HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY, ILLINOIS
Its Past and present
Chicago: Donnelley, Loyd & Co., Publishers, 1878.
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1975)
TANDY, WM. N. Dr., of Franklin, was born in Green Co., Ky., June 4, 1814; parents were Smith and Susan Tandy, whose maiden name was Williams. William received his preliminary education in a subscription school, held in a log cabin. While he was quite young his father departed this life; when seventeen years old he concluded to go it on his own hook, and accordingly moved from Kentucky to Palmyra, Missouri, in 1831; there took up the practice of medicine with Dr. Wm. Torrence; from Palmyra he moved to Florida, Monroe Co., Mo.; married Elizabeth Spence, of Virginia, Sept. 15, 1835; a resident there twelve years; in 1859 his wife died, leaving to his care a family of ten children, eight of whom are living: Adolphus, deceased; Mary B., Emily S., Henrietta M., Thomas S., William A., deceased, Leonidas W., Edwin, Elizabeth, Willie, Ann. In the same year he married Mrs. Jane Ely, of Lick Creek, Rolls Co., Mo.; three children: Ella J., Jessie M., Orrin E. In 1865 first moved to Morgan Co., and settled in Franklin; a permanent resident there since 1872; thirteen years a practical physician in the State, and in the medical fraternity for thirty years.
TANKASLERY, PARMELIA (MRS.), farmer, Sec. 30, daughter of William and Sarah McCuen, natives of Pennsylvania; the lady whose good name heads this sketch was born November 8, 1821; when only six months old, had to endure the rigors of a long journey; her parents at that time moved and settled near Tiffin, Ohio; her father purchased on his arrival in Ohio a good tract of land, improved it and remained there nineteen years; Mr. McCuen had long conceived a desire to see the famous Prairie State, but death came too soon, and blasted the bright hopes of the little family; his demise occurred in 1838; he was, during his life, a blacksmith and farmer; the moved lived but two years later, and was interred in the same burial ground. The subject of this biography is the seventeenth child out of a family of twenty-one children! There were eleven girls and ten boys; of this interesting family sixteen lived to be married and raise large families; the youngest child - a girl - was in her fiftieth year when her mother died; two were school teachers, viz: James and John; after the death of the parents the family scattered, Parmelia moving to Liberty township; lived there three years; was married March 16, 1843, to Mr. Tankaslery; they have been blessed with many children, viz: thursey Anne, Sarah E., George W., Robert H., Mary Joanna, Martha E., Alvira, Charles F., Jeremiah, Margaret, Phoebe E., and George E.; Thursey Anne married James Kinney, and died Aug. 5, 1859; Charles and Robert died some years ago; in 1868, moved to Carrollton, Greene County; from there to Jacksonville, and while a resident of that city the husband and father passed away to his God, which sad event occurred March 9, 1869; after the demise of her husband, in 1872 moved to Sec. 30; George W. Enlisted in the 25th Regt. O.V.I., and served three years; Mrs. Tankaslery had in the Union army twenty-eight nephews, one son, and two brothers, and cousins - their name is legion; at the death of her parents there were one hundred and three grandchildren, twenty-five great grandchildren; Mrs. Tankaslery has now living, direct from her own family, sixteen grandchildren, and one great grandchild; is a strict member of the Methodist Church.
TAYLOR, C. R., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. I, P.O. Jacksonville, was born on his father's farm in Morgan Co., Dec. 2, 1840; with exception of eight months and time spent in Uncle Sam's service, has been a resident of Morgan Co. At second call for volunteers, when the call came for 300,000 troops, Mr. Taylor, enlisted at Jacksonville, in Co. G, 1st Missouri Cav., mustered into service at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. During his stay in the army, Mr. Taylor was engaged principally in scouting expeditions; wounded near New Madrid. Mr. Taylor's record in the army is a bright page in his history; many marvelous escapes were made by him while in the service; he bears the reputation among those who have his acquaintance, of having acquitted himself in the field in a very creditable manner; honorably discharged at St. Louis, Mo., August, 1864; returned to Morgan Co.; married Mary F. Scott, Feb. 27, 1868, a resident of Morgan Co.; owns 137½ acres; is worth $10,000.
TAYLOR, E. A., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 35, P.O. Jacksonville, son of George and Polly E. Taylor; born in Shelby Co., Ky., at the age of two years parents moved to Morgan County, Ill., settling nine miles southeast of Jacksonville. E. A. Taylor received education in district schools when the work of the farm would permit; in 1854, married Susan Soney, daughter of Samuel and Susan T. Mr. Taylor is a man of energy and will; has acquired a comfortable property, consisting of 140 acres, nine miles southeast of Jacksonville. Six children were born to them, four living: Francis J., Cornelius C., Orlando K., and Charles A.
TAYLOR, GEORGE, retired farmer, r ss College w Lurton; son of Henry A. and Frances Taylor, natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively. George was born on his father's farm, in Jefferson Co., Ky., July 20, 1805; remained on the farm until twenty-four years of age; received a subscription school education. George Taylor, although ranked among the wealthy prominent men of this county, found it impossible to receive a liberal schooling, but is possessed of a great natural ability. In 1832 he moved to Morgan Co., bringing his wife and two children; maiden name of wife, Polly E. Tucker. He located nine miles southeast of Jacksonville; first purchased ninety-five and one-half acres. In his judgment Illinois was destined to become a leading State, and Mr. Taylor invested largely in land, and at one time owned some 1300 acres. He had no better chances for a fortune than many boys of today, but always realized the fact that time is money.
TAYLOR, J. C., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 36, P.O. Jacksonville, son of John and Nancy Taylor, whose maiden name was Conahan. The head of the family was a man in good circumstances in Penn, Ohio, where young Taylor grew to mature years; when old enough, attended a subscription school; his preliminary education was derived from the common spelling book, and completed in the New Testament; at twenty-five he married Miss Isabel Gilleland. For thirty years Mr. Taylor resided in Ohio; in 1863, he moved to Morgan Co., where he bought 320 acres of land, some four miles southeast of Jacksonville. Mr. Taylor owns a fine property, and his enterprise and liberality are well known.
TAYLOR, JAMES H. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 30, P.O. Waverly; Mr. Taylor was born in Kentucky, Jan. 10, 1833; when but six years of age his parents moved to Illinois, and located in Macoupin County, where James grew up with vigorous constitution and native energy; the little education he received in early youth, was obtained by means of subscription; his first teacher was R. J. Hanshaw, a Virginian by birth, who moved with the parents of James to Illinois; in his twenty-second year, in 1855, Mr. Taylor married Rebecca T. Dennis, a daughter of Jas. M. and Sarah; from boyhood to manhood James Taylor has followed successfully the pursuits of agriculture; by this marriage eight children, seven of whom are living: Geo. P., Laura E., Thos. N., Sarah E., Rumsey S., Mary C., and Stella.
TAYLOR, SPENCER (S. Taylor & Sons) r N. Main nr. Independence av. Was born November 4, 1820, in Lexington Ky. Came to Jacksonville in the Fall of 1829; was married to Miss Elizabeth Hilligass March 9, 1842. She was born in the State of New York Dec. 28, 1820. They have ten children living, namely: Mary E. born Jan. 25, 1845; Wm. S., born Feb. 5, 1847; George W., born July 29, 1849; Anderson F., born Oct. 24, 1851; John S., born March 26, 1854; Martin A., born March 1, 1856; Leslie H., born 1858; Lewis H., born Oct. 23, 1859; and Charles L., born Feb. 10, 1862.
TEEL, JOSEPH E., farmer and stock raiser, Joseph Teel was the oldest of a family of nine children; his father was a native of Virginia, where the subject of this sketch first saw the light, in the town of Woburn; in his native place he passed away his youthful days; in his 19th year he married Miss Mary Johonat, who was born in Goffstown, New Hampshire; for a number of years Mr. Teel followed farming in Virginia, and also supplied the markets with country produce; in 1854 he started for the West, and first settled in Cannelton, Indiana, becoming employed as a coal_miner; originally it was his intention to oversee a cotton factory, to be set in operation by an eastern firm, which proved a failure; it should have been stated Mrs. Teel died in 1852, prior to Mr. Teel's departure for the West; by this marriage five children, four of whom are now living: Albert, married Miss Jane Read, and now resides in Centralia, Mo.; Mary W., married James Bowland, and resides in Iowa; Ann Eliza, married Joseph Pile, of Pike County, Illinois, and James, married Matilda Beasely, of Morgan County; by second marriage, nine children: Fanny, who married Monterey Jones, of Boone County, Missouri; Margaret, Valeria, Charles and Bertha. In 1856, Mr. Teel moved to Morgan County; he first became a renter; in 1860 he had the misfortune to lose his all by fire; in his misfortune he had the sympathy of all, being held in high esteem by his many friends. For many years of his life Mr. Teel worked early and late to supply the wants of a growing family; although not owning as large a property as some, owning 160 acres of well improved land, gotten together by years of labor that would have discouraged men of less energy; it may be well to mention here the son of Mr. Teel, Albert, enlisted in Company I, 32d Illinois Infantry, at Springfield, Illinois, for three years service; from this regiment he was honorably discharged, and joined the 101st Regiment, participating in battles of Shiloh, Plymouth, and many other smaller engagements; he was honorably discharged at Camp Butler; James also enlisted in the 10th Illinois Cavalry, at Camp Butler, in service on the frontier of Texas.
THAYER, G. H. furniture dealer, south side Square, Waverly; was born in Amherst, Mass., Jan. 7, 1825; removed to Waverly with the family, April, 1846; is a graduate of Illinois College, class '49; was received into partnership with his father, Mr. Asahel Thayer, who had established himself in the furniture trade several years before, and with whom he continued until Jan. 1, 1877, when he became sole proprietor, and in which business he is still engaged, at the old stand, south side of the Square. His father, Mr. Asahel Thayer, was born in Amherst, Mass., Feb. 7, 1790; removed to Chatham, Sangamon County, this State, May, 1839; in the spring of 1846, he removed to Waverly; he saw its inhabitants, and those of the surrounding country, going to Jacksonville, Springfield, and Carlinville, to do their trading, and the great advantage that would accrue to Waverly if the people could have sufficient inducements to patronize their own town. He accordingly opened, in the spring of that year, the then largest stock of goods in the place, and by his own untiring energy and superior business qualifications, with the aid of other merchants, most of whom he induced to come in, he had the satisfaction, in a very few years, of seeing his anticipations realized in its becoming a central point of trade, and increasing to three or four times its former size; he was one of Waverly's most respected citizens, and for nearly sixty-three years a member of the Masonic fraternity; he continued to reside in Waverly until September, 1877, when he removed with his daughter, Mrs. Fannie Crooker, to Taylorville, Christian County, where he died, oct. 27, 1877, at the residence of his son-in-law, G. W. Crooker, Esq. His body was brought to Waverly Oct. 30th, and the funeral services were held in the Congregational church, of which he had been a member for more than thirty years, and a professor of religion more than sixty-three. His remains were borne thence to the East cemetery, where they rest beside those of his wife and daughter Helen.
THOMPSON, ANDREW J. farmer and stock raiser, prop. Of coal bank two miles north, Sec. 5, P.O. Bethel. Born in Ohio, Hamilton Co., Dec. 9, 1815; married 1839, to Mary J. Whitaker, born in Shelby Co. Have ten children: Laura, Lewis, Emily, Julia, Effie, Louie, Frank, Charlie, Edward, Harry.
THOMPSON, GEORGE W. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 20, P.O. Prentice. The subject of this sketch is the oldest son of William M. and Matilda Thompson. William Thompson was born in Ireland; in his fourteenth year, he accompanied his parents to America; from New York, on arrival in the new world, he made his way to Pennsylvania, where he became a farmer; during the year 1838, as near as can be ascertained, he settled in Morgan County on farm property; some years form this date he was united in marriage to Matilda Robinson, a daughter of Joel Robinson; of eight children born of this marriage, four are living: Mary Ann, Sarah E., John E., and George W. Mr. Thompson has been a resident of Morgan County since the date mentioned; through industry he has accumulated wealth and position; the prominence occupied in agriculture has in no wise detached from his kindness of heart and sympathetic nature. George W., son of William, a patron of this work, was born in Morgan County, where he received a liberal education; Jan. 9, 1878, he was united in marriage to Miss Myra Black; Mrs. Thompson was born near Jacksonville, Morgan County.
THOMPSON, JOHN, farmer, Sec. 18, P.O. Jacksonville, son of John and Mary Thompson. Th subject of this sketch was born in Georgetown, Ky., Jan. 8, 1830; his father was an extensive trader and speculator, and at one time was the owner of a large plantation in Virginia; he was a very prosperous man until the breaking out of the rebellion, when in common with others he became nearly bankrupt. For thirty years John remained in Virginia, working on the estate of his father, before and after his decease, and in conjunction with a brother fell heir to a part of the estate mentioned; December, 1852, he married Miss Virginia Craver, daughter of William and Eleanor Craver; five children: Samuel, born 1856; Mary, May 12, 1861; Claude, June 29, 1864; George, Dec. 23, 1866, and Sarah, September, 1871.
THOMPSON, JOHN M., farmer, Sec. 27, P.O. Concord; born in Ross County, Ohio, in September, 1816; married Oct. 2, 1840, to Miss Harriet A. Pitner, born in Tennessee, near Nashville, Aug. 30, 1819; had eight children, four dead: Elizabeth Jane, born Oct. 2, 1841, died July 11, 1847; William Henry, Aug. 10, 1843; Oswell Thomas, Nov. 2, 1845, died July 25, 1847; Martha Ellen, March 5, 1848; Robert Guthery, Sept, 8, 1850; James Newton, Sept., 1853, died Dec. 10, 1855; Charles Washington, Oct. 8, 1855; John Franklin, Sept. 18, 1858, died Feb. 23, 1865; he came to this county March 15, 1826, locating three miles north of North Prairie; owns 220 acres, value $15,000.
THOMPSON, PRESTON B. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 2, P.O. Murrayville. This gentleman's father, John Thompson, was a native of the "Old Dominion." By consulting some historical dates of the early settlement of America, we are pleased to be able to say that the Thompsons immigrated from the mother country about the year 1700, and settled in Virginia. The ancestry were Scotch-Irish, a line of blood relation that gave to the father of our subject the keen sagacity of the Scotchman, and the impulsive, hospitable, courageous character of the Irishman. Mr. Thompson was born in 1792; when he was twenty-one years old, he married Miss Mary Bandy, and soon after, in company with his cousin, John Thompson, packed their goods in a one-horse, two-wheel cart, and left the home of his father in Kentucky, moving overland toward the setting sun. After a weary travel of several weeks, settled in Greene County, this State; this was in 1813. The country was but sparsely settled, the houses were distant from four to ten miles, wolves and deer ran to and fro through the open forest, the enemy of the white settler, the hostile Indian, had their wigwams spread all over the State. Mr. Thompson has often related to his family and neighbors that his whole capital, when he planted his stake in Greene County, was his "old woman", an ax, and fifty cents! Entered some government land, built a log cabin and moulded the first brick that was ever used in Greene County. The Indians becoming war-like young Thompson collected the neighboring settlements together, and swooped down on their wigwams, clearing them from the county and the adjoining counties; was commissioned a Captain in the Black Hawk war, and followed the fortunes of that pioneer war to its close; his whole life was mixed up with triumphs and dangers; he held the office of Justice of the Peace for more than thirty years, and served honestly and judiciously as County Commissioner for seventeen years, a proof of his sterling character, and when death summoned his spirit from its tabernacle of clay, left property, unencumbered, to the amount of $20,000; for nearly forty years, never bought anything on credit; died in 1865, aged 73 years. His wife survived him but a few years and died at the home of her son Peter, in Vernon County, Mo. The gentleman whose name stands at the head of this history, was born in Greene County, this State, March 3, 1833; during the years of his youth worked on his father's farm until the breaking out of the rebellion in the South, when he enlisted in Co. I, 61st Regt. Ill. Infantry; served through the several grades of Sergeant of his Company, participated in the battles of Corinth, Shiloh, and Britton's Lane; this last battle was against Forrest; after the battle pursued the rebel forces to near Iuka, Miss.; gave up the chase and marched to Bolivar, Tenn., where Mr. Thompson was discharged with the rank of Orderly Sergeant; was married in March, 1865, to Mrs. Sarah Whewell, daughter of James Seddon, by Rev. H. L. Johnson. They have had five children, Peter Edwin, John Warren, Laura Belle, Sarah S., and Mary Ellen. Mrs. Thompson's children by her former husband were: Robert H., Richard H., and Thomas A. Mr. Thompson is a devoted Democrat and his counsel is much sought for by his party.
THOMPSON, S. H. contractor and builder, and Mayor of the city of Jacksonville, r ws Church n North; was born in Morris County, N.J. April 4, 1832; came to Morgan County March 1, 1850, and has followed the above business since that time; was elected to the City Council in 1875; married Miss Harriet M. Schuremann in Feb. 1857 she was born in Essex County, N.J. August 21, 1838. They have three children living, Nettie M. born Oct. 3, 1861; Ida C. born Sept. 21, 1863, and Albert H. born Nov. 30, 1865.
THOMPSON, WILLIAM, farmer, P.O. Pisgah, was the third child of John and Sarah, natives of Scarborough, Eng.; over half a century ago the Thompson family took their departure from England to America; by way of St. Louis they made their way into the bounds of Morgan Co., settling in Lynnville and purchasing farm property; here William was born, March 2, 1848; when seven years old his father died, leaving a valuable estate, comprising over 1,000 acres; at the time of his death he ranked among the wealthy men of Morgan Co. By those intimately acquainted with him, he is described as a man of sterling character, and rose rapidly in his calling. The estate became divided up among nine children, and to his wife who survived him twenty-three years, who departed this life but a short time ago. William, who heads this sketch, became the possessor of eighty acres and considerable money; in his twenty-fifth year he married Miss Emma M. Marshall, daughter of Michael and Mary C. Marshall; this union was blessed with three children: Coza S., William F. and Carrie.
ERASTUS, section foreman,
Railway, Orleans. Was born in Ontario Co., N.Y., in 1832; served
at carpenter and joiner trade with B.F. Jenkins in East Bloomfield,
which he worked at for seventeen years, the last two years of which he
manufactured the Clifton Springs Agricultural Barometer, and then
railroading on the New York Central Road; came to Decatur in 1876, and
to this county in 1876. Married Marette C. Overacre in 1855; she was
in New York in 1827; have four children living: Francis J., Julia A.,
A. and Wendal E.; lost three children.
TICKNOR, L. F. fruit grower and market gardener, Sec. 10, P.O. Jacksonville; the subject of this sketch was born in Broome County, N.Y., Aug. 13, 1825, and removed to this county, March, 1858, and has resided here since that time; was married June 3, 1855, to Flora, daughter of John and Laura Thompson, of Cattaraugus County, N.Y., born Oct. 30, 1827; this union has been blessed by four children, viz: Leroy L., Aug. 31, 1856, now in company with his father; Flora Alena, Oct. 31, 1857; Elmer E., June 24, 1862, and Harry M., Aug. 16, 1868; Mr. Ticknor, in his early days, was brought up to the farm and dairy, his father being an extensive butter and cheese maker; he also traveled extensively through the South and West, but since his settlement here has devoted his industries specially to the growing of fruit and vegetables, in which he has been quite successful, and is the most extensive grower of fine fruits in the county, with perhaps one exception; his grounds comprise forty acres, beautifully located, showing evidences of the industry and able management of its owner on every hand.
TINDALL, SAMUEL, farmer and stock dealer, Sec 32, P. O. Jacksonville. Was born in Pennsylvania in 1825; came to this county in 1837; owns 375 acres, valued at $22,500. Married Ellen Moore, daughter of Dr. E. Moore, Feb. 21, 1856; she was born in this county; have one child - Edmund M., who is now a student at the Illinois College, Jacksonville. His father, I. N. Tindall, was a native of Delaware, and came to this county in 1837, and settled near where he is now living.
TOPLIFF, OLIVER W., minister Christian Church, Franklin; was born in Vermont, November 20, 1815, and remained a resident until 1831; he was then sixteen years of age; possessed of an adventurous disposition, he started from Vermont and made his way to the State of Ohio; here he remained twenty_five years; was there married to Clamanza Hoadly, of Ohio; four children blessed this union: Deala, Ladore, Hoadly, and Clarissa; while a resident of Ohio, Mr. Topliff was regularly ordained as a minister, and has held the pastorate of many different churches; possessed of a natural ability in any thing he might undertake, Mr. Topliff became a student of law, and also became skilled as a wagon maker; on the breaking out of the war he became chaplain of the 99th Regt. Ill. Vol., and remained in the service ten months; was a participant in the battles of Black River Bridge, Chapparal Hill, Grand Gulf, Raymond, siege of Vicksburg, and numerous engagements; for many years Mr. T. has been a resident of Franklin, and during that time has been well and favorably known.
TUKE, WILLIAM, renter, Sec. 2. P.O. Jacksonville. The subject of this sketch, was born in Yorkshire, Eng., July 15, 1840, and came to this country with his parents, in 1851; married, Feb. 6, 1865, to Sarah, daughter of Thomas and Sarah Stephenson, formerly of Yorks, Eng., born Aug. 15, 1838. This union has been blessed by five children: Gertie J., born March 16, 1866; Mary Ann, Dec. 10, 1869; Charles, March 29, 1872; David, Nov. 3, 1873; and Emma Belle, Nov. 23, 1875. Mr. Tuke enlisted in Co. F, 33d I.V.I., Aug. I, 1861 and was engaged in the battles of Vicksburg, Black River, Champion Hills, Magnolia Hills, etc.; was discharged Oct. 18, 1864; rents 110 acres of land.
TURNER, THOMAS, farmer and stock raiser, Waverly; was born in Lawrence County, Illinois, Jan. 1, 1819; has resided in Waverly since 1849; was married to Miss Harriet B. Massie; she was born March 18, 1822, in Scott County, Kentucky. They have four children: Alice A. born July 8, 1844; Clara B. born Aug. 20, 1845; Albert L. July 30, 1847; and Ida M. born Feb. 10, 1855.
TURNEY, ASA, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 13, P.O. Waverly; the above named gentleman was born in Wayne County, Illinois, Jan. 13, 1835; his father Isiah Turney, was a native of Wayne County, Kentucky, born Dec. 15, 1800; he remained in Kentucky up to his nineteenth year; after which he moved to Wayne County, Illinois, where he married Miss Judah Lee, a daughter of Edmund and Nancy Lee; maiden name, Lee; a distant relative of the late General Robert E. Lee, and a descendent of the Lees who took an active part in the Continental War. Isiah Turney, a farmer during his life, possessed of great ambition, achieved success in this vocation; in 1860 he was elected to the State Legislature in Morgan County; he passed the remainder of his life, in Scottville, Macoupin County; died May 3, 1876; an estimable citizen, his death was universally regretted by his many friends; liberally educated during the early years of his life, he began the study of medicine, ill health, however, compelled him to relinquish the profession, which was the dream of his younger days. His wife was born in South Carolina, Sept. 25, 1803; when two years old, her parents moved to Carthage, where the family opened the first tavern; from Tennessee the family moved to Kentucky, from which State Mrs. Turney accompanied a family to Wayne County, Illinois, and married Mr. Turney, her husband, in White County, Illinois, July 1820; by this marriage eleven children: Eliza Ann, deceased; Wm. F., Greene, deceased; Ellen, Harriet Jane, Moses, deceased; Asa, Drucilla, deceased; America, Thomas Benton, Hortense Ann; Asa grew to maturity in the counties of Macoupin and Morgan. March 7, 1861, he was united in marriage to Miss Nancy E. Hall, the daughter of Aaron and Nancy Hall; one child: Nancy, born in Sangamon County, Sept. 11, 1864.
1878 index page.
Morgan County main page