HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY, ILLINOIS
Its Past and present
Chicago: Donnelley, Loyd & Co., Publishers, 1878.
(reprinted by the Jacksonville Area Genealogical and Historical Society, 1975)
JOHN B. was born in New
N.H., March 16, 1796. At the district schools of his native town and at
New Ipswich Academy, he obtained a fair education, which, on leaving
at the age of twenty, he made use of by engaging in teaching. For four
years he was principal of a high school in Stamford, Ct., where he
acquainted with and married Miss Hannah M. Crissey, with whom he lived
to celebrate their golden wedding. Soon after marriage he removed to
and there established an extensive manufactory of palm_leaf hats, and
straw bonnets, one of the first of the kind in the United States. For
sale of the goods manufactured, he opened a wholesale store in New York
City, whither he removed in 1835, and, his store being in the immediate
vicinity, he was present as an interested and not idle spectator at the
great fire of December of that year. In 1837 he removed to Morgan Co.,
Ill.; settling on a farm on the north side of Diamond Grove, one mile
of Illinois College. Here he lived nine years, during which time his
sons received their education at the college. He was very favorably
as a friend by the students of those days, many of them receiving help
at his hands in their time of need, and all having a cordial welcome at
his hospitable home. In 1846 he removed to the now vicinity of Concord,
where he retained his residence until the close of his life. A short
previous to this removal, a church had been organized in the
out of a variety of elements found in the region, on a union basis, and
because of this feature of the organization, and because some of the
were from Concord, N.H., it received the name Concord. With this church
Mr. Fairbank, with his family, at once identified himself, and at a
of him of several hundred dollars over and above his subscription, he
its first house of worship. The building was located where Concord now
stands, and this was the starting of the town. In 1850, in connection
D. Wilder, his third son, Mr. F. opened a store near the church, and
after platted the town, and named it after the church. When the Rock
and St. Louis R.R. was projected, he interested himself in it at once,
and was for a number of years one of its directors. From 1854 to 1862,
he acted as general agent for Central Illinois, in the sale of
Reaper and Mower, and thus formed a very extensive business
throughout this part of the State. Mr. F. was very decidedly a public
man, and was always ready, often beyond his ability, to give a helping
hand in the furtherance of everything which had in view the public
whether in the sphere of civil affairs, education, philanthropy, or
In early life he became a Christian, and thereafter was most heartily
with all moral reforms and religious enterprises. While as yet it was
unpopular thing to do, he adopted total abstinence principles, as to
which he ever uncompromisingly maintained, and his practice was from
to last in perfect consistency with the principles he advocated. He was
especially interested in the cause of Foreign Missions, to which he
gladly his eldest son and a grand_daughter; who had grown up in his
as his own child, together with a not small portion of his yearly
Politically he was an old_line Whig, until the formation of the
party, with which he allied himself at once, because of its advocacy of
the anti_slavery principles he had always held. Through a long life of
mingled prosperity and adversity, in all relations of whatever nature,
he ever maintained the character of a true Christian gentleman, and
remarkably in the effort that was always his to be both just and
He died June 17, 1873, at the age of 77, and was buried in Diamond
Cemetery, where his body sleeps in a grave almost in sight of his first
Morgan Co. home. In Mr. Fairbank's family there were ten children, five
sons and five daughters. The latter all died in infancy, while the
all grew to manhood and four still live. The, oldest, Rev. Samuel B.
D.D., was born at Stamford, Ct., in 1822. He graduated from Illinois
at the age of eighteen, and from Andover Theological Seminary at
The following year he went as a missionary of the Am. Board, to India,
and was stationed at Ahmedungger, 200 miles east of Bombay, where he
continues to labor, having been in the foreign field over thirty years.
Before going out he was married to Miss Abbie Allen, of Oakham,
Co., Mass., who died in India, leaving two children, one of whom, now
Emma F. Smith, is till living, and is herself a missionary, being the
of Rev. Thomas S. Smith, of Jaffna, Ceylon. He was married again in
this time to Miss Mary Ballantine, daughter of a missionary, and born
India, who is his present wife. They have several children living,
of whom, two daughters and a son, are in this country being educated.
C. Fairbank, the second son, was born at Oakham, Mass., in 1825. While
attending Illinois College, failing health caused him to relinquish his
intellectual pursuits, and he became the home boy upon the farm,
with or near his parents until the father's death, and still having the
mother with him. He was married first in 1847, to Miss Hannah B.
daughter of the late Ebenezer Carter, and sister of Wm. C. Carter, of
She died in 1864, leaving three children: S. Allen, who married Miss
Eldred; Ellen M., now Mrs. Milton Matthews; and Mary E., all of whom
live in Morgan Co. He married his present wife, who was Miss Mary L.
daughter of Mr. Samuel Daniels, of Joy Prairie, in 1865, and they have
three children. James C. was for a time in company with his brother, D.
Wilder, in the store at Concord, then as stock dealer and farmer, and
his father in the machine agency. He is now living on the home farm,
is engaged somewhat extensively in the settlement of estates, the
of orphans,and like trusts. D. Wilder, the third son, was born at
Mass., April, 1829. Because of failing health when in college, he too
obliged to relinquish his studies and to give up the expectation of
the ministry. For a number of years he was engaged in teaching, then in
company with his father, and after, with his brother, James C., in the
Concord store, in the stock business and farming, and in the machine
In 1870 he opened his agricultural implement store in Jacksonville,
he now resides. He married in 1850, Sarah Epler, daughter of the late
Epler, of Cass Co., and sister of Judge Cyrus Epler, of Morgan. They
three children, the oldest of whom, Evelyn H., is now the wife of Prof.
Geo. W. Brown, jr., of the Jacksonville Business College. John B.
jr., the fourth son, was born Sept. 6, 1831, in Oakham, Mass. He
from Illinois College in 1857, and from Union Theo. Seminary, New York,
in 1860. He entered at once into the Congregational ministry, beginning
his work at Marengo and Garden Prairie, Ill., and continuing it at
and Fox Lake, in Wisconsin, at St. Joseph, Mich., where he remained
years, and at Fort Wayne, Ind., where he preached five years. He is now
pastor of the Congregational Church of Farmington, Fulton Co., Ill. He
married Miss Emily P. Mack, sister of Rev. Joseph A. Mack, in May,
She died in June, 1860, leaving a son, Herbert A., who is now in
College. To Miss Ruth A. Boyce, of Brooklyn, Wis., his present wife, he
was married in 1863. They have three children now living _ two sons and
a daughter. Edward B. Fairbank, the fifth son, was born in Morgan Co.,
May, 1841, and died at Concord, Sept. 1863, aged twenty_two. He was a
man of rare social and business qualities, and earnest Christian
and gave promise of a worthy future. His early death, which seemed
was mourned by all who knew him, for he was held in high esteem. All of
the sons of Mr. Fairbank have been, at some time, connected with
College, all have followed his example in engaging to a greater or less
extent in teaching, all early united with the church, all have been
their youth absolute teetotallers, and all have received and held the
of their fellow men.
FANNING, JAMES, SR., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 18, P.O. Youngblood. Nothing has proved so perplexing to the reader of American history, as a want in the chronology of the descent of her people, and it is our mission, as a faithful biographer, to fill this void with a part of the history of her people in this local work. The family of which we write are of the purest Milesian descent, being of the race of IR. Of the Hermonian line, and settled in Ireland more than 2,000 years ago. Joseph Fanning, grandfather of James, was born in Virginia. His parents' history is so obscure that it would be idle to go back any further in the line of descent here in America; was by trade a blacksmith, moved at an early day to Tennessee, finally settling in Morgan Co. in 1825; after a few years residence, having improved what is now the Henry Rawling estate, sold out and moved with his family, (viz: John, Robert, George, Joseph, Abraham, Jacob, Delila, Mary, Sampson, David, Andrew, (first wife's children); of the second, were: Nathan, William Archibald, Louise, and one other girl, name not known.) to Arkansas. The father of Mr. Fanning was born in Wirth Co., Va., and moved with his father to Tennessee, about the year 1820, in company with his brothers, George and Joseph; moved in a covered wagon over the wild and barren waste of prairie, settling in Madison Co., this State; thence moved with his brother, and settled on "Indian Creek,: Morgan Co.; lived there a short time, and returned to Giles Co., Tenn.; was married to Miss Nancy Galloway; the children to this union were: Martha C., Joseph, Mary, Ruth, Abraham, James, John, Sarah, Barbara Anne, and Sampson. After marriage, remained in Tennessee a few years, then moved with his family, in a one-horse, two-wheel cart; a yoke of oxen did the pulling; one of those faithful beasts was almost useless, as it was lame from a bad knee, when he landed on Hart's prairie; his whole capital would not foot up one dollar, but, had a bright intellect and an indomitable will, that helped him win his way through the harassing days of the early settlement of the then new State on the confines of civilization; improved a farm now owned by John Spires; next located on a farm fourteen miles south of Jacksonville; sold out, bought 150 acres in Sec. 18, a log house soon loomed up, that was afterward the hospitable stopping place for the care-worn preacher, and belated hunter; lived there continuously, except one year and six months; died Oct. 20, 1859, aged 62 years. His honored relict still lives to recount many incidents of the age of prairie wolves, and lives with her children. Mr. Fanning, during his lifetime, was a blacksmith, had not a word of learning, owned more than 1,500 acres of land, and gave to each child a quarter section of land at their marriage. The subject of this biography was born Nov. 18, 1829, in Morgan Co.; during youth was a very active scholar, attending the subscription schools six months out of each year, until he was eighteen years old, and when the weather was too wet to go to school, helped his father in the forge; was married Aug. 8, 1850, to Miss Mary Anne Hill, daughter of Richard and Frances Hill, by "Squire George Wright. They have had fourteen children: George W., John R., Mary J., Sarah A., Nancy M., Lucinda C., Robert Lee, James W., Isaac S., and Ida L. (twins), Margaret M., Cynthia A., Clarinda F. and Charles E. Of this large family Mary J., Isaac S. and Ida L. died when very young; John R. was killed while attending at a sorghum mill. Mr. Fanning is a devoted Democrat, and represents his people at the county conventions; has been a school director, and supervisor of roads, is a mighty hunter, even as "Nimrod before the Lord," and in conjunction with Dan Vertrees and Rike Rimbey, have killed, since 1865, more than fifty wolves; at one time killed so many that there was not money enough in Greene Co. to pay up; and is universally liked by all shades of opinion.
FANNING, JOHN B. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 31, P.O. Youngblood, oldest son of Robert and Mary Fanning, the grandfather of John, it may be well to state here, set out for the far west as early as 1825, making the trip in a two-wheeled cart, similar in construction to those now used in cities. Robert, Father of the subject of this sketch, in early youth left Tennessee, traveling the entire distance on foot; he located in Morgan Co. near Jacksonville, stopping but a short time, he made his way to Arkansas; he did not remain long, however, until he again came to Morgan Co. where he purchased 150 acres of land; he married Miss Mary McCurley, daughter of Joseph McCurley, a native of Alabama, in 1836. Eight children; five are now living: Sarah J., William T., Mary E., Robert, and John B. He became the owner of 420 acres of land, working at first by the month for small wages, by energy he succeeded well in life. He died in 1876. Mrs. F. still survives. John B. attended to the farm duties from the time he was old enough. He first attended school when they were taught by subscription; when twenty years of age he married Miss Amelia Jane Tribble, daughter of William and Martha Tribble; twelve children; ten living: Robert T., Mary E., Andrew, Nancy C., Joseph S., Richard A., Sarah, Thos. J. and Laura A. (twins), and Harvey M. Mr. Fanning owns seventy-three acres; for four years has held the position of constable.
FANNING, ROBERT D. farmer and stock raiser, Secs. 22 and 23, P.O. Franklin. Mr. F. was born in what is now termed Youngblood Prairie, Morgan Co. His preliminary education was received in subscription schools, and afterward completed in the district schools, when they began to play an important part in the education of the youth. Shortly before attaining his majority, Mr. Fanning came into possession of land - the estate of Jacob Fanning, his father, who died during his early childhood days. At twenty-two he was united in the bonds of matrimony to Miss Elizabeth E. Nall, daughter of John and Elizabeth. By this marriage four children: Andrew J., born 1861; Cora, born 1863; Edgar, born 1868; Oliver, born 1873; Andrew died Sept. 4, 1862. Mr. Fanning owns sixty-three acres in the neighborhood of the old home property.
FANNING, SAMPSON (deceased), farmer, Sec. 8; son of Joseph Fanning, native of Virginia; moved many years ago to the State of Tennessee. This genealogy of this old pioneer family points with satisfaction to the chivalrous Celtic race of Ireland, the grandsires emigrating to the Western hemisphere when the county was under the control of British rule. During the American Revolution, the father of our subject often gave news to the Colonial army under Washington, of the whereabouts of the skulking Tories. The family was very large. In 1821, Sampson Fanning moved, with his brothers, in a covered wagon, and by the regular overland route; settling on a tract of land in Madison Co., and soon erected the pioneer's palatial domicile - a hewn log house - and in 1823, moved to Morgan Co., setting in T. 14, R. 9. He left home without his father's consent; he was then living in Alabama, and was only fifteen years old. Mr. Fanning was born in Virginia, about the year 1808, and followed the fortunes of his father's life to the date of his marriage. The first present offered him was a hatchet. His education was neglected, hence he was not gifted with the knowledge of books, but had in lieu, a bright, well balanced brain power, that made him equal to the emergency of after events. For many years he employed his life and energies in working on the farm, as a farm hand, until 1825, when his father and the balance of the family moved from the "Sunny South" and cast their lot with the few inhabitants scattered over the wild and sparsely settled prairies of Illinois. The father, Joseph Fanning, settled on a tract of land in T. 13, now well known as "Fanning's Point". The worthy deceased of whom we write, was married to Miss Althea Criswell; they have had eleven children: their first child was a daughter, who died in infancy; George W., Patience C., Anna, William F., Mary E., Matilda J., Margaret R., Andrew J., Sarah A., and Caroline - of these children, George married Miss Whitlock; Anna, George Criswell; W. F., Miss Nancy Morland; Margaret, Charles Reaugh; Patience C., Thomas Severe; Matilda, George W. Spencer, and Mary, Uriah Phillips. After marriage settled on Sec. 8, on "Pepper Hill", and for nearly forty years followed the pursuits of an honest farmer, and died in 1875; his wife survives him, to relate the incidents of their wedded life in the log cabin. During the war, George W. enlisted in Co. F, 101st Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was, on muster into the service, elected Captain; the regiment having been ordered to the "seat of war," this noble Morgan County legion preceded with dispatch to the Sunny South, and ere the boys had forgotten home and fireside, or were inured to war's alarms, eight companies were captured at Holly Springs, Mississippi. Prior to this reverse, Captain Fanning had contracted the plague of the army, chronic diarrhoea, which disease incapacitated him for duty. He was honorably discharged from the service. In the Spring of 1863, he entered the mercantile business in Murrayville, having a large interest in a flouring mill; he continued in this business until 1867, when he was elected treasurer and assessor of Morgan County; on the expiration of his first term he was re-elected by a handsome majority; in 1872 connected his interests with Mr. Paradice, and bought the Sentinel, and for many years, by his sagacious judgment, did much to build up the shattered fortunes of the Democratic party. Captain Fanning is universally beloved by all parties, creeds, and conditions, being a liberal thinker, and an urbane gentleman, who respects the wishes of high and low alike.
FANNING, W. T., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 13, P.O. Youngblood. William was the fourth child of Robert and Mary Fanning, natives of Tennessee and Alabama. Robert F. who settled in this county prior to the deep snow, was born about the year 1816; of his early life but little is known; he was raised a farmer boy, and received a common school education; when thirteen years of age his parents emigrated to Illinois, nearly the entire distance being walked, as the slow-moving wagon must at times have been monotonous. Remaining but a short time in Illinois after his arrival, Robert Fanning removed to Arkansas; a somewhat noted shot, a great portion of his time was spent in pursuit of the deer, doing his first work by the month no doubt; the little money thus received was a source of pride and gratification, for it was generally of an unknown quality. He married in his eighteenth year, Miss Mary McCurley. To illustrate the thrifty habits of this youthful couple, it may be stated that as children grew up around them, the wife and mother wove and spun the garments for their wear; the husband, after a hard day's work on the farm, fashioned boots and shoes for the children. Robert became a successful farmer by energy and judgment; he departed this life Sept. 18, 1877, and as an upright citizen this short sketch is of interest to the many western people who knew him in life. W. T. Fanning was born in Morgan Co., August, 1843; he received a liberal education, and at eighteen married Miss Rebecca Brown, a daughter of John and Sarah; becoming heir to part of the old homestead property. Mr. F. is the owner of 105 acres; born and bred to farm life, he understands every detail of the duties incumbent upon it. Eight children; six living: George W., Charles E., Francis S., Thomas, Laura B., and Robert S.
FEORE, JAMES, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 17, P.O. Franklin. The gentleman who heads this sketch was born in Limerick County, Ireland, as near as can be ascertained, in 1846; in early infancy his father died, and his mother, left to the care of a growing family, concluded to emigrate from the Old World to the New, crossing the broad Atlantic in a sailing vessel, bound for the southern port of New Orleans; shortly after arrival, Mrs. F., attacked with yellow fever, succumbed to that fatal disease, finding a last resting_place in Southern soil; the oldest of the children was John, then in his twentieth year, took charge of the family of seven children; at St. Louis, his means limited, he was compelled to transfer the children to an orphan asylum; James, the younger, remained two years, and then entered the employ of Patrick Crotick, of Missouri, two years, and then moved to Bunker Hill, Macoupin County, Illinois, where he first worked for John Kane, five years; for neighboring farmers he worked by the month, until he married, in 1876, Mrs. Jane Feore, relict of Martin Feore, his brother; parents of Mrs. F. were Michael and Catherine Kane, natives of Ireland, who afterward removed to America, first settling in the city of New Orleans, where Mrs. Feore was born, in 1850. The estate comprises 160 acres of valuable land.
FERGUSON, A., farmer for Dr. Brown. Sec. 28, T. 15-8, P.O. Alexander; was born in this county in 1836; enlisted in Co. D 101st Ill. Volunteer Infantry and discharged after two years service for disability; was at the siege of Vicksburg and the battles of Holly Springs, Mission Ridge, Resaca, and Dallas; married Lucinda Tunnell in 1855; she was born in Macoupin Co. in 1839; have eight children living: William T., Albert J., Susie E., Lizzie, Ida, Benny, Edith, and Horace; holds the office of school director.
FERGUSON, BENJAMIN, farmer, Sec. 2, P.O. Jacksonville; born in Cumberland County, Ky., May 7, 1802; came to Illinois in 1830, and settled in Morgan County, and engaged in black smithing, which he followed for many years; was married to Susan Sandusky, Dec. 6, 1820; she was born near Lexington Ky., Feb. 15, 1798, and died Jan. 9, 1861; their children are: Emeline, William, Willis (dead), Nancy, Annie (dead), Champion, Anthony, Hannah, Francis M.; was married second time, to Matilda Masters, Aug. 20, 1868; she was born in Overton County, Tenn., Sept. 17, 1816; she came to Illinois with her father, Robert Masters, in 1834; he died Feb. 19, 1870; Mr. Ferguson is a member of the M. E. Church; the farm where he lives was deeded to him by Mrs. Strawn, for his valuable services during the lifetime of Jacob Strawn.
FERGUSON, CHAMPION, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 1, P.O. Jacksonville; was born in Morgan County, July 2, 1833; served three years in the army, Co. D, 101st Regt. Ill. Vol. Inft.; was married to Virginia H. Harney, Oct. 19, 1865; she was born in Morgan County, June 15, 1833; no children; owns a farm of 100 acres, valued at $5,000.
FERGUSON, MARION, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 15, P.O. Waverly. But little over half a century ago, the war whoop of the Indian resounded over the prairies of Illinois, where we now see improved farms; through the tall prairie grass roamed the mighty buffalo, undisturbed by the deadly rifle; everywhere nature's wilderness, unbroken by the tread of the white man, save the daring hunter or trapper who fled from the encroachments of civilization. In 1830, accompanied by his wife and children, Mr. Ferguson, father of Marion, set out for Illinois in a covered wagon, drawn by one yoke of oxen; locating in Morgan County, he purchased land from speculators near what is now the village of Woodson; having no capital he was unable to meet his payments, and accordingly rented property of Jacob Strawn, for 22 years; he married Miss Susanna Sandusky, of Kentucky; they have 9 children: William, Emeline, Wallace, Nancy, Jemima, Champion, Anthony, Hannah, and Marion, the subject of this sketch, who was born in Morgan County, 1841; he was educated at a subscription school; in his twentieth year he married Julia A. Angelo, daughter of David R. Angelo; on September 2, 1862, he responded to the call for troops, enlisting in Company D, 101st Illinois Regiment, at Jacksonville; engaged in battles at Vicksburg, Missionary Ridge, Resaca, Dallas, and Peachtree Creek, and through Sherman's Atlanta campaign; mustered out at Washington, D. C.; was honorable discharged at Springfield, Illinois, at the close of the war; there are six children living: Winnie, Walter, Harden H., Alice, Hattie, and Mary.
FLEMING, CHARLES E., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 22, P.O. Waverly; was born in Cass County, Illinois, March 9, 1851; at the age of three years his parents moved to Morgan County, settling near Waverly; Charles received a liberal education, sitting on a rude wooden bench in a log gave the necessary light, and ventilation was abundant; in 1872 he united his fortunes to Miss Lucy Teel, daughter of James and Valeria Teel; two children blessed this union: Ernest, born October 6, 1873, and Leonard, February 17, 1876.
FLEMING, ROBERT, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 15, P.O. Waverly. Mr. Fleming, one of the early residents of Morgan County, was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, November, 1824. In the Spring of 1838, the family transferring their household effects on a flatboat, the little party floated down the Ohio river, and located at Golconda, Illinois; there resided five years, receiving part of his education ; at the end of this time the family plunged farther into the interior of the State: they resided at Alton one year; thence to Exeter, where he resided fifteen years; there he formed the acquaintance of Miss S.A. Crabtree, daughter of John Crabtree; they were married January, 1847; remained in Exeter three years; after this, then moved to Cass County, six miles east of Beardstown; there followed the occupation of farmer; formerly Mr. Fleming was a cooper; in 1855, he located on the farm which he now owns; this appears to be his true vocation, for he became a very successful farmer; at one time he owned 280 acres; now owns 240, on which he erected an elegant residence; they had ten children, nine of whom are now living: William C., Charles E., Granville, John S., James, Nettie M., Ettie, Alma E., Luannice; Clarissa C., deceased.
FLEMING, WM. C., school teacher and farmer, Sec. 15, P.O. Waverly. Oldest son of Robert and S.A. Fleming, born in Exeter, Illinois, July 17, 1848; in the district schools of Cass County, where the family afterward moved, he received his preliminary education, which was afterward completed in Morgan County; at the age of nineteen he became a teacher, which vocation he has since followed successfully; April 3, 1872, he married Miss Sarah F. Morris, a daughter of Jas. and Nancy Morris; two children: Robert L., born July, 1874, Clara M., April, 1876.
FLIGG, GEORGE, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 4, P.O. Lynnville; he was born in Morgan County, Oct. 12, 1847; his father, John Fligg, was one of the early settlers in Morgan County; George was married to Mary Jane Stephenson; she was born in England; their children are: John T., born Sept. 23, 1870; Charles, July 17, 1873; Jessie B., Jan. 11, 1875; Joseph, Dec. 11, 1876; farm of 80 acres; Has served several years as town trustee.
FLINN, H. W. farmer and stock dealer, Sec. 29, P.O. Prentice; was born in this precinct in 1837, and has always lived here; married Elizabeth Stout in 1866; she was born in this county in 1845; have two children living; his father, Z. W. Flinn, was the pioneer of this precinct; he was born in North Carolina, and came to Kentucky, and then to this county in 1818, where he died Dec. 1, 1868; owns 400 acres valued at $20,000, and is one of the largest stock dealers in this county.
FOREAKER, JOHN JUSTICE, farmer and constable, Sec. 15, P.O. Meredosia; Greenback party; Christian church; born in Marion Co., Ohio, Oct, 19, 1848; left in 1859, going to Cumberland Co. with his parents. In this county, he enlisted in Co. K, 143d Ill. Infantry, May 16, 1864; discharged Sept. 26, 1864; engaged in a skirmish at Memphis, Tenn., while guarding a provision train. At Helena, Arkansas, he and his company passed most of their time while in service. From here he returned home. Married Oct. 14, 1874, to Louisa Friday, or in German Freitag, born in Germany, Aug. 18, 1853; have one child _ Ellen, born Jan. 17, 1875. His father, Joseph, was born in Hocking Co., Ohio, Jan. 29, 1820; his mother was Mary Ann Burgoon, born in Hocking Co., Ohio, Jan. 26, 1820; his grandfather, Joshua Foreaker, born in Pennsylvania; died in Cumberland Co., Ill. His grandmother, Elizabeth Foreaker, died 1840. Father and mother now living at Mound Station, Brown Co., Ill. Louisa, wife of J.J. Foreaker, was raised by Mr. William Post, justice of the peace of Sec. 15, and owing to this she speaks English only, although her parents speak German and very little English. His grandfather, James Burgoon, died in Hocking County, Ohio, in 1860. His grandmother. Mrs. James Burgoon, died in 1877.
FROMME, WILLIAM (deceased). During his life was a farmer in the township of Franklin. He was born April 22, 1827, in Prussia, Germany, and there lived until the years of manhood _ occupation farmer; was married in 1859 to Miss Rosina Donnar. For the space of three years lived on the farm, and to better his fortune, left the little German home across the sea for America. After a long voyage, landed at New Orleans. From there he wended his way to the fertile prairies of Illinois, settling in Morgan, where he first hired out to the neighboring farmers by the month. Two years later his wife and family joined him. He then rented a farm for a number of years, afterward purchased a good farm and owned at the time of his demise, 190 acres, well improved, which he gained by many years of honest toil and economy. For many years was extensively engaged in buying stock for home consumption. During the Spring of 1874 Mr. Fromme was attacked by dyspepsia which baffled the attempts of the skillful physician to cure, and after a long and protracted illness, he passed peacefully away Dec. 28th, 1875. He was an energetic worker, and this, perhaps, hastened his death. He left to the care of his devoted wife five children: Mary, Frank, John, William and Gertrude.
FRY, MILTON (deceased), who made a home on the prairies of Illinois, shortly after the ever memorable "deep snow" of 1831, deserves more than a passing notice; was born Sept. 11, 1803, in Kentucky, where his grandsires had settled in an early day, and it was amid the scenes of the blue grass country that young Milton passed the days of his boyhood until the maturer years of ripe manhood, when in 1831 he married Miss Letitia D. Devore, daughter of John Devore, native of Kentucky. On his arrival in Illinois, settled in Morgan County on the farm now owned by Mrs. John Fry; he purchased a very large tract of land, and at one time owned more than 1,000 acres. It is highly probable that Mr. Fry was quite wealthy when he first settled in Illinois; at all events, he acquired real estate very rapidly, many purchases being effected as early as 1835 or 1840, deeds being granted with signatures of Presidents Van Buren and Jackson attached; where he lived was held in high esteem, always taking a leading position in the agricultural enterprises of the county. After a life of usefulness, ever hospitable and economical, he departed this life June 16, 1865, and was buried in the family burying_ground of John Devore; his honored spouse had many years preceded him. He left a family of five children: Samantha, who married Arthur Harmon, and who died in June, 1877; Lemira, who married Cyrus Curtis, and died in 1870; John D. was married to Anna M. Howe, daughter of Aaron and Mary A. Howe, and who died in February, 1873; Letitia B., who married James C. Gillem, a resident of Logan County, and Minnie A., who now resides in Jacksonville. Mrs. Fry now resides on part of the old homestead, comprising 265 acres; she was born in Washington Co., Ohio, in 1843, where her father, Aaron Howe, was a farmer the greater portion of his life; in 1860, Mr. Howe removed to Morgan Co.; six children, four living: Eliza, George, Granville, and Anna. This sketch would be incomplete were we to forget the heroic life of John D. Fry, who, when our country was in the throes of a life struggle for the perpetuation of liberty, enlisted September, 1862, in Co. I, 101st Regt. Ill. Vols., and followed the fortunes of that command in field and camp until discharged, June, 1865.
1878 index page.
Morgan County main page