PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
THOMAS GADDIS, a representative farmer and one of the early settlers of township 16, range 16, owns and occupies a well-regulated homestead of 160 acres on section 20. A residence of forty-three years at this place has made him fairly acquainted with the people of this section, who have learned to look upon him as one of the old landmarks and respect him accordingly.
Mr. Gaddis came to Morgan County in 1836 and spent the first ten years northeast of Jacksonville, after which he purchased the farm which he now occupies. It was then a wild prairie without improvement and the labor of bringing it to its present state has been no small task. The whole is enclosed with good fencing and embellished with neat and substantial buildings which, without making pretensions to elegance, shelter a family happy and contented in their home life.
Our subject was born in Davenport Township, Delaware County, N.Y., in 1819, and is the son of Adam and Catherine (McKee) Gaddis, the former a native of County Down, Ireland, and of Scotch-Irish ancestry. The mother was a native of the same country as her husband where they lived until after the birth of two children. Then in the summer of 1801 they sailed for America and took up their abode in Orange County, New York, whence they moved later to Delaware County. The wife and mother died at the age of sixty-three years. Mr. Gaddis lived to be seventy-three and both were members of the Seceders Church.
The subject of this sketch was the seventh in a family of eleven children, eight sons and three daughters, the most of whom lived to mature years and were married. Thomas spent the first twenty-one years of his life in his native county, then came to Illinois and was first married in Morgan County to Miss Sarah McCoy. This lady was born in Ohio, lived some years in Kentucky during the time of Indian troubles and then came to Morgan County while still quite young. After the death of her mother, her father, David McCoy, removed to Warren County and died at about the age of eighty years near the city of Monmouth.
Mrs. Sarah Gaddis became the mother of five children and died at
the homestead when seventy-one years old. She was possessed of all the
Christian virtues and greatly beloved by her family and friends. There
is living only one of her children - David - who married Miss Mary Leonard
and is now a resident of Lancaster County, Nebraska, where he follows mercantile
pursuits. The other four children died young. Mr. Gaddis was married a
second time at Concord, to Mrs. Fanny (Glasscock) Ham; she was born and
reared in Kentucky, where she was married to Mr. Ham with whom she came
to Morgan County and where Mr. Ham died when past middle life, leaving
three children. Mr. and Mrs. Gaddis live quietly in their comfortable home
and have sufficient of this world's goods to provide for them in their
old age. Mrs. Gaddis is a member of the Christian Church and our subject,
politically, belongs to the Democratic party.
JOHN GERMANN, a very intelligent German citizen of township 14, owns and occupies a well-regulated farm of 120 acres, and altogether owns 250 acres of land in this county. The results of industry and perseverance are admirably represented in his career and his surroundings, and being thrown upon his own resources at the beginning, too much credit cannot be awarded him for what he has accomplished. Not only has he surrounded himself and his family with all the comforts of life, but he has fully established himself in the esteem and confidence of his fellow-citizens.
The subject of this notice was the second child in a family of eight children, was born in Dukow, the Prussian Province of Pomerania, Oct. 21, 1834, and is the son of John and Johanna (Beindchnieder) Germann, who were also of German parentage and ancestry, the father a native of the same place as his son. After marriage the parents continued residents of their native place until August, 1868, when, resolving upon a change of residence, in the hope of bettering their condition, they sailed for America, landing in New York City. Thence they went into Erie County, Pa., where they lived six or seven years, and from there came to this county, locating in township 14, range 11, where the father took up land, and thereafter gave his attention exclusively to farming pursuits. He departed this life Jan. 10, 1880. The mother is still living, and has arrived at an advanced age. Their surviving children are located mostly in Illinois.
Our subject was reared to manhood in the Fatherland, and lived there
until reaching his majority, in 1855. That year he set out for America
in advance of any of his family, and from New York City made his way to
Chicago, Ill., where he resided three years, employing himself at whatever
he could find to do. His next removal was to Douglas County, this State,
where he rented a tract of land and sojourned three years. We next find
him in this county, operating on land belonging to the late Jacob Strawn,
which he worked four or five years, and then purchased that which he now
occupies. While a resident of Chicago he was married, Feb. 16, 1855, to
Miss Johanna, daughter of John and Ida (Niendorf) Buchin. Both daughter
and parents were born in the Fatherland, and emigrated to America, the
parents in the summer of 1859, settling in Douglas County, this State;
the daughter had preceded them, coming to Chicago in 1855. The parents
then removed to this county, settling in township 14, range 11, where they
spent their last days, both being deceased. Mrs. Germann was the eldest
of her parents' five children, and was born in Ponnow, Germany, March 6,
1836. She was consequently a young woman of twenty-three years when crossing
the Atlantic. Of her union with our subject there have been born twelve
children, viz.: Sophia, Mary, Anna, John, Lizzie, Caroline, Minnie, Eddie,
Ida, Emma, Hannah and Frances. Mr. Germann, politically, votes with the
Democracy, and with his excellent wife is a member in good standing of
the Lutheran Church. They have a pleasant and comfortable home, and are
universally respected by their neighbors and fellow-citizens.
THE REV. JOHN M. GIBSON is a native of Rutherford County, Tenn., and was born Feb. 3, 1821. He came to Morgan County in 1830, in company with his father, James Gibson. His grandfather was James Gibson, Sr.
The subject of our sketch had two brothers and two sisters - William A., Cullen C., Martha M. and Rebecca M. William married Delila Fanning, of Morgan County; he is a minister of the Dunkard Church; their children are: Charleton, Merriman, Ellen, Hannah, James T., Mary, Lydia and Martin. Cullen C. was married to Nancy J. Dougherty, of Kentucky; he is a minister of the Dunkard Church and has twelve children, as follows: Cirildee, James, John, Charles, Hannah, Sarah, George, Derinda, Isaac, Cullen, Henry and Lizzie. Martha M. married Hezekiah Cain, of Scotland County, Mo.; he is a Baptist minister; they have six children - Sarah, James, William, David, May and Julia. The subject of this sketch married Mary Davidson, who was born in Alabama, Feb. 19, 1829. Her parents Joshua and Elizabeth (Sharp) Davidson, came to Morgan County in April, 1831. Mr. Davidson died in 1844, while Mrs. Davidson lived until July 6, 1876. Mrs. Gibson's ancestry dates back to Germany, Scotland and England. She had seventeen brothers and sisters, seven of whom are living, as follows: David, James, Thomas, Albert, William, Martha, Felitha. David married Rebecca Gibson, sister of the subject of this sketch, who died, leaving one child, Mary, who married Phillip Cox, of Macoupin County; the last named couple had three children - Charles, Ernest and Wilbur. David's second wife was Caroline Gouse, nee Montgomery, by whom he had four children - Belle, Emma, Harvey and Clara. James married Louisa Norville, to whom three children were born - Elmer, Lavina and Melissa. Thomas, who is an orange culturist in Florida, married May Phillips, and has three children - Amy, Annie and James. Albert is a widower, and is living in Missouri. William, who is a school-teacher, married Mary Seymour, of Morgan County, to whom were born four children - Hattie, Allie, Martin and Marvin (twins). Martha married Gideon Jennings, and they are living in the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory; they have eight children - Henry, Granville, Irene, Anamenda, Alice, Susan, Hannah and Charles. Felitha married William McCurley, of Morgan County; they have seven children - John H., Amanda, Alice, Louella, Ezekiel H., Mary and Zeruah.
The subject of our sketch is the father of nine children - John M., Elizabeth, George C., Hannah, James W., Albert D., Mary E., Richard y. and Julia. Of these, John M. married Phoebe Carlyle, of Morgan County; they are now living in Douglas, Kan., on a farm, and have three children - Samuel, John and Mary Ann. Elizabeth married John H. Van Winkle, of Morgan County; he is postmaster at Franklin; they have five children - George, Charles, Albert, Helen and Chester. Hannah married Samuel Carlisle, who is dead; they had three children - Ethel, Earl and Eula. James married Mary Lyons, of Morgan County. Albert married Miss Seymour, of Morgan County. Mary E. married William Duncan, of Franklin, who is a school-teacher; they have four children - Gladys, Glenn, Bruce and Welcome. Richard is single and at home with his father. Julia married Eli O. Mansfield, a miller of Franklin.
John M. Gibson is owner of a splendid farm of 175 acres, with good buildings; he does a general farming business, raising cattle, horses, hogs and grain. He was ordained as minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Oct. 3, 1875, and is a local preacher.
Mr. Gibson, politically, is a Prohibitionist, and is President of
the Franklin Prohibition Club. He is a conscientious man, a good neighbor,
and the world is better for containing such men.
P. G. GILLETT, L. L. D., who since the month of April, 1856, has served so ably and faithfully in the capacity of Superintendent of the Institution for Deaf and Dumb at Jacksonville, is a graduate of the DePaw University of Indiana. His diploma bears the date of the year 1852, and confers the degree A.B. The same institution has since conferred on him the degrees of A.M. and L.L.D. For four years after leaving the University he was employed in the Indiana Institute for the Deaf and Dumb and displayed such ability in this special line of work as to lead to his connection with the Jacksonville Institution. He is acknowledged the most able and competent instructor and administrator the institution has known, and few, if any, can surpass him within the bounds of the Union. The enrollment in the institution at the present time is 570. The corps of teachers numbers thirty-one.
The subject of the writing was born in Madison, Indiana, on the 24 of March, 1833. He is the son of Rev. S. T. and Harriet (Good) Gillett, natives of the states of New York and Ohio, respectively. The parents of our subject are still living. The Gillett family may be traced back to the days of the Hugenots, of which people it had its origin. Representatives thereof settled in Dorchester, Mass. As early as 1630. The father of our subject has been a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church for over fifty years. In early life he was in the service of the United States Navy.
Dr. Gillett was married on the 22d of May, 1854, and became the husband of Miss Ellen M. Phipps. This lady was born in the city of Indianapolis and is a graduate of the Indiana Female College of that city. Her parents, Isaac and Julia (Cully) Phipps, were natives of Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively. There have been born of this union four children, viz.: Harriet, now the wife of Dr. Charles K. Cole, of Helena, Mont.; Charles P., who is his father's assistant in the Institute, and Philip Fred, a student at Illinois College.
Both Doctor and Mrs. Gillett are communicants of the Methodist Episcopal Church, active workers and liberal supporters in connection with the same. The Doctor has twice been a member of the General Conference and a member of the Book Council of the church. For a period of fourteen years he was a member of the International Sunday-school Lesson Committee, and has been President of the International Sunday-school Convention. He is Vice President of the American Sunday-school Union, and was twice President of the Illinois Sunday-school Convention. He is a prominent member of the Beta Theta Pi, which is the largest College fraternity in the world, and he is now President of the Association of Principals and Superintendents of American Institutes for the Deaf and Dumb.
Being so deeply interested and fully occupied in religious, professional
and learned societies Dr. Gillett necessarily has not had opportunity to
take a prominent part in the political arena. He is, however, careful to
be fully conversant with all current questions that concern the interests
of the people and the welfare of the country. In the Masonic fraternity
the Doctor is very popular, and at all times well received. He was the
first Eminent Commander of Hospitaller Commandery No. 32, of the order
of Knights Templar. He has always sustained a worthy reputation in connection
with masonry. He is a man as highly respected as he is widely known. His
personal worth as well as his ability and mental power command the highest
possible regard, and it is freely and heartily accorded him.
CAPT. E. L. GILLHAM, a prominent figure of Scott County, was born near Winchester, Ill., on July 14, 1823, and is a well-to-do farmer, operating 260 acres of land. His father, the Hon. James Gillham, was a native of South Carolina. His grandfather, Isaac Gillham, was a native of the same State, and served through the Revolutionary War. He was wounded in the head and left on the field for dead, but recovered sufficiently to crawl to a house, where he recovered. He removed to this State in the first year of this century, and located on the opposite side of the present location of St. Louis, on what is called the "American Bottoms," where he engaged in stock raising and farming until his death, which occurred in 1847, he being at that time eighty-nine years of age. The Gillhams are of Irish descent.
The father of Capt. Gillham was four years old when he came to Illinois, where he engaged with his father in farming until the War of 1812 began, when he enlisted as an ensign, and served with distinguished bravery for two years. IN 1820 he removed to what is now Scott County, and entered a half section of land, which he improved and operated. When the Black Hawk War broke out he enlisted as Captain of a company, afterward being promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, and as such served until the close of the war. He returned to his farm, which he operated until his death, in May, 1870, when he was seventy-four years old. Col. Gillham held many political offices, among them that of State Senator, serving in the years 1842-43. He was an old-line Democrat, a communicant of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Superintendent of a Sunday-school, and always took great interest in church affairs;, for in the early days his house was always open for worship. His wife, Sarah L. Lofton, was a native of South Carolina, but reared in Kentucky. She died in 1882, at the good old age of eighty-three years. She pinned her faith to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was one of eight that formed the first Methodist class in this section of Illinois, which event occurred in 1821. She was the mother of eight children, three of whom are living: William A., Capt. Gillham and Margaret A. The following are deceased: LeRoy L., Alvira A., Elsie J., Wesley C. and Milton F.
Capt. Gillham was a child of the frontier. The rudiments of his education were received in the old log school-house, whose benches were constructed of slabs, and which contained no window except an aperture in the side of the building. An abundance of wild game in those days abounded, deer in large droves were daily seen, in fact there were "none to molest or make them afraid." The Captain is clearly entitled to the honor of being a pioneer, as he attended the first school-house erected in Morgan County, and there learned the lessons that in after life were so valuable to him. IN 1846 the Mexican War broke out, and Illinois furnished many brave men for the army, and among them was Capt. Gillham. He enlisted in the 1st Illinois Infantry, under Capt. Montgomery and Col. John J. Hardin. His regiment was mustered in at Alton, and was sent South to Texas, from where it marched overland to Mexico. The regiment was engaged in the battle of Buena Vista, under Gen. Taylor's command, It remained at Saltillo until their time had nearly expired, when it proceeded to Monterey, where the regiment was mustered out of service in July, 1847. After the war, and 1848, Capt. Gillham bought 120 acres of land, which he improved and developed into a good farm. Here he employed himself in a general farm business, and was one of the first of Morgan County to engage in breeding thoroughbred live stock, which he continued for a period of twenty-five years, and was very successful. He has added to his farm, and at the time of his enlistment in the Civil War he was in the possession of 240 acres of land.
On Aug. 13, 1862, our subject enlisted, and proceeded immediately to the rendezvous at Pontiac, where, on the 8th day of September, he was mustered into the 129th Illinois Infantry, as the commanding officer of Company F. His regiment was ordered to Louisville, Ky., and from there it went in pursuit of Bragg. The command was in the battle of Bowling Green, after which it was ordered to duty guarding railroads. At Buck Lodge, Tenn., on account of disability, Capt. Gillham was mustered out of service, on May 14, 1863.
After leaving the army Capt. Gillham came home and purchased more land, which added to his old farm, made a place of 500 acres. He has since continued in his old business, and with notable success, that of breeding good cattle. The Captain made an unfortunate move financially when he was persuaded to sink a coal shaft, losing a great deal of money, but he still has a fine farm of 260 acres, and highly improved, with commodious buildings, his house being built of brick, 36x50 feet. He also has a warehouse at Merritt. On the whole Capt. Gillham has one of the best locations in his precinct.
Our subject was married to Miss Elizabeth Becraft, near Jacksonville,
in 1848. His wife is a native of Bourbon County, Ky., and attended school
at Jacksonville. They have four children: James B., Hester A., Sarah E.
and Erastus N. Three of the children are married, while the youngest remains
at home. Capt. Gillham is the oldest native resident of Scott County. He
is a member of the Masonic fraternity, both Blue Lodge and Chapter. He
worships at the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been Class-Leader for
twenty years. He has also been Superintendent of the Sunday-school, Steward
and Trustee, and was largely instrumental in erecting the church building
where he now worships. Politically, he is a Democrat, and has represented
his party in both County and State Conventions. By self culture Capt. Gillham
has become a man of a great deal of general information, and by his neighbors
he is accorded the praise of being a good citizen, which verdict if fully
confirmed by his every day life.
HENRY GOEBEL. The enterprising and progressive German farmer, as well as the self-made man, is admirably represented in the subject of this notice, who is pursuing the even tenor of his way at a good homestead, on section 17, township 16, range 12. The comfortable property which he now enjoys is the result of his own labors, he not having received any financial assistance from any source, but building up his fortune by the labor of his hands and the practice of that frugal economy which always confined the expenses of living to his yearly income.
Our subject first opened his eyes to the light on the other side of the Atlantic, in the Province of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, Oct. 8, 1837, and is the son of John and Christina (Schneider) Goebel, who emigrated to the United States in 1845. Henry was then a lad of eight years, but he remembers many of the incidents of preparation and the voyage, which was made in forty-six days on a sailing vessel from Bremen to Baltimore. The family came direct to Illinois, and located first near the present town of Arenzville, but what was then the wilderness of Cass County. A short time afterward, however, they moved into the village, where the father engaged in brock-making, and where the mother died in 1885. John Goebel departed this life at the home of his son, Henry, June 16, 1887. They were the parents of seven children, but two of whom survive, our subject and his sister Elizabeth, Mrs. Engelbach, a widow, and a resident of Arenzville.
Our subject was reared to man's estate mostly amid the pursuits of farm life, receiving a limited education and doing a large amount of pioneer labor. He was about nineteen years old when he removed with his parents to Mason County, and thirteen years later purchased his father's farm and lived there until 1860. IN the spring of that year he came to the farm which he now owns and occupies. Most of his property - 373 acres - lies in the fertile Meredosia bottoms, and is well improved and valuable. He has a fine residence, which, with its surroundings, forms one of the most attractive homes in this part of the county. Not only has he been industrious, but has managed his affairs with that good judgment which has resulted in very profitable investments, so that he has now a competence for his old age, and can at any time retire from active labor.
Upon becoming a voting citizen, Mr. Goebel identified himself with the Republican party, and is entirely in sympathy with the institutions of his adopted country. He has served as School Trustee for the last six years, and also as Director, and has been Road Commissioner two years. He is one of those men upon whom the community depends to carry out its best projects and endorse the enterprises calculated to advance the interests of the people.
On the 30th of May, 1869, our subject was married in Mason County,
Ill., to Miss Catherine Leippert. This lady was born in Cass County, this
State, July 27, 1850, and is the daughter of Emil and Catherine (Lang)
Leippert, who were natives of Germany, and are now residents of Mason County.
Of the seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Goebel, there are five living
- John, Henry, William, George and Matilda. Mr. Goebel is a member of the
Lutheran Church, and, socially, belongs to Benevolent Lodge No. 52 A.F.
& A.M., at Meredosia. When his father landed in the city of Baltimore
he had just twenty-five cents in money, and the property which he afterward
accumulated in this country stands as a lasting monument to his industry
EDWARD E. GOFF. This young man is quietly pursuing his calling as a practical farmer, in township 16, where he possesses a good farm, which he is constantly improving, and he has excellent prospects of attaining an honorable success in his chosen vocation. He is a native of Illinois, born July 25, 1857, in Menard County, where he was reared and educated, with the exception of three years spent in Jacksonville, where he attended school. He is a son of Murray E. and Lina (Greenwood) Goff, natives of Green County, Ky., the father born in 1818, and who came to Menard County, this State, with their respective parents when they were children. They were there married, and in their pleasant home the following children were born to them: John, a soldier in the late war, died in the service at Paducah, Ky.; Mary married Thomas Dowell, and died in Nodaway County, Mo., leaving a family; Jennie, now Mrs. F. J. Ship, lives in Petersburg, Ill.; Harney W. lives in Menard County; William A. lives in Montana; Mathew L. is a Baptist minister, in Plano, Ill.; Augustus R. is practicing dentistry in Washington, Washington Co., Kan.; Edward is our subject; Ida F. is the wife of Dr. Hall, of Chicago; David A. lives in Petersburg, Ill.; Vickey died at the age of seven years. The beloved wife and mother departed this life July 4, 1879. The father later married Miss Lizzie Inven, and they have one son, Harry. They now make their home in Petersburg.
Edward Goff, of this brief life sketch, early entered upon his career as a farmer, and his farm of eighty acres compares favorably with others in the neighborhood in all points. IN the establishment of a pleasant home that is a cozy, comfortable retreat after a hard day's labor, and an attraction to numerous friends, he has had the cheerful co-operation of one who is the best of wives, and the most tender of mothers to the children that have blessed their union. Her maiden name was Mary E. Owens, a daughter of William C. Owens, of whom see sketch, and their marriage was solemnized in the spring fo 1879. They have had three children - William M., Rolla J., and an infant, of whom two survive.
Mr. Goff is well educated, and possesses sufficient force of character
and steadiness of purpose to make him a reliable, trustworthy citizen and
neighbor, and he is so regarded by his fellow-citizens.
GEORGE E. GOODHEAD, editor and publisher of the Weekly Transcript, at Franklin, was born in the Territory of Dakota, May 5, 1856. His father, Joseph Goodhead, was a native of Vienna, Austria, and a man of finished education. He went through a preparatory course, and was designed for the priesthood, but abandoned that idea. He was the master of eight languages, and could speak and write them fluently. He came to America in 1848, and lived in Milwaukee, Wis., for a short time, and from there removed to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he purchased twenty acres of land which is now in the business portion of that city. He was marred in Milwaukee in 1851, to Elizabeth Auersould, a native of Bohemia.
Mrs. Goodhead's parents resided in Milwaukee where her father died. Her mother is still living in that city. Joseph Goodhead, the father of George, was the father of eleven children, seven of whom are living - Annie, Clara, Fannie, Fred, Estella,, Lillie and George E. Annie is unmarried, and is living in Westport, Jackson Co., Mo.; Clara married Otto Lytle, who is a conductor on the cable line of Kansas City, Mo.; They have two children. Fannie married P. H. Cooper, an engineer at Griggsville, Ill.; they have one child. Fred is unmarried, and lives in Westport; he is an employee on the cable line in Kansas City. Estella, and Lillie are single, and their residence is in Westport; they are engaged in clerking in a dry-goods house in Kansas City.
The subject of this sketch married Mamie LaRue, who is of French descent. Her parents reside at Perry, Ill., where her father Thomas R. LaRue, is engaged in the blacksmithing business. Her mother was Margaret Williams, of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. LaRue are the parents of five children: Gillie, Lizzie, Arretta, John, and the wife of Mr. Goodhead.
Mr. and Mrs. Goodhead have two children living: George Emmet, and
Retta. The subject of this article commenced his career a poor boy. He
went to school for six years, after which he was engaged for three years
as a clerk in a general store. He then began to work in a printing office
at Griggsville, but remained there but a short time, removing to Milton,
Ill., where he labored five winters. He then started business on his own
account at Perry, Ill., in 1880. At the end of two years and a half, all
of his effects were destroyed by fire leaving him with the munificent capital
of thirty-five cents. His pluck and stubborn persistence came to his aid,
and at the end of ten days he was in possession of an entire new outfit,
ready for business which he successfully prosecuted for two years and a
half, when in June 1886 he removed to Franklin, opened an office, and has
remained here since. He is in possession of a nice home, and a good patronage.
He does a general printing business, and is doing well. He prints 585 copies
of the Weekly Transcript, besides a large amount of job work. Mr.
Goodhead is a Democrat of independent proclivities.
JOHN J. GOODPASTURE. Men have come to this county from all points of the compass, and the most of them have possessed those habits of industry and perseverance which have enabled them to build up comfortable homes and become reputable and praiseworthy citizens. Second to none in his township is the subject of this notice, who is pleasantly located on section 21, township 16, range 11, where he has a fine farm of 160 acres and besides this owns eighty-seven acres in another part of the same township. With the exception of five years spent in Nemeha County, Kan., he has resided on this farm since the fall of 1864. Mr. Goodpasture was born in Overton County, Tenn., about 1815, of parents who were natives of Virginia. His father, Abraham Goodpasture, after his marriage settled in the western part of Tennessee where he lived until about 1826, then came to Illinois and took a tract of government land two miles east of the present city of Jacksonville, where he lived until 1838. Then selling out he purchased land in township 16, range 11, where he built up a comfortable homestead and died in 1866, at the age of over eighty years.
The mother of our subject, was in her girlhood Miss Hannah Williard, daughter of William Williard, a Revolutionary soldier who fought at the battle of Yorktown and in many other engagements under Gen. Wayne. He was a favorite with his commander and was one of those selected to assist in the taking of Stony Point. He spent his last years in Illinois. The mother of our subject survived her husband a number of years, and died at the home of her son, John J., in 1882, when quite aged.
The subject of this sketch was a little more than an infant when his parents came to this county, where he has spent nearly his entire life. He was first married to Miss Emily Long, a native of his own State, and who like came with her parents to this county when quite young. She became the mother of three children, and departed this life at the homestead in January, 1849, while in her prime.
The children of this marriage were all daughters; Harriet became the wife of John Alexander, and died in Kansas, leaving one son; Hannah is the widow of B. H. Job, and is also a resident of Kansas; Mary J., is the wife of William Layton, and they reside on a farm in Cloud County, Kan.
Our subject contracted a second marriage with Miss Mahala Rayborn, a native of Tennessee, who came to Illinois in her youth and after the death of her mother. Her father afterward died in Tennessee. Our subject by his present marriage is the father of three children, one of whom, Maggie, died when an interesting young woman. Sarah is the wife of D. K. McCarthy, and they are living on a farm in the same township as our subject; Samuel married Miss Belle Long, and they also occupy a farm not far from the Goodpasture homestead.
Our subject, politically, does not confine himself to party lines,
but aims to support the men whom he considers best qualified to serve the
interests of the people. Aside from filling the office of Justice of the
Peace he has had very little to do with public affairs, preferring to devote
his best efforts to his farming interests. He has one of the pleasantest
homes in the county and one which indicates in a forcible manner the enterprise,
industry and good taste of the proprietor.
GEORGE W. GRAHAM, junior member of the firm of Hysinger & Graham, is with his partners engaged in general merchandising and represents a first-class firm, which enjoys an extensive patronage. They do business on a capital stock of $26,000, and are well known throughout this part of the county, not only for their upright business methods, but as first-class citizens generally. Mr. Graham is a man of more than ordinary abilities - one who, at first glance might seem a little austere, but who upon acquaintance is found to possess fine conversational powers, broad and liberal views, and a large degree of culture.
Our subject, a native of this county, was born in Meredosia Precinct, July 18, 1837, and is the son of Lorenzo D. and Elizabeth (Taylor) Graham, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. He pursued his early studies in the subscription schools, and in the fall of 1855, when a youth of eighteen years, entered McKendree College, in Lebanon, St. Clair County, where he took the scientific course, attending the greater part of three years. He taught some during college vacation, in order to obtain means for his further education, and for several years taught and studied alternately, bearing most of his expenses, although occasionally assisted by his father. He may, however, properly be called a self-educated man, not only in a financial point of view, but by his persevering efforts with his books.
In 1859 Mr. Graham established himself at Meredosia, and in partnership with George Rearick engaged in the drug, grocery, and hardware business, under the firm name of Graham & Rearick. This partnership continued until the death of Mr. Rearick, which occurred in about a year's time. Owing to limited capital Mr. Graham was obliged to close out, and he then resumed teaching. On the 10th of January, 1864, he was married in Meredosia Precinct, this county, to Miss Elizabeth Lusk, who was born in this precinct April 2, 1842, and is the daughter of Hon. Edward Lusk, who at one time represented this district in the Illinois Legislature. Mr. Lusk came to this county as early as 1832, and for a number of years engaged in the dry goods trade at Jacksonville. Later he engaged in steam boating on the Illinois River.
Mr. Graham, after his marriage, changing his occupation somewhat, settled on a farm in this precinct, and engaged in agricultural pursuits until Sept. 18, 1867. He then associated himself with his present partner, and they established their present business. They give employment to three clerks in ordinary seasons, increasing the force when necessary. They began with a capital of $8,000, and have gradually arisen to their present financial standing by strict attention to business and square dealing.
Besides his city interests Mr. Graham is the owner of 524 acres of good land, and a one-third interest in the mercantile business carried on by the firm of Hysinger & Graham, with a silent partner, T. L. Weeks, at Arenzville, Cass County, this State. His enterprise and energy have placed him on a solid footing financially, while the sterling qualities of his character are fully appreciated as a citizen and a member of this community. Mr. Hysinger is a resident of St. Louis, Mo.
To Mr. and Mrs. Graham there have been born nine children, six of whom are living, namely: Augustus G., Flora, Julien, Elma G., Walter, and Lucien. Julien was graduated on the 6th of May, 1889, from the Meredosia High School, and was the valedictorian of his class. Those deceased are Minnie L. and two who died in infancy. Mr. Graham has given his children superior educational advantages, and they are well fitted to take their rightful position as the offspring of s representative citizen.
In politics our subject votes the straight Democratic ticket, but has very little to do with public affairs, his business interests consuming his time and attention. Socially, he belongs to Meredosia Benevolent Lodge No. 52, and is a Royal Arch Mason, identified with Chapter No. 11. In 1887 he was elected President of the Farmers and Traders Bank, organized at Meredosia, which position he holds at the present time. This bank has become an institution indispensable to the people of this region, and its affairs are conducted in that wise manner which has placed it upon a sound basis.
L. D. GRAHAM
L. D. GRAHAM, one of the oldest settlers of section 8, township 16, range 12, is a veteran of eighty three years, having been born Oct. 2, 1806, in Sussex County, Md. His parents were George and Henrietta (Willis) Graham, the father supposed to have been a native of Ireland, and the mother of England. When about eight years old the parents, leaving Maryland, emigrated to Ross County, Ohio, where the subject of this sketch was reared to man's estate.
In Ohio Mr. Graham was first married, Oct. 25, 1827, to Miss Elizabeth Newman, by whom he became the father of seven children. Three of these are living; namely: George W., Elizabeth, the wife of M. F. Andre; and Mattie, the wife of H. F. Hysinger, of St. Louis, Mo. The mother of these children died Dec. 18, 1871. Mr. Graham contracted a second marriage, April 17, 1873, with Mrs. Caroline Looman and of this union there were born three children - Benjamin F., Matilda and Lorenzo C.
In 1829, Mr. Graham, leaving the Buckeye State, came to this county and located on land near the present site of Jacksonville. In 1831, he settled upon his present farm, which was then a wild and uncultivated prairie. He first purchased forty acres from the Government, and the story of the few years which followed, is similar to that of other men, who made their way to the frontier and nerved themselves to endure its hardships and privations. We, of this generation, surrounded by the comforts of life, scarcely realize the struggles our ancestors were compelled to make in order to leave us this goodly inheritance. The first dwelling of Mr. Graham in this county was a round log house, with a clapboard roof and a puncheon floor - although for a time the only floor was simply the mother earth. Their present fine residence was erected in about the year 1855 or 1856. During the early days of his settlement in this county, deer and all kinds of game were plentiful, together with wolves and other wild animals. Mr. Graham was prosperous in his labors as a tiller of the soil and gradually purchased additional land. Of this he has given liberally to his children, and he is yet the owner of nearly 400 acres. This property has been accumulated by his own industry and skillful management, as he commenced in life as a poor boy, with nothing to depend upon but his own resources. He had a limited education, but his habits of thought, reading and observation have resulted in his becoming more than ordinarily well informed. He is a Democrat in his political views, but has meddled very little in public affairs, otherwise than serving as a School Director in his District. The first school organized in his neighborhood was conducted in a cooper shop, without a floor, and lighted largely through the cracks between the boards. It was taught by John Priest. Mr. Graham cast his first Presidential vote for Andrew Jackson. He is the only man who has the original patent for land entered in the western portion of the county, and which has not been transferred from the original entry, he still holding the original claim.
A fine portrait of Mr. Graham is shown on another page of this volume,
and is a valuable addition to a volume which contains many portraits of
old settlers, among whom he is regarded with affectionate interest.
AUSTIN B. GREEN. There is probably no finer farm in township 14, range 10 west, than the Green homestead, which comprises 400 acres of finely cultivated land, improved with a set of substantial frame buildings. Mr. Green, besides being a thorough and skillful agriculturist and a leading stock-raiser, is one of the representative men of this county, one comprising a section of its bone and sinew, and who has in the accumulation of a competence added largely to the wealth and importance of his precinct. The importance of the influence of such men in a community cannot be over-estimated, for his own thrift and enterprise has provided a stimulus to scores around him, who have thus been encouraged to emulate his example.
The subject of this sketch, the fourth child of his parents, was born at the old homestead east of Jacksonville in this county, June 26, 1837, and was reared to manhood on his father's farm. He remained a member of the household until about twenty-four years of age, when he established domestic ties of his own and settled in township 14, range 9, where he sojourned nine years. Thence he removed to his present farm. His education was conducted chiefly in the common school, and his boyhood and youth were spent largely in the lighter employments around the homestead.
On the 12th of February, 1861, occurred the marriage of Austin B. Green and Miss Mary J. Rector, the wedding taking place at the bride's home near Jacksonville. Mrs. Green was born near the homestead where she was married, April 17, 1842, and is the daughter of James S. and Minerva J. (Morton) Rector, the former of whom was born in Fauquier County, Va., and the latter near Jacksonville, this county, April 25, 1824. After their marriage, which occurred at the Morton homestead near Jacksonville, Mr. Rector engaged in farming near the city. In the fall of 1879 they removed to Pettis County, Mo., where the father died, July 14, 1881; the mother is still living and makes her home with our subject. They were the parents of thirteen children, seven daughters and six sons, and Mrs. Green was the eldest born.
The household circle of our subject and his excellent wife was completed by the birth of eight children, viz.: Flora J., Elroy C., James M., Charlie S., Elmer A., Lelia M., Minnie R., and Clark L. They form a bright and interesting group, are receiving careful home-training, and will be given the education suitable to their position in life. Mrs. Green is a very intelligent lady, hospitable, kind and generous, and contributes her full share toward making her home one of the most attractive spots to be found. She is a member in good standing of the Christian Church, and greatly respected wherever known. Our subject, politically, is a decided Republican, but mixes very little with public affairs, holding only the office of School Director in his district.
Stephen Green, the father of our subject, was born in Licking County, Ohio, and when reaching man's estate was married to Miss Cynthia Riggs, who was born in Kentucky, near the Tennessee line. John Green, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Virginia, where he grew to manhood. He was possessed of more than ordinary intelligence, and at an early age began to have his doubts concerning the institution of slavery, and finally, on account of this turned his back upon his native State, and moved into the free State of Ohio. He married a lady of German ancestry, Miss Susanna Winter, and they finally, in 1822, after the birth of several children, including the father of our subject, removed to Illinois, and settled about four miles east of Jacksonville, this county. Grandfather Green occupied himself as an agriculturist mostly, but being a man of deep piety gave largely of his time to the Master's service, officiating as an ordained minister of the Christian Church. Both he and his excellent wife spent the remainder of their days at the homestead which they built up in this county.
On the mother's side of the house Grandfather Scott Riggs was a native of North Carolina, where it is probable he was married, and he removed thence to Tennessee. He was a blacksmith by trade, and, like Grandfather Green, a minister of the Christian Church. About 1824 or 1825 he came with his family to Illinois, settling in what is now Scott County, about fourteen miles west of Jacksonville. He took up his land and there with his excellent wife spent the remainder of his days.
To Stephen and Cynthia (Riggs) Green there were born eight children, five sons and three daughters, all of whom are living. The mother departed this life in Jacksonville, April 16, 1879. Stephen Green survived his wife ten years, passing away at the home of his daughter about five miles northeast of Jacksonville, Jan. 4, 1889.
Col. Joseph Morton, the maternal grandfather of Mrs. Green, was a
prominent man in his day and took an active part in political affairs.
He served two terms in the Illinois State Legislature, and one term as
State Senator. He married a Kentucky lady, Miss Mary O'Dell, and spent
the latter part of his life in Illinois engaged in farming and stock-raising.
In 1830 and 1835 he took the census of Morgan and Scott counties. He became
the owner of a good property, and was widely and favorably known throughout
HORATIO R. GREEN. The subject of this notice first opened his eyes to the light within the limits of this county April 2, 1834, during the period of its early settlement. His early education was conducted in the primitive schools, but later he attended school at Jacksonville, and at the Berean College; and these advantages, in addition to his natural inclination of observing what was going on around him in the world, have contributed to make him an intelligent and well-informed man. He is the offspring of a good family, and occupies no secondary position among the leading men of this part of the State.
Stephen Green, the father of our subject, was born in Ohio, where he lived until a lad of fourteen years. He then came with his parents, John and Susan Green, to Illinois, of which he remained a resident until his decease, Jan. 4, 1889, at the age of eighty years, he having been born in 1808. The mother, whose maiden name was Cynthia Riggs, passed away a number of years prior to the decease of her husband, April 8, 1878. The paternal grandfather of our subject was of Scotch origin, and married a lady of German descent.
To the parents of our subject there were born eight children, all of whom are living. The eldest daughter, Louisa, married John Potts, of Greene County, this State, who is now a retired farmer living in Jacksonville, and doing an extensive business as a dealer in live-stock, mostly thorough-bred Short-horn cattle. Franklin left Illinois about 1850 and went to Oregon, but he is now living in Washington; he married a Missouri lady, and operates a ranch, keeping large numbers of cattle and horses and cattle. Horatio, our subject, was the third child; Austin married Miss Mary Rector, of this county and carries on farming; Elvira married Oliver Culley, of Indiana, who is now a farmer and stock-raiser of this county. Marshall was first married to Miss Anna Dolby, who died leaving three children - Frank, Nathan, and Alice; he was then married to Miss Lizzie Wagoner, of this county, where they reside on a farm. Oliver married Miss Mattie Cheeney, and is connected with the stock-yards of Kansas City, Mo.; they have one child, Mamie. Cynthia is unmarried, and lives in Jacksonville.
The subject of this biography was married in 1863, to Miss Mary O'Neal, who was born April 13, 1838, in this county, and who died Dec. 24, 1884. The seven children born of this union are all living. They were names respectively: Edward O., Laura J., Thomas S., Amy R., Effie M., Scott B., and Mary E. Thomas is a student of the university at Champaign, and Amy R. is attending the Female Seminary at Jacksonville; the other children are at home with their father. The O'Neal family were of Irish descent, and came to Illinois from Kentucky.
At the time the father of our subject came to this county it was very thinly settled, he being among its earliest pioneers. HE took up eighty acres of Government land, and was greatly prospered in his labors as a tiller of the soil. At the time of his decease he was the owner of 535 acres, all improved and in a good state of cultivation. Besides this he owned a $12,000 home in Jacksonville. He was a man benevolent, kind, and hospitable, with an open hand to aid the poor and unfortunate, and was one of the pillars of the Christian Church. Originally a Whig, politically, he later joined the Republican party, and was recognized by his fellow-citizens as one of the most useful members of his community.
Mr. Green, our subject, owns, besides his homestead of 200 acres, 335 acres of which he farms a part, and rents a part for pasture. He has good buildings at the home place, and all the conveniences of modern country life. He keeps a goodly assortment of live-stock - horses, cattle, and swine - and avails himself of modern methods, and the latest improved machinery in carrying on his far. Politically, like his honored father, he votes the straight Republican ticket, but is not a member of any church. Mrs. Green belonged to the Presbyterian Church, at Jacksonville. Mr. Green, aside from serving as School Director in his district, has had very little to do with public affairs, but is a member of the Anti-Horse Thief Association at Jacksonville.
The mother of Mrs. Green died when she was an infant, but the father
lived until a few years ago. The parental household included eight children,
of whom only three are living: Melvina married James Clark, an architect
of this county, and they are living in San Francisco, Cal.; Ruth is the
wife of Dwight Graves, a farmer and stockman of this county; They have
three children - Thomas, William, and Charles. Bryant married Miss Mary
Arrt, of this county, and they live on a farm in Iowa.
JOHN W. GREEN. This honored pioneer of Scott County has been successful in accumulating a fine property, being the owner of 560 acres of good farming land, with a residence finely located on the banks of Mauvaisterre Creek. The dwelling, with is surroundings, its well-kept grounds and its air of comfort and plenty, presents a very inviting spot to the weary traveler, under whose hospitable roof he frequently finds rest and refreshment. Mr. Green is one of the oldest living residents of this section, and while engaged in the building up of his homestead, also established himself in the esteem and confidence of his fellow-citizens.
Of excellent English ancestry, our subject, who was born in Bluffs Precinct, this county, Jan. 7, 1834, is the son of Benjamin Green, who was born in Yorkshire, England, Jan. 7, 1800. The paternal grandfather, John Green, a substantial English yeoman, owned a large farm in Yorkshire, and served for several years in the English army as a lieutenant. Benjamin Green, in 1829, emigrated to America, and coming directly to this county, entered a tract of land from the government, and also purchased school land in Bluffs Precinct. He was greatly prospered, and in due time became the owner of 45 acres, which at the time of his death, in June, 1882, was all under a fine state of cultivation and supplied with good buildings. The father of our subject was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics a stanch Republican. He embraced religion at the early age of fifteen years, and was one of the pillars of the church at Naples, which he assisted in organizing. He officiated as Class-Leader a number of years, and at the time of his decease was a Steward and Trustee. He donated largely to the maintenance of the society and the building of the church edifice.
Mrs. Hannah (White) Green, the mother of our subject, was born in Lincolnshire, England, which was also the birthplace of her father. She came to America with her husband and died in 1851, at the age of fifty-one years. The parental household included eight children, five of whom lived to years of maturity. Mary, Mrs. Woodman, is a resident of Jacksonville, this State; Annie, Mrs. Chance, lives at Bluffs; John W., our subject, was the next in order of birth; Elizabeth, Mrs. Merras, lives at Bluffs; William died when twenty-three years old. He, during the civil war, enlisted in Company I, 129th Illinois Infantry was mustered in at Decatur, took part in many important battles, and died at Mitchellville, Tenn., in 1863.
John W. Green pursued his early studies in the district school, and remained under the parental roof until twenty years old. IN 1854 he purchased the land comprising his present homestead, and which was then in its primitive condition, without any improvements whatever. He entered at once upon the task before him, and, in the course of a few years, found himself on solid ground. He purchase land adjoining, until at one time he was the owner of 1000 acres in one body. He put up a $6000 residence, and besides general farming, engaged in stock-raising, threshing and saw-milling, and from all these resources realized a handsome income.
In 1886 Mr. Green sold off 320 and 120 acres of his land and retired from active labor. Many and great have been the changes he has witnessed since coming to this county, where he set foot when wild game of all kinds was plentiful, and he often saw as many as twelve deer in one herd. Wolves also howled around the cabin door at night, and there was plenty of wild turkeys and other game, which afforded the settlers many a rare meal. Mr. Green set out fruit and forest trees, orchards of peach, apples and the small fruits, and constructed a fish pond, which he stocked with a choice variety of the finny tribe. He made a specialty of full-blooded Poland-China swine, and bought and fed cattle in large numbers, shipping usually two cars each year. He kept draft horses to the number of twenty head usually, and employed five teams in operating the farm. He is still the owner of the full-blooded Clyde Stallion, Prince, a magnificent animal who pulls down the scales at 1700 pounds.
The 29th of October, 1854, witnessed the marriage of our subject at Bluffs with Miss Margaret Jane Ohler. Mrs. Green was born in Adams County, Pa., and came to Illinois with her parents when quite young, they settling on land in Bluffs Precinct. She remained a member of her father's household until her marriage with our subject, and of this union there have been born six children. The eldest, a daughter, Margaret, is the wife of W. G. Pine, a farmer of Oxville Precinct, and they have five children: Harry, William, John, Grant and Ross. Ann is the wife of Eli McLaughlin, a farmer of Winchester Precinct, and they have six children - Harvey, Mabel, Flo, Janey, Claude and Carrie; Benjamin, a grain-buyer of Riggston, this county, is married and has one boy - John; William, Carrie and Harvey are at home with their parents. William took kindly to his books, studied in different colleges, and now follows the profession of a teacher; he is also the assessor of township 15, range 13 - a fine, jolly lad who is a favorite of all.
Mr. Green politically, is a stanch Republican, and has been quite
prominent in the councils of his party, frequently representing it in the
county conventions. He has served as County commissioner and School Director;
was Township Trustee a period of fifteen years, and is now President of
the Board. He has also served on the Grand and Petit juries. He was at
one time connected with both the I.O.O.F. and the Masonic fraternity. He
is a very active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Naples, to
which he contributes a liberal and cheerful support, has served as Steward
and Trustee, and has been Sunday School Superintendent.
MARSHALL W. GREEN is a native of Morgan County, and first saw the light on April 5, 1842. He is the possessor of a good business education, having attended the Business College in Jacksonville, under the management of Prof. Crampton.
Stephen Green, the father of Marshall W., was a native of Knox County, Ohio, and was born May 15, 1808. He emigrated to Morgan County when he was twelve or fourteen years of age. His death occurred in 1888. When he came to this county there was but one home in Jacksonville, and there was then little prospect for the upbuilding of a bustling, thriving city which it has since become. He entered land four miles north of the then embryo city, just after his reaching the age of twenty-one. He owned 535 acres of land, as good as ever the sun shone upon. He also owned a residence in Jacksonville for which he paid $12,000, was a large owner of bank stock, and a cattle dealer of prominence. His wife, whose maiden name was Cynthia Riggs, was from Tennessee, and her father, Scott Riggs, was born in North Carolina. Our subject's father was one of ten children, three of whom are living, William, Nanca and Susan. William married Sophronia Follio and lives in Chicago; Susan married John P. Henderson of Jacksonville who had seven children: John, William, Harvey, Susan, Laura, Mary and Fannie. Of these, John is a lawyer and lives in Carrollton, Ill.; William married Nealie Roberts, and is now living in Winchester, Ill.; Harvey is a telegraph operator and is married. Susan married George Hogeland, and lives in New York City. Nanca, now Mrs. Washington Armstrong, lives in LaSalle County, Ill.
The subject of this sketch had seven brothers and sisters, a record of whom follows. Their names were: Louisa M., Franklin M., Horatio R., Austin B., Alvira J., Oliver S., and Cynthia A. Louisa married John Potts of Jacksonville who is a farmer and breeder of Short-horn cattle; Franklin W. is the owner of a cattle ranch in Washington, where he was married; Horatio R. married Mary O'Neal of Morgan County, and is engaged in farming; they have seven children, viz: Edward, Laura, Thomas, Amy, Effie, Scott and Nellie; Austin B. married Mary Reeter, of Morgan County. He is engaged in farming, and has eight children, as follows: Nettie, Clifton, James, Charles, Leona, Elnore, Minnie and Clark. Alvira married Oliver Culley, and lives in Morgan County also. They have seven children: Clara, Charles, Homer, Lena, Edgar, Eva and Howard; Oliver S. married Mattie Cheeney of Morgan County, and is engaged in business at the stock yards, Kansas City, Mo.; they have one child, Mamie. Cynthia A. is single and living in this county. Our subject's first wife was Anna Dalby of New Castle, Del., to whom three children were born; Frank, Nathan, and Alice. His present wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Waggoner was born in Perry County, Pa., Nov. 3, 1813. She emigrated with her parents to Morgan County, and was married Oct. 17, 1878.
Marshall W. Green enlisted as a volunteer in the late war in Company K, 101st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Aug. 22d 1862. On the 26th of November following he was sent from Jacksonville to Columbus Ky., whence he stared on the march to Holly Springs, where he did garrison duty, guarding Rebel prisoners. He was taken prisoner and paroled, then sent to Memphis, Tenn., and from there he went to St. Louis, Mo. This was in June, 1863. He joined his regiment afterward at Union City, Tenn. He was in the midnight fight at Wahatchie, and also Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Tenn., Kelly's Ferry, Snake Creek Gap, Kennesaw Mountains, Pine Mountain, Peachtree Creek, Atlanta and numerous skirmishes. He also went with Sherman on his march to the sea. All of which constitutes a brilliant record.
Mr. Green is the owner of a splendid farm of 210 acres, upon which
the best of buildings are erected. He does a general farming business,
and is a dealer in horses, hogs and grain. In politics he is a sound Republican,
and socially he belongs to Post 378, G. A. R. at Jacksonville.
JAMES GUINNANE, a representative pioneer and farmer of Morgan County, and residing on section 11, township 15, range 12, is a native of County Tipperary, Ireland, and was born in the year 1829. He was a son of Martin and Bridget Guinnane, both natives of Ireland.
One reason why the population of the United States contains so large a per cent of foreign born citizens, is because of the oppressive laws of many of the European countries. While an Irishman loves his native isle with all the impulsive characteristics of his race, the system of landlordism and tennantry in that country for many years has been so manifestly unjust and cruelly oppressive, as to compel thousands to leave the scenes of their childhood, the graves of their fathers and all they hold dear in this life, to seek relief in a free land. America has become the asylum for a greater portion of this class of people, and when once here and becoming accustomed to the ways of the country, they have, as a rule, become good law-abiding citizens. There are no anarchists among the natives of Ireland, but they love this country and its laws, and when treason threatened our land with destruction, there was no class of foreigners who sprang quicker or with more enthusiasm to the relief of the stars and stripes, than did the Irish.
James Guinnane was the oldest son in his family, and was reared to agricultural pursuits. His education was limited, for in his native country the persons who received an education, and were poor, were the exception, not the rule. The advantages in Ireland for gaining knowledge were even more limited than in the pioneer days of America. But Mr. Guinnane has been a close observer and by reading, has become a self-educated man. His emigration to America occurred in the fall of 1847, and his voyage across the ocean occupied forty days on a sailing vessel. HE landed in New Orleans, where he remained nearly one year, working most of the time in a livery stable. In the fall of 1848 he came to Beardstown, Ill., where he spent the following winter, and in the succeeding spring, he located in Morgan County, where he has resided since. He settled on his present farm in 1852, and his original purchase consisted of 136 acres of land which was then in an uncultivated condition, but by his native industry and good management, he has succeeded in converting it into a good farm. By subsequent purchases he has increased his acreage until now his farm consists of about 325 acres of land in Morgan and Scott counties, and it is said that his place is one of the best improved in Bethel Precinct. It goes without saying that the owner is a model farmer in every way.
Mr. Guinnane was married twice. His first wife was Sarah Gleason,
by whom he had five children. Three of these are living: John, Mary and
Margaret. His second wife's maiden name was Annie Gleason, who bore him
six children of whom the following are living: Ellen, Martin, Sarah J.
and James. Mr. Guinnane is a member of the Catholic Church at Jacksonville,
and for several years has been a School Director, and was lately re-elected.
In 1877 he was a candidate for the office of County Commissioner, but was
defeated by his opponent Mr. Lawler of Meredosia. He has a large and extended
acquaintance in the county, and possesses the esteem and confidence of
all who know him, and as a good citizen, there are none who stand higher
County main page