PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
COLUMBUS HAIRGROVE, who during his younger years was engaged first as a carpenter and builder and later as a farmer, is now living retired from active labor in the city of Jacksonville surrounded by all the comforts of life, the result of his early enterprise and industry. A native of the State of Georgia, he was born in Troup County, April 29, 1828, and went with his parents to Aberdeen, Miss., where he was reared to farm pursuits and acquired a common-school education. When a young man of twenty-two years he started out in life for himself, being equipped with a good knowledge of the trades of carpenter and millwright. He secured employment at the former until after the outbreak of the Rebellion and then enlisted on the 6th of August, 1862, in Company D, 101st Illinois Infantry as a private and served two years and ten months.
The army experience of Mr. Hairgrove was largely as a sharpshooter on the gunboats Cricket and Rattler. While on the former going up the Little Red River, he happened to be standing about one foot from the port hole of the vessel, when a twenty-four pound cannon was discharged and from that moment the hearing departed from his left ear and has never been recovered. His father was in the service one year, joining his five sons in conflict with the enemies of the Union. With the exception of Columbus and his brother, John A., they came out of the service unharmed. John was wounded in the leg but not seriously.
During the border war the father of our subject was shot in the lungs in Lane County, Ky., in the year 1858. He was wounded in the lungs and back while his son at the same time was shot in the face and hands. They were left for dead, having lain as still as they could under the circumstances. The Rebels coming along turned both men over, the latter in the meantime keeping perfectly quiet and appearing as if dead. With a remark that they "were dead as hell" their foes departed and the victims thus made their escape.
While at Holly Springs, Miss., our subject was taken prisoner and was at once exchanged and ordered to Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis. He was subsequently shot on the side of the head while on a transport going down Red River. He was shot in the thigh at the battle of Dallas and was mustered out as Corporal in consequence of wounds.
Upon his honorable discharge in the city of Washington, D.C., Mr. Hairgrove returned to this State and engaged in farming near Woodson, south of Jacksonville. He cultivated a tract of 120 acres until the Spring of 1877, then selling out retired from active labor and purchased the home which he now occupies at No. 308 East Morgan Street.
The parents of our subject were William and Sarah (Johnson) Hairgrove, the father a native of South Carolina and the mother of North Carolina. The former was a millwright and farmer combined and upon his removal to Aberdeen, Miss., cultivated a tract of land for a period of fourteen years. Thence he came to Illinois and lived in Morgan County until 1847. Then moving across the Mississippi into Lynn County, Kan., he followed farming there until his death, which occurred the 12th of March, 1872. The mother passed away about 1879. Their family consisted of eleven children, of whom the following are living: George, Columbus, John, William J., Frances M. and Henry C.
Columbus Hairgrove was married in Morgan County, March 6, 1853 to Mrs. Rose A. Whitlock a native of, Adair County, Ky., and the daughter of John and Mary (Shepherd) Whitlock. The parents of Mrs. Hairgrove were natives respectively of Virginia and North Carolina. The father was a farmer by occupation and spent the greater part of his life in Morgan County. He died about 1871. The mother is still living at the age of ninety years and makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Hairgrove.
The wife of our subject was born March 30, 1827, and was first married
to Hugh Whitlock 28th of October 1844. Of her marriage with Mr. H. there
were born two children - Mary J. and Dr. John W., a practicing physician
of Waverly. Mr. Hairgrove has meddled very little with political affairs,
but by reading keeps himself well posted upon current events and some time
ago, publicly announced himself by his vote as being in sympathy with the
Greenback party. While living on his farm he was a School Director in his
JOHN WHITLOCK HAIRGROVE, M.D. - This rising young physician and surgeon although only having been a resident of Waverly since May, 1886, is quite well established in his profession at this point, and is rapidly gaining the confidence, not only of his patrons, but the people at large. He is a native of this county, having been born in Jacksonville, Aug. 21, 1856, and is the son of Columbus and Rose A. (Whitlock) Hairgrove, natives respectively, of Georgia and Kentucky, and now residents of Jacksonville.
Soon after his birth, the parents of our subject removed to Kansas, and later to Memphis, Tenn. Finally returning to this county, they settled on a farm near Jacksonville, and there, from the age of six years upward, our subject spent his boyhood and youth, and received such educational advantages as was afforded by the country schools. Later he took a course in the Business College at Jacksonville, and finally became a student of Illinois College, where he remained three years. In the fall of 1880 he commenced the study of medicine, and in the spring of 1881 entered the office of Dr. David Prince, of Jacksonville where he applied himself closely to the best medical works within his reach, and at the end of one year became the assistant of his tutor.
Our subject remained with Dr. Prince until May, 1885, and a portion of this time attended lectures in the Hospital College of Medicine of Louisville, Ky., and in the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis. From this latter institution he was graduated in 1885, passing his examination and receiving his diploma two months prior to the time of commencement. He then commenced traveling over the Western country, and was thus occupied for about ten months, practicing medicine some of the time at Raton, N.M. Upon returning to Illinois in 1886, he located at Waverly, where he proposes to remain.
Although having little time to give to the discussion of political
affairs, Dr. Hairgrove keeps himself posted on the situation, and takes
sufficient interest therein to give his unqualified support to the Republican
party. Socially, he belongs to the K. of P. and the I.O.O.F. In the biography
of his parents, on another page in this Album further reference to the
family history may be found.
ISAAC HALE. The snug farm of 120 acres belonging to this gentleman is pleasantly located on section 31, township 16, range 12, and comprises land which he cleared from the wilderness mostly with his own hands, building up a comfortable homestead. He has, in common with the men around him, labored early and late, and is recognized as possessing all the qualities of a useful and worthy member of his community. He is a native of Hancock County, Ky., and was born Aug. 24, 1823.
The parents of our subject were William and Catherine (Snyder) Hale, who were probably born and reared in Virginia, and removed thence to Kentucky at an early day. The father served as a soldier in the War of 1812, and, after the conflict had ended, turned hi attention to agricultural pursuits. Isaac remained in Kentucky until the fall of 1845, then emigrated to this State and settled in what is now known as Cass County, where he lived until the spring of 1859. Then, crossing the Mississippi, he established himself in Saline County, Mo., where he sojourned about two and one-half years, and then, in the fall of 1861, made his way to Central Illinois and settled upon a part of the land which he now owns and occupies.
The first purchase of Mr. Hale in this county was eight acres, mostly covered with timber, which he cleared and brought to a state of cultivation. His labors, however, were interrupted by the outbreak of the Civil War, and, after watching the conflict, he finally enlisted, March 18, 1865, in Company K, 28th Illinois Infantry, and was ordered with his regiment to Mobile. In July following he was among those who crossed the Gulf of Mexico with the view of enforcing the Monroe Doctrine. The war had now closed, and he soon after returned to this county, since which time he has given his close attention to his farming interests.
Mr. Hale was married in Kentucky, Jan. 9, 1845, to Miss Lurissa J. Lake, who was born in Perry, Ind., but was reared in Kentucky. She was the daughter of Jesse and Mary Lake. This union resulted in the birth of eight children, seven of whom are living: Minor P. is a resident of Kansas; Mary C. is the wife of C. W. Hyde, of Meredosia precinct; Martha J. became the wife of Milton Sibert, of Jacksonville; William J. is a resident of Meredosia; Israel L. resides on the homestead; Charles T. makes his home at Meredosia; Harriet H. is the wife of David Buruss, of Meredosia; and David H. died when nine months old.
A man essentially the architect of his own fortune, Mr. Hale has labored under many disadvantages, but was endowed by nature with the qualities of industry and perseverance, which have placed him in a good position among his fellow men. His education, which was quite limited, was conducted in the primitive log school-house of Kentucky on the subscription plan. The temple of learning in its furnishings was widely different from the buildings of the present day, the floor being made of puncheon and the seats and desks of slabs with home-made wooden legs. Light was admitted through greased paper, which was stretched along the aperture formed by sawing out a log on one side if the building, and a huge fireplace occupied nearly one end of the structure; the chimney was built outside of earth and sticks.
The Western country at that time was less developed than the Blue Grass regions, and Mr. Hale has been the interested witness of the extraordinary changes taking place around him. He is now serving as a School Trustee in a district of well-educated and civilized people, whose children con their lessons in a shapely and well-furnished building from an abundance of books. In Mr. Hale's boyhood one book usually went through the family, and was used until worn out. He is a Democrat, politically, and in favor of all enterprises set on foot for the general good of the people. The duties of life began with him at the early age of five years, when he was set to work in the tobacco fields for his father, and from that time on knew little rest or recreation.
While with the army in Mexico Mr. hale was principally on picket
duty, and was elected Corporal. The experience was a useful one, full of
interest, and upon which he looks back with the feeling that it afforded
him opportunities for observation of men and a section of country, and
which, from actual experience, he can retain in his memory better than
if he had read it from books.
GEORGE H. HALL. Among the native born citizens of this county, who are comfortably established in homes of their own and are well-to-do, may be properly mentioned Mr. Hall, who was born April 21, 1853, and is consequently in the prime of life. He represents property to the amount of 160 acres of thoroughly cultivated land, with good improvements, and is a man looked up to in his community as possessing all the qualities of a good citizen. He acquired a good education, and although not a college graduate, is master of probably more practical knowledge than many who have been for years under the tutelage of learned men.
Mr. Hall is of English descent, being the son of William Hall, a native of Yorkshire, and who was born July 11, 1803. The latter remained upon his native soil until after his marriage, emigrating to America in 1830. He made his way directly to this county, and was one of its earliest pioneers, locating on a tract of land west of the present site of Jacksonville, which was then marked by a few rude buildings. He made his mark upon a portion of the primitive soil, building up a good homestead, where he spent the remainder of his life, and departed hence May 14, 1873. He was first married to Miss Elizabeth Killam, of Yorkshire, and they became the parents of six children, three of whom are living: Ann married George Exley, of Jacksonville, a saddler and harness maker, and they now live in California; John W. married Fanny Wilkinson, of this county, and lives in Jacksonville, where he operates as a blacksmith and deals in agricultural implements; Martha married Thomas Lee, a farmer of this county; they live near Markham, and are the parents of seven children, five living. Mary married Robert Newby, is living in Morgan County, and is farming.
The mother of our subject, Mrs. Elizabeth L. (Riggs) Hall, was a native of New Jersey. Her parents removed from New Jersey to Brown County, this State, in 1831; she had only two children - our subject and Isaac T., who was born in 1857 and died in 1861. George H., of our sketch, married Elizabeth A. Moody, a native of Morgan County. They settled in this county, and her father died about 1871. The mother is still living, and makes her home in Jacksonville. The family included twelve children, only four of whom are living, namely: John, Sarah, Ulysses Grant, and Mrs. Hall. John married Lucinda Murphy, and is a farmer of this county; Sarah is the widow of Charles L. Newby, and resides in Jacksonville. Ulysses G. married Hannah Hogan of Jacksonville, and they occupy the old homestead.
To Mr. and Mrs. Hall there have been born six children, viz: Flora
J., Rachel L., John W., Ritta A., Henry R., and Augustus C. Mr. Hall has
occupied his present farm for nine years, and has made all the improvements
upon it. It was formerly a part of the Alexander estate, and he purchased
it of A. E. Ayers. He has few outside interests, giving his attention closely
to the improvement and cultivation of his farm. He keeps himself well posted
upon current events, however, and uniformly votes the Republican ticket.
Aside from serving on the jury, he has had little or nothing to do with
public affairs. Mr. Hall is Grand Worthy Secretary of the A. H. F. A. of
HENRY H. HALL, a retired farmer in good circumstances and a resident of Jacksonville, was one of the pioneer settlers of Morgan county, and prominent during the years of its early growth and development. He was born in Accomack County, Va., Aug. 17, 1827, and is the son of Henry H. and Anna (Beard) Hall, whose family consisted of the following children, namely: John, Ann, Eliza, Henry (first and second), Henry H. (our subject), John Pitt, Eliza (2d), Robert, and Jane, five of whom are deceased.
The father of our subject was born near Belfast, Ireland, in 1795, and received a classical education, being graduated from one of the best schools in Edinburg, Scotland. Later he studied surgery in Dublin, and in due time was appointed a Surgeon in the British army, in which capacity he served a number of years. He came to America in 1817, settling in Virginia, and the following year was married. Upon coming to Illinois he settled in that part of Morgan County, which is now Cass County, and laid out the town of Virginia. He entered a large tract of land from the Government, and became well-to-do, living there until his death in 1847. He was recognized as a liberal-minded and public-spirited citizen, and took an active interest in all that pertained to the welfare of his adopted county. He identified himself with the Democratic party, and became a warm personal friend of Stephen A. Douglas. Though not a member of any church organization, he led a truly Christian life, filled with deeds of charity and kindness, and enjoyed the highest respect of all who knew him.
The mother of our subject was a native of Virginia, and traced her ancestry back to the family of which William Pitt was a scion, in England. She was a devout member of the Presbyterian Church, a faithful wife and a devoted mother. Her death took place in 1882, after she had reached a ripe old age, in which she enjoyed the full possession of all her faculties, being remarkably strong both mentally and physically.
Our subject remained under the parental roof during the lifetime of his father, and was educated mostly in a private school. He embarked in merchandising about 1850, but a few years later, on account of failing health, turned his attention to farming and stock raising. Later he organized the Farmers' National Bank of Virginia, Cass County, of which he officiated as President four years. In 1870 he retired from active business, and took up his residence in Jacksonville, where he has since lived. He was first married to a daughter of Judge Epler, of Jacksonville, and they became the parents of five children: Charles H., Ida M., Mary E., Grace M., and John R. all living. Charles and John were both educated in the Illinois College, and the former is now living in Minneapolis, Minn.
Our subject, in 1872, contracted a second marriage with Miss Anna
Savage of Jacksonville. Of this union there has been born one child, a
daughter, Helen H. Mr. Hall, politically, is a member of the Democratic
party, and belongs to the Congregational Church.
HALL, JOHN S., a well known and prosperous farmer who follows his vocation in the vicinity of Literberry, Morgan County, Ill., was born near Staunton, Augusta County, Va., February 10, 1832. He is a son of Nelson J. and Catherine (Grow) Hall, also natives of that State. Nelson J. Hall came to Morgan County in 1857, and died at the home of his son, John S. He was hurt in a cyclone, which caused much damage in Morgan County, and succumbed to his injuries twelve days later. He and his wife were the parents of thirteen children, all of whom reached maturity. Of this family, eight were girls.
John S. Hall was reared on a farm. In boyhood he received his mental training in the common schools, and, on reaching mature years, applied himself to farming. At the beginning of the Civil War, he enlisted in Company G, Fifty-second Regiment Virginia Volunteer Infantry, in which he served about a year. In 1864 he located in Morgan County, and engaged in farming on rented land. Shortly afterward he purchased the farm where he has since resided, which now consists of 200 acres, situated a mile and half from Literberry.
On August 3, 1865, Mr. Hall was united in marriage with Elizabeth
A. Henderson, and soon afterward commenced housekeeping in his present
home. He and his wife became the parents of three children, namely: Hattie
B., who is married and lives on the home farm; Lula, the wife of J. R.
C. Bateman; and Annie who lives with her father. The mother of this family
died March 2, 1898. In political campaigns, Mr. Hall maintains an independent
attitude, using his judgment as to the best man on whom to bestow his suffrage.
Religiously he is a member of the Christian Church, in which he has served
as Trustee for many years. He is a man of high character, and as a farmer
has secured most praiseworthy results from his many years of toil.
WILLIAM H. HAMEL, late of Township 14, range 11, departed this life at his homestead on section 15, March 10, 1888. He was then approaching the fifty-third year of his age, having been born Sept. 26, 1835, in Knox County, Ohio. He came of excellent Holland-Dutch stock and was the son of William Hamel, a farmer by occupation and who was born and reared in Knox County, where he was married to Miss Rosanna Ely.
After the birth of three children, all sons, the parents of our subject emigrated to Illinois and located on a tract of wild land in township 14, range 11, in this county. Later, however, they changed their residence to Lynnville, where the elder Hamel spent the remainder of his life, passing away Feb. 10, 1879, at the age of seventy-two years, having been born Nov. 21, 1807. His wife, Rosanna, is still living and makes her home with her brother, Martin Ely, in Fulton County, this State. She was born Nov. 3, 1812, and is consequently approaching the seventy-seventh year of her age. Both she and her husband in religious matters, adhere to the doctrines of the Methodist Church, and the latter during the later years of his life was identified with the Republican party. He had been quite prominent in local politics and served as Justice of the Peace for many years.
The subject of this sketch was the youngest child of his parents who came to this county when he was quite young. He grew up surrounded by good and healthy influences, which had their effect both upon mind and body, and formed within him a character which made him a man respected among his fellows. By his industry and perseverance he became the owner of a good farm of 120 acres, and also acquired 160 acres in Kansas which have never been improved. His death was the result of cancer from which he suffered greatly for some time and which sufferings he bore with Christian patience and fortitude. His death was not only deeply mourned by his family, but by all who knew him, for he was a man who, without making any great stir in the world, exercised that silent influence which will live after a man has passed away, thus fulfilling the Scripture saying that "his works do follow him."
The marriage of William H. Hamel and Miss Elizabeth J. Horton took place at the home of the bride near Astoria, in Fulton County, this State, Dec. 24, 1857. Mrs. Hamel was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, March 13, 1840, and was the daughter of William and Sarah (Dennis) Horton, who were also natives of that county. There also they were reared and married and lived until after the birth of part of their family, then in 1851 came to Fulton County, this State. Mr. Horton died at his home near Astoria in 1881, at the age of sixty-five years. He was a good man in the broadest sense of the term, kindly and hospitable as a neighbor and in his private life without reproach. The mother is still living and is now seventy-five years old, and quite feeble.
Mrs. Hamel was the oldest daughter of her parents and grew up an
intelligent and amiable young woman, and these qualities have continued
with her all through life. Her mother has for many years been a member
of the Baptist Church, but Mrs. Hamel is a Methodist in religion. Of her
union with our subject there was born one child, a son, Evert Lee, March
21, 1868. He remains with his mother and assists in the management of the
farm. They have a pleasant and comfortable home and are held in high respect
by a large circle of friends.
JOHN C. HAMILTON. This gentleman who prior to his decease occupied a prominent position in the county came to this State from Kentucky in the year 1834. He followed agricultural pursuits for many years, when he sold his farm and embarked in business as a merchant in Jacksonville. In this he was so successful as to be able to retire and enjoy a large competency that had accumulated as the result thereof, and for the latter thirty years of his life was free from the active engagements of business. His residence, which is situated on South Main Street, Jacksonville, was the center of hospitalities and gatherings of a social nature that were always most enjoyable.
Mr. Hamilton was born in 1797, and at his death, which occurred on the 10th of March, 1880, was eighty-three years of age. He was a highly respected member of the Masonic fraternity, and in religious circles was much esteemed. He was a man of pronounced Christian character and consistency. For several years he was the local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church, continuing to sustain that relation until his death. For many years he was engaged in the interests of the Church, preaching at points distant widely from each other, and accounting no difficulty too great to prevent his filling an appointment when once it had been made. He was always well received as a preacher, and it was gratifying to know that his labors were a pronounced success.
Upon three different occasions the subject of our sketch stood before the altar of Hymen. He was first married to Miss Mary Reece, who presented him with five children, who received the following names: Susan, John S., Mary, Reece and Alphonso. He afterward became te husband of Miss Sarah Smith of Kentucky. This union was fruitful in the birth of ten children. In 1858 he was united in wedlock to Mrs. Eliza Glenn. This lady is a native of Harrison County, Ky., and was born in the year 1815. She is the daughter of George and Susan (Barrett) Reece. The name of her first husband was James B. Glenn. Who prior to his decease, was a prosperous merchant at Monticello, Mo., but a native of the Blue Grass State. They were the parents of the following children: Sarah Ellen, who became the wife of John Smedley; James Irvin, Henry H., and George R., who received in marriage the hand of Miss Mary Buckingham of Jacksonville. Mr. Glenn died in the year 1847 at Monticello, Mo.
Mrs. Hamilton is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, which
relation she has sustained for about sixty years. In all works of religious
enterprise or charity she is a generous supporter. She still continues
to reside at the beautiful home referred to above situated on South Main
street. She holds a very high place in the esteem of the people of Jacksonville,
more especially in the religious and social circles, where she is best
known, and where her many virtues are most appreciated.
GEORGE A. HARNEY. The biographer in his peregrinations over the country, hunting after the most interesting facts connected with the history of its people, finds almost invariably that the men of prominence and influence are those who have been the architects of their own fortunes - whose early opportunities were limited and whose finances, especially, were only such as they accumulated by their own industry. These sentiments are particularly applicable to the subject of this notice, who commenced life at the foot of the ladder as a farm laborer. Later, he officiated as a clerk in a dry-goods store, and then became interested in railroad matters. This latter seemed that to which he was well adapted, and in which he has been successful as the employee of the Jacksonville & Southeastern Company for a period of eighteen years, during which time he has held the position of Station Agent, at Franklin. In addition to the duties of this office he also operates largely in grain, wool and coal. He owns one of the finest residences in the village, and has a farm of 190 acres which is operated by other parties, but which is the source of a fine income to its owners.
Mr. Harney is a native of this county, and was born June 3, 1850. He pursued his first studies in the village school, and later, made himself master of the branches which would enable him to transact general business in a correct manner. He is the scion of a good family, being the son of William H. R. Harney, a native of Lexington, Ky., who came to Illinois in 1829, settled in this county, and for some years was occupied in farming pursuits. Later, he engaged in the manufacture of rope and twine for several years, in the village of Franklin, and finally retired from active labor, and spent his last days in peace and comfort, dying about 1882.
Mrs. Mary (Orr) Harney, the mother of our subject, was a native, was a native of Ohio, and came to this county with her parents at an early day. She died of cholera in 1851, when a young woman, and when her son, our subject, was less than a year old. The parental household included eight children, only three of whom are living, namely: Paulina D., Margery, and George A., of our sketch. The elder sister is the wife of John A. Wright, of this county; they have no children. Margery married F. G. Lombard, a gentleman of French birth and parentage, and who is engaged as a Collection Agent, in Waverly. He also owns a farm, and they have five children, Willie E., Frank, Joseph B., Margery and Caroline.
Francis M. went to New Orleans in 1856, and joined Walker's filibustering expedition to Central America, where he was captured by the natives, but escaped in company with a friend to North Carolina. When Beaureguard fired upon Ft. Sumter, he joined the Confederate army and was killed at Gettysburg, July 4, 1863. His remains were buried on the battle field, and afterward removed to the Confederate cemetery at Richmond, Va. Another brother, James P., enlisted in 1861, as a Union soldier in Company H, 32d Illinois Infantry; was slightly wounded at Shiloh, and after the expiration of his first term of enlistment veteranized and went with Gen. Sherman on the march to the sea. At the close of the war he started home, but was taken ill on the way and died at the general hospital in New York City.
Upon approaching manhood our subject occupied himself mostly at clerking, and when ready to establish a home of his own, was married March 25, 1874, to Miss Anna W., daughter of Dr. W. N. Tandy. Mrs. Harney was born in 1859, in Missouri, and was deprived of a mother's care when a small child. Her father died in Illinois, about 1885. Their family consisted of nine children, eight of whom are living, viz: Thomas S., Leonidas W., Edward M., Jessie M., Darian E., Mary B., Ella J. and Emma. Darian and Thomas are employed as teachers in the schools at Franklin; Thomas S. is a physician and surgeon for the Wabash Railroad, and makes his home in Kinderhook; Leonidas is also a practicing physician in Kinderhook.
Only one of the two children born to our subject and his wife is
living, a son, Glenn W., who was born July 11, 1881. The other son, Harry
C., died in 1880, when two years old. Mr. and Mrs. H. are devout members
of the Christian Church. Mr. H. has been identified with the masonic fraternity
for many years, and has held most of the offices of his lodge, being at
present Senior Warden. He cast his first Presidential vote for Greeley,
and thereafter, until the late (1888) Presidential election, affiliated
with the Democratic party. As he is in favor of protection, he cast his
last vote for Gen. Harrison. As a man and a citizen, Mr. Harney holds a
position in the front rank. He is courteous and gentlemanly, and at once
impresses those who meet him, as possessing those qualities of character
naturally belonging to the gentleman born and bred. He has accumulated
his property solely by his own exertions, and while he looks with contempt
upon the idler and the drone in community, no man is more willing to extend
a helping hand to those who try to help themselves.
William P. Harris
WILLIAM P. HARRIS. It is with difficulty one can picture the prairies of Illinois as they lay sixty years ago, their surface scarcely disturbed by the foot of a white man, much less by the plowshare. There were miles of level prairie, over which the Indian wandered and wild animals ranged in unrestrained freedom. The time came, however, when the white man was not willing that these great resources should longer lie undeveloped, and accordingly caravan after caravan, began pushing its way toward the Mississippi.
Among the scores who flocked to Central Illinois in the early thirties, and even prior to this, was William P. Harris, who arrived in this county on the 1st day of April, 1829. In due time he established himself upon a tract of wild land and with his brother pioneers began the creation of a homestead. The years which followed were plentiful in toil and hardship, and after the passage of a decade, Mr. Harris, like his brother settlers, found himself upon solid ground, financially, and felt that he had been repaid for all he had endured. He is now a veteran of eighty-two years, remarkably well preserved, and able to relate with intelligence many of the incidents which were crowded into the years of his pioneership, and which are ever pregnant with interest to those who have the faculty of contemplation and appreciation. To those who came to the West and were foremost in the development of her rich resources, too much praise cannot now be given, for they are fast passing away, and we cannot too soon gather and preserve the story of their lives and labors.
Our subject was born in Green County, Ky., May 7, 1807, and is the son of Charles and Sarah (Penticost) Harris, natives of Virginia. The paternal grandfather, George Harris, was born in Wales, and upon emigrating to the United States settled in the Old Dominion, where he reared a family of four sons and three daughters. He likewise served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and spent his last days in Virginia.
The father of our subject resided in his native State until 1806, then removing to Green County, Ky., settled on a farm near Greensburg, where his death took place in 1821, at the age of fifty-six years. The wife and mother survived until 1851, spending her last days in Green County, Ky. All their children, eight in number lived to mature years and were married. They were named, respectively: Hattie, Sarah, William P., Elizabeth, Polly, Martha, Catherine, and Nancy.
The early life of our subject, who was the only son of his parents, was spent amid the quiet scenes of agricultural districts, and he remained a member of his father's household until after he had attained the twentieth year of his age. He was then married, Aug. 10, 1827, to Miss Melinda Miler, then a resident of Harrison County, Ind. She was born in Tennessee, and was the daughter of John and Martha Miler, who spent their last years in Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Harris began their wedded life together on a farm in his native county, but less than two years later determined to seek their fortune in another part of the world, and gathering together their household effects, started overland with teams for this county. They first halted near the present site of Waverly, where they spent about two weeks, and then Mr. Harris rented land in the vicinity fo Jacksonville, upon which he operated until 1837. He had then accumulated a little capital and was enabled to purchase 200 acres of land in Macoupin County. He lived upon this until the spring of 1849, then selling out he removed to Sangamon County, where he purchased 320 acres. He improved a portion of this and bought land until he became the owner of 800 acres, all of which he brought to a state of cultivation and upon it erected good buildings.
In 1874, having accumulated a competence, Mr. Harris divided the greater part of his land among his sons and retiring from active labor, removed from the farm and took up his abode in Waverly, where he put up a large and comfortable residence, which he still occupies. At the farm during his later years, he made a speciality of stock raising with most excellent results. He had in the meantime become the father of eight children, but was deprived of the companionship of his devoted wife, who died in 1851.
Miss Caroline Harris, the eldest daughter of our subject, became the wife of James Arnold, and died in Sangamon County, this State, several years ago; Elizabeth (Mrs. William Calbert) is a resident of Arkansas; Charles lives in Sangamon County, Ill.; Nancy is the wife of Dr. R. E. McVey, of Topeka, Kan.; Martha married Enoch Gilpin, and died in Sangamon County; William H. H. H., is a resident of Waverly; Thomas J. and James M., (twins) are residents of Sangamon County; Emerson T. died in Waverly in 1881.
Mr. Harris in November, 1852, contracted a second marriage with Polly C. Tinnon, who was born and reared in Logan County, Ky., and who died in Waverly, this county, in January, 1888. Our subject cast his first Presidential vote for J. Q. Adams, becoming a member of the Old Whig party. Upon its abandonment he supported John C. Fremont, and has since been an ardent Republican. He has served as Justice of the Peace, both in Sangamon and Macoupin counties, and has been a Deacon of the Baptist Church for many years. He identified himself with this Church fifty years ago. He says that the winter of 1888-89 was the mildest he has known since the famous season of 1829-30. On the 10th of March, 1830, his wife gathered a handsome bouquet of wild flowers. He experienced the rigors of the winter of 1830-31, well known in history as the winter of the seep snow, and this was repeated in 1855-56, although not to so aggravated a degree. The eyes which have looked upon so many wonderful scenes and the tongue which is able to relate so many thrilling incidents will in due time have failed their office, but the name of William P. Harris will be held in kindly remembrance long after he has been gathered to his fathers.
We give elsewhere a lithographed portrait of Mr. Harris, which to
his many friends will be a valuable memento.
REV. GEORGE HART is a prominent Baptist minister of Morgan County, and a man of large professional capacity. He is a lineal descendant of the Hart family, of whom two brothers came from Germany to the United States in 1700, and landed at Charleston, S. C. They were sold to pay their passage form the Fatherland, and never heard of each other again. Charles Hart, one of these brothers, lived and died in South Carolina. But very little is known of his history farther than he had a son David, who in turn had a son born in South Carolina, Dec. 18, 1798, and who was united in marriage to Margaret Blackwelder. Ten sons and one daughter was the result of this union. This couple resided in Mercer County, Ky., in an early day, and removed to Bedford County, Tenn., where the husband and father died. Solomon Hart, the third son of this family, was born in Mercer County, Ky., Jan. 6, 1793, and at the age of ten years removed with his father to Tennessee. At the age of twenty years, with his older brother, he enlisted as a soldier under Gen. Andrew Jackson, and saw active service at the Horse Shoe battle. Returning from the army he was married to Miss Nancy Waggoner, July 17, 1817, and in 1826 he came to Morgan County, where, with his brothers, Charles and Nathan, he lived for a short time near Jacksonville, then a village of very small proportions. Like most early settlers he was dissatisfied with the scarcity of timber, and so removed to the south part of the county, where he built his cabin on the margin of that beautiful island, formed by Little and Big Apple Creeks. Here he purchased from the Government 240 acres of fine timber land, and invested the rest of his means in prairie. He was soon followed by his brothers, Charles, David, Anderson and Nathan. This favored spot is now called Hart's Prairie. Here Solomon Hart with his wife underwent all the toils and hardships that surround a pioneer's life. He reared a family of two daughters and eight sons. In an early day he became impressed with the religious doctrines of A. Campbell, and opened his house for religious worship to the followers of that faith, and so continued for many years. Here Dr. Henderson, W. W. Happy and Robert Foster gave vent to their eloquence.
Solomon Hart's family were plain unassuming people, never enjoying themselves better than when helping some unfortunate. He was a Jackson Democrat and a great admirer of Douglas, and lived to vote for fourteen presidents. He reared eight sons, who were all Democrats, and before he died, on the 17th day of October, in the eighty-second year of his age, he saw a grand State spring up from a wilderness, to take rank among the first States of this nation.
Solomon Hart, the father of our subject, it will thus be seen had an eventful history. Of this family, Joseph W. died in Morgan County, in 1864; Harvey C. died in Macoupin County, this State, in April, 1886; John C. died in the same county, in 1863; Felitha married Lewis Dutton, now of Kansas; Melchi died in 1862, in Macoupin County; Eliza married Thomas Heggy, and is now farming in Macoupin County, this State; William married for his first wife Barbara A. Fanning, of Morgan County, to whom was born one child - James, who married Augusta Reinbach, of Morgan County. William's second wife's maiden name was Mary Ann Rice, who died, then he married the third time. His third wife was named Mrs. Martha J. price; she now resides on the old homestead in Morgan County,. William is a minister of the Baptist church, and has been for the last thirty years. Marion married Laura Duncan, of Virginia. He is a farmer and stock dealer of Edgar, Clay co., Neb. Solomon married Frances Haynes, and they now reside on the homestead.
The Rev. George Hart, of whom this sketch is written, was married
to Miss Nancy B. Rice, of Macoupin County, Ill. Her parents came from Kentucky
in an early day. They have nine children, six of whom are living: Mary
E., William C., Eliza J., George S., Marion W. W. and Berrisse G. The others
died in infancy. Mr. Hart has always resided in Morgan County until twelve
years ago, when he removed to Franklin and engaged in mercantile pursuits
and milling. He was ordained to the ministry in 1870, since which time
he has filled various pulpits of Morgan and other counties. He is a member
of the Masonic Order, and has been Village Trustee, besides filling other
offices. Politically, he is a Democrat.
JOHN D. HART is a prominent breeder of blooded cattle, horses, hogs and sheep, and a leading farmer of Morgan County. Mr. Hart is proud of the fact that he is the lineal descendant of one of the two Hart brothers, who landed at Charleston, S. C., in 1700, and whose career has been touched upon in another part of this volume. David Hart, the father of John D., was born in Mercer Co., Ky., July 2, 1802, where he resided for some years, when he removed with his father to Tennessee. David Hart married Elizabeth Rhodes, who was born in 1805, and was married to David Hart in 1821. Her people came from Maryland and North Carolina in the last century, and from there removed to Bedford Co., Tenn. In Dec. 1829, the parents of the subject of this sketch emigrated to Morgan County, and located upon the homestead of eighty acres, now belonging to the old estate, but which, at the time of David Hart's death, had been increased to 622 acres.
David Hart was the father of a large family of children, the eldest of whom, a daughter, Melissa, married John White, both are deceased, but left one child, Sarah E., who married William Turner of Macoupin co., Ill. Ellen deceased married Robert Privott, of Kentucky; they had seven children - Harlan N., Wilburn, Sarah, John, Robert, George and Luella. Washington married Sarah White, now deceased, and they had nine children - David, Lydia and Nancy (deceased), Harvey, Anderson (deceased), Emma, Francis, Martha and Ellen. Harvey married Margaret Dugger; they are living in Christian County, and are the parents of eight children - Belle, Douglas, Mary, Melinda, Maria, Clay D., Dwight and Carroll. Elizabeth married Marion Redfern and they have six children - America, Edward, Jefferson, Jasper, henry and Wesley (deceased). Benton (deceased) married Lucy A. Austin, of North Carolina; they had six children, two of whom, John and Ada, are deceased. The four living are Nettie, Charles, Alvah and David. Jefferson married Emma Dugger, now deceased, and is the father of five children - Belle, John, Malissa, Eva and James (deceased). Jane married Dred Dugger, of Gallatin Co., Ill., and they had eleven children - Kate, Edgar, Tillie, Alice, Clara, Hattie, Rosella, James, Maggie Laura and Ralph. Martha married Rev. William Evans, of Kentucky, (and now deceased) and they had seven children - Sarah, May, William, James, David, Eddie and Ella (deceased). William married Ella Belsher, of Macoupin County. They are the parents of nine children - Alice, America, Emma, Louis, Martha, Everett, Nora, Annie and Bert (deceased).
John D. Hart was married to Annie E. Anderson, whose people were from Kentucky. She traces her ancestry to Scotland. In this family are six children - Sylvia O., Willard W., Mura M., Garney C., Iva I. and Carson C.
Mr. Hart, in common with other pioneers of this country, started in life with little money, but with a large amount of hope, and with this capital, has succeeded admirably. His economical habits, unabated industry and good business faculties have placed him in the enviable position of independence. His farm contains 416 acres of first-class land, peculiarly adapted to agriculture and stock raising. The buildings upon this farm are models of convenience and utility. Mr. Hart is a breeder of stock, and makes a specialty of black Polled Angus cattle. He has a splendid herd of these superior cattle, and is justified in being proud of their fine breeding.
Mr. Hart is a member of the Masonic order, and politically votes with the Democratic party, because he believes that party to be in the right, and he takes great interest in politics, but he is not now, and perhaps never will be, an aspirant for office.
The paternal grandparents of Mrs. Hart emigrated from Scotland to
Kentucky in the beginning of the nineteenth century, and, after living
there a few years, came to Illinois, settling in Morgan County. Their son,
Andrew Anderson, the father of Mrs. Hart, was born in Kentucky, and was
married in this county to Miss Elizabeth Cole. Their seven children were
named respectively, Robert W., James T., John P., Annie., Sarah J. (deceased),
Stephen D. and Alfred R.
CHARLES HEINZ, SR., a manufacturer of plows and other agricultural implements at Meredosia, was born in Gladenbach, Hessen Darmstadt, Germany, on Jan. 20, 1828. The village mechanic is essential to the success of the farmer. It is he whose skill lightens the labor of the tiller of the soil, and when implements are broken, or for any cause fail to perform their work, then the mechanic steps to the front and promptly starts the disabled machinery again. Mr. Heinz has attained an enviable record as an ingenious and painstaking workman.
The main part of his shop is 22x82, to which an addition has been erected for blacksmithing purposes which is 22x36, and contains three forges, which are busy at work most of the time. Mr. Heinz is the owner of these buildings, and he finds them none too large.
Mr. heinz is a son of Jacob and Louisa (Baier) Heinz, both natives of Germany. When Charles was three years old his mother died, and in 1839 his father emigrated to America, his three boys being left in Germany; they followed him two years later. At the age of sixteen he was apprenticed to a cooper, but only remained at this trade for three years, when he began to learn blacksmithing. He had worked at this trade but fourteen months when he enlisted as a volunteer in the Mexican War in the 1st Illinois Cavalry under Capt. Adam Dunlap. Arriving in Mexico, this organization became a part of Gen. Taylor's army and subsequently was under Gen. Wool. Mr. Heinz was principally engaged in detailed duty as a scout, and while in this department of the service he had many narrow escapes. His regiment was a part of the guard to the Government property, which was transported from Mexico to Texas. Mr. heinz was also detailed as a bugler. After a service of eighteen months he was discharged.
In 1849, Mr. heinz first established himself in business at Meredosia. He was a blacksmith of great skill and as a result soon built up a large and lucrative trade. When the Civil War broke out he first enlisted, and was elected First Lieutenant in Company A, the 101st Illinois Infantry, and after a service of over eight months he resigned and re-enlisted in Company K, of the 28th Illinois Infantry and was commissioned as First Lieutenant. With the last organization he remained one year. He then returned to Meredosia and settled down to his former business, enlarging it to its present proportions. He has now an engine of 10-horse power, which drives machinery needed in the business that he now carries on. He is now successfully engaged in making plows as an addition to his former business; the "Diamond Plow" being a specialty. He also manufactures cultivators, riding plows, and other farming implements, in all of which may be seen the maker's skill and ingenuity.
Mr. Heinz married Elizabeth Anderson, a native of Virginia,
who bore him six children: Caroline, wife of F. M. Davis, of Coffeyville,
Kan.; Louisa, wife of A. S. Boles, of Garwin, Iowa; Frank; Ella, wife of
John Lange; Charles and Mary. Mr. Heinz is a member of John York Post,
No. 123 G.A.R. He is also a member of both the A.F. & A.M. and I.O.O.F.
orders, having been a member of the latter society since 1854. He has held
all the offices in that organization. Politically, he is a Democrat, and
has served six years as a County Commissioner, of Morgan County, and with
credit to himself and his constituents. He has also served as a School
Director, and has been a member of the Meredosia Board of Village Trustees.
Mr. Heinz is not a member of any church organization, but is a liberal
contributor to the cause of religion. He is a leading man of Morgan County,
and has attained this position by reason of his integrity and skill as
a business man. His success is directly traceable to his own efforts and
when his proper epitaph shall have been written it will embrace the simple
words, "Here lies a man."
RICHARD HEMBROUGH, one of the old settlers of Morgan County, came from England in search of a better country, and he found it here. He owns and occupies the old homestead, which is located on section 15, township 15, range 11, and here he has lived since 1829. (A fine view of this home place appears on another page, which with its attractive environments forms a pleasant scene in the surrounding landscape.) He owns 240 acres of well-improved land, adorned by first-class farm buildings, and is also the owner of timber property in another township.
Mr. Hembrough was born in West Riding, Yorkshire, Nov. 6, 1814. His ancestry on both sides are English, and the family is noted for being physically of a stalwart mould. His father, John Hembrough, was a native of Yorkshire, and a weaver by trade, as was his grandfather, whose name was Richard Hembrough, and who died in his native shire when about eighty-two years old. John Hembrough married Annie Terver, also a native of Yorkshire and of English parentage. After the birth of five children, John Hembrough and wife sailed from Hull on April 14, 1829, and landed in Quebec, after a journey of six weeks and four days. Thence they came to Morgan County and purchased from the Government the farm now owned by Richard, the deed being distinguished by the signature of Gen. Andrew Jackson. This became the home of the parents of the subject of this sketch until death called them away. The father died in 1868, aged about eighty-three years. He was an active Whig and Republican, and a member of the Church of England. He was one of the old settlers of Morgan County, and was an honor to the land of his adoption. He came here with the laudable object of living in a free country, and at the same time was desirous of procuring land for his children. He knew if he remained in England the only heritage he could bequeath to his posterity would be life-long poverty, so he made a resolve to improve his financial condition; that he did so, the possessions which he left his heirs is ample testimony, and over and above all this and what is far better, he left a good name for his children and his entire circle of acquaintances to honor and emulate. His wife died in 1845, when she was fifty-five years old. She was a member of the English Church and a consistent Christian. Those who enjoyed the honor of her acquaintance say that she was a good wife and neighbor.
Richard Hembrough was the eldest of a family of ten children, seven of whom were born in England and five of whom are yet living. He was first married in Greene County, Ill., to Sarah Bains, a lady of English parentage. She emigrated to this country with her parents while young, and died a little over two years after her marriage, leaving no children. Mr. Hembrough's second marriage was in this county to Miss Rachel Rawlings, who was a native of Yorkshire England, and whose birth occurred in 1816. In 1840, she came to the United States with her parents, who located near Franklin, Morgan County. Here her father, William Rawlings died in 1856, at the age of eighty-two. Her mother, Mary (Wilson) Rawlings, died at her home, being over fourscore years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Rawlings, were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and were good christian people. Mrs. Hembrough was the third child of a family of nine children. She is the mother of four children, two of whom died young, and Mary died when seventeen years of age. Sarah is living and is the wife of James Scott. They live on a farm, which is their own property, and have five children: Richard A., James E., Ida M., Frances M., and Hattie.
Since their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Hembrough have lived on their
farm, and are now serenely approaching the evening of their life. They
can look back over the past years with the pleasant consciousness of having
done what is right to every one. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, Mr. Hembrough being Superintendent of the Sunday school. Politically,
he votes and works for the Republican ticket.
AMOS HENDERSON, Justice of the Peace, may usually be found at his office, on the north side of the square, in Jacksonville, fulfilling the duties of the position to which he was elected by the Republicans of the county in 1884. He has spent the greater part of his life in this locality, and Jacksonville in its early days, while it was an unpretentious village, was his birthplace. Here he was cradled forty-eight years ago, having begun life Nov. 20, 1840.
Smiley H. and Mary E. (Henderson) Henderson, the parents of our subject, were natives of Ross County, Ohio, the father born Jan. 5, 1801. He came to this part of Morgan County in April, 1826. He had been reared a farmer's boy, but, upon his removal to the Prairie State, changed his occupation somewhat, and engaged in general merchandising until 1853. He was the first merchant of Jacksonville, and put up the three-story brick building which may still be seen on the northeast corner of the public square. This was probably the first brick store in the place, and was patronized by people within a radius of sixty miles. The elder Henderson was successful in his business transactions, and upon retiring, in 1853, was master of a competence. He lived at his ease over thirty years, passing away on the 10th of April, 1886, at his home in Jacksonville.
The father of our subject in the early days purchased ten acres of land, which was afterward included in the corporate limits of the city and duly laid off into lots, which sold at a good figure. Originally he had been a Whit in politics, and after the abandonment of the old party affiliated with the Republicans. The old Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which he was a member, the most thoroughly realized his ideas of religious duty. The parents were married in Jacksonville in 1827, their family consisted of twelve children, six of whom are living, viz: Betsy, Mrs. Hamilton; Minerva, Mrs. Lee; Elizabeth, Mrs. Howard; and Amos, all of Jacksonville; Charity, Mrs. McConnell, of Omaha, Neb., and Smiley, Jr., in Los Angeles, Cal. The mother, a member of the same church as her husband, departed this life in October, 1862.
Amos Henderson spent his boyhood days in school, and later attended the Berean College, of this city until 1860. The second year of the war, 1862, he enlisted as a Union soldier in Company D, 101st Illinois Infantry, but, after serving eighteen months, was obliged to accept his discharge on account of disability. In the engagement at Holly Springs, Miss., Dec. 20, 1863, he was captured by the rebels, but was released in June following. At once returning to Jacksonville, he re-enlisted in Company B, 133d Illinois Infantry, with the 100 days men, and served five months.
Upon retiring from the army, Mr. Henderson returning to Jacksonville, engaged in general merchandising, and during the period of four years thus occupied, built up a large and lucrative trade. For the next four or five years he was engaged as bookkeeper for the firm of Howard & Thompson. He then became interested in insurance, at which he continued until being elected to his present office.
The married of Amos Henderson and Miss Ermine Miller, of Jacksonville,
was celebrated at the home of the bride, oct. 12, 1866. Mrs. Henderson
was born in October, 1843, in Morgan County, and is the daughter of Henry
and Mary Miller. Her parents were natives of Kentucky, and are now deceased.
Herbert, the eldest son of Mr. Henderson is engaged in the printing business
in Jacksonville. The Squire belongs to the Republican party and the G.
A. R. His pleasant and comfortable home occupies No. 339 East North Street.
FRANCIS M. HENDERSON, a son of one of the earliest pioneers of this county, is now numbered among its most prominent and well-to-do citizens. He was reared amid the wild scenes of pioneer life and in that atmosphere imbibed the love of freedom and those sentiments of sterling integrity which have made him a man upright and praiseworthy in his dealings with his fellows, and thoroughly in sympathy with the projects and enterprises which have brought his native county to its present state. By watching its growth and development he has practically grown up with it and contributed his full quota in making it what it is.
The property of our subject embraces a well regulated farm of 140 acres pleasantly located on section 36, township 16, range 12. It became his in its undeveloped condition, and he has expended years of labor and hundreds of dollars in effecting the improvements upon it and bringing the soil to its fertile condition which has rendered it highly productive and valuable. Notwithstanding the among of labor he has accomplished, he is still in his prime, having been born Dec. 15, 1837, and it is to be hoped will enjoy many more years of the comfort and satisfaction to which he is entitled as the reward of his honest toil.
Out subject is the offspring of a good family, being the son of Silas and Sarah (Gorham) Henderson, the father, a native of Virginia and the mother of New York State. His paternal grandfather, was born either in Virginia or Maryland, and emigrated to this county about 1824-25, settling in township 16, range 12, and in what is now known as Arcadia Precinct. He had, however, prior to this resided in Ohio for a short time. When coming to Illinois the land in this portion of the State had scarcely been opened for settlement, and was not in the market. Shortly afterward he returned to Ohio to dispose of some property there, when he was taken suddenly ill, and died the eleventh day after his arrival there. He had journeyed the whole of the way from Illinois to Ohio on horseback. After his death his family remained in Illinois, and entered the land when it came into market and about two miles east of which grew up the present village of Arcadia.
After the death of his father, Silas Henderson purchased the interest of the other heirs in the estate, and entering additional land effected further improvements, but finally sold out and removed to the extreme southwest corner of section 31, township 16, range 11, and there lived for the long period of thirty-four years. There also his death took place Aug. 17, 1886. His was the life of the typical pioneer, during which he labored early and late in the building up of his homestead, and at this death left an estate valued at $60,000. He had been a useful man in his community, encouraging its worthy enterprises and shedding around him a healthy moral influence.
Silas Henderson and his estimable wife became the parents of eight children, namely: Francis M., Elizabeth, the wife of Joseph Alderson, of this county; Lucretia J., Mrs. George W. Renshler; Stephen G., of Missouri; Mary e., the wife of Jacob Savel, of Ringgold County, Iowa; Ellen, Mrs. Felix Brown, of Missouri; Henry C., also living in that State; Phebe M., the wife of Charles Craig of Cass County, Mo. These were the children of the first wife. After the death of the mother of our subject Mr. Henderson was married a second time, to Caroline Furrer, and there was born one son, Allen, who is married and a resident of Nodaway County, Mo. He was a Whig during his early manhood, and upon the abandonment of the old party cordially endorsed Republican principles. He voted for Gen. Harrison in 1840. He enjoys a large acquaintance throughout the county, and was noted for his sterling worth and integrity. His first wife, the mother of our subject, was a most estimable lady and a member in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Francis M. Henderson of this sketch spent his boyhood and youth variously employed about the farm, and during the winter season pursued his studies in the typical log school house of the primitive times. During the Civil War he served in the Union army one year, met the enemy in battle at Fredrickstown, Mo., and was engaged in several skirmishes as a member of Company I, 11th Missouri Infantry. Prior to this he had been married Jan. 22, 1863, to Miss Emily Berry. Mrs. Henderson was born in Illinois, and of her union with our subject there are two children - a son and a daughter, Silas M. and Lulu.
Mr. Henderson, following the footsteps of his honored sire, uniformly
votes the straight Republican ticket, and has served as a School Director
in his district for a period of nine years. As an ex-soldier, he belongs
to Chapin Post, G. A. R. in which he is Junior Vice Commander. He is also
identified with the I. O. O. F. at Concord. Of late years he has given
considerable attention to stock growing and has ample means to carry out
his plans and purposes after the most approved modern methods.
WILLIAM D. HENRY, President of the Village Board of Woodson, Postmaster and Justice of the Peace, has been intimately identified with the interests of this county for a period of fifty years. His birthplace was Bourbon County, Ky., and the date thereof March 4, 1835. His father, William D. Henry, Sr., was born in Orange County, Va., in 1789, and departed this life at his home in Illinois, in 1870. The mother, a native of Kentucky, was born in 1804, and died at the old homestead in 1869.
The father of our subject was reared a farmer's boy, and followed this occupation upon the soil both of his native State, and in the Blue Grass regions. Industrious, enterprising and resolute, he accumulated a fine property, and was a citizen of influence wherever he sojourned. Both parents were devout members of the Christian Church. Their family included five sons and four daughters: Charles C., Amanda F., Adelaide, Richard, Jane, Hugh, Elizabeth, Alonzo, and William D., Jr. Our subject was the youngest of the family, and grew up familiar with agricultural pursuits, acquiring his education in the common schools. He remained under the parental roof until a man of twenty-seven years. In the meantime the family had removed to Morgan County, Ill., and after the outbreak of the Rebellion, our subject enlisted as a Union soldier in Company F, 101st Illinois Infantry, being mustered in Aug. 7, 1862 at Jacksonville. He first saw the smoke of battle at Missionary Ridge, subsequently at Resaca, Ga., and Peachtree Creek, and was in the affray at several other points throughout the South. He was promoted to Sergeant, and at the close of the war was mustered out at Springfield, Ill., in June, 1865.
After leaving the army, Mr. Henry emigrated to this county and taught school six months. Next he was employed in the drug store and post office at Murrayville, where he remained until the year 1867. WE next find him engaged in the grocery trade at Jacksonville, but he afterward returned to Murrayville, and established himself in the grocery and dry goods trade. Two years later he came to Woodson, and continued in the grocery trade, being appointed Postmaster in 1883. He is Democratic in politics, and a man whose career has been that which has gained him the esteem and confidence of the community.
Our subject while a resident of Morgan County, began the establishment
of a home by his marriage with Miss Jennie Thresher, the wedding taking
place at the home of the bride at Springfield, Ill., in 1875. Mrs. Henry
was born in 1835, in Illinois, and is the daughter of John and Caroline
(Harney) Thresher, who were natives of Kentucky, and who spent the last
years of their lives in Illinois, the mother passing away in 1883, and
the father in 1884. Their family included six children, all of whom are
living and residing in Illinois and Kansas. Mrs. Henry is the fourth child.
She received careful home training from an excellent mother, and was educated
in the common school. She remained under the home roof until taking charge
of a household of her own. Hugh Henry, a brother of our subject, during
the Civil War was also a member of the 101st Illinois Infantry. He died
of disease at Columbus, Ky., in 1863. Mr. Henry, socially, belongs to the
Masonic fraternity, being a member of the Lodge at Murrayville, and with
his excellent wife, is a member in good standing of the Christian Church.
They have no children.
CHARLES HENRY, D.D.S. This gentleman has the distinguished honor of being the first graduate of his profession to practice in this city. He commenced in the year 1865, and has since enjoyed a very large patronage, which speaks for him the confidence of the citizens in his ability. He is a native of East Woodstock, Conn., and was born in the year 1835 to Erastus and Eliza Henry, both of whom were natives of the Empire State. His father was a manufacturer of farming implements, and followed his trade in Connecticut until the time of his death. The father died in 1860, his wife surviving him some six years.
The subject of this writing is one of five children born to his parents. They were careful to give him what advantages were possible in the direction of education. Until he was seventeen years of age he remained at home, but then left to go to Savannah, Ga. Prior to this journey he had studied dentistry with his brother Erastus in Connecticut, and upon the latter opening an office in Savannah he accompanied him and continued in the business. He remained in Georgia about seven years, all that time following his chosen profession. In 1863 he went to Iowa and settled at Cedar Falls, and remained for about two years; then he came to this place, opened his office and dental parlors and began a business that has been in every way most satisfactory to him.
In the year 1863 Dr. Henry entered the marriage state, taking as the companion of his life Miss Martha M. Cole, the daughter of Jacob Cole of Cedar Falls, Iowa. This happy union has been consummated by the birth of four children, whose names are recorded as follows: Charles C., George E., Mamie B. and Harry E. Mrs. Henry was born in Hunterdon County, N.J., March 28, 1845, and received her education in the Cedar Falls High School, and is in every way most admirably fitted to occupy a high position in society without in any wise detracting from those domestic virtues which have made her the inspiration of her home.
Dr. Henry is one of the representative citizens of Jacksonville. He occupies the position of Director of the First National Bank, and is quite a financier. The Masonic fraternity names him as one of its worthy and esteemed members. He is also affiliated with the State Dental Society. In matters political he is heartily in accord with the platform of the Democratic party, and is numbered among the active working members of the same, of which he has continued an adherent since his coming to mature years. He is a respected member of the City Council, and as such endeavors to serve faithfully those who placed him in that position.
After studying with his brother for several years and also practicing
dentistry for a considerable period upon his own account, the subject of
our sketch entered the College of Dental Surgery of Pennsylvania, and after
taking the regular course of instruction he was graduated in the year 1860,
receiving a diploma that intimated that he was entitled to the degree of
D.D.S., with every privilege to practice as such. He has put this privilege
to the best use, as many of his patrons can fully testify, and has earned
and received not simply the regard and confidence, but the hearty thanks
and gratitude of those who have had occasion to trust themselves in his
hands and employ his skill in their behalf.
JAMES D. HENRY, who si residing on section 17, township 13, range 9, was born in Morgan County, Nov. 6, 1840, and here has spent the greater part of his life. He acquired a common school education and at an early age became familiar with farm pursuits. He is the son of Greenup C. Henry, who was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky, July 30, 1808 and who is the son of a native Tennessean, who removed to the Blue Grass State at an early day.
Mrs. Eleanor (Prather) Henry, the mother of our subject, was born in Kentucky in 1812. After their marriage the parents emigrated to Indiana and in a short time came to Morgan County and located on a tract of wild land from which they built up a farm. There were born to them ten children, five of whom are living, namely: William, John, Mary Ann, Rachel and James D. The father is still living at the old farm and surrounded by all the comforts of life. James D., our subject, after reaching man's estate was married to Miss Margaret McCurley, whose parents came from Alabama. Of this union there were born eight children, namely: George E., William, Peyton, Gussie, Carrie, Gertrude, Eva and Ernest. They are all living at home with their parents.
On the 13th of August, 1862, our subject enlisted in the Union Army,
Company F, 101st Illinois Infantry, under command of Col. Fox and Capt.
George Fanning. He participated in many of the important battles of the
war, acquitting himself as a brave and faithful soldier and at the close
in 1865, without having received any serious injury, was honorably discharged.
He at once returned home and resumed the farm pursuits to which he had
been bred from boyhood. He is now the owner of 373 acres of land, thoroughly
cultivated and improved with good buildings. Mrs. Henry is the owner of
forty acres under a good cultivation. The land is devoted largely to live
stock, cattle, horses and swine, to which is fed a large proportion of
the grain produced upon the farm. Mr. and Mrs. Henry and two of their children
are members in good standing of the Baptist church. Politically Mr. Henry
is a Prohibitionist.
County main page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their