PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
JESSE LAKE. Among the early pioneers of this county Mr. Lake deserves honorable mention. He represents property to the amount of 240 acres of choice land, eligibly located on section 32, township 16, range 12, which has been brought to a good state of cultivation by perseverance and industry. He has substantial farm buildings, a goodly assortment of live stock, and the machinery necessary for the successful prosecution of agriculture.
A native of Kentucky, Mr. Lake was born in Hancock County, July 15, 1825, and is the son of Lord H. and Jane (Branham) Lake, the father a native of Pennsylvania and the mother of Virginia. His paternal ancestors were of German and French origin, while the mother traces her lineage to England and Ireland. John Branham, a maternal great-uncle of our subject, served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War, going into the army when a lad of fourteen years.
In 1845, when a young man of twenty years, Mr. Lake emigrated with his parents from Kentucky to Illinois and settled in Cass County, where the father died shortly afterward. Jesse remained with his mother until ready to establish a home of his own, and was married in Cass County, April 9, 1848, to Miss Harriet, daughter of Henry and Patsy (Brown) Phelps. Of this union there were born six children only two of whom are living - Isaac and Jesse, Jr. The deceased were Harrison, Henry, Martha and Lindsay.
Mr. Lake came to Morgan County in 1867, and settled upon his present farm where he has since lived. He has effected most of the improvements upon it, and like his brother pioneers labored early and late during his younger years in order to establish himself upon a solid foundation, financially. In the meantime he has seen the country grow up around him and the wild prairie give place to cultivated fields and pleasant homesteads. At the time of his coming here deer were quite plentiful, and in the winter the trees were loaded with prairie chickens. He has been essentially the architect o f his own fortunes, having received no assistance from other men except their friendship and good will, which he has gained by his upright life and steady adherence to the principles of honesty and integrity.
Mr. Lake is not a member of any church organization but believes
in religious institutions and especially in the advocacy of temperance.
He usually supports the Democratic party, except in local elections, when
he believes in choosing the men who will best serve the interests of the
people. Both he and his estimable wife are still in their prime and able
to enjoy the fruits of their labors. They have gathered around them many
friends, and their home is one of the pleasantest places of resort in the
township. The education of Mr. Lake consisted of three months' attendance
at the district school, but he will be readily recognized as an intelligent
man, and one well posted upon the current events of the day.
LAKE, AARON, farmer and blacksmith, Sec. 30, P.O. Meredosia; born in Cass County, Ill., Aug. 29, 1835, six miles northeast of Meredosia, where he lived until his twentieth year; came to this county in 1855; has lived here since. He follows farming and black smithing for a living; runs a corn sheller and wood saw. He was married 1857 to Sarah Bosseck, who was born in Montgomery County, Ind., April 15, 1840; have six children living: Nellie, born Jan. 5, 1859; Elizabeth, born Feb. 11, 1861; Hattie, born May 31, 1863; Laura, born Sept. 21, 1865; Effie, born April 27, 1867; George, born April 17, 1877. They lost three children: Hannah, born Oct. 9, 1870, died in infancy; Mary, born Sept. 8, 1872, died Oct. 27, 1874; Artist, born Feb, 8, 1875, died Feb. 8, 1876. His father, Lindsay Lake, was married seven times: Milly Carter, first wife; second wife, Jane Langdon, widow; third wife, Caroline Evans; fourth wife, Dorothy Hatfield, widow; fifth wife, Sarah Bruce, widow; sixth wife, Lizzie Bigelow; seventh wife, Susan Bond, widow.
MRS. EDWARD LAMBERT. This lady, by reason of her relations to her late husband, and also for her own personal worth, is most certainly worthy a place in a volume of this description. Her maiden name was Hannah Denby, and she is the daughter of Thomas and Eleanor (Condor) Denby, who were natives of Yorkshire, England. Her father was extensively engaged in farming in his native country, but, believing that America offered a larger field and greater opportunity for success, he came to this country and ultimately settled in Morgan County, arriving here in the year 1834. He made his home about six miles west of the city of Jacksonville, where he purchased a farm and continued to live upon it until his death. The family circle included four children, only two, however, are living. These are Mrs. Lambert, who is the eldest of the family, and her brother Thomas, who carries on the original farm and homestead.
Mrs. Lambert made her home with her parents until her marriage, which occurred when she was twenty-two years of age. Her husband was likewise a native of Yorkshire, where he was born in the year 1818. He was the son of Thomas Lambert, who emigrated to this country and settled in Scott County in the year 1834. In his youth, Edward Lambert learned the trade of a butcher, and upon coming to Jacksonville continued to follow the same. This he did until his death, which occurred in the year 1869. Their family circle included ten children, of whom only one son, Edward C., survives. This son received in marriage the daughter of the Rev. Dr. Short, of the Illinois Female College, and their home has been graced by the presence of two children, who bear the names Annie W. and Edward L.
Mr. Edward Lambert, Sr., was connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years. He was engaged in business as a butcher, and erected the fine structure that stands on the northwest corner of the public square, where he did business for several years. He was a man of large interest in the advancement of the city and county, and was at all times ready to help in any worthy enterprise. He settled with his wife in this district when Jacksonville was but a hamlet of no great pretensions, and together they watched with pride its rapid growth, its increased importance and wealth, and its high position in the rank of cities.
Mrs. Lambert has spent the greater part of her married life in this
city, and is well known therein. She is everywhere held in the highest
regard, as was also her husband. She has been attached to the Methodist
Church since her youth, and has been a member and regular communicant of
the same for nearly half a century. The present companion of her home if
Mrs. John Watson, the sister of her late husband, who has made her home
with her for about ten years.
LAFAYETTE LAMB, one of the many successful farmers and stock raisers of Morgan County, is a native of Clinton County, Ohio, and was born March 18, 1837. He is extensively engaged in feeding cattle and swine, selling about 200 head of the latter annually. Mr. Lamb, gives his entire attention to his business and is what may be termed a practical man.
Mr. Lamb came to this county in 1865 and purchased a farm. He later sold this place and in 1868 bought his present farm, which contains 300 acres, and where he has resided since. This farm is situated on section 17, township 15, and range 11. He also owns forty-seven acres in township 17 in this county, which is partly timber. Mr. Lamb has established an enviable record as a thorough business man and a progressive stock breeder.
Mr. Lamb's father, Erie Lamb, was a native of North Carolina, and his ancestors for generations lived in that State. The father of Erie L., John, lived and died in North Carolina, and was a prominent farmer and citizen. John Lamb was a patriot through the War of 1812. He married a Southern lady and she lived and died in North Carolina. Erie Lamb was the eldest one of a family of five sons and two daughters, and was reared as a farmer in his native State, and at the age of twenty-four years he emigrated to Clinton County, Ohio. His first wife was born and reared in Ohio and died in Clinton County, leaving two children: Isam, a farmer now living in Davis County, Iowa. He married Harriet Everhart and has a family. Sarah died at the age sixty-two years in Spring Valley, Ohio, leaving a husband, L. D. Jones. Erie Lamb took for his second wife, Miss Becky Pierson, who was born in Virginia, and whose parents, John and Hannah Pierson were also natives of the Old Dominion. Mr. and Mrs. Pierson came in later life to Greene County, Ohio, where they both died, he at the age of ninety years, while his wife was about sixty. Mr. Pierson was a soldier in the War of 1812, and served as a private from the beginning to the end of that struggle. Mrs. Becky Lamb was one of a family of six daughters and two sons. She came to Ohio from Virginia when quite young, and after her marriage with Erie Lamb, began life in Clinton County, Ohio, when it was almost an unbroken wilderness, and there they both lived and died. Mr. Lamb's death occurred in the year 1878, at the age of eighty-three years, while his wife died in 1865, after passing the three score and ten mark. This worthy couple belonged to the old orthodox Quakers, and died in that faith. Mr. Lamb, when the Whig party was alive, belonged to that organization, and afterward enthusiastically embraced the Republican faith.
Mr. Lafayette Lamb, inherited the Quaker religion from his maternal and paternal ancestry, and both his grandfathers were prominent people of that faith. He is the fourth child and the third son of a family of nine children. Mr. Lamb remained at home until he became of age, when he came West, and later enlisted at Jacksonville in 1862 in the 101st Ill. Infantry under Capt. Morse and Col. Fox. His regiment was in the army of the Tennessee and fought at Resaca, Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain and all through the Atlanta Campaign. Mr. Lamb sustains the reputation of being a brave soldier and was with his regiment in all its battles. He was wounded in the left arm at Lookout Mountain, and was confined in the hospital for a short time, but with this exception, was on duty during his entire service. He was honorably discharged at Springfield, Ill., on the 20th of June, 1865, since which time he has been actively engaged in farming.
Mr. Lamb was married on the 31st of Oct. 1865, at Jacksonville, Ill., to Mary J. Thompson, who si a native of that city, and was born December 6, 1846. She is a daughter of Alfred and Catherine (Broadhead) Thompson. Her father died near Jacksonville on Jan. 14, 1874, while in the prime of life, being about forty eight years of age. He was one of the early settlers of Morgan County, coming here when a boy from North Carolina. His wife survives him, and is now past three score years, and is making her home with her children near Jacksonville. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson were members of the Christian Church and were counted among the best citizens in their part of the State.
Mr. and Mrs. Lamb are now the parents of nine children, one of whom,
Lee, died at the age of ten months. Those living are: Erie, Alfred, Joseph,
Lafayette J., Mary J., George, John, and Emma. Mr. and Mrs. Lamb are members
of the Methodist Church and are leaders in religious work. Politically
Mr. Lamb is an enthusiastic Republican, and takes great interest in all
public affairs. He is a man of sound principles and possesses good judgment
as his success in life fully exemplifies.
WILLIAM J. LATHOM. On section 13, township 16, range 9 west, lies one of the fairest and best-tilled farms in this part of Morgan County, and its fortunate owner is the gentleman whose name is at the head of this biographical review. Said farm comprises 297½ acres of fertile land, well adapted to the needs of the stock-grower, in which pursuit our subject is chiefly engaged, and all the grain that it produces is fed to his fine herd of well graded cattle.
Mr. Lathom comes of Southern blood, and his ancestors figure as pioneers of Kentucky and Indiana. He is also a pioneer, as he came to this county in the days of '49 and cast in his lot with the early settlers of this township. For forty years he has been managing and constantly improving his present homestead, until with its substantial, conveniently-arranged frame buildings, and, indeed, in all its appointments it compares well with the best estates of this vicinity.
William Lathom, grandfather of our subject, born in 1769, is supposed to have been a native of Virginia, and was at all events married in the Old Dominion, Miss Nancy Norman becoming his wife. They removed to Kentucky in the early days of its settlement, and in 1807 they once more took up the march to a still more unsettled part of the country. Penetrating the forest primeval of the southwestern part of the Territory of Indiana to Gibson County, they identified themselves with its early pioneers, hewed a farm out of the heavily timbered land, and built up a comfortable home in which they spent their last days in peace and plenty, and amid its primitive surroundings reared their children to lives of usefulness. Their son, Ollie, was killed by the Indians in 1815, his cruel captors having stripped his clothes from his body and chopped him to pieces; James died when young.
Jonathan Lathom, the father of our subject, was the second son of these worthy people, and he was born in Kentucky in 1805, and was scarce two years of age when his parents took him to their new home in the wilderness of Southern Indiana. He grew to a strong and self-reliant manhood, and married, in 1827, and established a home of his own, Miss Elinor, daughter of James Brown, a pioneer of Indiana, who went there from North Carolina, becoming his wife. She was born in North Carolina, and was quite young when her parents removed to Indiana. Mr. Lathom was reared to the life of a farmer, and prosperously followed that calling on his homestead in Indiana, until he was gathered to his fathers in 1877. His wife died in 1879, in Morgan County. Four sons and six daughters were born to them, as follows: William J., James; two girls who died in infancy; Jonathan, Isephena, Sarah, George, Nancy and Richard.
Their son William was a bright, active lad, and on the old Indiana homestead where he had first seen the light of day he grew to man's estate. He early displayed the independence, push and foresight so necessary to success in any calling, and having adopted that to which he had been bred, having a clear, practical knowledge of it in all its branches, he determined to make his way to the broad open prairies of the part of Illinois embraced in Morgan County, actuated by the same pioneer spirit that had animated his sires before him, and in 1849 he came to this neighborhood and has ever since made his home here. The success that has met him in his endeavors to develop a farm from the wild prairies has been recorded, and he is now in comfortable circumstances. He has erected a commodious set of frame buildings, including a neatly painted, artistically styled frame house and a good roomy barn, and everything about the place is in good repair.
Mr. Lathom has been twice married. He was wedded in his early manhood to Miss Rhoda J., daughter of Isham Lynn. By this marriage he had the following eight children: Jonathan J., George R. (deceased); a child that died in infancy; Lydia A., now Mrs. Martin Robinson, of whom see sketch on another page of this volume; Samuel C., Stephen D., William N.; Hattie E., now Mrs. Charles Virgin (of whom see sketch on another page in this volume). Mrs. Lathom died in 1870, leaving to those who loved her the memory of a true and pleasant womanhood. Mr. Lathom later married Miss Jane, daughter of Isaac R. and Mary (Jones) Bennitt, and one son, Robert T., has blessed their union. Mrs. Lathom is a devoted member of the Baptist Church, and in every deed shows herself to be guided by high Christian Principles.
The citizenship of this community received a worthy recruit when
our subject came here to establish a home among its intelligent, industrious
people forty years ago, and neither by word or deed has he shown himself
unworthy of the confidence in which he is held by all. He interests himself
in the politics of his country, and is a stalwart Democrat.
GEORGE W. LAURIE. This gentleman is one of the few citizens in Morgan County who have lived on the same land nearly sixty years. Fifty-eight years ago his father, John Laurie, one of the early settlers of township 15, entered this land from the Government, on the last day of August, 1830, and here founded a new home far from the old one, which lay across the broad waters of the Atlantic. He became a man of much prominence in this community, and always worked for its highest good. His son, of whom we write, is a worthy descendant of his honored sire. Most of his life has been passed on this old homestead, and he is a sturdy representative of those who were reared to a stalwart, honest manhood, amid the pioneer scenes that prevailed in this county less than half a century ago. He has been closely identified with the agricultural interests of the township for many years, and is classed among its most substantial citizens. His farm, on sections 3 and 4, townships 15 and 16, range 10, comprises 285 acres of choice land, under fine cultivation and well improved.
The father of our subject was born Jan. 27, 1787, on the River Clyde, in Scotland, at a town called Bigger. When a young man he entered the office of the Craig Leith Quarry, near Edinburg, as clerk, and remained there for twenty years and became quite an accomplished man of business. IN 1830, when he was about forty-three years of age, he threw up his clerkship in that company in order to try life in the United States, and accompanied by his wife and four children that had been born to them in their Scottish home, he set sail on the ship Eliza, and after a voyage of eight weeks and two days landed in New York August 2.
Leaving his family in that city, and taking with him his eldest son, Mr. Laurie came to this State by the way of New Orleans and the Mississippi River, his family subsequently coming to join him here by way of the lakes and river. He found the country in a wild condition, sparsely settled, there being but a few families between there and Jacksonville, and it was all open prairie in the vicinity of that city. He entered the tract of land mentioned as being the present homestead of our subject, settled on it, and commenced its development into a farm. He broke nearly all of the land, put it under excellent cultivation, and made many needed improvements. But being a man of speculative turn of mind and active temperament, farming alone did not satisfy him, and he became interested in buying and selling land, and also engaged in the loan business. He took a prominent part in promoting the material prosperity of this township, and was active in securing educational and religious privileges. He was one of the first to start a school here, the head of each household paying a certain sum each day for each one of his children, and our subject can well remember the little log building that served the double purpose of a school-house and church.
The father of our subject died on the old homestead, Oct. 21, 1863, at a ripe old age, having lived to see the wonderful growth of Morgan County from the wild, scarcely inhabited condition in which he found it on that August day so many years before, to a wealthy and populous community, occupying a proud position among its sister counties, he having had an honorable share in bringing about the marvelous change. His wife, whose maiden name was Jemima Kirk, died the 8th of the following January, 1864, so that they who had lived in peace and harmony so many years were not long divided by death. She would have been seventy years of age the 26th of March, 1864.
The subject of this biographical review was born in New York City, and was an infant but eight months old when he was brought to his future home in Morgan County. Here he was bred to the honorable life of a farmer, gaining a good practical knowledge of the vocation in all its details, and has ever since prosperously pursued it. When he came to establish himself in life Mr. Laurie chose as a wife and helpmate Miss Mary J. Massey, who was born in Cass County, this State, just across the line from this township. Mr. and Mrs. Laurie's happy domestic life has proved the wisdom of his choice, and in their comfortable home six children have come to bless their union: Martha J., Mary J., Esther B., John H., Elizabeth M., and George W., all of whom are at home and have received fine educational advantages.
Mrs. Laurie's father, Henderson E. Massey, was born in Roanoke, Va., July 27, 1808, but in his boyhood he went to Tennessee to live. At the age of sixteen he made his way to Galena, Ill., was there at the time of the Black Hawk War, enlisted in the service, fought bravely, and had some close calls. He married Miss Martha Marshall, of Cass County, her father, who was of Scotch descent, having been an early settler of that county. She died March 29, 1874, aged fifty-eight years, leaving a family of twelve children. Mr. Massey was an early settler of Cass County.
Mr. Laurie's career in life as a man and a citizen is worthy of emulation.
In every relation that he has sustained toward others, as son, husband,
father, neighbor, he has shown himself to be guided by the highest and
holiest principles, and the many to whom he is known, unite in testifying
to his honorable character and unswerving integrity.
JOHN LEACH is a well-known agriculturist of Morgan County, and owns one of the most beautiful farms on the "Mound Road," three miles nearly due west from Jacksonville. The buildings on this farm are of the kind that exhibit the character of the owner. Everything about them denotes skill, intelligence and industry. Mr. Leach is one of the few men in this world who believes that the best is the cheapest. His farm is well stocked with good fattening grades of cattle, and he feeds a large number of cattle and hogs for the market. He also deals in mules and horses.
The home farm of our subject consists of 388 acres, every acre of which is in a high state of cultivation. He also owns 122 acres of good land in one farm, and another lot of 175 acres both highly improved. In another part of the township he has a 40 acre lot in grass, and besides all this land he is the owner of twenty acres of fine timber. In Scott County he also has a farm of 174 acres of well-improved land. Mr. Leach is a firm believer in the principle of underdraining land, and has several miles of tiling on his different farms. He thinks that money spent in this direction will bring large returns on the capital invested. Mr. Leach's homestead is an original purchase made by his father from the Government, the latter having entered, in 1829, a quarter-section of land, upon which his son's house now stands, and where he presided until his death at the age of eighty-six years. His name was John Leach, Sr., and he was born in Yorkshire, England, as were his father and mother.
John Leach, Sr., was reared as a farmer in his native country. He married Miss Ann Duckles, daughter of John Duckles. After the senior Leach was married he commenced farming, and so continued until he died. Three children were born to them: Mary, who died at Lynnville, after having been married twice; Sarah was married three times, and died in this county at the age of thirty-six years. The subject of this sketch is the youngest of the three that were born in England. His birth occurred March 25, 1823. In the spring of 1829, the father, mother and three children sailed from Liverpool on the ship "John Wells", and after a voyage of six weeks and two days landed at Philadelphia, whence they came by land and water to Morgan County. This country then being new, the family endured many hardships, so that Mr. and Mrs. Leach became nearly discouraged, and contemplated returning to their mother country. The clouds soon lifted, however, and everything was bright for them until they died. Mrs. Leach survived her husband for several years. She died about 1876, being nearly ninety years old, and in possession of her full faculties of mind and body up to the time she was called away. They were members of the English Church, and the senior Mr. Leach, politically, was a Whig.
After the father and mother of John Leach, Jr., came to this country they became the parents of one child, Eliza, who married Daniel White. She died at Oxville, Scott Co., Ill., leaving no children. The subject of this sketch grew to manhood at home, and was from the start a successful business man. He was married, in Morgan County, to Miss Mary Bealby, who was born in Lynnville, Ill., in 1835. Her father Samuel Bealby, was a native of England, whence he went to Jamaica, and operated a coffee plantation near Kingston. There he married, and soon after he emigrated to the United States, locating at Lynnville, Ill., and there lived until he died. Mrs. Leach's mother died at the age of thirty-four years, consequently she was left an orphan young in life. She is the mother of eleven children, two of whom, Ettie and Tillie, are deceased. The latter died when a promising young lady, Ettie was the wife of Stephen S. Knowles, of Jacksonville, and she died when in her twenty-sixth year; Georgianna, the wife of William Coultas, now deceased, is living on West State Street, Jacksonville; Eliza is the wife of Jud Boston, and they are living on a farm in Morgan County; John married Nellie Denby; Edward is unmarried, and engaged in farming in Scott County; Allie is a farm of Morgan County.
Mr. and Mrs. Leach are prominent factors in society, of the community
in which they live, and are universally respected for their qualities of
mind and heart. Mr. Leach is a reliable Republican, and has held numerous
local offices, which he has filled with his usual pains-taking manner.
THOMAS LEE, a son of one of the earliest pioneers of this county, has spent all his life within its limits, and is recognized as one of its most successful farmers and stock raisers. He has a beautiful homestead, finely improved, with a set of tasteful, modern buildings, and the machinery necessary for carrying on agriculture after the most approved methods. He is located on section 16, township 15, range 11.
Mr. Lee was born July 4, 1839, and is consequently approaching the fiftieth year of his age. His father, George Lee, was a native of Yorkshire, England, and the son of a Yorkshireman, who operated a small farm, and with his estimable wife spent his entire life on his native soil, both dying at an advance age. George Lee was one of the younger members of a family of ten children, and remained under the parental roof until a youth of seventeen years. Then he set sail for the United States and made his way directly to this county, where he commenced the battle of life for himself as a farm laborer. After his marriage he began operating land on his own account, first in this county, but later removed to Macoupin County, where he died at the age of seventy years.
The mother of our subject was, in her girlhood, Miss Mary Audas, a native of Yorkshire, and the daughter of John Audas, whose first wife, the mother of Miss Mary, died when the latter was a child of eight years. He was then married to a lady whose first name was Elizabeth, and soon afterward came with his family to America. They settled on eighty acres of land, which is now the property of our subject, Mr. Lee, and where Mr. and Mrs. Audas spent their last days, dying when quite well advanced in years. The mother of our subject also died on this farm, when only forty years of age, both she and her husband were members of the Methodist Church.
Our subject is the second child and eldest son of his parents, whose family comprised four sons and three daughters. One son and one daughter are now deceased. Thomas, our subject, like the others, was reared on the farm, and trained to habits of industry, while he obtained his education in the common school. He chose farming for his life occupation, and when ready to establish a fireside of his own was united in marriage with Miss Martha J. Hall. This lady, like her husband, is a native of this county, and was born Sept. 18, 1838. Her parents, William and Elizabeth Hall, are now deceased. They were among the pioneer settlers of this county, and lived to be quite aged. They were born and reared in Yorkshire, England, and crossed the Atlantic early in the thirties. They were active members of the Methodist Protestant Church, and were of that kindly and hospitable disposition which endeared them to all who knew them.
Mrs. Lee was reared to womanhood in the home of her parents, and
by her marriage with our subject became the mother of nine children, three
of whom, Sarah E., Ida and Nellie E., died when quite young. Mary, the
eldest daughter now living, is the wife of Thomas H. Eades, and they live
on a farm in Woodson County, Kan. Minnie I. Is the wife of Samuel I. Coultas,
and they reside in this county, on a farm near Lynnville. George W., Mattie
J., Clara E., and Eva L. are at home with their parents. Mr. Lee, politically,
supports the principles of the Republican party, and with his wife and
family belongs to the Methodist Protestant Church, in which he officiates
CHARLES K. LEE, of Naples, represents the firm of Keener & Pike, one of the largest firms dealing in grain in Scott County. Mr. Lee is a gentleman whom to meet once is not soon forgotten. He is of commanding presence, of fine address, intelligent, well informed, genial and companionable, a man making friends wherever he goes. He has seen much of life and made the most of his opportunities, becoming well informed upon the general topics of the day and possessing more than ordinary intelligence. He was thrown upon his own resources at an early period in his life and thus there were developed in him the best qualities of a self-reliant and vigorous manhood.
Our subject is a native of Scott County, having been born in Naples, June 26, 1848, and is the only child of Dr. Warren and Frances A. (Keener) Lee, both natives of Pennsylvania. Doctor Lee came to Scott County during its pioneer days and prior to his marriage, locating in the embryo town of Naples and in the course of a few years had built up a large and lucrative practice. The paternal grandfather Hon. Charles F. Keener was born in the city of Baltimore, Md., where he was engaged in merchandising, milling and farming prior to his removal to Pennsylvania. He was a well-educated man, a graduate of Dickinson college at Carlisle, Pa. After settling in Adams County, Pa., he served as Justice of the Peace many years and also officiated as Postmaster. He accumulated a large property and owned the Keener Mills where manufactured both lumber and flour.
Grandfather Keener in 1838 disposed of his interest in the Keystone State and coming to Scott County took charge of the Keener Mills, Kilmarnock, Scott Co., Ill., which he operated four years and then established himself at Naples. In the East he had been a captain of militia. In addition to his milling operations in Naples he also conducted a hotel and besides holding many other positions of trust and responsibility, was made a member of the State Legislature in which he served two terms. He also represented the Etna Insurance Company for a number of years. Politically, he was a stanch Democrat and in religious matters a member of the Episcopal Church. He traced his ancestry to Germany. His wife, Frances (Heming) Keener was a native of Shippensburg, Pa., and the daughter of Charles Heming. The latter was a gentleman of English birth and parentage and after coming to America settled in Pennsylvania where he spent the remainder of his life. The mother of our subject died at Naples, Scott County, in 1851; she like her father was a member of the Episcopal Church.
The subject of our sketch being orphaned when little more than a babe was reared by his maternal grandparents and given a common school education. Later he spent six months at the Commercial College at St. Louis, Mo.
When but a youth of sixteen years young Lee enlisted as a Union soldier in Company C, 116th Illinois Infantry which rallied at Camp Butler and after being mustered into service he went South with his comrades and joined Sherman's Army at Atlanta. Thence they made the memorable march to the sea, skirmishing all the way to Savannah. The story of that campaign is too well known to need repetition here. Suffice it to say that private Lee endured bravely the hardships and privations incident to army life. He, fortunately, escaped wounds and capture and went with his regiment up through the Carolinas to the city of Washington and took part in the Grand Review. He was mustered out and received his honorable discharge at Springfield, Ill., in July, 1865.
Our subject now repairing to St. Louis engaged as clerk on different boats plying the Illinois, Missouri and Mississippi rivers, and he followed that occupation until 1870. The year following, Nov. 1, 1871, he was married at Naples, to Miss Fanny E. Critzer. Mrs. Lee was born in Naples, September 1851, and is the daughter of Peter D. Critzer, one of the earlier settlers of Scott County who engaged in general merchandising at Naples and also operated the ferry. In 1879 he removed to Geneva, Ohio, where he now lives retired from active business. The maiden name of his wife was Matilda A. Lodwick.
Mr. Lee in June of 1871 established himself at Winchester where he was made Teller and Assistant Cashier of the People's Bank. He retained this position until 1880 and then accepted that which he now holds and resumed his residence in Naples. His firm ships extensively, both by river and rail, and the responsible position which Mr. Lee is holding is sufficiently indicative of the estimation in which he is held.
Our subject and his estimable wife are the parents of two children,
Minnie F. and Carrie F. Mr. Lee votes the straight Democratic ticket, is
a Trustee of the city School Board and has served as County commissioner.
Mrs. Lee is a member of the Episcopal Church.
County main page