PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
DR. A. H. KELLOGG, one of the older resident physicians and surgeons of Jacksonville, has attained to more than his threescore and ten years, having been born Sept. 3, 1811, in Hampshire County, Mass. His boyhood and youth were spent mostly upon a farm although at an early age he began clerking for a wholesale house in Cleveland, Ohio. He acquired his early education in the schools of his native county, and later attended Amherst College in Massachusetts. He commenced the study of dentistry when a young man twenty-four years of age, and practiced several years in Ohio. Five years later he took up the study of medicine in Pickaway County, that State, and subsequently attended medical lectures in the Western Reserve College at Cleveland. He was admitted to practice in 1849.
From the Buckeye State Dr. Kellogg migrated across the Mississippi into Ashley, Pike Co., Mo., where he followed his profession until 1861. Early in that year the outbreak of the Rebellion furnished him unlooked for employment and he entered the army as Assistant Surgeon in the 8th Missouri Infantry. Afterward he was sent to Benton Barracks at St. Louis and from there to Mound City Hospital, in the vicinity of Cairo, where he remained three years. In the meantime he performed various other duties, gaining a rich experience in the details incident to army life.
At the close of the war Dr. Kellogg located in Jacksonville, and since that time has been in active practice at this point and vicinity. He has been for many years the attendant physician of the Deaf and Dumb Asylum and is a member of the Morgan County Medical Society.
The subject of this sketch is the son of Giles C. and Eunice P. (Cottrel) Kellogg, natives of the Bay State. The paternal grandfather, William Kellogg, was also a native of Massachusetts, and of Scotch descent. On the maternal side of the house, grandfather Nicholas Cottrel, came directly from the Highlands of Scotland, crossing the Atlantic with his parents at an early age, and settling with them in Worthington, Mass. Both the grandfathers did good service in the Revolutionary War.
Giles C. Kellogg, the father of our subject, was reared to farm pursuits, and left his native New England in 1832, settling on the Western Reserve in Ohio, about twelve miles from the city of Cleveland, where he became an extensive farmer. He reared a family of seven sons and two daughters of whom five are still living. Of these our subject is the eldest and was the second-born of the family. The sons became prominent men, holding positions of trust and responsibility in their several communities, the eldest brother, Frank, being a member of Congress several terms, representing a Michigan district. Giles C. in early manhood was Jeffersonian Democrat. Later he felt that he had reason to change his opinions and allied himself with the opposition, the old Whig party. After its abandonment by the organization of the Republicans, he affiliated with the latter and remained in accord with them until his death. He spent his last years on the farm near Cleveland, Ohio. Both he and the devoted mother were members in good standing of the Congregational Church. The mother died about 1863.
Miss Martha A. Holmes of Pickaway County, Ohio, became the wife of
our subject, Aug. 20, 1839, and of this union there was born three children,
one of whom died Oct. 2, 1863. The survivors are James H., a practicing
attorney of this city, and Mary E., Mrs. Stillson, of Sandusky County,
Ohio. Mrs. Martha A. Kellogg departed this life at her home in Ashley,
Mo., May 1, 1861. Dr. Kellogg was subsequently married, in September, 1862,
to Miss Martha J. Orr, who at that time was a resident of Pike County,
Mo. She was a daughter of Judge Phillip and Lucy (Draper) Orr, who were
natives of Tennessee, and are now deceased. Politically, Dr. Kellogg votes
the Republican ticket, and with his estimable wife is a member in good
standing of the Presbyterian Church. Their home is pleasantly located at
No. 232 South East Street. Our subject is also a member of the Masonic
fraternity. His practice has extended nearly all over this county where
he is widely and favorably known.
MICHAEL KENNEDY, late of township 15, range 11, this county, was born near Geory, in County Wexford, Ireland, in June, 1824, and departed this life at his home in township 15, range 11, Feb. 3, 1888. He was a man widely and favorably known throughout his community, successful as a farmer, upright as a business man, and one who contributed his full share to the enterprises calculated for the best good of the people around him. The homestead which he built up on section 3, stands as a monument to his thrift and industry. It was a wild unbroken tract of land when he purchased it, in September, 1864, and by the exercise of persevering industry he constructed from it one of the most comfortable homes in the Precinct. Later he purchased a farm on section 3, in the same township, which is partially improved.
Mr. Kennedy came to this county in 1848, one year after landing in the United States. He commenced life here as a farm laborer, being without other means or resources than his stout muscles and resolute will. In due time he began operating upon rented land, until having saved enough to purchase eighty acres in the southeast part of the county. This he sold later and moved to a move congenial neighborhood, and at the time of his death left his children sufficient to insure them against want.
Of pure Irish stock, our subject was the son of Thomas Kennedy, a farmer of County Wexford, and who spent his entire life upon his native soil, living to the age of about threescore years. He had been reared in the faith of the Catholic Church, in which he carefully trained his children, and to which his son Michael adhered until the time of his death. He was married in early manhood to Julia Dun, a native also of County Wexford, and who came of a very excellent family. She also was a life-long Catholic, and died in Ireland at the age of sixty-five years. To her and her husband there were born six children, all of whom lived to mature years and acquired a good education, especially Michael, who was ambitious to learn, and possessed more than ordinary intelligence. Michael Kennedy was the second son and child in a family of four sons and two daughters, the latter of whom remained in their own country. Bessie died soon after marriage; Maria, Mrs. Kingsley, was a resident of Clydesdale, Scotland, and died March 22, 1889; the youngest son, James, died in Ireland at the age of twenty years; Patrick died shortly after landing in the United States, in St. Louis, Mo., leaving a wife; Thomas is a single man, and residing near Iron Wood, Mich.
Our subject after completing his education learned the trade of a tanner, in his native country, but had not worked at this very long when he conceived the idea of emigrating to America. He started out on the 2d of April, 1848, crossed the Channel, and took passage at Liverpool on a sailing vessel, which, after a pleasant voyage of six weeks and four days, landed him safely in New Orleans. He lived there and in St. Louis and vicinity until the spring of 1849. He then made his way to this county, where, after a number of years, he was married, in 1856, to Miss Anna Rogers.
Mrs. Kennedy was born near Rosscommon, in County Rosscommon, Ireland,
where she was reared to womanhood and given a good education. She came
to the United States with some friends of her parents, and for a time sojourned
in Boston, Mass. Later she came to this county, and not long afterward
was married to Mr. Kennedy. She departed this life at the homestead, in
1873, at the early age of thirty-five years. Of her union with Mr. Kennedy
there had been born six children, three of whom are deceased: Julia A.,
who died at the age of twelve years; Maria died in infancy; Patrick S.,
who died at the age of eight years; Thomas L., a farmer by occupation,
is operating his own land, which he is rapidly bringing to a good state
of cultivation, and effecting good improvements; Mary C., a very intelligent
young woman, is keeping house for her brothers; James F. makes his home
with his brothers and sisters. They have all been well educated, and the
boys, politically, affiliate with the Democratic party. The family is well
known throughout this part of the county, and is held in universal respect.
JAMES KERSHAW, a retired farmer of section 28, township 16, range 11, has been a resident of this county since coming to the United States in the early part of 1839. He was born at Holden, Lancashire, England, Oct. 29, 1814, and came of pure English stock. His father, Robert Kershaw, also of English birth and parentage, was a cotton spinner, and was married in his native town of Holden to Miss Bettie Chadwick. They became the parents of four children - James, Albert, Robert, Jr., and Thomas, and, on the 27th of January, 1839, set out with their little family for America. They made the voyage on the sailing-vessel "Lucia," and landed in New Orleans on the 26th of March following.
From the Crescent City a part of the Kershaw family came up the Mississippi to the Illinois River, and thence to Beardstown, landing there on the 7th of April. Upon this boat was transported the first engine ever brought to Illinois, landing at Meredosia. It was to do duty on the road running through the embryo city of Jacksonville on flat bars laid on sleepers. A part of the family had been left in New Orleans on account of a scarcity of funds, only James and his father coming to Illinois at that time. Their first business was to seek employment, and they began working on the new railroad with such good results that they sent for the mother and the three other sons to join them, which the did on the 4th of July following.
The elder Kershaw in due time purchased a tract of land, including that which his son now occupies, and here he and his excellent wife spent the remainder of their days, living to be past threescore years and ten. They are remembered as worthy and honest people, and were respected by all their neighbors. Their children are all living, married, and have families of their own. James, our subject, found his bride in this county - Miss Martha Hursey, a native of his own shire in England, and born Jan. 5, 1822. She was the daughter of the Rev. James and Sarah (Nelley) Hursey, the father born Jan. 17, 1798, and by occupation a gardener and a preacher combined. The mother was a cotton spinner. The family emigrated from England to America early in 1838, sailing from Liverpool and landing in New Orleans, and thence coming to Beardstown by boat and overland to this county. Mr. Hursey afterward continued farming and preaching until his death, Aug. 5, 1877, which occurred when he was seventy nine and a half years old. His wife died June 25, 1870, at the age of eighty-two years, having been born Feb. 10, 1788. Both were members of the Methodist Protestant Church. Mrs. Kershaw is the only surviving child.
Twelve children came to bless the union of our subject and his wife,
six of whom are deceased, namely: Luther, Betty, Mary A., Jane, Becky,
and an infant unnamed. The survivors are Joseph, Robert, Hannah, Ellen,
Nettie, and John. Mr. and Mrs. Kershaw are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church at Concord, and our subject, politically, is a sound Republican.
THOMAS KERSHAW. The Kershaw family comprises one of the old landmarks of this county, to which the father came early in the forties and secured 400 acres of land in township 16, range 11, a part of which, to the extent of 154 acres, is occupied by the subject of this sketch, and lies on sections 27 and 28. The land is rolling, and upon it is situated the well-known Duncan Sulphur Spring, which was discovered, in 1839, by Ex-Gov. Duncan, who then owned the land. The spring, however, has been chiefly developed by the Kershaws, and possesses valuable medicinal properties, as has been demonstrated by William L. Dudley, of Cincinnati, Ohio, who has made a thorough examination, and recommends it for various ailments. Many people who have drunk of the waters have sent strong testimonials as to the virtues of this wonderful spring, which, had it not been for the death of Gov. Duncan, would doubtless have become a favorite health resort.
The subject of this notice was born in the town of Oldham, Lancashire, England, Feb. 25, 1835, and is of pure English stock. His father, Robert Kershaw, was a native of the same place, where he learned the art of spinning cotton and married Miss Bettie Chadwick, who was also born and reared in Lancashire, and who became the mother of four sons, all of whom came to America, and of whom our subject was the youngest. A further history of the family will be found in the biography of James Kershaw on another page of this volume. On coming to the United States they set sail from Liverpool, landed in New Orleans, and later came up the Mississippi River to this county. The family was first represented here by the father and his eldest son James, the others being obliged to remain in New Orleans on account of the scarcity of funds. After the father and son had made sufficient money, they sent for the mother and the three younger sons, who landed in this county July 4, 1839.
The father of our subject and his sons made some money by working at whatever they could find to do, and, after the death of Gov. Duncan, the father purchases 400 acres of his landed possessions. He was successful in his labors as a tiller of the soil, and both parents lived many years on the homestead which they had built up, enjoying the comforts of life together with the esteem of their neighbors. Thomas, our subject, was the youngest of the family, and remained with his parents until they no more needed his filial services. When about twenty-four years of age he was married to Miss Sophia Wood, of Jacksonville, and a native of his own county in England. She was born in 1844, and is the daughter of Ammon and Bettie (Buckley) Wood, natives of England, where all but one of their twelve children were also born, and of whom Mrs. Kershaw was among the youngest. They came to America in 1845, and settled in the then little town of Jacksonville, where Mr. and Mrs. Wood spent the remainder of their lives; the father dying at the age of seventy-two years, and the mother in middle life, when her daughter, Mrs. Kershaw, was only twelve years old. Both parents were members of the Church of England. Two brothers of Mrs. Kershaw, John and Benjamin, are residents of Jacksonville. The other children of that large family are deceased.
To Mr. and Mrs. Kershaw there were born two children only, both of
whom died young - Albert and an infant unnamed. Mr. Kershaw, politically,
uniformly supports the Democratic ticket, and keeps himself well posted
in regard to matters of general importance, although he has no desire to
assume the responsibilities of office. They have a very pleasant home,
and number their friends by the score in this county.
SAMUEL KILLAM. After a busy life, and the battle against the world has been won, it is pleasurable to see the winner retire and take his ease, and such is the case of Samuel Killam. His fine farm is situated on section 27, township 15, range 11, where he has lived since his father first purchased the land from the Government in 1829. Here the subject of this sketch has passed most of his life in active work as a general farmer and stock-raiser. At one time he was the owner of about a half-section of land, but he has given away the most of it to his children, only retaining ninety-six acres as a homestead, which is known as the Killam Mound Farm. This place is situated on an eminence, and overlooks the city of Jacksonville, four miles away. Mr. Killam has always been regarded as one of the substantial and intelligent farmers of this county, and he has sustained that reputation admirably.
Mr. Killam is a native of Yorkshire, England, and was born at Sackhouse, Dec. 8, 1808. He is the son of John Killam, and the grandson of Samuel Killam, who died when about sixty years of age. The latter married Ann West, who died at the age of sixty-two years. The Killams in those days, were members of the old English Church. John Killam, father of the one whose name heads this sketch, grew up in his native shire, and in his younger days followed mechanical pursuits, being a general mechanic and millwright. He was married in Yorkshire, to Elizabeth Parsley, and to her was born four sons and one daughter, all of whom came to America with their parents. They embarked at Hull, on April 14, 1829, on the vessel "Trenton", and after a voyage of seven weeks and four days, which was somewhat tempestuous, they landed at Quebec. This country then possessed but few railroads, so the journey from Quebec to Illinois was a tedious one, but they finally reached Morgan County, July 21, 1829. Very soon after their arrival the family located on land which is now occupied by Samuel Killam. John Killam at one time owned a large tract of land in this county, and became comfortably well-off. Here he made his home until he died in 1845, at the age of sixty-three years. He was an industrious and ambitious man, and enjoyed a good reputation among his neighbors. In person he was an athlete, and was capable of performing a great deal of hard work, which was one of the essential qualifications of a farmer in the early days of Illinois. Politically, he acted with the Whig party. His wife, and the mother of Samuel, passed away about six years after his death, at the age of seventy-four years.
Samuel Killam, of whom this sketch is written, was the second of a family of five children, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, and were married, and Samuel is the only one now living. He grew up to be of age before he left England, and with his natural mechanical ability, he there soon mastered the trade followed by his father, that of a millwright. After his arrival in this country, he pursued his trade, and so continued for seven or eight years, and his reputation as a mechanic in this part of Illinois, is of the highest. He was married in Morgan County, to Miss Margaret Haxby, who was a native of Yorkshire, England, and was born Feb. 10, 1819. She was the youngest daughter of six children born to William and Ann (Brewis) Haxby, also natives of Yorkshire. William Haxby was the son of William Haxby, Sr., a farmer who lived and died in Yorkshire, his death occurring in 1797. He was then in the prime of life, and had married a Yorkshire lady by the name of Minnie Willis, who survived her husband for sometime. They lived on a farm which they owned, being very well-to-do people. The Haxbys were all members of the English Church. William H., the father of Mrs. Killam, was one of three children born to his parents. He was a farmer, and spent the early portion of his life at this vocation in his native land, where he married, and became the father of three sons and five daughters. On May 7th, 1834, this family took passage on the "Victoria," at Whitby, and started for America, and after a voyage of five weeks and five days, landed at Quebec. They at once came to what is now Winchester, Scott Co., Ill., where they located on a farm, and lived for nine years, until 1843, when Mr. Haxby, with his wife and family, changed locations by going to Greene County, Ill., and settling on a farm near Whitehall. In the next year, 1844, Mrs. Haxby died, after which her husband lived with his children until his death, which occurred at Mrs. Killam's, Dec. 1st, 1867, at the age of seventy-five years. He was always closely connected with the English Church, and was a strong believer of the old Whig party.
Of the family of nine children born to the parents of Mrs. Killam,
she is one of the younger, and of whom four are living: Elizabeth, widow
of Daniel Avery, who now lives at Whitehall, Ill.; William is a resident
of Plattville, Colo., and is a drug and hardware merchant; he married Elizabeth
Rowen; Thomas took to wife, Mary Evans, and lives in Rapid City, Dak.,
on a ranch.
JOHN KILLIAM. It is the province of the biographer to correctly chronicle the history of persons who have passed away, and to record their virtues, that the living may profit thereby, and in the present instance it may be said that John Killiam died, leaving behind him a name that is the synonym for all the virtues that cluster around a man who made his mark in the world, unaided and alone. The younger men and women that are now on the stage of life can have no better pattern by which to form their characters than that of John Killiam.
Mr. Killiam died at his home in township 15, range 11, on the 11th day of August, 1885, at the age of seventy-five years. He was born in Yorkshire, England, and came to America with his father, Samuel Killiam, whose biography is given in another part of this volume. He was a resident of Illinois from the time he arrived in this country until his death, and of Morgan County, with the exception of six years that he resided in Woodford County. Mr. Killiam sustained a reputation of being a thrifty farmer and stock raiser. His industry and intelligence aided him in building up a beautiful home and in improving a farm that is a model of hie husbandman's skill. He was married, in this county, June 25, 1839, to Miss Phyllis Jordan. She was born in the city of Derby, England, April 11, 1804. She came of English ancestry, having been the daughter of Harvey and Susannah (Rowlston) Jordan, now both deceased. Her mother died in Detroit, Mich., while the family was on their way to Illinois from England. This occurred in 1836; and her burial place is in Detroit. She was fifty-four years old when she died, and belonged to the Methodist Church. The father of Mrs. Killiam, Harvey Jordan, died in Morgan County, at the home of his daughter, in 1853, at the age of seventy six years. He died in the Episcopal faith. To him and his wife were born three children, Mrs. Killiam being the eldest. Her only sister is living in San Francisco, Cal. She is the widow of John Spencer. Mrs. Killiam's only brother, William Jordan, died in Missouri, at the age of seventy years.
Harvey Jordan, the father of Mrs. Killiam, concluded to emigrate to America, and accordingly he embarked at Liverpool, England, and landing at Ne York, he there made up his mind to seek land in Illinois, and while enroute his wife died at Detroit, as before indicated. Here he lived in Morgan County continuously for many years.
Mrs. Killiam is now living on the old homestead, spending her last
days quietly. She is the mother of no children, but she and her husband
have been the foster parents of four children: Elizabeth Mawson, wife of
Robert Heinbrough; they are farmers near Jacksonville. Louisa nee DeSollar,
wife of Robert Davidson, is living in Wapello County, Iowa. William DeSollar
married Sedarah Bobbitt, and they are living on Mrs. Killiam's farm. Ann
Killiam married John Ranson; they are living on a farm near Jacksonville.
It will thus be seen that Mr. and Mrs. Killiam were possessed of charitable
characteristics, and that in rearing to manhood and womanhood homeless
children, they are entitled to be called philanthropists. Mrs. Killiam
is a member of the Methodist Church, having lived in that faith for many
COL. THOMAS M. KILPATRICK, deceased, met his death on the battlefield of Shiloh during the late war, and was one of those few of whom it may truthfully be said, "none knew him to love him; none named him but to praise." He was born in Crawford County, Pa., Oct. 30, 1807, and when approaching man's estate, went to Columbus, Ohio, where later - March 22, 1829 - he was united in marriage with Miss Catharine Sells. Three years afterward, in the spring of 1833, they came to Scott County, and settling in Winchester when it was little more than a hamlet. Mr. Kilpatrick established a pottery factory which he conducted until 1849.
In the spring of the year above mentioned our subject returned to Columbus, Ohio, visiting there two months. Returning to Illinois, he re-engaged in the pottery business, and was soon recognized as one of the most valued citizens of this community - a man of more than ordinary capacities and intelligence. After occupying other positions of trusts and responsibility, he was elected to the Lower House of the Legislature, in which he served one term, and later was elected to the Senate, in which he served one tern. Subsequently he became the candidate of the Whig party for Governor, and was defeated by Augustus C. French. He assisted in the organization of Scott County, and at all times was distinguished by that public spiritedness and liberality which was ever willing to lay aside personal plans and interests whenever he could be of service to the people.
Upon the outbreak of the late war, our subject enlisted in Company E, 28th Illinois Infantry, of which he was elected Captain, and subsequently given the commission of Colonel. He was in command of the regiment, acting as General at the time of being killed. In politics he was at first a Whig, later a Republican, and in religious matters a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Both in his public and private life he was distinguished for that kindness of heart which prompted him ever to respond to the call of distress, and he was most essentially the poor man's friend from which none were ever turned away empty. His remains fill a soldier's grave in the cemetery at Winchester, and his name is held in kindly remembrance by all who knew him.
To Colonel and Mrs. Kilpatrick there were born eight children, only
one of whom is living, namely: Mattie I., the wife of Judson Dayen, of
San Francisco, Cal. Mrs. Kilpatrick has three grandchildren - Ella (Dayen)
Overacker, Viola Clemmons and Lovey (McPherson) Barb, wife of Angelo B.
Barb, of Winchester; the latter has one child - Burrell. Burrell McPherson,
the father of Mrs. Barb, served as a soldier in the late war with Col.
Kilpatrick as Second Lieutenant, and was afterwards promoted to First Lieutenant.
He went all through the war, and escaped unharmed, never receiving a scratch.
He is familiarly known as "Uncle Joe," and is now living in Gold
Hill, Col., where he owns mining property.
HENRY KITNER is a pioneer of Morgan County, who came to these parts more than fifty years ago, and has lived not only to witness its wonderful development from the wild, sparsely settled prairies, but, while aiding its growth and advancing its agricultural interests, he has accumulated wealth for himself, and is now one of the most prosperous farmers and stock-raisers in this section. He owns a large and beautiful farm of 480 acres on section 34, township 15, range 10, one of the finest and most valuable in many respects of any in this locality. He still has it under his personal supervision, and is actively engaged in general farming and stock raising.
Mr. Kitner was born March 26, 1818, in North Carolina, and that State was likewise the birthplace of his father, Francis Kitner, who was born near Salem, and there grew to maturity. On reaching man's estate he (the father) Married Mary Fiddler; and they reared a family of seven children. In 1838 he resolved to leave the old home and found a new one in the Est, and started for the Territory of Iowa with a four-horse team, taking with that all his family except our subject, who had a two-horse wagon of his own, in which all the household utensils, restricted to only those things that were absolutely necessary, were conveyed. When the weary travelers finally arrived in this part of the country within three miles of Jacksonville, they were so enchanted by the beautiful scenery, and the evident fertility of te soil, that they concluded to make their abiding place here and not seek further and perhaps fare worse. Mr. Kitner, Sr., took up a tract of 120 acres of land north of Jacksonville, all of which he improved in time into a valuable farm. He at first built a little log house for the shelter of his family, and afterward added to it a small frame house. He continued to live on that farm until his death at the age of sixty years, his wife preceding him to the other shore seven or eight years. He was one of the early settlers of the county, and while he lived here was a good, law-abiding citizen, and did all in his power to advance its material prosperity and to elevate its social and moral status, and his memory should be held in veneration with the other pioneers of the county.
The son of this worthy man of whom we write was twenty years old, just entering upon a vigorous, self-reliant manhood, when he came with his parents to Morgan County. He bought a piece of land north of Jacksonville, and his first work was to build a log house, which he covered with clapboards, and in that humble dwelling he and his young wife spent the ensuing fourteen years. He then sold that place and bought his present farm, where they have resides ever since. In 1871 our subject erected a fine roomy house, facing the village, and he and his family moved into it on its completion and still make it their home. When Mr. Kitner first came to Morgan County the country was so sparsely settled that the most accessible markets were far distant, and he and his father had to take their first produce to St. Louis, going by the way of the river, and many times after that they drove hogs and cattle to that city, where they obtained from $1.25 to $2.00 a hundred wight for them, and thus our subject laid the foundation of his present competence.
The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Kitner was solemnized in North Carolina, their native State, in February, 1837, and of the nine children born to them six are living, of whom the following is recorded: Elizabeth married Isaac Kaufman, a farmer of this county, and they have six children; Frank, who lives in the southern part of the county, married Jane Harney, and they have four girls; Mary married Frank Harney, who lives one mile west of her father's homestead, and they have three children; Jefferson, who lives on this road one-fourth of a mile west, married Frances Massey; William, who lives in the southern part of this county, married Lou Tunnel, and they have three children; Edward, who lives on his father's homestead, married Mollie Letton, and they have one daughter, Bessie Marie. Mrs. Kitner's maiden name was Mahala Crouse, and she was born in North Carolina July 26, 1815, and lived at home with her parents, Andrew and Peggy (Alford) Crouse, until her marriage. Her father was a farmer in North Carolina.
Mr. Kitner is in every way worthy of the high regard and veneration
that is conceded to him, and it gives us pleasure to present this brief
review of his well-spent life to his many friends. His course in life both
as a man and a citizen has been honorable to him, showing as it does his
persistent industry, guided by discrimination and sound common sense, and
his manifest desire to promote the interests of his community to the best
of his ability. The wife to whom he was united in marriage, almost before
he had reached man's estate, and who has faithfully shared with him life's
joys and sorrows for fifty-two years, is, for her many kindly qualities
of head and heart, equally esteemed with her good husband by their neighbors
and all who know her. Mr. Kitner avoids all political issues, not caring
for office, but does his duty at the polls, casting his vote for the Democratic
SEBASTIAN KUMLE, the owner of 520 broad acres of land, usually may be found at his homestead in township 15, range 8, where his interests have centered for many years. He may be most properly termed a self-made man, having worked his way up from a modest beginning to a good position socially and financially. From his substantial German ancestry he inherited the qualities requisite to the formation of an honest man and a good citizen, and is thus regarded most unquestionably by all who know him.
A native of his Grand Duchy of Baden, Germany, our subject was born Jan. 20, 1830, and lived there until a young man of twenty years, receiving a good education in his native tongue, and becoming familiar with agricultural pursuits. He was always thoughtful beyond his years, and saw little in his own country to encourage him in carrying out his ambition for the future. He finally decided to emigrate to America, and shipping from the port of Bremen landed in New York City after a safe voyage on a sailing vessel.
Soon thereafter, leaving the metropolis, young Kumle proceeded southwestward across the Mississippi to St. Louis, Mo., where he sojourned two years. Thence he came to this county from Jacksonville, went into the country, and found employment as a farm laborer. He was thus occupied one year, and the next rented a tract of land and commenced farming on his own account. The next important event in his life was his marriage, in 1852, with Miss Gertrude K. Rushe, a native of his own country, who emigrated to America with her brother in July, 1850.
Mr. Kumle operated as a renter until 1863, and in the meantime had accumulated sufficient money to purchase 140 acres of land. This was mostly under cultivation, but there were no buildings upon it. He put up a house and barn and gradually added the other buildings necessary for his convenience. Later he purchased 185 acres, which constitutes the present homestead. It will thus be seen that he was prospered from the beginning. He always made it a rule to live within his income, and was prompt in meeting his obligations. In addition to general agriculture, he raises in large numbers cattle, horses and swine, making a specialty of the latter and of Norman trotting and saddle horses. In this industry he has been particularly successful, achieving an enviable reputation.
To our subject and his estimable wife there have been born five children, the eldest of whom, a son, Joseph, is a well-to-do farmer and stock-raiser; he married Miss Mary Dayton, and they have three children - Fred, William and John. A. L. married Miss Ella Coultas, is a farmer by occupation, and the father of two children, a son, Harry, and a babe unnamed; William F. and John Emil remain at home with their parents; Mary is the wife of Hardman Seller, a native of Germany, who crossed the Atlantic when fifteen years old, and is carrying on farming in this county; they have five children - Gertrude, Kate, Mary, Ann E., and Joseph.
Mr. Kumle, with his family, belongs to the Catholic Church. In politics
he votes independently, aiming to support the principles and not men. It
certainly should be a matter of pride to Mr. Kumle and his family that
their surroundings are so pleasant as to elicit praise from passers-by.
To an equal extent will the view of their home, given in this volume, attract
the admiration of many readers.
County main page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their