PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
DR. LOUIS A. MALONE, junior member of the well_known medical firm of Pitner & Malone, enjoys with his partner a fine practice in Jacksonville and vicinity. He is a young man a little over thirty years of age, having been born May 14, 1858. Harrodsburg, Monroe Co., Ind., was his native place, and his parents were Dr. David R. and Julia C. (Yerkes) Malone, natives respectively of Owensville, Ill., and Pennsylvania. Dr. Malone, Sr., was a highly educated gentleman, a graduate of Yale College, and of the Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio. He commenced practice when a young man in his native State, and came to Jacksonville in 1863. He only followed his profession four years in this county, returning to Indiana in 1867, and locating at Edensburg, where his death took place in 1883. The mother is still living and makes her home with her son in Jacksonville.
Dr. Malone is the descendant of Irish ancestry on the father's side, and on the mother's of good old Holland stock, which crossed the Atlantic probably during the Colonial days, and settled in Pennsylvania. To his parents there were born five children, four living, namely: Mrs. Alice Morrison, of Iowa; Mrs. Emma McCurdy, of Indiana; Mrs. Mary Crum, of Cass County, this State, and Dr. Louis A.
The paternal grandparents of our subject were John and Elizabeth (Hunter) Malone, natives of Kentucky, where they were reared and married. They left the Blue Grass region, soon afterward locating in the vicinity of New Owensville, Gibson Co., Ind., where grandfather Malone entered 160 acres of land from the Government. There he remained as tiller of the soil, and with his excellent wife spent the remainder of his days. On the maternal side, the grandparents of our subject were Jacob P. and Huldah (Skinner) Yerkes, natives of Pennsylvania, and the former a farmer and carpenter combined. When leaving the Keystone State, they settled near Evansville, Ind., and the grandfather Yerkes lived only a short time thereafter. There was a large family of ten children, of whom six are living, including the mother of our subject. She was the eighth child. Mrs. Malone is a lady of much culture and refinement, and a member in good standing of the Christian Church.
The younger days of Dr. Malone were spent mostly in the common schools until he had reached his eighteenth year. He had in the meantime improved his opportunities, and now commenced teaching in Morgan County. Later he entered the Jacksonville High School, from which he was graduated in 1877. He now supplemented his education by a three years course of study at Bethany College in West Virginia, and upon returning, resumed teaching in this county and Cass, being thus occupied three years. In the meantime he improved his leisure hours reading medicine and by this means prepared himself to enter the Chicago Medical College, and was also graduated from this institution. Later he was installed as physician and surgeon of the Chicago Orphan Asylum during the three months absence of Dr. M.P. Hatfield.
Dr. Malone now returned to Jacksonville, and engaged in regular practice until 1887. During that year he spent three months in the New York City hospitals and Post_graduate schools on special work. He is a member of the Morgan County Medical Society, the Jacksonville Medical Club, and the American Medical Association. Politically, he is strongly Republican, socially belongs to the I.O. O.F., and in religious matters is a member of the Christian Church. He associated himself with Dr. Pitner in the summer of 1835. They form one of the leading firms in their profession in this county.
The marriage of Dr. L.A. Malone and Miss Charlotte Martin, of Newark,
New Jersey, was celebrated at the home of the bride in Newark, Jan. 3,
1888. Mrs. Malone was born on the 1st of April, 1864, in Newark, and received
a good education, having graduated from the High School at Newark. She
is the daughter of Henry C. and Sarah C. (Colie) Martin, who were natives
respectively of Massachusetts and New Jersey, and who now reside in New
Jersey. Mrs. Malone is a very pleasent and intelligent lady, and is a member
of the Christian Church. They have a pleasant home on College Avenue, and
enjoy the friendship of a circle of cultivated people.
DAVID MANCHESTER, deceased, was a noble type of the dauntless, hardy pioneer of Illinois, and Morgan County, of which he was an early settler, is greatly indebted to him, for what he did to promote its progress and high position it has attained among its prosperous and wealthy sister counties. Coming here in the days when the country was thinly inhabited by white people, and the Indians were still lingering around their old haunts, and there were scarcely any traces of the coming civilization, he had in the vigor of early manhood thrown himself heart and soul into the pioneer work before him, and in the long years of toil, sacrifice and hardship that followed he bravely and energetically performed his part in the upbuilding of a great commonwealth. His labors in behalf of himself and family were amply rewarded by the wealth that he succeeded in accumulating, and at the time of his death he owned a beautiful home, a large and valuable farm of more than 400 acres, had a surplus at the bank and owed no man a cent.
Our subject was born in Warren County, N.Y., in 1798, coming of good Revolutionary stock, his father, Thomas Manchester, having aided his fellow_colonists to get their freedom from the mother country, and in the course of the conflict receiving a would, for which he drew a pension the rest of his life. He was of English ancestry.
Our subject passed his boyhood in his native county, and while still a lad served thirty days in the war of 1812 as a fifer, under Gen. Strong and Capt. Spencer. At the age of seventeen he left the parental home to work in the lumber business at Quebec, N.Y. He afterward determined to make his way to the then almost unknown West, and see what life held for him in these wilds, and going to Ft. Duquesne, in Pennsylvania, he bought a skiff in which he floated down the Ohio River to Shawneetown, Ill., and thence he proceeded on foot to Miner Burton, below St. Louis. He worked in a lead mine at that place two years, and then walked to St. Louis, where he worked in a livery stable four months for $5 a month. At the expiration of that time he again set forth on a pedestrian tour, and coming to this county he settled in this township.
At that time Mr. Manchester had less than a dollar in his pocket, but he went to work with characteristic energy to obtain the wherewithal to supply him with the necessities of life, and the first thing he did was to split 500 rails for a pair of shoes, the leather being tanned here in a trough by Kasbier, with the hair not half removed. In order to procure material for clothes he raised cotton, which he took to Beardstown and traded for the required articles of apparel. During the time of the Indian troubles he took an active part against the savages, and served through the whole campaign in the Black Hawk War with Gen. Taylor, Jeff Davis and Abraham Lincoln, he having been a member of Col. Ewing's Spy Battalion. He went into the Mexican War as chief musician under Col. Hardin, but was taken sick, and sent back to Jacksonville, where he was discharged from the service. He was for some time engaged in making and burning brick in 1835. He devoted much of his time to agricultural pursuits, raising cattle, etc., and had his large farm well stocked, and became one of the leading and most prosperous farmers in this part of the county, his farm on section 5, township 16 north, range 8 west, comparing with the very best in this region.
June 12, 1825, was the date of his marriage with Miss Ethia Linda Cox. they were well suited to each other in mind and temperament, and in the years that they passed together, numbering over half a century, they mutually aided each other in making life a success, and from first to last their journey together was as happy as usually falls to the lot of mortals. In this homestead, which once belonged to her father, and to which she came when a girl in her teens, and where the most of her married life was passed, with the exception of a few years in the western part of this county, Mrs. Manchester is spending her declining years, and though more than fourscore years have whitened her venerable head she still retains much of her old time mental and physical vigor, and is active in spite of her years. Of her wedded life nine children were born, as follows: Thomas, Helen and Elizabeth (deceased), and Louisa; Van Rensselaer; James and David (deceased), Jerome, Josephine (deceased).
Mrs. Manchester is a native of Henry County, Va., born Oct. 9, 1803, to John and Jane (Prunty) Cox, who were also natives of that county. Early in the present century they removed to Anton County, Tex., and thence to Southern Illinois in the fall of 1819. They passed the following winter near St. Louis, and then her father came to this locality in the spring of 1820, and bought the farm where Mrs. Manchester and her family now live. After his daughter's marriage he removed with the other members of his family to Iowa, where his earthly pilgrimage was at last stayed by the hand of death. After his demise his widow came to this county and died at the home of our subject.
In this brief life_record of one so worthy of all honor and praise, the biographer can do but scant justice to the character of the subject. Here where so many years of his active and useful life were passed, and where his honorable career was brought to a close Sept. 6, 1878. at the venerable age of eighty years, his memory is cherished by the many who knew and venerated him as a pioneer, and as one of our best citizens, a kind neighbor and a well_loved friend. He always took a lively interest in politics, and he and his father_in_law and one other man were the only three to vote for James Monroe in this county. He was always an ardent follower of the Republican party after its organization.
Miss Louisa Manchester, the daughter of our subject, is managing
her father's large property with success, displaying ability and business
tact of a high order, and keeping up the farm to the same standard that
it had attained under her father's care.
THOMAS MANDAVILLE. There are few homes in Woodson Township more attractive or desirable than that belonging to the subject of this notice. He is the owner of 210 acres of choice land, where he has built a neat and commodious residence, around which have been planted here and there fruit and shade trees, while adjacent to the residence are the barn and other outbuildings necessary for the successful prosecution of agriculture. At this industry Mr. Mandaville has proved a success, and in the raising of grain and stock, especially the latter, there are few men in the county who excel him. As a citizen, he is highly popular, being a man prompt to meet his obligations, and he occupies no unimportant position socially and financially.
A native of County Tipperary, Ireland, our subject was born about 1829, and lived there until a young man of twenty years, receiving his education in the common school, and becoming familiar with farm pursuits. He was more than ordinarily energetic and ambitious, and at an early period in his life decided to do something in the world, and become a man among men. Seeing little prospect of realizing his desires in his native land he resolved to emigrate to America, and embarking at Waterford on an ocean vessel, landed duly in the city of New York. Thence he proceeded to New Jersey, in which State he sojourned about four years, and then going to Ohio was employed on a railroad six months. From the Buckeye State he emigrated South, and worked on the levee in Louisiana about six months, after which he returned to New Jersey.
The return of Mr. Mandaville to the above_mentioned State was the occasion of more than ordinary importance, as he was there soon afterward married, June 12, 1853, to Miss Mary Hickey. This lady was a native of the same county in Ireland as our subject, and was born about the same year. After marriage they lived in New Jersey probably about three years, and then removed to this county, of which they have since been residents. Mr. Mandaville was variously employed thereafter in the vicinity of Jacksonville, then came to Woodson, in the vicinity of which he rented land five years, and finally bought a part of the land which he now occupies. This comprised ninety_four acres _ the homestead proper _ to which he added later, and which now represents a fine amount of taxable property.
To our subject and his estimable wife there have been born nine children,
viz.: Luke, Ellen, Annie, John, Thomas, Mary, Maggie, Julia (who died when
six years old), and Lizzie. Mr. Mandaville, politically, votes the straight
Democratic ticket, and with his wife is a member of the Catholic Church,
attending services at Murrayville.
WILLIAM C. MANLEY, M.D., one of the most efficient physicians and surgeons of Morgan County, has for many years been a resident of Franklin village, and in this place and vicinity has built up a good business. He is a native of the Prairie State, having been born in Knox county, July 18, 1849, and lived there until nine years old. He then moved with his father, Archibald Manley, to the vicinity of Lincoln, in Logan County, where the latter engaged in farming and sojourned until 1869.
During the year above mentioned the father of our subject sold his farm property, and crossing the Mississippi with his family purchased 160 acres of improved land near Paola, Miami Co., Kan. He died of paralysis in 1888. The mother, Mrs. Mary (Capps) Manley, was a native of Fayette County, Ohio. The Capps family was of Irish ancestry and removed from Ohio to Knox County, this State, at an early day. The mother of our subject died in May, 1882.
Archibald and Mary Manley became the parents of seven children only, three of whom are living, viz: Margaret E., Benjamin L., and William C. of this sketch. The deceased were Richard S., Almira E., Mary J. and Harriet M. Mary became the wife of C.F. Johnson, a farmer of Logan County, this State, and the mother of one son, Henry. The latter married Miss Jennie Lawterman. Margaret E. Manley married Charles F. James, of McDonough County, Ill., who is now engaged in farming and stock_raising in Jefferson County, Neb.; they have five children. Benjamin L. was married to a Kansas lady, and is also engaged as a farmer and stock_dealer in Jefferson County, Neb.
Our subject accompanied his father to Kansas, but on account of ill_health returned to Logan County, this State, in September, 1871. He received a good education, attending school at Springfield, Ill., and completing a course in the Business College of that place. For four years thereafter he followed the profession of a teacher and in the meantime employed his leisure hours in the study of medicine with Dr. W. W. Howser, of Lincoln. In the winter of 1877 he went to St. Louis, Mo., where he attended the American Medical College, and was graduated in medicine and surgery in February, 1879. The same year Dr. Manley came to this county and established himself at Franklin, of which he has since been a resident. Not only has he gained laurels in his profession, enjoying a fine practice, but he is a general favorite, both in social and business circles. In Franklin he was married to his present wife, Miss Maggie E. Wright, daughter of James Wright, of Scott County, Ky. Mr. Wright was born in 1794, and departed this life in 1888. His wife, Mrs. Sarah (Head) Wright, also of Scott County, Ky., was born in 1811, and is still living, making her home with her daughter, Mrs. Manley.
Carl W., the only son of the doctor and his estimable wife, was born
May 7, 1882. The younger child, Mary, was born Nov. 11, 1888. Our subject,
politically, is a working Republican, and invariably does good service
for his party at the polls. He has been a member of the Village Board of
Trustees, and at one time was connected with the Board of Health. He is
a Master Mason and belongs to the lodge at Franklin, in which he has frequently
held official positions. Both he and his estimable wife belong to the Christian
Church. They occupy a neat home, and enjoy the acquaintance and friendship
of the best people in the community. The doctor is genial and companionable,
_ one who readily makes many and warm friends.
WILLIAM B. MARKHAM. Morgan County has few more valued or esteemed citizens than the subject of this biography. It is his native county, his birth occurring on the 15th of November, 1858. He is the son of Edward and Ann Markham, natives of England. They emigrated to this country about 1838, and came direct to Illinois, settling in this county on a farm adjoining the site of the present Markham Station. Upon settling here Mr. Markham purchased 160 acres of land, paying for the same at the rate of $6 per acres. The land had few improvements, and he occupied himself for many years in developing it from its dreary and primeval condition. Here he made his home until his decease, in 1848. His farm then comprised 260 acres of land, in a very high state of cultivation, and provided with everything in the line of farm buildings needed for a well-managed farm of that extent. His wife survived him about ten years, and died in the year 1858. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom five only survived, these are: Ellen, widow of the late John McCluskey, of Jacksonville; Mary A., wife of John T. Longley; David, who lives at Springfield; Mathilda A., now Mrs. O. C. Ducket; and William B., our subject. Those deceased are as follows: George, Caroline, Eliza, Jane, Elizabeth and Thomas.
Edward Markham was, in his political relations, a member of the Whit party. He was a thorough pioneer, and upon his demise, his fellow-citizens showed in all possible ways their appreciation of his efforts on behalf of the public good, as well as personal respect and sympathy for his family. He was prominent in the affairs of the county, and also in religious circles, being a devout and earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and enjoyed the confidence and esteem of those who were connected with him in that relation, as well as of the community at large.
William B. Markham, the subject of our sketch, was reared upon a farm. Such education as was obtainable was given him, although it would now, perhaps, be considered quite incomplete. In 1858 he went to Alabama, where he remained until 1865, when he returned home. Since that time he has continued his residence uninterruptedly in this county. He was married on the 20th of February, 1868, the maiden of his choice being Harriet J. Williams, daughter of Uell and Emily Williams, who like his own parents, were early settlers in the county, having come hither about the year 1838. Her father died in February, 1880, and her mother in April, 1884. She was one of four children born to them, whose names are recorded as follows: Elzina, wife of Lynas Williams, of Whiteside County; Mary, deceased; Charles, of this county; and Emily, Mrs. W. B. Markham.
The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Markham has been fruitful in the birth of five children, whose names are: Effie J., who was born on the 15th day of May, 1869; Thomas U., Oct. 29, 1872; Annie E., Dec. 13, 1874; Fannie P., July 20, 1878; and Harry W., Feb. 22, 1873. This interesting family is being brought up by our subject, so far as religious training is concerned, in the Christian Church, of which both parents are devout members, our subject having served as an Elder in the same for many years.
Mr. Markham and his wife are now in the prime of life, and enjoy
it in their beautiful home, surrounded as they are by all the conveniences,
and not a few of the luxuries of life. They are always found taking an
active part in any project or enterprise that is for the benefit of the
people, religious organizations, or the younger members of the community.
They move in the best circles of society, and are everywhere highly respected.
Our subject served three years as School Director, performing every duty
that came to him in that relation with careful, conscientious punctiliousness.
He has always been identified with the Democratic party, being an ardent
friend and supporter of the same.
STEPHEN S. MASSEY, who was one of the prominent citizens of this county, died at his home, located in township 15, range 11 section 29, Oct. 14, 1877, after a very short illness; the date of his death being the thirty_eighth anniversary of his marriage. He was a native of St. Lawrence County, N.Y., and was born Feb. 18, 1814. His father, Silas Massey, was a native of Salem, N.H. The family came from good New England stock. Silas Massey was reared to manhood in his native town, and later removed to St. Lawrence County, N.Y., and was married, in the State of Vermont, to Miss Frances Farnsworth, who was a native of the latter State. After their marriage they began life in St. Lawrence County, and here part of their children were born. At a date which is not known the family came West, and for a time lived in or about Dubuque, Iowa, whence they removed to St. Charles, Mo., finally locating in Morgan County, in 1837, in what is known as Diamond Grove. Mr. Massey improved his farm well, and after seeing his family well started in life he passed away, Jan. 2, 1874, at the age of eighty_seven years and nine months. He left behind him an excellent record; he was an intelligent man, of moral characteristics, but not a member of any church. He acted with the Republican party and took great interest in local politics. His wife died Aug. 7, 1871, in her eighty_third year. She died in the Presbyterian faith.
Stephen S. Massey was the youngest child of a family of four that attained maturity, three of whom are married and have families. Stephen was reared as a farmer, and as he came to Morgan County in 1837 takes rank as one of the pioneers. He was married, in this county, Oct. 14, 1840, to Miss Levina A. Bement. She was born in Bradford, N.H., May 10, 1817, and was the daughter of Samuel and Lucy (Barnes) Bement, natives of New Hampshire and Vermont, respectively. Mr. Bement was a blacksmith and worked at his trade for a long time in Vermont, and after the birth of seven children he removed with his family to Bradford, N.H., where Mrs. Massey was born, being the eighth child; she was a twin. Three children were born in New Hampshire, making ten. Her mother died in Bradford, in 1836, and in the following year her father also died, both being at an advanced age. They sustained a good reputation and were beloved by all who knew them.
Shortly after the death of her parents Mrs. Massey, when about twenty years of age migrated with some relatives to Illinois, coming by team. They stopped in Michigan for a while, and in two years after she left New Hampshire she arrived in Morgan County, was married, and her husband and he began life on a farm. Mr. Massey from the start was successful in the business of stock_raising and general farming, and in time by industry and shrewd management, built up a good home, along with the many that are located on the Mound Ridge road. Since his death Mrs. Massey has operated the farm of 115 acres, and has exhibited her good management by making a success of it. She is highly respected for her many good qualities and is deserving of the home she now owns and occupies. She is the mother of eight children, two of whom are deceased _ Emily J. and Ettie. The former died at the age of sixteen months, while Ettie passed away a few days before her contemplated marriage. The following are living: Maria L., wife of Edward Ayers, they are residing on a farm at Emporia, Kan. Henry H. is living in Los Angeles, Cal., and is engaged as a fruit merchant; he married Miss Mary Barber, who died in Chicago, leaving three children. George W. married Mary Dellaven, of Beardstown, they now live in Kentwood, La. Anna F. is the wife of Jefferson Ketner, a farmer who lives in Jacksonville; Clara E., is the wife of Robert D. Moffet, and they are now residents of Chicago; Silas married Ida L. Verry, of this county, and now manages his mother's farm. He is one of the young and progressive stock_breeders of this State, and makes a specialty of Poland_China hogs, and he has been very successful. He is also interested in Percheron horses. It is his intention to ultimately make his farm a model one, and to raise Poland_China stock exclusively. He also raises fine poultry of the Plymouth Rock breed.
Mrs. Stephen S. Massey is a Presbyterian, and is interested in all
social affairs. Her husband, politically was a strong Republican, as also
are his sons.
H. H. MASSEY, is a well_known breeder of English Shire, _ all purpose and roadster horses. He is located on a pleasant farm in section 36, township 15, range 11, known as Diamond Grove Stock Farm, which is three miles from Jacksonville. This place is well supplied with good buildings, and everything around it denotes a successful farmer. Mr. M. has quite a number of imported and home bred stallions, among them are two of the finest English Shires in the State.
Mr. Massey has made an enviable record for himself as a breeder of this class of horses, a business in which he has been engaged since 1882. He has always been a resident of this township and county and is well and favorably known as an honest straight_forward business man. He keeps his stallions under perfect control, so that he can drive them single, double, or tandem. He has shown his stock at many fairs and public exhibitions and has carried away a large number of premiums. Mr. Massey is a native of the township in which he lives, having been born on the old Massey homestead, Oct. 17, 1849. He came of a good family of old settlers. His father, H.H. Massey, Sr., died here at his home, June 26, 1879, at the age of sixty_eight years. He located in this county in 1827, coming from New York State with his father, Silas Massey. The latter died at the home now occupied by his grandsons, the subject of this notice. Silas Massey and his sons, H.H., Sr., and S.S. were farmers in St. Lawrence County, N.Y., until they came West in 1826. They first went to St. Charles, Mo., and the following year located in Morgan County. The history of Silas and H.H. Sr., his son is that of true pioneers, having come here before the winter of the deep snow. Silas lived until he was eighty_eight years and nine months old, and died respected by all. H.H. Massey, Sr., was also a man much beloved, and known as a moral, honest, hard_working man. He was married in 1834, in Morgan County, to Miss Margaret Officer, who settled with her father in Morgan County in an early day, coming from Tennessee. She died July 2, 1889.
H.H. Massey, Jr., of whom we write, had the advantage of the advice
of a good father and mother until he arrived to man's estate in 1874. He
was married in Chicago, to Miss Jennie R. Hunt. She was born in DuPage
county, Ill., near Aurora. She is the daughter of Charles and Sarah Hunt.
Mr. Hunt died in Chicago. He was then retired from business, and died very
suddenly. His wife is yet living with her son on a farm in DuPage County,
Ill. She was born in Canada, while Mr. Hunt was a native of England. They
were married in Canada, and lived there for some years after their marriage,
engaged in the drug trade. In 1839 they came to Illinois and located on
a farm near Aurora. Mrs. Massey received a good education, and is an intelligent
lady. She is the mother of six children; Lydia being dead. The following
are living: Stella M., Charles H., Minnie E., Agnes I. and Mary A. Mr.
Massey is a Republican.
JOHN MATHERS, deceased. This gentleman, who during his lifetime was one of the much valued and highly esteemed citizens of this county was born in Ireland on the 18th of January, 1814, to Wesley and Eliza (Drennen) Mathers, and was the oldest of a family of four children. Their names were as follows: John, Eliza, Mary Ann and Wesley. He came to this country when about nine years of age with his parents, who had determined to try the new world, imagining, and rightly so, that their children would there receive a large opportunity in life. They settled near Lexington, Ky., and there the family lived for three years. At the end of that period they emigrated to Illinois and decided to locate in this county, and finally made their home at Jacksonville. This settlement occurred in 1832.
Mr. Mathers obtained a fairly good education, although circumstances were not entirely propitious to that end. After attending the classes in a common school he was privileged to become a student in Illinois College and there continued to pursue his studies. Upon leaving the school he began to clerk in a store, and there remained until he embarked in business upon his own account. This he continued with prosperity until he was about twenty-five years of age; about that time he conceived it to be his duty to preach the gospel, and was licensed to preach in the Methodist Episcopal church. He joined the Illinois Conference, and received an appointment to the Athens Circuit, and subsequently to the Petersburg Circuit. Later he was put on the Decatur Circuit and sent to Upper Alton Station. After that he was on the Waverly Circuit, and finally that at Jerseyville, and continued for six months, when he was sent to St. Louis, Mo., as minister to the Methodist Episcopal Church to minister to those who did not join the Southern Methodist Episcopal Church at the time of the division on the slavery question.
In the year 1848, owing to his health failing him, Mr. Mathers was compelled to relinquish his ministerial work, and then he engaged in the real estate business in Jacksonville. By thrift and industry he was able to accumulate a most desirable competency and also to give liberally to the different educational and religious institutions of the county. One of the chief of these in his mind, and one that perhaps was more generously dealt with by him, was the Illinois Female College at Jacksonville. He was a man unfeignedly respected and honored - benevolent, charitable and at all times a Christian gentleman.
On the 26th of January, 1844, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. John Mathers and Miss Juliet M. Tucker. Of this union there were born five children, viz.: Joseph Tabor, who was ushered into life on the 10th of July, 1849, was married in the fall of 1874, was left a widower about two years later, and now resides at home with his mother; William Drennen was born on the 21st of December, 1852, was married to Miss Luella A. Todd on the 28th of July, 1881, the service being performed by the Rev. J. F. Chaffee of Minneapolis. They are the parents of one daughter, Bessie T., who was born on the 1st of August, 1882. This son is the First Deputy Sheriff of Morgan County, and owns an interest in the Star Planing Mills. Edward N. was born on the 2d of August, 1855, and died at the age of seven years; Eloine B. was born on the 22d of November, 1860, and is now the wife of Dr. F. H. Luce of Springfield, Ill.; Anna, who was born on the 1st of July, 1866, and died on the 1st of September, 1868. All the children received the best education that was obtainable, and Eloine graduated at the Illinois Female College in the Class of 1880.
Mrs. John Mathers, the widow of our subject, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., on the 28th of April, 1826. She was the second child of four born to William and Cassandra (Moore) Tucker. Their names are as follows: Mary, who was the wife of William H. Beggs of this county. She and her husband are both deceased; Juliet Moore is the widow of Mr. Mathers; Elias M. Tucker, one of the prosperous farmers of Sangamon County is the husband of Rebecca Ann Kinney of Sangamon County; and Ruth who married Alfred Henderson, both of whom are now deceased.
The father of Mrs. Mathers was a native of Kentucky, and was born on the 20th of April, 1787. He was one of fourteen children born to his parents, whose names are recorded as follows: Ruth, Thomas, Samuel, Elias, Joseph, Edward, Elizabeth, Thomas, Samuel, Elias, Joseph, Edward, Elizabeth, William and John (twins), Absalom, Aletha, Rebecca, Cynthia and a babe who died in infancy.
Mrs. Mathers has ever since the death of her husband, even more than
retained the high place and regard of her friends and neighbors previously
occupied by her, and in every circle, social, religious or otherwise is
much esteemed. She has borne the trials and bereavements of her life in
a spirit that has won for her an admiration because of the Christian resignation
and patient spirit exhibited.
MRS. WESLEY MATHERS, who was born at Warsaw, Ky., Sept. 25, 1827, was the youngest of six children of Henry and Millicent (Yates) Yates. These children who have grown up and taken their places in honorable walks of life are as follows: Thomas Yates, and Richard, Ex_Governor of Illinois, deceased; Abner, who until recently resided in Jacksonville, but now lives at Yates Centre, Kan., a town platted by and named after him; Martha, the wife of John Scott, of Berlin, in this State; Jane, now Mrs. F. H. Elliott, also living in Berlin; and Millicent our subject.
Henry Yates, the father of our subject, and also his wife are natives of Virginia. In the early days of their married life they emigrated to Kentucky, and resided at Warsaw, where our subject was born. About the year 1830, Mr. Yates came to Springfield, in this State, and remained for a few years engaged in mercantile pursuits. Closing up his business he removed into the country in the same county and bought a tract of land and there founded both old and new Berlin. At the time when the Wabash railroad was built the cars were drawn by horses, and thus came into town. There he resided until his death, which occurred in the year 1866. He carried on until that time a flourishing business in Berlin, and was enabled to give each of his children a good start in the same place.
The first wife of Mr. Yates died at Warsaw; in the same town he was remarried, the name of the lady being Mary Ann Shuff, a native of that place. There was one child born to them to whom the name of Henry was given. He was educated at Jacksonville, and subsequently engaged in business with his father, in which he continued until the outbreak of the War, when he entered the Union service, was commissioned Captain in the 26th Regiment, and after some months was promoted to be Colonel of the Regiment. The second wife of Mr. Yates died at Berlin. Subsequently he was married to Miss Elizabeth McMillan, of that town. This lady was a first cousin of his second wife. Of this union there were born six children: William, John, Hawes, (the family name of the great grandmother), Marshall, Mary, and James, who died in infancy. The others came to mature years, but are all dead excepting John, who resides in Allburg, Iowa, and Hawes in Jacksonville.
Wesley Mathers the husband of our subject, now deceased, was born on the 17th of October, 1821, near the city of Dublin, Ireland, to Wesley and Mary Ann (Drennan) Mathers, and was the youngest child of four, viz: John, Mary Ann, Eliza and Wesley. Mr. Mather, Sr., came with his family to this country and settled in Lexington, Ky., in 1823, but removed to Jacksonville in the year 1830, and resided there until his death, which occurred in 1852. His wife survived him about one year. After the death of his parents, Wesley was married to our subject, the event being celebrated on the 30th of May, 1854, at Berlin, Sangamon County. He brought his wife to Jacksonville, to his home on East State street, which has since that time been the family residence. Of this marriage one daughter _ Marietta, was born on the 1st of January, 1857, and has always lived at home. She graduated at the Methodist Episcopal College, at Jacksonville, 1875, and became the wife of Frederick Harvey Rowe, of Poultney, Vt. in the year 1884.
Both families represented in the above have been prominent in the
State and have taken an active part in the work of building up that section
thereof with which they were more immediately connected. They have always
moved in the best of society and enjoyed to an unusual degree that confidence
and esteem of the community, which has been in nowise denied to the lady,
who is the subject of this sketch. Her life, temperament, disposition,
education and culture all bespeak and insure for her the highest regard
of all, more especially those who have the honor to know her best. The
various trials of her life not excluding her bereavement, have been borne
in a spirit of Christian resignation and womanly fortitude, that while
exciting the sympathy at the same time won the respectful admiration of
RICHARD MATHEWS(deceased), was born in Bourbon County, Ky., Dec. 14, 1815. He emigrated from his native State in company with his father, and reached Morgan County in 1823. These people may truly be called pioneers.
The future is full of possibilities for the young man who has secured a foothold in almost any place in the Great West, for he has none of the conditions with which to contend that clustered around the early settlers. The difference between the pioneer and the young man who becomes a tiller of the soil to-day, is about the difference that exists between a path in the woods and a modern boulevard. The difficulties surrounding early citizenship have been relegated to the past, and the conditions now, if not luxurious, are at least comfortable, and if one becomes the happy owner of an Illinois farm it is all ready for the reaper and the plow. There are now no wild unbroken prairies to subdue, no swamps to drain or trees to fell. This preliminary work has been done by a hardy set of pioneers, and it is only necessary for those who follow them to reap the benefits of their labors. And the one of whom we write is entitled in every respect to the honor that inevitably attaches to the names of those who fought the unequal battle in a manner that made it possible for the prairies of Illinois to teem with plenty.
Richard Mathews, Sr., as has been before stated, came here in 1823, at the time when the celebrated author of the Monroe Doctrine was President of the United States, and, as a matter of course, his father, Richard S., purchased his land of the Government. Our subject was married four times; he had five children.
Richard Mathews, Jr., whose name appears at the head of this sketch, was married, Feb. 1, 1866, to his present wife, and resided on the homestead continuously up to the time of his death, which occurred May 22, 1878. He was the father of five children, whose records follow: Martha H., born Oct. 28, 1866; Sarah M., born Jan. 2, 1869; Lilian M., born April 3, 1871; Richard R., born May 4, 1873; Fred M., born Oct. 13, 1875. The children are all living at home with their mother.
Mr. Mathews owned at the time of his death a magnificent estate comprising 587 acres of land, with fine buildings, and the land is in a good state of cultivation. The farm has, since the decease of Mr. Mathews, been subdivided, the heirs getting the parts due them, and is now carried on in an excellent manner by the elder son. They do a general farm business, and are, like their father before them, extensive handlers of cattle, horses and hogs.
Mr. Mathews was a man of sterling character, who commanded the respect of all with whom he came in contact. He was successful both in a business and social way. He held the office of Deputy Sheriff for a long time and acquitted himself in a highly creditable manner. Charity, to him, was a cardinal virtue, for he was ever ready, and without ostentation, to lend a helping hand to those who were pulling hard against the stream. He belonged to the Methodist Church and also the Masonic order.
Our subject was a Republican in politics, simply because he believed
that party to be right. When Richard Mathews died the world was the loser.
CAESAR MAYFIELD. Upon North Main street stands the livery stable so successfully run for the past five years by the gentleman, the salient points of whose history are here briefly recited. He is the oldest of six children, who comprise the family of Milton and Elizabeth (Caudle) Mayfield, and was born on the 28th of September, 1849, at Franklin, in this county. The other members of the family are: Brock L.; Sarah; Murray; E. W.; and R. R.; all of whom are unmarried, and with the exception of E. W. and our subject reside at home.
Milton Mayfield, the head of this household, is aa native of Alabama, and was born in the year 1822. When he was seven years of age, his parents came to Morgan County, he, of course, accompanying them. Since that time he has always continued to reside in it, and has been identified with all its interests. He has been a tiller of the soil from his youth, and by no means unsuccessful in that employment. He was elected Sheriff of this county in 1868, and served in that office for two years. He engaged subsequently in the cattle trade, and for six years was practically a resident of Nebraska, although his family, whom he visited as often as possible, remained in the old home. At the end of that period he sold his interest in the business, and retired from active business life. He was the oldest of six brothers and one sister born to Ennis and Mary (Myers) Mayfield, who were born in Alabama and Tennessee, respectively.
The subject of our sketch is an educated man, having been through the classes of the regular institutions, and was graduated from the Jacksonville Business College. Until he was twenty-one years of age, he lives with his father. He then engaged in the live-stock and cattle trade, which he continued until the year 1884, when he opened the livery and sale stable, and has established it upon a firm business basis. His stable is largely patronized, and is considered the largest and best in Morgan County. His prosperity in business is beyond question, and is all the more noteworthy, seeing that it has been all his own work.
The family of which Mr. Mayfield is a member, is one of the oldest
and most prominent pioneer families of the county, and has always been
held in the highest regard by the citizens of the same. The subject of
this sketch has not only fully sustained the honor and reputation of the
family, but added thereto. He is genial and affable, business-like and
thorough in everything he undertakes, and has a reputation for sterling
qualities and disposition, most desirable. He is a member of the K. of
P. and I.O.O.F. Societies, and in each is much esteemed. Usually he votes
the Democratic ticket, having been for many years a member of that party.
He is counted as one of the firmest friends and staunchest adherents, and
not without just reason. He also has a fine stock farm of 360 acres, three
miles east of Murrayville.
JORDAN W. McALISTER. Among the rising citizens in the southwestern part of this county may be properly numbered the subject of this notice, who is still young in years but who has made a good start in life, being the owner of a 100_acres farm in section 22. He has a neat and substantial brick residence, a good barn and the other outbuildings necessary to complete the rural homestead. Although perhaps not the hero of any very thrilling event, he is looked upon as a thorough and skillful farmer, an honest man and a good citizen, and is thus amply worthy of representation in a work designed to perpetuate the record of those who took part in the growth and development of this county.
The McAlister family is of ancient origin and has borne an honorable name as far back as the records go. The father of our subject, Jordan W. McAlister, Sr., was born in Anderson County, Ky., May 5, 1818, and came to Illinois in his youth, settling with his parents in this county. Upon reaching man's estate he married Miss Lucy Henry, a native of this county, and they settled in Township 14, where they established a comfortable homestead, and became the parents of four children, of whom our subject was the second born. He spent his earlier years in a manner similar to that of the sons of pioneer farmers generally, and chose agriculture for his life occupation. He acquired a common_school education, while his natural adaptability to business has sufficed for all his later needs in the educational line.
Perhaps the most important event in the life of our subject was his marriage, which occurred in West Quincy, Mo., Aug. 26, 1877, the bride being Miss Eliza Harney. This lady was born in township 14, this county, Aug. 12, 1860, and is the daughter of Francis and Mary (Kitner) Harney, both natives of this county, and who are now residing near Jacksonville. They are the parents of three children, of whom Mrs. McAlister is the eldest. She remained under the home roof until her marriage, acquiring her education in the common school, and being trained to those housewifely duties, a knowledge of which has so much influence in the happiness and comfort of a home.
To our subject and his estimable wife there have been born five children,
namely: Grace E., Henry C., Bessie L., Carl F. and Oliver D. The eldest
is ten years old and the youngest two. Mr. and Mrs. McAlister are connected
with the Christian Church, attending services at Woodson, and our subject,
politically, is an unwavering supporter of Republican principles. His father
possessed considerable inventive genius, and is the patentee of the Tile
Ditching Machine, which has become quite extensively known among the farmers
of this part of the State where it has been used to excellent advantage.
THOMAS McALLISTER, a prominent Irish_American citizen of Morgan County, is a native of County Antrim, Ireland, and was born Nov. 1, 1828. He was a son of Robert and Annie (Garden) McAllister, both natives of the North of Ireland. His father was of Scotch origin, while his mother was of Irish descent. He was reared in his native country, where he learned thoroughly to be a farmer. He here received a fair education, and having been a constant reader all his life, he has become what may be called a fairly posted, well educated man. He emigrated to America in the summer of 1848, taking passage at Belfast, from which place he proceeded to Liverpool, and from there sailed for America in the ship "Uriel," and after a voyage of nine weeks and three days, landed in New Orleans, where he remained for three weeks, being afflicted with a bad case of small_pox, which disease was contracted on the vessel. For many days his life was despaired of but he finally recovered his health.
Mr. McAllister's first impressions of America, as viewed from a sick bed, where he lay afflicted with one of the most loathsome diseases known, were not likely to inspire him with hope, and favorable opinions of his adopted land. But he was not built of the stuff that is easily turned aside by discouragement. After his recovery, he boarded a steamboat at New Orleans and came to Beardstown, Ill., where he secured a position of attending a warehouse, a place he retained for three years. He was afterward engaged for a short time in driving a team for a merchant at Chandlerville, Ill. He was also in the employ of another merchant for about one year in the same town.
On Jan. 5, 1854, Mr. McAllister was married to Miss Hannah Needham, by whom he has eleven children. Seven of these are living, as follows: Robert, is a resident of Cass County, Ill. Ann married Joseph Horom, of Logan County, Ill.; Mary is the wife of T. Masterson, of Cass County, Ill.; Alice is now Mrs. Sibert and resides in this county; Joseph, Thomas B. and Emma are living at home. For a long time Mr. McAllister rented a place, but as his financial condition improved, he bought a farm of eighty acres of land near Hickory school_house, in Cass County, Ill., and settled thereon. He lived there several years, when he sold out and bought a quarter section where he now lives. Later he purchased 160 acres more, which in all makes him a farm of a half section. This place is under excellent cultivation, and being of the average Meredosia bottom land, it is necessarily very fertile. His half section of land has cost him $21,300.
By good management, strict attention to business and probity of character, Mr. McAllister has surmounted all the obstacles that a poor man has to encounter in a comparatively new country, and has risen to the top. He is a representative farmer and stock_raiser and is considered an authority in these vocations. Politically, he is a Democrat, and has served as School Director in Cass County for many years. He is identified with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, as is also his wife. They take great comfort in their church relations, and are never happier than when doing some act of charity. Mr. McAllister has a very extended acquaintance in this county, and is favorably known as being a man of sound judgment. He is proud of the fact that the first President for whom he voted was Franklin Pierce.
Mrs. McAllister is a native of England, and was born April 27, 1834.
She is a daughter of Joseph and Machel (deceased) Needham. When but a small
girl she came with her parents of America, and settled in Jacksonville
in an early day, where her father attained prominence as a well_to_do farmer.
Her father now lives in Cass County, Ill. In closing this brief sketch
it should be stated that there is probably not a more popular couple living
in Morgan County than Mr. and Mrs. McAllister, and they are so by reason
County main page