin County. They are now living in Morgan County, and have seven children: Amanda, Alice, John, Ella, Ezekiel H., Mary E., and Rue. Julia married John C. Spires, a farmer now residing in Cherokee, Kan. The result of this union was the birth of five children: Francis, Albert, Amanda, Susie and Nellie. Emeline married Garrett Seymour, a farmer now living in Nebraska. Margaret married James D. Henry, of Morgan County. They are the parents of eight children: George, William, Peyton, Gussie, Carrie, Gertrude, Eva, and Ernest. Susan was married twice. Her first husband was G. W. Henry, by whom she had two children - Sylvia and Ethel. Her second husband is Thomas MacLamar, of Ohio; he is the father of one child, Olin. Mary E. married Henry Seymour, of Morgan County; they have three children: Effie, Lulu, and Dora.
Samuel McCurley was married twice. The maiden name of his first wife was Elizabeth Seymour, who was born in March, 1854, and by whom he has one child living, James P. James married Clarinda Moore, and is farming in Morgan County. Mary Mooreland was the name of his second wife. Her parents came from Columbiana, Ohio, in 1852. She is the mother of nine children, six of whom are living: Nancy J., Lavina, Julia A., Caroline, William E., and Agnes. The names of those deceased are Mary, George E., and Emma. Nancy J. married Lucien Haynes, of this county, and is the mother of two children - Birdie and Stella. Lavina A. married George Nichols; they are now residing in Greene County, Ill., and are the parents of six children: Leonard B., Ella, John, Olive, Orrin, and Albert (deceased). Julia A. married Thomas E. Storey, a farmer of this county, and is the mother of one child, Elmer. Caroline married Edward Radford, a farmer of Morgan County.
Samuel McCurley now owns a farm of 300 acres of the average Illinois prairie land, than which there is none better on the face of the earth. His farm is a model in every respect, and the owner takes especial pride in exhibiting his stock and the products of his farm. While he had a fair start in life, it goes without saying that he has made the most of his resources.
Mr. McCurley is one of the three original members of the Baptist
Church in this locality, which the entire family attend. He is a member
of the Masonic fraternity, and, politically, is a Democrat.
WILLIAM MCCURLEY was born in Morgan County, April 17, 1838. He attended a subscription school in his youth, which resulted in a fair education. His father, Ezekiel McCurley, came to Morgan County in 1827, and in the same fall returned to Alabama, his native State, and the following spring, in company with his father and mother, returned to Morgan County, settling on a tract of Government land amounting to eighty acres, which at one time he increased to 900 acres. He died April 13, 1885, while his wife preceded him to the better land Oct. 15, 1883. They were the parents of eleven children, seven of whom are living: Samuel, Julia, Emeline, Margaret, Susan, Mary E. and William. Samuel was married twice, his first wife being Elizabeth Seymour, who died soon after their marriage. Mary A. Mooreland was the maiden name of his second wife, and by whom he had nine children: Nancy J., Lavina, Julia A., Caroline, William E., and Agnes. Mary, George W. and Emma are deceased.
William McCurley married Telitha Davidson, daughter of Joshua and Elizabeth Davidson. She was born May 27, 1836. Her parents came to Morgan County in 1830, from Alabama. Her father died in 1844, while the mother survived him until July 6, 1873. They were of German descent, and had the following children: David, William F., James, Thomas J., Albert, Mary, Martha and Telitha. David married Rebecca Gibson, now deceased. They had one child, Mary Ellen. David is now farming in Macoupin County, and is the father of four children by his last marriage - Francis B., Emma, Harvey and Clara. William F. married Mary Seymour, a school teacher of this county, and to whom was born four children - Hattie L., Alice, Marion W., Marston M. James married Louisa Norville; they are now living in Jasper County, Mo. Thomas J. married Mary Phillip, of this county, and is now residing in Florida; they have three children - Amy, Annie and James. Albert married Frances D. O'Ryan (deceased.) His second wife was Frances Brown. Albert is now living in Morgan County, and is a dealer in real estate. Mary married the Rev. J. M. Gibson, of this county; they are the parents of nine children - John M., Elizabeth, George C., Hannah, James W., Albert D., Mary E., Richard Y. and Julia. Martha married Gideon Jennings, a native of Tennessee, who is now a rancher in the Indian Territory; they have six children - Henry, Granville, Susan, Annie, Martha and Marinda.
The subject of this sketch, has seven children - Amanda J., Alice, Louella, John H., Ezekiel H., Mary E. and Zeruah. Amanda married Albert Boyer, a farmer of Van Buren County, Iowa, and they have four children - Lulu, Reuben W., Dora B., and Ivan H. Alice married Newton Henry; her husband is dead, and she is residing with her father. Louella married George Moore, and is residing in Macoupin County; they have one child, Maud M. The rest of the children are with their parents.
William McCurley at the time of his marriage was the owner of his
present farm, and has since improved it with comfortable buildings, and
has brought his land into a high state of cultivation. He is considered
by his neighbors as a model farmer. The family are all members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. Mr. McCurley is a Republican in politics, and has been
Postmaster for several years.
JOSIAH H. MCDONALD. Among the homesteads that adorn the landscape of township 13, range 12, Scott County, that belonging to the subject of this notice, invariably attracts the eye of the passing traveler. The first glance reveals it as the abode of cultivated tastes, and ample means. The farm, 177½ acres in extent has been brought to a thorough state of cultivation and in the fall of 1888, Mr. McDonald completed a fine new residence. The main building is two stories in height, 48x18 feet in dimensions and there is a one-story "L" 26x32 feet. The barn and other outbuildings are creditable alike to the good taste and judgment which have evidently been exercised in all the appointments of the premises.
In addition to general agriculture Mr. McDonald makes a specialty of fine stock, including graded Short-horn cattle and Poland-China swine.
Franklin County, Mo., was the early tramping ground of our subject, and where his birth took place Aug. 21, 1843. His father, Jesse McDonald, was a native of Kentucky and died when his son, Josiah H., was two years old. The mother Mrs. Ann (Horr) McDonald, was subsequently married to Benoni Sappington, by whom she had four children - Samuel, Julia, Belle and Emma. In 1855, the whole family emigrated to Morgan County, Ill., and the following year changed their residence to this county. They sojourned here until 1859, then removed to Greene County, where they lived until 1863, then returned to Scott.
While a resident of Greene County, this State, the Civil War being in progress, our subject, enlisted in Company C, 6th Illinois Cavalry in which he served three years, four months and seven days. He participated in the battle at Ft. Donelson, the Grearson raid, the siege of Port Hudson, the engagements at Buck River, Franklin and Nashville, (Tenn.), besides meeting the enemy at other points. He fortunately escaped wounds and capture and considering the hardships and exposure to which he was subjected while on duty, came out in comparatively good health. He then returned to his old haunts in this county where he has since lived.
Upon his return from the army, Mr. McDonald for three years was engaged
as a conductor on what was then the Rockford & Rock Island Railroad.
Later he established himself at the livery business in Winchester which
occupied him one year. In the spring of 1876, he located on his present
farm, and since that time has given to it his undivided attention, as its
condition indicates. He took unto himself a wife and helpmate - Miss Jennie
Dawson - Sept. 29, 1870, the wedding being celebrated at the bride's home
in Scott County. Mrs. McDonald was born in 1855, and is the daughter of
Jesse and Ann Dawson, the latter being deceased. Four children completed
the household circle of our subject and his estimable wife, only three
of whom are living, viz: Jesse, Clarence and Lecy Belle. Mr. McDonald has
troubled himself very little about political matters although he keeps
himself posted upon current events and uniformly votes the straight Republican
ticket. He is identified with the G. A. R. at Winchester, and both in social
and business circles is highly esteemed among his fellow citizens. His
property has been accumulated by his own industry and frugality, and he
is now far beyond the reach of want, having sufficient for his declining
years. He has witnessed with warm interest the great changes which have
occurred in Central Illinois during his sojourn here and in building up
one of its finest homesteads has added thus much to the value of its real
ANDREW McFARLAND, M.D., LL.D., proprietor of Oak Lawn Retreat, an establishment for the treatment of the insane, has for sometime been favorably known to the people of Morgan County, as being a man of more than ordinary intelligence, and as one taking a deep interest in that unfortunate class of people, whose treatment, to be successful, requires extraordinary tact and skill. A native of Concord, N.H., he was born July 14, 1817, and is the son of Rev. Asa McFarland, D.D., of the Congregational Church. The latter was a native of Massachusetts, and the family, as the name readily indicates, came originally, and at a very early date in the history of this country, from Scotland.
The subject of this notice received his literary education at Dartmouth College, and in 1840 was graduated from Dartmouth Medical School. For a short time after receiving his diploma he practiced medicine in a general way, and then being appointed Superintendent of the New Hampshire Insane Asylum, he turned his attention to this branch of the medical profession. From that date to the present time the successful treatment of that peculiar malady, known generally as insanity, has been the aim and purpose of his life. In 1850 he resigned his position in the New Hampshire Asylum to fortify himself for his appointed work by a year of travel among the hospitals of Europe. Soon after his return to America he came to Jacksonville to enter upon the duties of his position as Superintendent of the Illinois Insane Hospital _ a position which he filled with distinguished ability for a period of sixteen years.
In 1872 Dr. McFarland established Oak Lawn Retreat _ so named from its beautiful location upon an elevated plateau, one and a half miles from Jacksonville Square, shaded with forest oak, carpeted in its season with blue grass, drained by natural ravines that make their way to a little creek or branch some hundreds of yards to the west of the buildings, and abundantly supplied with the purest of water from natural springs, or raised by wells from fountains which lie deeply hidden beneath ledges of solid limestone. The first building erected, with a capacity of thirty patients, was destroyed by fire in 1887. The present one has a capacity of fifty patients. It was originally designed for males only, but the destruction of the first rendered an increase in size necessary, to the end that both sexes could be comfortably cared for.
The fact that this excellent institution is always crowded to its limits, is abundant indication of its popularity as an asylum for the most unfortunate of earth's creatures. It also attests the skill of the gentleman at the head, who has devoted his life to this benevolent work. The man who brings to this great work a superior equipment and makes it the altar upon which he places the studied and combined efforts of a lifetime, is one who deserves the commendation of all, and, like Abou Ben Adhem, can write his name as a lover of mankind.
While abroad Dr. McFarland wrote a series of letters, which were published from time to time in the periodicals of the day, and their popularity was such as to warrant their compilation and publication in a neat volume, which came out in 1852, under the euphonious title of "Loiterings Among the Scenes of Story and Song." The last copy retained by the author was destroyed with his building in 1887. Aside from his reputation as an expert in the treatment of insanity, the Doctor is well_known to the medical profession of the country as a reliable general physician and surgeon. He has been once President of the Illinois State Medical Society, and three years President of the American Society of Superintendents of Insane Hospitals.
Dr. McFarland was married at Gilmanton, N.H., soon after reaching the twenty_first year of his age, to Miss Annie H. Peaslee. He is the father of two sons _ George C. and T.F., both of whom are educated physicians.
ISAAC D. McLAUGHLIN. One of the finest country seats in Scott County has been built up by the subject of this notice, who is one of the leading men of township 14, range 13. His career has been marked by honest industry and that strict devotion to principle which has gained him the highest esteem of his fellow_citizens. He is one of those men who have no use for an idler and who look with contempt upon a mean or questionable act. Walking by his side for, lo, these many years, and encouraging him in his worthy ambitions has been one of the most estimable woman of her time _ Mrs. Amanda (Shibe) McLaughlin, who has in all respects been the suitable helpmate and companion of such a man as her husband. Their mutual efforts resulted in the accumulation of a fine property, at one time embracing 262 acres of land. This, however, has not gone out of the family, as Mr. McLaughlin has deeded considerable of it to his children, being himself now the owner of 140 acres. This with its buildings and other improvements forms a pleasant and valuable homestead where he and his estimable wife may spend their declining years free from care and anxiety.
Our subject was born about ten miles from Portsmouth, Ohio, Feb. 27, 1832, but was brought to Illinois by his parents when an infant and reared on the old McLaughlin homestead. He acquired such education as the schools of that time afforded, pursuing his studies principally in the winter season, and as soon as old enough began making himself useful around the farm, rolling logs, burning brush, cutting grain with a sickle and experiencing all the vicissitudes of life on the frontier. At the same time those days were not unmixed with pleasure and happiness _ the result of that healthy mental and moral training which was given him by most excellent parents.
When not quite twenty years of age, only weighing 120 pounds, and with a capital of $1.50, Isaac McLaughlin was married, Sept. 11, 1851, to Miss Amanda Shibe, a maiden approaching the twentieth year of her age. They had grown up together from childhood, attending the same school and mingling with the youth of their neighborhood in rural pastimes and pleasures. The absence of wealth was no particular drawback, as they began their wedded life because they were strong in mutual affection and with an abundance of good health. After their marriage they settled on section 14 and Mr. McLaughlin occupied himself at farming. Their mutual industry met with its legitimate reward and in the course of a few years they found themselves in a good position financially and have since been uniformly prosperous. The present residence was completed in the fall of 1872. It is a substantial two story structure, the main part 42x40 feet in dimensions, with a wing. It is flanked by a good barn and other outbuildings common to the well_regulated homestead. There is an abundance of fruit and shade trees and all other embellishments which have so much to do with the happiness and comfort of the household. Mr. McLaughlin during the last fifteen years has spent hundreds of dollars in improvements and also in the meantime has purchased about $10,000 worth of land.
To our subject and his estimable wife there were born eight children, two of whom are deceased, namely, Jasper who died in 1885 at the age of twenty_nine years, and Daniel Henry who died when six months old. Their eldest son, John William, married Miss Emma J. Gross, and is the father of five children _ Laura B., Edward F., Isaac E., Clara M., and Elizabeth L. Wealthy E. and George T. are at home with their parents; Isaac L. married Miss Olive M. Hoover, and they have one child _ Marietta; Benjamin F. and Isaiah B. are attending school. As the children of Mr. McLaughlin become of age he gives them sixty acres of land and those in possession of their property are doing well and bid fair to reflect honor upon their parental training.
The parents of our subject were Daniel and Elizabeth (Utt) McLaughlin, the father a native of Hampshire County, Virginia. He emigrated early in life to Ohio, where he was married and prosecuted farming for a time, then coming to Illinois settled in that part of Morgan County which is now Scott. His pioneer experience was similar to that of hundreds of others during which time he labored and waited and met with his reward. Five sons and three daughters gathered around the family hearthstone, seven of whom were born in the Buckeye State. There are now only two living _ John and the subject of this sketch.
Mrs. McLaughlin, the fifth child of her parents, was born Nov. 21, 1830, in township 14, range 13, Scott County, where her father settled upon coming to this State. She is the daughter of Casper and Margaret (Lookingbee) Shibe, who were natives respectively of Philadelphia, Pa., and North Carolina, and were of Dutch ancestry. They removed with their families to Indiana early in life and were married in that State. Mr. Shibe in his native city learned the trade of ship carpenter, but after coming to the West engaged in farming. He spent his last years in Scott, dying in 1865 at the age of seventy_four years. The mother survived her husband until 1873, and passed away at the age of seventy_seven. They were the parents of eight children, three sons and five daughters of whom there are living one son and four daughters. These are mostly living in Scott County.
Mr. McLaughlin is a man of more than ordinary intelligence and is
noted for his liberality, giving freely of his means for the establishment
and maintenance of schools and churches and encouraging all other enterprises
tending to the social and moral elevation of the community. He has made
it the rule of his life to live within his income and to be prompt in meeting
his obligations. He is prominently connected with the I.O.O.F. of Winchester,
and in politics is an uncompromising Democrat. Mrs. McLaughlin has been
a member in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church for the long
period of thirty_five years.
MILTON M. MEACHAM. As a town advances and its various interests multiply, there is need of men adapted to all kinds of pursuits _ business, professional and mechanical, and by a happy dispensation of Providence some men are adapted to one calling and some to another. The fact that Mr. Meacham successfully represents eight of the leading Fire Insurance companies of the country indicates in a marked manner his adaptation to this line of business. He has been established at Waverly since 1859, where he has attained to a good position both in social and business circles and is numbered among its representative men.
A son of Illinois, our subject was born in Sangamon County, Sept. 7, 1839. His father, Jonathan Meacham, was born near Hopkins, Christian County, KY., Nov. 27, 1809. The paternal grandfather, Jeremiah Meacham, was also a native of the Blue Grass State and died there. The great grandfather, who was of Scotch parentage, served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War.
Mrs. Susan (Morris) Meacham, the mother of our subject, was the daughter of an old Virginia family of Scotch_Irish extraction, and whose grandfather likewise carried a musket in behalf of the Colonists, as they were struggling for their independence, and was under Washington at Valley Forge. William Morris, the maternal grandfather of our subject, was born, reared and married in Virginia, and carried on farming there until 1829. That year he came to Illinois, and settled on a tract of land near the present town of Berlin in Sangamon County, where he improved a farm from the wilderness and made a comfortable homestead, where his death took place in 1866. His wife had died about 1855. They reared a family of four sons and four daughters, all of whom lived to mature years.
The father of our subject came to this State in 1829, and in Sangamon County, met and married Miss Susan Morris, who was born in Virginia. The young people commenced the journey of life together on a new farm, near which afterward grew up the town of Berlin, and lived there until 1859. Then leaving the farm after a residence upon it of thirty years, they took up their abode in Waverly and the father followed carpentering until failing health compelled him to retire from active labor. During the last eight years of his life he served as Justice of the Peace, and departed hence, Dec. 5, 1873. He was a Democrat in politics, and in religion a Regular Baptist, with which church he was connected for twenty_one years. The wife and mother served her husband three years, dying in 1876. Their family consisted of four sons and three daughters. The eldest, Martha A., became the wife of Hi ram Waddell, a blacksmith by trade, and they live in Montgomery County. Frances married J. L. Shims, and died in July, 1855; Milton M., of our sketch, was the third child; Clara married S. S. Agar and died in September, 1877; Milo died in January, 1860; William D., a carpenter by trade, is a resident of Waverly and James, the youngest, lives in Clark son, Ark.
The subject of this sketch spent his younger years occupied with the lighter duties around the farm and acquiring his education at the district school. His life passed quietly until after the outbreak of the Civil War, and on the 19th of April, 1861, he joined the militia, but shortly afterward entered the United States service as a member of Company I, 14th Ill. Infantry under the command of John M. Palmer. The Regiment skirmished through Missouri from July 5, that year, until February, 1862, then started for Ft. Donelson, where they arrived in the night in time to participate in the struggle which followed. They next met the enemy at Pittsburgh Landing, where the 14th Regiment formed the first line of troops across the road leading to a point near the old Shiloh Church and remained fighting until the last charge before its surrender.
Our subject subsequently participated in the siege of Corinthian and Vicksburg and went with his regiment as far south as Ft. Beaufort, La. There they crossed the river, going to Cairo, Ill., and from there through Kentucky and Tennessee to Huntsville, Ala. About this time the term expired for which he had enlisted, and he was mustered out June 17, 1864. He had been in all the battles and skirmishes in which his comrades participated, but was never wounded or made a prisoner.
Upon retiring from the service Mr. Meacham sought his old haunts in this county and engaged as clerk in a dry_goods store at Waverly until 1868. He then embarked in the grocery trade and was thus occupied until 1872, when he became interested in the clothing business and prosecuted this until 1875. In June, 1876, he associated himself in partnership with M. V. Mallory and turning his attention to the newspaper business, founded the Waverly Journal. Of this, six months later, he became sole proprietor and conducted it until January, 1885. Then selling out, he withdrew from the newspaper business and turned his attention to insurance and also began operating as Pension Agent.
The 27th of November, 1864, witnessed the marriage of our subject with Miss Maria C. Holiday, who was born in Waverly, July 13, 1844. This union resulted in the birth of four children, the eldest of whom, a son, Jonathan, died in 1883, at the age of nineteen years. The survivors are Joseph W., Elmer, and Tilla C. Mr. Meacham cast his first Presidential vote for Stephen A. Douglas and since that time has been an uncompromising supporter of the Democratic principles. He has held the various local offices and socially belongs to the Subordinate Lodge, I.O.O.F., and Encampment Lodge, in both of which he has passed all the Chairs. In religious matters, he inclines to the doctrines of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mrs. Meacham is the daughter of William M. and Maria (Bachelor) Holiday, who were early settlers of Central Illinois and the father one of its most eminent physicians. Dr. Holiday was born in Kentucky in 1807, and was a son of the Rev. Charles Holiday, a native of Virginia. The latter at the age of nineteen years was made a member of the Methodist Episcopal Conference, after which he went to Kentucky, where he was married and reared a large family. He had charge of various congregations in that State, living there until 1832. That year he came with his family to Illinois, and died near Chesterfield, in Macoupin County, in 1849.
William M. Holiday commenced the study of medicine with a brother in Tennessee, and entered upon the practice of his profession at St. Louis, Mo. Later, he removed to Whitehall, Ill., where he buried his second wife. Of this union there had been born one child only _ Robert N.T., who is now deceased. Dr. Holiday was married the third time in 1837, to Miss Maria Bachelor, daughter of Nehemiah and Rachel (Coe) Bachelor. She was born in Lennox, Harrison Co., N.Y., Oct. 30, 1810, and in 1836 the family came to Illinois and settled in Griggsville, Pike County, where the parents spent the remainder of their lives. Mr. Bachelor was born in Worcester County, Mass., whence he removed in his youth to New York State. He was reared on a farm, but being considerable of a genius, learned millwrighting and the trade of a machinist, which he followed thereafter. To him and his good wife there were born six children, the eldest of whom, a son, John C., died at the age of twenty years. David died near Portland, Oregon; Mary A. is a resident of Santa Cruz, Cal.; Maria, (Mrs. Holiday) is the next in order of birth; Laura died in Pike County, this State; Emily Jane is a resident of Murphysborough, Ill.
Dr. Holiday after his marriage with Miss Bachelor located in Greenfield, Ill., and three years later came to this county, established himself at Appalonia, near Waverly. Two years later he removed into the latter village, and died on the 22d of February, 1859. Of his last marriage there were born three children: Walter C. resides near Winchester in Scott County; Maria C., the wife of our subject; Rachel is the wife of B.F. Keplinger, of Waverly. As a physician, Dr. Holiday was careful and conscientious, and as a citizen, was held in high esteem and in religious matters, was a member in good standing in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JOHN R. MEGGINSON. On another page will be found a portrait of this well_known resident of Morgan County. He is the owner of a whole section of land, mostly improved, and possesses one of the finest homesteads in this county, which is embellished with a handsome and commodious residence, neat and tasteful outbuildings, and all the other appliances of a well_regulated estate. His first purchase of land in this county was in March, 1851, when he secured, in township 14, 200 acres, which comprises the nucleus of his present property. As a citizen, Mr. Megginson stands second to none in this county, being enterprising, industrious and wide_awake, and has met with the usual success attendant upon close attention to business. He has been a man of considerable travel and large observation, and has thus become well_informed upon those matters generally of interest to the intelligent individual. To such men as he, is Morgan County indebted for her position and standing among the intelligent communities of Central Illinois.
The first nine years of the life of our subject were spent on the other side of the Atlantic, in Yorkshire, England, where his birth took place May 8, 1823. His father, Ralph Megginson, was also a native of Yorkshire, and was married to Miss Mary Richardson, who was born and reared not far from the childhood home of her husband. After their marriage they emigrated to America in the fall of 1832, and coming to Illinois located about four and one_half miles west of Jacksonville, which was then in its infancy. The father took up a tract of land, and operated successfully as a tiller of the soil until advancing age admonished him to retire. He passed away on the 9th of February, 1888, at the advanced age of eighty_eight years. The mother had preceded her husband to the silent land May 11, 1869, at the age of sixty_seven.
Five sons and three daughters comprised the household of the parents of our subject, of whom John R. was the eldest. He was nine years of age when his parents crossed the Atlantic, and grew to man's estate in this county, remaining a member of his father's household until twenty_three years old. Then with the natural desire of youth for change, he set out to see something of the world. In 1816, starting out with a team from Independence, Mo., he drove the whole distance from there to Santa Fe, and thence to Chuhuahua, Mexico, which city was then under martial law. In consequence, he and his comrades were deprived of their liberty until the capture of the city by Col. Doniphan, in the spring of 1817. Upon his release, he returned to Missouri, remaining in Jackson County until the fall of the year, when he joined his parents in this county.
Starting out again in April, 1848, Mr. Megginson sought the great Northwest, in company with a man by the name of Hooker, and they traveled until reaching Oregon. There our subject engaged in the lumber business and sojourned six or seven months. In May, 1849, we find him mining in the northern part of California, where he also spent six or seven month, then started for Illinois, via the Isthmus, arriving home in march, 1850. The voyage was made on a sailing vessel. Our subject now worked on a farm a year, and at the expiration of that time was married.
In the summer of 1883, our subject, in company with his wife, revisited California, where Mrs. Megginson remained while he sought his old haunts in Oregon and spent about three months on the Pacific Slope. He has traveled in about twenty_nine different States and Territories, has met all kinds and conditions of people, and being a man who has kept his eyes open to what was going on around him, has consequently become very well informed. He can tell many an interesting tale, not only of pioneer life in Illinois, but of life on the Pacific Slope and in the great Northwest, and is one with whom many an hour might be spent pleasantly and profitably.
The marriage of our subject with Miss Fanny H. Hodgkinson was celebrated
at the home of the bride's uncle, in Scott County, this State, Jan. 16,
1851. Mrs. Megginson was born in Derbyshire, England, Jan. 1, 1831, and
was the eldest of the six children of George and Fanny (Dale) Hodgkinson,
who were also natives of that country. They emigrated to the United States
during the early settlement of Illinois, locating in Scott County, where
the father died in December, 1844, and the mother six weeks later. Of her
union with our subject there have been born seven sons and four daughters,
namely: George A., Richardson D., Ralph W., Elizabeth J., Joseph P.D.,
Robert V., Mary L., Reuben C., Linnie T., Simpson S. and Georgia H. Joseph
P.D. died Nov. 2, 1884, when a promising young man of twenty_five years
of age. Our subject, politically, is Democratic in his views, and socially,
belongs to the Masonic Fraternity, being identified with Blue Lodge No.
3, at Jacksonville, also Chapter and Commandery No. 31. Mrs. Megginson,
a very estimable lady, is a member in good standing of the Christian Church.
ELIAS METCALF, a native of this State, came, in 1840, to Morgan County, and purchased land on section 4, township 15. He was prosperous in his labors as a tiller of the soil, effected good improvements in the shape of farm buildings, and added to his first purchase, so that he is now the owner of 135 acres, which is chiefly devoted to cattle raising. He has now a tasteful and commodious residence, and all the outbuildings necessary for the successful prosecution of his calling. He has been a man of note in his county, serving as Deputy Sheriff and Constable, and occupying various positions of trust and responsibility.
The ancestors of our subject were natives of Virginia and Maryland, and of English origin. They have now become scattered over the whole of the United States. Elias was born Dec. 22, 1821, and is the son of Emanuel and Sarah (Purser) Metcalf, natives of North Carolina. They removed to Kentucky shortly after their marriage, where the father carried on farming until 1812. He then removed to White County, Ill., after having done good service as a soldier in the war of 1812, and from White County he removed to Morgan County, Ill. He departed this life at the homestead in Morgan County, in April, 1866. The mother had passed away previous to the decease of her husband Feb. 26, 1864.
Mr. Metcalf, our subject, early in life became familiar with farm pursuits, and was trained to those habits of industry and economy which have followed him all through life. At the age of twenty-four years he was married to Miss Elizabeth Black, a native of Kentucky. They began life together upon a farm in Morgan County, and became the parents of the following children: John P., the eldest son, married Miss Mary Kelley, of St. Louis, Mo., and they have three children; Nettie became the wife of J. H. Mapes, of Saline, Kan., and is the mother of six children; William R. married Miss Ella Kendall, of Morgan County, and they are the parents of three children; Arthur E. is a resident of St. Louis; Lizzie married Dr. John Trible, of Alton, Ill., and has two children. Mrs. Elizabeth Metcalf departed this life at her home near Jacksonville, Jan. 29, 1863.
Our subject, Dec. 25, 1865, contracted a second marriage with Miss
Emily Mead. This lady was born in Delaware County, Ohio, Apr. 21, 1833,
and is the daughter of Daniel and Lydia (Root) Mead, natives respectively
of Vermont and Ohio. Her father was a marble-cutter by trade, and after
a residence of a few years in the Buckeye State, removed to Indiana, where
he died in 1857. The mother survives him, making her home in Dubuque, Iowa.
Our subject and his wife are members of the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church
in Jacksonville, and Mr. Metcalf politically, votes the straight Republican
ticket. He is an earnest advocate of the principles of his party, and keeps
himself well posted upon current events.
HENRY M. MILLER. One of the finest fruit farms in Central Illinois lies on the Western limits of the town of Waverly, and belongs to the subject of this notice. As a horticulturist and nursery man Mr. Miller stands second to none in the county, and has made of his calling an art and a science, taking a pardonable pride in the knowledge that he has excelled. He has a comfortable residence and surroundings, and is recognized as one of the solid citizens of the place, who has been identified with its most important interests.
Of excellent old New England stock and of Welsh ancestry, Mr. Miller was born in Litchfield, Conn., Jan. 23, 1826. This branch of the Miller family was first represented in the United States during the Colonial days by three brothers, one of whom settled in South Carolina and two in the New England States. Rev. Jonathan Miller, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was born in Torringford, Litchfield Co., Conn., and was graduated from Yale College in 1777. While a student at Yale the British landed in New Haven, and young Miller, with his comrades, assisted in defending the town.
After being graduated from Yale Grandfather Miller at once entered the ministry of the Congregational Church at Burlington, Conn., where he spent the remainder of his life, dying at the age of sixty-three years. He was married and became the father of three sons and three daughters, among whom was Ebenezer, the father of our subject, who was born in 1799. Ebenezer desired to educate himself for the medical profession, but his father objected saying the profession was drifting into infidelity in regard to the Christian religion, and the aspiring youth abandoned his inclinations and became a manufacturer of clocks at Bristol. In this he was successful, but finally turned his attention to the manufacture of cloth. He was equally successful at this business until the financial panic of 1837, when he lost heavily, closed out and in the fall of 1840 sought his fortunes in the West.
The father of our subject, upon coming to Illinois brought with him about $1,000 in money and purchases 100 acres of land at $12 per acre. It had been but slightly improved, but by the exercise of diligence and economy the hardy pioneer succeeded in making a pleasant home for the family. He was rigidly opposed to slavery, and his house became a station of the underground railroad during the troublous times ensuing upon the agitation of that dismal question.
Before leaving Connecticut the father of our subject delayed his departure a few days in order to cast his ballot for James G. Birney, the first Anti-Slavery candidate for the Presidency. From 1840 to 1856 he voted with the Abolition party, and in the year last mentioned cast his ballot for John C. Fremont, the first candidate of the Republican party. In 1860 and 1864 he voted for Abraham Lincoln, and died on the 17th of February, 1865. He was a man outspoken in his views and strong in his adherence to what he believed to be right. In religious matters he was an active member of the Congregational Church. The wife and mother, Mrs. Permelia (Hopkins) Miller was of English ancestry and was born in Connecticut. The Hopkins family was represented in New England for several generations and many of them became widely and prominently known.
To the parents of our subject there were born seven children, five of whom lived to mature years. Margaret, the eldest daughter, married Solomon Richards, and died in Connecticut in 1857; Sarah became the wife of F. C. Bushway and died at Lincoln, this State, some years later; Abbie P. married Joseph Johnson and is living in Iowa; Helen P. was first married to George Ross, who died, and she then became the wife of J. E. Barrett; they are now living at Mt. Vernon, Iowa. The mother died at her home in Waverly, in March, 1883, at the age of eighty-three years.
The subject of this sketch was the only son of his parents, and was fourteen years old when they made the long journey from Connecticut to Illinois. They were in limited circumstances, and as young Miller was exceedingly anxious to obtain an education he worked hard, saved his money and realized at least a reasonable measure of his ambition. In 1849 he entered Illinois College, but on account of failing health was obliged, after a few months, to return home and recruit. In 1853 he entered the law school of Yale College, from which he was graduated in 1855. He practiced law at New Haven, Conn., until 1862, then returning to this State opened an office at Springfield. The Civil War, however, broke in upon his plans and expectations, as it did upon those of many others, and there being little call for the exercise of his talents in this direction, he returned home. His father being then about to build a dwelling, Henry M. obtained his first instruction in downright manual labor by digging the cellar of the contemplated structure. In 1863 he became interested in Osage orange for fencing purposes, and planted seeds in a considerable quantity, from which he realized, by the sale of plants the snug sum of $2,470. He was the first man to introduce this species of fencing from Texas into this State, and which has become very popular for this purpose.
After the death of his father our subject remained with his mother, looking after the homestead, practicing law to a certain extent, but giving the greater portion of his time to the farm of forty acres which he purchased, and which he has by degrees transformed into one of the finest fruit farms of this locality. He has a large orchard planted with 700 apple trees of one variety. In the meantime he has always interested himself in local affairs, holding the various offices, and was the first Mayor of Waverly.
Politically, Mr. Miller voted first, like his father before him, with the Abolition party, but after its abandonment affiliated with the Republicans until 1878. He subsequently advocated the doctrines of the National Greenback party, of which he has twice been a candidate for Congress. He is a rapid thinker, forcible and energetic in his conversation., and thoroughly well informed.
Mr. Miller was first married to Miss Ann M. Rowe, by whom he became
the father of one child, a son, Charles H., who is now a publisher in Springfield,
Mass. His second wife was Cynthia L. Hopkins, and of this marriage there
were born two children, both of whom are living - Maggie L. and Walter
GEORGE W. MILLER, physician and surgeon, and a resident of Woodson since 1872, was born in St. Charles County, Mo., May 11, 1842. His parents, Robert and Magdalene (Smons) Miller, were natives of Virginia, and the father a farmer by occupation. The latter was born Feb. 22, 1796, and died at his home in St. Charles County, Mo., April 30, 1871, when a little over seventy-five years of age.
The father of our subject was one of the earliest pioneers of Missouri, settling in St. Charles County, in 1823. He entered a tract of land, and became prominent in that section, serving as County Judge and as a Representative in the State Legislature of 1849-50. In politics he was an uncompromising Democrat, and one of the leaders of his party in that section. He had arisen from an humble position in life solely by the exercise of his own industry and was a man of more than ordinary intelligence, respected by all who knew him.
The mother of our subject was born in Rockbridge County, Va., June 11, 1806, and died at the old homestead in St. Charles County, Mo., Feb. 11, 1881. She was a lady possessing all the Christian virtues, and a devoted member of the Old School Presbyterian Church. The parental household included thirteen children, namely: John, James, Martha, Marianne, Elizabeth, Nancy, Adelaide, Susan, Sally; George W., our subject; Anna T., Silas W. and Mary Ellen. Of these John, Elizabeth, Adelaide and Nancy are deceased. The others are residents mostly of Missouri.
Our subject was reared upon his father's farm in his native county, where he made his home until a young man of twenty-three years. When leaving the parental roof he proceeded to Jacksonville, Ill., where he entered college, taking the full term of three years in the scientific course, and was graduated in 1868. From college he established himself in St. Charles, Mo., where he commenced studying medicine under the instruction of Dr. B. W. Rogers, with whom he remained two years. Subsequently he attended lectures in the Medical College at St. Louis, from which he was graduated on the 6th of March, 1871.
Dr. Miller commenced the practice of his profession in Prentice, this county, but in December following removed to Jacksonville, of which he continued a resident and practitioner until the summer of 1872. On the 19th of June, that year, he established himself at Woodson, where he has since continued to reside.
The subject of this sketch contracted matrimonial ties July 19, 1871, with Miss Lucy H. Galbraith. Mrs. Miller was born March 17, 1845, in Jacksonville, Ill., and is the daughter of Samuel and Sally (Crume) Galbraith, who were natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Kentucky. The father was born Jan. 9, 1799, and died at his home in Jacksonville, Ill., July 28, 1863. The mother was born Jan. 21, 1807, and passed away eleven years after the death of her husband in Jacksonville, Feb. 23, 1874. Mr. Galbraith was for many years a coppersmith by trade, and with his excellent wife was a member in good standing of the Christian Church. They were the parents of nine children, of whom Mrs. Miller was next to the youngest. Of her union with our subject there were born three children - Sally Edith, George Ernest and Grace Ernestine, all of whom died in infancy.
Mrs. Miller departed this life Feb. 6, 1888, in the forth-third year of her age. She was a most amiable Christian lady, beloved by all who knew her, and a zealous worker in the Christian Church, to which she had belonged a number of years. Possessed of fine musical talents, she was adept with the violin and a splendid performer on the piano and organ. Ever ready to advance worthy enterprises having for their object the social and moral welfare of the community, she cheerfully presided at the various entertainments in the village, and by her pleasant face and loveable disposition made herself a favorite with all, especially the young. In her death the community lost one of its brightest lights, and her husband his most cherished friend.
Politically Dr. Miller supports the principles of the Democratic party. In the Masonic fraternity he has held the office of Past Master for a period of four years. He is also a member of the Christian Church, to the support of which he contributes liberally of his means, and in whose welfare he is warmly interested.
A portrait of Dr. Miller is worthy of an honored place among the
prominent residents of Woodson.
WILLIAM MILLER. The pioneer element of this county recognizes the subject of this notice as one of its most worthy representatives, and he may be usually found at his pleasant and comfortable home in the little city of Meredosia, where he has many friends. He has just passed the sixty-fourth year of his age, having been born April 3, 1825. His native place was Baton Rouge, La., and his parents were Joshua and Catherine (Thomas) Miller, natives of New York State.
This branch of the Miller family is supposed to be of English descent, as was also the mother of our subject. The parents came to Illinois at an early day, and the father of our subject died in New Orleans, about 1825, from an attack of yellow fever. The mother was subsequently married to William Crawford, and they resided for a time in Missouri. Mr. Miller has been a resident of this State since a youth of seventeen years. His education was obtained by attendance at the subscription school, which was carried on in a log cabin with greased paper for window panes, the floor of puncheon, and the benches made of slabs upheld by rude wooden legs. The system of instruction was in keeping with those primitive times, and the text books (unlike those of the present day), were used by one child after another until worn out.
The life of our subject passed in a comparatively uninterrupted manner until the time of his marriage, which took place July 22, 1847. The maiden of his choice was Miss Lorena Thacker, and they became the parents of twelve children, only eight of whom are living, namely: John; William; Mary, the wife of George Turnham; Hannah, Mrs. Isaac Lake; Sarah, Mrs. Weber, a widow; Oscar; Edgar; and Frances, the wife of Henry Wade. Mr. and Mrs. Miller after marriage settled on a farm in Brown County, Ill., and Mr. Miller operated as a renter a number of years. He finally purchased 200 acres of land on Meredosia Bay, in township 16, range 13, to which he removed at once and entered upon its cultivation and improvement. Later he sold forty acres, and lived upon the 160 acres remaining, until removing to Meredosia in the winter of 1887. Prior to his removal he sold his farm for $5,600.
Mr. Miller's property has been accumulated solely by his own industry.
He first worked out by the month, living in a most economical manner and
saving what he could of his earnings, until he had enough to purchase implements
for farming on rented land. In his labors and struggles he has had the
faithful assistance of his estimable wife, who has stood by his side through
storm and sunshine, bearing with him the heat and burden of the day. Mrs.
Miller was born in this county Jan. 9, 1827, and is the daughter of William
and Charity (Glisson) Thacker, whose parents were among the earliest settlers
of Central Illinois. They were natives of Tennessee, and came to this county
in 1826, where they spent the remainder of their lives. They looked upon
the present site of Jacksonville when it was only marked by a few rude
houses and bore little semblance to a town. During the latter years of
their lives they lived on a farm northeast of the city, then removed to
Meredosia, and two years later to Brown County, where the mother died in
1845, and the father in 1857. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. Mr. Miller, politically, uniformly votes the Democratic ticket.
He has never had any ambition for office, preferring to confine his attention
to agricultural pursuits. He enjoys an extended acquaintance throughout
the county, where he numbers his friends by the score. The deceased children
of Mr. and Mrs. Miller are Cordelia, Stephen A., Margaret J., and one who
died in infancy.
County main page