PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF
MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS.
Chicago, Chapman Brothers
Morgan County IL
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1984)
JOSEPH ALDERSON. A goodly delegation of English Yorkshrie men came to this county during its pioneer days, and among them was the subject of this sketch, who is worthy of more than a passing notice. He is comfortably settled on a good farm on section 35, township 16, range 12, where, after years of faithful labor, he is now enabled to rest upon his oars, and view with satisfaction the results of his industry. He is one of those substantial and reliable men, who have not only accumulated a good property, but are held in the highest regard by their fellow citizens.
The subject of this sketch was born Oct. 23, 1835, and is the son of Charles and Elizabeth (Pratt) Alderson, who were likewise natives of Yorkshire, and who, in the spring of 1850, emigrated to the United States. They made the voyage on a sailing vessel bound from Liverpool to New York City, and were five weeks on the ocean. From the metropolis they came directly to this county, and the father purchased 160 acres of wild prairie land, which now constitutes the homestead of his son Joseph. He labored in true pioneer style for many years thereafter with good results, and added forty acres to his first purchase. He resided upon this homestead until called hence, March 12, 1868. His wife had previously died, passing away nov. 5, 1864.
To the parents of our subject there were born eleven children, only seven of whom are living: John moved to Colorado and died in 1887; he had lived in Morgan and Scott Counties prior to that time, and was for one term Deputy Sheriff of Scott County, Ill. Charles is a resident of Champaign County, this State; Mary the wife of John Munson, of California; Elizabeth (Mrs. Kevey), a widow of Washington; Annie, the wife of Henry Gilbert, of California; Joseph, our subject; George, a resident of this county; and James, who lives in Nebraska. The elder Alderson possessed all the excellent traits of his substantial English ancestry, and was a member in good standing of the Wesleyan Methodist Episcopal Church. He had received but a limited education in his youth, but kept himself well posted upon current events, and was capable of transacting in an intelligent manner the business connected with his farming operations. Politically, he affiliated with the Democratic party, and made it the rule of his life to do unto others as he would be done by.
The subject of this sketch began his early studies in the schools of his native county in England, and was at an early age taught to make himself useful to his parents, and thus there were bred in him those habits of industry which have been the secret of his later success. He received 100 acres of land from his father's estate, and to this has added until he is now the owner of 600 acres, the home farm comprising 285 acres. It has all been brought to a good state of cultivation, and Mr. Alderson has put up a fine residence, a good barn, and the other buildings necessary for the successful prosecution of farming and stock-raising. It is conceded by all that he has one of the most desirable homes in this township.
Over thirty years ago, on the 28th of October, 1858, our subject took unto himself a wife and helpmate, Miss Elizabeth A. Henderson, who has borne him nine children. Seven of these are living, namely: Lewis, John, Edward, Henry, Eva Etta, Carrie B., and Myrtie A. The deceased are Emma and Ella, who were taken from the home circle at the ages of one and ten years respectively. The Alderson family removed to their present home in the fall of 1850, and have now occupied it for a period of nearly forty years. Mr. Alderson is a self-made man in the broadest sense of the term, liberal and public-spirited, and fully identified with the interests of his adopted country. He gives his unqualified support to the Democratic party, but is no office seeker, having simply served his district as School Director, holding this position many years. Both he and his estimable wife belong to the Methodist Protestant Church at Bethel.
Mr. Alderson has been an eye witness of the growth of Morgan County from its primitive state into what it is today, and in the development of a large area of land, has contributed thus much to the value of its taxable property. In his labors and struggles he has been materially assisted by his faithful wife, who has borne with him the head and burden of the day. Mrs. Alderson was born in this county Feb. 11, 1840, and is the daughter of Silas and Sarah (Gorham) Henderson, the father a native of Virginia and the mother of New York State. Mr. Henderson was taken to Ohio with his parents when quite young, and from there they came to this county at an early day. After his marriage Mr. Henderson settled in Arcadia Precinct, but finally removed to the place which his son, Francis M., now occupies, where he sojourned many years. His death took place at the old homestead in Concord Precinct, Aug. 16, 1886. The mother passed away prior to the decease of her husband, June 30, 1862. Mr. Henderson performed a great deal of hard labor in common with his brother pioneers, and was a man careful and conscientious in his dealings - one who endeavored to do by his neighbors as he would be done by. His father having died when he was but a youth, he at an early age assumed the responsibilities of a family. He looked upon the present site of Jacksonville when there was not a house to mark the spot, and when the labor of going to mill occupied several days. For long distances there was not even a wagon track, the traveler having to follow simply an Indian trail. Frequently being unable to reach the mill, the pioneers parched their corn and ground it in a coffee mill, and made bread from the meal thus obtained.
The Henderson family included eight children: Francis Marion, Elizabeth;
Lucretia, the wife of George Renchler, of this county; Stephen, living
in Missouri; Emma, the wife of Jacob Lable, of Iowa; Ellen, Mrs. Felix
Brown; Miriam, the wife of Charles Craig; and Henry; the latter three of
Missouri. The mother was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and
the father, politically, in his latter years a stanch Republican. The eldest
son, F. M., served as a soldier in the late Civil War. The paternal grandfather
of Mrs. Alderson was one of the very first pioneers of this county, and
a Justice of the Peace many years. Mr. Alderson for the last few years
has been breeding thorough-bred Holstein cattle.
THE HON. SYLVESTER ALLEN, who is one of the most prominent public men of Scott County, was born in Athens County, Ohio, Sept. 2, 1847. His father, William Allen, was also a native of Ohio, and of Scotch descent. He was a shoemaker by trade and followed this business in Ohio for a great many years, until he died in 1855. His wife, the mother of Sylvester, was also a native of Ohio. Her maiden name was Elida A. Beatty.
Sylvester Allen was seven years old when his father died. After this sad event he went to live with his grandparents, who gave him a good common-school education, supplemented by a term at the High School of Jackson, Ohio. He worked on a farm until he was sixteen years old. In the spring of 1863 he enlisted in the 7th Ohio Cavalry, but was rejected on account of his youth, coupled with a vigorous protest from his mother. But young Allen was not to be defeated in his laudable purpose of serving his country, and so he entered the army again, this time as a teamster. He went on duty at Camp Nelson, Ky., where he engaged in the transportation of supplies from that point to Cumberland Gap, Tenn. This work was extremely hazardous, as the country was infested with guerrillas, whose sole aim was to secretly assassinate, and whose tactics consisted chiefly in sneaking up behind their opponents, and cowardly shooting them down. Mr. Allen smelled gunpowder many times, and particularly at Crab Orchard.
Mr. Allen served his country for eighteen months, when he returned to Jackson, Ohio, and in September, 1864, he left for Saline County, Mo., where he occupied himself in farming and attending school. After remaining in Missouri for a year he came to Oxville, this county. Here he again worked on a farm and attended school during the winter. In September, 1869, he was married to Miss Duenna S. Jeffords, who was born in Portsmouth, Ohio. Her parents removed here in 1860 and were farmers. After his marriage Mr. Allen rented land until 1872 when he went to Kansas, locating near Humboldt, where he followed farming for three years. He then returned to Illinois and purchased his present farm. From time to time he has made additions to his original purchase, until he now owns 200 acres of excellent land, and by good management has succeeded in gaining a just reputation as one of the leading stock-raisers and general farmers of his community. He makes a specialty of breeding graded Short-horned and Jersey cattle. He has five acres devoted to the cultivation of small fruits, an investment which has been well rewarded. Full-blooded Berkshire hogs and draft horses also claim his attention, and he is a live-stock shipper to the principal markets.
Mr. Allen is a self-made man. He is now representing Scott County in the Legislature, and as a law-maker and an incorruptible man his record is perfect. He has never been an office-seeker, but the people have recognized his fitness for public station and have verified their confidence in him by electing him to many local offices. As a member of the Legislature he is industrious, painstaking, and is ever found seeking the best interests of his constituents. His portrait on another page will be prized by all his friends. Mr. Allen began active life without a dollar, but by sheer force of character and indomitable industry he has reached the top rounds of the ladder of success. His domestic life is peculiarly happy. Mrs. Allen is more than an ordinary woman and is one to whom a great deal of respect is shown by her neighbors.
Since Mr. Allen came to Oxville his fellow citizens have insisted
upon his holding some local office a majority of the time. He has been
Postmaster, School Director and Justice of the Peace for sixteen years,
and for his own amusement has read law. In 1888 he was elected to the State
Legislature on the Democratic ticket, and was placed upon the important
Committees of Public Charities, Roads and Bridges, Retrenchments, and Public
Printing. Mr. Allen has four children living - Arlina b., Mary E., Lila
ADAM ALLINSON, JR., is a prominent farmer and stock raiser on section 32, township 15, range 11, and that he has been successful, the surroundings of his beautiful place are ample evidence. His house, which is large, well arranged and architecturally perfect, is located on an elevation of land that commands a magnificent view of the surrounding country. The house is encircled by fine, large evergreens and the whole place indicates that the man who owns it has a love for the beautiful.
Mr. Allinson's farm has reached a high state of cultivation and is counted as one of the best in Morgan County. He owns a block of 500 acres nearly all of which is tillable, and is one of those places peculiarly adapted to stock raising. He constantly feeds a large amount of stock for the market, and takes great pride in raising fine cattle. Mr. Allinson was born in this county, June 20, 1834. His father, Adam Allinson, was a native of Yorkshire, England, and came from a good English family. He was a veterinarian. Adam Allinson, Sr., came to America with his parents in 1820, and first located in Indiana. His father died not long after their arrival in Indiana, at an advanced age. Adam Allinson, the father of the subject of this sketch was yet a single man, when in 1821, he left Indiana for the West. He built a rude flat boat which he floated down the Wabash River and pushed up the Mississippi, passing through an unbroken wilderness. He finally landed in what is now Morgan County, where he concluded to make his future home. As a matter of course, the country here then was wild, and the settlers who had preceded him were nearly all pecuniarily embarrassed, a natural condition which generally attaches to pioneers, especially in the second or third from the time of their arrival in a new country. He located Government land where the County Poor Farm now is, and also where the Illinois College stands. His possessions at one time, in an early day, covered 1,000 acres of land, and he lived to see his property advance in value, and to witness the wonderful transition this country has made from a wilderness to a garden. He also lived to see his original farm constitute one of the finest homes in the county. His son, and the one of whom the biography is written, now owns that farm. He died at his home which he had worked so hard to beautify, and where he had spent such an active and useful life, on March 26, 1880, at the age of eighty years. He cared little for politics, nor did he ever seek an office, neither did he adhere to any particular faith religiously, but he was a strictly moral man. His memory is held in kindly remembrance by all who enjoyed the privilege of his acquaintance, for when he died, a man passed away. He married in this county to Miss Mary Norwood, a native of Yorkshire, England, who came while still young , to America. Her parents were among the early settlers of Morgan County and they resided on their farm here until they died at an advanced age. Mrs. Allinson, the mother of our subject, died some years before her husband was called away, at sixty-five years of age. She was a woman who possessed all the characteristics that are attributed to a noble mother and woman. She was the mother of six children, three of whom are now living. Two died when quite young, and one after marriage. She was at the time of her death Ann Funk, being the wife of John Funk. The living are: Sarah, wife of Robert Hills, who is farming in this township, and Mary, wife of George Bramham.
Adam Allinson, Jr., was carefully reared by conscientious parents, and resides on the old homestead that was built up by his worthy father, and the most of his life has been spent there. He was married in this township to Miss Ruth Jefferson, a native of Yorkshire, England, and who was born in 1848. She was the daughter of Thomas Jefferson. Her mother died in England, while her father emigrated with his children to America soon after her death and located in Morgan County, where he still resides. He is retired from active work. Mrs. Allinson was about six years of age when she came to America, and has but dim recollections of her native land. She is the mother of two children: Adareene died aged two years. Mary N. is at home.
Mrs. Allinson worships at the Methodist Church and is an ardent member
thereof. Mr. Allinson, politically, is a sound Republican and thoroughly
believes in his party.
GEORGE R. ANDERTON, a retired merchant, was born in Lincolnshire, England, Oct. 11, 1882. Mr. Anderton was the sixth child of a family of seven children, and when he became of age learned the saddler's trade, a business he did not like. In 1847 he accepted a position on the North Midland Railroad as shipping clerk, which office he filled satisfactorily until he resigned to emigrate to America. He sailed from Liverpool in November, 1853, on the sailing vessel "Warbler", and was on the ocean seven weeks, when he landed in New Orleans, from which place he proceeded to Cairo, and from there to St. Louis, finally making his way to Lynnville, arriving at that place in February, 1854. Here he engaged in the business of general merchandising, but the financial crash of 1857 caused him to fail in business, after which he took a situation with John Gordon & Co., managing their extensive business until 1877, when his health failed him and he was obliged to retire from active business pursuits. Since coming to America he has made one trip to England. In March, 1851, he married Miss Lucy S. Craggs, the youngest daughter of Benjamin Craggs, Auditor of Accounts of Sheffield, England. She was born at the latter place, and died at Lynnville, in April, 1870. She was the mother of thirteen children, all of whom died in infancy, except Maria Elizabeth, who was born in Sheffield, England, June 27, 1853, and is now the wife of William E. Gordon. This marriage occurred March 3, 1872, at Lynnville.
Cornelius Anderton, the father of George R. was a native of Lincolnshire, England, and by trade a saddler and harness maker. He died, at the age of sixty-five years, in his native country. His wife, whose maiden name was Maria Walker, was the only daughter of William Walker, a well-to-do saddler in the city of Lincoln, England.
As has been before stated, Mr. William E. Gordon, married Maria E., a daughter of George R. Anderton. His father, William Gordon, was a native of Ohio, and when a young man came to Illinois, where he engaged in farming, after which he took up the pork-packing business. The parents of William E. are still living, in Scott County, and had five children: William E., John I., of Macon County; Henry L., David O., and James B.; they are all married and farming for themselves. William E. Gordon was born at Lynnville, Morgan County, June 26, 1850. He was reared on a farm, and attended the district schools until 1867, at which time he went to Bloomington and took a course of instruction in the State Normal School, remaining there for one year. At the age of twenty-two he commenced farming on his own account with sixty acres of land, which he owned, until he bought his present place, which consists of a half section, nearly all under cultivation. His farm is well improved, has fine fences and is well watered, the Rocky Branch coursing through it. His house is large containing fifteen rooms, while the barns and other outbuildings are in keeping with the entire place. Mr. Gordon takes special pride in raising graded cattle and Poland-China hogs. He is a feeder of cattle, which he ships to different markets. He is the father of seven children: Lucy C., George H., Sarah E., Edith M., Walter (who died at the age of two years), Allen O., and Gertie. Politically, he belongs to the Union Labor party. As a business man and farmer he ranks high, and as a neighbor is well liked.
George R. Anderton has been President of the Board of Trustees and
Justice of the Peace. He belongs to the A. F. & A. M. Blue Lodge at
Lynnville, and the Chapter at Jacksonville. He is a Republican in politics,
stanch and firm, and for twenty years was Deputy Postmaster at Lynnville.
When Mr. Anderton was in business he was counted as one of the shrewdest
men in this section of the country, and, were it not for physical infirmities,
he would now take his place as an energetic and reliable business man.
JOHN ANGEL. There is always a certain dignity and air of respectability attached to the citizen of long standing; and as such a one Mr. Angel deserves more than a passing mention, as he has occupied his present homestead for the long period of thirty years, having established himself upon it on the 15th of March, 1859. It is pleasantly located on section 36, township 16, range 11, and comprises 270 acres of choice land, which is well improved and largely devoted to stock-raising. A spring of living water adds to its beauty and value, and the proprietor has gathered around him all the conveniences and appliances necessary to the well-regulated farm.
Our subject came to this county as early as 1826, with his father, George Angel, who was born in February, 1794. The latter secured a tract of Government land, and by the exercise of unremitting labor and wise management succeeded in improving a good farm, where he lived many years in comfort, and where his death took place in 1856, thirty years from the time of his settlement here, at the age of sixty-two years and three months. He was born in North Carolina, and was the son of a native of Germany, who emigrated to America and fought as a private all through the Revolutionary War, being one of the earliest men to enlist from North Carolina. After the war was ended he engaged in farming, first in North Carolina, then removed to Kentucky, thence to Spencer County, Ind., where he was one of the earliest pioneers. He died there when quite aged. It is believed that he was married to an American lady, who probably died in North Carolina when middle-aged.
The father of our subject was the third son in a family of four sons and two daughters, and was reared to manhood in his native State. Shortly after reaching his majority he emigrated to Kentucky and enlisted under Gen. Jackson for the War of 1812. He fought under Old Hickory at the battle of New Orleans, and distinguished himself as a brave and courageous soldier, being in the thickest of the fight in that memorable battle. After receiving his honorable discharge he made his way to the Territory of Indiana, and in Spencer County met and married Miss Elizabeth Turnhan.
The mother of our subject was born and reared in East Tennessee, and was the daughter of Thomas Turnhan, a gentleman of Irish ancestry, who served in the Revolutionary army seven years prior to his first marriage. He had five wives. His second, third and fourth wife were living after his marriage to his fifth wife. He died a very old man, in Spencer County, Ind., leaving his fifth wife a widow. He was the father of children by four of his wives. Our subject remembers seeing him, and that his manner of dress and style of wearing his hair were similar to that of the old colonial days.
Mrs. Elizabeth Angel came North with her husband and survived him a number of years, dying March 12, 1873, in Arenzville, Cass County, this State, when quite aged. Both she and her husband were people greatly respected, and she was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. John, our subject, is the eldest survivor of the nine children born to his parents - four sons and five daughters. He first opened his eyes to the light at the homestead, fourteen miles from the county seat of Spencer County, Ind., March 18, 1823, and was a lad of three years when his parents first came to this county. He was reared to man's estate, and in the township where he now lives was married Jan. 4, 1844, to Miss Susan Smith. Mr. Angel was born May 19, 1827, in Hickman County, Tenn.., and is the daughter of John and Mary (Moss) Smith, who were also natives of that State, and the father a farmer by occupation. After marriage and the birth of a part of their children, the parents came to this county, locating about 1840 in township 16, range 11. Here occurred the death of John Smith, Oct. 17, 1867, when he was a man quite old in years. He had pursued that conscientious and upright course in life which gained him the esteem of all who knew him, and he exerted a good influence upon those around them. His aged widow is still living and has not attained to the age of eighty-seven years. She makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Angel, and, notwithstanding her years, is very active in mind and body.
Mrs. Susan Angel was about ten years old when her parents came to this county, where she has spent her life. She was one of the elder children of quite a large family, and of her union with our subject there have been born fourteen children, three of whom are deceased, having died young - James, David and one unnamed. Lavina, the eldest daughter, is the wife of Henry Bridgeman, and they live on a farm, in Shelby County, this State; Mary E. is the wife of Thomas B. Cully, a farmer of township 16, range 11; Thomas married Miss Sally Weston, and operates a tile factory in Christian County; Elizabeth married George H. Jordan, a farmer of Shelby County; Margaret, Mrs. W. H. Foster, is a resident of Jacksonville; John W. married Elizabeth Jolly, and they live on a farm in Shelby County; Addie M. remains at home with her parents; Sarah I. Is the wife of Charles W. Martin, a farmer of this county; George remains at home, also Henry B., the youngest; Lewis E. is a resident of Kansas City, Mo.
Mr. and Mrs. Angel and nearly all of their children are active members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church in which our subject officiates as Steward
and Trustee. He cast his first presidential vote for James K. Polk, and
gives his unqualified support to the Democratic party.
WILLIAM H. ANGELO. For a period of nearly twenty years, since the year of 1869, the subject of this sketch has been established at his present homestead, which comprises seventy acres of choice land, located on section 15, township 14, range 11. He came to this county in the fifties from Crawford County, Pa., where he was born June 25, 1821. He is a twin son of James and Lucy (McDowell) Angelo, mention of whom is made in the sketch of Thomas M. Angelo, which will be found on another page in this volume. The parents came to this county at an early day, and are both long since deceased, passing away when quite aged.
The subject of this sketch was a lad of ten years when his parents made the journey overland from Pennsylvania to this county, and settled upon a tract of wild land on what is now known as Buck Horn Prairie, from which the father built up a good farm and where the parents spent their last days, the father passing away first and the mother joining her husband in the silent land four weeks later.
The boyhood and youth of our subject were spent in a manner common
to the sons of pioneer farmers, and when reaching manhood and soon after
becoming of age, he was married to Miss Sarah Northcutt, who was born in
this county in 1830. Her parents were natives of Kentucky, and early settlers
of this county, where they died in middle life. Of this union there have
been born two children, the eldest son, William H., Jr., married a Miss
James, and they live in Lynnville, of which he is the Postmaster, and where
he carries on general merchandising. Elizabeth is married and living in
the West. Mr. Angelo without making any great stir in the world, pursues
the even tenor of his way as an honest man and a good citizen, voting the
straight Democratic ticket and striving to do as little harm as possible.
THOMAS M. ANGELO. All his life long the subject of this sketch has been familiar with agricultural pursuits, and that he has met with success, is but the natural result of his experience, perseverance and industry. He is the owner of a fine farm of 280 acres, located on sections 8, 9, and 10, township 14, range 11, the residence being on section 8. The most of his land is under a good state of cultivation, and he has comfortable farm buildings. He has made his home here for the long period of thirty-four years, having taken possession of the place in 1855. It is hardly necessary to say that it then bore little resemblance to its present condition, being in a wild state, without buildings or other improvements. It has taken years of labor and involved an outlay of thousands of dollars to bring the farm to a point which places it on an equality with those which have been built up by the better class of men in this county.
Mr. Angelo was born in Crawford County, Pa., May 25, 1825, and was brought by his parents to this county at an early day, they settling on what is known as Buck Horn Prairie. His father, James Angelo, was a native of New Jersey, and it is supposed was born of American parents. He was reared in his native State, and being of an adventurous disposition, went to sea and followed the life of a sailor until his marriage, which occurred not farm from Meadville, Crawford Co., Pa. His bride, Miss Lucy McDowell, was born and reared in that county, and was of an excellent family of Scotch ancestry.
After their marriage, the parents of our subject settled on a farm in Crawford County, where all their children, seven sons, were born, and all lived to mature years. Five were married, and four are yet living. Thomas M. was the youngest but one, and was a little boy of five when his parents came in 1830, to Illinois. The journey was made overland with teams, and upon their arrival in this county, the father purchased a claim on what is now Buck Horn Prairie, securing his title to the land when it came into the market. He with his family endured all the hardships and privations of life on the frontier, but he succeeded in gathering around him many comforts and built up a good home, where he spent the remainder of his life, passing away at the advanced age of ninety-five years. He was a man of more than ordinary ability, active, industrious and enterprising, in politics a sound Democrat, and in religion, a devout Methodist.
The mother of our subject survived her husband only about four weeks, dying at the age of seventy-five years. She also was a member of the Methodist Church, and was one of the typical pioneer wives and mothers who stood bravely by their husbands' side during the trying times of life in the wilderness, and were ever faithful and efficient helpmates. The children could only receive a limited education, but they were trained to habits of industry and economy, and the sentiments of honor which laid the basis of a character necessary to all good citizenship.
Our subject, upon reaching man's estate, desirous of establishing a fireside of his own, was first married in Macoupin County, Ill., to Miss Elizabeth Hoover, a lady of German descent, who was born and reared in that county, of which her parents were early settlers. Her father, Felix Hoover, died there. Of this union there were born three children, and Mrs. Elizabeth Hoover departed this life at her home in this county in April, 1864. Their eldest son, Samuel, married Miss Hattie Mawson, and lives on a farm in the same township as his father; Sarah J. is the wife of David N. Markillie, and they live on a farm in Scott County; William T. married Ellen Black, and is engaged as a practicing physician in California.
Mr. Angelo, in 1866, contracted a second marriage with Mrs. Mary J. (Horton) Marker, a native of Iowa, born and reared in Jefferson County. Of her first marriage there was one child, Samantha E., now the wife of Alonzo Groves, of Franklin, this county. Mrs. Mary J. Angelo died very suddenly while ministering to the wants of a sick son in Franklin. Of her marriage with our subject, there had been born two children, the eldest of whom, Alonzo E., married Mrs. Jennie Cassler, and they live on a farm in Sangamon County; George E. remains at home, the chief assistant of his father on the farm.
Our subject was married to his present wife, formerly Mrs. Polly (Horton) Stockton, April 4, 1889. This lady was born in Fulton County, this State, Aug. 6, 1855, and is the daughter of William and Sarah J. (Dennis) Horton, the father a native of Ohio, and the mother of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Horton were married in Coshocton County, Ohio, where they began life together on a farm, and resided until after the birth of eight children. Then in the fifties, they came to this county, settling near its southern line where the father took up land and established a homestead upon which he lived until departing hence, about 1883, after he had reached his three-score years and ten. The mother survives, and is now seventy-six years old; she lives at the old farm in Fulton County, and is a member in good standing of the Baptist Church.
Mrs. Polly Angelo was reared to womanhood under the parental roof,
and was first married in Hancock County, this State, to C. W. Stockton,
by whom she became the mother of two children, Ida and Eugene, who remain
with her. Mr. Angelo, politically, is a sound Republican, and in religion
is a Methodist. For twelve years he served as a Justice of the Peace. He
is the Master of Lodge No. 332, A. F. & A. M. at Lynnville, in which
he has filled all the chairs. He is also a member of Encampment No. 9,
I. O. O. F., of Jacksonville, and of Subordinate Lodge No. 356, at Lynnville,
in which he has filled all the chairs several times, and of which he is
NEWTON CLOUD ANTROBUS, who has so long been the skilled blacksmith of Chapin, and in that capacity won golden opinions from those who have sought his services, is a native of the county, and a true Illinoisan. He was born upon the 29th of December, 1821; his parents were Thomas and Mary (Wyatt) Antrobus, who were natives of Kentucky, and who came to Morgan County in its early days, and were among the pioneers. His father served as a soldier in the Black Hawk War, and passed through some most exciting and thrilling experiences.
The subject of our sketch was reared to manhood in this county, and received what education was obtainable, although at that time the facilities for such acquisition were not what they now are, and it is therefore somewhat limited. He began to learn his trade at the age of eighteen, after which he went into business for himself at Winchester. In 1852 he came to Bethel Village, in this county, and there continued in business until 1885, when he removed to Chapin, where he has continued since that time. He has quite a large trade built up, and is considered a good workman.
Mr. Antrobus was married, on the 3d of October, 1854, t5o Nancy J. Sullins, This lady was born on the 6th of October, 1833, in Tennessee, and came to this county with her parents, Larkin and Mary Sullins, in 1834. They decided to locate in Scott County, but when their daughter was about twelve years of age came to Morgan County, where they remained until their decease. The family circle of our subject included four children, only two of whom, however, it was given him to bring to years of maturity, viz: George T. and Edward F. George T. is a blacksmith and dealer in agricultural implements at Bethel. He married Minnie turner, and they have one child, a daughter, Mildred. Edward F. lives in Chapin; he married Ella Eagan, and by occupation is a telegraph operator. The two deceased are William and Josephine. The parents of Mrs. Antrobus had quite a large family, of whom but five survive: Martha, the wife of Burton Funk, of Scott County; Margaret, now Mrs. Perry Jones, also of Scott County; Thurman of this county; Wesley, who resides in Scott County, and the wife of our subject, who was the youngest member of the family. She was brought up to attend the Methodist Protestant Church, and has always continued an active member.
The subject of our sketch was formerly a member of the I.O.O.F. society;
he is a true citizen and of public spirit. He has always been a stanch
Republican, supporting both by his ballot and influence the principles
and policy of the party. He makes his religious home within the pale of
the Methodist Protestant Church, and has filled many important offices
connected therewith. In both religious, business, and political circles
he is esteemed and enjoys the confidence of the community at large, which
sentiments are also extended to his family.
ISRAEL ARMITAGE. The valuable farm property of this gentleman comprises 140 acres of land lying on section 26, adjacent to the village of Exeter, Scott County. He is numbered among the leading men of his township, is more than ordinarily intelligent and possesses a good education, being an especially fine penman. He was born and reared in Yorkshire, England, first opening his eyes to the light Nov. 27, 1828. He lived there until a lad of twelve years, then, in the spring of 1840, came to America with his parents.
In making this voyage, the Armitage family boarded the sailing vessel "Sidney" at Liverpool, which landed them six weeks later in the city of New Orleans. At that point they boarded a Mississippi steamboat, the "Meteor," upon which they remained five days and five hours, and were then transferred to the packet "Eagle", which conveyed them to Greene County, this State. The balance of their journey was completed on a prairie schooner drawn by oxen, and the father took up a tract of land, where he improved a farm, and upon which our subject grew to man's estate. In 1853 Mr. Armitage, leaving the farm, came to Exeter and secured the land which he now owns and occupies. This he operated in partnership with his father and brothers, and also purchased land adjoining the town limits, together with mill property, and in due time was the owner of 280 acres. He cultivated the soil and carried on the mill successfully, shipping flour to New Orleans, Chicago, New York and Boston, some of it going to Europe and assisting to provision the army during the Crimean War.
In 1870 our subject and his partners dissolved, and there fell to Mr. Armitage 120 acres, to which he afterward added twenty acres adjoining, and this comprises his present homestead. Here he has made all the improvements, and it is regarded as one of the most desirable estates in the township. There is a sufficient quality of native timber and an excellent vein of coal, in places about three feet thick, under eighty acres. The land is watered by Mauvaisterre Creek, and admirably adapted to raising all kinds of grain. Mr. Armitage raises considerable live-stock, cattle, horses and swine. He keeps about twelve head of horses, using two teams in the farm work. His operations have been conducted with that system and good order which are the surest guarantee of success.
Our subject was first married in Macoupin County, this State, Oct. 20, 1855, to Miss Elizabeth Cundall. This lady was born in Chesterfield, Ill., and died in 1872. The eldest of their five children, Charles E. is married, and is employed as a machinist in Waterbury, Conn.; Mary Ann died when about two and a half years old; Israel W. and Elihu W., twins, are at home with their father. Carrie is the wife of Douglas Borum, a farmer and veterinary surgeon of Exeter, who was graduated in one of the schools of Toronto, and has a good understanding of his profession.
In 1873 Mr. Armitage contracted a second matrimonial alliance with Miss Almara J. Sweeney, who was born in Sangamon County, this State, and is now the mother of six children, namely: Belle, William C. deceased, Judith A., Annie, Stewart and Fred. Mr. Armitage is a sound Republican, and has frequently been sent as a delegate to the county conventions. He was for a number of years School Director in his district, and has served as Road Supervisor.
The father of our subject was Elihu Armitage, a native of Yorkshire, England, and the son of Joshua Armitage, who was also born there, and engaged as a farmer and miller. The latter became well-to-do, and was numbered among the English gentry. The great-grandfather of our subject engaged in a limited degree in farming, but was mostly connected with educational matters, gained the title of Professor, and conducted a school.
In 1840, as before stated, the father of our subject came to America,
and locating near Carrollton, purchased 280 acres of improved land. He
sold this in 1852, and purchased land in Scott County, where he prosecuted
agriculture a number of years and then retired from active labor. He spent
his last days with his son, our subject, and died in 1880, at the advanced
age of eighty-four. He was a member of the Episcopal Church, and a Republican
in politics. The maiden name of the mother of our subject was Judith Johnson,
and she was born in Yorkshire, England. Her father was also a native of
Yorkshire, but of Welsh descent. Grandfather Johnson carried on farming
and milling in Yorkshire, and was the owner of a good property. Mrs. Armitage
died in Greene County, this State, in 1851. The parental family included
thirteen children, all of whom, with one exception, lived to mature years.
Elihu lives in Exeter, Scott County; Ann lives in Alton; Annis and Isaac
are deceased; Christiana resides in Texas; Elizabeth is deceased; Israel,
our subject, and Mary were twins, and the latter is a resident of Chicago;
Hannah lives in Sadorus, Ill.; Job died of cholera about 1873; Felix died
in Camp Butler; Sarah is deceased, and Adah lives in Chicago.
LAFAYETTE ARNOLD, a prosperous farmer of Scott County, and one of its natives, was born April 12, 1836. His father, Michael Arnold, was a native of North Carolina, and a veteran of the War of 1812. He served with distinguished bravery under Gen. Jackson, participating in most of the battles of that war, and serving through until its close. In 1827 he came to Illinois and located in Scott County. His farm originally contained 240 acres of land, which he improved in a good manner. He was ranked as a good business man, and consequently made a success of agricultural pursuits. He died in 1862, at the age of seventy-three years. Politically, he was a Democrat, and, religiously, affiliated with the Universalist Church. His wife, the mother of Lafayette, before her marriage was named Fanny Funk. She was a native of Virginia, and an early settler of this State. She was the mother of twelve children, the following six of whom are living: Polly, Lavina, Julia, Louisa, Lafayette and Adaline.
Lafayette Arnold grew up to manhood on a farm, and secured a very good education when his advantages for procuring such are considered. He worked on the farm until Aug. 8, 1862, when he enlisted in the 129th Illinois Infantry. His regiment was mustered in at Pontiac, and went immediately to the front, where it was soon engaged in the stern realities of war. Mr. Arnold was engaged in many battles, among some of which may be mentioned Crab Orchard, Buzzard's Roost, Snake Creek Gap, Chattahoochie River, Resaca, Peach Tree Creek, Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta and Jonesboro, and was under Hooker when Sherman left Atlanta and marched to the sea. On his return from the sea the battles of Bentonville, Goldsboro and Averysboro were participated in by Mr. Arnold, and later he was present at the surrender of Johnson, which was one of the closing scenes of the war. He marched to Washington City, and there took part in the grand review. He was mustered out at Chicago in June, 1865, and thus closed a most brilliant war record.
After the war was over Mr. Arnold accepted a position as clerk in the general store of John C. Hagler, of Exeter, a business in which he continued for three years, when he was offered a school to teach, which offer was accepted, and he continued teaching for four or five years. He then purchased a small farm near Exeter, and beginning in a modest way, he soon accumulated enough to purchase his present property, a beautiful farm of 160 acres of well-improved land. He has done the most of the work of improving his farm with his own hands. He has erected buildings that are a credit to the place, his house being notably roomy and convenient. Upon his farm are springs which supply clear, sparkling water the year around, and lovely groves and orchards assist in making up a grand landscape. Small fruit in abundance and of the finest quality is produced on this farm; indeed, it possesses all the requisites that the most exacting farmer could desire. He takes great pride in raising the different varieties of wheat, thus benefitting his brother farmers, as by so experimenting he is enabled to ascertain the seeds which are best adapted to this part of the country. He has produced seven varieties of wheat, finding a market for it in different States, and from which he has made money. He has a fine herd of cattle, and raises many hogs.
Mr. Arnold has been married twice. His first wife was Miss Maggie D. Creel, a native of Green County, Ky. They were married Aug. 29, 1867, and she died Aug. 6, 1873. To this union was born one child - Cordell. Mr. Arnold was married a second time, July 11, 1876, to Miss Mamie Thompson, a native of this county. This marriage produced three children - George, Clyde and Fannie.
Mr. Arnold ranks among the prominent and influential farmers of Bluffs,
and is at present at the head of the School Board, and has been for years.
He has also been Superintendent of roads. He is a prominent member of the
I. O. O. F., and has been since 1861. He is Post Commander of the G. A.
R. at Bluffs, and takes great pride in this organization.
CHARLES W. AUGUSTINE is living on section 36, township 16, range 13, and was born on the section where he now lives. His birth occurred Jan. 21, 1836, and if there is a man in the State of Illinois who deserves the appellation "old settler," and all the honors that cluster around such a personage, it is the one whose name heads this sketch.
Our subject was the son of Charles and Christina (Stump) Augustine. The elder Augustine was of French descent. He was born in Ohio, and located in Canada for a time. He emigrated to Morgan County, Ill., in 1830, the winter of the deep snow. He died here in 1845, his wife preceding him to the grave four months. They were the parents of six children, three of whom survive: Lydia, widow of John Hyde, of ths county; Mary J. and Charles W. the Following are deceased: Cornelius, George W. and Christina. Mr. Augustine, Sr. made his original purchase of land in section 36, township 16l, and range 13, consisting of 160 acres. He later on bought an additional quarter-section and also seventy-five acres of timber land in Scott County, Ill. When he landed in Morgan County he had exactly $60, and from this small beginning he attained the distinction of being one of the wealthiest farmers in his neighborhood. Upon his first claim he erected a log cabin, which was constructed in the manner of the early days, and in which the subject of this sketch was born. As his circumstances became better he improved his farm more, and in due time built a good, substantial farm house. He was one of the early members of the Baptist Church at Meredosia, and was enthusiastic in religious matters. The first plow he owned, when he came to this country, was one of the old wooden-mold-board style, and his other farming implements were correspondingly primitive. Stoves were nearly unknown in those days, fireplaces being the rule. Politically, the elder Augustine was a Whig, and it is said that he was a man of intelligence and decided convictions.
Charles W. Augustine is one of the class of pioneers who came to this country with their parents, and were reared amid the hardships and privations that usually surround the early settler. He attended school a few weeks each winter, in the log school house and received his limited book-learning in the old-fashioned way. In those days the only schools that obtained were of the subscription sort, each of the parents paying a stated amount for their children's tuition and the teacher "boarding around," as it was called. The apparatus that the schools of today employ to teach children is all that could be desired, while the apparatus of the early settler consisted of a chunk of chalk and a good sized birch rod. Mr. Augustine attended the public schools at a later period of his boyhood. He has been in agricultural pursuits his entire life, and is one of the many who has witnessed the wonderful growth of this county, from a farmer's standpoint.
Mr. Augustine was first married, Nov. 2, 1865, to Miss Ruth Hodges, who was also a native of Morgan County. She was the daughter of Thomas Hodges, one of the pioneers of this county. This wife died. He was married the second time Jan. 30, 1884. The maiden of his second wife was Ella Troy, a native of Clermont County, Ohio, who was born Jan. 1, 1855. She is a daughter of George (deceased) and Martha Troy. Her father was a native of Clermont County, Ohio, while her mother was born in West Virginia, and came to Warren County, Ohio, when eleven years old.
Charles W. Augustine settled on his present farm early in the sixties.
He erected his present fine residence in the fall of 1874, and has now
a splendid home. The furnishings of his house are in keeping with all the
surroundings. He owns 273 acres of land, every acre of which is under good
cultivation. Politically,. He is a Democrat, and has served six years as
School Trustee, and has also held the office of Township Road Commissioner.
His wife is a communicant of the Presbyterian Church. It may be said that
Mr. Augustine is one of the best farmers and citizens of his neighborhood
and still keep within the strict line of truth.
County main page
materials contained on these pages are furnished
for the free use of
individuals engaged in researching their