PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
ROBERT L. CALDWELL, a pioneer settler of this county and one of its most prominent farmers and stock-raisers, came to this region as early as 1830, and has been the interested witness of its growth and progress for a period of nearly sixty years. The story of changes which he has witnessed, if properly related, would fill a good sized volume, and not much less wonderful than his long residence here, is the fact that all this time he has lived on the same farm, which comprises land secured by his father, David B. Caldwell, and where the latter spent his last days, after having expended a great amount of labor in bringing the land to a good state of cultivation and building up a comfortable homestead.
David B. Caldwell, who departed this life in 1852, was afflicted with blindness for seventeen long years prior to his decease. He was born in Pennsylvania and came of a good family - old Scotch Presbyterian stock, who crossed the Atlantic at an early day. His parents finally left Pennsylvania and removed to Kentucky, where David B., spent his boyhood days, not far from the town of Carlisle; there his parents passed away and there he attained to his majority and was first married to a Kentucky lady, who died and left two children. His second wife, the mother of our subject, Mrs. Nancy (Hudleson) Crawford, was born in Ireland and came to the United States with her parents in her girlhood. They located in Pennsylvania, where it is supposed that she was married to Mr. Crawford, who died in Kentucy, leaving her with one child.
After his second marriage, the father of our subject settled on a farm near Carlisle, Ky., where his four sons and two daughters were born and of whom our subject is the youngest, his birth occurring Nov. 13, 1828. He was but two years old when his parents decided to try their fortunes among the prairies of Central Illinois. They came to this county with very little means, but well provided with courage and industry the result of which was shown in the success with which they built up their homestead and gathered about them all the comforts of life. Mrs. Caldwell survived her husband a number of years, dying at the old home April 11, 1874, at the advanced age of eighty-two. She, like her husband was an active member of the Presbyterian Church.
The subject of this sketch was at an early age trained to habits of industry, and began to assist his parents around the farm, receiving very limited educational advantages. Soon after becoming of age he was married in the township where he now lives, Dec. 16, 1852, to Miss Juliet Smith. This lady was born in Indiana, April 16, 1837, and is the daughter of William R. and Eliza (Carlock) Smith, who are now deceased. The father was born July 12, 1805, in Erie County, Pa., and died at the homestead in township 15, range 11, Aug. 7, 1877. The mother was born March 21, 1814, in Kentucky, and departed this life Oct. 22, 1860, at the homestead in this county. Both were members of the Protestant Methodist Church. Their family comprised five daughters and three sons, of whom Mrs. Caldwell was the eldest born and all but herself are natives of this county.
To our subject and his estimable wife there have bene born twelve
children, three of whom - Robert E., Mattie B., and Ezra N. died young.
The survivors are Nancy M. at home; Samuel W., who married Sallie Hamilton,
and lives near Orleans, this county; James H., who married Kate Pfiel,
and who follows the profession of engineer at Jacksonville; Eliza S. the
wife of Lewis Wilson, a farmer of Wyoming, Territory; Edwin G., George
A., Lewis W., Charles R., and Effie M., at home with their parents. Mr.
Caldwell, politically, is identified with the National Greenbackers, and
both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in
which Mr. Caldwell, officiates as Steward and Trustee. Otherwise than serving
as Justice of the Peace, he has carefully avoided the responsibilities
MRS. MARY L. CALLAWAY (THOMPSON) is one of the oldest pioneers of this part of the county. She is a native of Ohio, and was born in Hamilton County, Jan. 20, 1821. Should a history of this country ever be written that treats entirely of the heroes and heroines of America, there are none who will reach higher than the pioneer mother. Her sufferings were far deeper than those of the husband, and the hardships that she underwent were of that peculiar kind that deserve special mention of the historian. She reared her children, made their clothing from the raw wool, and administered to their wants in sickness with the means that she had at her command. In the early days medical supplies were difficult to procure, and often times the physician lived miles away. It was then that the skill, fortitude, and love of the mother came into requisition. While the husband has always received the most of the praise for settling up a vast empire of wild undeveloped country, it can be truly said that his wife is entitled to as much, and in some cases more praise than himself.
Mrs. Callaway was the daughter of Ira and Margaret (Wells) Thompson. Her paternal ancestry is said to be Welsh. When she was about one year of age, she came with her parents to Illinois, and for a time resided near Vincennes, and subsequently removed with her father and mother to Greene County, Ill., and there she was reared to womanhood. Her mother died in Bethel while her father's life ended on a steamboat between St. Louisa and New Orleans. In those days it was the custom of the farmers to club together and take their produce down the streams to market, using for that purpose flatboats and steamboats. The early settlers of Morgan County utilized the Illinois and Mississippi rivers for water-ways. It will be remembered that Abraham Lincoln, one of the most distinguished pioneers of Illinois, was at one time engaged in the business of a flat-boatman, and that he was a good one, no one doubts. The boats were built in a rough manner and when the market was reached, the lumber of which they were constructed was sold and the farmers made their way back home on steamboats with the supplies they had bought. The market in the early days was generally New Orleans or St. Louis, and it was on one of these trips that Mr. Thompson died. When about twenty-one years old, Mrs. Callaway came to Morgan County with her mother and two brothers, and on Feb. 1, 1841 she was married to Samuel Callaway. He was born in Bourbon County, Ky., on Aug. 24, 1814. He was the son of John and Nellie (Robins) Callaway, both natives of Delaware. He spent his boyhood days in Kentucky, and came to morgan County, early in the thirties, and here he resided until his death, which occurred May 17, 1883. He was the father of four children, one of whom is living, Lewis H. who is at present on the home farm. The three deceased are as follows: Samuel H. died at Camp Butler, during the war; John R. and Levi died while young. Mr. Callaway served as School Director, and although fitted for office, he was never a seeker after one. When he died he left his widow in comfortable circumstances, and well rounded out a busy life. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, where his wife also worships. Politically he was a Republican.
Mrs. Callaway is spending her latter days in a retired manner and
is surrounded by all the comforts of life which her early privations entitle
her to, and she enjoys the profound respect of all her neighbors and acquaintances.
WILLIAM M. CALVERD, hotel proprietor at Franklin, is a decided favorite with the traveling public on account of his uniform courteous treatment of his guests, and the natural qualities of character which stamp him as a gentleman, acknowledged as such by all with whom he comes in contact. He is a native of Illinois, and was born in Macoupin County, April 20, 1850. He acquired his education in the district schools, giving good attention to his studies, and is thoroughly well informed. Politically, he supports the principles of the Democratic party, and socially belongs to the Modern Woodmen. In religious matters both he and his estimable wife are connected with the Baptist Church.
The father of our subject was William J. Calverd, a native of Kentucky, who came to Macoupin County, this State, poor in pocket, and for five years thereafter was employed as a farm laborer. He married Miss Sarah C. Parker and finally came to this county, where he became owner of a good farm, which he built up from a tract of wild land, and which he occupied five years. Then selling out he removed to Jersey County, and engaged in the manufacture of wagons and carriages. Finally, however, with a desire for the quiet of country life, he secured another farm and upon it spent the remainder of his days, passing away on the 2d of April, 1879. The mother is still living and a resident of Medora, Macoupin County. Her father was Joel Parker, of Kentucky.
To the parents of our subject there were born eleven children, two of whom are deceased. Henrietta married Aaron Arkman, of Pennsylvania. He is a harnessmaker, and they live in Macoupin County, this State; Andrew, a wagon_maker by trade, married Miss Kate Stanton, and lives in Medora; Charles married Miss Mattie Sublett, of this county; he is a barber, and they live in Litchfield; Malinda is the wife of James Owens, who operates an extensive ranche in Colorado; Mark also lives in Colorado; Harry is a resident of Kansas; Thomas and Sally live in Medora. These are unmarried.
Our subject, in 1871, was married to Miss Frances Warmouth, of Morgan County, Ky. Her parents removed at an early day from the Blue Grass State to Indiana and from there to Knox County, Mo., where they are now living on a farm. Their six children are recorded as follows: Lucinda married Phillip Stultz, a farmer, and they live in Shelby County, Mo.; they have six children. Thomas married Molly Elliott and lives in Missouri; Annie is the wife of Sheldon Davis, of Kentucky, and they live in Henry County, Mo.; Ellen is unmarried and makes her home with her sister, Mrs. Calverd. The mother of Mrs. Calverd died Feb. 2, 1885, in Missouri.
Mr. and Mrs. Calverd, after their marriage, lived on a farm in Missouri
for three years, and then Mr. Calverd resumed his trade of a carpenter,
which he followed thereafter almost uninterruptedly for a period of fourteen
years. In 1886 he established himself as an hotel_keeper at Medora, but
on the 1st of February, 1888, having come to Franklin, opened the house
which he is now conducting and wherein he is doing a good business. It
is the leading establishment of its kind in the village, and the traveler
who once takes refuge under its hospitable roof will be sure to repeat
the experiment when traveling this way a second time. One daughter, Ida,
born April 11, 1874, completes the household circle of our subject and
wife, and is now an interesting girl on the threshold of womanhood.
JACKSON CARPENTER, a retired miller and prominent resident of Oxville, has been largely identified with educational matters in Scott County, and served for some five years as County Superintendent of Schools. He is now a Justice of the Peace, which office he has held for a long period. He is a man of excellent education, strong constitution, and one of those substantial members of the community which form the bone and sinew of the social fabric. He has been accompanied for a long distance on the journey of life by a most estimable lady, refined and intelligent, and one who has uniformly been the supporter and encourager of her husband in all his worthy efforts.
Mr. Carpenter has met with his reverses like most men, and at one time lost a large amount of property, but is mostly recovered from the disaster, and now occupies a pleasant and comfortable home in the east part of town, with everything around him to make life desirable. A native of Cass County, Mich., he was born on Christian Creek, March 7, 1831, and is the son of David B. Carpenter, who was born in Virginia in 1794. His paternal grandfather, the Rev. John Carpenter, of Virginia removed to Indiana during its pioneer days, and settling in Elkhart County, engaged in farming and milling. Finally he removed to Goshen, and during his later years officiated as a local preacher.
The paternal great_grandfather of our subject was Nicholas Carpenter, a native of Germany, who emigrated to America during the Colonial days, settled in Virginia, and was murdered by the Indian Chief Tecumseh, while driving cattle across the mountains. He had accumulated a good property. His father was a native of Germany, but removed to England, where he died. The father of our subject was born in Ohio, and like his honored sire, was a miller by trade. He left the Buckeye State at an early day, and journeyed overland to Cass County, Mich., where he took up Government land, built a mill, and operated this latter until his removal to Elkhart County, Ind. There also he carried on farming and milling, and became well_to_do. In 1856 he sold out and came to Scott County, this State, locating in Oxville Precinct, where he purchased 240 acres of land, upon which he operated until 1869. Then, pushing still further westward, he took up his abode near Virgil City, Mo., where he farmed for a time, but finally retired from active labor. He lived to a ripe old age, and was gathered to his fathers in 1886. He was a man of iron constitution and unbounded energy, possessing decided views both upon social and political questions. In politics, he was a conscientious Democrat, and in religious matters, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His mother was a Miss S. Wolfe, and her mother, a Miss Austin, a relative of Moses Austin, of Texas.
Mrs. Elizabeth (Tongue) Carpenter, mother of our subject, was born in Miami County, Ohio, and was the daughter of John Tongue, who removed to St. Joseph County, Ind., and from there later to a point near Oscaloosa. He was a farmer by occupation, and of Scotch descent. Mrs. Carpenter died in Missouri at the age of seventy_six years. The parental family included four children, all of whom are living, viz: John A., of Crawfordville, Ind.; Jackson, our subject; Sarah, of Niles, Mich.; and Elizabeth, of Missouri.
Mr. Carpenter spent his boyhood and youth at his father's farm in Indiana, being two years old when taken there by his parents. He pursued his first studies in the district school, then attended the High school at South Bend three years, and was graduated. Then, returning to the farm, he occupied himself in agriculture and milling, with which latter business he has been especially familiar from a boy up. In 1856 he came to Illinois overland with a team, and established himself in the dry_goods business of Oxville. After three years he sold out, and erecting a large steam mill, purchased grain, which he ground and shipped in large quantities to St. Louis and Chicago. He also shipped grain from Naples, and was exceedingly prosperous until the financial crash of 1868, which proved very disastrous to him, as well as to hundreds of others. Mr. Carpenter now resumed farming in Oxville Precinct, and became quite prominent in local affairs, serving in many positions of trust and responsibility besides those already mentioned. On the 11th of November, 1858, he was married to Miss Frances M. Sherwood, a native of Indiana, the daughter of Samuel Sherwood, of Maryland. Mr. Sherwood was a farmer and carpenter, and removed from Indiana to Kentucky, where he operated a large tract of land until 1843. That year he came to Illinois and located in the vicinity of Oxville, where his death took place Jan. 8, 1845. He was the son of John Sherwood, likewise a native of Maryland, from which he removed to Fleming County, Ky., where he had a large estate and was a slave_holder. Mrs. Carpenter was one of three children born to her parents, all daughters, the eldest of whom, Rebecca J., died when eighteen years old; the younger daughter, Susan B., in a resident of Oxville, and now Mrs. John K. White.
The wife of our subject was born in Clark County, Ind., Feb. 24,
1841, and was a two years of age when her parents came to Illinois. She
studied her first lessons in the primitive log school_house, and completed
her education in Oxville, remaining with her parents until her marriage.
Of her union with our subject there have been born two sons only: John
A., who formerly taught school, and is now a merchant of Oxville, and Eugene
S. Our subject is a Democrat, politically, and has held the offices of
Township Trustee and County Superintendent, and also served on the Grand
and Petit Juries. He is one of those solid men who have borne no unimportant
part in the building up of their community, and has given his moral and
substantial support to all measures calculated to elevate society and benefit
HENRY FROST CARRIEL, M.D., Superintendent and Physician of the Illinois Central Hospital for the Insane, at Jacksonville, is a man remarkable in many respects, and seems both by nature and education admirably adapted to discharge in a proper manner the duties of his responsible position. His office is no sinecure, as anyone at all acquainted with its peculiar duties may readily understand, and he has brought to it that tact, patience and intelligence so necessary to a proper treatment of an unfortunate class of people. He is recognized both by the citizens of Central Illinois and his brethren of the medical fraternity, as being the right man in the right place.
The subject of this notice was born in Charleston, N. H., Aug. 20, 1830, and at an early age was graduated from one of the academic institutions of his native State. Soon afterward he began the study of medicine at Springfield, Vt., and in the spring of 1857 was graduated with honor from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York City. Such had been his close application to his books, and his habit of observation was so thorough and concentrated, that, immediately upon leaving college, he was appointed Attendant Physician at the New Jersey State Lunatic Asylum, located at Trenton, and which position he held until the summer of 1870.
Dr. Carriel at an early period in his life became deeply interested in the treatment of insanity and determined to make it a specialty. With this end in view he spent nearly the whole year of 1860 among the insane hospitals of England, Ireland, Scotland, and France. In July, 1870, he entered upon the duties of his resent position. At that time this was the only asylum for the insane in the State, and it contained 450 patients. It has now under its fostering care 930 patients, while there are scattered throughout the State four other institutions for the treatment of this peculiar and rapidly increasing malady.
While a resident of New Jersey Dr. Carriel was married, May 6, 1862, to Miss Mary K. Buttolph, daughter of the then Superintendent of the New Jersey State Insane Asylum. Mrs. Carriel died in 1873, leaving three sons: The eldest, Harry B., is practicing medicine in Chicago, Ill.; Horace A. runs a cattle ranch in Texas; and Frank B. is a student at Jacksonville. The Doctor contracted a second marriage in 1875, with Miss Mary L. Turner, daughter of Professor J. B. turner, of Jacksonville. Both he and Mrs. Carriel are members of the Presbyterian Church.
In his reading and researches Dr. Carriel reports that among the
insane of this State the sexes are about equally divided. Educated people
are less liable to insanity than are the uneducated. The fact that insanity
is on the increase is attributed largely to the foreign population, which
comprises nineteen percent of the whole, while among the insane forty-five
per cent are of foreign birth. Of the large number of patients at Jacksonville
not over 100 are thought to be curable. Dr. Carriel, who has no superior
in the treatment of this disease, estimates that recent cases of insanity
are largely curable. If taken in hand within three months from its development,
seventy per cent are curable. If allowed to run six months, the per cent,
would be reduced to fifty. If allowed to run twelve months, not to exceed
twenty-five percent could be cured, and if two years intervene the case
may be classed as wholly incurable.
FRANCIS CASTLEDINE. Among the old and much valued citizens of Morgan County must be mentioned the gentleman whose biography is here sketched, at present residing at Chapin. He is a native of Lincolnshire, England, where he was born on the 17th of November, 1823, to John and Mary Castledine. He was reared to the years of manhood in his native country, and received a somewhat rudimentary education, after which he devoted himself to farming, which occupation he has followed the greater part of his life. For about one year he drove a stage_coach in England.
The subject of our sketch emigrated to America in 1851, taking passage on a sailing_vessel at Liverpool. The ocean trip lasted for about twenty_eight days, and provided much food for thought, as the wonders of Neptune's empire were presented for the first time. Landing in New York City, he came direct to New Albany, Ind., and there remained for a few months, when he came to Scott County, Ill., and worked for two years and one month as a farm hand, for Thomas Coultas, after which he came to Morgan County and bought a farm of eighty_three acres on section 11, near Chapin. Subsequently he purchased an additional seventy acres on section 9, township 15, range 12, making in all 150 acres which he still owns, all of good and improved land.
Mr. Chapin was first married on the 22d of December, 1853, when he was united with Mary A. Coultas. To them were born two children, Sarah J., and John F., both of whom are deceased. The distressing feature of their death, was perhaps, that both died within an hour of each other in October, 1885, the cause of death being malarial fever. Their mother died on the 17th of May, 1860. On the 3d of January, 1865, our subject was married the second time, the lady being Mary Middleton, born on the 10th of May, 1835. She is the daughter of Richard and Martha Middleton. In 1860 she emigrated to this country from England, the land of her nativity, and came direct to Illinois and continued to make her home in Scott County for about four years. At the end of that period she came to Morgan County, where she has resided ever since.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Castledine are identified with the Methodist Episcopal
Church, our subject being one of the church Stewards for many years. Both
are now in the declining years of life, and their westerning sun casts
its rays over the pathway of lives well spent, and filled with deeds that
have won for them the highest regard and esteem of all who know them. Our
subject has served in the office of Road Supervisor for a number of years,
and also as School Director. He has always been a true citizen, and, as
becomes a pioneer, a man filled with that spirit which elevates the interest
of the community, even above that of self. At a very early age he began
to work upon a farm, and to make his own way in the world. His successes
to be appreciated must be contrasted with his early environment, with all
its limitations and lack of privilege, despite all of which he has come
to occupy the place and position he does to_day, and to enjoy the confidence
and high regard of the community of which he is a member.
ALBERT CHANCE, the oldest living settler in his township, owns and occupies a snug homestead of forty acres on section 33, township 15, range 14, in Scott County, but, in addition to this, operates 400 acres of land belonging to other parties. He has had a full experience of pioneer life, and is one of the old landmarks who will be remembered long after he has passed away. He has just passed the sixty_ninth year of his age, having been born May 20, 1820, and his native place was near Milford, Kent Co., Del.
Mr. Chance when a young man emigrated to Ohio, and thence to this county, when there were only a few houses within several miles of where he settled. Wild game of all kinds was abundant, and the Indians had not very long departed from this region. Mr. Chance had no schooling until after he was twenty_two years old, and then attended school only one winter. He was put to work at an early age, and when nineteen years old purchased his time of his father for $100. In the spring of 1840 he crossed the Mississippi into Missouri _ after having sawed some of the timber for the Naples & Springfield Railroad, the first built in the State.
Afterwards Mr. Chance went to Columbia, Boone Co., Mo., where he engaged in teaming during the construction of the State University. He hauled out the first load of dirt from the cellar of that structure, and was given a premium of $5. He was thus employed two years, and at the expiration of this time entered two tracts of Government land, which he improved, and engaged in general farming and stock_raising. He put up good buildings, and in 1859 sold out at an advanced price, and then returned to Illinois overland with his teams and wagon. While in Missouri he had engaged considerably in breaking prairie, employing sixteen yoke of cattle and four plows, and operating with a partner.
Mr. Chance could not obtain a clear title to the first land he purchased in this county, and he then rented land near Bluffs two years. Later he carried on farming in the vicinity of Exeter. He purchased his present homestead in the spring of 1870, and has effected all the improvements upon it. It makes a very desirable residence. Mr. Chance in his farming operations employs four teams and devotes his attention largely to the raising of grain, making a specialty of wheat. He was married Jan. 20, 1843, in Boone County, Mo., to Miss Elizabeth Dunbar. This lady was born near Lexington, Scott Co., Ky., and is the daughter of Weeden D. and Fanny (Welden) Dunbar, natives respectively of Virginia and Kentucky. They settled in the latter State, and then removed to Missouri, where Mr. Dunbar became the owner of 320 acres of land. He died in Missouri; he was an Elder in the Christian Church, and rounded up the ripe old age of one hundred and four years.
To Mr. and Mrs. Chance there were born six children, viz: William
W., Frances A., Agnes E., Sarah A., Albert Bishop and Mary Emma, who died
when ten years old. Their eldest son is a carpenter by trade, and possesses
extraordinary mechanical skill. Frances is the wife of Giles E. Montague,
and resides at Naples; Agnes E. is the wife of William Bean, a farmer of
Winchester. Both these ladies were finished dressmakers before marriage;
the other children are at home with their parents. The youngest son operates
the farm, and votes the straight Democratic ticket. Mr. Chance is also
a Democrat, politically, and has served as School Director, in Missouri,
and Road Supervisor; also as County Commissioner, and has been on the Grand
and Petit juries. In religious matters he belongs to the Christian Church
at Naples. He is a brother of Mrs. Elizabeth Finney, who is represented
elsewhere in this sketch.
WILLIAM CHANCE, a highly successful farmer of Scott County, is a native of Delaware, and was born in 1819. His father, Thomas Chance, was born in Delaware, where he prosecuted the business of farming. He removed in an early day from Delaware to Ohio, and four years later settled in Illinois in 1830 in Naples Precinct, where he entered sixty acres of land. He was also a participant in the Black Hawk War, and resided in Bluffs Precinct until his death. The mother of William was Frances Anderson, also a native of Delaware.
William Chance received his early impressions on a farm, and like the majority of the pioneers of a new country secured his education amid difficulties. The deep snows of the winter did not deter these early settlers from walking miles to school. The conditions of gaining book knowledge in those days were widely different from the modern methods. He came West with his father, driving a team the entire distance which separates Ohio from Illinois. He was obedient to his father's wishes and remained on the farm aiding him until 1847, when he purchased land of John Morrison, on the river bottoms. This place contained eighty acres, which he continued to improve for about six years when he bought his present place of about a quarter_section of splendid land. He has improved his farm until it is now a complete place, and altogether he operates 329 acres of land. His house is finely adapted to the wants of a prosperous farmer, and he owns barns and sheds enough to make his stock comfortable. His farm contains all the elements for successful husbandry. In an early day he planted orchards of apples and peaches. He also has an abundance of small fruit, a fine vineyard and everything of that kind that would conduce to the comfort and prosperity of himself and family. He is engaged in general farming and raises good horses and cattle. He also has a dairy in connection with his farm. Mr. Chance was twice married. In 1848 he married Miss Ellen Adams, a native of Ohio. She died in Scott County, leaving two children, Charles and Emma, the latter being deceased. His second marriage was with Mrs. Annie Oakes, Nov. 2, 1855. She is the daughter of Benjamin Green. Mrs. Chance is a native of Bluffs, and was born Oct. 14, 1830. She was educated in the common schools of the day, remaining at home until her first marriage, which occurred in 1851 to Mr. John W. Oaks, a native of Ohio. He came to Illinois when he was twenty_one years old and purchased a farm containing 400 acres, which he improved and operated until his death in 1853. His widow rented out the farm, but resided there until her second marriage. By her first husband she was the mother of one child, Margaret, the wife of Curtis Unger, a farmer of Naples; By her second husband she had one child, Henrietta, who is now living at home.
Mr. Chance is an old resident of Scott County, and it is said that,
obeying the injunction of his father, he has never entered a saloon, nor
has he ever drank a drop of intoxicating liquor. The family is a very hospitable
one, have a nice home and everything comfortable around them. Politically,
Mr. Chance votes the straight Republican ticket, and has served for years
as School Director and Superintendent of Roads. Both husband and wife are
active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which organization
Mr. Chance is a Trustee.
REV. WILLIAM SUMMERFIELD CLARK. The earlier years of the subject of this notice indicated that his life would be spent largely in the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church, but an inscrutable Providence, seemed to direct otherwise, and on account of failing health he was obliged to abandon a work which lay very near his heart. Then turning his attention to agricultural pursuits as the best means of building up a constitution never extremely robust, he established himself on section 24, township 13, range 12, Scott County, where he has developed a fine farm and is living amidst the quiet enjoyment of rural life. Not far from this property is his father's old homestead, where he was born Oct. 22, 1837.
Edward J. Clark, the father of our subject, was born in Washington County, West Virginia, whence he migrated to this region as early as 1834 and took up a tract of land in Manchester Precinct from which he removed in 1837 to that which now constitutes the old homestead. There he spent the remainder of his life, passing away Jan. 30, 1889. The mother, Mrs. Sarah (Smith) Clark, was also a native of Washington County, in the Old Dominion, and the parental household included seven children, viz: Mary C., now Mrs. Peter Clark; William, our subject; Margaret, Mrs. Van Tyle; Virginia, Mrs. Hughes; Lucintha, Isabelle and Lizzie, Mrs. Smith.
The subject of this notice pursued his first studies at the old-fashioned school-house in his native township and embraced every opportunity for the acquisition of useful knowledge. He was a quiet and serious youth and identified himself with the Methodist Episcopal Church at the early age of eighteen years. Eleven years later, in 1866, he became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Conference and labored as an itinerant for a period of thirteen years. He was then superannuated and, greatly to his regret, retired from the ministry.
The Clark homestead comprises 131 acres of choice farming land and
is largely devoted to stock-raising. It was purchased by our subject in
1852, and here he has since lived. He was married March 20, 1860, to Miss
Tabitha A. Akers, daughter of Thomas Akers of this county, and of this
union there were born five children, four of whom are living, namely: William
F., Luella F., Oscar M. and Charles W. William married Miss Bell Helmick
and lives in DeKalb County, Mo.; Luella is the wife of R. J. Ash, of Manchester
this county, and is the mother of one child, an infant daughter. Mr. Clark
during the progress of the late Civil War enlisted in Company G, 91st Illinois
Infantry, and was in the service nine months, during which time he assisted
in the repulse of Morgan in his attach upon the Louisville & Nashville
Railroad, at Elizabethtown, Ky. He was taken prisoner and paroled and soon
afterward received his honorable discharge on account of disability. He
has always been a Republican, politically, and socially belongs to the
G. A. R. He is a man of more than ordinary intelligence, a deep thinker
and an extensive reader, and the many friends who watched his early career
predicted for him many honors from the Church of his choice, in whose behalf
he was willing to spend his time and strength. His impulses have been those
of a good man in the broadest sense of the term, and he has exercised a
healthful influence upon all by whom he has been surrounded.
MRS. NANCY J. CLARK (EADES)owns and successfully operates a farm of sixty-three acres. Her father, William Eades, was born in Morrison County, Ky., and her grandfather, Robert Eades, was a native of North Carolina, and was one of the early settlers of the state of Kentucky. He served as a soldier in the War of 1812. He died in his native State at the age of eighty-eight years.
William Eades, father of Mrs. Clark, was a farmer of Taylor County, Ky., where he owned 160 acres of land. He died at the early age of twenty-eight years. His wife was named Caroline Bailey, also a native of Morrison County, Ky. The latter, after her husband's death, resided in Scott County, and later removed to Gentry County, Mo., where she owned an eighty-acre farm. She was sixty-four years old when she died, and was the mother of six children - Nancy J., Sarah A., Martha W., Rachael C., William T., and Mary E. (deceased.)
Nancy J., the subject of this sketch, was born in Taylor County, Ky., near Morrisville. She received a common school education, and at the age of fifteen years she came to Morgan County, Ill., where she remained until her marriage in 1856. She was first married in Morgan County, Dec. 3, 1856, to Mr. Joseph Peters, whose father, a native of North Carolina, came to Illinois in an early day and located in this county, where he engaged in farming. He served in the War of 1812, and died in Scott County. Joseph Peters enlisted in September, 1862, in the 129th Illinois Infantry, and was mustered in at Pontiac, from where his regiment was sent South. He participated in the battle at Resaca. He was shot in the head and instantly killed, May 15, 1864.
The subject of this biography operated the farm until her second marriage, which occurred June 3, 1875, to Albert Robinson, who was born in Gallatin County, Ill., in 1818, and was the son of William Robinson, a native of North Carolina. Albert Robinson died July 22, 1880, again leaving the subject of this sketch a widow. She was married the third time, to Mr. F. A. Clark, April 8, 1885. He was a native of Scott County, and was born in 1834. His father, George W. Clark, was born in Mechlenburg County, Va., June 19, 1797. He was a soldier of the War of 1812, and served until its close. In 1829 he came to Scott County and located near Winchester, on 160 acres of land, where he resided until 1834. He removed from here to Manchester, where he engaged in farming until 1852, when he again returned to Winchester, and was there elected Justice of the Peace for six terms. Since then he has lived retired, with his son, F. A. Clark.
F. A. Clark was reared to manhood in Scott county, and here learned the trade of a blacksmith. He followed this occupation at Winchester until his enlistment in the army, which occurred Sept. 8, 1862. He joined Company D, of the 129th Illinois Infantry, and on Sept. 13 was mustered into the service at Pontiac as a private soldier, but was immediately detailed on detached service in the Quartermaster's department. In June, 1865, he received his honorable discharge from the army, at Chicago, and again returned to his old occupation of a blacksmith, supplementing this business with dealing in agricultural implements - an occupation in which he continued until 1886. In 1854 he was first married to Miss Malinda J. Williams, at Winchester. She died in 1883, leaving six children - Ella D., Emily J., Francis A., Edward S., Bert W. and Maggie M.
By Mrs. Clark's first marriage she had two children - Harriet and John N. By her second marriage she became the mother of one child - William H. Robinson, who is living at home. Mrs. Clark is a member of the Baptist Church, and was one of the charter members of that organization at her place.
Mr. Clark, politically, is an enthusiastic Republican, as is his
aged father, and as a neighbor he possesses those characteristics which
command respect. He and his wife are living on one of the best farms in
the community, and are engaged in general farming and stock-raising. They
also take pride in breeding fancy poultry. The farm is dotted with groves
and fine orchards, which contain apple and per trees in abundance, and
on the whole Mr. and Mrs. Clark ought to be happy in the ownership of so
fine a home.
SARAH CLARK (SAMPLE), relict of William C. Clark, is one of the early settlers of this county, and is now enjoying the fruits of her early hardships. Her husband was a native of Athens, Ohio, and was born Oct. 6, 1818. He came to Menard County, Ill., in 1845, where he worked by the month, and in 1846 came to Morgan County and worked by the month for a Mr. Warner, for four years. He then married Sarah Jane Sample, on Feb. 6, 1851. She died July 6 of the same year. He remained unmarried until Feb. 26, 1852, when he again united in marriage, this time with the subject of this sketch. He first purchased eighty acres of land, and at different times made additions to the original tract, until at the time of his death, which occurred July 13, 1882, he owned 290 acres of well-cultivated land, and upon which were erected buildings in keeping with this fine farm. His people were originally from Holland. His grandfather was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. His mother traced her ancestry to Germany. Mr. Clark was one of nine children, a record of whom follows: Ruth married Joseph Meyers; he is deceased. They had ten children, six of whom are living. Elizabeth married Carl C. Shawen, who now resides on Mrs. Clark's farm as a tenant. They have five children. Winnie married Hubert Cox, of this county.
In the family of Mrs. Clark's parents there were ten children, seven of whom are living. The names of all the children are as follows: Nancy, Valentine, Elizabeth, Andrew J., Martha, Mary, Washington, Lydia, Lucinda, and Sarah. Nancy married John Taylor, of Madison County, Ill., and is now living in Nebraska; Valentine (deceased), married Jane Taylor, of Madison County; she is now living in Hardin County, Ill., with her husband, Andrew J. Sample. Martha married M. Morris. They are now living in this county, and have seven children - Jacob, John, Allen, Margaret, Mary, Nora, and Solomon; Mary (deceased), married William Cullwell, of Morgan County, and had three children - Lydia, Julia, and Amelia; Lydia married John W. Thomas and is now living in Dallas, Tex., on a stock ranch. They have four children - Allen, Ethel, Henry, and an infant. Washington married Ann Sample (deceased), by whom he had one child, William. He married again, this time to Mary A. Miller, of this county. Lucinda (deceased), married William Kidd, and is now living in Scott County. They have one child, John William.
William C. Clark, the husband of the subject of this sketch, was on the list of the good citizens of this county, always ready and willing to help those who were less fortunate than he. He was a man highly esteemed by his neighbors, and a kind and affectionate husband. Socially he was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and also of the Odd Fellows. Politically, he was a Whig, while that party was in existence, but gravitated into the Republican party, whose principles he earnestly espoused.
Mrs. Clark has earned the unalloyed respect of all her neighbors,
and is fully entitled to it. She is a member of the Baptist Church. Elizabeth,
a sister of Mrs. Clark, first married Leander Thomas, who was killed by
a cyclone in Morgan County, and is now the wife of John M. Conlee, and
resides in Macoupin County, Ill.
WILLIAM J. CLAYWELL, familiarly known as "Jasper" Claywell, stands second to no man in Scott County, in point of popularity and genuine worth of character. Personally he is of robust, portly frame, six feet two in height, and weighing 300 lbs. Within this ample frame nature has placed a heart in keeping with its other proportions _ one which feels for its fellow_men, has always an impulse of kindness toward the unfortunate and downfallen, and which prompts the bestowal of substantial aid. A man more than ordinarily devoted to his family, Mr. Claywell is also, outside of this, uniformly benevolent and active in all good works, a devoted Christian, and prominent in church circles, one who is looked up to as the moving spirit in every good enterprise and who not only gives his time and influence, but contributes of his means as he has opportunity.
One of the peculiarities of Mr. Claywell is his force of character, mingled with great native ability and sound common sense. These have been his attendants in all his walks in life, whether exercised as beneficiary to his fellow_men or in the immediate surroundings of his home. The latter perhaps is more plainly stamped with his true character, and on all sides there is the evidence of industry, enterprise and ample means. The dwelling is a neat and substantial frame structure, while the fences, yards, barns and other outbuildings denote on every hand thrift and prosperity. The homestead forms a picture delightful to contemplate and the proprietor is one of those men who to meet is a matter of solid satisfaction, not alone to the biographer, but to all who are thrown within the sphere of his influence. Mr. Claywell owns and operates 174 acres of choice land, pleasantly located on section 1, township 13, range 13. He purchased this in the fall of 1852, and cleared all but ten acres of it, which was fenced at the time of purchase. In addition to general farming he has been largely interested as a stock_raiser, making a specialty of thoroughbred, Short_horn cattle and Poland_China swine. One of his maxims is "the fewer promises a man makes, the better he is off." Following out this idea he has been especially prompt to meet his obligations and this habit concisely adhered to has perhaps more than anything else the effect to establish a man in the esteem of his fellow citizens.
Mr. Claywell was born at the old Claywell homestead Aug. 8, 1831, and acquired his education in the primitive log school_house, with its puncheon floor and slabs for seats and desks, and its huge fireplace, with the chimney built outside of earth and sticks. He was a bright and ambitious boy and when but fifteen years old, assisted in the organization of subscription schools. He has always taken a lively interest in educational matters and especially in the Sand Ridge school to which he donated land for the grounds and otherwise assisted in its establishment and maintenance. At the age of twenty years he was married, Aug. 7, 1851, to Miss Permelia, daughter of Bird and Harriet (Williams) Peak, who were among the earliest pioneers of Scott County, and are now residents of Winchester. A sketch of them will be found on another page of this volume.
After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Claywell lived upon a rented farm two seasons, and then removed to that which they now occupy. Here there were born their nine children, the eldest of whom, Hattie, died when fifteen months old. Bird is married and a resident of Scott County; he has three children _ Annie, Permelia and Charles. John Married a Miss New, and is a traveling salesman for the firm of Walter A. Woods, manufacturer of harvesting machinery; he has one child, William J., Jr. William J., died at the age of six years; Lucinda died in infancy; Cornelia is the wife of Joseph McClure, and has charge of our subject's farm; they have one child, Elmer. Thomas married Miss Emma Taylor, is a resident of Kansas, and has two children _ Percy Mabel and Lilly; Olive and Dolly, (twins) died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Claywell are members in good standing of the Christian Church, at Winchester, in which Mr. Claywell has been a Trustee and one of its most liberal supporters. Politically, he supports the principles of the Republican party, and has been Township Treasurer seven or eight years.
The parents of our subject were Joel and Lucinda (Cain) Claywell, natives of Cumberland County, Ky., to which the paternal grandfather removed from North Carolina, and where he spent the remainder of his days. Joel Claywell remained in Kentucky until after his marriage and the birth of two children, then in 1826, came to Illinois with his little family and settled on section 6, township 12, range 13. The country was then mostly in its primitive condition and the Claywell family experienced all the vicissitudes of pioneer life. In Scott County, there were added to the family circles seven more children, in all there were four sons and five daughters. William J. was the eldest son. The father for a time after coming West operated as pilot on the flatboats of the Mississippi, Illinois and Ohio rivers. These crafts were utilized in conveying produce from this county to New Orleans. William J. thus was left at an early age in charge of the homestead. The land in this region was then heavily timbered and the neighborhood log_rollings, while furnishing plenty of laborious work, where also the occasion of hilarity and pleasure among the young people who assembled in the evenings for enjoyment. The grain for many years was cut with cradles and a large proportion of it was harvested by our subject and six other young men who worked together and were experts at the business, doing a large proportion of the cradling in their neighborhood. These employments served to develop strong and sturdy frames, and made the men, who, later, were instrumental in developing the resources of the country and building up their community, morally as well as financially.
Mrs. Claywell was born on the old Peak homestead, April 16, 1835,
and lived there with her parents until leaving the home roof to preside
over a household of her own. She has been in all respects the suitable
partner of her husband and both enjoy the unqualified respect of all who
DR. ARTHUR M. CLINE. The medical profession of Murrayville and vicinity is worthily represented by the subject of this notice, who has a well-appointed office on Main street and is entering upon a career which promises to be highly successful. He is a gentleman comparatively young in years, having been born Dec. 20, 1858, in Washington County, Ohio.
Our subject was reared to manhood on a farm in the pure atmosphere of the Buckeye State, pursuing his early studies in the district school, and remained a resident of his native county until a youth of eighteen years. So faithful had been his application to his books that he now began teaching school and followed this profession in two districts for seven terms, meeting with flattering success. He had in the meantime determined upon the profession of medicine and during the last year of his labors as a pedagogue, employed his leisure hours in the reading of medicine under the instruction of his brother-in-law, Dr. E. Sloan, of Williamstown, W. Va.
In September, 1879, our subject entered the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, where he spent two college years and was graduated June 7, 1881. Soon afterward he set out for the West, and in July of that year established himself in Murrayville, where he has since followed his profession with excellent success, building up an extended patronage. Indeed he is recognized as one of the leading physicians of this county, and holds membership in the State Eclectic Medical Society, having its headquarters at Springfield.
Politically, Dr. Cline is a Democrat, and has officiated as a member of the Town Council of Murrayville but in local matters gives his support to the men whom he considers best qualified to serve the interests of the people. His pleasant home is presided over by an amiable lady, formerly Miss Lizzie Reaugh, to whom he was married, Jan. 25, 1883. Mrs. Cline was born in this county, and is the daughter of O. P. and Julia (Anderson) Reaugh, the former of whom settled here in the pioneer days and is now deceased. The household circle comprises two bright children: Stella R., born Dec. 21, 1887, and Edna E., born April 15, 1889.
Dr. Cline, socially, belongs to the I.O.O.F., being Noble Grand of
the Lodge at Murrayville, and is also a member of the Modern Woodmen, in
which he is the Examining Physician. He is Secretary of Murrayville Y.M.C.A.,
and Precinct President of Morgan County Sunday-school Association. He and
his family are members of Murrayville Presbyterian Church. His parents,
Reuben and Diana (Cady) Cline, were natives of Ohio, and one of his paternal
ancestors, Thomas Mills, served as a Revolutionary soldier, in which war
he received numerous honorable wounds, and was present at the fight at
Ft. DuQuesne, a conflict which is memorable in history and familiar to
those who keep themselves posted in regard to the records of that time.
JOB COATES, the owner of 443 acres of land is pleasantly located on section 23, township 15, range 9, where he lives "a bachelor all by himself" and by his prudence and industry has accumulated a competence. He was born in Yorkshire, England, Dec. 23, 1837, and lived there until reaching his majority, acquiring his education in the common schools and employing himself mostly at farming.
After making up his mind to come to America, young Coates secured a passage on the sailing vessel "Washington" at Liverpool, which after a voyage of fourteen days, landed him safely in the city of New York. Thence he came directly to this county and secured employment on a farm until he was enabled to commence operations for himself on rented land. In this latter manner he was occupied five years with satisfactory results, and then purchased 100 acres of improved land, near Pisgah station. A few years later he purchased forty acres additional and continuing prosperous, later purchased 243 acres. All of this land is now well improved and he has one of the most desirable homesteads in his township.
Our subject is the son of Jonathan and Ann (Robinson) Coates, the former of whom was born in 1751 and died at the age of eighty-five years. The mother was born in 1801, and died in 1888, at the age of eighty-seven years and nine months. Both were natives of Yorkshire where they spent their entire lives, the father engaged in farming. The parental household included ten children, six of whom are living, and of whom our subject is the youngest. William married Miss Jane Lightfoot, is the father of one daughter - Victoria A., and carries on farming in his native county of York. Amos married a Miss Thompson and lives in Jacksonville where he owns a farm. They have one daughter, Sarah, who is the wife of William Conkling, a merchant of Springfield, and they have two children. Carbulious married Harriet Vasey, and is carrying on farming and stock-raising in Scott County, this State; they have seven children - Louisa, Clara, Anna, Rosa, Rebecca, Robert and Prince Albert. Louisa married William Goodell, a coachman of Yorkshire and lives there.
At the time Mr. Coates came to this county, there had been considerable
headway made toward a settlement, although the people were by no means
independently wealthy. He in common with his neighbors, labored early and
late in the development of his farm and like many of them, has become well-to-do,
with a sufficiency for his old age. Politically, he is a sound Democrat,
but aside from doing his duty at the polls, meddles very little with public
affairs. He is a man prompt to meet his obligations and one whose word
is considered as good as his bond.
JOHN H. COATS, the leading grocery merchant of Winchester, is a native of Petersburg, Pike County, Indiana, and was born Sept. 23, 1843. His father, William Coats, emigrated to Pike County, Ill., in 1844, thence to Scott County, where he died in 1855 at the age of sixty-one years. The maiden name of Mrs. Coats, the mother of John H., was Amelia Barrett. She died in 1862. Both she and Mr. Coats were natives of North Carolina, and they reared a family of four sons and two daughters, John H. being the youngest. It will thus be seen that our subject was left fatherless at a tender age, his mother an invalid, and he had no resources except a brave spirit and a courageous heart.
The subject of this sketch was educated at the common schools, advantages being denied him that would have aided him in procuring a higher education. Being of a studious and religious turn of mind, at the age of seventeen years, in 1860, he united with the Baptist Church. He remained a member of that church until 1869, when on account of certain doctrinal views of the denomination, he withdrew from that organization and became identified with the Christian Church. In that church he was ordained and began preaching at once. He was so successful in this, his chosen calling, that in twelve years he baptized into that faith over 1400 persons. Very much to the regret of himself and the members of his congregation, he was unfortunately forced by an irreparable failure of his voice and throat to abandon the pulpit in 1884, since which time, and for a year previous, he has been exclusively engaged in his present business at Winchester.
In May 1861, mr. Coats entered the army as a private soldier in Company A, 68th Illinois Infantry, which regiment was called out by President Lincoln for the period of three months. Afterward as a member of Company K 14th Illinois Infantry he served gallantly until the close of the war. He took part in the battles of Champion Hills, in the campaign in front of Atlanta, Big Shanty, and other engagements. At Big Shanty his regiment was captured by the rebel Gen. Hood and in consequence Mr. Coats partook of the overwhelming and consuming hardships of that prison-hell, Andersonville. During his confinement he made two unsuccessful attempts to escape, but the third attempt proved to be a success. Being detailed by Capt. Wirz, under whose immediate charge the prison was conducted, and who afterward paid the penalty of his many misdeeds at the end of a rope, to make out exchange rolls, Mr. Coats, by answering to a dead man's name, flanked his way out, and on to Vicksburg, where he was permitted to go free.
After his return to Glasgow, Mr. Coats engaged in the ministry as above stated, and afterward in the mercantile business, which latter occupation he followed for several years. In 1873 being elected County Treasurer, he removed to Winchester, which has ever since been his place of residence. He served three full terms as Treasurer by election, and held over one year by reason of a change in the law regulating the tenure. In 1880 he was a prominent candidate before the convention at Springfield for the office of State Treasurer, and in 1882 represented Scott County in the Legislature. In almost every State convention held since the war by the Republican party, he has been chosen as a delegate, and in 1884 he was the alternate delegate from this congressional district to the convention that nominated James G. Blaine. Mr. Coats has always been an active, influential, and conscientious adherent of the Republican party and an enthusiastic worker in its ranks. He is now a member of the Republican State Central Committee. He is a forcible and pleasing speaker in public; a man of the highest integrity and a citizen whose daily life reflects credit and honor upon his community. He is a Knight Templar; an Odd Fellow; an enthusiastic worker in the ranks of the G.A.R. and a member of the Mutual Aid Society.
Oct. 8, 1865 at Winchester, Mr. Coats was married to Miss Fannie
McEvers, the accomplished daughter of James McEvers, Esq., of Glasgow.
Of this union there have been born three children, whose names follow:
Charles B., Lillie B. and J. Harry. The first named died in 1879 at the
age of twelve years.
ARMSTRONG COOPER. Seventy-seven years have come and gone, since Mr. Cooper first opened his eyes to the light of Eastern Tennessee, he having been born March 23, 1812, in Roane County, that State. Fifty-four years of this time have been spent in this county, he firs setting foot within its limits on the 3d of November, 1835. Thirty-three years of this time were spent upon a farm, which he opened up from the wilderness, and which he occupied until December, 1880. Then, wisely retiring from the active labors of life, he left the farm in other hands and moved into Concord Village, where he owns a home, and is living surrounded by all the comforts of life.
The landed property of our subject embraces 200 acres, in a good farm, on section 22, township 16, range 11, and eighty acres in another part of this township. Most of this, when he became proprietor, lay as the Indians left it, and he paid for it with money earned by the sweat of his brow. Like most of the men around him, he has arisen from an humble position in life, and accumulated his possessions solely by the exercise of industry and perseverance. For a few years after his arrival in this county he lived in what was then the very unimportant little town of Jacksonville, then removed to a farm, which he occupied five years before making his first purchase of land.
We find, upon glancing at the family record of our subject, that he is son of Absalom Cooper, a native of Virginia, and the grandson of John Cooper, who with an elder brother, Martin, emigrated to America from England prior to the Revolutionary War. They settled in Old Virginia, but John long afterward enlisted in defense of American Liberty. Martin, the elder, who was the heir of his father's possessions was a Tory, and fought with the British. It is known that he had one of his hands cut off by a sword, and he may possibly have been killed, as he was lost sight of and was never heard from afterward.
Grandfather John Cooper married a Virginia lady of Southern parentage, and after a time they settled in Roane County, Tenn., where they spent the remainder of their lives, dying when ripe in years. It is believed that grandfather Cooper was eighty years old, while his wife lived to the great age of one hundred and one. They were worthy and upright people, and conscientious members of the old-school Baptist Church.
Absalom Cooper, the father of our subject, was the only son of his parents, who had but a small family, and after reaching his majority he was married to Miss Kate Armstrong, whom it is supposed was born in Virginia. They began their wedded life together on a farm in Tennessee, and after the birth of all their children made preparations to move to another county, but before becoming located, the father was drafted into the army, during the War of 1812. Shortly afterward he was taken ill, and died at Ft. Armstrong in the prime of life. The mother lived to rear her family - indeed far beyond that, attaining to the advanced age of eighty years, and died in Roane County, Tenn.
The subject of this sketch was the youngest but one of the parental family, and at an early age began to earn his own living. He left Tennessee a single man, and in 1837 was married in Jacksonville, this county, to Miss Mary Silcox. This lady was born in Fentress County, Tenn., March 18, 1818, and is the daughter of Solomon and Jane (Keaton) Silcox, who were likewise natives of that state. They lived there and in Kentucky until 1830, then, coming to this county, settled first in Jacksonville, but finally removed to Beardstown, where the father died when quite aged. The mother subsequently made her home with Mrs. Henry Black, her daughter, in Whitehall, Greene County, where she departed this life on the day she was eighty-two years old. Both steadfastly adhered to the faith of the Christian Church.
To Mr. and Mrs. Cooper there was born a family of ten children, and
the faithful and devoted wife and mother passed from earth on the 21st
of April, 1880, at the age of sixty-two years. She was not only deeply
mourned by her family and immediate friends, but regretted by all who knew
her. One child, E. C., died when ten years of age; John A. died when two
and one half years old; Robert and Albert (twins) died at the age of six
months; and Edward S. died when two and one-half years old; Mary became
the wife of Dr. O. T. Pratt, and died at the age of twenty-nine. Of the
survivors the record is as follows: Eliza J. became the wife of Frank Roberts,
of Virginia, and in the year 1879 was left a widow with three children
- Hattie, Anna, and Katie. Hattie married James Webster, a farmer of Scott
County; William H. Cooper married Miss Carrie Burbank, and they occupy
the old homestead of our subject; James B. married Miss Rosa O'Keffe, and
they also live on the Cooper farm. Amanda is the wife of Bailey Rexroat,
and they live on the farm near Literberry. The family is an interesting
and popular one, and general favorites in the social circles of their community.
Mr. Cooper, politically, is a sound Democrat.
HARDIN D. COOPER, a thorough-going and wide-awake business man, and proprietor of the well-known general mercantile house at Chapin, needs but little introduction to the people of Morgan County. Our subject is the son of John D. Cooper, who first established the business now so ably carried on by his son Hardin. Mr. Cooper, Sr., was born in Sumner County, Tenn., on the 20th of December, 1809. His father, George W. Cooper, emigrated to Morgan County, of this State, in November, 1829, and settled in township 16, range 11 (Concord), and was accompanied in this journey by his son, the father of our subject, who was then about twenty years of age.
On the 23d of January, 1836, John D. Cooper married Miss Margaret Willard, who bore him four children, as follows: Martha E., widow of D. M. Brunson, of Eldorado, Kan.; Hester Ann, wife of the Hon. Lewis Hanback, ex-Member of Congress, of Kansas; William M. was a soldier in the late Civil War, and held the rank of Lieutenant on the staff of Gen. N. B. Buford; he was a partner of his father in the store, from 1866 to 1876, at the time of his death. One other child, George, died in infancy. Being left a widower he subsequently remarried, on the 28th of September, 1847, the lady being Margery A. Risley, by whom he became the father of the following children: Mary A., Hardin and Ida. His settlement at Chapin dates from 1847. Shortly afterward he began to do business as mentioned above, and continued as the sole proprietor until he took our subject into partnership with him, and retaining his interest in the firm until his decease, on the 5th of February, 1880.
The subject of this writing was born in Chapin, Ill., Dec. 27, 1849. He received his education and was reared in his native county, becoming his father's clerk and helper in the store at an early age. He attended the High School at Jacksonville, and developed an aptitude for study that has been of great assistance to him as a man of business. In 1888 Mr. Cooper had so progressed in business, and prospered financially, that he purchased the interests of all the heirs to the business as left by his father, and became sole proprietor. On Nov. 1, 1877, he became the husband of Miss Belle Neely. There has been given to them a daughter, whose name is recorded as Julia N., and who was born Oct. 11, 1888. She has made the home the brighter and happier by her presence.
The store of our subject is quite large, and carries a stock consisting of dry goods of all kinds, also a full line of boots, shoes and hats; there is also a grocery department, and one is sure to find everything in the line of hardware, and in fact anything that is usually carried by similar well-managed stores in the country. The stock carried is at no time of less value than $8,000, and his sales average over $20,000 annually. The reputation of our subject as a man of business is in keeping with his high character, previous training, and the example of his respected father, who established the business.
Mr. Cooper as a loyal citizen is deeply interested in the political
aspect, and gives considerable time to the understanding of governmental
questions. He is a firm adherent and cordial friend of the Republican party,
but is first, a man, and afterward a politician, and therefore never sacrifices
principle to policy. For fourteen years he was Postmaster of Chapin, and
throughout that lengthy period earned the heartiest esteem of the people,
owing to the well nigh perfect manner in which every duty connected therewith
was performed. He has recently been re-appointed Postmaster, and will again
assume the duties of that office.
County main page